The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 426 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1345Likes

post #12751 of 13104 Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Amplifier Technologies Inc. had a suite at the Venetian wherein it displayed components from all of it's consumer brands. Selected components from ATI, Theta Digital and Datasat were on display. The only new items were from ATI, their new ATP-16 preamp processor and a 500W monobloc amp using bridged Hypex NC-500 modules with a linear power supply. I spoke with Morris briefly about the ATP-16 which uses a new 1 GHz TI DSP for all processing. I came away from the show believing the new DSP would also find its way into the Casablanca but I don't recall it this was stated explicitly or implicitly

Jeff
Theta will need a more powerful TI DSP chip for a higher channel count hopefully upcoming Casablanca (V)? So this new TI chip may be it? Also, at last CEDIA Morris of ATI got with the top dogs of ROON to start the process of the next Casablanca becoming ROON Ready. Now how long this will take, given Theta's very slow but very steady history of upgrades to the Casablanca platform, is anyone's guess!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 13104 Old 01-18-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Theta will need a more powerful TI DSP chip for a higher channel count hopefully upcoming Casablanca (V)? So this new TI chip may be it? Also, at last CEDIA Morris of ATI got with the top dogs of ROON to start the process of the next Casablanca becoming ROON Ready. Now how long this will take, given Theta's very slow but very steady history of upgrades to the Casablanca platform, is anyone's guess!
Why not make the G8 Roon ready first ?
That’s make sence to me

In the meantime Steve, you will have to upgrade your Signature SE to the upcoming optical version
Adding the also upcoming Uptone EtherRegen upfront.
post #12753 of 13104 Old 01-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
Why not make the G8 Roon ready first ?
That’s make sence to me

In the meantime Steve, you will have to upgrade your Signature SE to the upcoming optical version
Adding the also upcoming Uptone EtherRegen upfront.
I already have off the shelf optical but found simply putting the Berkley USB Converter on top of the Sonore Signature Rendu SE, at an angle, using a super short Curious USB cable, without the extra optical/fiber media converters and linear power supplies, sounds best! Though I'm sure Sonore's implementation will take this to another level. But my next upgrade in this regard will either be the CB becoming ROON Ready or something else. HA!
However, this is put off for the forseeable future, due to $$ (especially helping with childcare expenses, etc for my new grandson), and my recovering from a recent appendix rupture which can take another few months (drain inserted and removed, IV antiobiotic course done, fup CT scan early March and then schedule appendix removal). As I saw at last CEDIA, the future is ROON Ready DACs, and I emphasized to ATI/Theta this needs to be done ASAP though my emphasis likely has carried no weight - and though I do think the next Casablanca will be ROON Ready, how many years until we get there?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12754 of 13104 Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Amplifier Technologies Inc. had a suite at the Venetian wherein it displayed components from all of it's consumer brands. Selected components from ATI, Theta Digital and Datasat were on display. The only new items were from ATI, their new ATP-16 preamp processor and a 500W monobloc amp using bridged Hypex NC-500 modules with a linear power supply. I spoke with Morris briefly about the ATP-16 which uses a new 1 GHz TI DSP for all processing. I came away from the show believing the new DSP would also find its way into the Casablanca but I don't recall it this was stated explicitly or implicitly
Jeff

Very nice. Key question: ATP-16 = 9+ 1 + 6? If yes and if the cost is in the 10-15k range, this would be a game changer and the de facto recommendation for high-end SSP, IMHO.

Sounds like the result of the recent "acquisition" of engineer extraordinaire David Kerstetter from Datasat. I've always recommended the Datasat LS10 to friends because of its high performance/cost ratio. I hope this would continue the trend. And yes please don't forget Casablanca, the 911 of SSP. ;-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATP16 new for 2019.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	2513394  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 01-20-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #12755 of 13104 Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I already have off the shelf optical but found simply putting the Berkley USB Converter on top of the Sonore Signature Rendu SE, at an angle, using a super short Curious USB cable, without the extra optical/fiber media converters and linear power supplies, sounds best! Though I'm sure Sonore's implementation will take this to another level. But my next upgrade in this regard will either be the CB becoming ROON Ready or something else. HA!
I'm not sure the opticalRendu would be any advantage with something like Trinnov. The theory is that you are isolating the dacs from the computer. However, with Trinnov, you can't escape that because the Trinnov is part computer itself. The onboard i7 of the Trinnov by it's nature will have to generate a lot of noise. Whether it's audible or there are improvements with creating an opticalRendu are separate debates.

I know you are a fan of Small Green Computers. I'd be interested in the company's opinion of a preamp with a built-in computer but I think we both already know. As you say, HA!

