Anyone know how to setup a HDHomerun dual tuner box in MythTV 0.23? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to setup my HDHR I bought from Woot. I just wanted to thank you all and especially newlinux for the details on the multirec stuff. Posts like these are what makes it possible for people like me to get these boxes doing what they are supposed to be doing. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I followed the instructions in the second post of this thread to stagger the four logical encoders across the two physical tuners and am going to try and run my Myth setup this way for a while.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list.../369358#369358

The encoders are now set up as follows so that my two frontend systems should grab the first two if nothing else is going on, which are on separate physical tuners.

Encoder 1 - tuner 0
Encoder 2 - tuner 1
Encoder 3 - tuner 0
Encoder 4 - tuner 1

Previously, by default encoders 1 and 2 were using tuner 0 and encoders 3 and 4 were using tuner 1. By initially setting up the two tuners and only setting up maximum recording to 1, and then going back and bumping that up to 2 is what allows the list to be created staggered.

This may not be the best solution - read the implications and decide for yourself if you want to try it. There are several spirited discussions on this bug report 4898 and whether or not to consider it a bug or feature, and whether or not LiveTV is even that important to Myth.
post #33 of 39 Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ok, so I seem to have solved my original issue #1 now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleggjp View Post

1. MythTV does not seem to want to use both tuners. If I start watching live TV, tell it to record the current show (pressing 'R'), return to the main menu, then start watching live TV again, it only lets me tune one of the sub channels common to the channel that is recording. My old setup with MythTV 0.21 would use the second tuner at this point and let me pick any channel I wanted. I setup the two versions the same way, by adding both Tuner0 and Tuner1 in step 2 of the backend setup, adding a single EIT source in step 3, then connecting both tuners to the EIT source in step 4, scanning for channels on each one (inserting the channels on the first scan, and updating them on the second scan).

I did another fresh install of Mythbuntu 10.04 tonight on my Core2 system, and during the setup I added both my HDHomerun Tuners in step 2, created a single EIT source called "Simple OTA" in step 3, and connected both tuners to the same Video source in step 4. However, in step 4 I only did a channel scan on the first tuner, and not the second one (they are both connected to the same incoming line with a 2-way splitter). I think this is what is making it work correctly. After reading the page quoted by GaryP2, I was not surprised when I set tuner0 recording, and tried to launch LiveTV again, only to find it locked to the multiplex of tuner0. At this point, by going into the menu and switching input, there were both virtual Tuners for tuner1. Selecting either one let me choose any channel I wanted. Perfect! I'll have to mess with it by setting it up as 0 1 0 1 instead of 0 0 1 1 now to see if I like that way better. At least I know both methods and the pros and cons of each.

Problem #2 is continuing to give me trouble though:

Quote:

2. It keeps dumping a huge amount of data into the mythbackend.log file while doing the EIT scan. Here is an example:

Code:
2010-07-26 06:28:40.933 Could not find channel 2_1 in CVCT
2010-07-26 06:28:40.937 
VCT Cable: channels(3) tsid(0x46b) seclength(142)
Channel #0 name(KTLA Di) 5-1 mod(SCTE mode 2) cTSID(0x46b)
 pnum(421) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0)
path_select(0) out_of_band(0) hide_guide(0) service_type(ATSC TV) source_id(13)
 descriptors length(33) count(1)
  ExtendedChannelNameDescriptor: 'KTLA Digital Television'

Channel #1 name(KTTV-DT) 11-1 mod(SCTE mode 2) cTSID(0x46b)
 pnum(422) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0)
path_select(0) out_of_band(0) hide_guide(0) service_type(ATSC TV) source_id(17)

Channel #2 name(This TV) 5-2 mod(SCTE mode 2) cTSID(0x46b)
 pnum(423) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0)
path_select(0) out_of_band(0) hide_guide(0) service_type(ATSC TV) source_id(18)

2010-07-26 06:28:41.138 Could not find channel 2_1 in CVCT
2010-07-26 06:28:41.140 
VCT Cable: channels(3) tsid(0x46b) seclength(142)
Channel #0 name(KTLA Di) 5-1 mod(SCTE mode 2) cTSID(0x46b)
 pnum(421) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0)
path_select(0) out_of_band(0) hide_guide(0) service_type(ATSC TV) source_id(13)
 descriptors length(33) count(1)
  ExtendedChannelNameDescriptor: 'KTLA Digital Television'

