The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 354 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1357Likes

post #10591 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
Are any Casablanca owners running a computer music server to the CB via HDMI?
If you like, it is even possible to use Apple TV 4 with Roon.
Have not tried yet. Just notice this option after installed Roon om my Qnap yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10592 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
I've mentioned in a past thread about wanting a music service. Headless. Just plug in a hard drive, let it do it's thing, and use an iPad to control it.
Auralic, aurender....looking at those company's, and Elac because it comes with Roon installed!
My concern is MQA and the future...and it's future with Theta. Aurender only has USB out, so I'd have to buy and converter for the CBIV, unless the new CBIVa update includes
a USB input?
Aurender has many outputs...but I read that MQA will only work on devices that have analog out's only.....they won't support a digital out on a device.
Then I just read that Bluesound is updating to MQA, as a software update....but the Node 2 has analog and digital outs? How can it support MQA with digital out's?

I'm just trying to make an educated buy, but some of this information is conflicting?
Do you have a Casa or a Gen 8 ? And Roon ?
I'm asking, cause your are mention other and some cheap DAC's.
Without looking into it, I'm quite sure those digit out does not support MQA. Same with Auralic Mini.

I agree with your concern about MQA support from Theta.
If you own a Theta, maybe a cheap DAC like the Explorer connected to the analog in is a (temporary?) solution for MQA ?
Remember SACD, did not that sound great even you where forced to use the analog domain ?

Streaming, Roon, and MQA are the future.
Buy the MicroRendu in any case. It's a no brainier. And yes, you need a USB to SPDIF converter for the time being.
This is also how Steve B has solved it I believe. Or more correct you may say this was Berkley way of doing it.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...usb-interface/

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 02:25 PM.
post #10593 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
..... MQA will not allow the decoded signal to be output via digital. They will help other companies design filters but will not allow a decoded MQA signal via digital out. I contacted Bluesound and asked.
We do not know if that is the case for ever. Do we ?
My understanding is that SW implementation will happen, but most likely not before the DAC manufactures has got their piece of the cake.

See my next post why I think SW / digital decoding will happen.

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10594 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 06:37 AM

DECODERS

Q42. I'd like to ask about MQA decoding.
Does it require hardware, software or both?
Will there be a Linux software decoder library which will be able to be incorporated into the existing Linux audio ecosystem (perhaps something similar to how Nvidia provides proprietary graphics drivers for its video cards to the Linux community)?
Can you indicate what sort of licensing fee, if any, might be required for the enthusiast running their own Linux music playback system for personal use who would like to be able to decode MQA? Many thanks for any enlightenment.

A42.
MQA decoding does not require hardware, it can be performed on a number of different platforms. But the decoder normally runs in the context of paired DAC(s).
Currently we license decoder builds for Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, XMOS, some custom platforms, with several more coming.
We are rolling out the decoder platform licensing in stages and no decision has been taken yet about this type of application. But we will in due course so please stay in touch.

Q43. Soft decoding:
Will software decoding be allowed (and when)?
Will software decoding get the complete benefit that will be possible with hardware MQA DACs? If not what will the differences be?
Will a MQA decode software module be available for integration into third party music players that run on generic PCs and Macs?

A43.
We already have software decoders for a number of hardware, portable and mobile platforms. In these three cases the decoder has the benefit of precise knowledge of the DAC and associated hardware.
See A42, there is no inherent quality difference between MQA decoders unless they are operating in designated power-saving modes. However, it is inevitable that a properly designed hardware product, incorporating the decoder and DAC will give the better result. The performance level that MQA enables, allows hardware makers an even better environment on which to stretch their skills. For the audiophile, this should be very exciting.
We do anticipate a program to enable such applications, but the requirement for tight DAC coupling and the obligation to match the previewed audio (in the studio) means that several combinations and options are still being explored with both DAC makers and creators of software players. We will make announcements in due course.

