The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 351 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1355Likes

post #10501 of 13156 Old 04-26-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Same finding here. My RS meter works just right with internal generator but off by several dB's with AIX disc. The bass is too much using the AIX disc.

It's a head scratcher, but from internet search I've found here and there other people with similar problem with other SSP's and inconsistencies among other test sources. I didn't bother too much to dig into the how and why because in the end, I just use the method that sounds right.

That was my solution. The free Ultimate Ears app on my iPhone matched my hearing and removed inconsistencies.

As Glimmie suggests I suspect the RS meter is off on the low end response. I also noticed some deviation on my surrounds which don't run full range. Probably caused by an error in the base measurement of the LR which do.

Whatever, the error was obvious and easily rectified. I'm just curious why the internal generator seems right even with the sub. Not worth losing sleep over though.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10502 of 13156 Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 47
which is to not use the RS metre!

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #10503 of 13156 Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got up this am...and discovered that I had lost the DAC config. The CB IV is in a cabinet. With ventilation and a 2 fans on. It was running hot yesterday, so I powered it off from the back.
Maybe that threw the DAC's off, maybe I didn't give it enough time to go 'stand by' before I killed the power? But after I fixed that issue, it's working again today.
Next question: It's reading 'Dolby Digtal + Matrix' on some material. I know I can remove that..but having trouble finding out how to do that? Does that effect the actual DD track, or just
DD that is 2.0?

3rd Question: Since I'm in a new home..and the CB is in a new cabinet. I have it connected to a power conditioner that I can IP control the power off/on. Since it does seem to run hot in 'stand by' in
the cabinet...the heat builds up. I have the cooling fans off when it's in stand by. I was thinking of cutting the power to the CB when not in use..so it stays cool? I would let it move to stand by,
then kill the power from the IP controlled port. All done using iRule on my iPad. The CB will cool down, no heat over night, or when not in use. BUT, is this a bad idea in the long run for the CB. ON/OFF
everyday? Since I killed the power yesterday like this...as I said before, the DAC config went away when I turned it back on and I had to re-config. Thoughts?

Here are 2 pics of the set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847 2.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	1406154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2848.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1406162  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10504 of 13156 Old 04-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
I got up this am...and discovered that I had lost the DAC config. The CB IV is in a cabinet. With ventilation and a 2 fans on. It was running hot yesterday, so I powered it off from the back.
Maybe that threw the DAC's off, maybe I didn't give it enough time to go 'stand by' before I killed the power? But after I fixed that issue, it's working again today.

3rd Question: Since I'm in a new home..and the CB is in a new cabinet. I have it connected to a power conditioner that I can IP control the power off/on. Since it does seem to run hot in 'stand by' in
the cabinet...the heat builds up. I have the cooling fans off when it's in stand by. I was thinking of cutting the power to the CB when not in use..so it stays cool? I would let it move to stand by,
then kill the power from the IP controlled port. All done using iRule on my iPad. The CB will cool down, no heat over night, or when not in use. BUT, is this a bad idea in the long run for the CB. ON/OFF
everyday? Since I killed the power yesterday like this...as I said before, the DAC config went away when I turned it back on and I had to re-config. Thoughts?

Here are 2 pics of the set up
I always switch my CB3 hd off on the back from stand by when it's not in use and it always comes back to life with no problems.

I think what you propose is a good idea, especially if the heat is accumulating in the cabinetry (which looks great by the way). IIRC, the Casablanca still runs quite a few watts when in standby.

Sean
post #10505 of 13156 Old 04-28-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Next question: It's reading 'Dolby Digtal + Matrix' on some material. I know I can remove that..but having trouble finding out how to do that? Does that effect the actual DD track, or just
DD that is 2.0?
Observation in my system - not sure but yours should be same: Typical lossy Dolby Digital (typically from cable box or DVD) could be **either**:
1. DD 2 channel encoded, or
2. DD 5.1

So, yes, when you see "Dolby Digital + Matrix" on your Casablanca, it does mean Casablanca is getting DD 2.0 (NOT 5.1) from your source (cable box, DVD, etc.). When Casablanca sees DD 2.0, it processes the DD 2.0 in different ways - Matrix being one of the choices. So, no, you can't remove it, but only replace it with another choice (stereo, etc.). In fact Matrix is my preferred method for DD 2.0 (only for DD 2.0), so you might not want to remove it. I have a picture but can't post that from this limited work computer; anyway the access is buttons:
"Setup"
"#1" for Input
"A-D" for next page
"#2" for Dolby Digital setup menu

