The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 430 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1307Likes

post #12871 of 12963 Old 04-15-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I was reading through the Theta thread and the ill words between Bulldogger and Steve (and I thought I was always the catalyst )?!

The odd thing about the disagreement was that the Theta, like almost every other SSP on the market is constrained to 12 - 14 speakers. If you want to double that (or more), the Theta isn't even an option?! So regardless of whether it is a PC or a solid state SSP, it's immaterial.

Steve B's configuration is impossible in the Theta. So I see no reason to argue.

Most guys in that thread have had their same or upgraded units for 20 years or more... It's all they know - so, they believe nothing better exists and you'll never move them. Like yelling at a wall.

Both are good sounding - just completely different applications.
That may be true, but soon enough, DSP/SHARC based processors will offer higher speaker count options. Then decisions get a bit more difficult. For now, Trinnov sits alone on high count speaker processors available. Storm appears to be a hybrid option.... high speaker count, but highly matrixed. Soon higher counts will come with more discrete ability, which is why I think a continued discussion will be enlightening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 12963 Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
That may be true, but soon enough, DSP/SHARC based processors will offer higher speaker count options. Then decisions get a bit more difficult. For now, Trinnov sits alone on high count speaker processors available. Storm appears to be a hybrid option.... high speaker count, but highly matrixed. Soon higher counts will come with more discrete ability, which is why I think a continued discussion will be enlightening.
Perhaps true. But this is about the here and now.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #12873 of 12963 Old 04-15-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Perhaps true. But this is about the here and now.
Correct, but the new thread is for those looking towards the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12874 of 12963 Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Correct, but the new thread is for those looking towards the future.
I actually, thought I had posted there. I'll move my post over and delete it out here.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #12875 of 12963 Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Sorry, but I'm not getting it. I truly don't understand what is bugging Bulldogger?? What is this "truth", etc? I'm just not seeing it.

Dave
post #12876 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked: 3336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Audioguy made the equal build quality claim.
Please do NOT misquote me --- again.

Here is what "audioguy" stated:
Quote:
"Where the Trinnov wins hands down, is upgrade flexibility (hardware and firmware) and handling larger speakers counts."
Where is the reference to "build quality"? I never said it nor ever implied it and that you would misquote is so typical. I owned a Casablanca through 3 generations (I,II,III) and I know they are built like tanks

By hardware upgradability, I was referring to that fact, that unlike any processor currently on the market, the Trinnov can be upgraded from 8 to 48 channels. No, you can't swap out DACs whenever the urge strikes. So maybe I should have used the word "expansion" vs "upgrade flexibility" but there is a good chance you would not have liked that either !!

I have no issues with the Casablanca for a 7.x.4 system. I am sure it sounds excellent. If that is what I already owned and I was 100% sure I would NEVER want to expand to a much higher speaker count, I would have no reason to consider selling it. I have said the exact same thing to Datasat owners as well. If, however, I were starting from scratch, neither a Datasat nor CB would be on the list.

I previously said I would no longer post in this tread but if you are going to continue to so blatantly misquote what I say, I will continue to respond.
post #12877 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Sorry, but I'm not getting it. I truly don't understand what is bugging Bulldogger?? What is this "truth", etc? I'm just not seeing it.

Dave
Marketing. We come here to try to get honest opinions about end users experiences. That’s not what’s happening. Two parties are working to make sales. If I were a dealer for a certain brand, you’d want to know that right? If were receiving a financial incentive to make favorable statement, true or not, would you want to know that. Personally I like transparent discussion. The whole thing about the Xtreme D-3 dacs being better than the Gen 8 was pretty much not true. It was designed to boost sales. Were guys “stupid” for believing what was posted? No. Some were trusting. Trust was misplaced. Again some may not be offended or see this as a moral issue at all.

