The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 448 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1427Likes

post #13411 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you for a quick response. I do not know if it helps serial number 026604 Casablanca III HD. Cards are installed 2 x Extreme D-2 Digital Output Card.

The error relates only to the front left speaker. For him I have to set balnce 5 to have the same volume as the right speaker. The sound image is then in the middle of a mono signal. It's a mistake softwear? Or failure to Hardwear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13412 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Thank you for a quick response. I do not know if it helps serial number 026604 Casablanca III HD. Cards are installed 2 x Extreme D-2, Digital Output Card.

The error relates only to the front left speaker. For him I have to set balnce 5 to have the same volume as the right speaker. The sound image is then in the middle of a mono signal. It's a mistake softwear? Or failure to Hardwear?
post #13413 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 AM

I do not fill up the bug is only for digital connections (Coax, Toslin, AES / EBU). Sound is at the left front speaker weaker versus the right, but not distorted. Using this balance I can now be corrected. Analog connection is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13414 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Giving us the serial # gets one nowhere. OUCH!

Seriously, contact John Baloff at ATI-Theta tech support. Since you are way outside the US, might be easier to email him: [email protected].

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #13415 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Giving us the serial # gets one nowhere. OUCH!

Seriously, contact John Baloff at ATI-Theta tech support. Since you are way outside the US, might be easier to email him: [email protected].

John Baloff will find the serial number useful. Theta has records of the configuration of every Casablanca by serial number.

Jeff
post #13416 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 03:44 PM

Ok, thank you for contact. You are a good man. John will write tomorrow.

Good evening wishes you Lubomir
Michael Osadciw likes this.
post #13417 of 13438 Old 06-16-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
John Baloff will find the serial number useful. Theta has records of the configuration of every Casablanca by serial number.

Jeff
Yes giving John the serial # is helpful - giving it to US here on the forum is of no utility. HA!

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #13418 of 13438 Old 06-17-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Yes giving John the serial # is helpful - giving it to US here on the forum is of no utility. HA!

As usual, my friend, you are correct. Relevant to John. Immaterial to the rest of us.

Jeff
post #13419 of 13438 Old 06-18-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 130
OK, here's an update on the remote situation. I did receive the new remote for the CBIV yesterday, but I have the same issue - need to hit mute twice.

I am betting all of you have the same issue, and you just don't know it.

Perhaps I am the only person who has their Casablanca display set to OFF, because that's the only way that this issue occurs. Mute can only work when the display is on. Because I have mine on OFF, the first hit of the mute button turns on the display and the second hit of the mute button toggles the mute function. In fact, I can keep hitting mute while the display is on and it will keep toggling it all day without issue. Once the display goes off though, then I'm back to hitting mute twice.

So, my solution is to set my CBIV display to 1/4, and then mute works fine all day/night long with just one click. Or, for my preferred setting of OFF for the display, I can program my programmable remote with a macro to send the mute twice when I hit the mute button. The only thing for me is, I need to give it at least a few seconds for the CBIV display to turn off before I hit the mute button again.

Dave
post #13420 of 13438 Old 06-18-2020, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Since this sounds like it was all a trick question I only tried serial. Display off. Mute on, off. One press each way, no waiting.

I'd have to stand up to try the rest...

Les
post #13421 of 13438 Old 06-19-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post
Since this sounds like it was all a trick question I only tried serial. Display off. Mute on, off. One press each way, no waiting.

I'd have to stand up to try the rest...

I just used the remote - IR - pointed at the front panel - no serial.

Dave
post #13422 of 13438 Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
As usual, my friend, you are correct. Relevant to John. Immaterial to the rest of us.

Jeff
Have a nice day,

John Baloff I I communicated and recommended:

"Are you comfortable taking the cover off and switching dac cards?
Take the dac card in slot 2 and put it Slot 1."

Then it occurred to me still on reconfigure DAC 1 and DAC 2nd It succeeded and problems with balance and sound of the left channel disappeared.

I thought at first even re-record Softwear (version I have now 420). That to me but through a USB connection and TDD_V203.zip program installed on your computer (Windows 10) failed. Ports are identified correctly and link speed according to the recommendations. USB cable used was a Canon printer. Where there might be a mistake? Or do I connect the PC and the Casablanca III HD on port 232?

