$75 Server or Media Client - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #211 of 230 Old 11-28-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Hey, have you compared a C2's scaling/upconversion to madVR? Or something like a Panasonic UB900?
No, I haven't. My projector is (still) 2K and I don't use a C2 at my OLED 4K display. My guess is it would fall between the Shield TV and madVR (far below). It might compete with the Panasonic... hard to say. Not sure how slick the Panasonic is at streaming local files but I have never been able to live with a Blu-ray player for such. So if you don't want to jump to madVR it might be worth a try as if it's close I think you would be gaining a lot in the user experience.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K 43" Monitor |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
No, I haven't. My projector is (still) 2K and I don't use a C2 at my OLED 4K display. My guess is it would fall between the Shield TV and madVR (far below). It might compete with the Panasonic... hard to say. Not sure how slick the Panasonic is at streaming local files but I have never been able to live with a Blu-ray player for such. So if you don't want to jump to madVR it might be worth a try as if it's close I think you would be gaining a lot in the user experience.
Well, I've been using LibreELEC on a Chromebox for a while. But my UB900 is noticeably better upscaling Blu-ray than my RS600 (I really only threw out the Panny as another option you or others might have compared). So I (re)built a windows machine with a GTX1060 for DSplayer/madVR. Of course that machine (Windows/DSPlayer) is not nearly as reliable as LibreELEC.
post #213 of 230 Old 11-28-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well, I've been using LibreELEC on a Chromebox for a while. But my UB900 is noticeably better upscaling Blu-ray than my RS600 (I really only threw out the Panny as another option you or others might have compared). So I (re)built a windows machine with a GTX1060 for DSplayer/madVR. Of course that machine (Windows/DSPlayer) is not nearly as reliable as LibreELEC.
I also used a Chromebox (for quite a while) and was happy with it. I know the C2 isn't going to match madVR. I guess it comes down to what you want to compare it against... madVR forget it. The display or Blu-ray players it might have a chance. Also upscaling to a degree is personal preference - I prefer a less "processed" image. If quality counts I'd stick with the PC other wise if you are looking to replace the Chromebox the C2 might work nicely adding 4K to the mix. It doesn't support HDR however the next generation chip does which are available on a number of devices.

On the C2 forums I have read its upscaling is decent... haven't read any complaints like with the Shield.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 230 Old 12-11-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

OK here is my current anti-ODROID. As with my/Thermaltake luck the front and side panel glass have a scratch and I'm waiting for replacements. I know it's ridiculous all around but it was a fun two months... well sort of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitleda.png
Views:	110
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	2329972  

Last edited by Charles R; 12-13-2017 at 07:03 AM.
post #215 of 230 Old 12-26-2017, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.2.2 MR

LibreELEC 8.2.2 is a minor maintenance release to resolve an ffmpeg issue that allows the legions of 3D movie fans (both of you) to watch them again. It also fixes an issue with the WeTek Core after recent WeOS updates have been installed, adds support for the 2nd generation of RF remote from OSMC, and disables the flashing blue ‘activity’ LED on the Odroid C2 that most users find annoying. That’s all it contains. No package bumps or driver or kernel changes are included, because at this late stage of the release cycle we have no desire to go fix things that might add new bugs.

post #216 of 230 Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm curious about turning a XU4Q into a Plex server. Allmost all of my media can be played back by my clients without any transcoding.

But how about the couple of times a year I might need to transcode a single stream to, say 720p or 1080p when I'm out and about? Is the XU4Q still powerful enough to software transcode a single stream?
post #217 of 230 Old 03-25-2018, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMillr View Post
But how about the couple of times a year I might need to transcode a single stream to, say 720p or 1080p when I'm out and about? Is the XU4Q still powerful enough to software transcode a single stream?
I found it barely adequate trancoding one stream in my case to a Roku Premiere+. Plex Media Server runs great on the XU4 and overall well after a year the XU4 has been stellar as far as serving media files among other tasks... local storage (backup via rsync), MySQL Server and print server.

post #218 of 230 Old 03-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the feedback.

You didn't run any tests on power consumption by any chance?

Quote:
I found it barely adequate trancoding one stream in my case to a Roku Premiere+.
What kind of transcoding were you able to handle with the XU4?
post #219 of 230 Old 03-25-2018, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMillr View Post
You didn't run any tests on power consumption by any chance?
During boot you can configure the CPU to several performance modes which will affect power to some degree. Generally at idle you should be in the neighborhood of 2 Watts (not counting USB drives)... under heavy load I think it tops out at 4 or so.

