The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 425 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1347Likes

post #12721 of 13112 Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4s2wd View Post
Hi Buddy,

I bought a CBII from ebay, and it does support Dolby and DTS decode, it works very well until I tried to do a "RESTORE FACTORY", I selected "EVERY THING" when I ran the restore. Once the restore was done, the decoding of "Dolby and DTS" light is off and doe not display, it can't decode any Dolby and DTS track now. Can anyone help and show me how to restore the decoding back as it works normal before I did the restore?

Thank you for your great support!
Steven
I’d recommend contacting John Baloff at Theta. CB II is long enough ago for most of us we’d just be speculating and making educated guesses. You may only need to reload the latest software version your hardware supports. John should be able to tell you that from your serial number or if you need something more.

I would not recommend grabbing the latest CB II software and loading it. You might get lucky if you’ve got the hardware to match or it could end in a brick and tears if you don’t. John can tell you this.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 13112 Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's been a while since I ran DIRAC...and going to do another set up....and had a question. After all the levels are set, don't you have to make sure all x-overs are on 'Full' before you run DIRAC? What about delays?
post #12723 of 13112 Old 11-18-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
It's been a while since I ran DIRAC...and going to do another set up....and had a question. After all the levels are set, don't you have to make sure all x-overs are on 'Full' before you run DIRAC? What about delays?
Here's notes I've written/plaguarized on my own Dirac setup which may help you (I have 5 Aerial 7ts, 4 KEF in ceiling THX speakers, and 2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers chained) (note that DIRAC I think disengaged SSP settings for x-vers, nonetheless, as my own precaution I manually set all speakers to x-over "Full" and have speaker distances entered in the CBIV-A menu prior to running Dirac. Then after Dirac is all done and the filter loaded, I set the crossovers and redo speaker levels - see below for more detailed info)

Dirac Live Setup Procedure with Theta Casablanca IV-A:

Before Dirac setup, you turn off all crossovers and set all speakers full range with 1 subwoofer (chain multiple subwoofers). (Technically, Dirac overrides CBIV-A crossovers, slopes and delays, so really doesn’t matter what the CBIV crossovers, slopes and delays are set to). Set speaker levels - play a 2 channel music CD on infinite repeat during speaker level setup (which will initiate being able to use internal test tones) so that all speakers and the 1 subwoofer are equal in level at 70 dB. Use CBIV-A’s built-in speaker level test tones for this.
On first page of Dirac setup select Custom, 10 speakers, Theta Casablanca with 4 heights. When you get to the mic setup page, the first time around, only Left and Right channel show. You then have to enter the other 8 channels manually and then rescan. It is this rescan step that seems to cause the subwoofer check mark to be de-selected. Before Dirac measurement step, take one last look to see that the subwoofer channel is checked as "subwoofer."

Now perform the Dirac measurements. Play a 2 channel music CD on infinite repeat during spl level setup and Dirac setup. Since the music is playing, how could you set up mic gain and start any measurement? When you are ready to set up the mic gain, click on the little arrow/play button of the left front channel, the music would then mute so you could start calibrating and measuring. Use couch/sofa measurements, not chair, as former best gauges room characteristics and will sound the best. Use the “Save Project” and “Save Target” as you perform the measurements and setup the crossovers. Do Dirac measurements with leather recliners upright not reclined.

STOP the CD before uploading the Dirac file to CBIV-A or uploading will fail. If you have multiple Dirac filters, the CB IV-A only holds one Dirac filter at a time. In order to load a different filter, connect the CBIV-A via USB cable to laptop, connect microphone via USB cable to laptop, open Dirac program on laptop, and d0 not do anything in the Dirac program except to load the new filter. Then go direct to load the new filter to the CBIV-A without clicking on anything else in the Dirac program.

Next set the CBIV-A crossovers with 12 dB slope (so that the CBIV 12 dB slope combined with the Dirac target curve 12 dB slope = 24 dB slope combined) as indicated by the Dirac measurements. Next set the speaker delays, adding 12 ms for subwoofer group delay). Next upload the Dirac filter to the CBIV-A. Next play a CD on infinite repeat and reset speaker levels based on the speaker crossovers, slopes and delays that you have set. Follow the procedure outlined in the Theta CBIV manual (and of course add the “top” speakers), setting speaker levels using the CBIV-A’s internal test tones to 70 dB, and setting the subwoofer’s internal amplifier level to 76 dB (if using analog Radio Shack sound level meter which needs correction for subwoofer test tone compared to other speaker level test tones). And of course, this is a starting point, you may want to set subwoofer “hotter” with a higher level than other speakers – your subjective opinion on this is what counts. Once you’ve set speaker levels post-Dirac, only then do you enter your source inputs, delays, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12724 of 13112 Old 11-18-2018, 07:58 AM