Fun test to do: flip the channels on your cable box (mine is Cox), as you flip through the different channels, you would see displayed either "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Digital + Matrix." If you see Dolby Digital that means the channel is broadcasting DD 5.1. If you see "Dolby Digital + Matrix" that means the channel is broadcasting 2.0 and Casablanca is processing with Matrix.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 04-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.
post #10506 of 13156 Old 04-29-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Below is the picture from this thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...wish-list.html.

The 2 important settings are above those little round buttons, number 1 and number 6.
A. For DD 2.0: The setting you were asking about is number 1 - you could toggle and try the different modes like Matrix, Stereo, etc. Mine is set at Matrix (the ONLY situation that I use Matrix in Casablanca).
B. For DD 5.1: The setting for this is above button #6 - I have 7.1 speakers setup so mine is set to upmix 5.1 to 7.1, hence PL2MV. If your speaker system is 5.1, this should be toggled to the "off" position.

BTW IIRC "2CHEN" means Dolby Digital 2 channel encoded, whereas "2CHNEN" means 2 channel UN-encoded. In my system of Cox cable box and US DVD's played by OPPO and connected in bitstream mode, I've yet to see a 2 channel unencoded signal.
Hope this helps.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 04-29-2016 at 09:14 AM.
post #10507 of 13156 Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Please allow me to clarify why I use the Matrix mode, as this is personal preference and you might want something different: I do *NOT* like to upmix 2 channel Stereo music material and for Dolby Digital 2 channel, the Matrix mode is the only way that this could be accomplished.

For example, a few concert DVD's, like the Roy Orbison Black and White Night DVD (not Blu-ray), allow user to pick one of two mixes: DD 5.1, or DD 2.0. I almost always choose DD 2.0 because it tends to be the best sounding and least gimmicky mix to my ears, and for DD 2.0 to play as 2.0 (not upmixed), the Matrix mode is the only way. The "side effect" of this setting is that all other DD 2 channel materials (for example some cable channels) will also only play straight stereo (center channel silent), but this does not bother me as it's the way it should be played. 2 channels played as 2 channels.

BTW if you have Netflix streaming, check to make sure your system passes Dolby Digital Plus correctly. Casablanca will look like the picture below if it does (this from the outstanding Netflix series Narcos). This is the Holy Grail of streaming's sound quality :-) (efficient and best sounding, although only 192 kbps data rate for non Atmos, and 384 kbps for Atmos IIRC) and the way of the future, AC4 versus our current AC3. It was a pleasant surprise for me to see it in my Casablanca.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-02-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #10508 of 13156 Old 05-02-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1655 Post(s)
Liked: 842
The Sonore MicroRendu - A Revolution in Music Server Price & Quality!

From a few weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
EGADS! ROON has just got WAY better in my audio/home theater [email protected]@@
My ROON setup, until tonight, was as follows:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver loaded, designated as my primary music computer for ROON, because ROON would only use the USB out from the primary music server.

iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only.

Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

Tonight, as I started listening to music with ROON, an auto ROON software install came up and loaded. I checked and found out the ROON version is now 1.2. And version 1.2 also has RoonBridge software, which now allows the full RoonInstaller to be installed on a computer remote, that is, from the media server that is outputting the USB music!

Now my ROON setup, as of late last night (Tuesday night) (EXCITING!) is:

CAPSv4 (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 4), USB out. With Roonserver and RoonBridge loaded, designated as a remote computer for ROON.

CAPSv3 Zuma (Computer Audiophile forum server, version 3) (modded a bit). I use this media server only for multi-channel out via HDMI using JRiver Media Center software (as ROON does not at this time do multi-channel audio). But NOW I have loaded the main RoonInstaller, the full ROON program, and I have this computer designated as primary for ROON. ROON’s database is now on this computer. This computer does all the filing, searching, internet connections, audio processing, etc now for ROON and my 2 channel audio – then the audio file goes through my wi-fi network to the CAPSv4 and out its USB. HA!
iPad Pro with the iPad Pro app for ROON, used as a controller only. Also a Toshiba laptop, with the full RoonInstaller loaded, but used only as a controller as well.

