The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1374Likes

post #13171 of 13229 Old 12-07-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 131
John, stay with the 5000. Don't go with the 995. The 5000 is spectacular with HDR. Calibrated a half dozen of them and each time they blow me away with the highlights it can throw out at the screen.

I had no idea there were three of us Southern Ontario guys in this thread. Cool. Surprising because Theta representation in Ontario is nil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 13229 Old 12-07-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
John, stay with the 5000. Don't go with the 995. The 5000 is spectacular with HDR. Calibrated a half dozen of them and each time they blow me away with the highlights it can throw out at the screen.
No worries about getting a 995, as I already have the 5000..

The 5000 I have in Canada replaced a Projection Design model - and there's no comparison.. - It's a huge step up and worth the extra cost..

John
post #13173 of 13229 Old 12-07-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
RPG has some great stuff! I own a bunch of Skylines. RPG is sure to improve your room. Dirac is great but as you know, they still recommend treatments. Thanks for the pics of your new unit.
I don't know if John has posted pics of his Southern Ontario room but it has more RPG in it than probably any other room anywhere! Seriously. Big room, lots of surface area.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13174 of 13229 Old 12-07-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post
No worries about getting a 995, as I already have the 5000..

The 5000 I have in Canada replaced a Projection Design model - and there's no comparison.. - It's a huge step up and worth the extra cost..
When the 5000 came out I did think it would be perfect for you. And obviously so did you, lol.

congrats on the Florida build, I'm sure it will be amazing like your other hts. Do post pics when it's done.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #13175 of 13229 Old 12-08-2019, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Casablanca V now on Theta website
https://www.thetadigital.com
post #13176 of 13229 Old 12-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
***HELP***CB IV 'Tape-Out" question...something simple not so simple

Happy Sunday fellow CB enthusiasts. I have a question and hoping the forum can help me.

For the first time I'm having a use to use the tape-out connections, and it appears to only be sending out the analog input signals, through the analog outputs...I suppose this makes sense in some way; but I need the 'tape-out' to send any of my selected inputs to the 'tape-out' outputs, specifically, and more importantly, the digital inputs sent to the analog 'tape-outs'. Is this in any way possible? I've looked throughout the set-up menus, of which I'm reasonably familiar and haven't come across anything that gives any menu selections like I'm describing.

If it helps, my particular application is to feed this signal to the Sonos Connect/Port to send the same source I'm playing on the Casablanca throughout my whole-house Sonos network. What I'm describing only works if I select an analog source, telling me only the analog inputs are sent to the analog tape-out' outputs. But whether this is a Sonos-specific question or not, I can also see the value of being able to send out any selected input to the analog outs, and like I say, I haven't been able to find anything in the set-up menus that give any source-selections.

If anyone has any direct knowledge or feedback on this it would be a big help to me. (I just politely request any responses are directly in response to my question, not something unrelated like 'just set up another system {for example})

Thank you in advance everyone-

-David

Theta Casablanca IV w/XtremeDac3, McIntosh MC501's x 3, B&W 802D, McIntosh MHA100, Clearaudio Innovation Compact, Aurender N10, Audeze LCD-3, REL, plus plus :)
post #13177 of 13229 Old 12-08-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's been a while since I used tape out. IIRC you need to set it it to use the main DAC to send digital inputs to the analog outs unless you have a special card. I don't recall where this setting is or if it carried over to CB IV. Or if it's possible with all DACs. I think that there's a jumper required on the DAC also.

I'd suggest giving John Baloff at Theta a call.

Les
post #13178 of 13229 Old 12-09-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyarat View Post
Casablanca V now on Theta website [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
https://www.thetadigital.com
New motherboard. Guess that was required so CB5 could route 18 channels. The most intriguing part for me is the description of the new MB,” The advent of the new motherboards will give the unit greater flexibility to address an ever changing audio video world.” Vague but there were of course limits to what could be added to old board. There is a free slot in the chassis too.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #13179 of 13229 Old 12-17-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Hopefully, we will eventually get more HDMI Inputs.
post #13180 of 13229 Old 12-17-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post
Hopefully, we will eventually get more HDMI Inputs.
The Casablanca platform has since its inception been based on vertical cards. MDS, the HDMI card supplier, only has manufactured a vertical HDMI card with one HDMI in and four HDMI outs, and due to spacing requirements of the HDMI card, this doesn't look likely to ever change.

