The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 373 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1331Likes

post #11161 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
It brings me great pleasure today to tell you guys - - -

THE DOLBY ATMOS / DTS X Casablanca 4A is finished and ready to ship !

Theta is building Brand New CB4a units as I write this and they will be ready to ship in the next few weeks.

They are working on upgrades as well and I would expect them to be ready shortly after the new units start to ship.

The MSRP is 2995.00 for the upgrade.

It does require the machine to be sent into Theta as the Front Display gets upgraded along with the new processing card etc.

Dolby Atmos and Dts X are fully supported at Release and Auro is planned possibly for the future.

Thanks
Craig
Theatermax
20+ Years of Theta Magic
GREAT [email protected]@@@

Good thing I already have my four in ceiling KEF THX speakers, with Audioquest in wall speaker cable spool and ATI multi-channel amp, for the Atmos/DTS-X channels, soon to be on their way to me (courtesy of my dealer Craig/VGI of course)! BRING IT ON!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Good thing I already have my four in ceiling KEF THX speakers, with Audioquest in wall speaker cable spool and ATI multi-channel amp, for the Atmos/DTS-X channels, soon to be on their way to me (courtesy of my dealer Craig/VGI of course)! BRING IT ON!
I'm guessing your CB4 will soon be absent from your rack - never to return as a CB4?

Dave
post #11163 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I'm guessing your CB4 will soon be absent from your rack - never to return as a CB4?

Dave
I'm not getting a Datasat, Storm or a SSP from any other company than [email protected]@ I can sure tell you that!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11164 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not getting a Datasat, Storm or a SSP from any other company than [email protected]@ I can sure tell you that!
You may have missed it - I was mentioning that you will never have a CB4 in your rack again (it will be a CB4A :-)

Dave
post #11165 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
You may have missed it - I was mentioning that you will never have a CB4 in your rack again (it will be a CB4A :-)

Dave
I didn't miss it. I was being coy!

Actually, I will not have a CB4A ever! It will be a CBIVA! Ha! Keep in mind though new units come first, upgrades come later as Theta works out what's needed for the upgrade!
So my CBIV may still be here for awhile (DARN)!

post #11166 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't miss it. I was being coy!

Actually, I will not have a CB4A ever! It will be a CBIVA! Ha! Keep in mind though new units come first, upgrades come later as Theta works out what's needed for the upgrade!
So my CBIV may still be here for awhile (DARN)!
Good one! Craig's vernacular (CB4) vs Steve's (CBIVA) - I picked the wrong one
post #11167 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1884 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:

Theta is building Brand New CB4a units as I write this and they will be ready to ship any day.

You can upgrade your Casablanca IV to Casablanca IVa for a very reasonable price of 2995.00.

Wow - GREAT news for Theta owners, and for Theta! Personally I don't care too much about Auro so this would be perfect for me.

1. Any info on upgrade cost from III HD to IVa please?

2. When would Theta start accepting units for upgrade (vs brand new ones)?

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #11168 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 05:27 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Wow - GREAT news for Theta owners, and for Theta! Personally I don't care too much about Auro so this would be perfect for me.

1. Any info on upgrade cost from III HD to IVa please?

2. When would Theta start accepting units for upgrade (vs brand new ones)?
Can

Please give me a jingle and I can update you.

Thx
Craig

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #11169 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will do Craig. Thnx.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #11170 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Considerations of your room (vs mine for example): wider distance between main speakers @ 14 ft, higher ceiling @ 12 ft, ceiling speakers not aimable and pointing straight down so you don't want to be too off-axis, you seem to have *2* MLP's 6 ft apart, one in front row one in back.

DTS:X exact specs of 45 degrees azimuth and elevation with 9 ft ear-to-ceiling height would call for about a 13 ft square I believe (9 ft x 1.4 "cannga's secret-sauce factor " = 12.6 ft).

Atmos specs are a touch more relaxing, you could line up ceiling speakers to be same width as main speakers ("home" Atmos rec) but 14 ft is IMHO *too* wide for ceiling speakers, or bring it closer (more like Atmos at commercial movie theaters). Elevation angles should be around 45 +/- 15 for your 4 ceiling speakers in top front and top rear position as in diagram posted by Sanjay a few posts prior. Atmos specs to me are more important than DTS:X simply because of Atmos's current market-place dominance.

