The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 431 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1349Likes

post #12901 of 13128 Old 06-14-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5088 Post(s)
Liked: 3945
@Cannaga

You may want to experiment with moving your target curve a tad lower to reduce the amount gain required of the filters. It may or may not be audible but sometimes with high Q correction, it can, on occasion, be audible. See attached for what I am talking about. What I am describing is doable on Dirac on a Datasat so assume it is on the CB as well. It may do nothing but with the flexibility of Dirac, it might be worth a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.17.28 AM.png
Views:	30
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	2579788  

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12902 of 13128 Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Interesting insight into Theta’s dac design. It’s an old article but still relevant. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-musical-event

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #12903 of 13128 Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Interesting insight into Theta’s dac design. It’s an old article but still relevant. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-musical-event
Now that's a bunch of interesting "Schit" these days!

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...l-da-processor

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12904 of 13128 Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My room is ready, Theta CB III set up challenges

Steve/Cannga et el,

I finally got my HT room done after mere seven and half months! Went down and started setting up. My experience with Projector is the first, so was a bit challenging.
However, the used Theta CB III HD that I bought, is very important piece of my overall equation. I would like to leverage it fully, but not sure how to really do it. I did set up using quick set up guide of the help guide came with the machine. I am sure there are lot more we can do to make the sound better. Can anyone please help by pointing to any old thread or post in this place the potentially optimum way to set up CB III?
I have Revel Speakers, two Rythmik Subs and 5+1 setup in a dedicate HT room ...

Will greatly appreciate any and every help!!!
post #12905 of 13128 Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabu7 View Post
Steve/Cannga et el,

I finally got my HT room done after mere seven and half months! Went down and started setting up. My experience with Projector is the first, so was a bit challenging.
However, the used Theta CB III HD that I bought, is very important piece of my overall equation. I would like to leverage it fully, but not sure how to really do it. I did set up using quick set up guide of the help guide came with the machine. I am sure there are lot more we can do to make the sound better. Can anyone please help by pointing to any old thread or post in this place the potentially optimum way to set up CB III?

Gee, I then upgraded my CBIII to the CBIIIHD back in 2011. Then to CBIV back in 2014, etc, etc, now whatever I'm onto. If you go back in this thread to 2014 I'm sure you will find valuable setup tips. One thing is use an external blu ray disc with speaker levels to set them, not the internal test tones. And set bass level to 6 dB higher than other speaker levels if say use analog Radio Shack level meter because its not accurate at the lower bass. Enjoy!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #12906 of 13128 Old 06-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Set help for Theta CB III HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Gee, I then upgraded my CBIII to the CBIIIHD back in 2011. Then to CBIV back in 2014, etc, etc, now whatever I'm onto. If you go back in this thread to 2014 I'm sure you will find valuable setup tips. One thing is use an external blu ray disc with speaker levels to set them, not the internal test tones. And set bass level to 6 dB higher than other speaker levels if say use analog Radio Shack level meter because its not accurate at the lower bass. Enjoy!
Thanks much Steve! I am lagging, as this is my entry to the bold new and great world of Theta! Compared to my Krell Foundation, there is a day/night difference in clarity of sound, sound stage is significantly better. Have plan to move to CB IV at some point by possibly end of this year. Meanwhile will try to leverage the best of whatever CB III has to offer Will check older posting to find helps ... I am guessing there might be fragmented discussion points touch one or the other aspect of set up rather than a one long Setup related post. Hope to find these, read and use the exiting knowledge to fast track my understanding.
post #12907 of 13128 Old 06-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Playing Streaming option like Roku via Theta CB

I am currently having issue with Oppo 203, which is 4k compliant, but giving me grief displaying 4k materials. Panasonic UB900 does it ok. But Panasonic is not capable to accept Roku via HDMI Input, as it only has HDMI out. Can I use my CB III HD for playing Roku? If yes, how can I do it? I tried with Krell Foundation, didn't work. Will appreciate input from someone who faced this sort of issue or someone way more knowledgeable than me in these matter
post #12908 of 13128 Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I am currently having issue with Oppo 203, which is 4k compliant, but giving me grief displaying 4k materials. Panasonic UB900 does it ok. But Panasonic is not capable to accept Roku via HDMI Input, as it only has HDMI out. Can I use my CB III HD for playing Roku? If yes, how can I do it? I tried with Krell Foundation, didn't work. Will appreciate input from someone who faced this sort of issue or someone way more knowledgeable than me in these matter
THe CBIIIHD dates from 2011! Pre any 4k. I do not think the HDMI 2.0 card available on the CBIVA-SSP will work in the CBIIIHD. YOu can call ATI-Theta Tech Support and I betcha they will confirm I am right on this. I betcha 4k will work fine if you connect via HDMI your 4k component direct to your 4k video display. I have an Oppo 205 and 4k works without a hitch to my current SSP or my Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor.

