The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 427 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1307Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12781 of 12955 Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
Glad to hear a new superchip is being planned for the GenVIII!! I'm glad I held onto my four GenVIIIs3 using the digital out card. Even though there's a bit of an equal playing field at the moment between Gen8 DAC and CB4XtremeD3, I'm anticipating this superchip! Thanks for the great news!!
However, the Gen VIII project is on hold now, until the superchip becomes available, bottom line is a new superchip has to meet Theta's specs and have as good or better signal to noise ratio than the current chip.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12782 of 12955 Old 03-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael Osadciw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Serving GTA & Southern Ontario
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Even though I haven't been a Theta owner as long as many others in here, I do know that patience is part of the ownership package. ...and when the package is delivered, it never disappoints!
Bulldogger likes this.
Michael Osadciw is online now  
post #12783 of 12955 Old 03-08-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
! I'm glad I held onto my four GenVIIIs3 using the digital out card. Even though there's a bit of an equal playing field at the moment between Gen8 DAC and CB4XtremeD3, I'm anticipating this superchip! Thanks for the great news!!
I haven't been able to find anyone with Xtreme D3 dacs and a Gen VIII that agrees. Every person I have asked, strongly disagrees that the Xtreme D-3 are "as good as or better than the Gen VIII." Steve had sold his Gen VIII I believe a few weeks before the Xtreme D3 arrived so didn't do a direct comparison. Some guys currenty have both the Gen VIII and Xtreme D3 on hand or have had them both concurrently. All of those guys say the Gen VIII is better. I'm waiting for a 7th person to report his observations. I think he will chime in here.

One person that has a CB3HD wasn't able to hear a benefit with the Gen VIII. This person only used the Gen VIII for movies and all digital was sourced over HDMI.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12784 of 12955 Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael Osadciw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Serving GTA & Southern Ontario
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I haven't been able to find anyone with Xtreme D3 dacs and a Gen VIII that agrees. Every person I have asked, strongly disagrees that the Xtreme D-3 are "as good as or better than the Gen VIII." Steve had sold his Gen VIII I believe a few weeks before the Xtreme D3 arrived so didn't do a direct comparison. Some guys currenty have both the Gen VIII and Xtreme D3 on hand or have had them both concurrently. All of those guys say the Gen VIII is better. I'm waiting for a 7th person to report his observations. I think he will chime in here.

One person that has a CB3HD wasn't able to hear a benefit with the Gen VIII. This person only used the Gen VIII for movies and all digital was sourced over HDMI.
Hey Bulldogger, I actually haven't heard a D3 for CB4. I have D2 in my CB4 and the GenVIIIs3 on my digital out card is much better. It's also significantly better with music directly from my Ayre transport through AES/EBU when compared to going though the CB4 AES/EBU connection first, and then through the digital out to the GenVIII. If Theta could somehow make that process just as transparent as going directly into a Gen8, I wouldn't feel so bad listening to music through my CB4/Gen8 stack.

I was just making the assumption that the gap was narrowing because of some comments that were made on this thread at one point. I don't read each post but maybe I missed comments about the Gen8 remaining superior. If that's the case, that's great! There was a brief period of time where I was contemplating selling them off...but I thought they just look too darn cool on my rack and even better that they sound just too good to let go of. But some people were saying "why keep more black boxes on your shelf when you can have it all on a D3 card?" Others spoke of doom and gloom of the end of the Gen8 ans stereo audio for Theta...but I just didn't want to believe it. The Gen8 is far too good (and beautiful) of a machine to end production. As DAC tech and all the in-betweens continue to improve, I thought there's got to be a step forward from here. I'm extremely happy I hung on! I'll listen with confidence tonight
Michael Osadciw is online now  
post #12785 of 12955 Old 03-09-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My Theta Digital contact advises that re the new CBV, as Morris told me at last CEDIA, still waiting for Texas Instruments to come out with a new 18 channel chip powerful enought for 96-24 DSP/Dirac for all 18 channels - card's not ready yet, they were hoping for it by end of last year, now they think but can't promise it will be available this year. And same for new version of Dirac, waiting on vendor/Dirac to provide the new version to be used for CBV. ...

Also, ATI does not manufacture the Monoprice SSP, another California vendor that does some work with Theta is manufacturing the Monoprice SSP, and apparently that product is still in development and not yet ready for prime time. ATI is of course working on its own relatively "low price" SSP which uses an existing new Texas Instruments DSP chip which of course will not have the processing power of what Theta requires for the CBV....