Q44. Digital out decoder:
To the extent that hardware decoding is necessary or desired and that many DAC manufacturers
might not be able to incorporate hardware mods, could an MQA decoder in a box feeding into a DAC be a potential solution for consumers?
If someone already has a an expensive DAC, of which they are very fond, and this DAC doesn't natively support MQA, will it be possible for some manufacturer to supply a stand-alone box "MQA un-packer" with USB and/or S/PDIF output to make existing DACs MQA compatible?
Will software decoding into a "standard" high res bit stream that a generic DAC can use be allowed?
Which type of connections will be possible USB, SPDIF AES etc.?
Will SPDIF streamer interface be allowed, or only , in order to achieve a two way
communication. Meaning you would require a as a minimum in order to have your old DAC benefit from SW decoded MQA, or a streamer like Auralic.

A44.
- e. To get the best result, decoders with digital output require to know how to render for the specific connected DAC, or else to ensure that any alternative degraded representation is in line with the studio preview options (see Q21). This is true for either full decodes or split decodes (see A65).

We are working with our partners on programs for both product types and will announce roll-out in the coming months.

Q45. Is there any technical limitation that makes a FPGA DAC not to have MQA implemented?

A45. None whatsoever, we have several companies implementing MQA with FPGAs.
post #10595 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
We do not know if that is the case for ever. Do we ?
My understanding is that SW implementation will happen, but most likely not before the DAC manufactures has got their piece of the cake.
It's not the dac manufactures that are getting their piece of cake, it's MQA. They want insight into all companies dac filter design, basically to control the entire industry if you want to decode MQA. I remain skeptical and believe the whole dac situation is subterfuge because of Bob Stuart's history with DRM. Let me decide how much of a difference having only MQA approved digital filters improve the sound. I do not need some tyrannical organization asking me to take their word for it.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #10596 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DECODERS

Q42. I'd like to ask about MQA decoding.
Does it require hardware, software or both?
Will there be a Linux software decoder library which will be able to be incorporated into the existing Linux audio ecosystem (perhaps something similar to how Nvidia provides proprietary graphics drivers for its video cards to the Linux community)?
Can you indicate what sort of licensing fee, if any, might be required for the enthusiast running their own Linux music playback system for personal use who would like to be able to decode MQA? Many thanks for any enlightenment.

A42.
MQA decoding does not require hardware, it can be performed on a number of different platforms. But the decoder normally runs in the context of paired DAC(s).
Currently we license decoder builds for Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, XMOS, some custom platforms, with several more coming.
We are rolling out the decoder platform licensing in stages and no decision has been taken yet about this type of application. But we will in due course so please stay in touch.

Q43. Soft decoding:
Will software decoding be allowed (and when)?
Will software decoding get the complete benefit that will be possible with hardware MQA DACs? If not what will the differences be?
Will a MQA decode software module be available for integration into third party music players that run on generic PCs and Macs?

A43.
We already have software decoders for a number of hardware, portable and mobile platforms. In these three cases the decoder has the benefit of precise knowledge of the DAC and associated hardware.
See A42, there is no inherent quality difference between MQA decoders unless they are operating in designated power-saving modes. However, it is inevitable that a properly designed hardware product, incorporating the decoder and DAC will give the better result. The performance level that MQA enables, allows hardware makers an even better environment on which to stretch their skills. For the audiophile, this should be very exciting.
We do anticipate a program to enable such applications, but the requirement for tight DAC coupling and the obligation to match the previewed audio (in the studio) means that several combinations and options are still being explored with both DAC makers and creators of software players. We will make announcements in due course.

Q44. Digital out decoder:
To the extent that hardware decoding is necessary or desired and that many DAC manufacturers
might not be able to incorporate hardware mods, could an MQA decoder in a box feeding into a DAC be a potential solution for consumers?
If someone already has a an expensive DAC, of which they are very fond, and this DAC doesn't natively support MQA, will it be possible for some manufacturer to supply a stand-alone box "MQA un-packer" with USB and/or S/PDIF output to make existing DACs MQA compatible?
Will software decoding into a "standard" high res bit stream that a generic DAC can use be allowed?
Which type of connections will be possible USB, SPDIF AES etc.?
Will SPDIF streamer interface be allowed, or only , in order to achieve a two way
communication. Meaning you would require a as a minimum in order to have your old DAC benefit from SW decoded MQA, or a streamer like Auralic.

A44.
- e. To get the best result, decoders with digital output require to know how to render for the specific connected DAC, or else to ensure that any alternative degraded representation is in line with the studio preview options (see Q21). This is true for either full decodes or split decodes (see A65).

