AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Official AX-200 Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/916011-official-ax-200-owners-thread.html)

davyo 09-30-2007 06:13 AM

Since the AX-200 is now shipping and being delivered to happy AVS members it seems that now is a good time to start the AX-200 thread.

Davyo

elmalloc 09-30-2007 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can only start this if you own one..j/k. =(

Buying one within the week.

rwestley 09-30-2007 06:31 AM

This should become the stickey thread for the AE200

elmalloc 09-30-2007 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ae or ax

davyo 09-30-2007 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

You can only start this if you own one..j/k. =(

Buying one within the week.

As much as I buy and sell projectors, I will most likely buy one, watch it and sell it on eBay before the week is even up .

Already ordered a new screen for the AX-200 last week from Visual Apex, that should arrive Mon or Tues, thats when I will order the AX-200.

Davyo

elmalloc 09-30-2007 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
which screen did you choose?

Capitol K 09-30-2007 11:54 AM

I've got an AE900 - is it worth it to upgrade to the AX200? (I just placed the order, so I hope the answer is yes! )

broadwayblue 09-30-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

ae or ax

The 200 is the AX. Its big brother, the 1080p 2000 is the AE.

broadwayblue 09-30-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

As much as I buy and sell projectors, I will most likely buy one, watch it and sell it on eBay before the week is even up .

Already ordered a new screen for the AX-200 last week from Visual Apex, that should arrive Mon or Tues, thats when I will order the AX-200.

Davyo

Just curious, how do you usually do on the resales? What % do you typically lose (or gain) on each sale?

davyo 09-30-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

which screen did you choose?

Ordered the Electric100H 100" screen from Visual Apex.

Davyo

davyo 09-30-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Just curious, how do you usually do on the resales? What % do you typically lose (or gain) on each sale?

I almost never loose money when I sell a projector, I will sell a PJ on eBay or from my local paper.
When I sold my AX100 I actualy made money cuz of the rebate.
I dont keep projectors forever, I try and sell them while they are still new'ish so I can always up-grade without loosing money.
I never look at it as "owning" a projector, I tend to look at it as "leasing" or "renting" a projector.
So far it has worked out pretty good.

Davyo

OldSlow 09-30-2007 04:08 PM

Will it be OK to use this PJ on a shelf as opposed to ceiling mount?
My ceiling is all drywalled in!

Fragster 09-30-2007 05:59 PM

Can we have any ACTUAL AX200 owner chime in perhaps? Right now, there are at least 3 separate threads for the AX200 so the mods might want to merge all these into this one (??).

I have some questions for actual owners but dunno which thread to post my questions in

Or shall I create yet another AX200 thread?

Frag

elmalloc 09-30-2007 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oldslow, look at projectorpeople - they have an article about the ax200u wiht youtube videos of people playing halo 3 on it (with lights on/off). its' shelf mounted there. superior machine, we all need one..

davyo 10-01-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol K View Post

I've got an AE900 - is it worth it to upgrade to the AX200? (I just placed the order, so I hope the answer is yes! )

Even the up-grade from the AE-900 to the AX-100 was well worth it, while the AX-200 probably will not be to much of a jump in PQ from the AX-100, going from a AE-900 to a AX-200 will be very much worth the investemnt.

So that would be a big YES.

Davyo

davyo 10-01-2007 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Can we have any ACTUAL AX200 owner chime in perhaps? Right now, there are at least 3 separate threads for the AX200 so the mods might want to merge all these into this one (??).

I have some questions for actual owners but dunno which thread to post my questions in

Or shall I create yet another AX200 thread?

Frag

Ditto to everything you said... except creating another AX-200 thread.

Davyo

phil7978 10-01-2007 06:10 PM

I have a dedicated mount for the AE900 and am considering the upgrade. Would anyone know if the same mounting plate for the AE900 would work on the AX200?

