The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 432 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1347Likes

post #12931 of 13112 Old 07-08-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabu7 View Post
This information is truly helpful - thanks much Cannga!!!!
If your CB only is setup for one sub output use a splitter on the one sub output of the CB to connect both subs!
cannga likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 13112 Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Very nice setup - the Speakers are huge!!! what are those?
It's great to know that I won't need the fan. That would have been a visual issue

BTW, I just observed one of my Rythmik Sub is not producing any sound. I connected one Sub to a Sub slot, another one is connected to Side, as I don't have a second Sub. My two cards are both Premium with four connection. When setting up, the CB display says 1 Sub and Side On. Not sure what I can do to make the other Sub to sing.
I am not finding a way to increase Sub setting to individually increase the volume like Krell. I just selected one of three canned options Linkwitz-Riley ("Phase Perfect"; "Butterworth"; and "Linkwitz-Riley"), which is supposed to be better than Butterworth for HT.
Thanks; those are Thiel CS5i.

The "Side" output from Casablanca is for side surround speakers of a 7.1 system, NOT for the subwoofer. If you are using 2 subwoofers, first you have to buy a Y splitter that splits the single subwoofer output from the Casablanca into two (my favorite source of high quality cheap price cable is PRO AUDIO LA: https://www.proaudiola.com/y-cables-s/917.htm). The 2 Rythmik Subs then plug into the 2 outputs of the Y splitter.

System's subwoofer output is then controlled by Casablanca, both subwoofers go up or down as one unit. Make sure to set gain such that the 2 Rythmik's has equal gain. Hope this helps.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #12933 of 13112 Old 07-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

The "Side" output from Casablanca is for side surround speakers of a 7.1 system, NOT for the subwoofer. If you are using 2 subwoofers, first you have to buy a Y splitter that splits the single subwoofer output from the Casablanca into two (my favorite source of high quality cheap price cable is PRO AUDIO LA: https://www.proaudiola.com/y-cables-s/917.htm). The 2 Rythmik Subs then plug into the 2 outputs of the Y splitter.

System's subwoofer output is then controlled by Casablanca, both subwoofers go up or down as one unit. Make sure to set gain such that the 2 Rythmik's has equal gain. Hope this helps.
Just a thought Cannga, can I not reconfigure the Side connection and name it as Sub2? I was looking at some images, and few showed not assignment of Side, Surr, Cen or L or R. Just 1, 2, 3 etc. which is generic. If yes, I will try to get my hands on a doc that describes how to configure the DAC for the first time after buying a brand new piece ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12934 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Just a thought Cannga, can I not reconfigure the Side connection and name it as Sub2? I was looking at some images, and few showed not assignment of Side, Surr, Cen or L or R. Just 1, 2, 3 etc. which is generic. If yes, I will try to get my hands on a doc that describes how to configure the DAC for the first time after buying a brand new piece ...
When you buy a new Casablanca SSP, the manufacturer has already configured and labeled the DAC cards/outputs for you.

All the years that I had the Casablanca SSP (until Feb this year when I changed), I had reprogrammed the DACs a number of times. Its easy. First, turn off CB3/3HD or CB4/4a from back, then back on from back. Then hit standby switch on front. Right as "Theta Digital" is coming up, press #1 button. Then enter password "11111" to reprogram the DACs. Then follow the instructions on the below sheet.

I had two Extreme D2 DAC cards for many, many years; three external Gen VIII Series 3 DACs for some years; and the last few years two Extreme D3 DAC cards - with a then system initially 5.2 which increased to 5.2.4. I never had any issue in programming the DAC cards (8 channels with D2, 12 channels with D3) for two subwoofer outputs. I don't think you will either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB3HD & CB4 Reprogram DACs Instructions.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	2590296  
cannga likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #12935 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
When you buy a new Casablanca SSP, the manufacturer has already configured and labeled the DAC cards/outputs for you.

All the years that I had the Casablanca SSP (until Feb this year when I changed), I had reprogrammed the DACs a number of times. Its easy. First, turn off CB3/3HD or CB4/4a from back, then back on from back. Then hit standby switch on front. Right as "Theta Digital" is coming up, press #1 button. Then enter password "11111" to reprogram the DACs. Then follow the instructions on the below sheet.

