The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1308Likes

post #12691 of 12963 Old 09-21-2018, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
If you call Theta Tech Support with the units serial # they can tell you for sure which HDMI card is in the unit - assuming the card was an upgrade from Theta.
Steve,
I sent the Serial # to John B, and he said the following:
"The HDMI card was replaced to bring to current performance standards."
So, that seems like a good news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 12963 Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
My guess: if I could replace it, then A LOT of people could . To me it's no more than pulling computer cards.

Once card is replaced, you enter the speaker assignment through an *extremely* simple process (don't have it with me but PM me or Steve for the secret code to enter). Hugely less painful than sending in Casablanca for card replacement.
Got it - thank you Cannga - much appreciated! I am really eyeing the Xtreme D2. Need to find a good price of a good condition one. Will keep one Premium for now to run the Surround. I am going use two Subs - so it will be tricky - with one D2 card, I can run two Mains, one Center. But can't cover the two Subs...
post #12693 of 12963 Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabu5Y View Post
Got it - thank you Cannga - much appreciated! I am really eyeing the Xtreme D2. Need to find a good price of a good condition one. Will keep one Premium for now to run the Surround. I am going use two Subs - so it will be tricky - with one D2 card, I can run two Mains, one Center. But can't cover the two Subs...
I have two JL Audio f212 subwoofers. Although I could run two sub outs from my CBIVA, I only run one, and my subs have connections so I can chain them one to the other. If your subs permit this then this is viable. You can also use a splitter at the CB to run two subs from one sub output - I did that some years ago.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12694 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Steve,
I sent the Serial # to John B, and he said the following:
"The HDMI card was replaced to bring to current performance standards."
So, that seems like a good news!
Very good news! Yea, I just got my CBIV-A upgraded to the new latest version HDMI card! Though I only use the CBIV-A HDMI card for audio sources, as I run all video through my Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor. So HDMI 1 is from Lumagen, HDMI 2 is from Oppo 205 4k blu ray player, and HDMI 3 is from my multi-channel music custom built modded CAPSv3 (music ripped from SACDs or bought on line on Western Digital server).

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #12695 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I agree. THe CBV for the ultimate. The Datasat for the less expensive SSP!
Quite a simple point that’s somehow so hard to get through. :-)

I expect Datasat to sound very good also, with the LS10 an extremely compelling product because of the price point.

Last edited by cannga; 09-22-2018 at 12:52 AM.
post #12696 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You’re very welcome. I use a splitter to run two subs. For Dirac, it’s more desireable to correct this way anyway, all subs as a group.. (More subs make room response more even and require less correction. Imho.)

Blue Jeans could make high quality splitter for you I think.

If you want to keep cost low, the Xtreme D2 is a perfect solution. Among the very best sounding.
post #12697 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
My (wild) guess would be: Trinnov = 40% to 50% and the others divide the rest with Theta and Datasat at the very bottom.
I highly doubt that. I guess with no data you can say Trinnov might have half the NEW market. Both Mcintosh and Theta have 20 plus years in the field. If any one company has 40% to 50% of the market, it would be one of those companies, likely Mcintosh. I've sold products to guys on Ebay in former Soviet Bloc countries whose name I have never heard, that own tons of Mcintosh gear. Mcintosh is that pervasive, just go to Best Buy. I think Trinnov is just getting a U.S. presence. They have to be at the bottom of the market as far as share. I'd say at the very bottom. I doubt they even have 10%.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 09-22-2018 at 06:17 AM.
post #12698 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I highly doubt that. I guess with no data you can say Trinnov might have half the NEW market. Both Mcintosh and Theta have 20 plus years in the field. If any one company has 40% to 50% of the market, it would be one of those companies, likely Mcintosh. I've sold products to guys on Ebay in former Soviet Bloc countries whose name I have never heard, that own tons of Mcintosh gear. Mcintosh is that pervasive, just go to Best Buy. I think Trinnov is just getting a U.S. presence. They have to be at the bottom of the market as far as share. I'd say at the very bottom. I doubt they even have 10%.
I have no data and I was referring only to "NEW market" and only for SSPs. And I could be off in my "guesstimate" by 99%. McIntosh has been around longer than any of the other companies. They were my "dream" audio company in the 60's. My first exposure to them was a guy in the next apartment who used McIntosh amps and preamp with his gigantic Bozak Concert Grand speakers. (If I remember correctly, McIntosh went into "hibernation?" for a while but were resurrected).