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #12756 of 13104 Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I'm not sure the opticalRendu would be any advantage with something like Trinnov. The theory is that you are isolating the dacs from the computer. However, with Trinnov, you can't escape that because the Trinnov is part computer itself. The onboard i7 of the Trinnov by it's nature will have to generate a lot of noise. Whether it's audible or there are improvements with creating an opticalRendu are separate debates.

I know you are a fan of Small Green Computers. I'd be interested in the company's opinion of a preamp with a built-in computer but I think we both already know. As you say, HA!
A preamp SSP with a built-in computer! Like the Casablanca! Or with even a more powerful built-in computer easily web upgradeable with most "tasks" pgorgrammed into onboard computer rather than separate chips and already ROON Ready- Trinnov. No doubt Small Green Computer/Andrew and his often partners Sonore Audio are of the legit camp that the less EMI/electrical noise the better the sonics from an audiophile perspective!

post #12757 of 13104 Old 01-20-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Quote:

I know you are a fan of Small Green Computers. I'd be interested in the company's opinion of a preamp with a built-in computer but I think we both already know. As you say, HA![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
A preamp SSP with a built-in computer! Like the Casablanca! Or with even a more powerful built-in computer easily web upgradeable with most "tasks" pgorgrammed into onboard computer rather than separate chips and already ROON Ready- Trinnov. No doubt Small Green Computer/Andrew and his often partners Sonore Audio are of the legit camp that the less EMI/electrical noise the better the sonics from an audiophile perspective!
No the Casablanca proccessor is not a CPU. Also unlike Trinnov, the Casablanca has shielding between the different boards. Also jitter-jail for hdmi which Trinnov does not have as well. It’s ok if you are cool with the noise and believe it doesn’t make a difference. I am just confused how any improvements can be had if the intention is to separate from a computer when there’s a mother board and cpu onboard. Seems like it’s not possible.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 01-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #12758 of 13104 Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No the Casablanca proccessor is not a CPU. Also unlike Trinnov, the Casablanca has shielding between the different boards. Also jitter-jail for hdmi which Trinnov does not have as well. It’s ok if you are cool with the noise and believe it doesn’t make a difference. I am just confused how any improvements can be had if the intention is to separate from a computer when there’s a mother board and cpu onboard. Seems like it’s not possible.
Even if/when Casablanca does use a "CPU," the chance of a Theta/Datasat product having minimalist power supply, shielding, and analog output stage, etc., is slim to none. This is the difference between high-end audio engineers like ATI's Kerstetter/Reich and a computer "guy" :-). Also part of the reason why SSP's don't sound the same.

While we are on the topic of sound and audio engineering, it's interesting to note Trinnov uses the same DAC chip in their $30k SSP as Theta's most "economical" sound card, the Premium. I only use the Premium for my surround channels.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 01-20-2019 at 11:27 AM.
post #12759 of 13104 Old 01-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Very nice. Key question: ATP-16 = 9+ 1 + 6? If yes and if the cost is in the 10-15k range, this would be a game changer and the de facto recommendation for high-end SSP, IMHO.

Sounds like the result of the recent "acquisition" of engineer extraordinaire David Kerstetter from Datasat. I've always recommended the Datasat LS10 to friends because of its high performance/cost ratio. I hope this would continue the trend. And yes please don't forget Casablanca, the 911 of SSP. ;-)

Sure looks lile Monoprice's $4k SSP is built by ATI:

The Monoprice 16 channel SSP is the 1st picture below, compare to ATI SSP below that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post

post #12760 of 13104 Old 01-22-2019, 07:25 PM

A brand new optical product:

https://www.djmelectronics.com/gigaf...et-filter.html

post #12761 of 13104 Old 01-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I think better purchase the latest Sonore FMC or the new switch from Uptone Audio.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...questions-yet/

The switch is expected to cost around $600
post #12762 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
I think better purchase the latest Sonore FMC or the new switch from Uptone Audio.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...questions-yet/

The switch is expected to cost around $600
What makes you think Sonore or Uptone is better than the DJM Gigafoil? This is the 4th version of the Gigafoid, DJM has been doing this for years, whereas both Sonore and Uptone just got into this.

DJM has a number of different ethernet filters, including one to protect against EMP (electromagnetic pulse):

https://www.djmelectronics.com/emp-ethernet-filter.html

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 01-23-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #12763 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
What makes you think Sonore or Uptone is better than the DJM Gigafoil? This is the 4th version of the Gigafoid, DJM has been doing this for years, whereas both Sonore and Uptone just got into this.

DJM has a number of different ethernet filters, including one to protect against EMP (electromagnetic pulse):

https://www.djmelectronics.com/emp-ethernet-filter.html
Answer is already in that thread now. Page 22.
post #12764 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Uptone's upcoming EtherRegen is a network switch.