I think it's important to have ceiling speakers evenly spaced front to back (important for front back panning) with 4 ceiling speaker system. You have 2-row MLP's so front ceiling speakers should be in front of front row, and back ceiling speakers should be behind back row so both MLP's would have "correct" sound placement.

So IMHO my vote and the bottom line: the front ceiling speakers should be around 3 ft in front of front row, and 8-10 ft apart, the rear ceiling speakers should be around 3 ft in back of back row, and 8-10 ft apart. You basically form "dome" of sound above both MLP's with speakers forming a rectangle that's 8 ft wide, 12 ft long, and actually meeting Atmos elevation specs for both MLP's. I prefer to keep this rectangle smaller rather than larger to maintain image clarity and stability on top, at the same time keeping your ceiling speakers not too off-axis.
Ok that takes care of Dolby Atmos & DTS-X for me! Next question - Auro 3D speakers and placement!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-21-2016 at 08:57 PM.
post #11171 of 13033 Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Well done Theta on this latest upgrade.
post #11172 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Can

Please give me a jingle and I can update you.

Thx
Craig
Craig,
what is the requirement for the upgrade from CBIV to CBIVa.....does the unit need to be shipped back to the factory, or can a technically savvy person perform the upgrade himself?

Thanks

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #11173 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Craig,
what is the requirement for the upgrade from CBIV to CBIVa.....does the unit need to be shipped back to the factory, or can a technically savvy person perform the upgrade himself?

Thanks
Factory because a new LCD display noting Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc must be installed. Just discussed this with Craig yesterday.

post #11174 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So IMHO my vote and the bottom line: the front ceiling speakers should be around 3 ft in front of front row, and 8-10 ft apart, the rear ceiling speakers should be around 3 ft in back of back row, and 8-10 ft apart. You basically form "dome" of sound above both MLP's with speakers forming a rectangle that's 8 ft wide, 12 ft long, and actually meeting Atmos elevation specs for both MLP's. I prefer to keep this rectangle smaller rather than larger to maintain image clarity and stability on top, at the same time keeping your ceiling speakers not too off-axis.
Quote:
Ok that takes care of Dolby Atmos & DTS-X for me! Next question - Auro 3D speakers and placement!

This is why I am so afraid of lawyers and your elephant-grade memory and documentation; where did you dig up my post from? I don't even remember I wrote it :-). Anyway, there are multiple issues and considerations too complicated to discuss in details here so I'll try to sum it up, all in my very humble opinions (any expert pls correct as needed). Bottom line IMHO is NO change to the above setup. Some considerations:

1. How is Auro is different? Essentially, it wants
a. 2 WALL, not ceiling, speakers above your front speakers, and 2 wall speakers above your rear surround speakers. All of these are at 30-40 degree elevation, hence wall instead of ceiling, although you could probably get away with putting them on ceiling, a compromise. (This difference is semi-incompatible with Atmos.).
b. It also wants a VOG right above your head. This is critical for Auro because it uses wall speakers and leave ceiling "uncovered." (Complicated but this difference is mostly incompatible with Atmos x.x.4 setup.)

2. The battle has already been decided so overwhelmingly in favor of Atmos that regardless, the system should be optimized for Atmos - which is what I posted above. It makes even more sense because Atmos setup is compatible with DTS:X. Auro is like an orphan with their 30 degree high wall speakers. Bottom line: regardless of SSP, to me top priority is set up system to be best for Atmos.

3. I don't think your ceiling speakers (pointing straight down and not aimed at listener) should be too much off axis, again making above Atmos setup with top layer speakers around MLP's head better than Auro setup where top layer speakers are on further away on top of main front and rear surround.