I’ve been offered gear at dealer cost to make favorable comments. Are you “good” with that? Maybe there is nothing wrong with this? Once I took the gear. Damn thing broke a lot and I wasn’t shy about saying so. Guess who “set me up,” with that deal.The last time I was offered gear in such a manner, I refused. I’m too idealistic. I just can not sell my freedom of speech.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 04-16-2019 at 02:53 AM.
post #12878 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Quote:
Audioguy made the equal build quality claim.

I have no issues with the Casablanca for a 7.x.4 system. I am sure it sounds excellent. .
Be transparent. What was the issue that you had with Theta during your ownership? That sparked you to make so many negative comments over the years. I’ll see if I can dig it up. The Bland was angered many years ago because he wanted Theta processor in exchange for marketing help. I honestly think it may have been a good deal for Theta, the marketing help at the time. We need transparency. Show your axes.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 04-16-2019 at 02:58 AM.
post #12879 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked: 3336
Quote:
Be transparent. What was the issue that you had with Theta during your ownership? That sparked you to make so many negative comments over the years. I’ll see if I can dig it up. The Bland was angered many years ago because he wanted Theta processor in exchange for marketing help. We need transparency. Show your axes.
Here we go again. I moved on form the Theta because other processors offered quicker response to changes in the market place - I may be mistaken, but HDMI comes to mind as does room correction. If you think that when I say the Theta can't do what another processor can is a negative comment about Theta .......? So if I say I think a Porche is a better car than a Lexus, I am bad mouthing Lexus. Really?

Here is the very best way I can conclude this ludicrous discussion.

"Never become so involved with something that it blinds you"
ss9001 likes this.
post #12880 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Quote:
Be transparent. What was the issue that you had with Theta during your ownership? That sparked you to make so many negative comments over the years. I’ll see if I can dig it up. The Bland was angered many years ago because he wanted Theta processor in exchange for marketing help. We need transparency. Show your axes.
Here we go again. I moved on form the Theta because other processors offered quicker response to changes in the market place - I may be mistaken, but HDMI comes to mind as does room correction. If you think that when I say the Theta can't do what another processor can is a negative comment about Theta .......? So if I say I think a Porche is a better car than a Lexus, I am bad mouthing Lexus. Really?

Here is the very best way I can conclude this ludicrous discussion.

"Never become so involved with something that it blinds you"
My signature is a good quote. Move on if you are not interested in Theta. I’ll look for your old post.

I’ve threatened to sue Theta. Can’t remember if that’s on this thread or one deleted for marketing. Don’t misrepresent my positions. I like many brands,just not interested in Trinnov. I’m not being partisan. It honestly looks like a rip off on the hardware side. Is it worth if because of its software? Don’t know. I can’t get past the build.

This was almost a decade ago. “WBF Founding Member
Jun 22, 2010
Theta has lost all credibility with me. I sold my CB and went another direction and won't look back. There are many other solutions (that may not yet have 1.4) that are outstanding for HT/Surround and even two channel.

Their devotees (many) have hung in there but Theta's (ATI's) refusal to openly and directly communicate with their users is a completely unnacceptable way of doing business.” Just move on already. I’ll goes further back, the comments. I’ll dig them up.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 04-16-2019 at 03:28 AM.
post #12881 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Back to Theta. I truly enjoy my Casablanca IV. Sure, there's always curiosity as to how the other processors would sound in my home, but I think that (for my room in my home) it will be tough to beat the CBIV.

Everyone has their preferences for build quality, etc. My preference is for how well the product performs. I've been bashed in the past for using "upgraded" products, but hey, they performed better and that's what matters to me.

Dave
Boonyarat likes this.
post #12882 of 12963 Old 04-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Back to Theta. I truly enjoy my Casablanca IV. Sure, there's always curiosity as to how the other processors would sound in my home, but I think that (for my room in my home) it will be tough to beat the CBIV.

Everyone has their preferences for build quality, etc. My preference is for how well the product performs. I've been bashed in the past for using "upgraded" products, but hey, they performed better and that's what matters to me.