Newer designed SSP platforms tend to horizontal audio and video input/outputs, and use an MDS horizontal card which can accomodate more HDMI inputs and outputs.

So the existing Theta Casablanca platform is limited in terms of 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.

I have heard rumblings that the next Casablanca may have an entirely new horizontal base with 30 channels - but ATI-Theta has at times mentioned a possible upcoming project which never was, like the SSP to replace the Theta Casanova SSP. If you need more HDMI inputs or outputs there are HDMI switchers out there. And if you are total high end on video with say a top line JVC or Sony projector, then if you use a Lumagen Radiance Pro for HDR tone mapping, and also HDMI switching, then you simply route all video HDMI sources to the Lumagen, and then Lumagen HDMI out to projector, and Lumagen HDMI out to SSP.
WMJ likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #13181 of 13229 Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

I had no idea there were three of us Southern Ontario guys in this thread. Cool. Surprising because Theta representation in Ontario is nil.
Maybe that will change. I’ve been communicating with a new dealer for Theta that has sold two new CBVs and one upgrade. There are a lot of great custom installers around, hopefully more will pick up Theta and perhaps in Ontario.

post #13182 of 13229 Old 12-19-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post
Hopefully, we will eventually get more HDMI Inputs. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
if you look at the rear panels of the processors that have hdmi connectors that run horizontally across the top of the other connections, there will typically be a chassis fan. With the Casablanca being a fan-less, audiophile design with venting along the top, I don’t think it’s possible to add more hdmi inputs in that manner. To stay fan-less I believe Theta would need a bigger taller chassis to allow more vertical hdmi connections.

I’m sure keeping the cost of upgrades reasonable is part of the design considerations as of course a larger chassis will add cost. Yesterday i emailed John at Theta was surprised to find that going all the way from a CB3 to the new CB5 was priced reasonably relative to the cost of other processors and to my ears the superior sound quality of Theta with music in particular.

