The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1351Likes

post #13111 of 13132 Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, of course I'm using a phono preamp, Musical Surroundings Nova II
That steps up the voltage, largely. And needs to be matched and set up properly as to ohms and voltage to the cartridge, which mine is.

By the way, if I wasn't using a phono preamp the output of turntable into analog would be the opposite of the issue I'm describing as to volume, it would be far lower.

The issue I described is that it's the digital inputs that are far lower, and in fact I can't seem to get above 88db in SPL despite having 500w x3 across the front.

Through analog-in by my TT I get substantial volume, but also a crazy subsonic rumble once l get to a high volume. It's not the room or placement, I had it before.

It's not record-dependant, therefore not warp. It may require a subsonic filter but was hoping there was something I could do in the settings before introducing a SS filter. I described that in my original post.

Thanks for the feedback guys, happy Sunday-

-David

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Theta Casablanca IV w/XtremeDac3, McIntosh MC501's x 3, B&W 802D, McIntosh MHA100, Clearaudio Innovation Compact, Aurender N10, Audeze LCD-3, REL, plus plus :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 13132 Old 10-20-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRube1 View Post
That steps up the voltage, largely. And needs to be matched and set up properly as to ohms and voltage to the cartridge, which mine is.

By the way, if I wasn't using a phono preamp the output of turntable into analog would be the opposite of the issue I'm describing as to volume, it would be far lower.

The issue I described is that it's the digital inputs that are far lower, and in fact I can't seem to get above 88db in SPL despite having 500w x3 across the front.

Through analog-in by my TT I get substantial volume, but also a crazy subsonic rumble once l get to a high volume. It's not the room or placement, I had it before.

It's not record-dependant, therefore not warp. It may require a subsonic filter but was hoping there was something I could do in the settings before introducing a SS filter. I described that in my original post.

-David

Often the answer is the simplest solution, the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach to audio video! However, in this case, the answer is not so simple, but more complex. I'm sure John at ATI-Theta will help you sort this out!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #13113 of 13132 Old 10-23-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRube1 View Post

-David

Hello, I have turntable in my system also, but run it with a separate 2 channel preamp. Do you have a spare 2 channel preamp that would allow you to test whether you have the same problem using a "regular" 2 channel preamp? Phono stage ---->2 channel preamp--->amp--->speakers (bypassing Casablanca). I'm hoping this would help to narrow down at least whether it's Casablanca that causes the rumble.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13114 of 13132 Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A minor observation for anyone attempting to do comparison between Dirac versus non Dirac. In my own shootouts, if I am using say, Input 1, listen without Dirac, and then turn on Dirac to compare, what I notice is that the volume levels appear to change with Dirac (and this volume change, being lower, does not favor Dirac). Further checking shows what happens:

SPL levels of speakers without Dirac, in order L-R-C-Subwoofer-LBack-RBack:
75-75-75-75-75-75 (of course it's 75 across, it's calibrated this way)

SPL levels of speakers with Dirac turned on, same order (I altered raw data a little bit to show the point):
75-75-72-74-71-71

What I believe is going on is that because A. my crossover points are set differently between speakers (main is crossed at 40 Hz, surround back at 80 Hz), and B. the Dirac correction curves are different between speakers, relative levels change when you switch Dirac on. Bottom line: For Dirac vs Non Dirac comparisons, use 2 inputs and calibrate speakers level separately, calibrate input 1 without Dirac, and calibrate input 2 with Dirac on, to same SPL at same volume. And switch inputs during comparison (as opposed to using one input and turn Dirac on/off).

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 10-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #13115 of 13132 Old 10-23-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Above is of course corollary to what the manual instructs: final step of Dirac calibration is re-calibrate levels for all channels.

Regards, Can
post #13116 of 13132 Old 11-01-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wow. So all my gear has been stuffed in a closet for 2 1/2 years after a move to Miami. I then get divorced, move to a temporary apartment where I can again do whatever I want and finally start thinking about getting at least some of my audio gear operational again. I wonder: what's going on over at Theta land? Come here and see the bickering is still continuing but wholly sh*t - Steve Bruzonsky no longer owns a Casablanca? Surreal.

I need to get the PSU on my CB (IV) converted to US supply. I wonder if it is sensible to do this now or just run it with an up-converter. It will be a while before I can get multichannel operational but even have a LCR+sub setup would be nice.
Michael Osadciw likes this.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #13117 of 13132 Old 11-04-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Welcome back stevekale!

Dave
post #13118 of 13132 Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
There's a certain pride of ownership in having a well engineered/overkill designed piece of equipment and the converse is true. It always nagged my brain that the power supply and analog board in my old Trinnov ST2 weren't "impressive". I know I know, the end result is the sound. The Trinnov ST2 was good for 2 channel, comparable with the other preamps I had owned/auditioned. But it was bested by the Datasat. I haven't heard the Theta but I bet it sounds amazing with all the attention to detail in the audio design...
The engineering talent the ATI team has is top notch as well. I mean we are talking some of the biggest names, both current and those that will be historical names like Kessler and Reich, in the industry. Now with the addition of the talent from Datasat, I’m not sure there’s more talent “under one roof,” anywhere. Event the list of ex-Theta engineer is legendary. Brands like Ayre, Aesthetix, and Schitt Audio are current brands of former talent.

Further there’s the financial backing of the company. Morris Kessler just buys these AV brands almost like he collects cars, with the latter likely worth more than the Trinnov brand.

