The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 346 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1388Likes

post #10351 of 13306 Old 02-27-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1915 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePiranha View Post
I have a CB3HD with 1 Extreme and 1 Premium DAC with firmware recently upgraded to v430. And, while so encoded BDs played on my Compli Blu (HDMI set to “Bitstream”) DO announce Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio on the player’s display, no such message is EVER reflected on the CB.
When the CB source is set to “COAX” (SPDIF), the Dolby and DTS Lossless signals are converted to their lossy counterparts (as they were BEFORE the v403 upgrade). This is likely normal. However, switching the CB to “HDMI” does not change its mode to Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA, but back to its default “PL2MV,” with no change message to denote new signal.
In fact, based on results at the CB end, it would appear that the HD Audio signals are not being received through HDMI at all. What am I missing here?
Hi, hope this helps, although I have Oppo 93, not Compli Blu. Looking at the chart below on my Casablanca setup help thread and reverse the process to figure out your problem, it seems the only time that the Theta displays "PL2MV" by itself is if it's receiving Stereo LPCM, so I agreed somehow your Casablanca is receiving Stereo signal.

I assume you've done all the steps below?
1. first disconnect the Coax or at least make sure the input of Casablanca is HDMI from Compli Blu (should show on display)
2. make sure the Compli Blu is set to output HDMI Bitstream, and
3. (of course) make sure program is DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post37348674
Netflix streaming--------Theta Mode Setting----------Theta Display
1. Stereo LPCM-------------Stereo-------------------Stereo
2. Stereo LPCM-------------7.1 PL2MV--------------PLIIx Movie (PL2MV)
3. Dolby Digital-------------7.1 PL2MV--------------Dolby Digital + PL2MV
4. DD Plus 5.1---------------5.1-----------------------DD Plus
5. DD Plus 5.1---------------7.1 PL2MV--------------DD Plus

Blu-ray Lossless--------Theta Mode Setting----------Theta Display
6. Dolby TrueHD 5.1--------5.1-----------------------Dolby TrueHD
7. Dolby TrueHD 5.1--------7.1 PL2MV--------------Dolby TrueHD

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 02-28-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10352 of 13306 Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And this is setup screen for my Oppo 93:

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #10353 of 13306 Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
You're talking through your a$se again. But it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. "Pros" are utilising DL to improve their audio product offerings in high-end cars for consumers (e.g. ask Bentley - no consumer purchaser of a Bentley hops in their car and does a Dirac Live calibration). "Pros" are increasingly using DL in mastering studios when mastering products for consumers (e.g. ask DTS - purchasers of DTS encoded disks don't pop over to a DTS mastering studio and do a DL calibration). "Pros" work for consumers - if consumers don't buy their end product they all get fired.

http://www.dirac.com/news/2016/2/11/...mixing-studios

Are Zoran, Fred, Bob, Paul and Mike not "pros" in your book? Perhaps there's an opportunity for you to pop down to DTS and tell Zoran he's an idiot and that you can do a better job for DTS for less money.
I don't think your language is appropriate.

DTS is also involved in consumer product licensing as is Dolby. Of course they have an interest and relationship with Dirac, I have no doubt Dolby does as well. My reference to "industry pros" are those in the mastering industry. Not the pros consumer audio business which includes car stereos.

I stated from the onset that I'm not saying Dirac is not used at all in mixing rooms but that it's use is very small if any. The fact that you present a single reference from Dirac's web page seems to qualify that fact.

Furthermore I see you don't really understand the purpose of the Dolby and DTS mixing rooms. Though some features have been done in those rooms, they are mainly product demo rooms for Dolby and DTS respectively. Dolby and DTS are not in the business of mastering and mixing, they are product suppliers to that industry. Ever hear of competing with your customers? Believe me, Dolby and DTS do not actively seek or perform feature and episodic audio mastering.

You seem to want to argue with anybody. Yet in many cases you lack the deep subject knowledge and experience. As I understand you are some kind of banking executive?

You put some parts together based on a OEM semiconductor manufacture's reference design for a simple linear power supply and now think because of that you can argue complex electrical engineering with Theta, Bruno and me! Yes I hold the same credentials and demonstrable achievements. I work for one of the two largest video production and mastering organizations in the Hollywood market - for the past 30 years! Furthermore on the same property are two famous private recording studios. Yet you want to argue with me as to how these top facilities apply room correction.

