The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 433 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1317Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12961 of 12982 Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Bulldogger:


Congrats on your AT6005. It is a wonderful amp.


Jeff


Agreed. Monster of an amp. Really looking at web page of ATI amps is like going to a toy store.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12962 of 12982 Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
Really! Cannga and I were probably the first 2 in Los Angeles (if not everywhere...) to upgrade.... I haven't posted in a while because everything is GREAT...system just keeps getting better and better...and I've had my Casablanca since 2001...or possibly a year earlier...don't accurately remember...
That's right, you were "client zero," and I think I was next. Same here, I stopped posting as much since I've achieved audio nirvana . The Casablanca has a smooth, detailed treble, and the bass in particular so punchy and powerful. But it's the midrange that wins me over for music. Poorly designed digital DAC/processors tend to have a thin midrange (and flat soundstage) that drives me up the wall . Especially for 2 channel music when there are no competing sounds from surround/center speakers etc. to hide the shortcomings. So basically, no more searching for an answer :-).

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12963 of 12982 Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I agree. The LCR and sub are more important. I run McIntosh XR200 $22k LR, with a McIntosh XCS200 center $8k and WS350 surrounds $6k. I have a second pair of WS350s, that are boxed. All prices are retail. Recently bought an ATI 6005 signature to drive it all. No sub yet. Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then. There are many demos I’ve found with high channel count, where the quality of speakers starts to go down.
Construction photos please???

I heard your Mac speakers at LCM in Scottsdale a few years back - very nice!

Are you still running a custom home theater PC for tv and movies - or are you thinking of getting back into the Casablanca or other SSP now that your new theatre construction is well underway?

Are you prewiring or installing any top/ceiling Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D speakers? Even if you are not planning on installing them initially?

Of course LCR and subs are most important. And you have wonderful LCR and side and rear surrounds! If the speakers and setup give you that 3D soundstage which extends well behind the speakers, like a live performance, this is something that no matter how many and where you have speakers you can not make up for. This doesn't mean more speakers can't enhance the sonics, even lesser quality "effects" speakers so long as they reasonably match tonally, but of course there is a cost benefits ratio.

No doubt your theatre will sound very very nice once its done. Exciting!

More on how important the LCR speakers are, my discussion recently at the CEDIA thread here at this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
So what should we be interested in at the upcoming 2019 CEDIA:

First, most folks miss Steinway-Lyngdorf, with its not quite $400,000 theatre system, ROOM Perfect optimization, and which last year Nigel/Arrow AV raved and raved about and Nigel personally took me into the demo - several times! Normally, they only allow in dealers. Their demo has super large tall floorstanding line arrays up front, very close to the screen wall, with I thought the best 3D imaging (with the soundstage nicely extending well behind the speakers) by quite a margin.

Wisdom Audio/Trinnov, with all in/on wall speakers, very nice, with very, very impressive bass that in effect lifts you up off your seat at times but not too/so much that the bass was ever fatiguing or bothersome.

Alcons/Storm Audio, with all in/on wall speakers, very nice, I felt close to Wisdom sonically, but the bass didn't lift you up off your seat quite like Wisdom did.

JBL Synthesis always of course is "viewed" by many AVSers as the top of the line home theatrewise! However, perhaps it was where I sat, but to me although all the frequencies and quality sonics were there, the imaging was simply too 2D for me! This year I'll try getting there earlier to get a more central location and "see" if I hear differently.

It was interesting how 2018 CEDIA almost everyone was emphasizing how musical the theatres sounded, playing some musical cuts from blu rays (I thought the 2017 CEDIA was more characterized often by too loud and bass too bloated, lack of musicality, and it appeared most demos had got the message and made nice improvements from a musical standpoint)! I want to emphasize folks should listen for how 3D real life the music sounds and to what extent the sonics extend behind the screen, like with a live performance. And if you want to hear some outstanding stereo music which does this, go no further than MBL speakers, sit and listen there awhile in stereo, and you will have a reference for outstanding 3D imaging which extends well beyond the speakers/screen! And if you do go to MBL, be sure to say hi to Jeremy from Mark Burnstein, who has gobs of MBL speakers!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12964 of 12982 Old 07-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Member
 
gbabu7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Followed the instruction, done the job! I have finished re-configuring to play both Subs now. It's easy if someone know what to do step by step. But tricky, because the olden golden days of computers in 90's when one needed to press F10 to bring up screen for partitioning hard drive, CB config is time and step sensitive.

However, a lots of thanks to Steve and Cannga and John Baloff of Theta CB for helping me cross the river of unknown!!!
cannga likes this.
gbabu7 is offline  
post #12965 of 12982 Old 07-26-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Agreed. Monster of an amp. Really looking at web page of ATI amps is like going to a toy store.
I have the 7 channel 2000 series ATI amp for my ceilings and sides and it is a great amp...can just imagine how the higher end one is. Built well, sounds good, and reliable.

