The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 419 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1376Likes

post #12541 of 13242 Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 1864
John came by and replaced the card for me this morning. (What service!) Prelim evaluation: yes it passes 4k HDR. I am still testing but preliminary result is great, much more stable than original card.

Per John, input 3 and 4 have higher bandwidth than 1 & 2. FWIW, my Sony 800 Bluray player is connected to input 2, yet appears to pass HDR anyway.

Quick question for those who have had the card replaced: did the process wipe out all the setup data you've entered? Such as speaker levels, card configuration, crossover points, etc.? My data were wiped out, but I wonder if I have hit factory reset accidentally? Already happened so no big deal, just curious whether I will have to redo Dirac as well.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 13242 Old 08-19-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, hint for yet another rumor: if your processor has 3 card slots, and each slot could hold 6 DAC's, how many channels is the processor capable of? 3x6=18

I have no plan to go beyond 7.1.4 (diminishing return from demo's I've heard and definitely not necessary for small rooms), but 18 is a nice number and 11.1.6 would be fairly cool for those who like more channels. Please remember though this is only rumor, and that Theta has always operated in a parallel time-space continuum.

The ultra-talented engineer David Kerstetter (formerly @ DTS https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-kerstetter-3b13834) is a Theta "consultant," so there is hope that the 2 universes, Theta's and ours, may yet meet!

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 08-20-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #12543 of 13242 Old 08-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you both for enriching my understanding!
To answer the question about using ARES or DIRAC, I got mixed messages - some said after implementing changes using DIRAC, the Movies sounded much better/awesome. Others said, the correction sometimes can go too far to suppress unique (please "good") characteristic of Speakers like Revel or KEF ...
I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to tweak the ARES setup, but just used it with minimal interjection, such as setting it for frequencies above 250 etc.
If I use my 4k OPPO 203 and directly connect to JVC DLA-X790 Projector, which is THX3D and produce Video close to 4k (it is not native 4k, but upscale close to that), then - I guess I can use Theta only for audio connection and channel the sound to the Speakers via the Processor.
So, there might be no urgent need to upgrade to CB IV for Video. However, if DIRAC really makes a difference in Audio, I have to upgrade eventually. I will use my system @ 70% Movies and 30% Music.

Craig, I noted your contact info, and was planning to connect later, after making a decision about CB. I will send you a email to have some idea about the cost to upgrade to CB IV if I decide to go with the III.

Thanks a bunch to you all once again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12544 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
BTW, hint for yet another rumor: if your processor has 3 card slots, and each slot could hold 6 DAC's, how many channels is the processor capable of? 3x6=18

I have no plan to go beyond 7.1.4 (diminishing return from demo's I've heard and definitely not necessary for small rooms), but 18 is a nice number and 11.1.6 would be fairly cool for those who like more channels. Please remember though this is only rumor, and that Theta has always operated in a parallel time-space continuum.

The ultra-talented engineer David Kerstetter (formerly @ DTS https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-kerstetter-3b13834) is a Theta "consultant," so there is hope that the 2 universes, Theta's and ours, may yet meet!
Not a rumor. I just talked with Theta Tech John Baloff. Theta is working on the next CB version with up to 18 channels, but keep in mind this is also dependent on Dolby Digital, DTS and Dirac cooperation on their software - so although its in the works, until its here, its vaporware that will hopefully turn into a new Casablanca model down the pipe. Also, as the DSP will be new, for those of us who don't need more than the current 12 channels, will it sound better - that's a question we won't know until its all done. Theta is also working on a USB input for audio as well - the big question though is can it be done for reasonable cost and sound as good or better than top external USB to digital converters than the Berkeley Audio one that I use. Again vaporware and unless it can sound better than a good external USB converter why bother?

I just did a firmware upgrade for the latest CBIVA version which John Baloff emailed to me. Yea, at the very start of an album the track cut off for a tiny tad - no longer, not an issue anymore. Sonically appears to be the same as prior beta firmware. Accepts via digital coaxial/AES/EBU 44k, 48k, 88k, 96k and 192k. Doesn't accept 176k. with ROON and CBIVA, sounds best upsampling/downsampling to 96k & 88k anyway, because the CBIVA internally processes at 96k. If I used ROON to upsample/downsample to 192k & 176k (if CBIVA accepted AES/EBU 176k, which it doesn't), it doesn't sound quite as good, as using 96k & 88k, because then the CVIVA would have to do an extra step of sample rate converting to 96k & 88k. Over the years and recently I have confirmed this by listening. And John Baloff mentioned today that this makes sense to him as well.