The point I was (very clearly unsuccessfully) trying to make was that the Trinnov SSP is the current high end processor "product to own". And if being almost the only high end SSP being used a CEDIA by other than the other manufactures themselves (no Datasat or Theta or McIntosh or ......) does not suggest such, then we will, as usual, agree to disagree. None of this suggests that the other products are not great, and at least to some ears, sonically superior!

Last edited by audioguy; 09-22-2018 at 06:54 AM.
post #12699 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@audioguy , product to be used at show is not necessarily the “product to own” as each of us has completely different priority and personal taste. Your point is getting more silly by the minute and we are going in circle so please let’s bring the silly argument to an end. I would suggest you start another thread titled “Trinnov the Product to Own,” please. It’s called netiquette.

Last edited by cannga; 09-22-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #12700 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4571 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
@audioguy , product to be used at show is not necessarily the “product to own” as each of us has completely different priority and personal taste. Your point is getting more silly by the minute and we are going in circle so please let’s bring the silly argument to an end. I would suggest you start another thread titled “Trinnov the Product to Own,” please. It’s called netiquette.
I was stating an opinion. I never said anything negative about the CB, Datasat or any other product.

That you suggest my opinion is "silly" speaks volumes about your own position on "netiquette".

But I will now bow out since I am not a CB owner! Have a great day!

Last edited by audioguy; 09-22-2018 at 07:47 AM.
post #12701 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
You’re very welcome. I use a splitter to run two subs. For Dirac, it’s more desireable to correct this way anyway, all subs as a group.. (More subs make room response more even and require less correction. Imho.)

Blue Jeans could make high quality splitter for you I think.

If you want to keep cost low, the Xtreme D2 is a perfect solution. Among the very best sounding.
By the way, as Dirac right now only provides for one subwoofer it makes sense to chain the subwoofers or use a splitter for multiple subwoofers.
However, the latest Dirac version (2nd for SSPs) which is out right now for only four companies (not Theta or Datasat, as each companies software engineers must upgrade software to accomodate the latest Dirac and whether or not this could require a more powerful processing chip I have no idea), I would think will be incorporated in the CBV, and the lastest version provides for at least 2 subwoofers (if our Dirac version provided for two subwoofers, then with 2 D3 DAC cards/12 channels and a 5 main speaker/2 subs/4 top speakers I would have the DAC output for a second subwoofer.

post #12702 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
And I could be off in my "guesstimate" by 99%. The point I was (very clearly unsuccessfully) trying to make was that the Trinnov SSP is the current high end processor "product to own". And if being almost the only high end SSP being used a CEDIA by other than the other manufactures themselves (no Datasat or Theta or McIntosh or ......) does not suggest such, then we will, as usual, agree to disagree. None of this suggests that the other products are not great, and at least to some ears, sonically superior!
"Product to own." Stop it! Theta Casablanca IVa is the product to own! Vastly superior build quality. I"m not sure how Trinnov compares to Dirac. Dirac is like Theta, however constantly evolving.

I not interested, but I do understand others may be, in being able to "move" speakers with processing. Being an audiophile, I try to physically locate the speaker were it will sound best, even if that means an AT screen.

No. You don't like Theta, haven't for very long time. Right now, I do so of course as usual we will disagree.

post #12703 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
I"m not sure how Trinnov compares to Dirac.
I have owned Trinnov and Dirac products each for many years and would say that any prospective customer should really audition them both in their own room before purchasing. They are not the same at all...

I started off with the Emotiva XMC1 for Dirac as it only cost a little bit more than the standalone Dirac box I was looking at and I wanted to replace my old Anthem D2 anyway. Based on that experience with Dirac I decided to get the RS20. Around that time the Theta Dirac solution hadn't been released and I didn't feel like waiting. I actually haven't heard the Theta Casablanca anywhere but based on my experience with my Theta Gen Va back in the day I'm sure it's a great sounding piece.
Bulldogger likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #12704 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I have owned Trinnov and Dirac products each for many years and would say that any prospective customer should really audition them both in their own room before purchasing. They are not the same at all...

I started off with the Emotiva XMC1 for Dirac as it only cost a little bit more than the standalone Dirac box I was looking at and I wanted to replace my old Anthem D2 anyway. Based on that experience with Dirac I decided to get the RS20. Around that time the Theta Dirac solution hadn't been released and I didn't feel like waiting. I actually haven't heard the Theta Casablanca anywhere but based on my experience with my Theta Gen Va back in the day I'm sure it's a great sounding piece.
I started out with a Theta Gen VA DAC back about 1994, and went to the CB when it came out in 1997!