Sonore's upcoming FMC (fiber media converter) is just that, a media converter. Supposedly with some advantage since it goes with a Microrendu or Ultrarendu. But in the thread they discuss using an off the shelf media converter but a lower noise board/chip.

Bottom line is Uptone and Sonore have many die hards who every year buy the new product a at a bit higher price point. I have done this some, too. But I think DJM has years of experience with ethernet isolation and with military contracts and for a similar price I'm inclined with DJM. And for now, I can use it between Sonic Transporter i7 direct ethernet connection to Sonore Signature Rendu. And if someday I get a ROON Ready DAC or SSP, I can then use the DJM media coverter to that component!

At some point how much $$ and tweaks does one want to spend. Yea, I was somewhat interested in Uptone's upcoming or SOTM's now available network switch. But recovering and waiting to get my ruptured appendix out, I am getting tired of too much tweaking. The DJM box is a simple solution from a company with years of experience in ethernet isolation. And for ROON, using the DJM box, its questionable that a better network switch before that in the chain will make any discernable difference!

post #12765 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
.....and waiting to get my ruptured appendix out.......
Huh? A ruptured appendix is deadly - I know from 1974, damn near killed me after a few days undetected. I thought they get that out immediately.
post #12766 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Huh? A ruptured appendix is deadly - I know from 1974, damn near killed me after a few days undetected. I thought they get that out immediately.
In my case they put me on antibiotics, inserted a drain, and after 4 days discharged from hospital and then reported to hospital outpatient daily for 2 and 1/2 half weeks for IV antibiotics. Repeat CT scan early March, then hopefully all is well and schedule laparoscopy to remove appendix. I am a lucky one!

post #12767 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
In my case they put me on antibiotics, inserted a drain, and after 4 days discharged from hospital and then reported to hospital outpatient daily for 2 and 1/2 half weeks for IV antibiotics. Repeat CT scan early March, then hopefully all is well and schedule laparoscopy to remove appendix. I am a lucky one!
Well I guess things have advanced a bit since 1974!
post #12768 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Antibiotics have gotten better. Rushing in to a perforated appendix isn't always the right answer...if patient stable and the abscess is amenable to percutaneous drainage then that is a good option...just like what Steve got.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #12769 of 13104 Old 01-23-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Quote:
Antibiotics have gotten better. Rushing in to a perforated appendix isn't always the right answer...if patient stable and the abscess is amenable to percutaneous drainage then that is a good option...just like what Steve got. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Oh and of course image guided percutaneous drainage of the abscess is routine now thanks to current tech which I don't think was available in the 70s. The motto back then was 'when in doubt cut it out'

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #12770 of 13104 Old 01-24-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 511
In 1962 my doc thought I was teething but appendix ruptured with gangrene. Heart stopped on the table.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #12771 of 13104 Old 01-24-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure looks lile Monoprice's $4k SSP is built by ATI:

The Monoprice 16 channel SSP is the 1st picture below, compare to ATI SSP below that:

Thanks Steve. If I am not mistaken the rear looks like it is 9 + 1 + 6 capable! Top front, top rear, top middle make up the 6 top channels. The W must stand for Wide - that's 2 of the 9 ground level channels. In the ATI unit I also see Dirac, Auro, DTS, Atmos - hopefully DTS:X Pro in future? This thing is ticking *all* the boxes.

Extremely nice work by ATI/Datasat. IMHO this is a dirt-cheap game-changer and the de facto recommendation for those not wanting the ultra high-end sound cards of Casablanca, or the 30k price tag of Trinnov, etc. I don't really care for more than 7.1.4 but this also means it might just be a matter of time before we see this capability in Theta Casablanca and Datasat products.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 01-24-2019 at 11:10 PM.
post #12772 of 13104 Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, the 3 permutations I could see with the Monoprice, judging from the labeling of the XLR outputs:
9-1-6
7-3-6
9-3-4

I assume the extra subwoofer outputs would allow owner to run 2 separate subwoofers say for the 2 main L&R speakers, then 1 more for the LFE channel?

Oddly the positions of the power cord plugs are on opposite side for ATI vs Monoprice, and some input/output positions are also different, implying internals are different between ATI and Monoprice?

Both have USB audio in, something that current Casablanca does not have. Not sure how this internal USB board would compare versus a stand-alone unit from Berkeley Audio etc., as far as jitter is concerned. This might also mean USB audio is very much doable for Casablanca.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 01-26-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #12773 of 13104 Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM

New ATI SSP at Bristol Audio Show:

https://www.bristolshow.co.uk/news_d....#.XFyLtFxKhPY
cannga and Boonyarat like this.

post #12774 of 13104 Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Probably will also be marketed as Datasat LS10 Mark II? Very similar chassis to LS10, except now 9.1.6 capable. Clearly the work of Datasat's David Kerstetter (great news).