Good info Steve; keep it coming - whatever Casablanca news you find is interesting to read.

CBV, as in, CB FIVE upgrade to CBIVa? 18 channels? 9.3.6 would be very nice for people with separate subwoofer for main L&R. I am **so** glad I went with Casablanca - has saved me a chunk of money.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12786 of 12955 Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
There was a brief period of time where I was contemplating selling them off...but I thought they just look too darn cool on my rack and even better that they sound just too good to let go of. But some people were saying "why keep more black boxes on your shelf when you can have it all on a D3 card?" Others spoke of doom and gloom of the end of the Gen8 ans stereo audio for Theta...but I just didn't want to believe it. The Gen8 is far too good (and beautiful) of a machine to end production. As DAC tech and all the in-betweens continue to improve, I thought there's got to be a step forward from here. I'm extremely happy I hung on! I'll listen with confidence tonight
Agreed 100%. Too da** cool to let go.
"Life is short" etc., (an excuse I use more and more often as I get older).
Michael Osadciw likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12787 of 12955 Old 03-09-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Also, ATI does not manufacture the Monoprice SSP, another California vendor that does some work with Theta is manufacturing the Monoprice SSP, and apparently that product is still in development and not yet ready for prime time.

^^^
My ATI guy states they do make it but the insides are different. They can’t disclose the differences due to NDA with Monoprice.

Interesting. Either way, it does seem from pics of the back panel the ATI 16 is a Datasat LS10 with new internals? For the fun of speculation, I would say ATP 16 is in fact Datasat LS10 Mark II.



Back of ATI 16




Back of Datasat LS10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Datasat LS10.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	2536650  
Bulldogger likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #12788 of 12955 Old 03-09-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,961
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Maybe it’s Cullen Circuits that use to (maybe they still do?) manufacturer PS Audio

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is online now  
post #12789 of 12955 Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Maybe it’s Cullen Circuits that use to (maybe they still do?) manufacturer PS Audio
I think you're "warm" on this one. Shouldn't affect end users but interesting discussion nevertheless. So it "sounds" like Datasat support and production is moving from Cullen back to ATI?

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/psaudio6/cullen.html
Cullen has also subcontracted for other well-known audio firms such as Camelot, Amplifier Technologies (ATI), James Bongiorno's Ampzilla, Arnie Nudell's Infinity and Genesis Technologies. Cullen also offers his own line of attractively priced ICE powered amps under the Wyred4Sound brand.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CullenCircuitsbuilding.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2536964  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12790 of 12955 Old 03-11-2019, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Maybe it’s Cullen Circuits that use to (maybe they still do?) manufacturer PS Audio
I believe it’s a S Cal company that is a vendor for ATI

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #12791 of 12955 Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
Hey Bulldogger, I actually haven't heard a D3 for CB4. I have D2 in my CB4 and the GenVIIIs3 on my digital out card is much better. It's also significantly better with music directly from my Ayre transport through AES/EBU when compared to going though the CB4 AES/EBU connection first, and then through the digital out to the GenVIII. If Theta could somehow make that process just as transparent as going directly into a Gen8, I wouldn't feel so bad listening to music through my CB4/Gen8 stack.