Also, Dirac has announced a new version of its SSP firmware but that its currently only available for NAD and 3 other companies, not Theta Digital. Note this new Dirac software is touted as being more simple to use but not any better sounding. Theta will have to get with Dirac and get their cooperation on this new version, and my educated guess is that we won't see this for the CBIVA but hopefully for the next Casablanca. Never hurts to have a simpler setup! John emphasized he's excited about Dirac Unison if it ever comes available - IF - because you can then play 2 channel and use other speakers for room correction of the 2 channel [email protected]@@ But who knows if and how long down the road Dirac may get this done, if ever!

DO NOT ask or speculate re time frame on the version of the Casablanca. If and when it is here it will be announced! Idle speculation is a waste of time!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 08-21-2018 at 02:51 PM.
post #12545 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Theta is also working on a USB input for audio as well - the big question though is can it be done for reasonable cost and sound as good or better than top external USB to digital converters than the Berkeley Audio one that I use. Again vaporware and unless it can sound better than a good external USB converter why bother?
MCh over USB. HDMI no longer necessary.
post #12546 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just did a firmware upgrade for the latest CBIVA version which John Baloff emailed to me. Yea, at the very start of an album the track cut off for a tiny tad - no longer, not an issue anymore. Sonically appears to be the same as prior beta firmware.
Some good stuffs posted there.

1. So *zero* cutoff with new firmware? I'll have to ask John for this. Any advice/warning about importing the firmware?

2. Have you installed the new HDMI card yet? If yes, did your Casablanca do an automatic factory reset (at least for speaker level, delay, and crossover)? If yes, did it lose the Dirac filter.

TIA.

Regards, Can
post #12547 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabu5Y View Post
I am contemplating buying a CB3 HD with 4k, and 2 premium DACs. But it doesn't have DIRAC like in CB4.
Currently have a Krell Foundation that can be set up using ARES. So, I am hesitant to buy something without room correction software.
Being a new potential user of Theta, I am looking for some input from veteran Theta CB users.

Will I be able to set up CB3 manually that will sound as good or at least close to as good that is set up using DIRAC? Or is it going to be quite a big difference in SQ due to not using DIRAC?
Is there any option to use external Room Correction equipment paired with CB3? Like - can I use MiniDSP DDRC-88A Dirac Live processor by setting it up in between my Source Oppo and Theta CB3 to accomplish what comes as integral part of CB4? This is possibly a $1000 investment.

I will use 5.2 set up with two Rythmik Subs and Revel Speakers.

Will appreciate any help!

I'll take a CB3 any day over a Krell or anything else suggested. Why? I have owned it or demod it at one time or another. CB wins hands down and the low cost upgrade path + world class support seals the deal. (CB with extreme DAC for FL/FR/C/Sub, it is important to have at least one Extreme D2 or D3 DAC in the unit!)

Get the CB. Talk to Craig @ Theatermax / VGI for the best deal + actual dealer support. Once you go Theta CB you will not want to use anything else. For me the big draw on the CB4 is the move to 96-24 audio processing.

I'm not sure if the latest HDMI 4k 2.2 card can be used on a CB3. however- the newest HDMI 4k card (gen 3?) rocks! i have been flogging it mercilessly and it has not missed a beat one single time! ultra stable. perfecto.

For me- and only for me- the Atmos is not on my important list. But I realize not everyone has 9' tall, 92db sensitive BG Radia line array speakers and 4 18" servo Bag End infrasubs (7.2 setup) surrounding their listening room. lol. Atmos not required for my present room size (35x20 roughly). The CB3 and 4 have such depth / dimension that sound localization and movement is insanely engaging.

We are all gushing about our CB4's - but really, the CB3 with an Extreme DAC and a Premium or Superior II dac is no slacker- still whips just about everything else out there. specially at the current entry price points, it is a no brainer for what you get in terms of sheer quality and enjoyment.

Last edited by k_lewis; 08-21-2018 at 06:57 PM.
post #12548 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. So *zero* cutoff with new firmware? I'll have to ask John for this. Any advice/warning about importing the firmware?

2. Have you installed the new HDMI card yet? If yes, did your Casablanca do an automatic factory reset (at least for speaker level, delay, and crossover)? If yes, did it lose the Dirac filter.

TIA.