I too am stuck on “ over-built gear.” For me to change, I’d like to see a company that could at least try to match the specs of Theta’s best dacs.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #13119 of 13132 Old 11-05-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
... I wonder: what's going on over at Theta land?
CB V upgrades should be ready sooner than you think (by end of year worst case ?)

Regards,
Kishore
Michael Osadciw likes this.
post #13120 of 13132 Old 11-05-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 47
What does PR5 deliver vs the CB IV?

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #13121 of 13132 Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
The new PR5 DSP card is 18 channels, 24-96 processing, so CBV will accomodate for example 3 6 channel D3 DAC cards. Also the latest version of Dirac for SSPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schawla View Post
Some info on the CB V:

- Expected release in about 4 weeks
- 6 Dirac filter slots
- 18 channels, with multiple channel configuration options
- Individual delays/gain adjustments for each siubwoofer
- 4th order high-pass
- New TI DSP, so there will be a HW change; don't know if the unit will have to be sent to Theta for this
- No info on pricing other than that Morris wants to keep the cost of the upgrade to a min; cost will likely be dominated by the 3rd DAC card
Quote:
Apparently the four weeks estimate was incorrect, as the CBV is not available yet and there has been no press release. But "sounds" like its in the near future.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-06-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #13122 of 13132 Old 11-06-2019, 10:03 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
....For me to change, I’d like to see a company that could at least try to match the specs of Theta’s best dacs.
Have you heard about this option?: https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8pro.htm

Testing and specs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-dac-amp.7064/
post #13123 of 13132 Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Quote:
....For me to change, I’️d like to see a company that could at least try to match the specs of Theta’️s best dacs.
Have you heard about this option?: https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8pro.htm

Testing and specs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-dac-amp.7064/
Yes. Good stuff. I should have said prepro’s dacs. There’s a lot of great separates out there.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #13124 of 13132 Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Yes. Good stuff. I should have said prepro’s dacs. There’s a lot of great separates out there.
In a moment of obsessive behavior, I ordered one, delivery TBD. Will it make an audible difference as compared to the Altitude DAC's? Probably not, but we'll see....
post #13125 of 13132 Old 11-14-2019, 02:21 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 514
I am looking to purchase a Theta Dreadnaught 1 box to ship out a Dread 1. PM me if you have a Theta D 1 box you can sell me, thanks
post #13126 of 13132 Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I am looking to purchase a Theta Dreadnaught 1 box to ship out a Dread 1. PM me if you have a Theta D 1 box you can sell me, thanks
I bet that the latest Theta Dreadnaught may have the same box and packing and overall size as the first version that you have. Maybe. Call Theta Tech support and check on this.

post #13127 of 13132 Old 11-14-2019, 04:48 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I bet that the latest Theta Dreadnaught may have the same box and packing and overall size as the first version that you have. Maybe. Call Theta Tech support and check on this.
Thanks, the 3 is slightly longer but the boxes should work well.
post #13128 of 13132 Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 86
After long awaiting finally ATI teams made it again , THETA CB-V will be available soon!!!

CBIVa to CBV changes.

1. Dirac Room Correction System 2, measure up to 18 channels
2. Six Dirac Live Corrections filter can now be stored on the CBV.
3. A new PR 5 with a new DSP , which can support 18 discrete channels. The 18 channel options include the following: 9.1.8; 9.3.6; 9.5.4; 7.3.8; 7.5.6; 5.5.8.
4. A new motherboard to support the 18 discrete channels.
5. First Casablanca unit to support Wide Channels, Front and Rear Heights channels.
6. Upmix options for Dolby signals which includes DTS Surround.
7. Upmix options for DTS signals which includes Dolby Surround.
8. A 24dB/24dB Linkwitz-Riley crossover option.
9. Support for 5 subwoofers with delay and level settings for each of the 5 subwoofer channels.
10. The Master Delay circuit works in 2 MS steps for greater precision of lip sync.
11. Access to the Roll Call Menu via the front panel Version menu.
12. New internal shield configuration for better cooling.
13. eARC support on the HDMI card in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casablanca V Three Quarters.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	2642086  
Stereojeff and G-Rex like this.
post #13129 of 13132 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone else having issues making a roku play dolby atmos through their Casablanca IVA? Any advice? Thanks.
post #13130 of 13132 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post
Anyone else having issues making a roku play dolby atmos through their Casablanca IVA? Any advice? Thanks.
Over a year ago when I had my CBIVA SSP and a Roku Premier (shortly after switched to Apple TV 4k, then switched to a different SSP), I seem to recall the Roku having issues with Dolby Atmos whereas the ATV4k did not (and does not with my current SSP). Do some internet sleuthing re the Roku and I will be you anything that's the culprit!

post #13131 of 13132 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Strange as the roku ultra works fine on my Marantz 7702 in atmos.
post #13132 of 13132 Old Today, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Over a year ago when I had my CBIVA SSP and a Roku Premier (shortly after switched to Apple TV 4k, then switched to a different SSP), I seem to recall the Roku having issues with Dolby Atmos whereas the ATV4k did not (and does not with my current SSP). Do some internet sleuthing re the Roku and I will be you anything that's the culprit!
Quote:
Strange as the roku ultra works fine on my Marantz 7702 in atmos.
Interesting. The fact that your CB works for Atmos with roku ultra and Marantz 7702 yet does not work for atmos with your CBIVA also could be do to the HDMI cable. I have had funny stuff happen with HDMI cables - had issues with Apple TV 4k but then changed to this 4k Belkin cable and all has been great ever since:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-AV1017...4095423&sr=8-3

Try it and let us know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page