I was just making the assumption that the gap was narrowing because of some comments that were made on this thread at one point. I don't read each post but maybe I missed comments about the Gen8 remaining superior. If that's the case, that's great! There was a brief period of time where I was contemplating selling them off...but I thought they just look too darn cool on my rack and even better that they sound just too good to let go of. But some people were saying "why keep more black boxes on your shelf when you can have it all on a D3 card?" Others spoke of doom and gloom of the end of the Gen8 ans stereo audio for Theta...but I just didn't want to believe it. The Gen8 is far too good (and beautiful) of a machine to end production. As DAC tech and all the in-betweens continue to improve, I thought there's got to be a step forward from here. I'm extremely happy I hung on! I'll listen with confidence tonight [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]
Theta has certainly narrowed the gap with the Xtreme D-3. I don't know anyone who isn't satisfied with the performance of the Xtreme D-3. Most however, have just said the Gen VIII still holds a noticeable advantage. If the Casablanca is the only source, the difference is there but not as great. Those who have other sources straight into the Gen VIII, like your Ayre transport, hear the largest differences. That accounts for some of the difference in opinion about the level of the difference between the Gen VIII and Xtreme D-3. I use Dirac Live on my server and a Berkeley Alpha USB AES/EBU connection straight into the Gen VIII.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 03-13-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #12792 of 12955 Old 03-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
dweltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My Theta Digital contact advises that re the new CBV, as Morris told me at last CEDIA, still waiting for Texas Instruments to come out with a new 18 channel chip powerful enought for 96-24 DSP/Dirac for all 18 channels - card's not ready yet, they were hoping for it by end of last year, now they think but can't promise it will be available this year. And same for new version of Dirac, waiting on vendor/Dirac to provide the new version to be used for CBV. ROON Ready Ethernet has been proceeding nicely and should soon start testing. Regarding the Generation VIII Series 3 DAC, Theta is waiting for a new "super" chip that provided even better sound to noise ratio, Theta has not been satisfied with a number of existing chips they have tested. We need to remember that ATI/Theta Digital is high end and waiting on vendors to give us the best upgraded/new versions of the Casablanca platform (and the Gen VIII DAC, too)!
I am sure you folks are tired of this question, but if you use Dirac which runs at 48 like all current pre-pro room correction software, are you really getting the utility out of the D3 card that you are paying for by upgrading the output card from any earlier generation?
Also I thought the CBV was going to be in a competely new box/design, rather than the latest upgrade to the current platform? Am I wrong about that?
dweltman is offline  
post #12793 of 12955 Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post
I am sure you folks are tired of this question, but if you use Dirac which runs at 48 like all current pre-pro room correction software, are you really getting the utility out of the D3 card that you are paying for by upgrading the output card from any earlier generation?
Also I thought the CBV was going to be in a competely new box/design, rather than the latest upgrade to the current platform? Am I wrong about that?
Seems up are wrong. The CBIV-A SSP internal processing is 96-24! Dirac is applied to this 96-24 internal processing has always been my understanding. Note the prior CBIV SSP (first CB with Dirac) also is 96-24 internal processing but the CBIIIHD is 48-24 internal processing.
There was talk some years ago of the CBV being a new box, but that was before the D3 DAC chip with 6 channels as opposed to the previous top dog DAC chip the D2 which only had 4 channels - thus with Theta's latest DAC chips with 6 channels per DAC card and 3 DAC cards per SSP Theta can fit 18 channels into the upcoming CBV SSP once Texas Instruments has available (hopefully by late this year?) a new 18 channel 96-24 DSP chip!
cannga likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #12794 of 12955 Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Senior Member
 
dweltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you heard the P3 card or know how it compares to the D3? I am deciding between an Xtreme D3, a P3, or 2 Xtreme D2's.

Last edited by dweltman; 03-15-2019 at 11:28 AM.
dweltman is offline  
post #12795 of 12955 Old 03-16-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post
Have you heard the P3 card or know how it compares to the D3? I am deciding between an Xtreme D3, a P3, or 2 Xtreme D2's.
I have all 3 cards in my Casablanca. Have triple blind compared Xtreme D2 vs Premium P3 and the answer is: NOT even close between Xtreme and Premium. Xtreme D2 has 3 dimensional soundfield, pinpoint focused voice in black background, tighter bass. Difference between a good DAC and an average DAC. I would rank the cards thus, IMHO:

Xtreme D3: The very best using same Burr Brown/TI DAC chip as Theta Gen 8 stand-alone DAC, and as of now, the only card that could do height channels (@ Steve Bruzonsky or anyone pls correct me as needed).
Xtreme D2: Next best. Outstanding for most important channels LCR and subwoof. But... only has 4 channels so if you want to do Atmos/DTS:X 9.1.6 in the future (I don't), don't get this.
Premium: Preferably for height and surround only. I don't think this card could do height yet, but it should hopefully in the future.

In summary and IMHO, for the important LCRS channels, go for Xtreme D3 and D2. For the less important surround and height channels, Premium should be Ok, and use Xtreme if you have $ to spare. I would recommend NOT to use Premium particularly for Left and Right channel. In my own Casablanca IVa with 7.1.4 configuration:
Xtreme D3: 4 height channels (I know, too much $ for height - would have preferred Premium)
Xtreme D2: LCRS (original card from my first CB IIIHD)
Premium: 4 surrounds (card from my CB IIIHD)

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-16-2019 at 01:05 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #12796 of 12955 Old 03-16-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Some examples from my Dirac manipulation. Although Dirac is an objective correction, the final result is very much dominated by subjective evaluation. How you instruct Dirac to do the target curve has major influence on the sound. IOW, it's very much personal preference: my example is not the correct answer per se; it is merely one of the choices (although one done with hopefully some degree of logic ).