There was no loss or reset of any settings when I installed the new HDMI card. Super easy.
post #12549 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post
MCh over USB. HDMI no longer necessary.
That would be phenomenal but whether it is doable at what Theta and consumers consider is a reasonable cost is the big question! Theta is likely working on 2 channel usb input first to determine if that is worthwhile.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #12550 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:

TIA.
Yes zero cutoff! I haven’t installed the new HDMI card yet, which John says is on like it’s 40th software version from the vendor!

post #12551 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post
I'll take a CB3 any day over a Krell or anything else suggested. Why? I have owned it or demod it at one time or another. CB wins hands down and the low cost upgrade path + world class support seals the deal. (CB with extreme DAC for FL/FR/C/Sub, it is important to have at least one Extreme D2 or D3 DAC in the unit!)

Get the CB. Talk to Craig @ Theatermax / VGI for the best deal + actual dealer support. Once you go Theta CB you will not want to use anything else. For me the big draw on the CB4 is the move to 64-bit audio processing.

I'm not sure if the latest HDMI 4k 2.2 card can be used on a CB3. however- the newest HDMI 4k card (gen 3?) rocks! i have been flogging it mercilessly and it has not missed a beat one single time! ultra stable. perfecto.

For me- and only for me- the Atmos is not on my important list. But I realize not everyone has 9' tall, 92db sensitive BG Radia line array speakers and 4 18" servo Bag End infrasubs (7.2 setup) surrounding their listening room. lol. Atmos not required. The CB3 and 4 have such depth / dimension that sound localization and movement is insanely engaging.

We are all gushing about our CB4's - but really, the CB3 with an Extreme DAC and a Premium or Superior II dac is no slacker- still whips just about everything else out there. specially at the current entry price points, it is a no brainer for what you get in terms of sheer quality and enjoyment.
You mean 96-24 audio processing, not 64 bit!

post #12552 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You mean 96-24 audio processing, not 64 bit!

LOL - pure brain fart on that one (96/24 is what I meant)- messing with computers too much today. thanks and corrected.
post #12553 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
That would be phenomenal but whether it is doable at what Theta and consumers consider is a reasonable cost is the big question! Theta is likely working on 2 channel usb input first to determine if that is worthwhile.
It would be a shame if Theta were to limit USB input to two channel. One can already feed two channels to the CB. I would not pay anything for a redundant two channel input. This is a SSP, not two channel pre. Moreover, I do not believe Theta customers are going to cheap out for a MCh USB input.

As an alternative or in conjunction, Theta should develop and implement an ethernet input. Run a cable from the router and be done, all formats audio and video.
7ryder likes this.
post #12554 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There was no loss or reset of any settings when I installed the new HDMI card. Super easy.
When I leaned over to connect cables I must have entered factory reset. The cards' channel assignments and lots of other things totally messed up. Ouch.

Will have to check with John what has happened to my Dirac filter.

Regards, Can
post #12555 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most definitely.

Regards, Can
post #12556 of 13242 Old 08-21-2018, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I leaned over to connect cables I must have entered factory reset. The cards' channel assignments and lots of other things totally messed up. Ouch.

wow- curious what John has to say about that- seems unusual??? hope you get up and running again soon.
post #12557 of 13242 Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Party View Post
It would be a shame if Theta were to limit USB input to two channel. One can already feed two channels to the CB. I would not pay anything for a redundant two channel input. This is a SSP, not two channel pre. Moreover, I do not believe Theta customers are going to cheap out for a MCh USB input.

As an alternative or in conjunction, Theta should develop and implement an ethernet input. Run a cable from the router and be done, all formats audio and video.
I posted here requesting Ethernet input for 2ch and multichannel a few years ago. Doesn’t seem it’s being considered for the next Casablanca version!

post #12558 of 13242 Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:

If you saved the Dirac filter in your laptop it’s easy to reload! Another brain fart?

post #12559 of 13242 Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you saved the Dirac filter in your laptop it’s easy to reload! Another brain fart?
Listen at this age, any brain fart is just one of many. Especially with technical stuffs.

Good point thanks. I have to go back and look. It's been so long ago I have completely forgotten.

Regards, Can
post #12560 of 13242 Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Get the CB. Talk to Craig @ Theatermax / VGI for the best deal + actual dealer support. Once you go Theta CB you will not want to use anything else. For me the big draw on the CB4 is the move to 96-24 audio processing.

For me- and only for me- the Atmos is not on my important list. But I realize not everyone has 9' tall, 92db sensitive BG Radia line array speakers and 4 18" servo Bag End infrasubs (7.2 setup) surrounding their listening room. lol. Atmos not required for my present room size (35x20 roughly). The CB3 and 4 have such depth / dimension that sound localization and movement is insanely engaging.

