The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1376Likes

post #13231 of 13244 Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Widescreen Review gave a rave review of the Casablanca IVa. There is now a correction. The dacs used were Xtreme D-2 dacs and not the newest D3. A Casablanca V with D-3 Xtreme dacs, new processor board and Dirac 2.0 is certainly a few levels above the CBIVa with D-2 dacs which received such a glowing review.
stacy11 likes this.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 13244 Old 02-05-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Widescreen Review gave a rave review of the Casablanca IVa. There is now a correction. The dacs used were Xtreme D-2 dacs and not the newest D3. A Casablanca V with D-3 Xtreme dacs, new processor board and Dirac 2.0 is certainly a few levels above the CBIVa with D-2 dacs which received such a glowing review.

That's surprising - how can you be sure? Who would give a reviewer a IVa with D-2 dacs? The article mentions that two D-3's were used, for a total of 12 channels. Plus, the D-2 DACs cannot be used for immersive audio, and the reviewer definitely used it for immersive audio. It doesn't seem like the correction you mentioned is correct.

Still, I was actually surprised that a IVa was given, instead of having the reviewer wait a couple of months for a V.

Dave
post #13233 of 13244 Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually I wasn’t surprised to see the correction. I am a bit of an eBay junkie and saw a Casablanca IVa for sale for like $20k in either late November or early December. I was fairly certain it was Gary Reber. When I looked at the Ebay pictures, the dacs were 4 channels cards! I thought those are not D-3 dacs! Yeah I know D3 cards can be made 4 channel. I still wasn’t 100% sure it was Widescreen Review.

So fast forward a couple of weeks and I renewed my WSR sub. I was having trouble logging in so called the magazine and spoke with a women. While she was fixing my issues I could hear a guy in the background talking on what seemed another call. From what I heard, he was answering questions about the Casablanca that was for sale! So I was pretty sure WSR was selling a casablanca. I figured it was possible they had two units, then I saw the correction 😉.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13234 of 13244 Old 02-05-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...then I saw the correction 😉.

Where is the correction? If the Casablanca reviewed actually had D-2 DACs, then Gary would not have been able to try out any immersive audio (Atmos,etc)...

Dave
post #13235 of 13244 Old 02-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Where is the correction? If the Casablanca reviewed actually had D-2 DACs, then Gary would not have been able to try out any immersive audio (Atmos,etc)...
Dave

The unit has (besides 2 x D2) 6 Ch P3 for immersive channels.
post #13236 of 13244 Old 02-05-2020, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
The unit has (besides 2 x D2) 6 Ch P3 for immersive channels.

Ah, ok, thanks! Makes more sense now. The post from bulldogger though indicated the D-3's were not used.

Dave
post #13237 of 13244 Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
...then I saw the correction 😉.

Dave
The correction is in this month’s issue. Premium D-3 were used for Atmos channels. Xtreme D-2 dacs were used for the front channel and the primary source of the favorable review with music. I saw the Premium dacs in the eBay photos too. Also, Widescreen Review used a unit that they owned to do the review. That’s not in the magazine. I remember WSR using a Casablanca in their reference theater but am not sure if this is the same unit. So I’m sure a CBV with Xtreme D-3 dacs would really have blown Doug’s socks off!

I’ll assuming you don’t have a subscription so I’ll quote it, “ In the November 2019 issue, Doug Blackburn reviewed Theta Digital’s Casablanca IVa. Doug concluded the Casablanca IVa, “delivers exceptional pris- tine audio.”
While this is without question the case, we stated that Theta Digital’s Xtreme D-3 DACs were used, not realizing that the DACs were actually the previous-generation D-2s and Premium 3s. This results in a MSRP as reviewed of $22,990, not $28,985. Otherwise, there are no other clarifications.“

Last edited by Bulldogger; 02-08-2020 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Grammer
post #13238 of 13244 Old 02-13-2020, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m not sure how similar Dirac 2 for PCs is to the version that Theta is using. An interesting development with the new PC version, since Dirac 2.3, is the ability to use filters created by other users. You no longer need to use the creator's credentials for sharing and editing projects. My hope is that this would allow a calibration to be done by some like a professional and then those filters transferred to the owner after onsite measurements. I’m not quite sure if this will be possible. It should at least however allow a project to be edited by someone else like a professional if desired. A professional for example, could look at the owner’s measurements and tweak the results without having to be onsite. If this isn’t currently possible, it should be.

post #13239 of 13244 Old 02-21-2020, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
As there has been some discussion at times re the "competing" Trinnov SSPs, and one frequent poster in this thread has a number of times compared the Trinnov to a glorified PC, I thought this recent discussion at the Trinnov thead might be enlightening:

OPCM4104 chips (

This is not to say that the new CBV won't sound spectacular with its new DSP & Dirac 2 with its new bass management feature. ATI-Theta Digital and its owner, Morris Kessler, a total class act, certainly merit KUDOS for the new CBV and now having the upgrade to CBV available. Even though I and some others have moved on and will not have the CBV. But I think it does give more accurate info for folks considering a new or upgraded SSP.
I don’t think it’s worth discussing dacs between the Casablanca and Trinnov.Trinnov : PCM4104 Typical Dynamic Performance (24-Bit Data) − Dynamic Range (A-Weighted): 118dB
− THD+N: −100dB”” Theta : PCM1792, “ Analog Performance: − Dynamic Range:
− 132 dB (9 V rms, Mono)
− 129 dB (4.5 V rms, Stereo) − 127 dB (2 V rms, Stereo)
− THD+N: 0.0004%.” You can not debate the specs. Man, do you REALLY want to go there???? Tout Trinnov room correction or something. I would not even mention dacs 😄 .Trinnov’s dacs competing with the best dacs out there? Come on?? In what regard? Certainly not specs?

Make some sort of subjective arguement. The Xtreme D-3 cards have the best specs of any chip ever used in a prepro. Period. It’s a useless debate.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 02-21-2020 at 03:51 AM.
post #13240 of 13244 Old 02-21-2020, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 919
So Bulldogger, what is your impression of the sonic quality of the Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DAC (of which you I understand now own 3) vs the Casablanca IVA or V SSP with the D3 DACs? Have you been able to compare and if so where and describe the system?

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 8 7LCRs; 10 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #13241 of 13244 Old 02-21-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would doubt for there to be any way to compare the two DACs. Even if one DAC has better specs than the other, the more important determinator (at least for me) is the sonics with the entire unit - not just the DAC. So, for me, I would want to have both processors in my room, each setup for their maximum capabilities (DACs, EQ, etc). Once that is done, then I think you could make a valid determination. I myself have not done this in my system/room, so I would not be able to comment on such a comparison, let alone speak definitively about it.

Dave
post #13242 of 13244 Old 02-21-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
I would doubt for there to be any way to compare the two DACs. Even if one DAC has better specs than the other, the more important determinator (at least for me) is the sonics with the entire unit - not just the DAC. So, for me, I would want to have both processors in my room, each setup for their maximum capabilities (DACs, EQ, etc). Once that is done, then I think you could make a valid determination. I myself have not done this in my system/room, so I would not be able to comment on such a comparison, let alone speak definitively about it.

Dave
Good point. And I more or less have done this with my prior 5.2.4 system. I used the Casablanca for years and years, using the CBIVA SSP with all D3 DACs for like 2 years, using Dirac, full range for movies in front row, limited to 500 Hz for music in back row. Then last Feb I installed Trinnov Altitude 32 and used it for 3 weeks. Then sent Trinnov off for repair (needed replacement firewire card as only hiccup was ROON music above 24-192) and adding more channels, so I put CBIVA SSP back in system for a few weeks. I found that I liked the Trinnov, particularly on music with ROON whether using AES/EBU in or ROON Ready, and even on movies. Not to say the CBIVA SSP is a slouch by any means, sounds wonderful for both movies and music and I was very very happy. But I decided to try the Trinnov - knowing that if it didn't meaure up I would sell it and probably take some loss even though I negotiated a decent deal buying it - because I am a charter member of the "Audio-Holic Club" (meaning I am not interested in curing my audio and video addiction). If I didn't feel the Trinnov was as good sonically (and I'm talking emotion, tap your feet, what moves you - as opposed to strictly analyzing to death every bit of what you think you are hearing), I would have kept the CBIVA and waited for the upgrade to the CBV. And the CBV now available is very nice, as few will need or want more than the 18 channels it potentially provides, and few home theaterites are music and ROON luvers like me (as the Trinnov is ROON Ready, the CBV is not) as demonstrated by hardly any response to the ROON thread and audio download thread that I posted here at this 20k forum). You can't argue with Bulldogger that the D3 DACs have better technical specifications - but its the whole package of design, manufacture, software engineering and sonics, as well as features, price, performance, channels, etc that one must evaluate to decide what SSP is worthwhile for one to use and purchase. And of course Theta has the very best upgrade program in the industry - so if you are already a recently CB model owner, it may be worthwhile for you to upgrade and stay with the Casablanca from a price-performance standpoint. Though this may not be the case if you are buying a totally new SSP - then the cost considerations may be somewhat different.
Michael Osadciw likes this.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 8 7LCRs; 10 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #13243 of 13244 Old 02-24-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
Does anybody know if (At LONG LAST) the V will have ARC????
Why do you need ARC?

(eARC with Lip sync?)

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #13244 of 13244 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi folks

Need your quick advice. Ive been using a CB4HD for years, with 5 MBL speakers and 4 subs (2 JLaudio and 2 Seaton Sound) . I stream music into it using either a Wyred4Sound modified Sonos or just the Control4 EA-5 controller. For convenience reasons, I really only now stream HD music into it versus using other players or downloaded CDs. With Tidal now having a large MQA library and Amazon sound also getting into HD and ultraHD streaming, I was wondering if I am losing some clarity.

What are other digital streamers that others have had good experience with e.g. BlueSound?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page