The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 439 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1359Likes

post #13141 of 13178 Old 11-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
The # of filters stored isn't really the difference of Dirac 1 vs 2 - its simply the CBV having the hardware ability with software upgraded to store more filters.

As for the differences in the latest Dirac version vs the first version, I think the Dirac website explains this:

https://live.dirac.com/faq/

What is the difference between Dirac Live and DLCT 1.x?

"New Dirac Live includes an enhanced phase correction algorithm for improved imaging. Additionally, where the previous version of Dirac Live individually measured the phase of each speaker, this new version also analyzes speakers in pairs. The measurement process is improved as well (and consequently the results) with the possibility of up to 17 measurements and two options for sofa setting (focused or wide imaging).The new software is designed to be easily modified. The first such update is the bass management addon for Dirac Live, to be released in 2019."

My understanding is that the latest Dirac version is easier to setup and use than the first version as well.

The first SSP version in the CBIV and CBIVA SSPs requires you to make some manual adjustments and is a bit of a pain in the U KNOW WHAT - hopefully this has been simplified with the CBV so that the entire process is easier. We won't know until actual CBV users report on this.

As I have changed SSPs from the CBIVA SSP and am no longer using Dirac, I do not know and am not familiar the extent to which the new Dirac bass module may or may not be incorporated into the CBV. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Thank you, Steve.

Since I have no need for 18 channels, I wonder if this is worth the 2k or so that a CB4a->5 upgrade will inevitably cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13142 of 13178 Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post
Thank you, Steve.

Since I have no need for 18 channels, I wonder if this is worth the 2k or so that a CB4a->5 upgrade will inevitably cost.
You have to decide that! Its possible that the new DSP card in and of itself may sound better - in the past this has been the case. And in your system the latest Dirac version and its bass management may sound better, too. Note I say MAY! Then there is the potential that you get more channels available and you get the further upgrade bug - I'm an expert on that one! I think if you call John at Theta Tech support and discuss your system, etc with him he will give you honest pros and cons of what you may anticipate if you upgrade but add no more DACs or channels. John is a great guy and over many many years I always found him to be totally competent, honest and if anything understated when it comes to sonic improvements I experienced!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #13143 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 AM

The latest issue of Widescreen Review reviews the Thete Casablanca IVA SSP!

https://www.widescreenreview.com/

(Review only available online to paid subscribers - like me)

The review mentions the upcoming Casablanca V - but the reviewer Doug Blackburn only had the IVA SSP. The reviewer states that its the only SSP he's reviewed with analog bypass which sounds outstanding.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-25-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13144 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Yes. Good stuff. I should have said prepro’️s dacs. There’️s a lot of great separates out there.
In a moment of obsessive behavior, I ordered one, delivery TBD. Will it make an audible difference as compared to the Altitude DAC's? Probably not, but we'll see....
The dacs are only part of the story. The bigger part or at least equal part depending on your source is volume control once the signal is analog. See Widescreen Review for a discussion of Theta’s analog volume control.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #13145 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweltman View Post
Quote:
The # of filters stored isn't really the difference of Dirac 1 vs 2 - its simply the CBV having the hardware ability with software upgraded to store more filters.

As for the differences in the latest Dirac version vs the first version, I think the Dirac website explains this:

https://live.dirac.com/faq/

What is the difference between Dirac Live and DLCT 1.x?

"New Dirac Live includes an enhanced phase correction algorithm for improved imaging. Additionally, where the previous version of Dirac Live individually measured the phase of each speaker, this new version also analyzes speakers in pairs. The measurement process is improved as well (and consequently the results) with the possibility of up to 17 measurements and two options for sofa setting (focused or wide imaging).The new software is designed to be easily modified. The first such update is the bass management addon for Dirac Live, to be released in 2019."

My understanding is that the latest Dirac version is easier to setup and use than the first version as well.

The first SSP version in the CBIV and CBIVA SSPs requires you to make some manual adjustments and is a bit of a pain in the U KNOW WHAT - hopefully this has been simplified with the CBV so that the entire process is easier. We won't know until actual CBV users report on this.