We are working with our partners on programs for both product types and will announce roll-out in the coming months.

Q45. Is there any technical limitation that makes a FPGA DAC not to have MQA implemented?

A45. None whatsoever, we have several companies implementing MQA with FPGAs.
You need to ask some companies, "behind the scenes," what they think. Sure software decoding will work but he never says that will be allowed via digital out that's not going directly to the dacs. He uses the comment, "to get the best results, decoders with digital outputs require to know how to render for specific connected dac." He would make a good politician. He appears to answer the question but has never said outright that a software decoded MQA digital out would be allowed on a device not being inputted directly into another devices dacs. All he had to say was YES digital outs will be allowed in A44, but he didn't. He started, talking like a politician, appearing to answer the question but really sticking to his current position.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 06-30-2016 at 07:11 AM.
post #10597 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
It's not the dac manufactures that are getting their piece of cake, it's MQA. They want insight into all companies dac filter design, basically to control the entire industry if you want to decode MQA. I remain skeptical and believe the whole dac situation is subterfuge because of Bob Stuart's history with DRM. Let me decide how much of a difference having only MQA approved digital filters improve the sound. I do not need some tyrannical organization asking me to take their word for it.
If SW coding was available from day one, quite less would border to buy a new DAC, so I disagree with you there.
MQA will get their royalty anyway, which may cause us for the first time to pay for a firmware upgrade (Gen 8).

Or maybe not. Time will tell.

Your other statements tells me you are not a MQA believer 😀

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #10598 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've heard much about the MicroRendu. To my understanding..you have to have a computer in that mix to use this device?
There is no way to connect an external drive to this, it's NAS only?
post #10599 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 09:55 AM

Sonore MicroRendu review:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/s...oyHSMQ6msv9.97

If you like to buy the best power possible available ever:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f2...ply-1-a-28609/

(for your MicroRendo or similar)

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 02:19 PM.
post #10600 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I've heard much about the MicroRendu. To my understanding..you have to have a computer in that mix to use this device?
There is no way to connect an external drive to this, it's NAS only?
Yes, NAS or a PC/computer. So you do not have any ripped music ? Do not plan to use Roon ?
Only like to play Tidal ?

Then maybe Auralic is an option.

A USB hard drive can be shared on your network by the router if your router has that option available.

Roon needs a computer or NAS also. Did you forget ?
What system do you have, and what is your goal ?

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 10:31 AM.
post #10601 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM

Non of the Theta DAC support DoP ?
If yes, is this "just" a SW update to implement ?
Do we need DoP cababillity ?
post #10602 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 03:26 PM

All of my music in on a external SSD. I could share that on my router I'm sure...it has a USB port on it.
If I use Roon, I would use that on my iPad. My entire system is controlled via iPad, and want to keep it that way.
So if Roon can work on my iPad and 'see' the hard drive and MicroRendu that way...great!
My goal is to find a great music server, that is 'headless'. No computer.
post #10603 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
All of my music in on a external SSD. I could share that on my router I'm sure...it has a USB port on it.
If I use Roon, I would use that on my iPad. My entire system is controlled via iPad, and want to keep it that way.
So if Roon can work on my iPad and 'see' the hard drive and MicroRendu that way...great!
Server means a NAS, or a computer. And a computer can be a NUC. A custum made Linux server like Aurender or the one U suggest is still a computer. You just pay more, and loose the flexibillity. (But if money does't matter, I'm sure you be happy with Aurender's top model).
And such server will in most cases have the required USB interface for your SSD's anyway.
And you need Roon to run on something. It can't run Roon on a iPad alone. Agree ?

Have a look at the Qnap HS-251+. I'm using an old TS-453-Pro. But ask first on Roon support forum if they think it has enough power. You may need a model start with TVS.
If you Ok with Windows and familiar with RDT, (Remote Desk Top) buy a NUC. You can run RDT from your iPad. Works great.
Or if you have an old Mac mini. Perfect as well

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_ar...equirements%3F

As said buy the MicroRendo with the iFi Power, that starts shipment tomorrow if not already sold out. You can't go wrong there.

Do you like to use HQPlayer ? Is so that may add some limitations.