Bad news folks. Although ATI/Theta Digital has great products, they will not be coming out with an audiophile hearing aid. And I have first time new hearing aids which probably are more significant for me for better sonics for movies/tv, two channel, and live concerts out and about than any upgrade I could now make to my home theatre and audio setup!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...e-theatre.html

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #12725 of 13112 Old 11-21-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
It looks like Theta freshened up it's website. www.thetadigital.com I like it!

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #12726 of 13112 Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
It looks like Theta freshened up it's website. www.thetadigital.com I like it!
Yes. Nice job redoing/freshening the Theta website. Though I ran through it and all the info there seems pretty much identical to before, nothing new.
I did notice Theta advertises there that it sells new CBIIIHD and CBIVA SSPs, but not new CBIV SSPs. And the manual remains the CBIV manual, not a CBIVa manual.

post #12727 of 13112 Old 11-26-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
...I did notice Theta advertises there that it sells new CBIIIHD and CBIVA SSPs, but not new CBIV SSPs. And the manual remains the CBIV manual, not a CBIVa manual.

Yep, I had noticed that as well.

Dave
post #12728 of 13112 Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM

I get new surrounds..and was going to run DIRAC today. Again, issue. This time with the mic files to upload. I can't find them! It used to just come up..but no longer. I have 3 USB flash drives from Theta...but none seem to have the mic calibration codes on them. On the video it looks like a .txt file...starting with the number 7. I tried it..no luck. Anyone have the file they can upload to me..it can't be that large?
post #12729 of 13112 Old 12-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
I get new surrounds..and was going to run DIRAC today. Again, issue. This time with the mic files to upload. I can't find them! It used to just come up..but no longer. I have 3 USB flash drives from Theta...but none seem to have the mic calibration codes on them. On the video it looks like a .txt file...starting with the number 7. I tried it..no luck. Anyone have the file they can upload to me..it can't be that large?
The correct file is labeled 7002406.txt. Its in a folder with a load of microphone files, but this is the one for the CB. If you don't have it, AVS PM me with your email and I'll email it.

post #12730 of 13112 Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 AM

I found it...and I got it to work! Thanks
post #12731 of 13112 Old 12-25-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Getting GREAT MQA Sound from a “stock” Casablanca HDIIIHD

It occurred to me that the CBIIIHD’s sampling rate (assuming Extreme D-2 DAC) hits a wall at 96Khz. Additionally, the latest ROON version handles 1st MQA software unfolding, which tops at the very same 24/96. So then, the maximum benefit of MQA on a CBIIIHD would be that achieved through software. In other words, if you’re all-in Tidal w/MQA, then until Theta offers an actual MQA-complaint DAC, you might as well save your money and stick with the IIIHD.

Now, before you toss some cleverly-worded uses of the initials “MQA” my way, here’s the why:

Although moving to the D-3 opens sampling up to 192Khz, you’d STILL max out MQA tunes at the same 96K due to the lack of hardware MQA support to unfold the next level. Don’t get me wrong, the IVa offers Atmos, DTS-X and other worthy improvements, and the D-3 will certainly outperform the D-2 in every other manner, but focusing on MQA decoding specifically – not so much.

With me? So here’s the how:

Setup music server (I’m using a Bryston BDP-2) as Roon end-point, connected digitally to CBIIIHD (I’m using S/PDIF). With proper ROON settings (be sure to set MQA capabilities to “No MQA Support” and max sampling rate to 96Khz) you’ll be maxing out your Extreme D-2’s with MOST MQA tunes you toss it. Sure, you’re capped at 96, but have you heard how GREAT the D-2’s sound at 96khz?

If not, allow me – They sound sweet. So it’s no surprise that that’s exactly how ROON-unfolded Tidal MQA tunes sound when fed into CBIIIHD sporting Extreme D-2 DACs – absolutely terrific.

Down the road, Theta will offer an MQA- complaint D-??? which will take you to 192Khz and beyond, but meanwhile you’ve got all those MQA titles just waiting there for you -- at up to 24/96.