Sproket 10-01-2007 06:17 PM

I want to know more about the upgrade for the Iris?

james.92 10-01-2007 06:45 PM

Thanks for starting this thread.

Now if others will just stop creating all those other ones...

I plan to become an owner soon, but want to see one in the flesh first, so to speak. Can't find one in stock locally yet.

ToxinLab 10-02-2007 06:37 AM

I emailed projectorcentral asking about the review. The reply said it would be posted TODAY--so everyone check in there for the review.

NickTF 10-02-2007 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxinLab View Post

I emailed projectorcentral asking about the review. The reply said it would be posted TODAY--so everyone check in there for the review.

Ha, I wish they'd hurry, got the AMEX card ready! I started thinking the VP 4001 was where i'd want to be but it seems this panny projector is a much better option for me. Gotta love these forums when it comes to selecting equipment!

eddiwill 10-02-2007 06:44 AM

Here are the pics I promised in another thread. They are from HD broadcast "Dancing w/ the Stars"-- if you ever worry about WAF, you'll know why that's what I was able to get pics of last night!

PJ is shelf mounted, 3/4 up 8 foot wall, about 14 or so feet back from 106 inch WilsonArt DW screen. Bulb is in econo mode. Have not run DVE yet; will do so tonight.

Also, I have tried to see the dynamic iris at work. I've only got about 14 hours on it, but I think I might have seen it once. If that's all I think I see when I'm actually looking for it, I am very pleased with it indeed.
LL
LL
LL

eddiwill 10-02-2007 07:03 AM

Two more...
LL
LL

Scoot2300 10-02-2007 07:12 AM

After 200 hours of research..I just ordered my first projector and the AX200 won out. I cannot wait.

eddiwill 10-02-2007 07:14 AM

As I noted on the previous thread, this thing looks great in a pretty high amount of ambient light (the above pics were in controlled light environ,btw; the shots from The Office in the other thread were with a lot of ambient light).

Also, it will show you every flaw in the broadcast. If you are getting anything other than OTA HD, you WILL see the effects of the compression. Of course, that's the sat/cable folks and NOT the projector. In short, you want to feed it uncompressed HD whenever possible. Or at lest, a good upscaling DVD signal. I'll have pics of that hopefully tonight.

ed_robyn 10-02-2007 10:01 AM

Watched Aragon (wifes choice) and Employee of the Month(daughters choice) last night. On some of the scenes in Aragon where the character is in the foreground and the scenery is in the background it almost looks 3D and I'm viewing standard DVD's. Amazing.

I haven't calibrated mine yet but the colors and contrast out of the box looks great.

ToxinLab 10-02-2007 10:19 AM

I am about to dive in on the 200U, and I think I may be putting it to the ultimate test.

Light control is absolutely not possible. Take a look at my pics, and you will see why lumens and light harmonizer are BIG selling points for the Panny. Windows, windows, and more windows.

The screen in a Da-Lite HiPower 106". You can see the pigtail of cables ready for the PJ. That is about 14' from the screen.

These were all taken right after the remodel and before we moved the speakers, components, and furniture in. Obviously we will not be watching movies sitting on that table.

I would appreciate any comments or ideas.

elmalloc 10-02-2007 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it's meant for an HDVD/blu ray player. Do yousrself a favour and pick up a tosh STAT if you don't have one.

I dare you to watch planet earth (HD) on it.

jsil 10-02-2007 11:11 AM

10 Attachment(s)
I'm getting mine on Thursday and will test it with HD DVD and Blu Ray. I have the wall painted with goosystems Digital Gray paint 110".

OldSlow 10-02-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

it's meant for an HDVD/blu ray player. Do yousrself a favour and pick up a tosh STAT if you don't have one.

I dare you to watch planet earth (HD) on it.

Looking forward to Watching Planet Earth HD on the Toshiba.

Prolly be the first disc I try on the new PJ!

NickTF 10-02-2007 12:09 PM

where's the review, i'm dying here!

Lubmo 10-02-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

where's the review, i'm dying here!