Do you own any Theta equipment ? You have not answer yet ?
And you are talking about a system that is controlled by iPad. What does your system consist of ?
No windows or Linux hidden somewhere. How did you manage to fill those disks ?

There is something here you not telling us.

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 05:10 PM.
post #10604 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 05:09 PM

I own the CBIV. I use iRule to control my entire system....so Roon, or an app from Aurender would control the music.
The MicroRendo sounds great, but again, I want no computer. I used to have a mac mini as a music server, and hated having to keep the mac on all the time in a cabinet.
And deal with keyboards.
Then I bought the Sony HAP-ES1. It was great...but no digital outs. Sold it.
I don't know enough about Roon to know it you have to have a MAC or PC to use it. I thought it could just run on a tablet?
That's why I was looking into the Elac server...which Roon comes already loaded on. But it's still no available.
Going to try the Bluesound node 2...see what that does for now. If I don't like it, I can return it.
post #10605 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 PM

Have bought Roon yet ?
If you have that Mac available, try install Roon on it. Only the server version. (Use SSD).
Set it and forget it almost. Put those disk on it or may even your router.
You won't need a screen and a keyboard. Maybe only for a few minutes to install RDT SW.

You don't want a computer. Well again that is more or less what you are asking for and will get with a server.
Don't those servers has a web interface ? You need to control or set them up one way or another. Agree ?

Are you not planning to have the server on all the time ?
I having problem seeing the difference with an Aurender in your cabinet vs the Mini. Maybe you can explain better.

Use RDT
http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/the-be...r-mac-and-ios/

Again buy the MicroRendu.

Maybe find a cheap USB/SPDIF as a start.
We know Theta will have USB interface. Just not when.

Enjoy.

Edit:
Blue sound will work. No doubt. But at the moment no Roon.
You can even test MQA
Do you have Tidal Hifi subscribtion ? Or are you only looking for a way to play your ripped music ?

Last edited by ANRE; 06-30-2016 at 06:00 PM.
post #10606 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:

However I personally doubt a dedicated Linux music server like Aurender will outperform a NAS with the MicroRendu.
I rather spend money on the DAC, and how you power the MicroRendu. And power conditions.
I sold my CAPSv4 Pipeline. My CAPSv3 Zuma (modded, w larger case) I have been using for HDMI multi-channel. Since April's Roon v1.2,
I run the full core Roon program on my CAPSv3, and whereas initially I used my then CAPSv4 as a Roon bridge, now for 2 months (?) I've
been using the microrendu (with the Sonore Signature Power Supply), and it kicks butt! Unreal how good the two channel is.

I have setup an Aurender for a friend. Nice unit. Nice sounding. Not necessarily as good sounding as my previous CAPSv4. And not near as good
as my system sounds now using the microrendu, which is the real [email protected]@@

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
post #10607 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I completely agree!

No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason! 9.9.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade still in process!
post #10608 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, Roon works great with an iPad. I use an iPad Pro. [email protected] Bigger better for my eyes!

post #10609 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 PM

I'd love to try the MicroRendu. But I just need to understand how I could set that up in my system.
I can hook my external SSD to the router...sure. And hardwire the MicroRendu to that same router.
USB that into a converter, then into the CBIV. But can I get software on my iPad to control that?
Will Roon work? Headless? Would I have to configure it on my MAC first, which I could do...but
then I want to be able to just run that without the use of a computer.
post #10610 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My CAPSv3 Zuma (modded, w larger case) I have been using for HDMI multi-channel.
Do you rip DVD-A and SACDs for your multi-channel or is there a good online source for purchasing multi-channel music downloads?
post #10611 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
Do you rip DVD-A and SACDs for your multi-channel or is there a good online source for purchasing multi-channel music downloads?

I have a lot of my old SACDs that were ripped by a friend using the Sony Playstation 3 with a software mod, I'm all done with that, no more of that!

