The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1370Likes

post #13201 of 13227 Old 12-29-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
That may be the general rule, but there are exceptions. McIntosh’️s MX series of processors has a horizontal silicon board design with no fans. It uses passive cooling. As such the MX160 ran very warm, bordering hot. The new MX170 with its improved/more efficient silicon runs significantly cooler, also with no fans. McIntosh has the top cover and lower plate heavily vented. The horizontal main board with the bulk of its processing is on top, so that likely saves the day and allows most of the heat to rise unobstructed out of the top vented case panel, but it’️s more of a static design. I agree, I would rather have no fans in my SSP and amps for that matter.

I mean with additional horizontal boards across the top of other boards, across the air vents, a horizontal hdmi board. Now that there is a fan on I’m guessing the new processor chip, maybe it’s no longer an issue?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 12-31-2019 at 01:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13202 of 13227 Old 12-29-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

As for volume control, one can theorize, and one can listen. The end result of my current SSP is that its digital volume control (in combination with its DACs and software programming I guess) sounds (for whatever reason) more transparent to me than when I had the CBIVA SSP. .
The CBIVA is considerably more transparent as a volume control. Trinnov does have Auro 3-D if you like to use dsp. The Casablanca runs all over Trinnov as a volume control. Theta is running custom filters on its dacs as well. That may be why the digital to analog conversion is better too.I don’t believe Trinnov is doing anything but using the “off the shelf,” filter. If you look to any of the high-end dacs, most if not all use custom filters.

post #13203 of 13227 Old 12-29-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
The CBIVA is considerably more transparent as a volume control. Trinnov does have Auro 3-D if you like to use dsp. The Casablanca runs all over Trinnov as a volume control. Theta is running custom filters on its dacs as well. That may be why the digital to analog conversion is better too.I don’t believe Trinnov is doing anything but using the “off the shelf,” filter. If you look to any of the high-end dacs, most if not all use custom filters.
Believe what you want. I am happy and not missing a beat sonically (when my theater as remodeled and upgraded gets back up) with the best volume control I have ever had in my theater for both movies and music!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13204 of 13227 Old 12-31-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The CBIVA is considerably more transparent as a volume control. Trinnov does have Auro 3-D if you like to use dsp. The Casablanca runs all over Trinnov as a volume control. Theta is running custom filters on its dacs as well. That may be why the digital to analog conversion is better too.I don’️t believe Trinnov is doing anything but using the “off the shelf,” filter. If you look to any of the high-end dacs, most if not all use custom filters.
Believe what you want. I am happy and not missing a beat sonically (when my theater as remodeled and upgraded gets back up) with the best volume control I have ever had in my theater for both movies and music!
I know a lot of audiophile. Many of them always say whatever they have is the best. It’s funny but they all have different stuff. That’s why I try to stick with the technical stuff. Reviews like the Widescreen Review article can be less biased because many times the reviewer does not own the product and it’s possible to get a less biased review.

post #13205 of 13227 Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Upgrade to V? Nice! I'm beginning to feel jealous LOL, even though I have no plan beyond 7.1.4 and need for extra filter no longer crucial. Happy Holidays.
I think the best reason might be not for more filters but improved sound quality of Dirac live 2.0. Dirac hasn’t upgraded the algorithm since it’s intro. The new Dirac is a meaningful improvement.
cannga likes this.

post #13206 of 13227 Old 12-31-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I know a lot of audiophile. Many of them always say whatever they have is the best. It’s funny but they all have different stuff. That’s why I try to stick with the technical stuff. Reviews like the Widescreen Review article can be less biased because many times the reviewer does not own the product and it’s possible to get a less biased review.
Each to their own. "Many of them always say whatever they have is the best." Very true. This applies to everyone including you, perhaps including me. However, I was a dyed in the wool Theta luver since the mid-nineties, and remain a Theta luver on my amplifiers (and the CB now V with its best D3 DACs remains a formidable yet very expensive for up to 18 channel SSP), and I spent plenty of my own money to make changes and upgrades, so thats maybe worth a little something. HA! As for reviewers, have you ever read a series of reviews where each successive similar component is the best they have ever heard? Ever paid attention to products reviewed that have paid for advertising? I do think magazine reviews, especially Widescreen Review (which I've had since it first came out in the mid-nineties), are helpful and one can certainly learn good objective information from some of these reviews - but one must take these at times with a grain of salt!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #13207 of 13227 Old 01-01-2020, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Many dealers say the same thing. The present lines they carry are the best, and the ones they got rid of are spontaneously flawed and underperforming.
post #13208 of 13227 Old 01-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I think the best reason might be not for more filters but improved sound quality of Dirac live 2.0. Dirac hasn’t upgraded the algorithm since it’s intro. The new Dirac is a meaningful improvement.
Haven't you had the two channel version of Dirac for PC for years? So perhaps you can educate us, in your own two channel system, how Dirac 2.0 compares functionally and sonically to Dirac 1.0. This may help give current Theta CB IV or IVA SSP owners some info to decide if it may be worthwhile for them to upgrade, even if they will not be having a system more than 12 channels.

