The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1307Likes

post #3901 of 12963 Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

6. Yes, it's mostly dated material sourced from very old masters,50.60.70s. Though the Shelby Lynne SACD release is sourced from 2008 master. I think this one is going to be a must have just for the quality of the recording alone. "Just a little Lovin," early in the morning, beat a cup of coffee for starting out your day, well maybe tea for you.http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/80...id_Stereo_SACD

Thanks for this (and the other answers). Yes, I was browsing the various links posted above and was rather disappointed with what's on offer. I like the occasional classical album but only rarely. I was hoping to see more "up to date" stuff from other genres as well. I can readily see how limited demand for SACD together with bricks and mortar distribution means the format hasn't taken off but I was excited when you guys mentioned high-res downloads which ought to be a much more economical form of distribution for a more niche market. I can't imagine that today's rock, pop, R&B etc stars aren't into high fidelity. Surely there's demand enough to justify high-res of new releases by download. So far I've only found a couple of albums I would buy (outside of just plain examples to see what high-res sounds like). One example: I would love the Snow Patrol album but can only find it used and heavily marked up.

On the XOVER of the centre to the sub versus XOVERLR, can ask about your reasoning? Of course, I should test both options but I note that doing the latter is mentioned specifically in the CB manual.

BTW when I was asking about a solution similar to the Bryston BDP-1 for DVDs, I only mean owned DVDs. I am aware that one can readily copy DVDs or extract main features and then use programs like Handbrake for conversion to iPad (or other) formats. My goal here is not to obtain content I didn't purchase. I now either buy Blu-Ray disks (or simply rent 1080p content via iTunes/Apple TV for stuff I will watch once). What I would like to do is to place my several hundred DVDs on a server-like system (and park the actual disks in storage). Is this possible in a lossless manner?

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 12963 Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale
What I would like to do is to place my several hundred DVDs on a server-like system (and park the actual disks in storage). Is this possible in a lossless manner?

Here's a thread I've been following. Hopefully it will help.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071162
post #3903 of 12963 Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thx. Oh Lord, another 246 page thread to wade through....

EDIT: having flipped through that thread at various intervals I don't think I'll be heading in that direction. I guess I overstated things when I said "server-like". I was thinking of a packaged solution much more akin to the Bryston BDP-1 - more plug 'n play - or something along the lines of the Mac Mini for audio discussion on here awhile back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 12963 Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

On the XOVER of the centre to the sub versus XOVERLR, can ask about your reasoning? Of course, I should test both options but I note that doing the latter is mentioned specifically in the CB manual.

Typically the crossover to the LR is a substitute method when you do not have a sub. I think the part of the manual you referenced says in a special case where there are no subs present? Then the center crossover options are given for that case. My speakers are,like yours capable of 20hz extention. However, they like a lot of power. Big bass requires a lot of power. You have a very capable sub. Typically, you would not load your main LR with additional bass unless you did not have a sub. By sending the low bass from the center and surrounds to the sub(s) you perserve the headroom of the amp(s) for the LR. If you have a Rel Stentor and it's only getting the .1 channel, I'd say it's under utilized. It can easily handle bass for the sides and center.

I don't know much about ripping DVD's.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #3905 of 12963 Old 05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks BD. The page I was reading was pg 22 of the CB III manual, item 9:

"In the Center sub menu, the centre channel's low pass signal may be routed to the front left/right channels instead of the usual subwoofer routing (XOVRLR). This is useful for centre channeks that have extremely limited low frequency response, i.e. -3dB cutoff point around 120 Hz. Using this crossover type is an excellent tool to increase the intelligibility of dialog."

I guess my centre passes the "extremely limited low frequency response" test.

Based on your reasoning, should I be thinking about transferring some bass from the L/R? Appreciate any advice you have.

post #3906 of 12963 Old 05-28-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I guess my centre passes the "extremely limited low frequency response" test.

Based on your reasoning, should I be thinking about transferring some bass from the L/R? Appreciate any advice you have.

Yes. I had not considered that you might be crossing over that high. That looks to be the right course.