post #13183 of 13229 Old 12-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
The Casablanca platform has since its inception been based on vertical cards. MDS, the HDMI card supplier, only has manufactured a vertical HDMI card with one HDMI in and four HDMI outs, and due to spacing requirements of the HDMI card, this doesn't look likely to ever change. Newer designed SSP platforms tend to horizontal audio and video input/outputs, and use an MDS horizontal card which can accomodate more HDMI inputs and outputs. So the existing Theta Casablanca platform is limited in terms of 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. I have heard rumblings that the next Casablanca may have an entirely new horizontal base with 30 channels - but ATI-Theta has at times mentioned a possible upcoming project which never was, like the SSP to replace the Theta Casanova SSP. If you need more HDMI inputs or outputs there are HDMI switchers out there. And if you are total high end on video with say a top line JVC or Sony projector, then if you use a Lumagen Radiance Pro for HDR tone mapping, and also HDMI switching, then you simply route all video HDMI sources to the Lumagen, and then Lumagen HDMI out to projector, and Lumagen HDMI out to SSP.
Quote:
if you look at the rear panels of the processors that have hdmi connectors that run horizontally across the top of the other connections, there will typically be a chassis fan. With the Casablanca being a fan-less, audiophile design with venting along the top, I don’t think it’s possible to add more hdmi inputs in that manner. To stay fan-less I believe Theta would need a bigger taller chassis to allow more vertical hdmi connections. I’m sure keeping the cost of upgrades reasonable is part of the design considerations as of course a larger chassis will add cost. Yesterday i emailed John at Theta was surprised to find that going all the way from a CB3 to the new CB5 was priced reasonably relative to the cost of other processors and to my ears the superior sound quality of Theta with music in particular.
I don't think a bigger taller chassis is in the cards! First, the chassis is the tallest among SSPs already. Second, MDS in not going to design a bigger taller HDMI card with more inputs and outputs only for Theta Digital. The Theta Casablanca with vertical cards is the very first card cage designed, upgradeable, SSP which came out late 1996. This basic vertical card platform hasn't changed in all these years. Other SSPs that have come out recently in the age of HDMI have gone the horizonal card route. The question is whether Theta in the future will do the same? And if so, this would be quite the revision, going from vertical to horizontal, as DACs, etc would all have to be revised to fit in horizontally. Only time will tell.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #13184 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The Casablanca platform has since its inception been based on vertical cards. MDS, the HDMI card supplier, only has manufactured a vertical HDMI card with one HDMI in and four HDMI outs, and due to spacing requirements of the HDMI card, this doesn't look likely to ever change. Newer designed SSP platforms tend to horizontal audio and video input/outputs, and use an MDS horizontal card which can accomodate more HDMI inputs and outputs. So the existing Theta Casablanca platform is limited in terms of 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. I have heard rumblings that the next Casablanca may have an entirely new horizontal base with 30 channels - but ATI-Theta has at times mentioned a possible upcoming project which never was, like the SSP to replace the Theta Casanova SSP. If you need more HDMI inputs or outputs there are HDMI switchers out there. And if you are total high end on video with say a top line JVC or Sony projector, then if you use a Lumagen Radiance Pro for HDR tone mapping, and also HDMI switching, then you simply route all video HDMI sources to the Lumagen, and then Lumagen HDMI out to projector, and Lumagen HDMI out to SSP.
Quote:
if you look at the rear panels of the processors that have hdmi connectors that run horizontally across the top of the other connections, there will typically be a chassis fan. With the Casablanca being a fan-less, audiophile design with venting along the top, I don’️t think it’️s possible to add more hdmi inputs in that manner. To stay fan-less I believe Theta would need a bigger taller chassis to allow more vertical hdmi connections. I’️m sure keeping the cost of upgrades reasonable is part of the design considerations as of course a larger chassis will add cost. Yesterday i emailed John at Theta was surprised to find that going all the way from a CB3 to the new CB5 was priced reasonably relative to the cost of other processors and to my ears the superior sound quality of Theta with music in particular.
I don't think a bigger taller chassis is in the cards! First, the chassis is the tallest among SSPs already. Second, MDS in not going to design a bigger taller HDMI card with more inputs and outputs only for Theta Digital. The Theta Casablanca with vertical cards is the very first card cage designed, upgradeable, SSP which came out late 1996. This basic vertical card platform hasn't changed in all these years. Other SSPs that have come out recently in the age of HDMI have gone the horizonal card route.
It has zero to do with when a processor was designed and all to do with thermal dynamics. Heat rises and a passively cooled component can not run cards horizontally .The laws of physics have not changed. If you run horizontally that typically means a FAN depending on thermal load. You’d certainly have to move to a switch mode power supply. Personally I don’t buy preamps with fans. If I can have an engineer design custom pcb, for mods I want anybody can. If it is not feasible and the choice is running a card horizontally with a fan or having less hdmi inputs, I chose less.

Regardless, the CBV is almost perfect for my needs. Never would I have envisioned that Theta would bring the processor to 18 channels! That’s all I will ever need.

It wasn’t new when Theta chose to use an analog volume control at the inception of the processor either. What was and is now still, is the determination to build a processor for audiophiles. Sure it’s cheaper to run a digital volume control. Yeah some of the newer processors do that too. 😉 I would point anyone to the Widescreen Review article for the discussion of the Casablanca’s superior volume control. Digital volume control and fans aren’t new stuff.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 12-20-2019 at 04:00 AM.
post #13185 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 850
That may be the general rule, but there are exceptions. McIntosh’s MX series of processors has a horizontal silicon board design with no fans. It uses passive cooling. As such the MX160 ran very warm, bordering hot. The new MX170 with its improved/more efficient silicon runs significantly cooler, also with no fans. McIntosh has the top cover and lower plate heavily vented. The horizontal main board with the bulk of its processing is on top, so that likely saves the day and allows most of the heat to rise unobstructed out of the top vented case panel, but it’s more of a static design. I agree, I would rather have no fans in my SSP and amps for that matter.

Last edited by G-Rex; 12-20-2019 at 06:00 AM.
post #13186 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 AM

The fan on my SSP that replaced the CBIVA SSP is dead quiet as far as I can hear - no difference than when I had the CBIVA SSP!

Since the Casablanca is a home theater SSP, if you took a poll, most probably by far most owners would rather have more HDMI inputs and outputs. Just like back in the CBIII days few owners had Six Shooters.

As for volume control, one can theorize, and one can listen. The end result of my current SSP is that its digital volume control (in combination with its DACs and software programming I guess) sounds (for whatever reason) more transparent to me than when I had the CBIVA SSP. And I'm talking about using audiophile well recorded not overly compressed 2 and multi-channel music with ROON as music software, not just movies. And several audiophile friends familiar with my system have agreed! Sure, this result surprised me, given the CB's superior build quality - but after all, this is an "audiophile" hobby where both subjectivism and objectivism are important!