ROON as configured prior to tonight, in my system, sounded better than JRiver Media Center 21, for stereo! By moving all the PC “work” and “processing” over to the CAPSv3, the sonic improvement is astounding and [email protected]@@ ROON is a terrific audio playing program for audiophiles and music luvers! Its metadata capabilities alone are reason to use ROON. But its audio quality particularly when you use a separate computer for the ROON processing, etc (as I use the CAPSv3), and use a media server pretty much only to pass on the audio signal (as I use the CAPSv4), is second to none! I am blown away! I wonder how long I will stay up listening to music tonite? Its already 2 AM!

NOW:

Sonore and also Small Green Computer just started sales of their revolutionary new product, the Sonore MicroRendu - A Revolution in Music Server Price & Quality!

Read the review at:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...part-1/Product for sale at Sonore’s website, also at Small Green Computer for a “whole” $640! http://microjukebox.com/products/mic...nt=18223114884

MICRORENDU

• $ 64000

Connect your USB DAC to your network.
The microRendu allows you to play music from many different network music sources on your USB attached DAC.
POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS
iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, with Active Noise Cancellation+

SPECIFICATIONS:
AUDIO
• Supported File Formats: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, WMA-L, DSF, DFF
• Native Sampling Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz and 384kHz
• DSD formats: DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256
• Bit Depths: 16, 24
• SPDIF output supports: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz both in 16 bit and 24 bit
CONNECTIVITY
• Network: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45
• USB: 2 USB ports
• SPDIF: 1 optical SPDIF digital output
• Power: 5VDC input
• Network Protocols: DLNA, , Squeezebox®, Roon RAAT
USER INTERFACE
• Android: App Available Online at Google Play Store - OrangeSqueeze
• iOS: App Available Online at Apple App Store - iPeng
• Roon iOS or Android App
DIMENSIONS:
• 3.5"x2.2"x.7"
• 1 lbs
POWER CONSUMPTION:
• 8 Watts
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT:
• 0° C to 40° C

I just ordered one! For now they are sold out.

I will be using it in my system in place of my CAPSv4 Pipeline, which I will sell. This component will be my RoonBridge, in lieu of the CAPSv4 Pipeline I am using right now for this purpose.My CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to be used for multi-channel audio over HDMI with JRiver Media Center; and also my CAPSv3 Zuma will continue to run the main RoonServer program to interface with internet music info and data and to do the processing/conversion of audio files and then send them via Ethernet to the MicroRendu which will output clean and isolated audio over USB to the rest of my system! I was hopin’ this would come about. Never expected so quick. For now, I will be using the MicroRendu with the external LPS power supply that came with my CAPSv4. Sonore is coming out with a premium LPS power supply particularly for the MicroRendu, which I plan to get once available, which should even give me somewhat improved sonics over my current LPS!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	microRendu_.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1419066  

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
post #10509 of 13156 Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM

HA! My microrendu is hooked up and playing right now. Sounds good. Too early for critical listening!

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
post #10510 of 13156 Old 05-06-2016, 12:22 AM

My Sonore Microrendu came in today! Installed mid-afternoon today. Have used XLO Reference Recordings burn-in disc. Checked sonics at about 3, 6 and 10 hours of playing/burn-in.

At the 3 hour mark, if that was the best, then I would charitably say great product for the money but not for me, vocals were somewhat flat, same for bass and high end, lack of midrange. Patience.

At the 6 hour mark, soundin’ better, but would not replace or equal my CAPSv4 sonically.

At the 10 hour mark, soundin’ marvelous, as good as my CAPSv4 in every respect, and I think
perhaps a bit more 3d in placement of voices and instruments on some stuff.

Count this as a 3 round win for the microrendu!!! Its everything that Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer, told me it was sonically, in my system when used as the Roon Bridge!!! For only $640! It’s a steal!

