The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1357Likes

post #10531 of 13167 Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's been a while since I ran Dirac but I don't recall it taking 45 minutes to process the whole thing let alone a couple locations. This on an old Core 2 Duo laptop and wireless. Don't have any real suggestions other that let it go. Though I guess you could kill it and start over. Maybe get a better connection.

Les

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 13167 Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Something is very wrong there. Should take less than a minute.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #10533 of 13167 Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It did work...but it did take 30 minutes.....DIRAC is running now on the new set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10534 of 13167 Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
How does it sound?

Dave
post #10535 of 13167 Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Somethings wrong with your internet connection or router, or your computer. Dirac is pretty quick processing!

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
post #10536 of 13167 Old 05-19-2016, 10:35 AM

By the way, I talked with Theta Tech John Baloff the other day, and Theta is interested and looking into MQA.

Though I find myself agreeing with Steve Kale, that your music software should be "Roon Ready". I use Roon for 2 channel,
so I am MQA ready! And Roon is also going to be moving into multi-channel (for which I presently use JRiver Media Center).

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
post #10537 of 13167 Old 05-19-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Wow interesting news. I really wish I could afford one of these beasts. I had such a good deal worked out with Craig at one time.

Maybe after the kids are done with college. Right now just can't swing it. I will use my baby Theta the xmc1 to hold me over.

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #10538 of 13167 Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 AM

That's great news about MQA!
The KEF's after the DIRAC set up sound SO different, and with the new D3 in place..WOW!
I actually cried listening to music yesterday.....
I need to do some subwoofer adjustments, I feel a dead zone in a a few place, but I guess that's normal. Aand I forgot that after set up...I have to bump up
the levels of each channel a bit to compensate for DIRAC.

I know Roon is the way to go, and I didn't realize that Roon is MQA ready?
My next question being, can Roon control say a Baetis server, that uses JRiver to control it?
I've been looking into a Baetis as well....pricey, but they look nice!

And, today, when switching between imputs....I got no sound.
The amp cut off, I'm guessing trigger issues. Isn't that a 'global' set up?
Once you set if for one, it's for all? Once I powered off and on the CBIV, the amp
came back on. This has happened a few times I've noticed....so thinking it's something in my setup?
post #10539 of 13167 Old 05-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post

My next question being, can Roon control say a Baetis server, that uses JRiver to control it?

Baetis is a bunch of hogwash, gigantic markup for a PC running JRiver (no reason why Roon couldn't be loaded on it).They claim they have a proprietary digital out card that sounds better than their USB out. Sure, dumb down the USB out and the digital will sound better. But dump up the USB out, and have a top notch USB to digital converter (my Berkeley Audio one), and the sonics are outstanding. Robert Harley reviewed the most expensive Aurender, with both USB out and digital out (Aurender actually designs and manufactures much of their media server gear, unlike Baetis), and he found best sonics using USB out to guess what, the Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter! HA!

My CAPSv4, $2,800 msrp from Small Green Computer, which I bought a year ago, coupled with the same Berkeley Audio
USB to digital converter ($1895 msrp) that I use, will sound better, and be just as easy to use! Mine just went on sale as I have upgraded
(see below). If you are just gonna run ROON on one computer/component, this is the way to go, and most bang for the buck. If you are possibly
interested in buying mine, AVS PM me with your phone and email and we can discuss.

My brand new upgrade is the Sonore Microrendu with the Sonore Signature Power Supply. You can read about it here (start towards the latest posts):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-audio-30.html

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-20-2016 at 11:52 AM.
post #10540 of 13167 Old 05-20-2016, 02:49 PM

I'm really wanting to go headless, with no computer in the mix. Just a music server.
I've seen the microrendu, but it only has ethernet input? I keep all of my music on a SSD. Not networked...
not sure how I would get sound into the microrendu?
post #10541 of 13167 Old 05-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I'm really wanting to go headless, with no computer in the mix. Just a music server.
I've seen the microrendu, but it only has ethernet input? I keep all of my music on a SSD. Not networked...
For what you want to do the Microrendu won't work. My CAPSv4 Pipeline, for sale now, will work for you. You can attach an external hard drive with all your music on it as it has USB inputs. If you are interested, AVS PM me with your phone # and email and then I'll email you my info so we can discuss. Of course there are lots of options so I appreciate you may want to go a different direction!

post #10542 of 13167 Old 05-20-2016, 04:34 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Joe

Aurender is the choice of most theta users for great high quality audio steaming. It's really good and works fantastic and the app is wonderful.

Steves friend has one along with many others on this forum.