BTW Cannga, I drove the coastal route around Palos Verdes recently on a family Cali coastal road trip and wow what a beautiful area. You're a lucky man! Stereo, P-car and that beautiful area.
cannga likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #12966 of 12982 Old 07-27-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
I have the 7 channel 2000 series ATI amp for my ceilings and sides and it is a great amp...can just imagine how the higher end one is. Built well, sounds good, and reliable.

BTW Cannga, I drove the coastal route around Palos Verdes recently on a family Cali coastal road trip and wow what a beautiful area. You're a lucky man! Stereo, P-car and that beautiful area.


Thank you. I hope the trip was worthwhile. This area would be perfect if we don't have to deal with earthquake. I am among that mountain hugging the coast with many twisty roads; now you know why I was always into modifying my Porsche suspension to make it stiffer LOL.

I hope you still have your monster modified Turbo? (What's the HP output now?)




Off topic - car porn and Los Angeles coastal roads:



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE7813-2 Porsche in Rancho Palos Verdes.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	2595384   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABEE5365.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	2595386  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 07-27-2019 at 02:58 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #12967 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Beautiful pics - thanks for sharing!


Dave
cannga likes this.
thezaks is offline  
post #12968 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,097
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I agree. The LCR and sub are more important. I run McIntosh XR200 $22k LR, with a McIntosh XCS200 center $8k and WS350 surrounds $6k. I have a second pair of WS350s, that are boxed. All prices are retail. Recently bought an ATI 6005 signature to drive it all. No sub yet. Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then. There are many demos I’️ve found with high channel count, where the quality of speakers starts to go down.
Hello BD, congrats on a very nice system coming together! When/if my Krell 5 channel amp fails, the replacement will be an ATI.

Just friendly recommendation for subwoofers: when you're ready check out American internet direct subwoofer companies, such as JTR thread in my signature. Objectively and subjectively smokes anything that more famous guys like JL Audio (which I still own and enjoy, just not as much) could offer.
Thanks. I will check out JTR subs. JL Audio, now that’s some big shoes to fill. JTR looks formidable!

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #12969 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,097
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I agree. The LCR and sub are more important. I run McIntosh XR200 $22k LR, with a McIntosh XCS200 center $8k and WS350 surrounds $6k. I have a second pair of WS350s, that are boxed. All prices are retail. Recently bought an ATI 6005 signature to drive it all. No sub yet. Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then. There are many demos I’ve found with high channel count, where the quality of speakers starts to go down.
Bulldogger:


Congrats on your AT6005. It is a wonderful amp.


Jeff
Yeah! I love it. Ultimately I plan to use two of them. I’m planning to add some McIntosh MC611 to power front channel at some point.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #12970 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,097
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Dedicated room is under construction and sub will have to wait until then.
Congrats on the new room!


Dave
It’s coming along. Tryin to be like Mike, and get a new room https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...ing-neighbors/ . Hope I can get as many Gen 8s as he has too! My room is a bonus room above a 3 car garage.
cannga likes this.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #12971 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
stacy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: West Los Angeles, CA.
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Porsches

Cannga, NICE car...We have something else in common....!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RYA_1786.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	2596102  
cannga and The Bogg like this.
stacy11 is offline  
post #12972 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Thank you. I hope the trip was worthwhile. This area would be perfect if we don't have to deal with earthquake. I am among that mountain hugging the coast with many twisty roads; now you know why I was always into modifying my Porsche suspension to make it stiffer LOL.

I hope you still have your monster modified Turbo? (What's the HP output now?)
Beautiful pics! Reminds me of my road trip only it was in a domestic 5 seater sedan (impala or something) for the family. We did get to experience an earthquake in LA...I don't think I'll buy any real estate there, lol.

Got some Xona turbos on the car now...somewhere north of 800hp.
cannga likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #12973 of 12982 Old 07-29-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Cannga,
I recall you posted many times about the movie Gravity...I'll just cut and paste what I wrote in another thread:

I was in Burbank recently on a California trip and went on the WB studio tour. One of the highlights for me was the "audio mixing for movies" demonstration. It was a well treated room with good acoustics and a bunch of Meyer speakers around the room. The presenter demonstrated how the soundtrack was constructed for the movie Gravity - he played the same scene a few times: first just the vocals, second just the bass, third just the instruments, and fourth with everything together. Very cool demonstration and I highly recommend it to anyone who is in the area doing the tour.
cannga likes this.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #12974 of 12982 Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kishore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
.....It’s coming along. Tryin to be like Mike, and get a new room https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...ing-neighbors/ .