The key advantage of crossing over from the LR to the sub is to be able to use some form of EQ. I would say it is worth the experimentation as the devices suitable for sub equalization are low cost.

post #3907 of 12963 Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I think with the Andra centre reaching 80Hz your suggestion to cross to the sub makes sense. I will change it.

post #3908 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Here's a thread I've been following. Hopefully it will help.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071162

What do you think about backing up your most valuable files to BD-R? I was demonstrating some gear last weekend and the topic arose. The dealer who opposed CD, now opposes downloads. He now supports CD and of course LP. He makes a valid point that an electrical event could damage my hard drive and backup. I see both 50g and 25g BD-Rs are not that expensive. A 10 or 20 stack burned and stored in a drawer could be a good idea? I mean, I believe you could store about 1000 CDs on twenty 50g BD-Rs?

post #3909 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:

What do you think about backing up your most valuable files to BD-R? I was demonstrating some gear last weekend and the topic arose. The dealer who opposed CD, now opposes downloads. He now supports CD and of course LP. He makes a valid point that an electrical event could damage my hard drive and backup. I see both 50g and 25g BD-Rs are not that expensive. A 10 or 20 stack burned and stored in a drawer could be a good idea? I mean, I believe you could store about 1000 CDs on twenty 50g BD-Rs?

Easier to simply keep a separate USB drive for the stuff. Currently Costco has Seagate GoFlex 2TB USB drive for $120.

Aside from your "plugged in" hard drives, subject to a electrical event,
only plug in your extra back up drive when you are backing up, and otherwise keep it safe elsewhere in your home, so if lightning strikes your theater and blows your hard drives there, you still have everything. Lot easier than using so many blu ray discs. Plus, how do you know blu ray discs will last forever?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #3910 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Easier to simply keep a separate USB drive for the stuff. Currently Costco has Seagate GoFlex 2TB USB drive for $120.
?

But the dealer makes the point that CD has almost no failure. Hard drives http://www.pcworld.com/article/13116..._frequent.html. Blu/ray should have a much much lower failure rate. He makes the point that to switch from CD to downloads, you need back up with am equally as low failure rate.

post #3911 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
why not use a cloud service as a "backup" and stream it?

stieger

We Make Home Theater A Reality
post #3912 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, flame suit on, but can anybody tell me about what page the CB3 HD reviews start rolling in? I'm going to redo my theater room at the end of the year, and noodling on the HD as an option - just curious where all that "goodness" may be found within this thread... With Dolby announcing new surround modes, I don't want to get stuck in a closed architecture system. My last CBII was great, but it was so hot it would have burned my house down, or fried my eggs faster than the stove top (thus, I no longer have it).

Just curious if the wait was worth it - does it "do" what you envisioned it would in spades??

On another note, after reviewing the DAC specs, why the heck is the Premioum able to support sample rates of 176kHz and 192kHz, but the Extreme II is not? I know the output impedance is different, but quite odd the best DAC they have wouldn't support the higher bit rates!

stieger

post #3913 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Finally, my impression/"review" of the Theta Casablanca III HD. In my system the CB III HD replaced an admittedly very old Krell HTS. My evaluation is based on both comparisons with the Krell using DVD at 5.1, and subsequent “independent” judge of Theta on its own merits, using Bluray discs at 7.1. The system is 7.1 with Thiel towers as main, driven by a combination of mostly Krell and Classe amps: Krell FPB 600 for main, Classe CA 400 for center channel, Krell KAV 500 and Classe DR10 for surround channels. For other audiophiles out there :-), Classe amps are designed by David Reich, formerly chief engineer of Classe and now at Theta; Krell is of course by ex Krell's Dan D’Agostino. Reich and D'Agostino are among the most well respected engineers in high-end audio over the last 30 years.

I bought my CBIII HD from Craig of VGI/Theatermax, a Theta dealer who also posts on this forum and advertises on Audiogon. I can't reveal price (very close to 4 digits :-) - PM/email him) but suffice it to say VGI made the unit affordable and close enough to my second choice, Classe 800, that the decision for Theta over Classe became a no brainer.