Outside of financial matters, what you propose here in many cases is just your opinion. Enough of this Monday morning quarterbacking! There are experienced people in both the high end audio products market as well as the mastering industry where I sit who make the decisions you live by for your audio and video enjoyment.

If you think you are qualified to make such industry decisions as you often claim on this public consumer forum, then come on in and apply.
Bulldogger likes this.

Last edited by Glimmie; 02-27-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10354 of 13306 Old 02-27-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
I don't think your language is appropriate.

DTS is also involved in consumer product licensing as is Dolby. Of course they have an interest and relationship with Dirac, I have no doubt Dolby does as well. My reference to "industry pros" are those in the mastering industry. Not the pros consumer audio business which includes car stereos.

I stated from the onset that I'm not saying Dirac is not used at all in mixing rooms but that it's use is very small if any. The fact that you present a single reference from Dirac's web page seems to qualify that fact.

Furthermore I see you don't really understand the purpose of the Dolby and DTS mixing rooms. Though some features have been done in those rooms, they are mainly product demo rooms for Dolby and DTS respectively. Dolby and DTS are not in the business of mastering and mixing, they are product suppliers to that industry. Ever hear of competing with your customers? Believe me, Dolby and DTS do not actively seek or perform feature and episodic audio mastering.

You seem to want to argue with anybody. Yet in many cases you lack the deep subject knowledge and experience. As I understand you are some kind of banking executive?

You put some parts together based on a OEM semiconductor manufacture's reference design for a simple linear power supply and now think because of that you can argue complex electrical engineering with Theta, Bruno and me! Yes I hold the same credentials and demonstrable achievements. I work for one of the two largest video production and mastering organizations in the Hollywood market - for the past 30 years! Furthermore on the same property are two famous private recording studios. Yet you want to argue with me as to how these top facilities apply room correction.

Outside of financial matters, what you propose here in many cases is just your opinion. Enough of this Monday morning quarterbacking! There are experienced people in both the high end audio products market as well as the mastering industry where I sit who make the decisions you live by for your audio and video enjoyment.

If you think you are qualified to make such industry decisions as you often claim on this public consumer forum, then come on in and apply.
APPLAUSE! [Thunderclouds ignite!] [reminiscent of Christie clobbering Marcio Rubio in that debate! [email protected])

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #10355 of 13306 Old 02-27-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Glimmie for God's sake get off your high horse.

Dirac Live is a powerful tool. Unison has the potential to be even more so. Just because it isn't (yet) pervasive in your "pro world" yet doesn't mean you get to belittle it to a mere "consumer tool". You portray anything that isn't pervasive in your definition of the pro world as somehow inferior, merely 'consumer' and not 'pro'. I never objected to your statement that it's use is currently small. I objected to your failure to recognise that it is a relatively new tool which better equips both the professional and consumer alike. You claim "a pro with the proper tools can always do better manually" than Dirac Live while I merely claim that, as a new tool, it can help professionals do an even better job. You seem to fail to recognise that there are indeed 'pros' that do find it a very useful tool to deal with challenging acoustical problems and that, as such, it is increasingly finding adoption as a useful tool. It's not surprising that it initially gained good traction in areas where 'changing the room' isn't so easily achieved. And now more and more professional acoustical engineers see benefits in deploying DL on top of room treatments and the like.

Oh and my voltage regulators were not at all based on "a OEM semiconductor manufacture's reference design for a simple linear power supply" (sic) - that would have been too easy - but then again I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion.** Not once have I claimed "because of that [I] can argue complex electrical engineering with Theta, Bruno and me!" (That you place yourself in the company of Theta engineers and Bruno is telling as to the size of your ego.) No. But I have taken the time to learn a lot; it's useful when one of one's hobbies involves an industry so heavily populated with charlatans and spin doctors. Plus the maths can be fun. Maybe one day we will indeed have one of those complex electrical engineering arguments. This certainly isn't one of them.

Let's get back to Theta.

Ciao for now.

** Actually it has a lot more to do with taking the Walt Jung / Jan Didden super regulator and modifying it for far greater current capability and gaining even better regulation to boot. I'm very much grateful for the assistance of a gentleman called Mark Johnson in developing my supply project. He's a very talented guy with, I believe, numerous patents to his name in IC design. I'd say its really his design developed via my project through guidance and tuition rather than prescription. If you want the circuit design just holler but then I'll bet you could just whip it together including a detailed BoM on a post-it note over a cuppa anyway. It couldn't possibly be hard if I can manage it.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #10356 of 13306 Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Hi, hope this helps, although I have Oppo 93, not Compli Blu. Looking at the chart below on my Casablanca setup help thread and reverse the process to figure out your problem, it seems the only time that the Theta displays "PL2MV" by itself is if it's receiving Stereo LPCM, so I agreed somehow your Casablanca is receiving Stereo signal.