Dave
Can’t beat that
Eventually it boils down to what sounds good to you in your room
post #12883 of 12963 Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Love my THETA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2554272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2554274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2554276  
post #12884 of 12963 Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyarat View Post
Love my THETA
Theta has always been a thing of beauty to me. Your pics exemplify that.

Dave
Boonyarat likes this.
post #12885 of 12963 Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had my Casablanca for over 22 years. And after numerous upgrades have settled on the 1V with D 3 Dacs. To say that I'm pleased with the Casablanca is an understatement.
stacy11, Bulldogger and Boonyarat like this.
post #12886 of 12963 Old 04-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gen VIII Series 3 and SACDs

Hi guys- I've just become interested in a Gen VIII Series 3. The General Information section for the unit on the Theta website indicates "a new chipset that lets the G8S3 play SACDs....". How? I don't see a propriety input on the unit (or a source device with same proprietary output). Is there a module for the expansion slot that takes care of that? Are there any expansion modules? Thanks for looking.

Russ

PS- I play SACDs now from my Oppo 103D to my Emotiva XMC-1 via HDMI.

Last edited by Russ_L; 04-20-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added current status for SACDs
post #12887 of 12963 Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Theta to PS Audio

Hi Steve- thanks for the response although not the answer I was hoping for. The G8S3 is a non-starter for me without SACD capability. I was hoping for an all Theta two-channel system but I guess I'll go all PS Audio instead. DirectStream DAC (with bridge) and Transport, BHK monoblocks. If I can stream DSD directly to the DAC I'll probably do away with the transport and pick up the BHK preamp (as I have a TT in the system) but I have to look into that.

Russ

Last edited by Russ_L; 04-21-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: left with bridge out
post #12888 of 12963 Old 04-27-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
It's quite a bit more depending upon how you do your calculations. The older Xtreme D2 card was relatively quite expensive. It uses two Ti PCM1704 chips, which retail for $29 each, for each channel. That's about nearly $240, just for dac chips on one car. The current unit uses chips which are still considerably more expensive than any of the chips that are around the performance of the Trinnov. The debate over build quality is a "lost cause." There could be other winning debates but this one is not it. Theta dominates here.

Hello Bulldogger, agreed. My beautiful D2 card:

Michael Osadciw and G-Rex like this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #12889 of 12963 Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And it's mind boggling to think as excellent as the D2 is, there are another couple of levels of sound superior to it, first the D3, then the Theta Gen VIII.

I've recently been playing with custom Dirac curve (correct crossover point slope per Theta instruction - 12 dB/octave drop, AND limiting correction to sub Shroeder frequency). With custom Dirac curve, the Casablanca went from Porsche 911 to Porsche Turbo . I would recommend this to all fellow Casablanca owners.

The default Dirac curve could be a little too bass heavy - it's a 2 dB gain over midrange. My custom curve reduces this to 1 dB for example, but this is a matter of personal preferecne, and of course system dependent. Now with custom curve, I hear a level of 2 channel sound I thought not possible in any SSP. A result of superior DAC chip + superior analog output stage + Dirac.

Boonyarat likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 04-27-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #12890 of 12963 Old 04-27-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Those Theta cards are a work of art! Love dirac too, lol.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #12891 of 12963 Old 04-27-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Those Theta cards are a work of art! Love dirac too, lol.
The D2 card might have been designed, or at least heavily influenced, by the same engineer as your Datasat RS20 (David Kerstetter). Kerstetter, by all accounts digital and audio engineer extraordinaire, is now back with ATI/Datasat/Theta, so I hope for many good things to come.
The Bogg and Boonyarat like this.

Regards, Can
post #12892 of 12963 Old 04-28-2019, 03:30 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
How could the Trinnov win on hardware? Are the dacs and associated hardware, like volume control, clocks, op-amps upgradeable? Digital outputs upgradeable? Digital inputs upgradeable? Theta wins hands down on hardware upgradeability. Dirac is steadily improving as well, so. Make the argument that it doesn't matter for something. The idea that the Trinnov is more flexible on hardware upgrades is outlandish.