Yeah, me too. But why wouldn't he draw it out and jack up his site hits - hell I have probably gave him 10 bucks in clicks already Oh the anticipation.

elmalloc 10-02-2007 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"what taking pjcentral so long"
lol i love saying that everyday.

Jason Falejczyk 10-02-2007 12:57 PM

at PC

Jason Falejczyk 10-02-2007 01:09 PM

The PC review says a 2 year warranty, while Visual Apex and Projector People state 1 year on their site.

Which is it?

Edit:
Warranty: Two years when purchased through Panasonic authorized dealers (update from initial release information which stated one year).

Mark F 10-02-2007 01:10 PM

All that and a 2 year warranty
C'mon Fed Ex

elmalloc 10-02-2007 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Jason Falejczyk 10-02-2007 01:51 PM

Before I buy, I need to make sure I completely understand the vertical lens shift on this. I almost bought the Marantz VP4001, but realized I could not use it due to the fixed offset.

Here's the facts: 16:9 100" diagonal (49" x 87") SmX AT Screen. According to the throw charts, I can mount this as close as 10' 2" away. I will probably be somewhere between 10.5 - 11'. btw, is this distance from center of lens to center of screen?

My question is with vertical lens shift. With it being inverted and ceiling mounted, what is the minimum and maximum distance from the center of the lens to the top of the projected image? Is there an ideal amount? Is vertical lens shift and keystone adjustment the same thing?

I am building the screen wall right now, where the screen with be somewhat inset into the wall. I need to nail down a height from the ceiling for the screen.

In case it matters, the ceiling is only 89" tall, and I would ideally like to mount the projector as close to the ceiling as possible (flush mount?). I'm not sure if this is possible due to needing adequate ventilation.

Can someone please provide specific and concrete numbers so I can order this dang thing and stop obsessing on this thread!

Thanks!
Jason

Jason Falejczyk 10-02-2007 01:58 PM

I saw this on one of the authorized dealers sites regarding the warranty.

1 year warranty. 1 year or 2000 hour optical engine warranty, whichever comes first.

They obviously have not updated it to two years since it's been announced, but the 2000 hour limit sure caught my attention. Do you mean to tell me this warranty is like a flippin automobile: duration of time or mileage, whichever comes first!

I sure hope the newly announced two year warranty does not have this condition attached.

Mark F 10-02-2007 02:41 PM

Vertical lens shift is a different animal from Keystone. The image can be adjusted I believe 2 1/2 image heights without using Keystone which should give a wide range of mounting options. You can view and download the actual spec sheets here
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...ax200spec.html

As far as the warranty, I was under the impression it was a straight up 1 year warranty until I read the review on Projector Central.

buddahead 10-02-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Falejczyk View Post

Before I buy, I need to make sure I completely understand the vertical lens shift on this. I almost bought the Marantz VP4001, but realized I could not use it due to the fixed offset.

Here's the facts: 16:9 100" diagonal (49" x 87") SmX AT Screen. According to the throw charts, I can mount this as close as 10' 2" away. I will probably be somewhere between 10.5 - 11'. btw, is this distance from center of lens to center of screen?

My question is with vertical lens shift. With it being inverted and ceiling mounted, what is the minimum and maximum distance from the center of the lens to the top of the projected image? Is there an ideal amount? Is vertical lens shift and keystone adjustment the same thing?

I am building the screen wall right now, where the screen with be somewhat inset into the wall. I need to nail down a height from the ceiling for the screen.

In case it matters, the ceiling is only 89" tall, and I would ideally like to mount the projector as close to the ceiling as possible (flush mount?). I'm not sure if this is possible due to needing adequate ventilation.

Can someone please provide specific and concrete numbers so I can order this dang thing and stop obsessing on this thread!