It's my first choice by far.
markrubin likes this.
post #10543 of 13167 Old 05-20-2016, 04:47 PM

Aurender makes an excellent music server with great software - though its not ROON ready to my knowledge, and I luv ROON. My friend does luv his Aurender, I set it up and loaded his music, it was easy! I appreciate that Craig finds that his customers want something easy that sounds really nice, and Aurender fits that bill.

post #10544 of 13167 Old 05-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Baetis is a bunch of hogwash, gigantic markup for a PC running JRiver (no reason why Roon couldn't be loaded on it)............................................... .................................My CAPSv4, $2,800 msrp from Small Green Computer, which I bought a year ago, coupled with the same Berkeley Audio
USB to digital converter ($1895 msrp) that I use, will sound better, and be just as easy to use! Mine just went on sale as I have upgraded
(see below). If you are just gonna run ROON on one computer/component, this is the way to go, and most bang for the buck.
No argument, Steve. Both the Baetis and devices like the CAPSv4 can be configured with JRiver and/or ROON and run stereo and multichannel with the appropriate. OTOH, let me point out one Baetis feature that appeals to many is that it arrives with everything, hardware and software, installed and ready to run. It also includes hand's on support so that beginners with fear of their own limitations can be sure it works.

Sure, one can do the math on the pricing (and I've done setups with both) but some need/want more hand-holding. It's not unlike the many custom servers that are charging for their unique firmware and integration but, under the cover, have wimpy engines.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10545 of 13167 Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 AM

It's not that I'm not a 'techie', I just want something easy.
I want to open an app, have the system turn on, I select music.
I used to own the Sony HAP-1ES.
And what I loved about that model...is it came with an IR function,
so I could control the volume on the CBIV, while I was in the Sony app.
I thought that was genius. I didn't have to swipe between apps for music control
and volume control. Of course, it had no digital out...but it sure was easy to use!

I metatag all my music before I put it on the SSD that houses my library. So something that
I can just plug my SSD into, have it populate...store that in it's own internal memory, and then push
play.

I know the Aurender has a great app, and very good reviews. But I would like to keep Roon as an option..
with MQA so close, and in the future. That's why I've had my eye on the Elac Discovery....that already uses
Roon built in! And is plug and play. How will it sound? Will it sound as good as the Aurender, or a Beatis?
post #10546 of 13167 Old 05-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
No argument, Steve. Both the Baetis and devices like the CAPSv4 can be configured with JRiver and/or ROON and run stereo and multichannel with the appropriate. OTOH, let me point out one Baetis feature that appeals to many is that it arrives with everything, hardware and software, installed and ready to run. It also includes hand's on support so that beginners with fear of their own limitations can be sure it works.

Sure, one can do the math on the pricing (and I've done setups with both) but some need/want more hand-holding. It's not unlike the many custom servers that are charging for their unique firmware and integration but, under the cover, have wimpy engines.
If by "wimpy" you mean low power, so long as it gets done what you need to get done, the lower power the better, as my experience is better sonics - case in point, the microrendu!

If he isn't concerned about multi-channel, and if he wants turnkey solution with support, then Aurender is easily the best for the buck and excellent competitively sounding for the price. I've set Aurender up for a friend and played it in my system. If he doesn't mind a bit of PC tinkering, then CAPSv4 is outstanding and gives him flexibility to use ROON (which in near future will be multi-channel, too), or JRiver, etc. Also, if he wants to add Dirac, he can do that with CAPSv4, but not Aurender. those of us with the Theta CBIV SSP use direct in the CBIV so that takes out needing a media server with Dirac out of the equation.

post #10547 of 13167 Old 05-21-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It's not that I'm not a 'techie', I just want something easy.
I want to open an app, have the system turn on, I select music.
I used to own the Sony HAP-1ES.
And what I loved about that model...is it came with an IR function,
so I could control the volume on the CBIV, while I was in the Sony app.
I thought that was genius. I didn't have to swipe between apps for music control
and volume control. Of course, it had no digital out...but it sure was easy to use!

I metatag all my music before I put it on the SSD that houses my library. So something that
I can just plug my SSD into, have it populate...store that in it's own internal memory, and then push
play.