There is a site www.nativedsd.com which has mostly classical, some jazz, some good multi-channel (and stereo) downloads. www.acousticsounds.com also has some very limited multi-channel downloads. Also www.channelclassics.com which is classical.

post #10612 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
If you like, it is even possible to use Apple TV 4 with Roon.
Have not tried yet. Just notice this option after installed Roon om my Qnap yesterday.
A component in its specs will say "Roonready" is it works as a Roon endpoint.

post #10613 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I'd love to try the MicroRendu. But I just need to understand how I could set that up in my system.
I can hook my external SSD to the router...sure. And hardwire the MicroRendu to that same router.
USB that into a converter, then into the CBIV. But can I get software on my iPad to control that?
Will Roon work? Headless? Would I have to configure it on my MAC first, which I could do...but
Again - Roon has software for the iPad to control the core Roon running on another computer. The iPad Roon software does not do all the "work" that the Roon core computer must do, the iPad is simply a remote control for Roon.

Let me explain again how I have used Roon in my system during this year so far:

1. Initially, I installed RoonServerInstaller64, on my then CAPSv4 (operated headless, using Teamviewer to remotely control the CAPSv4 from my PCs or iPad) (I didn't install the "full" RoonInstaller64 program because Windows 8.1 Pro had been optimized on my CAPSv4 to elimate unnecessary functions, including those necessary for Roon's video display). This program permitted me to utilize the CAPSv4 USB output for audio.

2. In April, Roon updated to version 1.2, a BIG DEAL! I was able to install RoonInstaller64 on my Toshiba laptop; and install RoonBridgeinstaller64 on my CAPSv4. Thanks to RoonBridge on my CAPSv4, I was able to have all the internet seeking for metadata & info, and audio processing, done by my Toshiba laptop; using the RoonBridge on the CAPSv4 only as the USB audio output.

3. I then substituted my CAPSv3 (which runs JRiver for multi-channel via HDMI) (which I quit using for 2 channel via USB once I got the CAPSv4) running RoonServerInstaller64 for the Toshiba laptop, as the CAPSv3 is fanless, and as when I run Roon I am not also running JRiver (which I now use only for multi-channel) at the same time as Roon.

4. In May, I replaced the CAPSv4 as a RoonBridge (outputting
USB audio) with the Microrendu (which comes Roonready, which is the same as loading RoonBridge onto a computer).

My current Roon setup:

CAPSv3 runs RoonServerInstaller64. Microrendu is Roon Ready.

WDMyCloudEX4 (Western Digital) 16 TB Server connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

CAPSv3 connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via USB output/USB cable to Berkely Audio USB to digital converter.

Berkely connects via Cardas AES/EBU digital cable to Theta CBIV SSP.

Theta CBIV SSP connects via three Cardas AES/EBU digital cables to three external Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs.

I initially used the Microrendu with the HDPlex 100 watt linear power supply (LPS) that came with my CAPSv4, and it was a clear sonic improvement over the CAPSv4. After I few weeks, my new Sonore Signature Power Supply (with 2 Synergistic Research black fuses) arrived, and this was a substantial sonic improvement even more than before!

Note that my CAPSv3 (and now sold CAPSv4) Windows 8.1 Pro operating systems were optimized by Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer (he also wrote the software for the Microrendu) to delete unnecessary functions for the best audio sonics and to avoid operating hiccups. I have personally experienced operating hiccups when using a computer without having Windows optimized for audio usage.

Having the main Roon core with all processing done on one computer, with another computer or component operating as a Roon bridge or endpoint, gives appreciably better sonics than having all of Roon done on one computer. And then add the Microrendu and I found the additional sonic improvement was simply breathtaking.

Someone mentioned Aurender. They put out a very nice product. But its not Roon. And its not the Microrendu. I have set one up and played with it for a friend. If you must have one component does all, and don't want to monkey with a computer, then Aurender is the way to go. Aurender's customer service is second to none! You email them off of the Aurender software if you have a problem, and they will remotely control the Aurender and fix it! A lot of folks do not want a computer and to do that bit of "extra" work necessary, so the Aurender is for them. Aurender I understand actually designs and manufactures important components of their product. And reasonably priced as well. Not a joke like some other companies that rebadge their computers and charge 3 - 5 times the normal cost. Sonically I would say the Aurender is close to my CAPSv4 when I was running Roon entirely on the CAPSv4. But I have upgraded my sonics considerably since that time. The graphic interface and metadata of Roon, and the sonics, simply make Roon a no brainer as far as I am concerned, and you could buy the top Aurenders and I do not believe the sonics, although nice, will be as good as is possible with the Microrender. My opinion!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 06-30-2016 at 10:24 PM.
post #10614 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If SW coding was available from day one, quite less would border to buy a new DAC, so I disagree with you there.
MQA will get their royalty anyway, which may cause us for the first time to pay for a firmware upgrade (Gen 8).