I had two Extreme D2 DAC cards for many, many years; three external Gen VIII Series 3 DACs for some years; and the last few years two Extreme D3 DAC cards - with a then system initially 5.2 which increased to 5.2.4. I never had any issue in programming the DAC cards (8 channels with D2, 12 channels with D3) for two subwoofer outputs. I don't think you will either.
This is so helpful Steve, thanks a lot!!! Will do follow the instruction and do the reconfiguration tonight ...

I am still waiting for Craig to get back to me on the D2 Card that I am trying to buy from him. He doesn't have one in stock, so connecting with John Baloff to see if he has a Card to spare/sell. Waiting eagerly ...
cannga likes this.
post #12936 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes you could re-configure the card with method mentioned by Steve above. Following are the choices for the Xtreme D2's 4 channels (something like A4-p would probably work?):

https://www.thetadigital.com/casablancaiii/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theta Casablanca Xtreme D2 Config.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	2590320  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 07-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #12937 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 5009 Post(s)
Liked: 3839
Quote:
Nice. I owned a pair of CS5i many moons ago. Great speaker. I just didn't realize how great until some time later.
post #12938 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
This is so helpful Steve, thanks a lot!!! Will do follow the instruction and do the reconfiguration tonight ...

I am still waiting for Craig to get back to me on the D2 Card that I am trying to buy from him. He doesn't have one in stock, so connecting with John Baloff to see if he has a Card to spare/sell. Waiting eagerly ...
Put a wanted ad for one at Audiogon and US Audio Mart. That way you can negotiate and get a better deal probably.

post #12939 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yes you could re-configure the card with method mentioned by Steve above. Following are the choices for the Xtreme D2's 4 channels (something like A4-p would probably work?):

https://www.thetadigital.com/casablancaiii/
Yes, A4p is a good choice for one of the cards. That way I can keep my two main and Center in another card. Thanks Cannga!
post #12940 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Put a wanted ad for one at Audiogon and US Audio Mart. That way you can negotiate and get a better deal probably.
Good idea, will do that ...
post #12941 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Good idea, will do that ...
Since you bought a used CBIIIHD SSP, just a warning to folks about watching how much they pay if they want to buy one.

There are two upgrades/models since the CBIIIHD SSP, the CBIV SSP, and the CBIVA SSP. Both the IV and IVA have the first version of Dirac Live room correction DSP, the IIIHD does not have Dirac Live. I think back when I did the upgrades, the IIIHD to IV msrp was $4,000 (2014); and the IV to IVA msrp was $3,000 (2017).

When I changed SSP companies, this very year I sold my CBIVA SSP with 2 Extreme D3 6 channel DAC cards, for $11,000 with 1 Extreme D3 6 channel card, and I sold the other D3 6 channel DAC card for $2,500. So I netted $13,500 total. If you apportion $2,500 to each D-3 DAC card, that leaves $8,500 for the CBIVA SSP without any DAC cards! (and thats my generours used sales price, D-3 6 channel cards retail for $4,995.) Then if you deduct the msrp for the upgrades from IIIHD to IV and to IVA, that leaves like $1,500. Of course if one pays something less than msrp, that leaves some more margin, though I understand dealer margin on upgrades is not what it is on selling new product.

I saw an ad on US Audio Mart, expired/sold, asking $5,800 for a CBIIIHD with 2 Premium DAC cards. Seems like an awful high price considering.
Even worse deal if its the "oldest" Premium card rather than a newer model!

I should add that during my many years of owning the CB SSP and every itineration of it, I felt that the sonic quality even without Dirac improved reasonably from IIIHD to IV and to IVA.

Here's the Theta Digital price list from 2015, still on the website, which may have increased some since: https://thetadigital.com/downloads/T...ice%20book.pdf
MSRPs are D-3 6 channel DAC $4,995; Premium 4 channel DAC $1,875; D2 4 channel DAC $4,995; Superior II 2 channel DAC $3,125.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-13-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #12942 of 13112 Old 07-13-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Since you bought a used CBIIIHD SSP, just a warning to folks about watching how much they pay if they want to buy one.

There are two upgrades/models since the CBIIIHD SSP, the CBIV SSP, and the CBIVA SSP. Both the IV and IVA have the first version of Dirac Live room correction DSP, the IIIHD does not have Dirac Live. I think back when I did the upgrades, the IIIHD to IV msrp was $4,000 (2014); and the IV to IVA msrp was $3,000 (2017).