Quote:
What kind of transcoding were you able to handle with the XU4?
Mine was limited to 1080p / HD audio files streamed to a Roku. I know it transcoded audio and I'm not sure if it could direct play the video. If you want to transcode on a rare occasion I would install Plex Media Server on a PC (I did such with Ubuntu) and point to the media files on the XU4. Then let that guy transcode. Not ideal but easy enough for once in the blue moon.

post #220 of 230 Old 05-25-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

FYI: They recently released Ubuntu 18.04 for the XU4. Currently they are working on it for the C2 and it should arrive shortly. Also a minimal image should be available before long. Currently there is no upgrade path so it's a fresh install only.

My XU4 Ubuntu 16.04 has been working so perfectly I have zero reasons to mess with it but I think I'll upgrade just for the heck of it. I'll try to get a good copy of the current image for a quick restore if I decide to punt.

Update: I guess there is a possible upgrade path... trying it now with the reality I'll probably be doing a fresh install before too long.

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.p...=30844#p222659

Last edited by Charles R; 05-25-2018 at 10:47 AM.
post #221 of 230 Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well I was semi-successful upgrading from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04... per the instructions in the above link. All went fine however I noticed as the link covers I couldn't get the kernel to upgrade. So I ended up doing a clean install and it went very smoothly. Luckily the information in the first post is still mostly relevant so I just followed the steps.

I configured...
  • Fixed IP address
  • Auto mount the data drive
  • Installed SAMBA (verified via Windows)
  • Installed MySQL Server (verified via Kodi)
  • Configured CUPS - network print server
  • Installed NFS (verified via Kodi)
  • Installed Plex Media Server (verified via browser/clients)

It has only been up for a few hours and my only observation is remote access appears to be much faster as the test files appear to transfer much faster and streaming clients are snappier. Hopefully within a day or two it will be back to boring... so far so good. Even though I installed the entire 18.04 release I'm still using it headless.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XU4.png
Views:	557
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2407750  

Last edited by Charles R; 05-26-2018 at 07:16 AM.
post #222 of 230 Old 11-26-2018, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Two-Year Update

ODROID-C2

It's still in my theater and my go to for 2K videos. LibreELEC has automatically updated itself more times than I can count and it's currently running Kodi Beta 18. I have a few native 4k files and it serves them without issue outside of HDR not being supported. If it was it would be my go to 4K device. Looking into upgrading my projector to 4K and if I do I'll look to upgrade to the chip's newer version for HDR or use my Shield TV. Bottom line after two years it's still a wonderful media player that simply works.

ODROID-XU4

Couldn't be happier. The XU4 simply runs, runs and runs. Serving NFS files to Kodi media clients, running Plex Media Server (mostly music), network backups and keeping a mirror copy of the data (via rsync) I have no reason to look elsewhere. A while back I did upgrade Ubuntu to 18.04 (rather painless) just to keep things current and found a nice performance boost. Access is remote (it's headless) from either a Windows or Ubuntu PC (via ssh) and perhaps not as user friendly as a dedicated NAS I find its flexibility well worth any drawbacks. Typically I only log into the XU4 to fire off a mirrored backup which I keep offline other wise.

post #223 of 230 Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm pretty sure there will be a C2 under the tree this Christmas... I'm looking forward to playing with it. Primarily I'll be using it for a OpenVPN / Wireguard / Shadowsocks VPN server at home to connect to when I travel. I'll probably find other uses for it as well. My HTPC is MythTV so maybe I'll put it to use as a media server...
post #224 of 230 Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I'm pretty sure there will be a C2 under the tree this Christmas...
If you don't need/require bitstreaming HD audio I would give the XU4 a look. It's x times faster and has a Gigabit NIC (dramatically faster than the C2). Sure it costs a few bucks more however the moment you transfer a file you'll consider it money well spent! I found using the XU4 as a print server (along with everything else it does) works great. It spools all of my clients (Windows/Ubuntu) and starts printing the moment I plug the printer in.