post #12909 of 13128 Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am currently having issue with Oppo 203, which is 4k compliant, but giving me grief displaying 4k materials. Panasonic UB900 does it ok. But Panasonic is not capable to accept Roku via HDMI Input, as it only has HDMI out. Can I use my CB III HD for playing Roku? If yes, how can I do it? I tried with Krell Foundation, didn't work. Will appreciate input from someone who faced this sort of issue or someone way more knowledgeable than me in these matter[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I personally have never used a product from HDFury but one of their products should be able to solve the issue. https://www.hdfury.com/product/integral-2/

post #12910 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
THe CBIIIHD dates from 2011! Pre any 4k. I do not think the HDMI 2.0 card available on the CBIVA-SSP will work in the CBIIIHD. YOu can call ATI-Theta Tech Support and I betcha they will confirm I am right on this. I betcha 4k will work fine if you connect via HDMI your 4k component direct to your 4k video display. I have an Oppo 205 and 4k works without a hitch to my current SSP or my Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor.
I will be able to find out and decide next course of action hopefully. I am told by John and Craig that my CB III HD would be able to play Roku if I plug it to one of the four HDMI In and connect JVC Project to HDMI Out. Will check today. Planning to return Oppo 203, as it has know handshake issue with some Projectors. My CAT6 to HDMI converter could also be an issue. So try Optical HDMI that I bought.

Thanks much Steve!
post #12911 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 AM

I am planning to get an used D2 Extreme DAC. Wondering will I be able to easily configure this after replacing my current Premium DAC, or is it too complicated for someone with modest understanding of these machines ... would like to avoid sending the CB to somewhere else to get this set up. Does anyone know if there is any step describing the replacement process of DACs?
post #12912 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I am planning to get an used D2 Extreme DAC. Wondering will I be able to easily configure this after replacing my current Premium DAC, or is it too complicated for someone with modest understanding of these machines ... would like to avoid sending the CB to somewhere else to get this set up. Does anyone know if there is any step describing the replacement process of DACs?
Note the D2 Extreme DAC dates back from the early 2000s and remains an excellent DAC - D3 is much better. Theta Tech support or if you have a knowledgable Theta dealer can lead you through the steps, not hard at all, just hitting a few buttons on the front panel.

post #12913 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Steve Bruzonsky;58232594]
Quote:

Note the D2 Extreme DAC dates back from the early 2000s and remains an excellent DAC - D3 is much better. Theta Tech support or if you have a knowledgable Theta dealer can lead you through the steps, not hard at all, just hitting a few buttons on the front panel.
D-3 is not an option for CB3HD unless it changed?

post #12914 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 11:16 AM

[quote=Bulldogger;58232668]
Quote:
D-3 is not an option for CB3HD unless it changed?
You are most probably absolutely correct on this - though Theta tech support could easily answer this with 100% certainty.

post #12915 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 5542 Post(s)
Liked: 5125
Quote:
Planning to return Oppo 203, as it has know handshake issue with some Projectors. My CAT6 to HDMI converter could also be an issue. So try Optical HDMI that I bought.
I recommend you keep the Oppo 203 until you are sure you do not want/need it. The Oppo is the only UHD disc player with an HDMI input and it can split HDMI audio like the HDFury's.
post #12916 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bought it already. Since building my dedicated HT room, made some good changes - so why not go one more small step to leverage CB a little more Hope to observe noticeable enough difference. Will use for LCR. Premium for Surrounds. My two Rythmik subs are doing great so far...
post #12917 of 13128 Old 06-27-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I recommend you keep the Oppo 203 until you are sure you do not want/need it. The Oppo is the only UHD disc player with an HDMI input and it can split HDMI audio like the HDFury's.
Just tried to play using my CB III HD. Connected Roku to Input and use Output to connect the Projector. Worked like a charm!!! I am very happy - really