Hopefully Dirac would be (had better be, welcome to 21st century ) user-"programmable." If kept below 10k and released in a timely manner, this ATI is going to be the de facto recommendation for this price range.

Anyone knows of a release date?

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 02-09-2019 at 10:58 AM.
post #12775 of 13104 Old 03-04-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been playing with various shapes for the target curves in Dirac: changing the default low frequency up-tilt of the curve (in my Casablanca/system, default target curve raises bass by about 2 dB - you could decrease this raise if your system sounds bass heavy), limiting the range of correction to sub-Shroeder frequency (around 300 Hz in most residential rooms), and creating 12 dB slope at the crossover frequency (12 dB drop per octave starting at 80 Hz for example, for surround speakers).

The result has been both fun and illuminating, although somewhat a pain in the derriere as you have to follow instructions closely. Amazing how much the sound changes with every alteration and I would highly recommend to try if you have not done so. If you have questions, I might be able to help since I have suffered so much going through the process LOL.

I absolutely LOVE the Casablanca's ability to allow users to adjust target curves, but again it would be great if Theta could somehow allow two target curves :-) in the Casablanca, even if it means extra cost. Much of room correction experimentation is subjective, and the ability to compare and contrast on the fly is critical. All IMHO of course .

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 03-04-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #12776 of 13104 Old 03-06-2019, 02:44 PM

My Theta Digital contact advises that re the new CBV, as Morris told me at last CEDIA, still waiting for Texas Instruments to come out with a new 18 channel chip powerful enought for 96-24 DSP/Dirac for all 18 channels - card's not ready yet, they were hoping for it by end of last year, now they think but can't promise it will be available this year. And same for new version of Dirac, waiting on vendor/Dirac to provide the new version to be used for CBV. ROON Ready Ethernet has been proceeding nicely and should soon start testing. Regarding the Generation VIII Series 3 DAC, Theta is waiting for a new "super" chip that provided even better sound to noise ratio, Theta has not been satisfied with a number of existing chips they have tested. We need to remember that ATI/Theta Digital is high end and waiting on vendors to give us the best upgraded/new versions of the Casablanca platform (and the Gen VIII DAC, too)!

Also, ATI does not manufacture the Monoprice SSP, another California vendor that does some work with Theta is manufacturing the Monoprice SSP, and apparently that product is still in development and not yet ready for prime time. ATI is of course working on its own relatively "low price" SSP which uses an existing new Texas Instruments DSP chip which of course will not have the processing power of what Theta requires for the CBV. Its possible but not determined whether the ATI SSP will be ROON Ready - keep in mind that even expensive receivers are not ROON Ready, as this does add to the cost. But the CBV is hard at work on being ROON Ready and I did politely tell Morris at last CEDIA that it better be. HA!

post #12777 of 13104 Old 03-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Probably will also be marketed as Datasat LS10 Mark II? Very similar chassis to LS10, except now 9.1.6 capable. Clearly the work of Datasat's David Kerstetter (great news).

Hopefully Dirac would be (had better be, welcome to 21st century ) user-"programmable." If kept below 10k and released in a timely manner, this ATI is going to be the de facto recommendation for this price range.

Anyone knows of a release date?
Per my Theta/ATI source, Datasat is still moving manufacturing over to ATI's facility. This explains why several Datasat owners here at AVS do not get contacted back when they attempt to contact tech support. Datasat has their own tech support that is not shared with Theta Digital. Keep in mind in the past, pre-ATI, Datasat outsourced their manufacturing, now ATI is preparing to take this over. It took it seems like a few years for ATI to move Theta Digital manufacturing in house, so I wouldn't speculate on when new Datasat models will be available.

post #12778 of 13104 Old 03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Also, ATI does not manufacture the Monoprice SSP, another California vendor that does some work with Theta is manufacturing the Monoprice SSP, and apparently that product is still in development and not yet ready for prime time.

^^^
My ATI guy states they do make it but the insides are different. They can’t disclose the differences due to NDA with Monoprice.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #12779 of 13104 Old 03-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Glad to hear a new superchip is being planned for the GenVIII!! I'm glad I held onto my four GenVIIIs3 using the digital out card. Even though there's a bit of an equal playing field at the moment between Gen8 DAC and CB4XtremeD3, I'm anticipating this superchip! Thanks for the great news!!
post #12780 of 13104 Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Also, ATI does not manufacture the Monoprice SSP, another California vendor that does some work with Theta is manufacturing the Monoprice SSP, and apparently that product is still in development and not yet ready for prime time.

^^^
My ATI guy states they do make it but the insides are different. They can’t disclose the differences due to NDA with Monoprice.
My ATI guy says one of their vendors is manufacturing it for Monoprice, and that they are assisting and vendors that work with each other sometimes do, but that ATI is not manufacturing the Monoprice SSP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page