How do I upload new software to the Casablanca III HD. Using the USB connection is failing me. Can I connect the RS 232 interface?

After reprogramming the DAC 1 and DAC 2 cards, everything works and the problem is fixed.

New DAC settings:

DAC 1 - A4 X
Front Center
Sub1
Sur Left
Sur Right

DAC2 – A4 a
Front Left
Front Right
Front Center . Free_Unoccupied
Surround Center

My experience with sound enhancements: ((do not do advertising, but I am also interested in your experiences with the use of anti-vibration pads)

A lot, I managed to improve the sound using SSC MagicPoint anti-vibration pads under all audio devices. The biggest influence on the sound was evident for Complete Blue and also at the Casablanca III HD. It is a German manufacturer. For example, look at this: https://www.justhifi.de/ssc-magicpoint-a12074.html

Thank you for your willingness to help me.
post #13423 of 13438 Old 06-19-2020, 10:39 AM

I found using Symposium Acoustics Ultra platform, and even adding Symposium Acoustics Rollerblock 2s, clearly improved sonics, back when I had my Theta Casablanca SSPs over many years. So I am not surprised. The trick is some isolation products really work and only improve the sonics - some may change the sonics and not be as worthwhile.

post #13424 of 13438 Old 06-20-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I found using Symposium Acoustics Ultra platform, and even adding Symposium Acoustics Rollerblock 2s, clearly improved sonics, back when I had my Theta Casablanca SSPs over many years. So I am not surprised. The trick is some isolation products really work and only improve the sonics - some may change the sonics and not be as worthwhile.
Enough, I experimented with antivibration mounts and sound just SSC MagicPoint refine and improve spaciousness and do not affect the tonality characteristic acoustic instruments.

They're right, some anti-vibration materials and sound influenced the thinned bass and acoustic instruments did not have the "right body."
post #13425 of 13438 Old 07-08-2020, 08:54 AM

At the Dirac website you can download the latest version of Dirac for some surround sound processors. But they dont' list Theta Digital as applicable for this version - I'm thinking of the near new CBV SSP.
I suspect someone with the CBV can confirm that you download Dirac for the CBV from a different website specific to Theta and what version of Dirac it is.

https://live.dirac.com/download/

Dirac Live®
Latest version: 3.0.2 read changelog

Improved usability
Refreshed, modern user interface that features a simplified setup procedure
Enhanced Phase Correction algorithm for improved stereo reproduction
Supported Platforms: Windows 10, MacOS Mojave, MacOS Catalina
Supported Brands: ARCAM, AudioControl, JBL, JBL Synthesis, Lexicon, miniDSP, NAD, StormAudio, Focal, Bryston and Monoprice

Note that the latest SSPs from Trinnov, Storm Audio and Lyngdorf are all ROON Ready via ethernet - Neither MacIntosh or Theta are. I must emphasize that with talk of what SSPS are more "audiophile" and supposedly sound better especially for music, that as an "audiophile" of too many years who listens to a lot of music in my theater ROON Ready for me is simply a total MUST and I will never understand why the CBV is not ROON Ready. I luv Theta and was a Theta Casablanca owner from 1997 for like 21+ years, and I just don't get why Trinnov, Storm Audio and even Lyngdorf are ROON Ready but Theta, the first and for so many years the very best audiophile SSP, isn't ROON Ready! I realize though that if you polled current Casablanca owners of years standing, few are even into digital music servers and ROON But I'm telling you, this is rapidly changing - even receiver companies are starting to come on board with ROON!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-08-2020 at 06:25 PM.
post #13426 of 13438 Old 07-10-2020, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

L

Note that the latest SSPs from Trinnov, Storm Audio and Lyngdorf are all ROON Ready via ethernet - Neither MacIntosh or Theta are. I must emphasize that with talk of what SSPS are more "audiophile" and supposedly sound better especially for music, that as an "audiophile" of too many years who listens to a lot of music in my theater ROON Ready for me is simply a total MUST and I will never understand why the CBV is not ROON Ready. I luv Theta and was a Theta Casablanca owner from 1997 for like 21+ years, and I just don't get why Trinnov, Storm Audio and even Lyngdorf are ROON Ready but Theta, the first and for so many years the very best audiophile SSP, isn't ROON Ready! I realize though that if you polled current Casablanca owners of years standing, few are even into digital music servers and ROON But I'm telling you, this is rapidly changing - even receiver companies are starting to come on board with ROON!
The Casablanca V is the pathway to the missing features you cite. Time frame, I don’t know. I’m SURE it’s coming.