Wouldn't it be cool if Theta Digital had an optional USB to the CB SSP (hate to agree with Steve Kale, but oh well), which is [email protected]@@

post #10511 of 13156 Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Is 'all stereo' still available as a surround format?
I don't see it anymore?
post #10512 of 13156 Old 05-07-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So what's the deal with the ATMOS, Auro, etc. implementations? The announcement was way back at CES 2015 for the CBIVa and CBE and now just shy of a year and a half later still neither product has been released. What gives?

post #10513 of 13156 Old 05-07-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
So what's the deal with the ATMOS, Auro, etc. implementations? The announcement was way back at CES 2015 for the CBIVa and CBE and now just shy of a year and a half later still neither product has been released. What gives?
What's the deal? WE long time Theta luvers anticipate that this occurs with practically every upgrade or new Theta gear. Aside from getting the software right, they also want to make sure the hardware works properly, and all too often hardware problems develop and/or hardware turns out to be in limited quantity or simply delays in availability.

post #10514 of 13156 Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is 'all stereo' still available as a surround format?
I don't see it anymore?
What do you mean by *all* stereo? If you mean play stereo as stereo, the setup is as below, but do NOT set to PL2MV, instead toggle the setting to "Stereo". Once this is set to Stereo, a CD will play straight 2.0 Strereo, and a Blu-ray Disc should automatically switch to 5.1 Dolby True HD or DTS MA.

To prevent confusion, although you don't have to, I would recommend that you set up 2 inputs:
Input 1: Set this to "Stereo." This input will be used to play 2 channel material such as CD.
Input 2: Set this to "PL2MV." This input will be used to play Blu-Ray movies with 5.1 Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio.

Note that this setting is for lossless CD and Blu-ray, as opposed to the one we talked about above, which is for lossy DVD, Cable TV, and Netflix streaming. The 2 different settings are in 2 *different* menus and this is why I have mentioned that the Theta has 2 "brains": a lossy brain and a lossless brain and the setting for each is in different menus.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post36371586

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #10515 of 13156 Old 05-10-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For fellow Theta Luvers : I recently gave the Harmony Elite Remote Control a try and was pleasantly surprised to find that it has Theta Casablanca codes built in. (Even more amazing it has codes for my Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS tube preamp and Krell FPB 600 monster amp.) Of course you could teach the Elite any command but it is neat that the thing recognizes all these esoteric audiophile stuffs out of the box, in addition to any of the multiple cable boxes you care to throw at it.

If you are looking for a simple and relatively cheap solution for remote with *PHYSICAL BUTTONS* I would highly recommend it. Obviously not a replacement for a professional remote system but it is $300, and has impressive capability. It is all that I need for my system of about 10 components.

A few nice improvements that I've noticed:
1. My Oppo 93 remote control is the worst @#$%~$!! piece of junk that I have had to deal with because it is extremely recalcitrant and requires me to point the remote practically right next to its face to work. The Harmony IR box acts like it's nuclear powered - it seems to send an extremely high powered beam that every component grabs immediately.
2. RF remote is *nice*, no more pointing. (I know - welcome to the 21st century LOL.) The physical buttons are important to me and very well implemented on the Elite.
3. It recognizes other home control devices like my Lutron Maestro light switch (and will learn anything else).
One button and now the system turns on, light turns on, Theta and JVC projector switch to appropriate input, etc. And no more pointing at that [email protected]#$%^ Oppo player. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	logitech-harmony-elite-1200x800.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1432378  
rhale64L7 likes this.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-11-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #10516 of 13156 Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 PM

By 'all stereo' I mean I thought there used to be a format that channeled Stereo to the
surrounds as well. So that the surrounds played 'louder' with music, instead of just background!
Sometime I like music in 5.1...and the Dolby II Music doesn't seem to play the surround very loud.
post #10517 of 13156 Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Jeff,

Any info yet on if dirac unison is completed for the IVa? Any new info/insight on a upcoming release? Thanks.
post #10518 of 13156 Old 05-14-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By 'all stereo' I mean I thought there used to be a format that channeled Stereo to the surrounds as well. So that the surrounds played 'louder' with music, instead of just background!
Sometime I like music in 5.1...and the Dolby II Music doesn't seem to play the surround very loud.
If I understand you correctly this is the "Party" mode, which I do not recommend as it sounds worse (diffused and lacking clarity), because of many reasons, but particularly if you have large front speakers and small surround speakers. It is meant for party, where you don't care about the sound quality, only that sound goes to every speaker so everyone could get down with exceedingly loud music next to their ears :-).