Default Dirac Correction of my Center Channel:
Full range 20Hz-20 KHz correction
Note 2 dB raise in the low frequency (because "corrected" bass could sound thin without this raise)






My alteration:
Sub Shroeder correction only (300-400 Hz in most residential rooms)
12 dB/octave drop at crossover frequency of 50 Hz (recommended for all non-full-range speakers, per Theta)
Reduce bass tilt to 1 dB from default 2 dB (2dB sounds too warm in my system)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center400Hz12dBdropIMG_2374.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2540026   Click image for larger version

Name:	CenterAutoDiracIMG_2333.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2540028  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-16-2019 at 05:07 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #12797 of 12955 Old 03-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
dweltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I have all 3 cards in my Casablanca. Have triple blind compared Xtreme D2 vs Premium P3 and the answer is: NOT even close between Xtreme and Premium. Xtreme D2 has 3 dimensional soundfield, pinpoint focused voice in black background, tighter bass. Difference between a good DAC and an average DAC. I would rank the cards thus, IMHO:

Xtreme D3: The very best using same Burr Brown/TI DAC chip as Theta Gen 8 stand-alone DAC, and as of now, the only card that could do height channels (@ Steve Bruzonsky or anyone pls correct me as needed).
Xtreme D2: Next best. Outstanding for most important channels LCR and subwoof. But... only has 4 channels so if you want to do Atmos/DTS:X 9.1.6 in the future (I don't), don't get this.
Premium: Preferably for height and surround only. I don't think this card could do height yet, but it should hopefully in the future.

In summary and IMHO, for the important LCRS channels, go for Xtreme D3 and D2. For the less important surround and height channels, Premium should be Ok, and use Xtreme if you have $ to spare. I would recommend NOT to use Premium particularly for Left and Right channel. In my own Casablanca IVa with 7.1.4 configuration:
Xtreme D3: 4 height channels (I know, too much $ for height - would have preferred Premium)
Xtreme D2: LCRS (original card from my first CB IIIHD)
Premium: 4 surrounds (card from my CB IIIHD)
This was very helpful, thank you. So I have to decide whether I will pay extra price for the D3 over the D2.
dweltman is offline  
post #12798 of 12955 Old 03-17-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
While we are on the topic of sound and audio engineering, it's interesting to note Trinnov uses the same DAC chip in their $30k SSP as Theta's most "economical" sound card, the Premium. I only use the Premium for my surround channels.
Trinnov does a lot of "custom work," with at least some of its users. They can remotely access your room correction and look at the measurements you have taken are sufficient. Then, they are able to tweak your curves. Theta dominates them on the hardware side, but the converse is also true. Trinnov dominates Theta on the software side.


I'm certain that Theta will switch to the newer version of Dirac live. The newer version has modules. Dirac says the first will be a bass module. https://www.dirac.com/news/dirac-liv...gement-ces2019

Theta needed more presets for Dirac live in it's current version as you have stated. At least 3 for various locations that are frequently used.

Steve's thread on hearing lost and hearing aids spurred some thoughts as well. We are all aging. Wouldn't it be great if room correction could incorporate the results of one's hearing test? Right now, you can add a microphone calibration file. I don't know how complicated it would be to format the results of ones hearing test into a secondary file, like the microphone file, for your room correction software. That would allow a person, to have several presets. One for when listening alone and adjusted for an individual hearing profile, and at least 2 more for various positions the primary user might frequently use also corrected for one's hearing profile.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #12799 of 12955 Old 03-17-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post
This was very helpful, thank you. So I have to decide whether I will pay extra price for the D3 over the D2.
I should note that there are various permutations such that a Xtreme D3 system **might** not be too expensive, only because it requires less number of cards. In other words choice 1 below **MIGHT** just be close in cost to choice 2. One key consideration is whether Premium could now do height channels. Another is, of course, how cheap you could get a used D2. My dealer (@VGI on this forum) would be a good source as far as street pricing comparison.