Thank you all for so much help and support! Appreciate it greatly.
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #12918 of 13128 Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabu5Y View Post
Got it - thank you Cannga - much appreciated! I am really eyeing the Xtreme D2. Need to find a good price of a good condition one. Will keep one Premium for now to run the Surround. I am going use two Subs - so it will be tricky - with one D2 card, I can run two Mains, one Center. But can't cover the two Subs...
Cannga and Steve, as I might have already mentioned, I am about to get the D2. Paid to Craig, waiting for him to ship. Now John B is saying with D2 card, the CB will run a bit warm. I am trying to understand how to mitigate this ... my basement & the dedicated HT room is few degrees below the main floor temperature. CB is sitting on the top of the VTI shelf with plenty of open space around. Do I have to use a fan? John suggested to use one if the temp difference is over 5 degree before and after the D2 install. I am attaching a pic of the room for getting a good sense. Will appreciate your input/advice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190608_183639.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	926.8 KB
ID:	2586618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_195747.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2586622  
post #12919 of 13128 Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Cannga and Steve, as I might have already mentioned, I am about to get the D2. Paid to Craig, waiting for him to ship. Now John B is saying with D2 card, the CB will run a bit warm. I am trying to understand how to mitigate this ... my basement & the dedicated HT room is few degrees below the main floor temperature. CB is sitting on the top of the VTI shelf with plenty of open space around. Do I have to use a fan? John suggested to use one if the temp difference is over 5 degree before and after the D2 install. I am attaching a pic of the room for getting a good sense. Will appreciate your input/advice!
If on top shelf with plenty of open space it shouldn't be a problem at all - it will just run warm! Not a worry as far as my experience goes. Nice setup and component rack by the way!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-01-2019 at 09:55 PM.
post #12920 of 13128 Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
If on top shelf with plenty of open space it shouldn't be a problem at all - it will just run warm! Not a worry as far as my experience goes. Nice setup and component rack by the way!

100% agree!

Dave
post #12921 of 13128 Old 07-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks much Steve! I am a bit relieved A fan is a bit of bump in the whole setup and look, if I may. My best friend is the lower temp in the basement. Not sure why, my town asks for insulation of basement while it is built. So, it is supposed to be as warm as main floor, but fortunately ()it is a tad cooler. That helps, I guess.
Here are few more pics - just to share the joy of having a good hobby and great folks who like you who share my passion!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190608_182825.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	2586890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_183639.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	926.8 KB
ID:	2586892   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_183740.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	2586894  
post #12922 of 13128 Old 07-02-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks much Steve! I am a bit relieved A fan is a bit of bump in the whole setup and look, if I may. My best friend is the lower temp in the basement. Not sure why, my town asks for insulation of basement while it is built. So, it is supposed to be as warm as main floor, but fortunately ()it is a tad cooler. That helps, I guess.
Here are few more pics - just to share the joy of having a good hobby and great folks who like you who share my passion!!!
Nice! What's your projector, speakers and amps?

post #12923 of 13128 Old 07-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Nice! What's your projector, speakers and amps?
Amp is my weakest link Steve It is Parasound, but not the A51, it is 5250 v2.0. Wanted to replace quite sometime back, got lazy...
Project is JVC DLA-X790. And Speakers are Revel - the new generation 208s. I am using Panamax 5400 as power center. Using three 20 amp dedicated outlet for Amp & two Subs. Subs are Rythmik FXV15.
post #12924 of 13128 Old 07-03-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Amp is my weakest link Steve It is Parasound, but not the A51, it is 5250 v2.0. Wanted to replace quite sometime back, got lazy...
Project is JVC DLA-X790. And Speakers are Revel - the new generation 208s. I am using Panamax 5400 as power center. Using three 20 amp dedicated outlet for Amp & two Subs. Subs are Rythmik FXV15.
Nice! Especially multiple dedicated circuits!

post #12925 of 13128 Old 07-06-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Steve/Cannga et el,

Sorry I have not been here for a while. Very nice setup you have; Revel is among my most favorite speaker brands. Anyway my CBIII HD setup is similar to yours: absolutely Ok and no fan needed.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #12926 of 13128 Old 07-06-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Thanks much Steve! I am lagging, as this is my entry to the bold new and great world of Theta! Compared to my Krell Foundation, there is a day/night difference in clarity of sound, sound stage is significantly better. Have plan to move to CB IV at some point by possibly end of this year. Meanwhile will try to leverage the best of whatever CB III has to offer Will check older posting to find helps ... I am guessing there might be fragmented discussion points touch one or the other aspect of set up rather than a one long Setup related post. Hope to find these, read and use the exiting knowledge to fast track my understanding.
I too went from Krell SSP to Theta SSP. The difference is indeed night and day (and I'm a dedicated Krell fan, still use Krell amps to power my speakers).

I spent many hours to test all the modes of CBIII HD and detect all the idiosyncrasies. Think of the CBIII HD as an upgrade to an old architecture, the old lossy CBIII. As such CBIII HD has different "brains/architectures," old AND new, and they coexist such that behavior is odd sometimes. I summarize my findings in this thread and IMHO it's very important to read this post first:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post36371586

Read this first: IMHO spending a few minutes to read the next few posts here would save you hours and hours :-) of frustration later. The Casablanca could be quite confusing until you figure out its behavior. For me the key to know is this: there are 3 brains in the Casablanca :-), each brain has its own setting and specific behavior and may be quite different from the other brains in how it handles a signal (why it could be so confusing).