As I have changed SSPs from the CBIVA SSP and am no longer using Dirac, I do not know and am not familiar the extent to which the new Dirac bass module may or may not be incorporated into the CBV. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Thank you, Steve.

I run three Gen VIII dacs with my server running Dirac. The sound will be improved with the new Dirac. So if Theta doesn’t add the new Dirac to the IVa then it’s worth the upgrade to the V for the new Dirac and additional filters and bass management alone. Theta really should add an option for Auro 3D as well. I see Auro 3D listed in the Widescreen Review article but have no knowledge of it being added.

post #13146 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Seems to be in the ballpark of the new Storm Elite Mk2 (20 channel) vs the Theta at 18 channels. Perhaps the Storm is a bit more $ than the base Theta. That would be an interesting A/B shootout.
Depends on dac configuration in the Casablanca. The D-3 Extremes aren’t giving any ground at minimum to anything else on market. Both processors are running Dirac so the edge would likely go to Theta. I haven’t heard the Storm however so it’s speculation. I have heard most of the other competitors. I do like what Storm Audio is doing. The company is a welcome addition to the market.

post #13147 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I run three Gen VIII dacs with my server running Dirac. The sound will be improved with the new Dirac. So if Theta doesn’t add the new Dirac to the IVa then it’s worth the upgrade to the V for the new Dirac and additional filters and bass management alone. Theta really should add an option for Auro 3D as well. I see Auro 3D listed in the Widescreen Review article but have no knowledge of it being added.
😊😊

I suspect you are right in this prognostication. But are you state, you run three Gen VIII dacs with your server (my understanding is custom built PC server with 5.1 channel coaxial digital outs - that you are not using the Casablanca at this time. With your newly built theater are you going to at some point get the CBV using the digital out card with your three Gen VIIIs?

Gee, as a longtime CB owner (though not now as recently changed SSPs) I brought up here on this forum, and directly with Morris Kessler, that the CB should have both Auro 3D and be ROON Ready. Of course Cannga got after me saying I had no business here in this thread because I no longer have the CB (though I certainly could in the future if a new version has the features, etc that I want) - even though I continue to use ATI, ATI manufactured and Theta amplifiers! I think the issue, from past talks with Morris at CEDIA 2018, is that the TI card in the CB simply doesn't offer Auro 3D as a feature. After the CBV, the grapevine indicates that to continue with the CB platform that Theta will get a new at least 30 channel DSP card that is to be developed, whether from TI or another vendor, one that hopefully is capable of Auro 3D. As for ROON Ready, I suspect that Morris felt that the added cost for how many CB owners wanted that feature (me - anyone else?) just wasn't worthwhile at least for the CBV. But down the line when essentially a newer CB platform with at least 30 channels is offered (again, this is somewhat speculative on my part, Theta could choose to maintain the 18 channel SSP format for years to come as by far most even "high end" home theater luvers will not use more than 18 channels), I suspect it is more likely that ROON Ready would be included as well as Auro 3D.

post #13148 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 04:46 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
The dacs are only part of the story. The bigger part or at least equal part depending on your source is volume control once the signal is analog. See Widescreen Review for a discussion of Theta’s analog volume control.
Written by the same guy who said "I’ve never heard music sound better than it sounds through the Altitude32"? The DACs and 64bit FP digital volume control can't be too bad, I guess. Meanwhile, I will try the Okto because I can, but I'm not holding my breath for notable improvement.

IMHO Blackburn's a tool, as evidenced before on these boards.

Last edited by RUR; 11-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #13149 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Written by the same guy who said "I’ve never heard music sound better than it sounds through the Altitude32"? The DACs and 64bit FP digital volume control can't be too bad, I guess. Meanwhile, I will try the Okto because I can, but I'm not holding my breath for notable improvement.