First a few words about how "digital components" such as Theta Casablanca SSP could sound differently from each either, even assuming they use the same processing/DAC chip. The main reason is that the design of the digital section is NOT the only determination of sound. Even in digital components, the design of the power supply section and analog sections, such as the analog output stage, how volume control is accomplished (analog *is* better than digital), and robustness/quality of the power supply, etc., are CRUCIAL in achieving great sound. In addition, the quality of parts such as resistors, capacitors, etc., are also important, and this is where non high-end companies usually cut corners. This is no snake oil "cable" theory, but good, fundamental audio engineering. It is what makes an expensive audiophile components good sounding. In my experience, less well designed DAC/SSP tends to sound harsh, thin, flat, with warm loose bass (seemingly more bass, but what's there is "loose"/ill-defined), whereas well designed DAC/SSP sounds full bodied, has layered and spacious soundstage, powerful, tight, punchy bass, and better resolution (separation and quality of voice and instruments within the soundstage). These are the differences that you might want to pay attention to when comparing and auditioning.

My first and lasting impression of the Theta is of unlimited dynamics that at times is flat-out frightening especially with a great demo material like Super 8's train sequence. I am fairly certain volume levels stay the same between Krell and Theta (I level-matched all channels, including bass, using SPL meter and test tones.), yet subjectively loud section seems louder, much louder with the Theta, to a degree that is sometimes scary to audience. Super 8's train wreck sequence with the Theta ALWAYS left my theater's audience gasping for air and ducking debris flying through the air :-). (If you want to show off your Theta CBIII HD, above all else this Super 8 is a must-buy and a must-have demo.) While watching Thor, a lousy movie with stupendous sound, I noted during the final chapter the bass was so overwhelming that my listening room seemed to want to move *sideways*. No, not just shaking, I meant moving sideways!

I’ve heard talks from audiophiles about “powerful sounding” amp, or speakers, or subwoofers, but this Theta would be a first as a *preamp* that actually sounds "powerful" (the subjective sense of immense power vs. my previous Krell SSP). In addition, voice and instruments are full-bodied - another character of any high-end all-out preamp. Because I use Conrad Johnson all tube preamp for my 2 channel sound, for me to say this about a solid state preamp is indeed, unusual. Extremely so :-).

Imaging? In a word, spooky. Or holographic. With quiet sections, for example solo piano, instrument imaging seems to hang in mid air against a completely "black" (clean, quiet) background (If you don't know wth a "black background is, forgive me :-). Only nutty audiophiles, and Theta engineers, need to care about this.). The effect of a clean image, against a quiet background, is fantastic. Since this is a subjective sensation, it could entirely be in my head of course, but it is a distinct impression that could be heard frequently and repeatedly with the Theta. When you will have bought your CBIII HD, watch, er listen, you’ll see what I mean. I was only kidding above, of course the "quiet" background is not just my imagination.
At any rate, as typical of a Theta digital component, the front soundstage layering is stunning – I sometimes find myself looking in the direction of the phantom person in the middle of the front sound field. So real are the sound effects such as voice, rain drops, wind, storm, etc., and I suspect the subjective cleanliness and total quietness of the background have a lot to do with it.

At the urging of some knowledgeable people here, I've converted my system from 5.1 to 7.1 and would recommend you to do the same, without reservation. The conversion requires me to use B&W ceiling speakers for the side surrounds, as opposed to Thiel for all the rest. While it's always nice to have identical brand speakers all around, I am confident that you could "cheat" with the side/rear surrounds and use a different brand if that's necessary. Anyway, the resulting sense of total immersion is more than worth the additional complexity of adding speakers, with additional unintended consequence of adding height to the side sound-stage. The only aspect that 5.1 may be better is the sense of "clarity"; I do not have an explanation but I would think it's because 7.1 has relative louder ambient sound (or noise).
I’ve been a dedicated (read nutty) audiophile for 20 plus years and have owned several audio components: besides Thiel, nearly all panel speakers, Audio Research tube pre and power amps, Spectral pre and power, Krell pre and power, Classe, Conrad Johnson, VTL, list goes on and on. Of all of these, the Theta CBIII HD joins a very short list of only 2 other components – Conrad Johnson Premier 16 Preamp and Premier 15 Phono Stage, that I would give full recommendation, without reservation. The Theta is not perfect, nothing is, but its sonic is ultra-SOTA, without a doubt.