Happy Holidays -- Check out Sinatra’s A Jolly Christmas on Tidal in MQA for a Xmas smile.
post #12732 of 13112 Old 12-25-2018, 11:07 PM

CBIIIHD internal processing is 48k by the way, although it accepts up to 192k. CBIV & CBIV-A internal processing is 96k and accept up to 192k and also have Dirac Liive.

post #12733 of 13112 Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Understood. According to John B, the S/PDIF input card on the CBIIIHD and CB4/CB4A can accept a 24/96 and 24/192 signal, respectively. Sample Rate Conversion is then applied before the signal is sent to the DAC, where it is up-sampled to 384 (I know—website says 196 on the D-3) on the CB4/CB4A and I BELIEVE 96 on the CBIIIHD.

That said – it sounds great setup as I described, whether Redbook Flacs, Hi-Res Flacs, or Tidal Streaming -- particularly with MQA tunes.

I was on the road to the 4A until MQA simultaneously piqued AND confused my interest. When last we spoke, John described an uneasiness among the DAC designers with MQA’s access to the internal DACs, so this may be as good as MQA gets using Theta DACs for a while.
post #12734 of 13112 Old 12-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePiranha View Post
Understood. According to John B, the S/PDIF input card on the CBIIIHD and CB4/CB4A can accept a 24/96 and 24/192 signal, respectively. Sample Rate Conversion is then applied before the signal is sent to the DAC, where it is up-sampled to 384 (I know—website says 196 on the D-3) on the CB4/CB4A and I BELIEVE 96 on the CBIIIHD.

That said – it sounds great setup as I described, whether Redbook Flacs, Hi-Res Flacs, or Tidal Streaming -- particularly with MQA tunes.

I was on the road to the 4A until MQA simultaneously piqued AND confused my interest. When last we spoke, John described an uneasiness among the DAC designers with MQA’s access to the internal DACs, so this may be as good as MQA gets using Theta DACs for a while.
On the subject of manufacturers being uneasy about the licensing requirements of MQA (Meridian Audio and Warner Music) Linn are quite outspoken on the issue, going so far as to issue a press release “MQA is Bad for Music. Here’s Why” about it a couple of years back.

Setting aside the actual merits of the format itself, I can see why DAC designers and the brands they work for may raise an eyebrow at the small print.
post #12735 of 13112 Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM

Quick question about Levels. I ran DIRAC again...new speakers...set levels. But the level set up always has confused me! The online video says to play a PCM source via CD...which I do. Then once your in setup...I go to the inp section...selection 1 for the left speaker. It says to set this to 0. Hit the A/D button for Level, Then adjust the volume with the left-right buttons till you get 75db on the meter. For me to get 75, the volume number has to be like 60 or 65. That seems VERY loud. Then the video says to to to 2, 3, etc...and set each level to 75. But if you do that....how to you adjust the left speaker, when it was set to 0? Does this make sense? I used to play a CD, and make the level 75, then hit the A/D button, so it shows Level, and then adjust the levels of each channel. From memory...that was a general number value of around 45. Just wanted to know what I'm doing wrong?
post #12736 of 13112 Old 01-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
CB4 and dual 4k out

Anyone know if Theta is planning on getting a dual 4k card out on the CB4 platoform? Going projector route, last thing i want to do is get yet another switch box in the path. I may end up switching the Theta out if nothing is planned here in 2019.
post #12737 of 13112 Old 01-06-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Nice video on the updated website. https://www.thetadigital.com/casablanca-iva/ and pic of the Premium P3 card if you want the same dacs Trinnov uses.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #12738 of 13112 Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone tried an upgraded fuse for the CBIV? I've been offered a free Synergistic Research Blue fuse to try, so I thought the easiest access of all my components is the back of the CBIV. I found out it is a 2 amp MDL (slow blow), but I'm not sure of the length - is it 3/4" or 1.25"? I guess I could take it out and check for myself, but I'm at work right now. Anyway, if you know the length, let me know. If you've tried an upgraded fuse, let me know how that worked out too.

Thanks,

Dave
post #12739 of 13112 Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Here’s the fuse from my CBIII HD:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	576AD408-0F39-4766-97E2-1B0A1043E872_1546938452190.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2507562  
post #12740 of 13112 Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post
Here’s the fuse from my CBIII HD:

Thanks so much! I will see about getting that free fuse to try from SR.