What Trinnov have you owned and what was your sonic impression? Was it one of those ADA SSPs, or Sherwood Receivers, that had the Trinnov Optimizer?

post #12705 of 12963 Old 09-22-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had the Trinnov ST2 hifi which is a 4 channel unit that I used for my mains for 2 channel (ATC active 100 anniversary towers) and 2 JL F113 subs. Prior to this I flew in Adam Pelz who did a marvelous job integrating the subs with the mains. After the Trinnov I basically undid everything he did, lol, and put the subs back in a visually symmetric manner and used the delay offset capability in the Trinnov crossover menu to get a good blend.

Even though my room is dedicated I just couldn't get good, balanced and even bass with just the main speakers even though they are large with a big woofer. The Trinnov did improve things but it still sounded better with the subs in the picture. With the Dirac in the Datasat I can get a really good bass response from just the mains...same room, same position. In fact I checked to make sure that the subs weren't accidentally on, lol. I still may add the subs for 2 channel but for now I'm just enjoying it as is.

The Trinnov was highly flexible and a pretty good sounding unit. I compared it favourably with other decent preamps like the ML 326s, Krell KRC-HR, ATC SCA2.
I just wasn't able to get it to the level where I have things now with the Datasat. I could give a long winded answer but suffice it to say that although I quite liked having the ST2 in my 2 channel system I never really LOVED it.

post #12706 of 12963 Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 20
12 channel digi out

I'm planning on building an HT with Genelec speakers. I really would like to stay in the digital domain from source till speakers and trying to avoid unnecessary A/D conversions.

Datasat and Trinnov are the obvious choices but I found out now Theta has also a 12 channel digital out card. The Genelecs have digital XLR inputs and the Theta has digital XLR outputs, PERFECT!

My only question is now is that digital Theta card also working with Dolby Atmos in a 7.1.4 configuration???
post #12707 of 12963 Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
I'm planning on building an HT with Genelec speakers. I really would like to stay in the digital domain from source till speakers and trying to avoid unnecessary A/D conversions.

Datasat and Trinnov are the obvious choices but I found out now Theta has also a 12 channel digital out card. The Genelecs have digital XLR inputs and the Theta has digital XLR outputs, PERFECT!

My only question is now is that digital Theta card also working with Dolby Atmos in a 7.1.4 configuration???
The digital out card for the Casablanca, doesn't have digital volume control. It's just a full output signal. I don't think it will work in the manner you intend. The Datasat would work however. It does have digital volume control.
magicvinny likes this.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 09-23-2018 at 08:02 AM.
post #12708 of 12963 Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is also just a theory based upon some personal experience. Trinnov is using the "human" element to capture market share. I remember speaking with a very talented in audio AND sales representative, when the information junkie that I am inquired about technical aspects of the processor. Trinnov appears to be directly marketing to users and here's the guess part, dealers of other products. I can't fathom why they wouldn't also be reaching out directly to dealers with the sale pitch I got. When I look at the build quality of the processor and the asking price of Trinnov, I think there could be a lot more room to allow more profit in it for a dealer? That may be why we are seeing them at shows.

The arguments made to me were compelling. Had I not be "burned" with the experience of investing in 30K of electronics in a company new to the field that was soon out of business, I would have been swayed! Trinnov is using extremely competent professionals for both sales and acoustical tuning. For movies, everyone seems extremely happy with the processor. For the typical pre pro owner, feature have always been more of a selling point. Theta is more geared to the audiophile crowd, hence the highest built quality of the current high-end processors!

The Casablanca IVa is really a top notch hardware build with dacs that have I believe the highest signal to noise ratio of any processor. If you compare that to something like Storm Audio, that is using a switch mode power supply, there is no contest on hardware. Theta didn't just change the powers supply. David Reich, I understand spent a great deal of time improving the sonics of the Casablanca with his work on the power supply. The disadvantage of such a high quality build in the Casablanca, is that you don't have the flexibility to be below a certain dealer cost because it's more expensive to build. It has happened before with another once dominant brand having a great dealer profit than Theta.

The arguments made to me were compelling. Had I not be "burned" with the experience of investing in 30K of electronics in a company new to the field that was soon out of business, I would have been swayed! Trinnov is using extremely competent professionals for both sales and acoustical tuning. For movies, everyone seems extremely happy with the processor. For the typical pre pro owner, feature have always been more of a selling point. Theta does need an input to allow for direct streaming to the processor, either USB or Ethernet, like LAST YEAR. Some of the boards were removed from the Casablanca in the IV upgrade. One of those boards had digital inputs and the hardware link could be in it's former board position. I'm not a Roon user but such hardware could also be use to stream with other software like Jriver.