Of course, that was with the CBIVA SSP. The CBV SSP has a new DSP board so I don't have experience in my dedicated home theater to contrast that.

post #13187 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
It has zero to do with when a processor was designed and all to do with thermal dynamics. Heat rises and a passively cooled component can not run cards horizontally .The laws of physics have not changed. If you run horizontally that typically means a FAN depending on thermal load. You’d certainly have to move to a switch mode power supply. Personally I don’t buy preamps with fans. If I can have an engineer design custom pcb, for mods I want anybody can. If it is not feasible and the choice is running a card horizontally with a fan or having less hdmi inputs, I chose less.

Regardless, the CBV is almost perfect for my needs. Never would I have envisioned that Theta would bring the processor to 18 channels! That’s all I will ever need.

It wasn’t new when Theta chose to use an analog volume control at the inception of the processor either. What was and is now still, is the determination to build a processor for audiophiles. Sure it’s cheaper to run a digital volume control. Yeah some of the newer processors do that too. 😉 I would point anyone to the Widescreen Review article for the discussion of the Casablanca’s superior volume control. Digital volume control and fans aren’t new stuff.
You may want to inquire as to whether the CB V has a fan.
post #13188 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Quote:
It has zero to do with when a processor was designed and all to do with thermal dynamics. Heat rises and a passively cooled component can not run cards horizontally .The laws of physics have not changed. If you run horizontally that typically means a FAN depending on thermal load. You’️d certainly have to move to a switch mode power supply. Personally I don’️t buy preamps with fans. If I can have an engineer design custom pcb, for mods I want anybody can. If it is not feasible and the choice is running a card horizontally with a fan or having less hdmi inputs, I chose less.

Regardless, the CBV is almost perfect for my needs. Never would I have envisioned that Theta would bring the processor to 18 channels! That’️s all I will ever need.

It wasn’️t new when Theta chose to use an analog volume control at the inception of the processor either. What was and is now still, is the determination to build a processor for audiophiles. Sure it’️s cheaper to run a digital volume control. Yeah some of the newer processors do that too. 😉 I would point anyone to the Widescreen Review article for the discussion of the Casablanca’️s superior volume control. Digital volume control and fans aren’️t new stuff.
You may want to inquire as to whether the CB V has a fan.
Damn. Years ago, an engineer from a rival company explained the likely problems a designer faces as processing increases. He did tell me, they’d have to use a fan if Theta continued in the same chassis.. If Theta still used separate power supplies, there wouldn’t be a problem. Do you still own a Casablanca?

Last edited by Bulldogger; 12-20-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #13189 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Damn. Years ago, an engineer from a rival company explained the likely problems a designer faces as processing increases. He did tell me, they’d have to use a fan if Theta continued in the same chassis.. If Theta still used separate power supplies, there wouldn’t be a problem. Do you still own a Casablanca?
Yes, but I have not gotten the upgrade so I cannot speak authoritatively. I did hear that the new PR5 card going to 18 channels needs some added airflow. John B will surely be able to be definitive.

I understand your concern but new tech fans can be very quiet. I have Noctua fans in my PCs and I cannot hear them. Let us know if you hear from John B.
post #13190 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Quote:
Damn. Years ago, an engineer from a rival company explained the likely problems a designer faces as processing increases. He did tell me, they’️d have to use a fan if Theta continued in the same chassis.. If Theta still used separate power supplies, there wouldn’️t be a problem. Do you still own a Casablanca?
Yes, but I have not gotten the upgrade so I cannot speak authoritatively. I did hear that the new PR5 card going to 18 channels needs some added airflow. John B will surely be able to be definitive.

