Is it safe to run the Projector for long periods of time..5 to 7 hours - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sanyo Z4 and between my job and kids, I do not get a chance to watch a movie and catch up on all my Fav shows until the weekend. I then end up running the projector for 6-8 hours. I have a HP screen so 90% of viewing is done in Eco mode.
Just wanted to make sure that its safe for teh projector to run for that long or do I need to break the viewing period into blocks of 4 hours etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That depends on the PJ. I run mine anywhere between 4 and 9 hours at a time (I can't remember the last time I only ran it for less than 4 hours). One time (when there was an auto race that I wanted to watch) I had it on for 13 hours straight (turned it on at 1:00 PM and off around 2:00 AM the next morning).

When we turn ours on, we use it to watch TV, 1 or 2 movies, and then more TV. We're night-owls (and retired) and the PJ gets turned on at sundown (2-4 nights a week) and stays on until we finally go to bed. We love to watch "Sunrise Earth" on the Discovery HD Theater (on the big screen), which comes on at 4:00 AM, here on the West Coast.

The only problem case I've heard of was with with Panasonic. An Austrailian member had a lamp failure (within the factory warranty period) and was refused warranty replacement because he operated his PJ for more than 4 hours at a time and more than 8 (or was it 12?) hours in a single week.

As long as the filters are cleaned regularly (I clean mine at least every week) and your room is under 72 to 75 degrees (F), there shouldn't be a problem with any PJ running for an extended time. Double check your manual to see if they have mentioned any operating time restrictions. Running a LCD PJ for 24/7 (or even 16/7) is not recommended, however.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #3 of 33 Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, when I was first researching projectors, I read (and I can't find the article now) that DLPs can be run for many hours at a time, but not LCDs because the panels are vulnerable to the heat generated by the lamp. The DMD in a DLP projector, on the other hand, is away from the lamp's heat.

I don't think 5 hours or so would be too much, but check the manual to see what it says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM
FAR

I have been running my 1000u with an average of 5hrs a day, no problem.
post #5 of 33 Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Found the online owners manual (I am at work).
Under "Turning the projector OFF" instructions, the following is Noted:

"Do not operate the projector continuously without rest. Continuous use may result in shortening the lamp life. Turn off the projector for about an hour in every 24 hours."
post #6 of 33 Old 04-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

My NEC DLP PJ is often on 10-12 hours a day. So far in the nearly two years that we've had it, no problems.
post #7 of 33 Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 AM

I inadvertantly left my Panny 300u on for 4 days two weeks ago. I was trying to get a HD hockey game and forgot to turn it off when I couldn't tune it. AGH!
The projector was therefore left on with no signal

I thought I warped the panels - the fan is always left on high and the temp is around 70.

Seems fine however.

Would being on that long without a signal be more likely to damage the panels or shorten bulb life dramatically?
post #8 of 33 Old 04-22-2007, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
SirDrexl -- You are refering to TI's sponsored test (by an "independent lab". They ran a number of DLP and LCD PJs side by side (in a common room that wasn't that closely temperature controlled) for 24/7. The result was that the plastic polarizers in the LCD PJs eventually discolored (due to the excessive heat build-up). The DLP color wheeels didn't suffer that fate because they are further away form the lamp. The LCD panels, themselves, are not that vulnerable. This test was flawed because the PJs were not isolated from each other and the local thermal environment was not monitored.

Any electronic gear fails faster, the hotter it gets (a scientific, measured fact). I worked as a Reliability Engineer for many years in a spacecraft communications company. We performed a lot of those tests.

I don't think anyone argues that it it not wise to run a PJ for 24 hours straight. That is not the original question. As long as the PJ has adequate access to room temperature air (air flow is the key) that is not hotter than about 75 degrees (24 degrees C), then it should be Ok to run it for up to 16 hours (after which it should be left turned off for 8 hours, to let it recover). It is alos not a good idea to run these kinds of marathons very often. Running the PJ for 4 to 8 hours a day, several days a week, should not be a problem (even for LCD PJs). Doing this during the hot summertime weather, without air conditioning, is not a good idea.