Channel #1 name(KTTV-DT) 11-1 mod(SCTE mode 2) cTSID(0x46b)
 pnum(422) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0)
path_select(0) out_of_band(0) hide_guide(0) service_type(ATSC TV) source_id(17)

Channel #2 name(This TV) 5-2 mod(SCTE mode 2) cTSID(0x46b)
 pnum(423) ETM_loc(0) access_ctrl(0) hidden(0)
path_select(0) out_of_band(0) hide_guide(0) service_type(ATSC TV) source_id(18)
You can see from the two timestamps how quickly these messages occur. They cause my log file to get big pretty fast. All my channels are on only 4 QAM channels. I know that channel 2_1 is not on the same QAM channel as 5-1, 5-2, and 11-1, but I don't know why it is complaining about 2_1 and not any other channel that is also not on the same QAM channel. I also find it weird that when I do the channel scanning, and it adds my channels, it names them all with underscores, yet when doing the EIT scan it seems to find channels named with dashes. Not sure if that means anything or not.

When I scanned for channels, I once again limited my scan to the 4 QAM channels that I know carry all of the channels I care about. Since this was a fresh install, I chose to insert all the channels manually so that I could give them their correct hypenated names instead of the underscored names suggested by MythTV. I figured this way, MythTV would have no record of channels with underscores and would not go searching for them while doing the EIT scan. Here is an example of what MythTV says for each channel:

Code:
You chose to manually insert this
channel 'qam_256:609000000:KCET-
HD::28-1:401:1111=1111=1111:atsc'.
enter a unique channel number.
Note the correct channel number with a hyphen. So for this one, I typed 28-1 in the box and hit ok. I then repeated this process for all of my channels. After leaving it alone for about an hour, I came back to find my log file at 77MB, and filled with the same garbage. On the plus side, I did have several hours of guide data for all my channels, so the scan did work.

So the question is, why is MythTV insisting on looking for channels with underscores instead of the channels with hypens in its channel list? For some reason, when I tell it to suggest a channel number, it always suggests one with an underscore (see attached picture). It seems that whatever code is parsing the channel data is misreading that big string that it comes up with for identifying each channel. Could this be a bug, or is there another setting I need to change somewhere? Thanks.

Matt
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just managed to get MythTV working in Gentoo. Although I installed the version in Gentoo's Portage Tree (mainly to get all the dependencies installed), I also manually downloaded, compiled, and installed the 0.23.1 version from the MythTV website. The result: Problem #2 is still happening. So I know this is not some bizarre quirk affecting Mythbuntu, it seems to be a bug in MythTV. Anyone know where I should go from here as far as figuring out what is wrong?

Matt
post #35 of 39 Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Yes, they were both Generic, and it kept defaulting to a different setting for each tuner for group #1. Tonight though, things are different (see below).

Tonight, I went ahead and nuked both tuners and sources (steps 2 and 3) and started over. I added both HDHomerun tuners in step 2, a single EIT source (called "Simple OTA") in step 3, and connected both tuners to it in step 4. I only scanned for channels using the first tuner, and simply skipped channel scanning on the second. For whatever reason, now it is able to use both tuners at the same time. At first, when I tried to record 2 shows on different multiplexes, it went ahead and used tuners 1 and 2, but when I tried to add a third show on the same multiplex as one of the other recordings, it said there was a conflict. I tried again a little later, and this time, it did record two shows on one tuner and a third on the second one, but said conflict when I tried to add a 4th show on the same multiplex as the tuner only recording one show. So, I don't know exactly what I did differently, but I seem to be able to record 3 shows at once now. I will try and check my settings one more time to find out why it was able to double up on one tuner but not the other. Newlinux suggested disabling multirecord, how do I do that? I noticed there was a setting somewhere in step 2 or 4 talking about maximum number of recordings, and I think both were set to 2. Would setting these to 1 disable multirecord, or is there another setting somewhere?

I was experiencing this exact problem, but on Mythbuntu 10.10 with a HVR-2250, using MythTV 0.24-fixes, from the mythbuntu ppa. I deleted my devices, then tried again following the exact same steps you did to fix your system, but to no avail.