I understand your concern but new tech fans can be very quiet. I have Noctua fans in my PCs and I cannot hear them. Let us know if you hear from John B.
A fan on rubber isolation on one of the shields .

post #13191 of 13229 Old 12-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Talking about "fans", I am a FAN of Auro 3D. Clarification - does the CBV have Auro 3D? I checked prior posts in this thread going back the past month or so and the CBV features listed didn't mention of Auro 3D. Interesting that back in January 2015 Theta Digital announced that the CBV would have 24 channels (turned out to be 18) and also Auro 3D:

https://hometheaterreview.com/theta-...lanca-prepros/

A few posts from the Trinnov thread here explain I think why Auro 3D is so excellent in adding ambience and not detracting from the front soundstage, etc for two channel music:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Your advice is exactly what I suggested to him several posts ago.

markmon, just to reconfirm why audioguy & I suggest Auro as an alternative, it creates or adds ambience. This is not the same as Dolby & DTS which extract out-of-phase sound and steer it to other speakers. Auro preserves a front soundstage but adds time delay, reverb, other ambience recovery to the L/R signals, sends that to the surrounds & heights. Auro also creates a center. It is not the same as adding Dolby Surround & DTS Neural X and doesn't sound like either one. It's great for stereo enhancement w/o changing 2 channel stereo soundstage. Of course you can increase the effect to make it more reverb-y but you control the degree of effect. Set at moderate levels, it enhances but doesn't change stereo's front soundstage. Probably not unlike Yamaha's presence speakers, although I've not listened to a Yamaha AVR.

Auro3D encoded movies are pretty much non-existent in the US but there is Auro encoded music available from sites like 2L. But the vast majority of us are using AuroMatic to enhance plain 2 ch & even 5.1 multichannel music and like it...a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
This is a change of "conventional wisdom". When Auromatic first came out, it got heavily bashed on the Dolby Atmos thread as a rejiggered "all channel stereo" adding artificial reverb, and the prevailing thought, driven by a few "thought leaders" was to pretend it didn't exist. Of course, those D&M users having to pay $200 extra for it at the time had something to do with that .

However, then I started seeing calibrators I respect here on the Trinnov thread suggest that Auromatic, at least for music, was preferable because it did the least harm to the stereo image of the soundstage for two-channel music, rather enhancing spaciousness in the room without artificial frequency steering artifacts. The key was to control the parameters for the Auro effect, as well as the "room size".
I have never particularly cared for Dolby and DTS expansion of 2 channel to multi-channel, preferring straight stereo. This was with my prior Theta Casablanca SSP for many years and upgrades and now the same with the Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP. But I really like Auro 3D for stereo with my now taken down 5.2.4 system and can't wait to hear it when my theater renovation is complete with my 9.9.13 system!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 12-20-2019 at 01:02 PM.
post #13192 of 13229 Old 12-25-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRube1 View Post
For the first time I'm having a use to use the tape-out connections, and it appears to only be sending out the analog input signals, through the analog outputs...I suppose this makes sense in some way; but I need the 'tape-out' to send any of my selected inputs to the 'tape-out' outputs, specifically, and more importantly, the digital inputs sent to the analog 'tape-outs'. Is this in any way possible? I've looked throughout the set-up menus, of which I'm reasonably familiar and haven't come across anything that gives any menu selections like I'm describing.

If it helps, my particular application is to feed this signal to the Sonos Connect/Port to send the same source I'm playing on the Casablanca throughout my whole-house Sonos network. What I'm describing only works if I select an analog source, telling me only the analog inputs are sent to the analog tape-out' outputs. But whether this is a Sonos-specific question or not, I can also see the value of being able to send out any selected input to the analog outs, and like I say, I haven't been able to find anything in the set-up menus that give any source-selections.
Hello David, if I understand you correctly, I seem to have achieved the above without needing to do anything special. Selected Input Source to Analog Tape Out should be automatic, as it should be, and it seems to be the case with Casablanca.

In my case, test is done with Sony Blu-ray player connecting to Theta via (DIGITAL) HDMI 2 input, and Casablanca's ANALOG Tape Out in the back connecting to my headphone amp. Playing 2 channel CD music, I got sound immediately and it's behaving appropriately, ie volume change in Casablanca doesn't affect it.

There is instruction in the THICK and !!NON INDEXED!! ( feeling Grinchy this morning) Theta manual, on page 50. However, when you push the Tape Out button on front panel of Casablanca, the option to change input source is no longer available, at least in my CB IVa. The options are blanked out and/or non responsive. It seems to now default to "selected input" as source, which is "normal" and should be fine in your case. I did not test Digital Tape Out. There is mentioning of a "Optional Tape Out DAC" in the old CBIII HD manual and I have no idea what it is. Hope this helps and good luck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8753 low res.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2658724  
DMRube1 likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 12-25-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #13193 of 13229 Old 12-25-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post
Even better than ordering one is to have one arrive..