When I changed SSP companies, this very year I sold my CBIVA SSP with 2 Extreme D3 6 channel DAC cards, for $11,000 with 1 Extreme D3 6 channel card, and I sold the other D3 6 channel DAC card for $2,500. So I netted $13,500 total. If you apportion $2,500 to each D-3 DAC card, that leaves $8,500 for the CBIVA SSP without any DAC cards! (and thats my generours used sales price, D-3 6 channel cards retail for $4,995.) Then if you deduct the msrp for the upgrades from IIIHD to IV and to IVA, that leaves like $1,500. Of course if one pays something less than msrp, that leaves some more margin, though I understand dealer margin on upgrades is not what it is on selling new product.

I saw an ad on US Audio Mart, expired/sold, asking $5,800 for a CBIIIHD with 2 Premium DAC cards. Seems like an awful high price considering.
Even worse deal if its the "oldest" Premium card rather than a newer model!

I should add that during my many years of owning the CB SSP and every itineration of it, I felt that the sonic quality even without Dirac improved reasonably from IIIHD to IV and to IVA.

Here's the Theta Digital price list from 2015, still on the website, which may have increased some since: https://thetadigital.com/downloads/T...ice%20book.pdf
MSRPs are D-3 6 channel DAC $4,995; Premium 4 channel DAC $1,875; D2 4 channel DAC $4,995; Superior II 2 channel DAC $3,125.
Great information with rock solid calculation! Now that I already have the CB III HD, my next move would be to upgrade it to CB IV early next year. I won't go for IVa, as it would too much work to get the wiring thru the newly built HT room. Had to give up some goodies if like
post #12943 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great information with rock solid calculation! Now that I already have the CB III HD, my next move would be to upgrade it to CB IV early next year. I won't go for IVa, as it would too much work to get the wiring thru the newly built HT room. Had to give up some goodies if like
Is upgrade to just IV, not IVa, still an option?

I would vote to go to IVa even if you have no plan for ceiling speakers/Atmos for now. You never know the future with audio companies, and unlike IV, IVa should remain pertinent for many years to come. You would like the bird in the hands . (I said this even though, to me, the ability to do Atmos/DTS:X is not critical to movie sound. Qualities of LCR and subwoofer channels remain so much more important.)

Regards, Can
post #12944 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I would vote to go to IVa even if you have no plan for ceiling speakers/Atmos for now. You never know the future with audio companies, and unlike IV, IVa should remain pertinent for many years to come. You would like the bird in the hands . (I said this even though, to me, the ability to do Atmos/DTS:X is not critical to movie sound. Qualities of LCR and subwoofer channels remain so much more important.)
Cannga, did you ever upgrade your own CBIIIHD to a CBIV or CBIVA?

post #12945 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cannga, did you ever upgrade your own CBIIIHD to a CBIV or CBIVA?
Goodness, where have you been?

Kidding aside, I was one of the first. I probably have posted more on Atmos in Casablanca than anyone else on this forum (see green highlight in my signature).

Would not have "voted for IVa" if I hadn't done so myself.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 07-14-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #12946 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Kidding aside, I was one of the first. I probably have posted more on Atmos in Casablanca than anyone else on this forum (see green highlight in my signature).

Funny!

But you recently reposted stuff noting your CBIIIHD which left me wondering as my brain farts seem to be increasing!

post #12947 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Good suggestion, will certainly consider, unless the difference of cost is substantial
post #12948 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:

SSPs have really changed with lots of competition in the past several years. Although the CBV with 18 channels has clearly been worked on by ATI/Theta until its here its not guarenteed (though I would bet it will come, but keep in mind that cost will not only be I would think at least msrp of 4-5 grand, plus additional DAC card). Beyond that, the only way for the Casablanca to continue will be a new chassis, a new card from MDS for at least 28 if not 32 channels (MDS has a new 32 channel card coming out, but will it process Dirac higher than 48-24, which is what the new NAD SSP with Dirac Pro processes at), and even more substantial upgrade cost (for upgrade plus DACs).

Since the Casablanca first came out in late 1996 (I got one the very first year it came out), it provided top audiophile sonics with periodic reasonably upgrade expenses. And existing Casablanca owners certainly can continue to upgrade if they have the latest model and are upgrading to the new model for a much less expenditure $$$ than buying a new SSP. But when you go beyond that the economics start to change in this regard.