I assume you've done all the steps below?
1. first disconnect the Coax or at least make sure the input of Casablanca is HDMI from Compli Blu (should show on display)
2. make sure the Compli Blu is set to output HDMI Bitstream, and

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post37348674
Netflix streaming--------Theta Mode Setting----------Theta Display
1. Stereo LPCM-------------Stereo-------------------Stereo
2. Stereo LPCM-------------7.1 PL2MV--------------PLIIx Movie (PL2MV)
3. Dolby Digital-------------7.1 PL2MV--------------Dolby Digital + PL2MV
4. DD Plus 5.1---------------5.1-----------------------DD Plus
5. DD Plus 5.1---------------7.1 PL2MV--------------DD Plus

Blu-ray Lossless--------Theta Mode Setting----------Theta Display
6. Dolby TrueHD 5.1--------5.1-----------------------Dolby TrueHD
7. Dolby TrueHD 5.1--------7.1 PL2MV--------------Dolby TrueHD
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you may assume I've done all the steps below:

I’ve enabled (and cabled) Coax, Analog, and HDMI for all Compli sources. I switch between them all the time.

2. make sure the Compli Blu is set to output HDMI Bitstream

It is

Yes, of course. Plus –the Compli displays either when present. I’m also testing with Pure Audio disks, which give me the ability to switch between PCM (sweet) and the 2 lossless modes. Switching to, for instance, DTHD immediately announces the mode change on the Compli, but absolutely nothing changes on the CB when the source is HDMI. When the connection is coax, however, the same circumstance results in the CB announcing its downmix to their “lossy” counterparts.

Looking at the chart you attached, I see that when a DTHD signal is sent to a CB with a Mode setting of “5.1,” the CB will actually display “Dolby TrueHD.” I would LOVE to achieve this, as I have never managed such a display from my CB and it would confirm I’m on the right track. My Music default mode is Stereo and my HT is “PLIIx Movie.” I don’t see “5.1” as a mode option. Is there another denotation for this?
post #10357 of 13306 Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Disndale:

May I suggest that a brief emailing of these questions to John Baloff (support at ati-amp dot com) would surely bring you answers to your questions about Casablanca HDMI behavior.

Jeff
post #10358 of 13306 Old 02-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
How will the CB deal with the future Atmos/auro speaker setups? Can you easily switch between speaker configurations like auro 10.1 to atmos 5.1.4?
post #10359 of 13306 Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Disndale:

May I suggest that a brief emailing of these questions to John Baloff (support at ati-amp dot com) would surely bring you answers to your questions about Casablanca HDMI behavior.

Jeff
Jeff,

I did contact John. He suggested I make sure that Secondary Audio is off at the Compli side. I confirmed that it is. I’m awaiting further suggestions.

D
post #10360 of 13306 Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jeff,

I did contact John. He suggested I make sure that Secondary Audio is off at the Compli side. I confirmed that it is. I’m awaiting further suggestions.

D
Hmm... Do you have a spare Blu-ray player, even a cheap one will do obviously, that you could switch into the system to eliminate Compli Blu as the problem?

I just re-confirmed that in my CBIII HD my chart above is correct: if *all* you see is PLIIx Movie (PL2MV), then the Casablanca is receiving 2 channel LPCM Stereo, such as from CD.

Regards, Can
post #10361 of 13306 Old 03-01-2016, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I knew it Kal. I can't wait for the full review. I love my Dreadnaught D amp. The music just floats from my speakers. And like you said in the tease, it just sounds right. It is not fake sounding. That is the reason I sold my Krell Chorus. I didn't like how the cymbals sounded. They sounded not like cymbals sound. Everything else was fine. But this Dreadnaught just sounds right.
That's good user feedback. Thanks. That's the type of comments that help everyone know what to look for and expect with the new amps.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 03-01-2016 at 04:17 AM.
post #10362 of 13306 Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
That's good user feedback. Thanks. That's the type of comments that help everyone know what to look for and expect with the new amps.
Thank you very much.