Thank you much! However, my concern is regarding the level of difficulty to setup CB III properly without help of DIRAC. Folks are raving about DIRAC and commenting it makes a huge difference when using vs NOT using it. Of course I am aware that there are some people who prefer not to use any room correction software. Some others use it only for correcting lower frequencies.
Will I be able to have the true Theta SQ and benefit even without a DIRAC? Is there any workaround if I don't have it?
post #12561 of 13242 Old 08-24-2018, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you much! However, my concern is regarding the level of difficulty to setup CB III properly without help of DIRAC. Folks are raving about DIRAC and commenting it makes a huge difference when using vs NOT using it. Of course I am aware that there are some people who prefer not to use any room correction software. Some others use it only for correcting lower frequencies.
Will I be able to have the true Theta SQ and benefit even without a DIRAC? Is there any workaround if I don't have it?
Yes, yes, and yes. Theta for many years was only a 2 channel ultra high-end company. It made its reputation on one of the first stand alone DA converters ever designed, the landmark Theta Pro. (Theta Pro was in fact part of the start of the high-end digital "revolution." At that point the all-digitals-sound-the-same concept was the order of the day and Sony CD player was supposedly all you need.)

The "house sound" of Theta is based on multiple factors (the 3 main sections of a DAC):
1. hefty power supply design (the power supply design of Casablanca puts competitors to shame),
2. top DAC chip/digital stage design,
3. last, and perhaps, MOST important, the AUDIOPHILE :-) analog stage design.

The Theta "sound" is an accumulation of 1-3 above, not because of Dirac. You will hear the qualities (layered soundstage, clean/punchy/powerful bass, separation of instruments, "black" background - LOL, no flame guys ) without Dirac. As a long time Krell man, I am confident to say, preamp design is never Krell's strong point, Dan D'Agostino or not, and you WILL be pleased how much better Casablanca is. Casablanca III HD was, and still is, a "killer."

Give the III HD a try, if you like it, upgrade to IV. As mentioned, IV is highly recommended because of not just Dirac, but Atmos, and 4k video pass through as well.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 08-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #12562 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Yes, yes, and yes. Theta for many years was only a 2 channel ultra high-end company. It made its reputation on one of the first stand alone DA converters ever designed, the landmark Theta Pro. (Theta Pro was in fact part of the start of the high-end digital "revolution." At that point the all-digitals-sound-the-same concept was the order of the day and Sony CD player was supposedly all you need.)

The "house sound" of Theta is based on multiple factors (the 3 main sections of a DAC):
1. hefty power supply design (the power supply design of Casablanca puts competitors to shame),

The Theta "sound" is an accumulation of 1-3 above, not because of Dirac. You will hear the qualities (layered soundstage, clean/punchy/powerful bass, separation of instruments, "black" background - LOL, no flame guys ) without Dirac. As a long time Krell man, I am confident to say, preamp design is never Krell's strong point, Dan D'Agostino or not, and you WILL be pleased how much better Casablanca is. Casablanca III HD was, and still is, a "killer."

Give the III HD a try, if you like it, upgrade to IV. As mentioned, IV is highly recommended because of not just Dirac, but Atmos, and 4k video pass through as well.
I followed the development of Theta from the beginning....when I traded in my Angstrom...for a CB I, and waited impatiently for delivery. I've been upgrading my CB ever since...and my latest upgrade, to the IVa, with Extreme Docs all around is truly amazing: the sound is so...NATURAL...so not fatiguing, so open and smooth....WE watched 'Inception' last night, the new 4k version...and I have to say....the sound was the best part of the experience. And truly....ONLY with Theta....
post #12563 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Smile

Quote:

After reading the comments from you and Stacy11, I am going to pull the trigger I moved to a new home - building a dedicate HT Room following the recommended specification of Width = Ceiling height x 1.6 & Length = Ceiling height x 2.6. So, will manually set up Theta, and hope that the absence of DIRAC will have acceptably minimum impact, if any. I do thank you both for sharing your great experience and valuable knowledge!
post #12564 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
After reading the comments from you and Stacy11, I am going to pull the trigger I moved to a new home - building a dedicate HT Room following the recommended specification of Width = Ceiling height x 1.6 & Length = Ceiling height x 2.6. So, will manually set up Theta, and hope that the absence of DIRAC will have acceptably minimum impact, if any. I do thank you both for sharing your great experience and valuable knowledge!
You will not be disappointed...and BTW, I do not run DIRAC (yet) on my CB IVa. Why? Too lazy, too confusing, and it sounds just perfect as is....

Maybe, at some point, I will try and set up Dirac, (or talk John into another house call), but for now, Happy as can be....
post #12565 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
You will not be disappointed...and BTW, I do not run DIRAC (yet) on my CB IVa. Why? Too lazy, too confusing, and it sounds just perfect as is....