But if you still want to give it a try, it is in the "Post Process" menu that could be accessed by:
"Setup" - "1" (Input) - "A-D" (for Page 2) - "4" (Post Process) - "3" (for "Party")
There is another mode in Post Process called Stereo Front/Rear. This is NOT what you want as it's actually more of a "merging" process for 5.1 material IIRC. It is not a spread of Stereo as the name suggests.

Too long and controversial of a discussion (because it's personal preference) but let me just mention briefly that music in every speaker is not necessarily the goal for Stereo music. Meaning many people listen to Stereo very strictly in Stereo only - to keep music in the front soundstage and maximize its clarity. My vote would be that if you want louder Stereo music, turn up the volume. Hope this helps.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-16-2016 at 10:17 AM.
post #10519 of 13156 Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I'm climbing aboard the Xtreme D-3 bandwagon!!

I'm working with Craig Shumer of TheaterMax for the purchase of a 6 channel Xtreme D-3. I'm trading in a Premium, and then I also have a 4 channel Xtreme D-2 (will be used now for the two rear surround channels). Hey, check this out!

1) I call Craig yesterday afternoon to ask about the D-3. Craig is a tremendous source of information for Theta products, as well as many other products in the industry. I asked him about TV's, projectors, amps, etc. He spent a lot of time with me on the phone - much appreciated!

2) After hours, I speak to Craig and email with him, and I confirm that I want to purchase the D-3. We work out the financials, and off we go.

3) Today, Craig works with Theta/ATI - they get the package together with USB stick, software, extra screws, labels, etc. and get the D-3 out the door.

4) I paid a little extra for 2 day shipping, so I will get the D-3 on Thursday.

All of that happened within 24 hours - AMAZING!

Many thanks to Craig and Theta/ATI!!!! I can't wait to find out how much improvement there is going from an Xtreme D-2 to a D-3.

Dave
post #10520 of 13156 Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

I'm working with Craig Shumer of TheaterMax for the purchase of a 6 channel Xtreme D-3. I'm trading in a Premium, and then I also have a 4 channel Xtreme D-2 (will be used now for the two rear surround channels). Hey, check this out!

1) I call Craig yesterday afternoon to ask about the D-3. Craig is a tremendous source of information for Theta products, as well as many other products in the industry. I asked him about TV's, projectors, amps, etc. He spent a lot of time with me on the phone - much appreciated!

2) After hours, I speak to Craig and email with him, and I confirm that I want to purchase the D-3. We work out the financials, and off we go.

3) Today, Craig works with Theta/ATI - they get the package together with USB stick, software, extra screws, labels, etc. and get the D-3 out the door.

Many thanks to Craig and Theta/ATI!!!! I can't wait to find out how much improvement there is going from an Xtreme D-2 to a D-3.

Dave
I could tell you lotsa stories like this with Craig and also Theta [email protected]@
Congrats, [email protected]@@

post #10521 of 13156 Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

Dave
Dave

Thank you for such nice words.. We really try to make things happen fast but today was super amazing. John and Angie at Theta were able to pull off a small miracle and get the Dac Tested in the morning for me and Packed and Shipped by 3PM for fedex to pick it up !!

We did it and I can't wait for you to get it installed later this week and report back with what I think will be remarkable news. It seems that everyone who has the D3 so far says hands down it smoked the D2 and some are telling me it smokes their Gen VIII's as well.

I kind of expected this but its not until you guys get them in your systems that we get the feedback that counts.

Morris months ago told me about the magic that went into this D3 Dac and how much time they spent on it. Keep in mind they didn't just decide on this chip, they built many prototypes using Sabre and AKM dacs and actually listened to them in CB's and they didn't wow them. It was when they used this specific Dac which we know how great it was in Gen VIII's that the world changed for them. From what Morris explained , they spent incredible money and time on the Volume Control which as most of you know plays a huge roll in Sound quality. Casablanca's have their volume controls on the DAC cards unlike any other processor. Theta built a wicked great new volume control thats on this D3 and its better and quieter and cleaner than that of the Gen VIII.

This is why this Dac is so good.