Wow thanks for posting and congratulations, "Client Zero" (stacy11 and I were clients 0 and 1 for CB IVa). You even beat dealers to the punch. And congrats to Theta - what a complete surprise for me on this Christmas day. Frankly the speed of development shocks me; we're talking about we-took-"a few"-years-for-TrueHD Theta here LOL.

So pretty to look at simply from knowing what's inside :-). Pretty hard core machine for using Xtreme throughout - another wow. Minus 1 point for not taking plastic cover off for your pic though. JK

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Casablanca V Front.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	995.0 KB
ID:	2658726  
MC Maniac likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 12-25-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #13194 of 13229 Old 12-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks Cannga. So it was later discovered that, interestingly, I had an early version of the Xtreme3 DAC which in its earliest incarnation was missing the connection from digital to analog...shortly thereafter corrected, and new XTreme3 DAC has since been received and replaced.

CV upgrade to follow shortly after the 1st.

Happy holidays everyone

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
cannga likes this.

Theta Casablanca IV w/XtremeDac3, McIntosh MC501's x 3, B&W 802D, McIntosh MHA100, Clearaudio Innovation Compact, Aurender N10, Audeze LCD-3, REL, plus plus :)
post #13195 of 13229 Old 12-25-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRube1 View Post
Thanks Cannga. So it was later discovered that, interestingly, I had an early version of the Xtreme3 DAC which in its earliest incarnation was missing the connection from digital to analog...shortly thereafter corrected, and new XTreme3 DAC has since been received and replaced.
CV upgrade to follow shortly after the 1st.
Happy holidays everyone
You're welcome. The wacky world of high end anything. Sounds like the **** that my Porsche would pull on me from time to time (some kind of fluid leaking generally).

Upgrade to V? Nice! I'm beginning to feel jealous LOL, even though I have no plan beyond 7.1.4 and need for extra filter no longer crucial. Happy Holidays.
DMRube1 likes this.

Regards, Can
post #13196 of 13229 Old 12-25-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IIRC the optional tape out DAC allowed one to record from or send to a whole house system from one source while listening to a different source on the main system. Probably one of those must have features that never was used by many.
cannga and DMRube1 like this.

Les
post #13197 of 13229 Old 12-28-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post
IIRC the optional tape out DAC allowed one to record from or send to a whole house system from one source while listening to a different source on the main system. Probably one of those must have features that never was used by many.

FWIW below is the back of our current Casablanca. There is still digital record out, both coax and toslink, plus something called "Main Digi In/PR3 Processor" Volume/Data that I have no idea what for?!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-4109.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2660200  

Regards, Can
post #13198 of 13229 Old 12-28-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
FWIW below is the back of our current Casablanca. There is still digital record out, both coax and toslink, plus something called "Main Digi In/PR3 Processor" Volume/Data that I have no idea what for?!

Its been several years since I used external Generation VIII Series 3 DACs with my then CBIIHD and then CBIV SSPs; and even more years since I used a Six Shooter analog multi-channel preamp with my then CBIII. If my memory serves me (IF?) the Volume/Data connects via coaxial digital cable to a similar connector on the Gen VIII or Six Shooter so you can use the CB to control volume. So you have one coaxial connector per each DAC card.
cannga likes this.

post #13199 of 13229 Old 12-28-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 5913 Post(s)
Liked: 5476
Quote:

As for volume control, one can theorize, and one can listen. The end result of my current SSP is that its digital volume control (in combination with its DACs and software programming I guess) sounds (for whatever reason) more transparent to me than when I had the CBIVA SSP.
Due to 64-bit processing, your processor's volume control is transparent. 240dB of lossless dynamic range (with a 24-bit source).

A 32-bit digital volume control has only 48dB of lossless dynamic range.
post #13200 of 13229 Old 12-28-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can,
I think Steve hit the data/vol thing. Matches what I remember from Six Shooter.

I wasn't referring to the digital outs. If you had the optional tape out DAC you could run a digital input to the analog tape out without using the main DAC. This allowed listening to one source while taping another. I forget when this went away. CB III to CB III HD I think. Now it just tracks the input to the main DAC for the analog tape out. At least if your Extreme D2 has the jumpers. Not sure about the D3.
cannga likes this.

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page