1. 2 cards (6 channels each)
Xtreme D3 x 6 channels
Premium x 6 channels
2. 3 cards (4 channels each)
Xtreme D2 x 4 channels
Xtreme D2 X 4 channels
Premium x 4 channels

Especially if you are into music and 2 channel stereo, an Xtreme Casablanca is IMHO the very best sound available nowadays, and for many years to come. Basic principles for good sound:
a. beefy and clean power supply,
b. great DAC section,
c. great analog output stage.
No one is crazy enough to make such an elaborate SSP in this day and age anymore.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-17-2019 at 03:32 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #12800 of 12955 Old 03-17-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Some examples from my Dirac manipulation. Although Dirac is an objective correction, the final result is very much dominated by subjective evaluation. How you instruct Dirac to do the target curve has major influence on the sound. IOW, it's very much personal preference: my example is not the correct answer per se; it is merely one of the choices (although one done with hopefully some degree of logic :-).
Allow me to add that just because the target curve (basically an equalizer) has major influence on sound, does NOT mean that you could ignore basically principles of good sound and throw in a badly designed DAC with hope that Dirac would make into a Theta Gen VIII ;-). This is because of the garbage-in garbage-out tenet .

Garbage + Dirac = Dirac'ed garbage
Good sound + Dirac = Dirac'ed good sound

Put it another way, the influence of the target equalizer curve of room correction is not going to turn a receiver into a Casablanca. A cheap table radio into a $10k speakers, etc. As always, all IMHO.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12801 of 12955 Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I should note that there are various permutations such that a Xtreme D3 system **might** not be too expensive, only because it requires less number of cards. In other words choice 1 below **MIGHT** just be close in cost to choice 2. One key consideration is whether Premium could now do height channels. Another is, of course, how cheap you could get a used D2. My dealer (@VGI on this forum) would be a good source as far as street pricing comparison.

1. 2 cards (6 channels each)
Xtreme D3 x 6 channels
Premium x 6 channels
2. 3 cards (4 channels each)
Xtreme D2 x 4 channels
Xtreme D2 X 4 channels
Premium x 4 channels
Reporting some good news for late adopters of CBIVa: Per John Baloff the latest Premium card has 6 channels, and indeed could do height channels. For example, one of the Premium's channel configurations is LS,RS, T1L,T1R,T2L, and T2R.

So for 7.1.4, a 2 card system, Xtreme D3 + Premium, would suffice.

Finally, long term report: this final version of Casablanca is better and more stable than any other version I've had for the last 8 years or so. I'm a happy camper .

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12802 of 12955 Old 03-19-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Wouldn't it be great if room correction could incorporate the results of one's hearing test? Right now, you can add a microphone calibration file. I don't know how complicated it would be to format the results of ones hearing test into a secondary file, like the microphone file, for your room correction software. That would allow a person, to have several presets. One for when listening alone and adjusted for an individual hearing profile, and at least 2 more for various positions the primary user might frequently use also corrected for one's hearing profile.
I had to use hearing aid for a brief period of time a few years ago. So I am one of the few people that went from normal hearing, to hearing aid, and back to normal hearing again. Hearing aid is great and indispensable for what it does, but compared to natural hearing, in my case, there were problems. Complicated topic but primarily and simply, it sounds distinctly different from normal hearing. They are tiny speakers trying to reproduce the tremendous complexity of natural sound and natural hearing.

I am fortunate enough to have had AB comparison when it comes to hearing aid, and the best analogy I could think of is, IMHO, like many things in medicine, it's very tough to duplicate various functions of the healthy human being (back surgery, pacemaker, etc.).

Interesting topic. I was thankful for the hearing aid that I had, but felt blessed that I regained normal hearing. What you are proposing are many years, or centuries , off from being perfect.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-19-2019 at 02:21 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #12803 of 12955 Old 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I had to use hearing aid for a brief period of time a few years ago. So I am one of the few people that went from normal hearing, to hearing aid, and back to normal hearing again. Hearing aid is great and indispensable for what it does, but compared to natural hearing, in my case, there were problems. Complicated topic but primarily and simply, it sounds distinctly different from normal hearing. They are tiny speakers trying to reproduce the tremendous complexity of natural sound and natural hearing.

I am fortunate enough to have had AB comparison when it comes to hearing aid, and the best analogy I could think of is, IMHO, like many things in medicine, it's very tough to duplicate various functions of the healthy human being (back surgery, pacemaker, etc.).