Trinnov is a PC. My HTPC can outperform the Trinnov. If Trinnov sold the software, you would not even need to pay 30k for an overpriced HTPC. From a hardware standpoint, it's a rip-off.
Kevin(Bulldogger)

I know you and Steve have been going at it for a while now and I have been standing back and watching this and it really saddens me. You were such good friends and over some Audio differences this is no longer. I am really hoping you and Steve can get past this and move on as this whole thing is over what Steve thinks is good/great product and your love of Theta etc.

Now you do know my position with Theta very well and that I will defend the Gen VIII and the Casablanca till the bitter end. These products make up a huge portion of my income and as you know I have nurtured and helped keep them alive for so many years. With over 550 CB's under my management you don't really think I want to hurt Theta ? My Gen VIII's are much fewer but as you know I was the biggest Gen VIII fan in the world. Just in case you forgot when the Gen VIII was being developed I was on the Beta team and had the first unit when Mary Cardas who was running Theta at the time sent me Serial # 1..

I still to this day remember plugging it in and moving the XLR cables from my CB to the Gen VIII and I think I was using a Compli at the time and playing a disc (I think it was Tracy Chapman) and my Jaw hit the ground. I invited friends over and the same reaction. The CB had D2 cards and the Gen VIII Smoked it by a long shot. I took the unit the following week to a few clients homes to let them listen compared to their CB's and every one of them said order me one. One client asked to to call Mary and ask her if he could buy the demo unit as he didn't want me to leave with it. YES Kevin this machine proved that when implemented correctly a DAC/Pre can be life changing and over the following years we A/B compared the Gen VIII to everything. Ie. Berkeley and DCS and so many others and not one ever stacked up to the Gen VIII..

So with that said let's catch up to today. Morris/Dave (Theta) took the Dac chips from the Gen VIII as you know and built the D3 Dac Card and in designing this card realized the Volume controls which are built onto the Dac Cards needed to be better than what's in the Gen VIII because the Gen VIII's volume design is older yet great but they felt they could do it better. They designed a new volume circuit which is more dynamic and better than that of the Gen VIII and this made it onto the D3 card. So what does this mean ? The D3 card in Theory could or should be better than the Gen VIII but of course the Isolated power supply and chassis design of the Gen VIII are wonderful and when closely listened against each other which I myself and dozens of people have A/B compared, almost everyone chose the D3 in their CB over the Gen VIII.

Now for the 2 Channel user it would make no sense to have a CB so a Gen VIII is a perfect solution for that person and I today only have one better solution than the Gen VIII for 2 channel listeners and that's Trinnov's Amethyst. Now of course this is going to introduce the conversation into how this section of the thread started and your comment about Trinnov being a PC.

Kevin, it may use a PC type chassis and an Intel CPU but its not PC. It doesn't need a Keyboard or Monitor. It doesn't require windows updates or PC like reboots or anything like that. It uses a custom Linux Operating system like almost every piece of equipment on the planet. IE. Routers, iPhones, Mac Computers, your car's entertainment system and almost everything that is in our lives which is computerized today is Linux Based.

So what does this all mean ?

Look at who Trinnov is? Financially secure French based Engineering company producing commercial and residential based Audio Products for the Movie Theaters, Recording industry and live performance venues as well. They may possibly have more engineers working at Trinnov than many of the USA based audio companies combined. Their software and hardware is hands down the most flexible, upgradable , dynamic and more important musically capable products I have heard in a very long time.

Using a chassis that they chose was smart and it's not a sealed solution. Their chassis opens easily and the HDMI card along with other hardware can be removed and easily upgraded. Many Trinnov users have upgraded their HDMI cards themselves with no issues.