Thanks!
Jason

Jason the ax200 will work no matter where you put your screen.You could put it around the corner and the ax200 lens shift will work as most LCD will.
BOB

buddahead 10-02-2007 02:48 PM

Looks like another 5 stars across the board for the ax200.WOW.Now I wish they would use the d7 panels in the ax200 soon.Who needs dim 1080p.What a price and no stinking rebates/BOB

Jason Falejczyk 10-02-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

As far as the warranty, I was under the impression it was a straight up 1 year warranty until I read the review on Projector Central.

I called Panasonic on this, and they are unaware of the change from 1 to 2 as well. He apparently is going to be finding out and emailing me. As soon as I know, you will as well.

broadwayblue 10-02-2007 03:25 PM

Sounds like another winner from Panasonic. Too bad Projector Central had nothing to say about the effect of Smooth Screen (or lack thereof) on the apparent sharpness of the projected image.

sketch2099 10-02-2007 03:34 PM

I've had my AX200 since last Friday, and I've LOVED it! Of course I only had a 27" 8 year old Panasonic TV before this, so the transition is pretty big. I've watched 1080p material from HD DVD, played Bioshock and Halo3 on the 360, and played Metroid Prime 3 on my Wii (talk about immersive!), and I couldn't possibly imagine being more satisfied with what I payed for this PJ. I can't believe people pay several thousand dollars for miniscule 60" TVs. What a waste. Anyways, that's my impression, and I'm watching it on a ugly cream colored wall. I need to get a screen, and I don't know enough about them to determine what would be best for this light cannon. It could definitely use some improvement in contrast, so I'm helping others with the AX200 or the AX100 could give their input.

buddahead 10-02-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Sounds like another winner from Panasonic. Too bad Projector Central had nothing to say about the effect of Smooth Screen (or lack thereof) on the apparent sharpness of the projected image.

Did you even read the review blue.Over and over they mention the sharpness was compared to 1080p fp.What the heck more do you need.I am sick of this SS bashing by trolls who have never even seen a ax100 or ax200.UNREAL THESE TROLLS

elmalloc 10-02-2007 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lol bob. it's a $1300 PJ. if anyone's being picky they're being a tightwad in the PJ realm....=X

Fragster 10-02-2007 03:53 PM

Count me in for the AX200.......will be ordering it tomorrow. To think that I almost spent $1699 on the Ax100 a month ago

Frag

elmalloc 10-02-2007 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Frag you wanna play halo 3 co op with me whilst we both utilize ax200s?

OldSlow 10-02-2007 04:42 PM

Mine is on the way...hopefully Friday! I'm stoked!!!!

ukap44 10-02-2007 04:46 PM

anyone know how this projector looks using component connections?

ukap44 10-02-2007 04:47 PM

What screens work best with this projector?

Fragster 10-02-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Frag you wanna play halo 3 co op with me whilst we both utilize ax200s?

In a month when I move in my new house and get the Panny in its well-deserved home theater room....

I know I should wait till I move in and then order the AX200 but my other non-reasoning self may order it tomorrow.

Frag

Rahl 10-02-2007 05:43 PM

I put in my order today for one. I'm upgrading from a 4805 on a 120" screen to this. Can't wait!!

mjn 10-02-2007 06:03 PM

Why is the shadow detail improvement mentioned only for gaming. Wouldn't this feature help movie watching greatly?

CaspianM 10-02-2007 06:20 PM

Any vertical stretch?
In cinema mode has same or lower lumen as Sony AW15.
I am looking for ansi and color quality report if it does vertical stretch.

Paints 10-02-2007 06:28 PM

How does the AX200U fare when showing SD DVD's?

BAD_TCR 10-02-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

In a month when I move in my new house and get the Panny in its well-deserved home theater room....

I know I should wait till I move in and then order the AX200 but my other non-reasoning self may order it tomorrow.

Frag

I'm in the exact same situation...closing on the 30th and sooooo close to pulling the trigger...only thing I'm thinking about holding out for is the AE-2000U due at the end of the month, but the price for the 200 is just so good!