Blackburn writes good reviews from a magazine standpoint. But language therein is generally open to interpretation because AV magazines are designed to make $$ by selling advertising. {Theta has advertised in Widescreen Review in the past - but I saw no ATI or Theta ads in this issue!). So we know that AV mags are biased. And enthusiasts/home users have their own biases, as well. When you are spending a lot of $$ for high end audio video gear, its best to demo for yourself if you can. In my case, I bought my new Altitude 32 SSP late Sept 2018, it sat for like 5 months as I enjoyed my Theta CBIVA SSP, I went through an appendix rupture last December and survived even healthier than before, and finally end of Feb 2019 I installed the Alt32. After a few weeks, I put the CBIVA back in for a few weeks. And I found that I missed my new SSP so I put it back in, never looked back, and sold my CBIVA. I got a decent deal on the Alt 32, still spent lots of $$ on it, and I planned to use it for awhile, and I would keep the SSP (CBIVA or Alt32) which I felt better fit my needs. One BIG criteria was that I had to feel from an emotional and toe tappin' standpoint that the new SSP was at least as good sounding as my prior SSP. But here I will be like Blackburn in his reviews - and I won't say anything further. HA!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 11-25-2019 at 08:56 PM.
post #13150 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The dacs are only part of the story. The bigger part or at least equal part depending on your source is volume control once the signal is analog. See Widescreen Review for a discussion of Theta’️s analog volume control.
Written by the same guy who said "I’️ve never heard music sound better than it sounds through the Altitude32"? The DACs and 64bit FP digital volume control can't be too bad, I guess. Meanwhile, I will try the Okto because I can, but I'm not holding my breath for notable improvement.

Wrong guy!🤣Movies sound great. I can give you a long list of gear that is better than Trinnov and the Theta Casablanca with music. Both processors however are good products with both music and movies. I think Theta is better with music than Trinnov and equal to it with movies but demo wasn’t controlled enough to say for certain. In cases like that, I fall back to build and specs where Theta clearly wins.

I use Jriver which uses a 64 bit volume control. However, the analog volume control in my Gen VIII is certainly better. Not sure if you notice but most external dac upgrades usually involve upgrading the analog side more so than changing dac chips.

I’ve always enjoyed Blackburn’s reviews and Widescreen Review. I use reviews as a guide. I’m glad to get his opinion. I read all Doug’s reviews.

post #13151 of 13178 Old 11-25-2019, 08:38 PM

At least my opinion is based on owning and using both processors for months and months with my own theater and ear/brain and toe tappin'. Wonder when Bulldogger is going to start using a SSP again - if ever?

post #13152 of 13178 Old 11-27-2019, 11:07 AM

If any Theta CB SSP or potential Theta CB SSP owners are interested in Theta Digital getting their SSPs to be ROON Ready, please see and post in the following thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...questions.html

post #13153 of 13178 Old 11-27-2019, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 91
CB V just start to ship 1st unit on this Black Friday!!! ( Unfortunately in USA first )
post #13154 of 13178 Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyarat View Post
CB V just start to ship 1st unit on this Black Friday!!! ( Unfortunately in USA first )
In the past new units of the latest CB SSP have always been available PRIOR to the upgrades of prior CB SSPs to the latest version being available. Does anyone know if the upgrades are available now, or when, and confirm the price of the upgrade from CBIV or CBIVA to CBV?

post #13155 of 13178 Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
In the past new units of the latest CB SSP have always been available PRIOR to the upgrades of prior CB SSPs to the latest version being available. Does anyone know if the upgrades are available now, or when, and confirm the price of the upgrade from CBIV or CBIVA to CBV?
I thought these Upgrade price MSRP on Base unit won't be confidential for more detail please contact your local dealers or John

A CB4A to CB5 upgrade is $3,995.00 MSRP.
A CB4 to CB5 upgrade is $4,995.00 MSRP.
post #13156 of 13178 Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyarat View Post
I thought these Upgrade price MSRP on Base unit won't be confidential for more detail please contact your local dealers or John

A CB4A to CB5 upgrade is $3,995.00 MSRP.
A CB4 to CB5 upgrade is $4,995.00 MSRP.
So who has ordered either a brand new CBV, or scheduled an upgrade to a CBV?

post #13157 of 13178 Old 12-05-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
So who has ordered either a brand new CBV, or scheduled an upgrade to a CBV?
Even better than ordering one is to have one arrive..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casablanca V Front.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	677.7 KB
ID:	2649784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Casablanca V Back.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	2649786  

John
post #13158 of 13178 Old 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post

Awesome - congrats!