None of the prepros are perfect. Though, Trinnov runs at 24/192 the commercial, budget dacs it uses are only capable of a SNR of 118 making it far from capable of approaching even 24/48 resolutions. The original Xtreme dac which uses a chip designed in the 1990s offers higher resolution than what is offered in a nearly 40k processor. Trinnov can do better. You should demand it. What I’m saying isn’t unreasonable.

The only processor of which I am sure offers a resolution, with a SNR dac of 129db, capable of doing justice to high resolution audio is Theta’s Xtreme D3 dac. Even though the Casablanca runs at 24/96 it still delivers ACTUAL, higher resolution than Trinnov because of Trinnov’s hardware choice. The chain is as only as strong as the weakest link right?

Storm Audio is a company that is intriguing. However they too have chosen to remain in the late 20th century running at 24/48. Tag and California audio labs both produced SSPs that ran at 24/96 in the late 1990s. Storm Audio does seem more,”thought out.” The software seems equally matched to the hardware. If one is OK with being limited to 24/48 it looks fine.

Dirac’s new bass management feature, which is something unique in that it is the only system that takes into consideration and corrects the interaction among multiple subs and also the interaction of the subs with the main speaker. The bass management feature is also coming to the Casablanca V.

Lastly I was listening to Trinnov’s webinar and think I heard them say that their processors output 6 volts? Perhaps that’s related to noise floor when mated with an amplifier? Well Theta outputs 20 volts, over triple that!

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #13427 of 13438 Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Bulldogger, you state "The Casablanca V is the pathway to the missing features you cite. Time frame, I don’t know. I’m SURE it’s coming." Remember back in the late 90's Theta (back when Neil Sinclair owned the company) advertised that the Casablanca would in the future have room correction (which didn't occur until nearly 20 years later) and also that the Voyager universal laserdisc would be upgradeable for new audio formats (I bought it, SACD came out in a few years, it was not upgradeable). Of course, Theta under ATI and Morris are totally frank in everything and in past years ATI and Morris DO NOT make any such future claims, only near future when it definitely is coming out. ATI and Morris have made NO mention of ROON Ready, period. Plus, ROON requires some additional memory in the unit and well as software, and I can only surmise that they wanted to keep the upgrade cost down so they didn't include ROON as essentially I (at CEDIA 2017) was perhaps the only Theta customer clamoring for it. So How many years to the Casablanca VI and will it be ROON Ready? Will there even be a Casablanca VI given the current Covid-19 and economic conditions worldwide? As though the Casablanca SSP wasn't expensive enough fully loaded with D-3 DACs prior to all of this? And how come Theta hasn't come out with that less expensive SSP modeled after the Casablanca - Trinnov, Lyngdorf and MacIntosh have all done this, but Theta hasn't, and there is nothing in the wind to indicate that such is coming? And now there's a lot of competition out there, does ATI-Theta even want to invest $$ in keeping the Casablanca model going further into the future, given that ATI is so terribly successful manufacturing audio gear, particularly amplifiers, for so many other companies? Lots of questions.

Bulldogger, please show me anything from anyone in the know with ATI-Theta that Dirac bass management is coming to the Casablanca V. If it is I haven't seen anything - I hope it is.

Remember the days of amplifiers specing lower distortion, speakers emphazing how flat they measured, yet these audio products so often sounded terrible? Specs do not tell everything. I have listened and the Trinov is a total winner in every category. And so have several audiophile friends. And yea I luved my Theta Casablancas every itineration from the I to the IVA, before I moved to Trinnov, but during the months I used the Trinnov it was equal or better sonically in every category with only my rudimentary setup and optimization. Bulldogger, when you agreed with what I heard, in my Casablanca days, you railed in my favor - but once I changed to Trinnov, you continue to essentially argue I don't know what I am listening to or hearing. Funny how that goes.

Don't get me wrong. My Casablanca gave me years and years of great sound and service through many upgrades. And I emphasize that after using the Trinnov Altitude 32 for several weeks, it went in for a minor repair (a firewire card replacement so that it would not hiccup on 192 & 176 - 24 audio, as they had a bad batch of firewire cards causing this) and I put my CBIVA SSP back in my system during that time, and again I realized I liked the Trinnov and wanted it back. So I will rely on my own ear/brain and tapping my own feet to what I like!