For one with the CBIIIHD, if one only ever wants 4 "top" Atmos speakers and a base 7.1 system, then upgrading from a IIIHD to a IV SSP is substantially the lowest cost option available. Upgrading further to the latest IVA SSP changes the economics some, and if one can get a good sale price on a IIIHD (If), and a good discount on a competing new SSP, then one may find that's a better route to go. Especially as Theta's more affordable DAC cards are admittedly (even by Theta luvers) comparable sonically to DACs in competing SSPs today (I had Theta's top D3 DACs, also had several Theta Gen VIII DACs, and lets just say some competition has changed and my current SSP is not lacking sonically at all regardless of its DACs). It used to be that build quality for the best sounding SSP was paramount - I believe this has been changing over the past several years with technological advances. Its one thing if you can buy a used Theta CBIVA SSP when they occasionally become available (like when I sold mine) for a fair price (perhaps 40 percent or more of msrp) - its another thing paying close to 30 grand msrp for a brand new CBIVA SSP with two 6 channel DAC cards - do you know anyone who has done this in the past few years - I certainly don't (although I bet there are some new sales in Asia to super rich audiophiles who don't mind spending the $$).

Upgrading from the CBIV to the IVA SSP, at least if you have the most expensive D3 DACs, assuming you have Theta amps and audiophile speakers like I have had, will I believe give you some additional percentage of sonic improvement, not just Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. But is it worth the $$ to you for probably a marginal sonic improvement at least probably to your own perception. And if you decide to sell the SSP of course you will take a nice loss on the additional upgrade cost.

post #12949 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

For one with the CBIIIHD, if one only ever wants 4 "top" Atmos speakers and a base 7.1 system, then upgrading from a IIIHD to a IV SSP is substantially the lowest cost option available. Upgrading further to the latest IVA SSP changes the economics some, and if one can get a good sale price on a IIIHD (If), and a good discount on a competing new SSP, then one may find that's a better route to go. Especially as Theta's more affordable DAC cards are admittedly (even by Theta luvers) comparable sonically to DACs in competing SSPs today (I had Theta's top D3 DACs, also had several Theta Gen VIII DACs, and lets just say some competition has changed and my current SSP is not lacking sonically at all regardless of its DACs). It used to be that build quality for the best sounding SSP was paramount - I believe this has been changing over the past several years with technological advances. Its one thing if you can buy a used Theta CBIVA SSP when they occasionally become available (like when I sold mine) for a fair price (perhaps 40 percent or more of msrp) - its another thing paying close to 30 grand msrp for a brand new CBIVA SSP with two 6 channel DAC cards - do you know anyone who has done this in the past few years - I certainly don't (although I bet there are some new sales in Asia to super rich audiophiles who don't mind spending the $$).

Come on Steve, wake up, you're having multiple SERIAL brain farts. Who pays MSRP for new Casablanca? My Casablanca was around 40% off so do the math and continue your discussion based on that percentage. (Can't recall exact number but don't believe I've paid more than $18k over the years for my CBIIIHD, updated to Atmos IVa.)

More importantly, it's about the sound quality so your point becomes somewhat redundant. Casablanca may not be for you, but for some others (yeah other people with different opinions do exist ), it's the only acceptable choice. In my case, opinion is based on auditions of competitors as well.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 07-14-2019 at 11:33 PM.
post #12950 of 13112 Old 07-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Come on Steve, wake up, you're having multiple SERIAL brain farts. Who pays MSRP for Casablanca? Mine was around 40% off so do the math and continue your discussion based on that percentage. (Can't recall exact number but don't believe I paid more than $18k over the years for my CBIIIHD updated to Atmos IVa.)

Kidding aside, it's about the sound quality so your point becomes redundant. Casablanca may not be for you, but for some others (yeah other people with different opinions do exist ), it's the only acceptable choice. In my case, opinion is based on auditions of competitors as well.
Sound quality is most important to me, since 1997 when I first got into the Casablanca, and now 22 years later as I've gone elsewhere. My theatre renovation/upgrade to 9.4.13 starts the end of the month, yet awaiting this, I watch movies, tv and listen to music and enjoy it sonically as much as ever (if not more).