Dave
sierraalphahotel likes this.
post #12741 of 13112 Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Bad news folks. Although ATI/Theta Digital has great products, they will not be coming out with an audiophile hearing aid. And I have first time new hearing aids which probably are more significant for me for better sonics for movies/tv, two channel, and live concerts out and about than any upgrade I could now make to my home theatre and audio setup!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...e-theatre.html
Which hearing aids did you go with? i have Costco, simply because i can control them with cell phone.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #12742 of 13112 Old 01-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post
Which hearing aids did you go with? i have Costco, simply because i can control them with cell phone.
Please read the hearing aid thread for info on my quest. But in a few words, I am just overcoming a health issue, ruptured appendix, and almost done I hope with outpatient hospital daily antibiotics, hopefully by end of week will get clear bill of health, then have appendix laparascopically removed probably in coming weeks, meanwhile my hearing is better now as I can hear 10 kHz test tone I couldn't hear at all before - so once I am fully recovered, I will have my hearing retested and go from there. WOOPS!

post #12743 of 13112 Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Has anyone tried an upgraded fuse for the CBIV? I've been offered a free Synergistic Research Blue fuse to try, so I thought the easiest access of all my components is the back of the CBIV. I found out it is a 2 amp MDL (slow blow), but I'm not sure of the length - is it 3/4" or 1.25"? I guess I could take it out and check for myself, but I'm at work right now. Anyway, if you know the length, let me know. If you've tried an upgraded fuse, let me know how that worked out too.

Thanks,

Dave
Why would a 'high end' fuse make any difference in any aspect of operation. Inquiring minds would like to know?

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #12744 of 13112 Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
Why would a 'high end' fuse make any difference in any aspect of operation. Inquiring minds would like to know?

I'll find out in the next month or so. Logically, if a person believes that high end power cords make a difference, then it makes sense that a high end fuse could make a difference as well.

Dave
post #12745 of 13112 Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
In other words, you believe that the design team at Theta digital were capable of providing some of the finest sound quality through engineering and design, yet fell short on providing the last possible ounce of sound quality improvement due to a substandard fuse or power cord? I find that interesting!

My Home Theater Site:

https://imageshack.com/a/dPJl/1
post #12746 of 13112 Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie View Post
In other words, you believe that the design team at Theta digital were capable of providing some of the finest sound quality through engineering and design, yet fell short on providing the last possible ounce of sound quality improvement due to a substandard fuse or power cord? I find that interesting!
Lets table this discussion. All Dave did was ask about fuse size. If he subjectively likes the sonics of fuse replacement that's his $$ and his call. Hey, I use stacked Symposium Rollerblocks under my Theta CBIV-A for vibration control and yes, they do improve the sonics as far as I am concerned. Now if someone wants to call me stupid go ahead, I've got a thick skin!

On to other Theta topics? If someone wants to argue this why not bring it up in its own thread.
rhale64L7 and thezaks like this.

post #12747 of 13112 Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree Steve, regarding a separate thread. Discussions in the separate thread could talk about differences in cables, from PC's to interconnects to speaker cables, and even HDMI cables. Could talk about fuses, footers, etc. Some of these items (fuses, power cords, footers, etc) would displace what the manufacturer used. Break in can also be added to that discussion or could even be a separate topic in itself, discussing double blind tests, measurements, subjective listening, placebo effect, etc.

Could be lots of fun for some folks :-)

Dave
rhale64L7 likes this.
post #12748 of 13112 Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Question for the savants. I have a 7.1.4 system. sounds great. I was listening to one of my favorites on Austin City Limits, Nathanial Ratliff and the night Sweat, and I was only getting sound out of the fronts, center and sides. I switched to up mix and the ceilings came on. the rears never woke up.
Is this an issue with my set-up, the Theta or is it impossible to get the up mix to go to 7.1.4? also, why would the sides go on before the rear surrounds?

Thanks,
David

DES
post #12749 of 13112 Old 01-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Was there any Theta CES news? Were they even there? It seems like there was very little high-end audio news coming out of CES. All I've read was non-audio related news. Anything in the rumour mill for 2019?
post #12750 of 13112 Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Amplifier Technologies Inc. had a suite at the Venetian wherein it displayed components from all of it's consumer brands. Selected components from ATI, Theta Digital and Datasat were on display. The only new items were from ATI, their new ATP-16 preamp processor and a 500W monobloc amp using bridged Hypex NC-500 modules with a linear power supply. I spoke with Morris briefly about the ATP-16 which uses a new 1 GHz TI DSP for all processing. I came away from the show believing the new DSP would also find its way into the Casablanca but I don't recall it this was stated explicitly or implicitly

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATP16 new for 2019.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	2512066  
Michael Osadciw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version