So Bulldogger, you have 3, or is it 4, Generation VIII Series 2 DACs? Did you get one of the Casablanca SSPs to use with them, or are you still using a custom built PC with a 7.1 coaxial out card for this? How's your home theater you were building above your garage, is all done? Pictures, please, I'm sure its very very nice.

post #13428 of 13438 Old 07-11-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bulldogger, you state "The Casablanca V is the pathway to the missing features you cite. Time frame, I don’️t know. I’️m SURE it’️s coming." Remember back in the late 90's Theta (back when Neil Sinclair owned the company) advertised that the Casablanca would in the future have room correction (which didn't occur until nearly 20 years later) and also that the Voyager universal laserdisc would be upgradeable for new audio formats (I bought it, SACD came out in a few years, it was not upgradeable). Of course, Theta under ATI and Morris are totally frank in everything and in past years ATI and Morris DO NOT make any such future claims, only near future when it definitely is coming out. ATI and Morris have made NO mention of ROON Ready, period. Plus, ROON requires some additional memory in the unit and well as software, and I can only surmise that they wanted to keep the upgrade cost down so they didn't include ROON as essentially I (at CEDIA 2017) was perhaps the only Theta customer clamoring for it. So How many years to the Casablanca VI and will it be ROON Ready? Will there even be a Casablanca VI given the current Covid-19 and economic conditions worldwide? As though the Casablanca SSP wasn't expensive enough fully loaded with D-3 DACs prior to all of this? And how come Theta hasn't come out with that less expensive SSP modeled after the Casablanca - Trinnov, Lyngdorf and MacIntosh have all done this, but Theta hasn't, and there is nothing in the wind to indicate that such is coming? And now there's a lot of competition out there, does ATI-Theta even want to invest $$ in keeping the Casablanca model going further into the future, given that ATI is so terribly successful manufacturing audio gear, particularly amplifiers, for so many other companies? Lots of questions.

Bulldogger, please show me anything from anyone in the know with ATI-Theta that Dirac bass management is coming to the Casablanca V. If it is I haven't seen anything - I hope it is.

Remember the days of amplifiers specing lower distortion, speakers emphazing how flat they measured, yet these audio products so often sounded terrible? Specs do not tell everything. I have listened and the Trinov is a total winner in every category. And so have several audiophile friends. And yea I luved my Theta Casablancas every itineration from the I to the IVA, before I moved to Trinnov, but during the months I used the Trinnov it was equal or better sonically in every category with only my rudimentary setup and optimization. Bulldogger, when you agreed with what I heard, in my Casablanca days, you railed in my favor - but once I changed to Trinnov, you continue to essentially argue I don't know what I am listening to or hearing. Funny how that goes.

Don't get me wrong. My Casablanca gave me years and years of great sound and service through many upgrades. And I emphasize that after using the Trinnov Altitude 32 for several weeks, it went in for a minor repair (a firewire card replacement so that it would not hiccup on 192 & 176 - 24 audio, as they had a bad batch of firewire cards causing this) and I put my CBIVA SSP back in my system during that time, and again I realized I liked the Trinnov and wanted it back. So I will rely on my own ear/brain and tapping my own feet to what I like!

So Bulldogger, you have 3, or is it 4, Generation VIII Series 2 DACs? Did you get one of the Casablanca SSPs to use with them, or are you still using a custom built PC with a 7.1 coaxial out card for this? How's your home theater you were building above your garage, is all done? Pictures, please, I'm sure its very very nice.
When the Casablanca was being upgraded to HDMI, I told you. You didn't believe it inspite of my giving you progress reports. My source was not someone at Theta. In fact, you were so adamant that HDMI was not going to happen, that the first person to get the CB3HD was Big Brother 52. Again, I told you that there would be a replacement for the Xtreme D1 dac. Was I correct? Theta blew it out of the water. Highest permance dac of any prepro ever made. I think I have a track record. I may have been wrong about something, like the particuliars of the exact dac chips but not about the big picture. Can you rememeber me getting it wrong? I may have and just don't remember? Really, I don't think so! You are correct about the way ATI manges announcements. I have been correct about the continued developement of the best sounding processor on the market.