Hope I can get as many Gen 8s as he has too! My room is a bonus room above a 3 car garage.
S1


Hi BD- If you want to get one more GenVIII, there is used S1 on ebay- you could contact Southern Cinema in GA directly- nice guys.



Rgds,

K
cannga likes this.
Kishore is online now  
post #12975 of 12982 Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Off topic Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
Cannga, NICE car...We have something else in common....!
Goodness that is one gorgeous collection of drop dead beautiful Porsche's. Is that a Ruf Carrera RS 2.7 am looking at? Original owner? Do you drive it often? Sorry with all the questions. You really have piqued my interest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Beautiful pics! Reminds me of my road trip only it was in a domestic 5 seater sedan (impala or something) for the family. We did get to experience an earthquake in LA...I don't think I'll buy any real estate there, lol.
Got some Xona turbos on the car now...somewhere north of 800hp.
Very nice! Do the wheels spin in third and fourth gear at this level of power? Real question - really curious.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #12976 of 12982 Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,372
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Cannga,
I recall you posted many times about the movie Gravity...I'll just cut and paste what I wrote in another thread:

I was in Burbank recently on a California trip and went on the WB studio tour. One of the highlights for me was the "audio mixing for movies" demonstration. It was a well treated room with good acoustics and a bunch of Meyer speakers around the room. The presenter demonstrated how the soundtrack was constructed for the movie Gravity - he played the same scene a few times: first just the vocals, second just the bass, third just the instruments, and fourth with everything together. Very cool demonstration and I highly recommend it to anyone who is in the area doing the tour.
Interesting how that Warner Brother studio tour is here in LA and only just now I googled to learn more about it. As is sometimes/often the case, a tourist/visitor by doing careful research knows more than locals!

One interesting thing about Gravity is it's an example of how 3D sound could be achieved with non Atmos layout, if engineers are talented enough. Original release was 2D yet there is buzzing directly overhead towards end of the movie when she came out of the lake.

I don't assume your family released you for an afternoon so you could check out the Porsche Experience Center?

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 07-30-2019 at 07:50 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #12977 of 12982 Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
stacy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: West Los Angeles, CA.
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for the kind words...and yes...good eye, that is exactly what it is...73 RS Carrera, restored by RUF In Germany in the 80's...and no...unfortunately not the original owner. Bought it out of Vermont in 2003...I DO drive it (or DID drive it) a lot, it's an amazing driving car, as you would expect from RUF....

I'm actually very close to putting it up for auction soon....just don't get it out enough any more...PLUS...the Miami Blue GT3 is just TOO amazing, and that one always gets picked for the drives now....



Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Off topic Porsche


Goodness that is one gorgeous collection of drop dead beautiful Porsche's. Is that a Ruf Carrera RS 2.7 am looking at? Original owner? Do you drive it often? Sorry with all the questions. You really have piqued my interest.
stacy11 is offline  
post #12978 of 12982 Old 08-05-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Off topic Porsche


Very nice! Do the wheels spin in third and fourth gear at this level of power? Real question - really curious.
Adjusting the boost curve using an external boost controller is very similar to playing with Dirac - if you want a "house curve" then you can spin the tires in 3rd gear fairly easily. Kind of like having "loudness" on, lol. I eventually came to realize that apart from impressing friends it isn't really how I wanted the car set up so now I have a fairly linear boost curve that comes on gently and pulls like a big block engine. There is less drama at the track or pulling onto onramps and this is better for long-term satisfaction. Can still spin in cooler weather on some surfaces in 3rd gear...

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #12979 of 12982 Old 08-05-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,254
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I don't assume your family released you for an afternoon so you could check out the Porsche Experience Center?
Not this time, maybe next time

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is online now  
post #12980 of 12982 Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 126
So, I tried out a Lyngdorf MP-50 for 3 months, because my previous experience with a McIntosh MX-151 was pretty good and I liked what RoomPerfect did. The MP-50 is a nice unit, but overall, the sound just didn't do it for me. I ran a couple of RP calibrations, and it did help smooth things out, but I kept trying to figure out why I wasn't completely satisfied. In fact, the MX-151 in the same room was better sounding, so I'm betting the MX-160 is really nice.


I wanted to like the MP-50, because of my preconceived notion that RoomPerfect would do better in my horrible room than Dirac Live. I finally took out the MP-50 and put my CBIV back in.