Kevin, I have a lot at stake speaking openly about these products when I have supported Theta since they started and kept them running in the years they were hanging on by a thread. Morris has done amazing things with the Theta brand and he is continuing. He is of course working the commercial space as Datasat and BGW have a huge footing there for him but he is fully committed to the Growth of the Casablanca and yes there will be a Casablanca V. It will be the same chassis but most likely have the the ability for a third 6 channel card giving the machine an 18 channel potential. It's still going to be a hardware based Pre Pro the same as every single Receiver (Denon,Yamaha,Marantz, Onkyo etc) and pre pro on the planet EXCEPT for Trinnov.

Is this a bad thing ? Not really. The CB with its modular Dac Architecture is sweet as we all know and sounds amazing but its a hardware based solution. We have all had hardware based solutions for our audio since the beginning of time and yes finally someone has broken free of the pack and created something different. I know you're struggling with the concept that an Intel based software oriented machine could be equal or better maybe than a high end hardware solution but in this case your incorrect. The Trinnov has lots of hardware and is not just software. The Dacs and Logic boards and most of the components inside are Trinnovs but that allows them to be flexible and upgradable as well. Look at a 5 year old iPhone. Fully Software upgradable with the latest OS and loads of new features with the press of a button. Trinnov has the same concept.

Room Correction - Most people know what room correction can do on this forum and most people who have had the opportunity to play with Dirac have experienced room correction that works really well. Before Dirac I had very little hope for high quality correction with resolution that I could stand on a high end system. Dirac changed that for me and then came Trinnov. Trinnov's room correction for me is what feels like the first time I heard Dirac against Audyssey. Trinnov's correction and ability to mic the room in 3d makes the rest seem kind of silly. They are the room correction masters. Actually when you look at how they started and what they have done all these years, its all about calibrations, accuracy, listening to rooms in 3d and doing things like no other.

Kevin, I write this long winded message to you today to clarify some things and most important I want to make sure the people reading these threads get the truth. No one loves Theta more than me, trust me on that for many reasons. This doesn't mean I cant also love Trinnov which I do very much. I now have many many of my friends and clients who have moved from Theta to Trinnov and not a single one has said they miss their Theta. Every single one has said it sounds better across the board and to the point some even have bought 2 Trinnov's for the same house. (Thank you Rob).. He owned Theta's forever and now is a Trinnov fan.

Lets keep this simple - For the critical listener who doesn't need high channel count and wants an amazing hardware based Pre Pro with a long time proven record of upgrades and amazing dacs and is not so concerned about Best in class Room Correction and Software upgradability the Casablanca / Gen VIII is absolutely amazing. For the person who's looking for a more software based future proof solution with Native Roon Streaming and incredible setup flexibility and high channel count options Trinnov owns it.

I am very proud to be working closely with both companies and I can tell you the support from Trinnov is fantastic. Don't get me wrong John Baloff at Theta is world class himself but Trinnov's Support is amazing and Jon Herron and his USA staff is awesome. Yes by the way, Trinnov USA exists and they are building a facility in CT and they have USA based support and service and they are not taking this market lightly.

Kevin I hope you and Steve can be friends again and I hope you realize Trinnov is a serious player and its not just a PC. If you ever get the chance to listen to an Amethyst (This is Trinnov's 2.2 channel version of the Altitude ) and compare it to your Gen VIII you may have a little eye opener.

Thank you for reading -
Craig Shumer
Theatermax LLC

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax

Last edited by VGI; 04-28-2019 at 05:59 PM.
post #12893 of 12963 Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This thread has to set a record for thread rollbacks. Wow... very foreseeable. Why such a push by so many to prove Trinnov is superior on a Theta owner’s thread is beyond me. That will of course then spark ancillary arguments that unfortunately became very public. This “challenge” was doomed from the beginning considering where this argument found a home. The more I read this thread, the more content I have become to stay with my MX160.
joerod likes this.