I understand that you are about 70 with fading hearing, at times supplemented by hearing aids and didn't want to wait for Theta? I agree with your logic. I'm younger and as you have pointed out many times, don't have the money that you have. As I have more time than money, the wait has always, "paid off." The Casablanca has proven to be the only upgradeable processor for all aspects of a prepro. Hardware of which has been the dacs, power supply, mother board, display, everything I believe everything expect the case. New software too with new room correction and an entirely new operating system. I'm interested to see how the new operating system works as may have solved the quirks of older models.

As for room correction, have you ever read the Harmon Study on room correction? If you haven't you should. Those room correction systems from 20 years ago, sometimes made things worse and none did what they claimed. I am a hands on guy so actually auditioned many of those systems back then. For whatever reason, the curve, the hardware, whatever, they were junk. I said it then. The first room correction system that caught my attention was "Room Perfect," being utilized with a Mcintosh processor. I note that the new Lyngdorp MP60, you mention is using the same correction was recently reviewed. The reviewer found it too better than Trinnov. Lyngdorf MP-60 AV Processor Review . Theta, Neil Sinclair at the time was right. Dirac is a different matter though some audiophiles still don't like it used in the midrange. I actually love Dirac. It's just keeps improving.

Lyngdorf MP-60 AV Processor Review
The Lyngdorf MP-60 is the company's new 16-channel AV processor with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D and RoomPerfect...

I think Trinnov is falling down on the hardware side. Even a $1000 Yamaha RA-1080A has more modern dacs ESS Sabere dacs, than a 40K processor? That's crazy. Trinnov has flat out said they are not upgrading the dacs. But you can still send digital out into your Oppo, which has better dacs than Trinnov and get a higher SNR dac. Maybe better sounding too? Have you tried it? Someone should. My bet is on an Oppo 205 winning. I think as Trinnov was pointing out with the 6v I think, mention of the output of their analog signal, that matters too so it's not just dacs. Again, deep waters are dominated by Theta with 20v output via balanced.

Widescreen Review likely was not aware when they published the review of the CBIVa of the approach of a new model. There were a lot of statements made not so long ago about Theta and whether there would be further advancements. Then, Theta " dropped out of "Spore drive" and the CBV appeared. The Casablanca is just like Star Trek a more advanced model shows up that may look kind of like the old one but is something new with capabilties that far exceed the old ship. https://medium.com/starts-with-a-ban...e-8c49e5d5af36

My wife realized I was putting the "cart before the horse," with the construction of my theater. Considering how much space we have with only three people, she suggested that I pause and think, use the great room, the second room but bigger room in our home, wired for surround sound. She suggested I continue with purchase of more gear. Part of the construction is contracted and done, but part I am doing myself. I like DIY. My wife when we first met asked me how coudld buying stuff be a hobby anymore than shopping? My responce was that part of my hobby is DIY so it it not like shopping. I only like to pay cash for my hobby and chose to buy some more gear. In last 6 months I have purchased 3 more Gen VIIIs and a Krell 300 duo amp. By the time, I finish with the upgrade of the last Gen VIII, I'll have spent about 20k. I'm "tapped out." You are right, I don't have any money.

I don't have all of my stuff. One dac is at Theta being upgraded. You know my dealer, ask him. The 4th, I loaned to a friend so he could try it with this Aesthetix Metis preamp and Atlas Signature monoblocks. I borrow stuff and loan stuff with my audio buddies so I can get to try new stuff. Mike would be glad to discuss audio with you if you want to speak with him and confirm I have four?! I'll never stop using my HTPC with Lynx AES16e and Vega 64 strix for video. I use it with MadVR for 4k blu-ray, Roon, and Jriver. As I've said before, I have the Casablanca from Knipis studios. It only had digital out cards and no dacs. I own the newest digi out card and will do the first 8 channels with Gen VIIIs. It's Saturday morning and my room is dirty. I'm cleaning my center channel. I'll post a few pics of my gear, hmm about 70k, worth and even a pic of my house Steve. You have the address, so maybe you can google it and look room by room? 😄

Steve, I could have upgraded my Casablanca a long time ago. I"ve just chosen to go a different route. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Hemi , slowed me too. By hey, it rages in the mud! I love it! Here’s a pic of it too, lol. For 20 years I only drove used cars so I could spend more money on audio! With all my daughter is doing, soccer, martial arts, the princess complained about my old car so I bought a new one.