4. There are 2 main components of Auro: Auromatic the upmixer and Auro the movie codec. So assuming you keep the Atmos oriented setup, what's the price you have to pay?
a. Auromatic is to me more valuable since people *seem* to like it for upmixing music, and, being ambiance oriented (as opposed to specific gun-go-off-in-the-corner precise sound objects), with top layer a duplicate of lower layer, is good enough with your Atmos setup. ie Speakers not being in 100% precise position is acceptable/Ok for ambiance sound reproduction IMHO.
b. The Auro movie codec OTOH is compromised, but this codec is, IMHO, deader than a door nail :-), so not being to reproduce it exactly shouldn't shed any tears.
FWIW I do not upmix music (Auromatic hence not needed), and don't worry that there would be ANY serious movie that doesn't have Atmos or DTS so Auro is also out. ie I don't even want or need Auro in my CB IVa.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 12-22-2016 at 11:17 AM.
post #11175 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

This is indeed wonderful news! What would make it even better news would be if your local Dealer could install the cards and replace the faceplate.

I have only had my CB4 for TWO WEEKS and am not thrilled about shipping it back to California.

However, looking forward to the added dimension of four ceiling speakers.

John
post #11176 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
This is why I am so afraid of lawyers and your elephant-grade memory and documentation

[/B].
Go ahead and knock me as an attorney! But "elephant-grade memory"! WHOA! I'm gonna have to consult with my expert witness on this - TARZAN of course. It will have to be one of the older Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies though because the latest Tarzan movie really sucks!

Thanks for the info on Dolby Atmos. You are pretty much telling me what I figured was the case. And yea, my two channel sonics via Sonic Transporter i5 running Roon core with Sonore Microrendu, both connected by ethernet cable to network switcher, using Berkley Audio USB to digital converter, via AES/EBU digital to my CBIV, is simply so darn good
(and much better soncially than using HDMI) with such outstanding imaging/soundstage/dynamics that even though using CBIV to "synthesize" non-subwoofer channels sounds good, it really doesn't add and may detract from the clarity of voices and sometimes instruments - such that a multi-channel Auro 3D setup, which I could use on some 2L Blu Rays, still wouldn't sound as good (as its via HDMI) as my 2 channel USB converted to AES/EBU digital setup! So I"m not gonna worry about Auro 3D.

post #11177 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 04:59 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Craig,

Thanks
Doog

We prefer them to be done by the factory. The front panel work is tricky and involves installing new lights and glass work etc. I am sure some people want to do this themselves but we coordinate with Theta to do this quick and painlessly when scheduled properly.

Thx
CRaig

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #11178 of 13033 Old 12-22-2016, 05:03 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post
This is indeed wonderful news! What would make it even better news would be if your local Dealer could install the cards and replace the faceplate.

I have only had my CB4 for TWO WEEKS and am not thrilled about shipping it back to California.

However, looking forward to the added dimension of four ceiling speakers.
John

I know and feel your pain my friend. If you lived near by me I would do it for you but its really best done at Theta

Thx
Craig

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #11179 of 13033 Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Steve Bruzonsky , you're very welcome. Fully expect you to be first CB IVa upgrade customer - don't let me down (JK) .

Sorry about the needling for fun; couldn't help it as you really do an amazing job of keeping track of changes/upgrades to your system.

Regards, Can
post #11180 of 13033 Old 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
@Steve Bruzonsky , you're very welcome. Fully expect you to be first CB IVa upgrade customer - don't let me down (JK) .

Sorry about the needling for fun; couldn't help it as you really do an amazing job of keeping track of changes/upgrades to your system.
Nothing to be sorry about. I took your comments purely in [email protected]@@

post #11181 of 13033 Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Doog

We prefer them to be done by the factory. The front panel work is tricky and involves installing new lights and glass work etc. I am sure some people want to do this themselves but we coordinate with Theta to do this quick and painlessly when scheduled properly.

Thx
CRaig
Thanks Craig, I was under the impression that this was just a board change. Makes sense if there is more work such as display change. Of course, pulling the unit out of the MA rack, boxing up the unit is always a joy!
Merry xmas

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #11182 of 13033 Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Wishing Theta lovers everywhere Happy Hannukkah and Merry Christmas. May the grace of magnificent music be with you evermore.