Anthony Cler 10-02-2007 07:25 PM

Same here. My home's still under construction and we probably won't close until the end of the year, but I'm still tempted. I think I'm going to hold out to see the reviews and street prices of the new 1080p units before I make a decision. In the end, I may end up with the AX-200 and that way I won't feel as bad when I get the upgrade bug again next year. I figure by this time next year, we'll see 1080p units with better blacks, brighter whites and much lower prices to boot!

davyo 10-02-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Did you read the same review we all just did ?
Perhaps you should re-read the review as it did address and talk about how sharp the picture was with the smoothscreen.

Davyo

sketch2099 10-03-2007 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn View Post

Why is the shadow detail improvement mentioned only for gaming. Wouldn't this feature help movie watching greatly?

no because it sacrifices black levels to bring out those shadow details, the ax200 has much better modes for movie viewing

sketch2099 10-03-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paints View Post

it does a great job, especially with an upscaling player, but be warned, you will find out how badly compressed some of your dvd's are (a big budget movie like spiderman 2 looks great, whereas an indie film like waking life shows all it's flaws)

buddahead 10-03-2007 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Any vertical stretch?
In cinema mode has same or lower lumen as Sony AW15.
I am looking for ansi and color quality report if it does vertical stretch.

The ax200 does vertical strech for CH setup.In vivid cinema mode which is killer it is about 750 lumen.I myself like using normal for movies which is about 1000 lumen.Do not compare the aw15 dim sony to the ax200.I have seen both.The sony looks fine on a 90in screen,But if one has 100in or larger the ax200 will blow it out of the water.Also the ax200 can be used for Sports such as HDTV NFL FOOTBALL with lights on and put out a plasma like pic.The sony would be totally washed out and look like crap.The aw15 sony is not even in the same ballpark.Do not let these poor saps that wasted their money on the sony tell you different.bob

buddahead 10-03-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paints View Post

Paints if you use one of the hddvd players that can be had now for $299 it does great,The player is what is needed and the hddvd players are great at doing it.Get the new Tosh A30 it does 1080p 24fps which the ax200 excepts.This provides a pic about as good as it gets.Some of my sdvds look allmost as good as hddvds do.BOB

elmalloc 10-03-2007 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is the a30/a35 better than the xa2?

I heard it's not the same processor...I want the best SD/DVD/HD pic along with 5.1 analog outs...

chaostm 10-03-2007 04:11 AM

I would really like to buy this pj but I made very bad experiences with the ae700 and ae900.

Both machines had defective blue lcd panels after ~ 3000 hours (or 15 month) which was not covered by warrenty (1 year) and I had to replace both.

I`m a very heavy user and use them for almost everything (sdtv, gaming, dvds, hd-dvds, blu-rays.. etc).

Has this problem been solved or are they still using the old organic panels ??

..2 years warrenty would be perfect..

edit.: I really loved both panny`s because of the smoothscreen thing, which is perfect for me (very close viewing distance), but 15 month lifespan is poor.

buddahead 10-03-2007 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostm View Post

I would really like to buy this pj but I made very bad experiences with the ae700 and ae900.

Both machines had defective blue lcd panels after ~ 3000 hours (or 15 month) which was not covered by warrenty (1 year) and I had to replace both.

I`m a very heavy user and use them for almost everything (sdtv, gaming, dvds, hd-dvds, blu-rays.. etc).

Has this problem been solved or are they still using the old organic panels ??

..2 years warrenty would be perfect..

edit.: I really loved both panny`s because of the smoothscreen thing, which is perfect for me (very close viewing distance), but 15 month lifespan is poor.

Not to be a ******* here chaostm but FP are really not design for heavy use.It says that in the manual.If you get 3000 hours on your projector in 18 months then How can you complain.I have 300 hours on my 14 month old ax100.I only use it for movies.Hell for what the ax200 sells for replace it every year or buy 2.BOB

Vinculum 10-03-2007 04:43 AM

I'd love to know someones impressions of text readablility connected via HDMI to a PC?