Lastly, my very humble opinions on the fundamental of good sound, equally important even in these days of advanced surround technology and room correction. And the fundamental is this: great amp + speakers are crucial to good sound. This has been the rule of audio for the last 50 years and it's not changing. To use an extreme example: Putting a bad, tiny $100 speaker in your system then even a $30k SSP with the very best room correction is not going to bail you out. Room correction is to be used AFTER the system has been set up to its best potential, with good preamp, good amp, good (if possible, BIG, floor standing) speaker, because as good as RC is, it doesn't turn a small receiver into a Krell, nor a tiny speaker into a Wilson. Keep in mind a significant portion of sound comes from the front 3 LCR speakers, and spend accordingly.

MAIN SYSTEM: (Multiple components that I "rotate" for comparison and education.)
Analog Source: Linn Sondek, Lyra Helikon alternating with Koetsu Rosewood, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 Tube Phono Stage alternating with Sonic Frontiers Tube Phono Stage, ultra rare Cotter Step Up Transformer, Sutherland 20/20 Solid State Phono Stage.
Preamp: Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS Tube Preamp alternating with Melos 333 Tube Pre, and Spectral DMC 10 Solid State Pre.
Amps: Krell FPB 600 for main, Krell KAV 500, Classe CA400, Classe DR 6 for center and surrounds, Aragon 4004 for subwoofers. VTL ST 150 for "serious" audiophile :-) listening.
Speakers: Thiel CS5i main, Thiel MCS1 center and surrounds, Thiel CS 2.3 Side, Thiel Powerpoint Ceiling. For center channel, I alternate between Thiel and Aerial CC5 (a gem - big sound!).
Digital Source: Bel Canto DAC-3 DAC, Bel Canto Reference Link USB to S/PDIF converter, Sonic Frontiers Transport and Tube DAC, Oppo 93 Bluray Player.
Subwoofers: JTR Captivator 1400, Apogee Grand Subwoofer, JL Audio E112, Sunfire True Subwoofer 10, Sunfire True Subwoofer Solitaire 10
Display: Stewart Greyhawk + JVC 3D projector, Pioneer Elite Kuro 42" and 60" plasma's (wow!).

Second/Third System: Maggies 3.5 and Martin Logan Monolith, Halide USB to S/PDIF Asynchronous Converter, Ipod with Wadia 170/171i Docks, Parasound Belt Drive CD Player, Theta Pro Basic, CJ tube Preamp, VTL ST 85 tube Amp. Stax Electrostatic and Grado 80 headphones. Nakamichi 300 Cassettte player, Melos 222C Tube Preamp, Melos 220 Tube Preamp.

Notable Past Love Affairs (not 100% accurate as I don't remember well anymore, having bought and sold so many components):
Preamps tube: Audio Research Preamp LS 5 and LS 5 Mark II; Cary Audio; Audible Illusions
Preamps ss: Krell KRC, Krell HTS SSP, Lexicon DC-1 (?) SSP, Yamaha ;-)
Power amps ss: Krell KSA 150, KSA 250, MDA 300 (miss it!), FPB 300; Spectral DMA 180; Conrad Johnson MF 200, Classe DR10, Yamaha MX1000 (supposedly 1000 watts LOL)
Power amps tube: Audio Research Classic 150, Audio Research VT 200 (miss it)
Speakers: Apogee Diva/Grand (4 ways with subwoofer, miss it dearly) and Caliper; Quad Electrostatic Speakers; Mirage M3; Thiel SCS 2, Thiel Power Point; ESS Heil-AMT 1B; Infinity Column 2; EPI 100; REL Stadium II, Muse 18 Subwoofer.
Digital: Theta Pre Basic and Theta Data Transport 20+ years ago (!); Theta Gen V (?)
Analog: Vendetta Research SCP-2 Phono Stage, Oracle Alexandria Turntable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE7187.jpg
Views:	2931
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	2366696   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE7165 1 Anatomy 1600 _zpsy4psiazd.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	2409644   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE9502-3_zps4fd55d62.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2409646  
eyecatcher127 likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-30-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #3914 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Recommended settings: The CBIII HD has certain Theta-specific "conventions" (aka idiosyncrasies :-)) that new users might want to know about.