65" LG B8 Oled,Emotiva RMC1L Processor, Digital Amp Co. 5 and 4 Cherry King amplifiers, Dish Net Hopper, Panasonic UB 820, Sotm SMS 200 ultra Neo and SPS 500 power supply, Rythmik E15HP SE sub, Aerial 6t mains, Aerial 5T surrounds, Aerial cc3B center, ISO Acoustics under all the Aerials 4 Goldenear HTR 7000 ceiling speakers for Atmos All in a dedicated theater with bass traps in all corners and soffits.
post #10363 of 13306 Old 03-01-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jeff,

D
Dinsdale:

I spoke with John this AM. He tells me he's working with you to find a solution. As he is very, very diligent, I feel certain he can get to the bottom of your issue.

Jeff
post #10364 of 13306 Old 03-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hmm... Do you have a spare Blu-ray player, even a cheap one will do obviously, that you could switch into the system to eliminate Compli Blu as the problem?

I just re-confirmed that in my CBIII HD my chart above is correct: if *all* you see is PLIIx Movie (PL2MV), then the Casablanca is receiving 2 channel LPCM Stereo, such as from CD.
Quote:
Dinsdale:

I spoke with John this AM. He tells me he's working with you to find a solution. As he is very, very diligent, I feel certain he can get to the bottom of your issue.

Jeff

Found the problem. As the CBIIIHD steals the HDMI audio it receives (video is passed through of course), I have an HDMI splitter running between the Compli and the CB. It’s manufacturer, Monoprice, claims the splitter to be 1.3 compatible. In fact, they specifically state that “It supports high-definition multi-channel audio signals including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.”

Wrong!

I removed the splitter and bingo! Hello HD Audio. And WOW what sound!

I probably should have tried this earlier, but Monoprice has always been a dependable (and affordable) source of cables and switches. Perhaps a defective unit?

Anyway -- Thanks to all who have offered wisdom, guidance and / or assistance. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some music and movies I owe a listen to.
rhale64L7 and thezaks like this.
post #10365 of 13306 Old 03-01-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Found the problem...

I removed the splitter and bingo! Hello HD Audio. And WOW what sound!
All is well that ends well. Honestly I hate problems associated with HDMI and the menu for Blu-ray players and discs - to me they are not just non user-friendly, but even seem "ANTI human" sometimes.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 03-01-2016 at 10:35 PM.
post #10366 of 13306 Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I am not surprised at all by the potentially & impending RAVE review coming from Kal for the Dreadnaught. Theta's chief engineer David Reich is among the most well respected designers in high-end audio over the last 30 years. During the golden era of high end audio, with Apogee Diva and Scintilla running sub 2 ohm panel speakers, Reich's Classe and D'Agostino's Krell were the 1-2 punch and the only game in town. In fact I believe Reich's earliest amp was designed with 1 ohm (!) Apogee Scintilla in mind (please correct me if you are lurking this forum).

I feel a connection :-) as owner of Classe CA 400 and DR 10 (anyone wants to guess what the DR stands for?). Reich was co-founder of Classe - around 1980's, and the amp's model "DR" was like a certificate of authenticity :-). Below is my 20 year old Classe, still pumping electrons after all these years, driving my Magneplanar 3.5.

rhale64L7 likes this.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 03-01-2016 at 10:33 PM.
post #10367 of 13306 Old 03-02-2016, 11:32 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The new Casablanca IV Manual !

Hey Guys

Hope all is well !!

Angie at Theta has been working on a way to make the User manual a little nicer for new Casablanca Purchases. She came up with this beautiful USB stick with the Manual on it and a nice Theta Embossed Logo on the front.

Saves tons of paper and just a nice touch..

Thanks Angie and the Trees will thank you and well

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theta1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1289857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theta2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1289865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Theta31.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1289873  
rhale64L7 likes this.

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #10368 of 13306 Old 03-02-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeff, any plans to offer products based on the OEM NC500 modules? These would seem well-suited to a multichannel environment where "effect" speakers don't need as much power (not that the NC500 can't provide plenty of power)

post #10369 of 13306 Old 03-02-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 557
If it sounded and looked like the Dreadnaught D I might just get one of them amps for my overhead spkrs. . Just putting it out their in case anybody is watching.

65" LG B8 Oled,Emotiva RMC1L Processor, Digital Amp Co. 5 and 4 Cherry King amplifiers, Dish Net Hopper, Panasonic UB 820, Sotm SMS 200 ultra Neo and SPS 500 power supply, Rythmik E15HP SE sub, Aerial 6t mains, Aerial 5T surrounds, Aerial cc3B center, ISO Acoustics under all the Aerials 4 Goldenear HTR 7000 ceiling speakers for Atmos All in a dedicated theater with bass traps in all corners and soffits.
post #10370 of 13306 Old 03-02-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jeff, any plans to offer products based on the OEM NC500 modules? These would seem well-suited to a multichannel environment where "effect" speakers don't need as much power (not that the NC500 can't provide plenty of power)
Your psychic powers are working well.