Roon, like Meridian does a great job of marketing. I remember Meridian having me convinced that one needed "apodising" filters. I even contacted Theta to inquire as to why the company wasn't using them! Now, MQA doesn't even use an apodising filter! That's largely why I started asking several audio engineers that are audiophile their opinion. Roon/RAAT may be a technically superior method for streaming with an ethernet card. I don't think it is superior to using an outboard USB converter into AES/EBU connection. That's extra hardware and inconvenient. Many may feel improved sound quality is trumped by the convenience of having an input that would allow direct streaming to the processor. However I don't think for one min. that sticking a noisy Ethernet card is going to improve sonics because it's directly connected to the hardware. Marketing!

post #12709 of 12963 Old 09-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Roon/RAAT may be a technically superior method for streaming with an ethernet card. I don't think it is superior to using an outboard USB converter into AES/EBU connection. That's extra hardware and inconvenient. Many may feel improved sound quality is trumped by the convenience of having an input that would allow direct streaming to the processor. However I don't think for one min. that sticking a noisy Ethernet card is going to improve sonics because it's directly connected to the hardware. Marketing!
Do you think that ethernet (802.11x) inherently creates more noise (conducted or radiated) than HDMI or I2S or even USB?
post #12710 of 12963 Old 09-23-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Do you think that ethernet (802.11x) inherently creates more noise (conducted or radiated) than HDMI or I2S or even USB?
Since 2011 I have used servers with an endpoint of digital audio connection to my Theta Casablanca. This has always sounded clearly better than HDMI. Initially I used a Bryston BDP-1 with digital coaxial out. In 2013 I had a custom modded CAPS (Computer Audiophile Server) built with an AMD Sapphire HDMI video card for both USB 2 channel (into Berkeley Audio Alpha USB Converter) and HDMI (multi-channel). I have gone through several USB out components since then for 2 channel, currently Sonore Signature Rendu SE. My 2 channel sonics have continued to improve based on component changes as well as system changes/tweaks whereas any HDMI improvement is due to system changes/tweaks. Don't get me wrong! My HDMI 2 channel and multi-channel sound very nice. But my USB 2 channel simply sounds more real, more you are there.

As for whether a Roon Ready component (such as Trinnov SSPs, or the CBV when its out) will sound better in my system just using audio over ethernet as opposed to using my current components discussed above, that's for me as an audiophile to find out, isn't it?

As I have previously stated, DCS, a very high end and well respected DAC company, has told me their new Roon Ready DACs sound appreciably better using ROON via ethernet as opposed to USB or digital inputs! I hope this proves true for Roon Ready SSP in my sytem as well. And other high end DAC manufacturers (not Berkeley Audio though) - Bryston, TAD, etc - are now going to be Roon Ready. So we will "see".

post #12711 of 12963 Old 09-23-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Bulldogger, fyi the dealer invoice for Trinnov isn't particularly low compared to say the Datasat. I don't know about the Theta

post #12712 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Quote:
Roon/RAAT may be a technically superior method for streaming with an ethernet card. I don't think it is superior to using an outboard USB converter into AES/EBU connection. That's extra hardware and inconvenient. Many may feel improved sound quality is trumped by the convenience of having an input that would allow direct streaming to the processor. However I don't think for one min. that sticking a noisy Ethernet card is going to improve sonics because it's directly connected to the hardware. Marketing!
I’m not sure. I’ll try to ask Amir. The Casablanca shows it’s audiophile pedigree with shielding between each segment unlike Trinnov. As I mentioned one of the leaders in high-end dacs, wouldn’t install such a card because it would pollute the dacs clocks. At least with the Casablanca the shielding would compartmentalize any noise radiated from such a card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F8174DC2-3707-4624-B5F9-DF60DAA890CC_1537789220580.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	2459498   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C955E6C-6C91-4093-A14D-68C8F5777130_1537789249992.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	2459502  

post #12713 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I’m not sure. I’ll try to ask Amir. The Casablanca shows it’s audiophile pedigree with shielding between each segment unlike Trinnov. As I mentioned one of the leaders in high-end dacs, wouldn’t install such a card because it would pollute the dacs clocks. At least with the Casablanca the shielding would compartmentalize any noise radiated from such a card.
Linn has been using LAN for their streamers since 2007, so I don't think this is true - both in theory and in personal experience - the issue is more that most manufacturers don't have the chops to do LAN correctly, so they default to USB or other legacy digital inputs.

I do agree, though, that USB is a flawed medium which is why Berkeley does what they do with their DAC & USB/SPDIF converter and is also the reason there are so many USB "decrapifiers" on the market.