So far, looks great. This would give me that plasma-like pop in a dark room, and hold me over 'till 1080+ LASER comes out!

Dr V

cyberheater 10-03-2007 05:04 AM

Quote:

FTW: Winner - http://www.projectorcentral.com/pana..._projector.htm

What a crap review. It doesn't even mention the projectors black level and contrast performance.

chaostm 10-03-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Not to be a ******* here chaostm but FP are really not design for heavy use.It says that in the manual.If you get 3000 hours on your projector in 18 months then How can you complain.I have 300 hours on my 14 month old ax100.I only use it for movies.Hell for what the ax200 sells for replace it every year or buy 2.BOB

you are right.. I will have to live with that and replace the pj every 18 month..(or switch to an anorganic 1080p lcd/lcos next year)

But there is absolutely NO WAY to go back to `normal` tv/hd viewing on those small plasmas or lcds

I will order the ax200u this or next week.

NickTF 10-03-2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

you are right.. I will have to live with that and replace the pj every 18 month..(or switch to an anorganic 1080p lcd/lcos next year)

But there is absolutely NO WAY to go back to `normal` tv/hd viewing on those small plasmas or lcds

I will order the ax200u this or next week.

Hold on, am I to understand that the LCD projectors have a service life of only 2 years or so before they are no good (not even after bulb replacement). Is this a non issue with DLP projectors (ofcourse given that you replace the bulbs)???

chaostm 10-03-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

Hold on, am I to understand that the LCD projectors have a service life of only 2 years or so before they are no good (not even after bulb replacement). Is this a non issue with DLP projectors (ofcourse given that you replace the bulbs)???

only if you abuse them, as I did.. 12 hours viewing on a row -> felt asleep and the pj ran all night = 20 hours in a row .. thats not good for the blue lcd panel

NickTF 10-03-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:

only if you abuse them, as I did.. 12 hours viewing on a row -> felt asleep and the pj ran all night = 20 hours in a row .. thats not good for the blue lcd panel

Ahh, ok. Wouldn't be an issue for me, 4400 watts of sound tends to keep one awake, ha ha

CaspianM 10-03-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

The ax200 does vertical strech for CH setup.In vivid cinema mode which is killer it is about 750 lumen.I myself like using normal for movies which is about 1000 lumen.Do not compare the aw15 dim sony to the ax200.I have seen both.The sony looks fine on a 90in screen,But if one has 100in or larger the ax200 will blow it out of the water.Also the ax200 can be used for Sports such as HDTV NFL FOOTBALL with lights on and put out a plasma like pic.The sony would be totally washed out and look like crap.The aw15 sony is not even in the same ballpark.Do not let these poor saps that wasted their money on the sony tell you different.bob

You really like to go to extreme bashing when it comes to Sony! Don't you?!!
Sony is brighter than panny when everything is said and done with movies with higher ansi and on/off. I own one and it is no dim with my 98"wide (not diagonal) but I am in the market for a pj with CH capability.

mjn 10-03-2007 07:10 AM

I had the AW15 for a while and I loved the deep rich blacks. I am having trouble moving to the Panny for this reason. The only reason I am thinking about the Panny is I may move out of my dark theater room with a 92" (diag) and into my basement living room area(with bar and lots of lights) and a 110" (diag.).

I need to see the AX200.

A couple of things are really worrying me.

"No because it sacrifices black levels to bring out those shadow details, the ax200 has much better modes for movie viewing"

and

The whole 10 hours in a row thing.

I see advertising for the Epson HC720 on this site but can't find out anything about it or the TW680.