post #13209 of 13227 Old 01-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Quoted: 5868 Post(s)
Liked: 5432
Quote:
Haven't you had the two channel version of Dirac for PC for years? So perhaps you can educate us, in your own two channel system, how Dirac 2.0 compares functionally and sonically to Dirac 1.0. This may help give current Theta CB IV or IVA SSP owners some info to decide if it may be worthwhile for them to upgrade, even if they will not be having a system more than 12 channels.
My expectation was that Dirac 2.0 would be made available to CB IV owners via firmware update.

For me, Dirac 2.x is an incremental step forward but not a leap up from 1.x. The forthcoming DL 2.x Bass Management Module represents a more substantial improvement.
post #13210 of 13227 Old 01-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
My expectation was that Dirac 2.0 would be made available to CB IV owners via firmware update.

For me, Dirac 2.x is an incremental step forward but not a leap up from 1.x. The forthcoming DL 2.x Bass Management Module represents a more substantial improvement.
Dirac 2.x was not made available to CBIVA SSP owners as a software update - it is available on the CBV. Whether there will be a software upgrade for the forthcoming DL 2.x bass management module remains to be seen. Or have I missed something? Anyone?

post #13211 of 13227 Old 01-05-2020, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello Theta CB owners. I'm considering getting a Casablanca V and Dreadnought D amp. However, my AV cabinet is only 19.75" wide, and I think the CB V is 19". I noticed the manual specifies 3" of cooling on either side of the processor, and I've got about 3/8" on each side. I assume others have run into the same issue because I don't know many AV cabinets with a 25" wide shelf. How do you deal with this? Active cooling fans?

It's a Salamander Seattle AV cabinet, by the way.

5.1: Sony XBR-65A9G 65" | Arcam AVR30 | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | TV 4K | Xbox One | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers | Paradigm Persona C Center | Paradigm Persona B Surrounds | BW DB4S
2.0: Roon Nucleus | Ayre QX-5 Twenty | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers
post #13212 of 13227 Old 01-06-2020, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Is there any review or impressions already on the Casablanca V?
post #13213 of 13227 Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Hello Theta CB owners. I'm considering getting a Casablanca V and Dreadnought D amp. However, my AV cabinet is only 19.75" wide, and I think the CB V is 19". I noticed the manual specifies 3" of cooling on either side of the processor, and I've got about 3/8" on each side. I assume others have run into the same issue because I don't know many AV cabinets with a 25" wide shelf. How do you deal with this? Active cooling fans?

Your cabinet has vents at the bottom? Does the fan salamander makes fit your vent? https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/me...vac_501607.pdf

post #13214 of 13227 Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Not yet. First impressions likely to be on this thread.

post #13215 of 13227 Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The multi-channel PC version of Dirac 2 isn't yet available so I've only heard the stereo version and why i didn't comment. I expect multi-channel to be out soon. I can believe that with multi-channel the improvement is incremental because what was done with phase was aimed at stereo reproduction. Also, subjective opinions can vary greatly.

I feel the improvements with stereo imaging can be great depending upon speakers and one's subjective opinion. In my set-up with Theta Gen VIIIs, ATI Signature amp, to be supplemented with Mcintosh MC611 monoblocks asap, and Mcintosh XR200 speakers the improvement is there but not huge. However, I mainly run Dirac below 300Hz because I am happy with the sound that way for stereo.