Stereojeff
Sharp1080, cannga, thezaks and 1 others like this.
post #11183 of 13033 Old 12-25-2016, 06:09 PM
BP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Backer boxes for your KEF Ci200RR - THX's?

Quote:

Hi Steve;
I am about to install the same KEF in ceiling speakers as you. The news of the Atmos upgrade is very exciting and couldn't be timed better for me as I am doing a complete remodel of my listening space.
I was curious if you have decided to use backer boxes for your KEF in ceiling speakers. KEF doesn't offer any for this model so if I want them I will have to have my contractor make them or see if the Dynamat retro fit backer boxes can provide the volume the speakers need.
Thanks!
bp

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #11184 of 13033 Old 12-25-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Hi Steve;
I am about to install the same KEF in ceiling speakers as you. The news of the Atmos upgrade is very exciting and couldn't be timed better for me as I am doing a complete remodel of my listening space.
I was curious if you have decided to use backer boxes for your KEF in ceiling speakers. KEF doesn't offer any for this model so if I want them I will have to have my contractor make them or see if the Dynamat retro fit backer boxes can provide the volume the speakers need.
Thanks!
bp
Craig/VGI doesn't think this is necessary, so I'm not planning on this. But if you decide to do this fill me in on the why and how. The in-wall speaker cable and ATI amp won' t be here for a bit, and the install will take place once this stuff gets here!

post #11185 of 13033 Old 12-25-2016, 08:09 PM
BP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Craig/VGI doesn't think this is necessary, so I'm not planning on this. But if you decide to do this fill me in on the why and how. The in-wall speaker cable and ATI amp won' t be here for a bit, and the install will take place once this stuff gets here!
Hi Steve:
I will let you know what I ultimately find out. There seems to be differing opinions about it which is not a surprise! I think Craig is right but I am concerned about keeping speaker sound from traveling to a room above the system. If you don't have another room you need to keep quiet above your theater space it cetainly isn't necessary.
KEF provides a link on the spec section of the product page to a chart that advises a cubic volume for a backer box of 0.71 or greater to obtain the best bass response for the speaker. I need to quantify how different the Ci200RR - THX bass response is both with and without the back box.
I will keep you posted!
You have selected the perfect amp for the job!
Thanks!
bp

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #11186 of 13033 Old 12-25-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Hi Steve:
I will let you know what I ultimately find out. There seems to be differing opinions about it which is not a surprise! I think Craig is right but I am concerned about keeping speaker sound from traveling to a room above the system. If you don't have another room you need to keep quiet above your theater space it cetainly isn't necessary.
KEF provides a link on the spec section of the product page to a chart that advises a cubic volume for a backer box of 0.71 or greater to obtain the best bass response for the speaker. I need to quantify how different the Ci200RR - THX bass response is both with and without the back box.
I will keep you posted!
You have selected the perfect amp for the job!
Thanks!
bp
Thanks! I don't have to worry about keeping speaker sound from traveling to a room above - there isn't one! And I do have 2 monster JL Audio f212 subs for the very low end as well!

post #11187 of 13033 Old 12-26-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Wishing Theta lovers everywhere Happy Hannukkah and Merry Christmas. May the grace of magnificent music be with you evermore.

Stereojeff

Thank you & Happy Holidays to Theta and staffs! May ATI continue to prosper and give us more, more, and more wonderful toys!

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 12-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.
post #11188 of 13033 Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Thank you & Happy Holidays to Theta and staffs! May ATI continues to prosper and give us more, more, and more wonderful toys!
Absolutely! May Theta Digital/ATI "Live Long and Prosper". Imaging the company and products of Theta Digital/ATI in the 23rd Century of Mr. Spock & Star Trek, when the Theta CBXXX will take you "nowhere man has ever been before"!

post #11189 of 13033 Old 12-27-2016, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
WOW,
Haven't been to this thread in a while.
Time to start reading and get caught up.
post #11190 of 13033 Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Steve:
...but I am concerned about keeping speaker sound from traveling to a room above the system. If you don't have another room you need to keep quiet above your theater space it cetainly isn't necessary.
We also have a room above the system, but it's more of an issue with the bass (sub), rather than the surround speakers.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page