2.5 months away. ATI brand. 2 to 8 channels. 3RU. Universal voltage sensing. Will release more details as we approach launch.

Jeff
post #10371 of 13306 Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good stuff. I figured that module would be too good to pass up and was wondering how you'd position it. Branding it ATI is smart. Looking forward to seeing more product details. They sell for about $1400 for a stereo implementation here in the UK (powered by the Hypex SMPS) including 20% VAT. Perhaps unfortunately for Hypex the OEM cost of the amp module was provided to someone who wasn't subject to confidentiality and this figure was posted on forums. Imagine the uproar as price structure realities were revealed.

(There's also been a lot of discussion in relation to input buffer typologies and op amp choice.)

For anyone unfamiliar with the NC500, you can read about it here: http://www.hypexpro.com/wp-content/u...tasheet-R4.pdf

Any updates regarding the CB IV? New firmware? (more than one Dirac Live setting, upgrading from 96kHz etc) Any progress regarding Unison or still a long way off?

post #10372 of 13306 Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any updates regarding the CB IV? New firmware? (more than one Dirac Live setting, upgrading from 96kHz etc) Any progress regarding Unison or still a long way off?
Atmos is now working on the 'Blanca. First availability is "soon". Unison is waiting for Dirac to finish the code. Implementing other than 96 kHz is a discussion too long for this space.

Jeff
Boonyarat likes this.
post #10373 of 13306 Old 03-03-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the update. If you get the chance, please do take the time and space needed re moving up from 96kHz. Personally, I am not so interested in Atmos (I do recognise others are) but I am interested in the progression of Dirac and the USB input card you guys are working on John Baloff asked me at one point if I would like to see 192kHz or 384kHz input capability for a USB input card. My response was 192kHz would be fine but only if the CB was upgraded to 192kHz processing. Else you may as well limit the input to 96kHz.

post #10374 of 13306 Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Atmos is now working on the 'Blanca. First availability is "soon". Unison is waiting for Dirac to finish the code. Implementing other than 96 kHz is a discussion too long for this space.

Jeff
Quote:
Thanks for the update. If you get the chance, please do take the time and space needed re moving up from 96kHz. Personally, I am not so interested in Atmos (I do recognise others are) but I am interested in the progression of Dirac and the USB input card you guys are working on John Baloff asked me at one point if I would like to see 192kHz or 384kHz input capability for a USB input card. My response was 192kHz would be fine but only if the CB was upgraded to 192kHz processing. Else you may as well limit the input to 96kHz.
+1 to what stevekale said, I would also like to read about the greater than 96kHz progress and what appears to be a few hurdles judging from your comment Jeff

post #10375 of 13306 Old 03-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
All is well that ends well. Honestly I hate problems associated with HDMI and the menu for Blu-ray players and discs - to me they are not just non user-friendly, but even seem "ANTI human" sometimes.
Agreed. There was also the matter of flying somewhat blind in my expectations until I opened a CB4 manual.

Absent from the CB3HD Manual is the area of the Mode section found in the CB4 Manual, wherein it specifically states that while the CB will automatically switch to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio etc if contained in the incoming digital data stream. “these modes are not selectable by the user since they are intended for use only when that signal type is detected.” In other words, HD Audio modes are not available as default modes and, therefore, not included as menu options.

This is good to know, as it clarifies what (not) to expect after upgrading the firmware to v430.
post #10376 of 13306 Old 03-03-2016, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. There was also the matter of flying somewhat blind in my expectations until I opened a CB4 manual.

Absent from the CB3HD Manual is the area of the Mode section found in the CB4 Manual, wherein it specifically states that while the CB will automatically switch to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio etc if contained in the incoming digital data stream. “these modes are not selectable by the user since they are intended for use only when that signal type is detected.” In other words, HD Audio modes are not available as default modes and, therefore, not included as menu options.

This is good to know, as it clarifies what (not) to expect after upgrading the firmware to v430.