CB IV with Dirac

1. How to A/B compare Dirac on and off: (From Jim HTPC)
BTW: John advised me to do the following to get a closer A/B comparison between DIRAC CORRECTED and DIRAC OFF
1) Use input 1, leave DIRAC OFF
2) Set your volume on CB3 where you want your reference volume
3) Use your meter to calibrate your speaker levels and timing.
4) change to input 2
5) reset each speaker level to 0, leave timing in place from input 1
6) perform DIRAC using same volume level you set in step 2. Note: If DIRAC MIC doesn't pick up the sound properly, increase your MIC sensitivity (not your theta volume).
7) Turn on DIRAC for input 2.
8) Calibrate just speaker levels up to same reference dB as you did for input 1 (step 3 - "just volume", not timing).

When you are done you should be able to press input 1 and 2; back and forth to hear the difference DIRAC made. If you don't do this, DIRAC will be much quieter than your reference calibration, and you won't get a good sense of the changes. That is what initially happened to me. Everyone liked the louder manual calibration over DIRAC until I balanced them as John Baloff recommended. John if I made a mistake please correct.

CB III HD:

1. Audio settings for Oppo 93 bluray player:
HDMI Audio: bitstream
Toslink and Coax/RCA: lpcm
SACD: LPCM

Bitstream vs. LPCM: To convert the bluray disc's raw audio data to an analog audio signal requires a 2 step process. In step 1, bitstream, the raw data (like a zip file) is unpacked/unzipped to become LPCM signal. In step 2, this LPCM signal is converted to analog audio signal by a DA converter. When you select LPCM out in the Oppo, you are telling the Oppo to do the unzipping of step 1; conversely, when you select bitstream out in the Oppo, you are feeding the raw signal to Theta CB and tell it to do the unzipping. Although the audio quality is the same between bitstream and LPCM, specifically for our Theta, whether you feed it LPCM or bitstream does have consequences related to idiosyncratic convention that the CBIII HD follows.
Some old DAC like my 1990's Theta Basic causes loud white noise when given bitstream Dolby digital signal, if this is the case switch Toslink/Coax/RCA digital out to LPCM or you're going to fry your speakers accidentally.

2. Theta audio "conventions"
WRT to *upmixing*, CBIII HD processes 5.1 signal differently depending on whether it is LPCM 5.1 or Bitstream 5.1. If Casablanca is fed LPCM 5.1 signal, it doesn't upmix from 5.1 to 7.1, but... if it is fed Bitstream 5.1 signal, it *will* upmix. This becomes relevant for those with 7.1 speaker system: If you want Theta to post process a 5.1 movie to 7.1 using Dolby PLIIx, you have to set your Oppo HDMI out to "bitstream." If you set Oppo HDMI to LPCM out, this post processing to 7.1 will not occur.

3. Behavior of CBIII HD when in PLIIx 7.1 mode (stereo vs. mono rear)
(See details in this discussion CLICK here.)
Using Toy Story 2 Bluray, chapter 01:57 to 01:59 jet wash sound.
A. Dolby Digital 5.1 Ex, in French or Spanish language: CBIII generates Dolby PLIIx 7.1 extra rear speakers in MONO.
B. English DTS Master Audio 5.1 ES: CBIII HD generates Dolby PLIIx 7.1 extra rear speakers in STEREO. *Seems* like true 7.1.
Per sdurani: 2 chipsets in Theta: the new chipset only handles the new HD audio codecs, while the old decoding chip continues to handle the legacy codecs. Apparently it doesn't just apply to decoding, but processing as well. Looks like the legacy codecs (DD, DTS) are processed by the version of PLIIx that is in the old chip while the newer codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) are processed by the version of PLIIx in the new chipset.
Per Roger Dressler: The only 6.1 that PLIIx can make into 7.1 is a matrix encoded (EX, ES) mix. It cannot do anything with 6.1 discrete