I know the Aurender has a great app, and very good reviews. But I would like to keep Roon as an option..
with MQA so close, and in the future. That's why I've had my eye on the Elac Discovery....that already uses
Roon built in! And is plug and play. How will it sound? Will it sound as good as the Aurender, or a Beatis?
Don't know. Won't be demoing Elac. Can't say!

post #10548 of 13167 Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
If by "wimpy" you mean low power, so long as it gets done what you need to get done, the lower power the better, as my experience is better sonics - case in point, the microrendu!
I have not tried the microRendu but was speaking about a couple of other devices which can do multichannel but poop out on the shovels of data required.......and that's without Dirac or upsampling.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10549 of 13167 Old 05-22-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Its been implemented into Roon, Auralic's streamers, and several dacs have it or will have it soon. My personal favorite the Mytec Brooklyn has it now.
I don't think Roon has MQA software decoding. Theta will likely have to implement hardware decoding to have MQA.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #10550 of 13167 Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I keep reading about MQA. All the components in the chain have to be MQA compatible, right?
Wondering where that leaves the CBIV down the road? Then I read somewhere that it will only be
output through analog. Anyone know if that's true?
The best quality is currently only through analog as there are no software decoders with digital outs. Bob Stuart is saying the even without MQA being decoded it will still sound better than what we have been streaming. Right now, to hear full quality MQA, there will need to be hardware inside the box. There are no products that have digital outs even after the hardware decoding. Auralic was going to have full on-board decoding with a digital out but they were stopped from releasing. I asked in March, if it was going to happen and was told to check there Facebook page for updates.

post #10551 of 13167 Old 05-22-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

It seems that everyone who has the D3 so far says hands down it smoked the D2 and some are telling me it smokes their Gen VIII's as well.
If that statement is true, it means the Casablanca with X3 dacs is the best bargain in the history of audio. I'm wondering what Theta did to make it "smoke" a Gen VIII with many of the same parts used in both? To say I'm skeptical is putting it mildly. Theta doesn't even say that the new dacs are better than a Gen VIII.

post #10552 of 13167 Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm told by Theta that they are looking at MQA, but after the CB IV A is finished. Norm
Bulldogger likes this.
post #10553 of 13167 Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello! I have questions fo owners of Casablanca:
1. Anyone listen hard rock music or metall? Casablanca play well this genre?
2. I want buy JBL ARRAY 1400 for future setup, how you think is a good choice for Casanlanca IV?
Thanks.
post #10554 of 13167 Old 05-27-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Joe

Aurender is the choice of most theta users for great high quality audio steaming. It's really good and works fantastic and the app is wonderful.

Steves friend has one along with many others on this forum.

It's my first choice by far.
is it because it has digital out and such good software! I have been thinking of the Theta Casablanca IV but I have invested in the Naim NDS/555DR combo for streaming and it has only analog audio out. No one ever talks about analog bypass on the Theta Casablanca. Does Theta do a good job with it? Or do you mostly recommend using a streamer with digital outputs with the Casablanca?
post #10555 of 13167 Old 05-28-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith777 View Post
Hello! I have questions for owners of Casablanca:
2. I want buy JBL ARRAY 1400 for future setup, how you think is a good choice for Casanlanca IV?
Thanks.
Hi there,

1. Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, and Guns N' Roses are close enough? Kidding aside, the Casablanca is one of the greatest sounding SSP's ever made, with GREAT dynamics swing and a full bodied sound (vs the dreadful lean and thin sound encountered in poorly designed digital components), it most definitely won't hurt. But really, I would think the answer to this music genre also resides in first the software - how well it's recorded, then BIG speakers with big woofer (which the JBL 1400 appears to be one), and BIG amp with big current capacity :-).

2. Much depends on software & associated components, but again bottom line is Casablanca won't hurt. In fact the advantage of buying a SOTA SSP like the Casablanca is that if the sound doesn't come out right, the fault is probably elsewhere in the chain. NO kidding. AFAIK Larry Greenhill of Stereophile reviewed the JBL 1400 favorably using Bryston BP26 preamp, and the Casablanca is extremely unlikely to sound worse than this choice. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...5EqYv6Corgm.97

BTW I will be listening for first time (after many years of being an audiophile) to JBL flagship speakers K2 this coming weekend at THE High End Show in Newport Beach, and the 1400 apparently is a spin-off from the K2 project; REALLY look forward to this. It's "heart warming" that JBL jumps into a hard-core audiophile scene to show off their prowess. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...une-3-5-a.html