My Mitsubishi HC3 LCD PJ is one of the cooler running ones and it's exhaust air temperature is 122 degrees (it has a temperature monitor). My MT700 (DLP), when it was running, pegged my thermocouple temperature monitor at 175 degrees (it's monitor indicated a temperature around 200+ degrees). These were at room temperatures around 70-72 degrees. The higher the lamp power, the hotter the PJ will get.

windsorite -- Your biggest problem is damage to the plastic polarizers (there are 3 - 1 for each color). The second problem is shortened lamp life. Remember, the lamp is on, even when there is no signal present. Leaving a LCD PJ on for 4 days straight, with or without a signal (it makes no difference) is not good. I'm surprised that you didn't hear the fan running.

Condsider yourself admonished and receiving 30 lashes with a wet noodle. By all means don't let that happen ever again! You should always check to see if your PJ has been turned off, before you go to bed!.

Remember, a PJ is not a TV set, and should not be treated as one. That is why I always use a regular TV for normal use (and trying to see what is on).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #9 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My old Hitachi HDPJ52's manual said not to use more than 6 hours a day.

LCD owners should be mindful of this.

Affable Nitwit
post #10 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
I added a little extra air movement and a method to measure temp to mine. Just moving a little air past the projector helped a lot when I leave it on all day.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800306

I used a indoor outdoor from radio shack top temp is room middle temp is output from projector. The one shown goes as high as 158F.

No filters to clean on the Sharp XR10X (sealed optics)

Bud
post #11 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I rarely leave mine on for more than 3 or 4 hours.
I do turn mine on for shortened periods occassionally. I watch the Sopranos on Sunday nights and Lost on Wednesdays and leave my PJ on for only about 60-90 minutes those days (generally) and I'll occassionaly watch shows in the morning before work. I won't go to my theater unless I have at least an hour, but if I go up there in the morning, generally it's only for an hour.

I haven't accidently left my projector on yet. I have left my AC running in the room or left the lights on, but so far, so good with the PJ.

post #12 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 AM

Though I have a few favorite tv shows, I dont think anything is worthy on TV to waste my bulb on. I have a nice 32 inch direct view for tv watching. I usually keep my pj (lcd) on for about 3 hrs max, shut it, let cool down and come back later for more viewing if I'm in the mood.
post #13 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScreenDude View Post

Though I have a few favorite tv shows, I dont think anything is worthy on TV to waste my bulb on. I have a nice 32 inch direct view for tv watching. I usually keep my pj (lcd) on for about 3 hrs max, shut it, let cool down and come back later for more viewing if I'm in the mood.

Part of me agrees, with the absolute exception of lost and sopranos.

post #14 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ive had my z3 for 2 years now, me and my roomate work different shifts, so its on every day for about 10-12 hrs, I have even had it on for about 18 hrs one time, damn roomate fell asleep with it on, i used to be anal about it but now im at 3100 hrs on the bulb and its still going strong, i have a very clean no dust environment and never turn on and off repeatedly, so im guessing that helps.
post #15 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
10 -12 hrs as of january, before i lived on my own, prob avg 4-5 hrs a day back then
post #16 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

windsorite -- Your biggest problem is damage to the plastic polarizers (there are 3 - 1 for each color). The second problem is shortened lamp life. Remember, the lamp is on, even when there is no signal present. Leaving a LCD PJ on for 4 days straight, with or without a signal (it makes no difference) is not good. I'm surprised that you didn't hear the fan running.

Condsider yourself admonished and receiving 30 lashes with a wet noodle. By all means don't let that happen ever again! You should always check to see if your PJ has been turned off, before you go to bed!.

Remember, a PJ is not a TV set, and should not be treated as one. That is why I always use a regular TV for normal use (and trying to see what is on).

CT_Weibe:

I did not hear the fan running even though I have it set to high. The PJ is in the basement and I generally only go down there to watch it.

You are so right. Up to that point, I have never had the PJ on for longer than 6 hours at any one time- generally for Superbowl type viewings.

I deserve at LEAST 30 lashes for that goof up!

I agree and I would never treat a PJ as a TV set. That is not what they are intended to be.

You comments about the polarizers are interesting. Would a very slight blue tinge on a white background indicate this? A polarizer going that is?

By the way I have always enjoyed your posts as they are always very helpful and informative.

I have about 1550 hours on the machine now.