Quote:

I did another fresh install of Mythbuntu 10.04 tonight on my Core2 system, and during the setup I added both my HDHomerun Tuners in step 2, created a single EIT source called "Simple OTA" in step 3, and connected both tuners to the same Video source in step 4. However, in step 4 I only did a channel scan on the first tuner, and not the second one (they are both connected to the same incoming line with a 2-way splitter). I think this is what is making it work correctly.

So I tried deleting my devices again, making sure to only do a channel scan on the first tuner as you said it might have made the difference. Again, no luck.

In the end I reverted back to 0.23.1-fixes, followed the exact same steps to set up my dual tuners, etc., (by now I was quite experienced with that part of the setup ) and BINGO! Finally the dual tuners work together as expected. Also got back PIP, which was previously also not working and primarily what was driving me to find a solution to this problem.

I believe the cause of this issue, at least for my situation (since I was on 0.24) is related to the bug at code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9351. I will comment there and point them to this thread and my post here. Hopefully we won't suffer these problems in the future.
post #36 of 39 Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM

If anyone is still having this issue, please see issue 9247 in MythTV's Trac. Basically, specify the HDHomeRun tuner via the ID, *not* the IP address. MythTV should auto-discover the IDs, so you should be able to select it. (Don't specify by manual IP entry.)

This fixed the issue for me. (While you're on the capture device setup screen, you can also change the Record options to allow 2 streams per tuner, so you could record 4 items from the dual tuner model.)
post #37 of 39 Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryP2 View Post
I followed the instructions in the second post of this thread to stagger the four logical encoders across the two physical tuners and am going to try and run my Myth setup this way for a while.

The encoders are now set up as follows so that my two frontend systems should grab the first two if nothing else is going on, which are on separate physical tuners.

Encoder 1 - tuner 0
Encoder 2 - tuner 1
Encoder 3 - tuner 0
Encoder 4 - tuner 1

Previously, by default encoders 1 and 2 were using tuner 0 and encoders 3 and 4 were using tuner 1. By initially setting up the two tuners and only setting up maximum recording to 1, and then going back and bumping that up to 2 is what allows the list to be created staggered.

This may not be the best solution - read the implications and decide for yourself if you want to try it. There are several spirited discussions on this bug report 4898 and whether or not to consider it a bug or feature, and whether or not LiveTV is even that important to Myth.
Hi I'm experiencing the same issue as you are and have tried the other solutions listed below but the only one that has worked is yours. The reason I know this is, if l leave Max recordings to 1 in each tunner i'm able to see different channels on each front end.. the only thing i'm having issue is staggering the encoders.. i think my problem lies with not being able to uncheck "Avoid conflicts between LiveTV and recordings" (from the link you posted) since i cannot find it under my version of mythtv-backend (running .28). Each time i increase the number of recordings on each tv card i get the same issue of each front end displaying the same channel...

Do you have any ideas on what I could try? Thanks for the help..
post #38 of 39 Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto989 View Post
Do you have any ideas on what I could try? Thanks for the help..
Since I posted this over four years ago, a release of MythTV fixed this issue for me. I've been running my two HDHR tuners with four virtual tuners each. Anytime I watch live TV, it will typically grab encoder 8 (tuner -1, see below) and not conflict with anything that may want to use tuner -0).

This is how my two physical tuners have been set up as for several years now, and it's been working great for me. I'm on 0.27.4. It's been so long since I configured this but what I don't remember many details. But it works the way I want it to. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Code:
Encoder 1 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-0 ] is local on mythbe0 and is  recording 'The Big Bang Theory' on KCRGDT. This recording is scheduled  to end at 7:00 PM.
Encoder 2 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-0 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
Encoder 3 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-0 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
Encoder 4 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-0 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
Encoder 5 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-1 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
Encoder 6 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-1 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
Encoder 7 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-1 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
Encoder 8 [ HDHOMERUN : nnnnnnnn-1 ] is local on mythbe0 and is not recording.
post #39 of 39 Old 11-03-2014, 08:39 PM
DAP
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You could also use the 'M' key while watching live TV to bring up a menu and choose a different tuner to use. You can then explicitly choose a tuner that is not being used for a recording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page