Another friend/client has a different set-up. I use the /client because he did pay me to build bass traps and acoustical treatments for his room though the pay wasn't really what a professional would be paid. I sometimes toy and experiment with turning my hobby into a business. His set-up consist of PS Audio BHK preamp and PS Audio BHK monoblocks with custom built speakers and ribbon drivers. At his place, running Dirac 1 full range killed his stereo imaging. The sound stage depth from front to back was severely impacted. He refused to use Dirac 1 primarily because of that. With Dirac 2, the stereo imaging is excellent. With Dirac 1, he was so "turned off," that he would not use it even with it correction below 300 Hz. I know this is blasphemy, not using room correction, in some circles. However this guy is a former professional jazz musician. He is able to analyze a recording and really dissect everything that is happening in that recording from playing styles of the musicians to the compression or lack of in the recording. He knows what he likes.

As we all know, part of what make the sound field of a multi-channels set up seamless is when you not distracted by channels that don't "match." We match channel levels to try to aid with this. Matching levels only get you so far, especially if all speakers are not identical and even then, they aren't in the same positions. Running a full range correction on all speakers and more closely matching the sonic signature of each speaker, greatly assist with the seamlessness of the presentation. I think it's essential for a home theater set-up.

For me the new Dirac 2 is important because it crosses a threshold where some who would not use a full range correction may be willing to now do so. The greater benefit for Theta is with the multiple presents, you don't have to compromise by running a below 300Hz correction even with multi-channel because you only had one option and stereo was your priority. Some are still not going to like room correction because "processed" sound to them is a greater evil than using room treatments and no room correction. I am not in that camp but don't fully commit to full range correction either for music.

A long time ago, when I purchase my first solid retractable screen, I noticed that with it down the sound changed. I played music, lowered the screen and heard the sound change. So when I run Dirac 2 multi-channel and purchase another retractable AT screen, I can have presets for when it's down or up, a preset for stereo, and a preset for multi-channel.
thezaks likes this.

post #13216 of 13227 Old 01-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The multi-channel PC version of Dirac 2 isn't yet available so I've only heard the stereo version and why i didn't comment. I expect multi-channel to be out soon. I can believe that with multi-channel the improvement is incremental because what was done with phase was aimed at stereo reproduction. Also, subjective opinions can vary greatly.

I feel the improvements with stereo imaging can be great depending upon speakers and one's subjective opinion. In my set-up with Theta Gen VIIIs, ATI Signature amp, to be supplemented with Mcintosh MC611 monoblocks asap, and Mcintosh XR200 speakers the improvement is there but not huge. However, I mainly run Dirac below 300Hz because I am happy with the sound that way for stereo.

Another friend/client has a different set-up. I use the /client because he did pay me to build bass traps and acoustical treatments for his room though the pay wasn't really what a professional would be paid. I sometimes toy and experiment with turning my hobby into a business. His set-up consist of PS Audio BHK preamp and PS Audio BHK monoblocks with custom built speakers and ribbon drivers. At his place, running Dirac 1 full range killed his stereo imaging. The sound stage depth from front to back was severely impacted. He refused to use Dirac 1 primarily because of that. With Dirac 2, the stereo imaging is excellent. With Dirac 1, he was so "turned off," that he would not use it even with it correction below 300 Hz. I know this is blasphemy, not using room correction, in some circles. However this guy is a former professional jazz musician. He is able to analyze a recording and really dissect everything that is happening in that recording from playing styles of the musicians to the compression or lack of in the recording. He knows what he likes.

As we all know, part of what make the sound field of a multi-channels set up seamless is when you not distracted by channels that don't "match." We match channel levels to try to aid with this. Matching levels only get you so far, especially if all speakers are not identical and even then, they aren't in the same positions. Running a full range correction on all speakers and more closely matching the sonic signature of each speaker, greatly assist with the seamlessness of the presentation. I think it's essential for a home theater set-up.

For me the new Dirac 2 is important because it crosses a threshold where some who would not use a full range correction may be willing to now do so. The greater benefit for Theta is with the multiple presents, you don't have to compromise by running a below 300Hz correction even with multi-channel because you only had one option and stereo was your priority. Some are still not going to like room correction because "processed" sound to them is a greater evil than using room treatments and no room correction. I am not in that camp but don't fully commit to full range correction either for music.