4. How to convert Theta's balanced/XLR output to single ended/RCA https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post20920588

There are two types of XLR output circuit: floating vs non-floating. In a floating design, an XLR to RCA adapter would connect pin 3 to 1 (3 shorted to ground). In contrast, the CBIII HD's XLR output is a non-floating design, and pin 3 should not be connected to pin 1 (3 NOT shorted to ground). In other words:
Pin 1 of XLR goes to RCA outer collar (ground)
Pin 2 of XLR goes to center tip of RCA
Pin 3 of XLR stays un-connected
I believe that most if not all XLR to RCA adapters on the market connect pin 3 to pin 1, which as Roger has mentioned is ok but not ideal as it causes the op amp driving pin 3 to heat up unnecessarily. So if you have one of these, you might want to consider disconnecting this link from 3 to 1.

5. Discussion on Delay Settings https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post21014355

To whet your appetite, here are a couple pictures of the gorgeous Theta with "super friends" LOL in my listening room:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE7127 theta.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	2366746   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE7179.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	2366748  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 02-25-2018 at 01:09 PM.
post #3915 of 12963 Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you! I had an old CB2 that, while watching a few movies, gave me the only impression in my life where I could hear the depth of the orchestra - specifically how the stringed instruments being played were in front of the other instruments (Mission Impossible 1) - THAT is what I want to "find again" - never heard it since, and I finally have a dedicated, fairly large room to play with.

Only other time I heard it was in a dedicated theater (store) that was well treated, with an MC12B and Triad speakers - during the Matrix scene where Neill learns to fight "kung fu" style - that setup seemed to make notes float in the air - audio 'nirvana' for me...

My best, and thank you,

Stieger

post #3916 of 12963 Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

why not use a cloud service as a "backup" and stream it?

stieger

Any idea as to cost? As of today, I have 650gb of stuff.

post #3917 of 12963 Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Any idea as to cost? As of today, I have 650gb of stuff.

Forget it. Storing 650Gb in the cloud is over the limit of what is doable in the consumer market. If the upload speed of your cable connection is 0.5MB/sec (which is VERY generous), you would need 900 hours to pump 650Gb over to a cloud server.

Just get 2 1TB drives for $100 a pop and synch them with your main library. Then keep one in a different physical location.
post #3918 of 12963 Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Forget it. Storing 650Gb in the cloud is over the limit of what is doable in the consumer market. If the upload speed of your cable connection is 0.5MB/sec (which is VERY generous), you would need 900 hours to pump 650Gb over to a cloud server.

Just get 2 1TB drives for $100 a pop and synch them with your main library. Then keep one in a different physical location.

Thats what I said. Costco has a 2 TB Seagate Goflex USB desktop powered drive on sale now for [email protected]@@

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #3919 of 12963 Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Thats what I said. Costco has a 2 TB Seagate Goflex USB desktop powered drive on sale now for [email protected]@@

Having two backup drives with one in different physical location is actually safer then CDs. If your house burns down your CD collection is gone.