Maybe, at some point, I will try and set up Dirac, (or talk John into another house call), but for now, Happy as can be....
Great, thank you Stacy! I texted my seller individual confirming that I am buying. Also sent out a mail to John B to connect with him for future help in initial set up. This is my first Theta. So I sure can use all the help I can get
post #12566 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great, thank you Stacy! I texted my seller individual confirming that I am buying. Also sent out a mail to John B to connect with him for future help in initial set up. This is my first Theta. So I sure can use all the help I can get
Congrats! I don't follow pricing anymore so maybe won't be able to help, but if you like, you could post data of that machine here in case anyone more experienced than me has something to add.

What cards does that CBIII HD have? Pricing is pretty good? Hope this helps. Now I feel somewhat responsible for your purchase; what I get for hyping Theta.

BTW as already mentioned, I only set up my Dirac to correct below the Shroeder transition frequency (below 400 Hz), and even then I don't use it. The sound is still shockingly good, if I may say so myself.

Regards, Can
post #12567 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Thank you for re-enforcement in helping me to make the decision. I confirmed to buy the CB III HD. This was bought by the gentleman as CB III originally, not a progressive upgrades from I to II to III. So, it would be easy to move to IV if I feel like - may be next year. Meantime, will focus on setting the machine once I receive. By HT room is going to be complete in about a month or so ... getting everything ready for the big day BTW, this CB III has Premium DAC. I heard Xtreme is the best, so - that might be my first upgrade. Is Xtreme significantly better sounding that Premium? Just curious.
post #12568 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for re-enforcement in helping me to make the decision. I confirmed to buy the CB III HD. This was bought by the gentleman as CB III originally, not a progressive upgrades from I to II to III. So, it would be easy to move to IV if I feel like - may be next year. Meantime, will focus on setting the machine once I receive. By HT room is going to be complete in about a month or so ... getting everything ready for the big day BTW, this CB III has Premium DAC. I heard Xtreme is the best, so - that might be my first upgrade. Is Xtreme significantly better sounding that Premium? Just curious.
Xtreme is better and IMHO is recommended for LCR and subwoofer, but I probably would just wait until after your initial evaluation before making any move. Premium is pretty good already. My cards so you could compare:

Xtreme D2: L, R, C, Subwoofer
Premium: Ground level surrounds - L side, R side, L back, R back
Xtreme D3: Ceilings 1,2, 3, 4 (Long story short: I would have opted for Premium for ceiling speakers to keep cost down but at the time of my upgrade, only Xtreme D3 could do ceilings. I believe Premium now could do ceilings as well.)

Later on, you could buy Xtreme cards from @VGI / Craig, he goes by xtremefun (clever LOL) on www.audiogon.com .

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 08-25-2018 at 06:39 PM.
post #12569 of 13242 Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Congrats! I don't follow pricing anymore so maybe won't be able to help, but if you like, you could post data of that machine here in case anyone more experienced than me has something to add.

What cards does that CBIII HD have? Pricing is pretty good? Hope this helps. Now I feel somewhat responsible for your purchase; what I get for hyping Theta.

BTW as already mentioned, I only set up my Dirac to correct below the Shroeder transition frequency (below 400 Hz), and even then I don't use it. The sound is still shockingly good, if I may say so myself.

It has Premium card, so there is the possible upgrade potential to Xtreme, I guess. Yes - the price is good, moreover, I am buying from a nice gentleman I feel comfortable to deal with.
It is the best news for me to know that CB III sounds really great even without DIRAC!

Now, I would rephrase your statement a little bit, if I may - actually I see this as an inspiration for some one with theoretical understanding of Theta by reading, as opposed to truly using. So, yes, you inspired me to take the plunge Thank you!
I surely will share my specs with this group and solicit assistant, if I get stuck - because I have a noble goal to leverage the benefits of this Processor to the best of my ability.
post #12570 of 13242 Old 08-26-2018, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
We have done a lot of A/B comparisons of the same tracks streamed from Tidal full MQA using the Lumin Dac vs the CD version of the track streamed and using the CB dacs and once you hear the difference you'll start to understand why MQA isn't all its cracked up to be.
Thanks
Craig Shumer
Theatermax LLC
Well it would still be interesting to know if Theta is willing to implement MQA or not.
We actally don’t know how well it will sound on Theta DAC before it’s done.

And will it be done only on G8 or latest DAC in CB or both ?

Stereofile has written a lot about MQA. Se links under in the CA thread.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...qa-is-elegant/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page