Jaw drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






Holy cow, how could I have gone away from the CBIV? And, I'm using the CBIV, without Dirac Live. The first thing that hit me....no, never mind that....several things hit me. Dynamics, full-bodied, powerful, and musical - definitely much more musical. If you want an absolutely great description of the CBIV, click the link in Can's signature. First of all - great job Can! And, he is absolutely right - on all of his points! Words like spooky, scary, layering, etc, all true.



My CBIV without EQ, in my horrible room, sounds better than any other processor I've heard with or without EQ. Of course, I have not heard the Trinnov in my room, which could be better. However, I've found that I just don't seem to like EQ'd sound in my room - just a personal preference. Yes, it can do some things better, but overall, I like what I'm hearing right now. And, as I've found out, there's a few other CB owners here who run a majority (or all) of the time without DL.



Do yourself a favor and read Can's link in his signature line. I own a CB, and I still get excited to read it and to want to get home and spend some time with my system.




Great job Theta!


Dave
thezaks is offline  
post #12981 of 12982 Old 08-09-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 19,849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
So, I tried out a Lyngdorf MP-50 for 3 months, because my previous experience with a McIntosh MX-151 was pretty good and I liked what RoomPerfect did. The MP-50 is a nice unit, but overall, the sound just didn't do it for me. I ran a couple of RP calibrations, and it did help smooth things out, but I kept trying to figure out why I wasn't completely satisfied. In fact, the MX-151 in the same room was better sounding, so I'm betting the MX-160 is really nice.


I wanted to like the MP-50, because of my preconceived notion that RoomPerfect would do better in my horrible room than Dirac Live. I finally took out the MP-50 and put my CBIV back in.






Jaw drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






Holy cow, how could I have gone away from the CBIV? And, I'm using the CBIV, without Dirac Live. The first thing that hit me....no, never mind that....several things hit me. Dynamics, full-bodied, powerful, and musical - definitely much more musical. If you want an absolutely great description of the CBIV, click the link in Can's signature. First of all - great job Can! And, he is absolutely right - on all of his points! Words like spooky, scary, layering, etc, all true.



My CBIV without EQ, in my horrible room, sounds better than any other processor I've heard with or without EQ. Of course, I have not heard the Trinnov in my room, which could be better. However, I've found that I just don't seem to like EQ'd sound in my room - just a personal preference. Yes, it can do some things better, but overall, I like what I'm hearing right now. And, as I've found out, there's a few other CB owners here who run a majority (or all) of the time without DL.



Do yourself a favor and read Can's link in his signature line. I own a CB, and I still get excited to read it and to want to get home and spend some time with my system.




Great job Theta!


Dave
Dave,

What counts is you are HAPPY with the sonics! I have never heard the CB in your room, only the Lyngdorf MP-50 before room optimization and after and I heard a big positive difference. But you know what your system sounds like. Interesting how earlier on you like the MP-50, but then after living with it for a few months, including pre and post room optimization, you could tell the sonic differences. Over years I have found this so true, that although short term ABs are useful, its the long term that easily counts the most, when you simply listen without trying to and feel viscerally what you like and how it moves you.

When you are ready to try Dirac again if I'm available I'd love to come out, demo pre-Dirac, do Dirac with you and then "see" what we hear! Although again I must emphasize a short-term demo is useful, what will be most important, is once you do Dirac again, is your living with it over a period of time and how you like it. Also, with Dirac, the curve you use can seriously affect the sonics. You should try measuring several Dirac filters (the CB only has one filter at a time, but you can calculate them, save them on a laptop, and load whatever filter you want to use), one full range, maybe one full range with a different slope, and maybe one only up to say 300 Hz or so.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #12982 of 12982 Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thezaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Laveen, AZ
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Dave,

What counts is you are HAPPY with the sonics! I have never heard the CB in your room, only the Lyngdorf MP-50 before room optimization and after and I heard a big positive difference. But you know what your system sounds like. Interesting how earlier on you like the MP-50, but then after living with it for a few months, including pre and post room optimization, you could tell the sonic differences. Over years I have found this so true, that although short term ABs are useful, its the long term that easily counts the most, when you simply listen without trying to and feel viscerally what you like and how it moves you.

When you are ready to try Dirac again if I'm available I'd love to come out, demo pre-Dirac, do Dirac with you and then "see" what we hear! Although again I must emphasize a short-term demo is useful, what will be most important, is once you do Dirac again, is your living with it over a period of time and how you like it. Also, with Dirac, the curve you use can seriously affect the sonics. You should try measuring several Dirac filters (the CB only has one filter at a time, but you can calculate them, save them on a laptop, and load whatever filter you want to use), one full range, maybe one full range with a different slope, and maybe one only up to say 300 Hz or so.

Sounds great Steve! It was great having you over when we calibrated the MP-50. Maybe this time we can have a meal together too :-)


Dave
thezaks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off