Dave
post #13159 of 13178 Old 12-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Very nice, congrats! Let's have a complete report asap!
post #13160 of 13178 Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Congrats. Very nice. Brand new, or did you upgrade from a previous CB model IV or IVA?

Tell us about your home theater system! Are you making any changes to your amplifiers and or speakers now that you have the CBV?

And if you had a prior CB version, after you have it awhile, can you hear a difference/improvement sonically?

And of course fill us in on the latest Dirac version and how it does for bass management?

Thanks.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-05-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #13161 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
Thanks - it will probably take awhile to report - I have all the hardware but am waiting for the room treatments from RPG..

John
post #13162 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Congrats. Very nice. Brand new, or did you upgrade from a previous CB model IV or IVA?
Thanks Steve - this is a brand new install - we recently completed a new home build in Florida.. I ordered a CBIVa quite awhile ago, and was thrilled to hear that I was getting a CBV instead - and the very first one too!

Quote:
Tell us about your home theater system! Are you making any changes to your amplifiers and or speakers now that you have the CBV?
I am duplicating much of what I have in my current HT.. It will be a 7.1.4 Atmos/DTS:X setup

4 Klipsch ceiling speakers powered with a ATI 4 channel amp

8 bed speakers - all Wilson - all powered with a Theta Prometheus mono amp..

Even though this new room is smaller, I'm going with the Sony 5000ES again..

Quote:
And if you had a prior CB version, after you have it awhile, can you hear a difference/improvement sonically?
I expect it will sound great as does the CBIV

Quote:
And of course fill us in on the latest Dirac version and how it does for bass management?
Will do..
Marc Alexander likes this.

John
post #13163 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 257
John,
does that mean you are leaving southern Ontario?

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #13164 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
John,
does that mean you are leaving southern Ontario?
Oh no.. will be going back and forth between Canada and Florida..

John
post #13165 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM

WOW! 2 Sony VW5000s in two separate rooms in two separate counties! Gee, I only have 1 Sony VW5000 in one country! "Sounds" like nice dual setups!

post #13166 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WOW! 2 Sony VW5000s in two separate rooms in two separate counties! Gee, I only have 1 Sony VW5000 in one country! "Sounds" like nice dual setups!
The dealer suggested I go with the Sony 995 as the room is smaller - but I just love the picture of the 5000, and I'm sure the 5000 lumens is a big reason why..

same with the Casablanca - it sounds great, so had no reason to listen to something else like what you moved to..it's next to impossible to evaluate anymore, so stick with what you are happy with.

John

Last edited by MC Maniac; 12-06-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: extra word
post #13167 of 13178 Old 12-06-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 257
John, how big is the new room? which city in Florida? I would have been first in line for your place in Southern Ontario if it were for sale, lol. j/k I'm too far from retirement with 3 young girls...

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #13168 of 13178 Old 12-07-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
John, how big is the new room? which city in Florida? I would have been first in line for your place in Southern Ontario if it were for sale, lol. j/k I'm too far from retirement with 3 young girls...

the room is 17' x 20' - we are on the Gulf in St. Petersburgh area..

John
post #13169 of 13178 Old 12-07-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
Thanks - it will probably take awhile to report - I have all the hardware but am waiting for the room treatments from RPG..
RPG has some great stuff! I own a bunch of Skylines. RPG is sure to improve your room. Dirac is great but as you know, they still recommend treatments. Thanks for the pics of your new unit.

post #13170 of 13178 Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RPG has some great stuff! I own a bunch of Skylines. RPG is sure to improve your room. Dirac is great but as you know, they still recommend treatments. Thanks for the pics of your new unit.

Yes RPG did my current HT too - I do like their products - both from an acoustic and aesthetic standpoint..

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page