Last edited by G-Rex; 04-30-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #12894 of 12963 Old 04-30-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5273 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
Quote:
This thread has to set a record for thread rollbacks. Wow... very foreseeable. Why such a push by so many to prove Trinnov is superior on a Theta owner’s thread is beyond me.
Because it was stated here that a "PC" based system could never be equivalent (I can't say better) sonically. The conversation had thankfully moved to a dedicated thread now.

I am guilty of consuming spec sheet porn. However, we engage in willful ignorance when we make judgments without actually listening. Less arguing and more listening is the Rx.
thezaks and llang269 like this.
post #12895 of 12963 Old 05-02-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
And it's mind boggling to think as excellent as the D2 is, there are another couple of levels of sound superior to it, first the D3, then the Theta Gen VIII.

I've recently been playing with custom Dirac curve (correct crossover point slope per Theta instruction - 12 dB/octave drop, AND limiting correction to sub Shroeder frequency). With custom Dirac curve, the Casablanca went from Porsche 911 to Porsche Turbo . I would recommend this to all fellow Casablanca owners.

The default Dirac curve could be a little too bass heavy - it's a 2 dB gain over midrange. My custom curve reduces this to 1 dB for example, but this is a matter of personal preferecne, and of course system dependent. Now with custom curve, I hear a level of 2 channel sound I thought not possible in any SSP. A result of superior DAC chip + superior analog output stage + Dirac.

Compare my custom curve above with the default Dirac curve below: note the default curve is down sloping, made to be consistent with studies that showed listeners' preference for such shape. This default curve means difference between low freq and high freq is 4 dB. Depends on each system, this could result in overly warm system.

In case you don't see the subtle difference
a. My curve cuts off at Shroeder freq: ie, there is NO room correction above 400 Hz.
b. My curve raises the bass only 1 dB.
c. My curve has a 12 dB/Octave drop off at the crossover frequency of the center speaker.
This seemingly subtle change results in significantly different sound.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 05-02-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #12896 of 12963 Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I did the same thing with my Dirac...correction only below Schroeder frequency and loving it. I just bought an individually calibrated mic so I'm going to "play" again when I get time (mainly to set up the surrounds and new ceiling speakers).
cannga likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #12897 of 12963 Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5273 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
@cannga with Dirac 2.0 it will be worth testing full-range correction.
post #12898 of 12963 Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Interesting review comparing Sonics of ATI Class D vs Class AB amps!

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...ews/ati-at4002

That is interesting indeed. Everything I've read up to this point - even from Dealers - indicates that the ATI Class D is a little smoother than the Class AB 4000 and 6000 Signature amps. This is the first one I've read that has it the other way.

Also, as I was reading the review, it seemed like the AB amp was sonically better, but the writer ended up getting the Class D. I'm guessing the size and weight was more of a priority than sonic differences - especially for a Den setup.

Dave
post #12899 of 12963 Old 06-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Here is something for those looking to operate amps requiring a pulse signal (Early Dreadnaught, etc) with any source that has a constant 12v trigger output. It is cheap and easy to make. parts and instructions are attached.

Parts needed:
  1. Decent quality 12vDC switching power supply, at least 500ma.
  2. DEI power door lock pulse / double pulse module 452T
  3. Standard 12v DC automotive relay (prefer the mini relays, check Amazon for them)
  4. One 6' mono 1/8" TRS plug male to male cable (you'll cut this in half and wire to both sides of this DIY module)
  5. a few spade crimps and barrel connector crimps, heat shrink, wire strippers.
can be put together in 30 mins and is a clean, reliable solution
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Theta-Remote-Switcher-Constant-to-Pulse-Trigger.pdf (927.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by k_lewis; 06-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #12900 of 12963 Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
From Stereophile's newsletter emailed today - from the Archives:

Theta DS Pro Generation III digital processor
Robert Harley, Lewis Lipnick, Thomas J. Norton | Jun 6, 2019 | First Published: Oct 1, 1992

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ital-processor

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page