Or maybe not. Time will tell.

Your other statements tells me you are not a MQA believer 😀
No, not a supporter nor is the founder of Theta Digital who's seen it all. The only way that MQA can force hardware support is not allowing a decoded digital out for many years. If software decoders with full digital outs were due say within a year or two, companies could just wait them out. IMO MQA is using the whole dac filter thing as a ruse as to why they will not allow decoded MQA over digital. They have a right to make a profit and sell their IP anyway they see fit. Just enough with the BS.IMO, No, software decoding with full decoded MQA is not coming anytime soon because it takes away any leverage of forcing the hardware companies to pay royalties. If I were Theta or any other company, MQA would have to show me a lot of MQA material before I'd buy in. The last thing we need is another debacle like DVD Audio where a pittance of media was available.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 06-30-2016 at 10:43 PM.
post #10615 of 13171 Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Non of the Theta DAC support DoP ?
If yes, is this "just" a SW update to implement ?
Do we need DoP cababillity ?
It is not just a SW update. It would also depends on whether you want to use Dirac Live,which operates in PCM. The room adds more distortion than anything else. The effect of the room can vastly skew the audio to a much greater degree than MQA could ever effect the audio in a positive way. When you ask do we need DoP you are also asking if we need DSD support. Theta seems to have decided no again because you can't use room correction on pure DSD.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 06-30-2016 at 10:45 PM.
post #10616 of 13171 Old 07-01-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
It is not just a SW update. It would also depends on whether you want to use Dirac Live,which operates in PCM. The room adds more distortion than anything else. The effect of the room can vastly skew the audio to a much greater degree than MQA could ever effect the audio in a positive way. When you ask do we need DoP you are also asking if we need DSD support. Theta seems to have decided no again because you can't use room correction on pure DSD.
Well, maybe not for the Casablanca, but Gen 8 could do DSD, right ?

(I mean by a SW upgrade)

Last edited by ANRE; 07-01-2016 at 03:16 AM.
post #10617 of 13171 Old 07-01-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
You have got it correct. Try. Sonically and user-friendly, I think you can't go wrong.

If your Mac mini do not have a SSD, upgrade with one. 128GB will do, but 256GB is my advice. Maybe have a look if more memory can be added.
And I suggest you rather connect your USB disks to the Mac.

Again, you MUST have either a NAS, PC, or a computer where you install the Roon server. If not, you have to forget Roon, and you do not like to do that ?

With the Mac, you can also use the HQPlayer if you like. With a NAS, probably not.
You control your MAC by using VNC from your iPad. As I said, it is more like set it, and forget it. No screen, no keyboard. You can hide the Mac where ever you like.

After installation your Roon app will see the Roon Server on your Mac.

Last edited by ANRE; 07-01-2016 at 02:56 AM.
post #10618 of 13171 Old 07-01-2016, 03:12 AM

Bulldogger:

If I was Theta, I would do all the preparation necessary to implement MQA, in order to be ready when Tidal flip the Switch

It will be interesting to see if it takes a year or two as I hope to get SW decoding, or longer as you think.

Let's se what happens with digital audio when Apple release the iPhone without analogue interface. Will they go hires with MQA ? Will they implement the latest Bluetooth Atpx HD that claims to be 24/48 (or was it 24/192).
Will it be wifi ? Or only lightning interface ?

Things can happen very fast.
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/29/...phone-dev-kit/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/30/12...uisition-rumor

Last edited by ANRE; 07-01-2016 at 04:06 AM.
post #10619 of 13171 Old 07-01-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
x
Steve: Do you use Tidal Hi-Fi ?

Last edited by ANRE; 07-01-2016 at 03:40 AM.
post #10620 of 13171 Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 AM

If we shall believe Bob Stuard, many companies are working with MQA implementation.

http://www.insideci.co.uk/articles/i...se-of-mqa.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page