I don't know what to do.

elmalloc 10-03-2007 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The "No, b/c it sacrifices black levels to bring out those shadow details" is in reference to the GAME mode of the AX200u.

mjn 10-03-2007 07:37 AM

I understand. I don't like the idea of less shadow detail in movie modes. I guess I want the best of both worlds. Maybe asking too much for the price.

elmalloc 10-03-2007 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For $1300, maybe...but he's referring to less shadow detail in GAME mode vs. it's own MOVIE mode (I imagine). So movie mode will still have shadow detail (i.e. contrast ratio) - but from what I read - not as good as the sony...

gmanGA 10-03-2007 08:00 AM

Do anyone know what's the HDMI version? Is it 1.0 or 1.3. Thanks.

Rod

CaspianM 10-03-2007 08:00 AM

Where do you all read all "not as good" about Sony?
AX200 only advanage is top lumen and CH. What is the warranty on ax200?
I don't mind to have a brighter pj but there is not such thing as free lunch and there are some compromises in PQ with bright pj's. As long as it is understood I have no problem with choosing one over the other.

j-bo 10-03-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Sony is brighter than panny

I don't know, where'd you read that?

CaspianM 10-03-2007 08:23 AM

In cinema mode it is. Check out the pjc for panny and sony cinema mode lumen reading.

union1411 10-03-2007 08:52 AM

what does this mean? i'm confused, since it's a 720p projector.

Quote:

Another capability that has begun to appear on many home theater projectors is the ability to accept and display a 1080p/24 signal. Panasonic introduced this on last year's AX100U, and the AX200U has it as well.

Brajesh 10-03-2007 09:07 AM

It accepts 1080p/24, but downscales it to its native 1280x720p resolution. PJC is saying the Panny AX200 does this well.

Jason Falejczyk 10-03-2007 09:12 AM

For those interested...

No direct reply yet from Panasonic, however I also sent an email to PJC in regards to their 2 year reference in their review. I received the following reply..

Panasonic product management confirmed it with me today prior to the posting of the review. It was a late change to the product that the dealers probably hadn't heard about yet.

evan

ed_robyn 10-03-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Both machines had defective blue lcd panels after ~ 3000 hours (or 15 month) which was not covered by warrenty (1 year) and I had to replace both

3000 hours in 15 months??!! That is an average of over 6 hours a day.........EVERY day, like 365 days per year. You really should get out more!!

ed_robyn 10-03-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

No direct reply yet from Panasonic, however I also sent an email to PJC in regards to their 2 year reference in their review. I received the following reply

The warranty papers on mine say 1 year. Two years would be nice.

union1411 10-03-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

It accepts 1080p/24, but downscales it to its native 1280x720p resolution. PJC is saying the Panny AX200 does this well.

so, what's the benefit of accepting 1080/24?

TF Ghost 10-03-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_robyn View Post

3000 hours in 15 months??!! That is an average of over 6 hours a day.........EVERY day, like 365 days per year. You really should get out more!!

Just hook it up to your PC, pull up a picture of a stream running through the woods and presto! You're outside!

Brajesh 10-03-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

so, what's the benefit of accepting 1080/24?

Probably not much. Instead of the HD DVD or BD player doing the downscaling, it's the PJ doing it. It's possible the PJ may do a better job.

ed_robyn 10-03-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Panasonic product management confirmed it with me today prior to the posting of the review. It was a late change to the product that the dealers probably hadn't heard about yet.

Was just looking at the PP site and they have a two year warranty form that you fill out if you buy from Sept 20 thru Nov 30.

Saint0574 10-03-2007 10:59 AM

Greetings from Germany,

are there new pictures of the AX200 with HD-DVD, Blu ray or DVD material? I ordered the AX200 this week in Germany and should become it till Friday. Thean i will post pictures and first impressions.

Saint

eddiwill 10-03-2007 11:09 AM

The link on the PP page says:
"Free 2nd Year Warranty ($250 value). Only valid on purchases made from authorized Panasonic dealers. (emphasis mine)

The TOP of the Panasonic pdf form seems to support this:
Receive a 2-year warranty with the purchase of a PT-AX200U...2 year warranty is only valid if purchased through an Authorized Dealer or Authorized Reseller, with proof of purchase.