Thanks
post #17 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 AM

My owners manual for my Optoma H31 says not to run mine for more then 8 hours a day, or it will void my warranty.
I don't run mine for more then that, and if I turn it on, I don't turn it on and off all the time. Once it is on, I let it run till I am sure it will be off for the rest of the day. Also, even though I don't live in a high altitude, I run my fan at that speed. The louder fan noise it makes doesn't bother me, and if it extends my bulb life keeping it cooler, then I will be happy I ran it this way.
post #18 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've run mine for extended periods of times quite a few times. As an example I'd turn it on during the day (usually a weekend) around 1 or 2pm to watch TV or hockey and then there would be a PPV event later that night (UFC/Pride or something) so I'd leave it on and my buddies would come over and we'd get all pissed up, head to the bar for a bit and then come back and I'd pass out before turning anything off. .

My bulbs just will not die. I'm running this PJ into the ground (Z2) and it just keeps taking the abuse I throw at it.
post #19 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister View Post

Part of me agrees, with the absolute exception of lost and sopranos.

I gave up on LOST, but I buy all Sopranos when they hit dvd - and those hit the PJ
post #20 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Front projectors are built to run for long periods of time. The bulbs last longer than stop-and-start running.

Wolfie
post #21 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't projectors made to be on? I mean, if they couldn't be on for extensive periods of time, then wouldn't they be faulty?
That's like saying if you drive long distances with your car you might damage it permanently.
Something like a projector that is made for one purpose only and that is to project an image and therefore be on, i doubt should be damaged if it does what it is intended to do, unless it is faulty in some way (are you listening Panasonic?)
post #22 of 33 Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
During the NFL season, my projector is typically on from the first pregame show (10am EST) until Sportscenter (11pm EST) ends. The rest of the year I'm a little more lenient on it.
post #23 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM

I'd be much more concerned about short cycling the power - like turning it off, then right back on. Lamp strikes are bad news for lamp life.

We have a rule - turn it on - leave it on for at least 30 min. Turn it off - leave it off for at least 30 min. If I don't plan on using it for an hour (say watched tv 8-9, but waiting for a 10-11 show to come on), I'll usually leave it on.

But I also run the bulb in eco and the fan at high speed, just in the hope I can squeeze a few more 100 hours out of it by keeping it as cool as possible.
post #24 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I didn't even realize it until just now, but I had my 4805 on for 14 hours yesterday. It was on from about 4:45pm until about 6:45-7:00AM.
post #25 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I don't get this "it's not a TV" line that I always see. I bought my PJ to use it and it gets used a lot. I treat it like my Sony 50a2000. Once it's turned on it stays on until it's not going to be used again. I think it is worse to turn it on and off.

As for bulb life, why should I let it prevent me from using the projector?

I looked in my manual (Hitachi tx100) and I couldn't find any mention of restricting the continuous on hours.
post #26 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 06:14 PM

I agree Greg63 i have given up on my traditional tv. When i get home its on untill i go to bed, and sometimes when i fall asleep i leave it on(sometimes i feel guilty about that) but who turns their tv on and off constantly? Most people have it on in the background all day and night. Mine is on about 14 hours a day. I bought it im using it. i can afford the lamp if it goes out, but damn it if im gonna worry about it!!

PS. now that ive been watching the projector ONLY for the last 8 months when i see a regular CRT TV i can see the interlacing like crazy, its horrible! it gives me a headache. I ask if anyone else sees them and no one can, then they say "Oh what is a regular tv not good enough anymore!? then, call me a snob for having and USING MY PROJECTOR AS A TV!!!!

I think my mask of sanity is about to slip
post #27 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

I think maybe us LCD owners worry more. Yeah, the bulbs cost the same, but it seems like the heat can cause permanent damage to LCD projectors. When I replace my lamp in 2000 hours, will my lcd panny be as good as new?
If a DLP user replaces the lamp in 2000 hours, is the projector about as good as new?

Maybe my next projector will be a dlp...

post #28 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Mine is an LCD because the DLP gives me a headache. I don't worry at all.
post #29 of 33 Old 04-24-2007, 08:06 PM

i think if i did have an LCD i still wouldnt worry about it. its like buying a cheap car and only driving it a few days a month 'cause you dont want to wear out the tires...its cheap drive the hell out of it!!! and have fun doing it!

I think my mask of sanity is about to slip
post #30 of 33 Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_63 View Post

Mine is an LCD because the DLP gives me a headache. I don't worry at all.

Same here. Plus I really like the colors on my LCD. When I upgrade from 480p I will stick with EPSON all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page