Interesting topic. I was thankful for the hearing aid that I had, but felt blessed that I regained normal hearing. What you are proposing are many years, or centuries , off from being perfect.
And I demod three brands of hearing aids last few months of the year, liking the Phonaks, but I swear my hearing is really good now, and test tones show I can hear now 10kHz and 12.5KHz where I could barely hear before. That burst appendix late Dec and IV antibiotics seem to have killed off a lingering infection that I was tolerating well for many months, as based on symptom history we think the appendix actually burst (tiny hole) many months ago after putting back up my component racks and front end components after having taken it all down! Next week I get my hearing retested so it should be interesting, and I anticipate I will find much better hearing than my test last November. I have noted these past two months how my hearing seems much better particularly dynamics! So you are not the ONLY ONE!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #12804 of 12955 Old 03-19-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
^^^Regaining hearing would indeed be great news! Wow you've been through a lot lately; best wishes for your health.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12805 of 12955 Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
^^^Regaining hearing would indeed be great news! Wow you've been through a lot lately; best wishes for your health.
I am all better. CT scan abdomen March 1st all clear. Don't need appendix out, leave in unless remote chance I have any symptoms. I feel better than ever!
appelz and thezaks like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #12806 of 12955 Old 03-23-2019, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Boonyarat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My upgrade CB IVa , 2 XTREME D2 dac plus 1 XTREME D3 ( 4 Channels ) dac and 4K HDR HDMI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4321.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2543172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	2543174  
Bulldogger likes this.
Boonyarat is online now  
post #12807 of 12955 Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
IInteresting topic. I was thankful for the hearing aid that I had, but felt blessed that I regained normal hearing. What you are proposing are many years, or centuries , off from being perfect.
I'm just proposing that one can use the room correction adjustments to equalize the audio in areas where there is hearing loss. A microphone calibration file, in used in room correction as you know, to correct for the microphone errors. I'm suggesting that measurements from ones hearing test could be incorporated in room correction settings. There could be a preset, that is adjusted to have the audio system, not a hearing aid, correct for areas of hearing loss. I'm not proposing the use of the hearing aid at all. I realize hearing loss can be so severe that it would not be possible for the audio system to correct for the loss without possible speaker damage.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #12808 of 12955 Old 03-24-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,739
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I'm just proposing that one can use the room correction adjustments to equalize the audio in areas where there is hearing loss. A microphone calibration file, in used in room correction as you know, to correct for the microphone errors. I'm suggesting that measurements from ones hearing test could be incorporated in room correction settings. There could be a preset, that is adjusted to have the audio system, not a hearing aid, correct for areas of hearing loss. I'm not proposing the use of the hearing aid at all. I realize hearing loss can be so severe that it would not be possible for the audio system to correct for the loss without possible speaker damage.
You can obtain a printout of your hearing test wherever its done, Audiologist, Costco, etc. At least with Dirac, Trinnov, probably some other room correction, you can yourself program the room correction curve at least for amplitude/frequency to roughly match your own hearing test if you like and "see" what you hear. Of course, the Casablanca only has one Dirac filter you can load, but you could set up more filters say in your laptop like I had done and load a filter manually depending upon whether only you are listening or whether others are also in the room with you. Again one must be careful, easy to blow tweeters as that's where most hearing loss occurs (I should know - that is - about blowing tweeters)!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #12809 of 12955 Old 03-24-2019, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Can one add a second AES input card to the CB?

Love this thread, always a wealth of knowledge and info here. Question for anyone who may know- Is it possible to add a 2nd AES/EBU BNC Digital Input Module Card? I'd like to have a second AES input - Looking at the Theta Training Manual slot layout for the CB, it shows 2 slots avail for digital input cards. I have one AES module card inserted on the Aux digital input slot, and the main digital input slot is open. I'm hoping a second AES card can be added here, and its inputs available in the CB setup menu.

Reference: https://thetadigital.com/downloads/T...g%20Manual.pdf -page 3

for the specific AES card, I am referring to card labeled F4 on page 4 of the training manual. I have a main digital input card installed in the aux input slot, like this one: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...p;d=1553352124

and would like to add the second F4 card on the main digital input slot. or maybe I have to switch them in the slots?

CBIV btw.

TIA!

Last edited by HG Mills; 03-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.
HG Mills is offline  
post #12810 of 12955 Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
one other question- anyone know if/when the CB platform will get Ethernet IP-based control capability? Is it on the roadmap at all?
HG Mills is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off