However, at he BOTTOM of the same pdf:
"purchase a new Panasonic PT-AX100U projector from an Authorized dealer or Authorized reseller in the United States (or PT-AX200U-EC from Panasonic Direct), between September 20, 2007 to November 30, 2007."

So... PP is saying it's for the AX200 from any authorized dealer, Panasonic is saying, well,... that and something else entirely.
Which is it?

j-bo 10-03-2007 11:30 AM

I don't trust anything PP posts. They say valid "only until October 31.2007 in their blurb under the PJ. The rebate form is so messed up, stating in places it's for an AE100U, AX100U, and a AX200U. Plus it's good if you buy before November 30, 2007.

Is it truly a "REBATE" or is it going to be a 2 yr warranty period, no rebate to turn in. I'd wait for a reply straight from Panasonic instead.

Mark F 10-03-2007 12:20 PM

I just got mine temporarily hooked up and so far am very pleased with it. I threw in a SD of Monsters Inc to see some color and it's great. I'm not returning my HD 70 until tomorrow so I can do some comparative testing tonight. Light control isn't a problem in the basement but I turned on half the lights to see how bad it got and it hardly affected the picture. The colors certainly pop more in a darkened room but with almost enough light to read the picture was still great and the colors vibrant. Take my opinions with a grain of salt because I am very much new to front projection but my initial impressions are that I'm very happy with the Panny and I can mount in almost anywhere I please as compared to DLP.

bckipp 10-03-2007 12:35 PM

I returned an AX-100U earlier this year because of a color uniformity problem (left side of screen shifted to blue and right side shifted to red and noticable on real content, not just test patterns) and virtually no difference between eco and normal bulb mode (hurt blacks in cinema1 mode and picture too bright for my 92 inch screen even in eco mode) . Any word on these two issues from new owners?

Scoot2300 10-03-2007 12:41 PM

Did I order the wrong cable? I just noticed and would appreciate you guys chiming in. Why do I need a Component VIDEO from the receiver to the Panny AX200 which is what I bought? I thought the HDMI was carrying the video and that I needed an audio cable from the Panny to the receiver?
Did I but the wrong cable? Take a look at the Pic I attached. I will have the HDMI and I thought this cable for the audio. Help!!!!!

HD-A2 >> HDMI >> SR800 AVR
HD-A2 >> Digital audio (coax or optical) >> SR800 AVR
Comcast DVR >> HDMI (or Component video if no HDMI) >> SR800 AVR
Comcast DVR >> Digital audio (coax or optical) >> SR800 AVR
Wii >> Component video >> SR800 AVR
Wii >> stereo audio (red/white) >> SR800 AVR
SR800 AVR >> HDMI >> Panny AX 200
SR800 AVR >> Component video >> Panny AX 200
LL

j-bo 10-03-2007 12:52 PM

I think the component cable is to carry the Wii signal through the sr800av then to the Panny.

elmalloc 10-03-2007 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

I just got mine temporarily hooked up and so far am very pleased with it. I threw in a SD of Monsters Inc to see some color and it's great. I'm not returning my HD 70 until tomorrow so I can do some comparative testing tonight. Light control isn't a problem in the basement but I turned on half the lights to see how bad it got and it hardly affected the picture. The colors certainly pop more in a darkened room but with almost enough light to read the picture was still great and the colors vibrant. Take my opinions with a grain of salt because I am very much new to front projection but my initial impressions are that I'm very happy with the Panny and I can mount in almost anywhere I please as compared to DLP.

Mark F,

Can you please show screenshot examples of what you're talking about from 10 feet seating distance? (with no light control, with light control).

Thanks,
ELmO

ed_robyn 10-03-2007 01:02 PM

Just got off the phone after calling the number on the rebate form and they were not familiar with the form. They said since it is so new that don't know about it yet. They are supposed to check on it and get back to me.