If Theta does all of the stuff that you've cited elsewhere (that makes it the best SSP in your opinion) when they finally put an Ethernet card in a CB, then I am sure it will work correctly and probably sound great.

ChrisG
Seattle, WA
post #12714 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ryder View Post
I do agree, though, that USB is a flawed medium which is why Berkeley does what they do with their DAC & USB/SPDIF converter and is also the reason there are so many USB "decrapifiers" on the market.
If Theta does all of the stuff that you've cited elsewhere (that makes it the best SSP in your opinion) when they finally put an Ethernet card in a CB, then I am sure it will work correctly and probably sound great.
Thanks for the chuckle. And, of course, they're NOT cheap. I have one such "decrapifier" from Bel Canto.

This is why in some way it's a blessing if you can't hear a difference between methods and components. Saves a lot of money.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 09-24-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #12715 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Linn has been using LAN for their streamers since 2007, so I don't think this is true - both in theory and in personal experience - the issue is more that most manufacturers don't have the chops to do LAN correctly, so they default to USB or other legacy digital inputs.

It [email protected]@@

post #12716 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

You're getting at the heart of this issue; it's the individual implementation of the streaming transfer, not the underlying technology.

It's also important to differentiate between asynchronous and synchronous streaming. I would be surprised if there is any reason why any of the asynchronous transfer methods couldn't sound identical. The reason that the USB to S/PDIF converters can sound better is because of the timing recovery circuits and very high accuracy clocks in these converters are better implementations then are in the output units.

I agree with you, if Theta decides to implement a streaming interface, I would expect it to be very well done.
post #12717 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If Theta does all of the stuff that you've cited elsewhere (that makes it the best SSP in your opinion)
I wouldn't go that far, outright best. It's the best for many with audiophile leanings. If you need more channels, then it's not the best, not even something you can use. I never like to label anything the best. I know of at least three people that have switched to other processors in last couple of years and were happier with the new features of the new processor over the Casablanca. If a processor doesn't have the features, you want, how can it be the best? As for the issue of build quality, in my opinion, it's the best there is. I haven't heard many of the other products so can't voice an opinion.

post #12718 of 12963 Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I had the Trinnov ST2 hifi which is a 4 channel unit that I used for my mains for 2 channel (ATC active 100 anniversary towers) and 2 JL F113 subs. Prior to this I flew in Adam Pelz who did a marvelous job integrating the subs with the mains. After the Trinnov I basically undid everything he did, lol, and put the subs back in a visually symmetric manner and used the delay offset capability in the Trinnov crossover menu to get a good blend.

Even though my room is dedicated I just couldn't get good, balanced and even bass with just the main speakers even though they are large with a big woofer. The Trinnov did improve things but it still sounded better with the subs in the picture. With the Dirac in the Datasat I can get a really good bass response from just the mains...same room, same position. In fact I checked to make sure that the subs weren't accidentally on, lol. I still may add the subs for 2 channel but for now I'm just enjoying it as is.

The Trinnov was highly flexible and a pretty good sounding unit. I compared it favourably with other decent preamps like the ML 326s, Krell KRC-HR, ATC SCA2.
I just wasn't able to get it to the level where I have things now with the Datasat. I could give a long winded answer but suffice it to say that although I quite liked having the ST2 in my 2 channel system I never really LOVED it.
Great info. Thanks for the insight!

post #12719 of 12963 Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After a few weeks of use, I'm so happy with the new HDMI card in my CB 4a! Thanks guys for bringing it to my attention. The first HDMI card was truly schizophrenic in its behavior and the shenanigans it pulled.

My projector is the equally schizophrenic JVC (when it comes to HDMI), with a HDFury Linker in between to handle HDR no less, so for Casablanca and JVC to work well together is a huge relief indeed.

Heads up for fellow owners: I asked John about latest firmware update, and was told it's still being tested/perfected/etc. I'll check with John every once in a while, but if you hear anything about this firmware, please post here. The update hopefully will correct the slight noise/glitch at the beginning of a music track, and whatever other problems that we don't know about LOL.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 10-13-2018 at 05:35 PM.
post #12720 of 12963 Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Buddy,

I bought a CBII from ebay, and it does support Dolby and DTS decode, it works very well until I tried to do a "RESTORE FACTORY", I selected "EVERY THING" when I ran the restore. Once the restore was done, the decoding of "Dolby and DTS" light is off and doe not display, it can't decode any Dolby and DTS track now. Can anyone help and show me how to restore the decoding back as it works normal before I did the restore?

Thank you for your great support!
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page