The C2 is x times faster (2-10 based on usage) than the Raspberry Pi however it has much better software support. Since the XU4 is around 4 times faster than the C2 (even more so via network access) outside of playing a media client (C2 supports bitstreaming HD audio and has an IR receiver) I don't see a reason to go with the C2... even with the XU4 being a few bucks more.

Media server wise the C2 can't handle any encoding on the fly and the XU4 will handle one stream reasonably well. If you need any real horsepower you can still store your files on the ODROID and access them on the PC running the media server software (Plex or whatnot). However file serving is a breeze as the XU4 can handle multiple 4K files effortlessly.

Last edited by Charles R; 11-27-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #225 of 230 Old 11-28-2018, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you don't need/require bitstreaming HD audio I would give the XU4 a look. It's x times faster and has a Gigabit NIC (dramatically faster than the C2). Sure it costs a few bucks more however the moment you transfer a file you'll consider it money well spent! I found using the XU4 as a print server (along with everything else it does) works great. It spools all of my clients (Windows/Ubuntu) and starts printing the moment I plug the printer in.

The C2 is x times faster (2-10 based on usage) than the Raspberry Pi however it has much better software support. Since the XU4 is around 4 times faster than the C2 (even more so via network access) outside of playing a media client (C2 supports bitstreaming HD audio and has an IR receiver) I don't see a reason to go with the C2... even with the XU4 being a few bucks more.

Media server wise the C2 can't handle any encoding on the fly and the XU4 will handle one stream reasonably well. If you need any real horsepower you can still store your files on the ODROID and access them on the PC running the media server software (Plex or whatnot). However file serving is a breeze as the XU4 can handle multiple 4K files effortlessly.

The C2 has a gigabit NIC as well. I didn't realize the XU4 was 4x faster than the C2. I noticed the C2 has HDMI 2.0 rather than the 1.4a of the XU4. I saw people had good performance using as a OpenVPN server and I went with that.... I'm sure I can find a use for the C2 if I feel the need to pick up a XU4 down the road...
post #226 of 230 Old 11-28-2018, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
The C2 has a gigabit NIC as well.
Don't go by hardware specs. It's been a long time however I believe the C2s' NIC is routed through the USB 2.0 "bus" which restricts its speed right off the bat. Bottom line I tried the C2 for a month or so as a NAS (remote storage) and the file transfer speed was slow enough I punted. Swapped to the XU4 and it typically floods my network. I'm pretty sure the C2 will keep up with typical Internet speed/traffic although for a local media server it's another story... if you don't like to wait on large file uploads (moving content to the server).

The first post in the thread more or less compares the two. Based on my experience C2 as a media client everything else XU4.

A line from the first post...

After using the C2 as a server for several weeks I took delivery of a XU4. Best way to describe the difference is like going from a Celeron to a i7. Real world usage is roughly two to three times faster and even on the client side it is instantly noticeable. Streaming files jump to the screen and moving around is effortless. Not quite flooding my Gigabit network (90+MB/s) however I haven't done any tweaking yet...

Last edited by Charles R; 11-29-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #227 of 230 Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Doesn't look like much interest here anymore. After reading all the problems and no fixes with Nvidea and Zidoo Z9S media servers-- I began looking for something like these.
I found a New Odroid n2 and customized Linux. I thought maybe you guys might be interested.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/c/general/development

JVC RS600, 110"d StudioTek 130, Panny 820 4k Player, Denon AVR-X6500H, 5.2.4 DIY Sound Group speakers, Crown XLS 2502 Sub amp,
post #228 of 230 Old 05-01-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

The C2 is/was only really missing HDR support and I think those looking for such picked up one of the "cheap" Android TV boxes with the newer chip. I still have a C2 and XU4 in action and they have been great. I also have a Shield TV. When my projector goes 4K I might grab another ODROID with HDR support. I use the Shield TV with my OLED TV and it's more than fine plus I stream online content as well. I'm still "wrestling" with 4K content playback. I know I need a streamer for online content but I haven't convinced myself I need local playback beyond discs.

post #229 of 230 Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still using my C2 but not for video purposes. It's been rock solid running both OpenVPN and Wireguard VPN servers. The N2 looks really nice but at this point I don't have a need.
post #230 of 230 Old 05-09-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I'm still running my C2 with LibreElec/Kodi and Tvheadend DVR software. I don't have 4K HDR compatible display but do have an Atmos setup, so no reason to replace something that ain't broke. Runs like a champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page