Please report back when you get it installed..

Amazing things coming to Casablanca this year my friends !!

20 Years and still the Best Pre Pro I have ever heard. Musically Theta owns it hands down and more so now than ever. Trinnov and Datasat both decent machines are great for surround but just listen to 2 Channel on them and you run back to your Casablanca !!

Thanks for all the support
Craig
Theatermax LLC
20 Years of Theta and Lots more

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #10522 of 13156 Old 05-17-2016, 09:15 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I could tell you lotsa stories like this with Craig and also Theta [email protected]@
Congrats, [email protected]@@

Oh Steve ,

Cmon your making me blush

Thanks
Craig

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #10523 of 13156 Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I had great service from Craig also. Much recommended by me and many others.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #10524 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 08:30 AM

I keep reading about MQA. All the components in the chain have to be MQA compatible, right?
Wondering where that leaves the CBIV down the road? Then I read somewhere that it will only be
output through analog. Anyone know if that's true?
I'm in the market for a new music server...looking at the Elac Discovery, with Roon....but don't want
to buy something and not have it be at least somewhat future ready for MQA.
post #10525 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I keep reading about MQA. All the components in the chain have to be MQA compatible, right?
Wondering where that leaves the CBIV down the road? Then I read somewhere that it will only be
output through analog. Anyone know if that's true?
I'm in the market for a new music server...looking at the Elac Discovery, with Roon....but don't want
to buy something and not have it be at least somewhat future ready for MQA.
I agree with you on this. I won't buy anything unless I know it can at least be upgraded to accept Mqa.

7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
post #10526 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

MQA is an audio codec. (The container might be ALAC, FLAC or other.) You need a device which can do the decoding. That might be a 'source' device decoding and sending LPCM to a DAC or some form of integrated device with DAC to which the ALAC container is handed to. To be a bit more specific, my understanding is that it does not require a new DAC (or DAC technology). They know that if to be successful the millions of DACs out there had to be replaced they'd fail. In fact, you don't even need an MQA decoder to play an MQA file and reap some benefit over Red Book. But the ultimate goal is one where the decoder 'knows' the DAC.

Bang on JRiver's door before Theta's.

There are a few videos on YouTube in which Bob Stuart explains the principles behind MQA. Worth a watch.

Last edited by stevekale; 05-18-2016 at 12:25 PM.
post #10527 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Its been implemented into Roon, Auralic's streamers, and several dacs have it or will have it soon. My personal favorite the Mytec Brooklyn has it now.

post #10528 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's hardly surprising that Roon is an early adopter given their background with Meridian's Sooloos. I'd expect faster adoption from software decoding (e.g. Soon, Auralic, JRiver) than full hardware integration where the decoder 'knows' the DAC. But maybe, Theta will surprise us. It's certainly fantastic technology. (Made in the UK.)

This is well worth a watch in full. The relevant comments regarding software decoding versus full hardware integration are at 42 minutes or so.

post #10529 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

Amazing things coming to Casablanca this year my friends !!

20 Years and still the Best Pre Pro I have ever heard. Musically Theta owns it hands down and more so now than ever. Trinnov and Datasat both decent machines are great for surround but just listen to 2 Channel on them and you run back to your Casablanca !!

Thanks for all the support
Craig
Theatermax LLC
20 Years of Theta and Lots more
I hope that's a reference that we'll finally see the CBIVa and CBE.

post #10530 of 13156 Old 05-18-2016, 09:16 PM

Tonight, I'm finally running DIRAC, after the new D3 card is in, and new KEF speakers all around.
The software on my notebook PC was still on it, so I logged on, and all went well.
The mic picked up the 9 locations....
but after the last mic location....it keeps processing...for over 30 minutes!
"Extracting system response parameters'.....is keeps scrolling that alone the top of the software.
For 30 minutes. Nothing is highlighted, so I can't proceed or go back.

Now it's 45 minutes. I'm connected to the internet..hard wire....so that's not the problem, since I had to
log on to the software to open it anyway! It sees the mic....I hear the tones from the speakers.

Update:
I just checked again...2 dots are now green instead of blue! So it takes that long to process each location?
I don't remember it taking that long? I'll stick it out now...45 minutes in and 2 locations are processed! WOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page