1. Yes - regardless of what the Default mode is (even "Stereo") Casablanca will play Dolby TrueHD 5.1 as is, 5.1.
2. Another fine point that I suspect few people know about: if your setup is 7.1 and you put in a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD disc, Casablanca *WILL* upmix it to 7.1, although the display does NOT announce what upmixing mode it is. It will continue to say "Dolby TrueHD" and not "Dolby TrueHD Upmixed with PL2MV."

Number 1 could be improved with addition of "Native" as a choice, as a couple of users have suggested. Not critical, just logically much more "elegant" and A LOT less confusing IMHO.
Number 2 I guess could be improved extremely easily by correcting the instruction for the display, hopefully by next gen Casablanca.
thezaks likes this.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 03-03-2016 at 07:13 PM.
post #10377 of 13306 Old 03-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Hey guys, I've always admired Theta just how people drool over McIntosh and I have the perfect chance now to pick up a Theta Intrepid. I've done research on it and I have seen nothing but amazing reviews all across the board. I'll be using a Marantz AV7702Mkii as a processor and it'll be connected to my B&W towers. Is there anything I should be looking for in specific with that amp? Also, what's the "market" value for one that's in 9/10 condition?

Thank you!

Aerial Acoustics/Anthem/JL Audio/Linn/Sony/Theta Digital
post #10378 of 13306 Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Hey guys, I've always admired Theta just how people drool over McIntosh and I have the perfect chance now to pick up a Theta Intrepid. I've done research on it and I have seen nothing but amazing reviews all across the board. I'll be using a Marantz AV7702Mkii as a processor and it'll be connected to my B&W towers. Is there anything I should be looking for in specific with that amp? Also, what's the "market" value for one that's in 9/10 condition?

Thank you!
For used pricing you could try the service on Audiogon: https://bluebook.audiogon.com/brands...gital-intrepid. That said, IMHO used equipment is a good deal if it's about 40% of MSRP (used Casablanca III HD is around 70%, but only because it's extremely desirable ). I would guess for this $3500 amp a good price is around $1500.

IIRC (anyone pls correct as needed) Intrepid was designed by the same David Reich that I mentioned in the post above about my 20 year-old Classe DR10 amp. I am not surprised by the rave reviews at all. You should expect from Reich's amp design a very smooth non fatiguing treble (sweetest of all solid state amps I've owned), full-body midrange, and very nice bass punch. For example, Krell's high frequency could be more analytical and for me anyway is better used with a tube preamp, Classe's high frequency is smoother, sweeter and might match the bright sounding B&W and solid state Marantz "better," IMHO. This ATI amp should be built like a tank and last many years. It will be a huge improvement over a receiver. Go for it.
kevinlg likes this.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 03-05-2016 at 06:32 PM.
post #10379 of 13306 Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those running Prometheus or Dreadnaught D you may be interested in these two quotes from Bruno regarding biwiring:

Quote:
For the NC400 I'm having custom screw tags made, shaped like a "П" with a screw through the top and a square nut inside so the speaker wire is squeezed between the nut and the underside of the П. You can attach 2 wires, one to the left of the screw, one to the right.
Of course both ends of the П are soldered into the PCB. One end goes to the amplifier output (or ground for the other terminal), feedback is taken from the other end of the П. What this means is that you get perfect 4-point sensing at the place where the speaker wire makes galvanic contact. For something like Ncore this makes sense. Output impedance being below 3 milliohms at 20kHz, a few centimetres of wire has more inductance than this. Of course you'd wonder why be so picky about the connection if the speaker cable will dominate anyway. The answer is biwiring. A lot is being said about sense or nonsense of biwiring but what it is about is that loudspeakers are nonlinear. If the woofer draws a distorted current, biwiring can prevent this current from causing distortion in the voltage going to the tweeter. What it takes is an amplifier with output impedance much lower than that of the speaker cable. Running two separate cables between the amp and speaker will make a difference. Since the amplifier feedback senses exactly where the speaker cable is connected, you can just connect two sets at the same point and be certain that the common impedance between the HF/LF current loops is just the amplifier's output impedance. If you're fanatic you could make sure that the wires of the two cables are inserted on alternating sides of the screw. That way the 4mm of resistance between the 2 points where the wires contact the terminal gets canceled too
Quote:
Biwiring: Use separate cables, not cables that bunch both runs together. You want to avoid coupling between the runs, not promote it. You'll find that with an amp like Ncore, biwiring sounds almost like biamping. Bad for my business to tell you this, I know...

post #10380 of 13306 Old 03-05-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
I've been using two separate speaker cables in biwiring for many years now! Including with the five Prometheus monoblocks that I've had since Feb [email protected]@@

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page