My point is for many years as far as I was concerned the Casablanca was the only acceptable choice sonically. Times have changed.in this regard as far as I am concerned based on having had the CBIVA SSP with D3 DACs (and CBIV with external Gen VIII Series 3 DACs), my current SSP (guess - see signature below) and also having recently assisted Thezaks in setting up a Lyngdorf MP-50 at his place (review here in this forum). Long time Casablanca owners doing upgrades makes sound economic sense. But if you buy a used Casablanca, economics makes best sense to wait and find a used current latest model Casablanca.

And yea different folks may find different SSPs are more to one's liking and sonically. As I have found recently after having had and loved the Casablanca for nearly 22 years. Cannga, what other SSPs have you demod, and how recently, because as I have stated, in the past few years I think the SSP field has changed drastidally and for the better sonically becoming much more competitive.

Cannga, you started with the Casablanca with the CBIIIHD, right? Then upgraded to the IV and then to the IVA? You got use of the IIIHD out since 2011, IV out since 2014, IVA out since 2017. Different story especially $$$ cost than someone NOW buying a used IIIHD and paying even discounted MSRP to upgrade, different financial considerations in comparison to other competing SSPs available.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-15-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #12951 of 13112 Old 07-15-2019, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1. My point is for many years as far as I was concerned the Casablanca was the only acceptable choice sonically. Times have changed.in this regard as far as I am concerned based on having had the CBIVA SSP with D3 DACs (and CBIV with external Gen VIII Series 3 DACs), my current SSP (guess - see signature below) and also having recently assisted Thezaks in setting up a Lyngdorf MP-50 at his place (review here in this forum). Long time Casablanca owners doing upgrades makes sound economic sense. But if you buy a used Casablanca, economics makes best sense to wait and find a used current latest model Casablanca.

2. And yea different folks may find different SSPs are more to one's liking and sonically. As I have found recently after having had and loved the Casablanca for nearly 22 years. Cannga, what other SSPs have you demod, and how recently, because as I have stated, in the past few years I think the SSP field has changed drastidally and for the better sonically becoming much more competitive.

1. Yeah I think I've seen 1 or 2 of your posts on the subject . Including a few here on the Theta thread .

2. Datasat RS20 and Trinnov. Agreed absolutely that we all have different taste and priorities and there is no universally "best" SSP. If I were on a budget, the SSP of choice would be Datasat LS10. If I were crazy about sound, my vote is Casablanca.

Did you ever have a chance to set up full Atmos (ceiling speakers) with your Casablanca?

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 07-15-2019 at 12:18 AM.
post #12952 of 13112 Old 07-15-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
1. Yeah I think I've seen 1 or 2 of your posts on the subject . Including a few here on the Theta thread .

2. Datasat RS20 and Trinnov. Agreed absolutely that we all have different taste and priorities and there is no universally "best" SSP.

Did you ever have a chance to set up full Atmos with your Casablanca?
Talk about brain farts! Used CBIVA SSP with 2 Extreme D3 DAC cards for more than 18 months with Dolby Atmos and a 5.2.4 system. Using my current SSP with this same system, pending theatre renovation/upgrade, and sonically I am missing nothing as far as I am subjectively concerned.
Gee I guess you forget about my posts here on this. HA!

I agree there is no universally best SSP - its what works for you functionally and pricewise. I am simply pointing out that what I found for years, CB latest model with the top DACs sounded perhaps the best in the industry, is not necessarily the case anymore.

I might point out with the Trinnov, it has so many variables one can set that if you get something wrong, the sonics can be off. I have mastered rudimentary setup and my sonics are great - will be even better once my remodel/upgrade is done and once Adam Pelz comes out and does his better setup magic!

post #12953 of 13112 Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. Talk about brain farts! Used CBIVA SSP with 2 Extreme D3 DAC cards for more than 18 months with Dolby Atmos and a 5.2.4 system. Using my current SSP with this same system, pending theatre renovation/upgrade, and sonically I am missing nothing as far as I am subjectively concerned.
Gee I guess you forget about my posts here on this. HA!

2. I agree there is no universally best SSP - its what works for you functionally and pricewise. I am simply pointing out that what I found for years, CB latest model with the top DACs sounded perhaps the best in the industry, is not necessarily the case anymore.