A long time ago, when I purchase my first solid retractable screen, I noticed that with it down the sound changed. I played music, lowered the screen and heard the sound change. So when I run Dirac 2 multi-channel and purchase another retractable AT screen, I can have presets for when it's down or up, a preset for stereo, and a preset for multi-channel.
Very good info and analysis!

post #13217 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Ok. I did get some feedback on the new CB5. I’m not sure if owner will post. Apparently the Casablanca 5 is a clear upgrade, “a level above, from the 4a.” Anyone moving from the 4a to 5 will easily hear the improvement in sound quality.

post #13218 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Ok. I did get some feedback on the new CB5. I’m not sure if owner will post. Apparently the Casablanca 5 is a clear upgrade, “a level above, from the 4a.” Anyone moving from the 4a to 5 will easily hear the improvement in sound quality.

John (from Theta) had told me the same thing. I was asking if the 4a upgrade was worth it for the sonics (not the channel count or Dirac Live, since that is not a priority for me), and John told me to wait for the 5, because it would be worth it for the sonics.

I might have to check into pricing to go from my 4 to a 5 :-)

Dave
post #13219 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone know if the CB5 will work with the D2 dac's or is it the newer D3 only?
post #13220 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Check out the controller and line of active fans from AC Infinity. I use these for all my AV and computer racked equipment. Top quality, accurate, power consumption friendly, quiet, and a wide array of fan styles to fit any application. Here is one of the controllers: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...196186&sr=8-27

Go to the AC Infinity website to see all the fan types available, then look on amazon for best prices. true bang for buck.
post #13221 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post

I'm curious about this as well, since I use a D3 for L/R/C/LS/RS/sub and a D2 for LBS/RBS. I have a message in to John at Theta, so I will post when he gets back to me.

Dave
post #13222 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post

OK, I just spoke to John at Theta. The D2 dacs will work in the CB5, but not for the height channels, they will only work for the basic 7.1 (actually 7.5, since there's more sub channels allowed). The height channels require a Premium 2 or a Xtreme D3.

Dave
post #13223 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post
Check out the controller and line of active fans from AC Infinity. I use these for all my AV and computer racked equipment. Top quality, accurate, power consumption friendly, quiet, and a wide array of fan styles to fit any application. Here is one of the controllers: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C...196186&sr=8-27

Go to the AC Infinity website to see all the fan types available, then look on amazon for best prices. true bang for buck.
This looks great! Thank you very much.

5.1: Sony XBR-65A9G 65" | Arcam AVR30 | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | TV 4K | Xbox One | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers | Paradigm Persona C Center | Paradigm Persona B Surrounds | BW DB4S
2.0: Roon Nucleus | Ayre QX-5 Twenty | Ayre AX-5 Twenty | Paradigm Persona 5F Towers
post #13224 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This looks great! Thank you very much.

Glad to help. They will work superbly and quietly. one feature of the controller i love is the gentle ramp up of fan speed based on temp setting. so they are not "on or off" - they will kick on super low 5 degrees before temp limit and scale speed up to full as temp setting limit is approached. They also make a dual zone controller with two probes / independent settings.
post #13225 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
OK, I just spoke to John at Theta. The D2 dacs will work in the CB5, but not for the height channels, they will only work for the basic 7.1 (actually 7.5, since there's more sub channels allowed). The height channels require a Premium 2 or a Xtreme D3.

Dave

Excellent to know, thanks for checking. I'm still running all D2's and 7.1 - With the BG Radia LA-800's I don't have a need for height / width channels in my present room. The new V looks compelling.
post #13226 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
John (from Theta) had told me the same thing. I was asking if the 4a upgrade was worth it for the sonics (not the channel count or Dirac Live, since that is not a priority for me), and John told me to wait for the 5, because it would be worth it for the sonics.

I might have to check into pricing to go from my 4 to a 5 :-)

Dave
Although I am no longer a CB user/owner, I am not surprised. I always found a sonic improvement with each CB upgrade through the last model I owned the IVA. I have also found John at Theta to always give 100% accurate info and if anything to downsell - so when he says there's a sonic improvement, no doubt there is. Of course, I would think any sonic improvement is more noticeable and distinguishable the better DACs that you have, particularly with the D3.

post #13227 of 13227 Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Although I am no longer a CB user/owner, I am not surprised. I always found a sonic improvement with each CB upgrade through the last model I owned the IVA. I have also found John at Theta to always give 100% accurate info and if anything to downsell - so when he says there's a sonic improvement, no doubt there is. Of course, I would think any sonic improvement is more noticeable and distinguishable the better DACs that you have, particularly with the D3.

Indeed- Considering I have owned every iteration of CB except IVa, what John states in ref to new model improvements has always been spot on. Completely agree on dac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page