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-28-2016 at 11:10 AM.
post #10556 of 13167 Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith777 View Post
Hello! I have questions fo owners of Casablanca:
Thanks.
Hey I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan - probably gets the most play in my system. Add some System of the Down, Tool, Marilyn Manson (up to 2003), and even the odd Cannibal Corpse disc, and I'm loving every second of it. In fact, I use the Casablanca IV as a volume controller and use multiple Generation VIIIs3 DACs for my audio channels (except an Xtreme DAC for subwoofers), so yes, it will play hard rock well. But as cannga mentioned, satisfaction is also dependent on the recording. Most albums are mastered too loud and have very little dynamic range. That's applicable to all genres of music. It depends on the goals of the mastering engineer. Clipping can be heard because it's revealing. When I listen to Silversun Pickups or Deftones I get bothered by the loud mastering and the "ticks" of distortion from brickwalling and going over the 0dB. Ridiculous and unnecessary. Affects all genres of music, including peoples' precious Adele.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Molasar likes this.
post #10557 of 13167 Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Are any Casablanca owners running a computer music server to the CB via HDMI?
post #10558 of 13167 Old 05-30-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
Are any Casablanca owners running a computer music server to the CB via HDMI?
Yes, my CAPSv3 (see www.computeraudiophile.com) Zuma (modded with larger Silverstone case and Sapphire/AMD video card). HDMI out to CBIV SSP with set of 3 external
Theta Generation VIII DACs.

Sonics are very nice. Except when you compare to using USB out into Berkeley Audio USB to Digital converter, 2 channel only. And I no longer use the CAPSv3 USB for 2 channel - used a CAPSv4, now using the Sonore Microrendu, which is Roon ready, having the main Roon program run on the CAPSv3 but all the sample & bit rate conversion is done with the Microrendu. This is dicsussed in detail in a Microrendu thread over at the What's Best Forum.

post #10559 of 13167 Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ARC for Casablanca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Please allow me to clarify why I use the Matrix mode, as this is personal preference and you might want something different: I do *NOT* like to upmix 2 channel Stereo music material and for Dolby Digital 2 channel, the Matrix mode is the only way that this could be accomplished.

For example, a few concert DVD's, like the Roy Orbison Black and White Night DVD (not Blu-ray), allow user to pick one of two mixes: DD 5.1, or DD 2.0. I almost always choose DD 2.0 because it tends to be the best sounding and least gimmicky mix to my ears, and for DD 2.0 to play as 2.0 (not upmixed), the Matrix mode is the only way. The "side effect" of this setting is that all other DD 2 channel materials (for example some cable channels) will also only play straight stereo (center channel silent), but this does not bother me as it's the way it should be played. 2 channels played as 2 channels.

BTW if you have Netflix streaming, check to make sure your system passes Dolby Digital Plus correctly. Casablanca will look like the picture below if it does (this from the outstanding Netflix series Narcos). This is the Holy Grail of streaming's sound quality :-) (efficient and best sounding, although only 192 kbps data rate for non Atmos, and 384 kbps for Atmos IIRC) and the way of the future, AC4 versus our current AC3. It was a pleasant surprise for me to see it in my Casablanca.

I’m absolutely loving the top-notch cinema audio I’m getting from my Compli Blu / Casablanca III HD combo. So much so, that when I switch to a streaming source using resident Apps on my Android TV (Sony XBR65X930D), even the magnificent HDR picture quality can’t distract me from the AWFUL sound I must endure.

Of course, this could easily be transformed into to an AV-Wonderland (4K HDR Video and Theta / Classe / Revel audio) if only the Casablanca supported ARC (Audio Return Channel).

I’m assuming (based on user manuals and lack of HDMI output annotations on machine itself) that ARC is, indeed, NOT currently supported. I’ll contact JB at Theta eventually, but I don’t want to trouble him with every question that comes to mind. FWIW – A few weeks back I contacted John about MQA, and received a reply that Theta “will be looking into it later this year.”

Anyway, here’s my question: Why can’t I simply run a 2nd HDMI cable from an ARC-enabled HDMI jack on my Sony to an HDMI input on my CB? Are there handshaking issues I’m overlooking?

Is there a better AUDIO SOLUTION to stream these services (adding a 2nd Blu Ray Player, adding a dedicated box e.g. Roku)?
post #10560 of 13167 Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePiranha View Post
1. Anyway, here’s my question: Why can’t I simply run a 2nd HDMI cable from an ARC-enabled HDMI jack on my Sony to an HDMI input on my CB? Are there handshaking issues I’m overlooking?

2. Is there a better AUDIO SOLUTION to stream these services (adding a 2nd Blu Ray Player, adding a dedicated box e.g. Roku)?
1. Interesting question. Have you actually tried, HDMI out from your TV to Casablanca, and it doesn't work?

2. I use a separate box for streaming and would vote for this. It's simple and cheap enough.

BTW in my experience, Dolby Digital Plus is good but it is NO match for the full lossless audio of Blu-ray. 192 kbps means there is a huge amount lossy compression, and unfortunately Cable Companies & Internet Service Providers will keep it there for foreseeable future. We watched first four seasons of Game of Thrones on Blu-ray's and were so disappointed when we switched to streaming subsequently.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-31-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page