I might point out with the Trinnov, it has so many variables one can set that if you get something wrong, the sonics can be off. I have mastered rudimentary setup and my sonics are great - will be even better once my remodel/upgrade is done and once Adam Pelz comes out and does his better setup magic!

1. 5.2.4 = you're missing important definition in side/rearward hemisphere with your Casablanca.

2. It's your (inevitable) age-related hearing loss my friend . There are still significant differences in digital and particularly analog stage and power supply designs between Theta and others. Have fun with your new system; I will agree with the "justification" to make you happy and in hope we don't hear about it anymore. 125 posts on subject is enough.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 07-15-2019 at 12:45 AM.
post #12954 of 13112 Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
1. 5.2.4 = you're missing important definition in side/rearward hemisphere with your Casablanca.

2. It's your (inevitable) age-related hearing loss my friend . There are still significant differences in digital and particularly analog stage and power supply designs[/B] between Theta and others. Have fun with your new system; I will agree with the "justification" to make you happy and in hope we won't have to hear about it on Theta thread anymore. 125 posts on subject is enough.
Ok. You are the Moderator?. I think I heard you this time! All 1000 of your posts saying the same thing for many years now😜😝😛 Despite differences in power supply what counts is how it sounds and functions and what it costs and what you can afford.

post #12955 of 13112 Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good suggestion, will certainly consider, unless the difference of cost is substantial
You have time to save up ammunition. If cost is an issue, when you get a quote from VGI, (of course) ask for the Premium card for the ceiling channels.

Eventually with Dirac correction, IMHO it's best to be using the Y splitter for the 2 Rythmiks from one output only (no harm whatsoever in doing this), so that the Rythmiks could be room-corrrected as a pair. (You correct the combined smoothed out signal afforded by having multiple subwoofers.)

Your system would then use L,C,R, Subwoof for the Xtreme D2 card as these are the 4 most important channels for sound, and Premium the rest. Casablanca Xtreme with good subwoofs like yours is an absolute KILLER of the take-no-prisoner type.

Regards, Can
post #12956 of 13112 Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Upgrading

Quote:

Really! Cannga and I were probably the first 2 in Los Angeles (if not everywhere...) to upgrade.... I haven't posted in a while because everything is GREAT...system just keeps getting better and better...and I've had my Casablanca since 2001...or possibly a year earlier...don't accurately remember...
post #12957 of 13112 Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Quote:
Great information with rock solid calculation! Now that I already have the CB III HD, my next move would be to upgrade it to CB IV early next year. I won't go for IVa, as it would too much work to get the wiring thru the newly built HT room. Had to give up some goodies if like[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I would vote to go to IVa even if you have no plan for ceiling speakers/Atmos for now. You never know the future with audio companies, and unlike IV, IVa should remain pertinent for many years to come. You would like the bird in the hands [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]. (I said this even though, to me, the ability to do Atmos/DTS:X is not critical to movie sound. Qualities of LCR and subwoofer channels remain so much more important.)
I agree. The LCR and sub are more important. I run McIntosh XR200 $22k LR, with a McIntosh XCS200 center $8k and WS350 surrounds $6k. I have a second pair of WS350s, that are boxed. All prices are retail. Recently bought an ATI 6005 signature to drive it all. No sub yet. Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then. There are many demos I’ve found with high channel count, where the quality of speakers starts to go down.
G-Rex likes this.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 07-16-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #12958 of 13112 Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I agree. The LCR and sub are more important. I run McIntosh XR200 $22k LR, with a McIntosh XCS200 center $8k and WS350 surrounds $6k. I have a second pair of WS350s, that are boxed. All prices are retail. Recently bought an ATI 6005 signature to drive it all. No sub yet. Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then. There are many demos I’ve found with high channel count, where the quality of speakers starts to go down.
Bulldogger:

Congrats on your AT6005. It is a wonderful amp.

Jeff
post #12959 of 13112 Old 07-17-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello BD, congrats on a very nice system coming together! When/if my Krell 5 channel amp fails, the replacement will be an ATI.

Just friendly recommendation for subwoofers: when you're ready check out American internet direct subwoofer companies, such as JTR thread in my signature. Objectively and subjectively smokes anything that more famous guys like JL Audio (which I still own and enjoy, just not as much) could offer.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 07-17-2019 at 09:45 AM.
post #12960 of 13112 Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then.
Congrats on the new room!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page