The best part is if your house burns down not only will you'll still have a copy, but insurance will pay replacement cost of the physical discs!
post #3920 of 12963 Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:

To wet your appetite, here are a couple pictures of the gorgeous Theta with "super friends" LOL in my listening room:

I'm thoroughly impressed. CJ gear huh?
post #3921 of 12963 Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:

But the dealer makes the point that CD has almost no failure. Hard drives http://www.pcworld.com/article/13116..._frequent.html. Blu/ray should have a much much lower failure rate. He makes the point that to switch from CD to downloads, you need back up with am equally as low failure rate.

personally BD, I think disks of any kind are just on their way out - and that Tega-storage capacity media via internet or intranet is on its way in. That could include clouding, as others have noted, or intra-media such as the 2T drive Steve suggested. The jury would be out on that. We're in some kind of early stage on this - while technologies continue to converge. It's kind of cool to watch it - and I think everyone can sense that something is coming but my guess is the intertia isn't there yet to predict its final form. The Bryston unit represents to me the tip of the ice berg - and Theta has a real opportunity to distinguish themselves if they can get ahead of the curve similar to what they did with the Gen III.
post #3922 of 12963 Old 06-03-2012, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

personally BD, I think disks of any kind are just on their way out ..........The Bryston unit represents to me the tip of the ice berg - and Theta has a real opportunity to distinguish themselves if they can get ahead of the curve similar to what they did with the Gen III.

I do agree. It's interesting to note, for example, that Apple isn't even deploying Blu-Ray because they only see it as a temporary product, soon to be replaced by simple downloading (or streaming).

As I have noted earlier, I think there's a real opportunity for an equivalent of iTunes for high-res audio. It's a niche market but much more easily accessed by download than bricks and mortar distribution of disks.

post #3923 of 12963 Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

personally BD, I think disks of any kind are just on their way out - and that Tega-storage capacity media via internet or intranet is on its way in. That could include clouding, as others have noted, or intra-media such as the 2T drive Steve suggested. .

Sure. As someone with 700gb of music with that amount climbing daily, I'm with you. I already have one 2TB external drive and plan to buy another in the next couple of days. I am STILL going to back up about 1TB to Blu-ray disk and store that at my parents. Sure that's a bit extreme but I just suffered a crash about 6 weeks ago, and lost quite a bit of data. The data I lost didn't seem important enough to back-up,until I lost it. I did have most of my stuff backed-up. I believe the dealer is right that computers are not as secure as hard physical copies, so I am going to do both.

post #3924 of 12963 Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I believe the dealer is right that computers are not as secure as hard physical copies, so I am going to do both.

Until the selected hard copy medium becomes obsolete...

post #3925 of 12963 Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Until the selected hard copy medium becomes obsolete...

But it's always on hard copy somewhere.
post #3926 of 12963 Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

... impressed. CJ gear huh?

Thanks javry. CJ tube gears are "hobby killer" - before I got them I was having so much fun buying and selling pre-amps . I think I went through a few ss pre's, then AR, Melos, Audible Illusions, etc. Once I found CJ, the search ended abruptly and my gear (not music) hobby sort of went into a hiatus.

For my system, CJ is tube gear with all the advantages of tube (round image with full body, "easy" high frequency, airy, deep soundstage), but without the disadvantages of bloaty bass, or truncated high. The bass is particularly punchy and complements my Thiel speakers beautifully.

In retrospect, that I like the Casablanca so much shouldn't come as a surprise. To some degree, Theta shares these very same characteristics with the tube CJ. Very rare for a solid state device.

Regards, Can
post #3927 of 12963 Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more picture to complete my "review"; this one showing what a pretty face the Casablanca is. I particularly like the scalloped main buttons, beautifully executed and "dominating" in real life, and the thickened and chamferred faceplate on the left side. The Casablanca, and the Krell FPB 600, are 2 units that I sometimes just want to come close to touch. Kidding. Ok... half kidding.

The design somehow has an Art-Deco feel to me, in the good sense of the word. Sort of like a wolf in sheep clothing, all-out SOTA processor in a classic covering. It is gear made to be seen, perhaps even flaunted :-). Theta hit a home-run with this design and I am sure they know it.

Regards, Can
post #3928 of 12963 Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I was looking very hard for lip marks on the display face. Before taking the picture, I would have wiped them off too!!
post #3929 of 12963 Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^
What Casablanca owners see:

Regards, Can
post #3930 of 12963 Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that's too much! Can, how do you get your wiring so neat or did you place the unit out on a pedestal for the photo? You can't whet someone's appetite without it connected up. I'm jealous of your FPB 600. I only have it's little baby brother...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page