Brain 1 (Modern): For CD/SACD Stereo, and Bluray Disc with **lossless** Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA.
Brain 2 (Classic): For Old DVD and Cable Box with **lossy** Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 and 5.1.
Brain 3 (Dummy): For SACD 3 and 5.1, aka Multi-Channel LPCM. Dummy because it does no processing - native mode only.

I know it seems confusing at first but I would recommend to read and ponder the above paragraphs for a few minutes before moving on to the setting up part below. IMHO it is THE absolute key to a happy owner experience. Anyway, here is how to access each of the 3 brains and what they do:
Brain 1: Will play native or upmix to 5.1 or 7.1, Settting is accessed by: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), then "5", then arrow buttons to toggle.
Brain 2: Will play native or upmix to 5.1 or 7.1, Settting is accessed by: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), "A-D" (To get to page 2), "2" to access the menu of Dolby Digital, then set the modes (see pic below in post #3 ).
Brain 3: Do not upmix anything. Always native.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 07-06-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #12927 of 13128 Old 07-08-2019, 03:02 PM

The new NAD N17 v2 SSP with Dirac Live Pro has 3 Dirac filter storage settings compared to Theta CBIVA SSP with only 1 filter setting Review of NAD SSP in latest Sound and Vision mag!

post #12928 of 13128 Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
The new NAD N17 v2 SSP with Dirac Live Pro has 3 Dirac filter storage settings compared to Theta CBIVA SSP with only 1 filter setting Review of NAD SSP in latest Sound and Vision mag!

I had previously read that too. Nice feature!

Dave
post #12929 of 13128 Old 07-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Sorry I have not been here for a while. Very nice setup you have; Revel is among my most favorite speaker brands. Anyway my CBIII HD setup is similar to yours: absolutely Ok and no fan needed.

Very nice setup - the Speakers are huge!!! what are those?
It's great to know that I won't need the fan. That would have been a visual issue

BTW, I just observed one of my Rythmik Sub is not producing any sound. I connected one Sub to a Sub slot, another one is connected to Side, as I don't have a second Sub. My two cards are both Premium with four connection. When setting up, the CB display says 1 Sub and Side On. Not sure what I can do to make the other Sub to sing.
I am not finding a way to increase Sub setting to individually increase the volume like Krell. I just selected one of three canned options Linkwitz-Riley ("Phase Perfect"; "Butterworth"; and "Linkwitz-Riley"), which is supposed to be better than Butterworth for HT.
post #12930 of 13128 Old 07-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I too went from Krell SSP to Theta SSP. The difference is indeed night and day (and I'm a dedicated Krell fan, still use Krell amps to power my speakers).

I spent many hours to test all the modes of CBIII HD and detect all the idiosyncrasies. Think of the CBIII HD as an upgrade to an old architecture, the old lossy CBIII. As such CBIII HD has different "brains/architectures," old AND new, and they coexist such that behavior is odd sometimes. I summarize my findings in this thread and IMHO it's very important to read this post first:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post36371586

Read this first: IMHO spending a few minutes to read the next few posts here would save you hours and hours :-) of frustration later. The Casablanca could be quite confusing until you figure out its behavior. For me the key to know is this: there are 3 brains in the Casablanca :-), each brain has its own setting and specific behavior and may be quite different from the other brains in how it handles a signal (why it could be so confusing).

Brain 1 (Modern): For CD/SACD Stereo, and Bluray Disc with **lossless** Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA.
Brain 2 (Classic): For Old DVD and Cable Box with **lossy** Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 and 5.1.
Brain 3 (Dummy): For SACD 3 and 5.1, aka Multi-Channel LPCM. Dummy because it does no processing - native mode only.

I know it seems confusing at first but I would recommend to read and ponder the above paragraphs for a few minutes before moving on to the setting up part below. IMHO it is THE absolute key to a happy owner experience. Anyway, here is how to access each of the 3 brains and what they do:
Brain 1: Will play native or upmix to 5.1 or 7.1, Settting is accessed by: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), then "5", then arrow buttons to toggle.
Brain 2: Will play native or upmix to 5.1 or 7.1, Settting is accessed by: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), "A-D" (To get to page 2), "2" to access the menu of Dolby Digital, then set the modes (see pic below in post #3 ).
Brain 3: Do not upmix anything. Always native.
This information is truly helpful - thanks much Cannga!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page