So, back to the Casablanca V upgrade. I've chosen my path and juggled all of this gear with Kramer control and an SL-280 "brain." Kramer has a driver for the Gen VIII with feedback and control over most parameters. It works well but it would work better if I had a Casablanca V! My dealer should be upgrading my Casablanca in 6 months or so. It will take that much time for my free cash to regenerate. I’m a poor guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F003EAB5-9BBE-43AF-9A66-9DA8A32F0823_1594485071009.png
Views:	48
Size:	6.78 MB
ID:	2756508   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A43A564-E10E-40F5-94BA-F3A29BE6ABAC_1594485298714.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2756510   Click image for larger version

Name:	25B60E27-42CE-45D9-B8C9-FA34F2D5A0F1_1594485318367.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	2756512   Click image for larger version

Name:	F0EFA071-171C-4E33-9F90-D3399D73404D_1594485371488.jpeg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2756514   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBEA361A-41A0-418D-83DE-89C99C256E52_1594485412329.jpeg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2756516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	301C3435-6380-41BD-9E2D-B24AF415A0ED_1594485468980.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2756518  

Last edited by Bulldogger; 07-11-2020 at 09:54 AM.
post #13429 of 13438 Old 07-11-2020, 01:32 PM

Bulldogger you have a great tarot card reader! Enjoy your theater I’m sure it sounds/will sound very nice. Nothing wrong with doing a lot DIY when you can.

I am laughing at your giving the link to the Lyngdorf MP-60 review. Reviewers like end users typically tout what they have now as the best no matter what. Li-ke ou. Like me. Though in my case I used both in my system and I a0nd several audiophiles hole friends all heard the sonic attributes of Trinnov being second to none. You have your rationale for thinking otherwise and you are entitled to your opinion and how you want to spend your money, just like I am!

Enjoy!

post #13430 of 13438 Old 07-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I understand that you are about 70 with fading hearing, at times supplemented by hearing aids and didn't want to wait for Theta? I agree with your logic.
I'm only 67 - please, I don't need to get older that quickly!

As for "fading hearing, at times supplemented by hearing aids" - apparently its your memory and recollection that's fading not mine. I have told you again and again that I was demoing hearing aids the last few months of 2018, as I clearly was feeling very good and felt something off in my hearing and when I listened to test tones I could only hear 8kHz at about half and not beyond (with my then CBIVA SSP). Turned out my appendix burst, treated late Dec 2018. Thereafter, my hearing subjectively was back to what it had been, I could hear 12.5 kHz test tones, and I demod some hearing aids and I could tell they if anything compressed the soundstage and instruments some, both in my theater and at live concerts, and decided they were of no benefit. I never bought them. I demod them from a wonderful local audiologist!

I guess Dave (Thezaks) who has demod my theater many times with CBIVA SSP and then Trinnov, who is about your age, must have bad hearing too, since he agrees with me. HA!

We agree I do not want to wait for Theta. And again, who knows if Theta will be around with a CBIV? You want to take your crystal ball fine. And in your case, you already have the DACs (4 Gen VIIIs), so it just a question of paying the upgrade cost from a CBIII to a CBV. I've said many many times one must factor in affordability, what you want to use it for, etc and that for current Casablanca owners the upgrades over the years have been wonderful and at reasonable expense!

Assuming that you are not intentionally misquoting me ever, have you considered taking a cognitive test? Seems they are in vogue among Presidential candidates these days. HA!

post #13431 of 13438 Old 07-11-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:

My wife realized I was putting the "cart before the horse," with the construction of my theater. Considering how much space we have with only three people, she suggested that I pause and think, use the great room, the second room but bigger room in our home, wired for surround sound. She suggested I continue with purchase of more gear. Part of the construction is contracted and done, but part I am doing myself. I like DIY. My wife when we first met asked me how coudld buying stuff be a hobby anymore than shopping? My responce was that part of my hobby is DIY so it it not like shopping. I only like to pay cash for my hobby and chose to buy some more gear. In last 6 months I have purchased 3 more Gen VIIIs and a Krell 300 duo amp. By the time, I finish with the upgrade of the last Gen VIII, I'll have spent about 20k. I'm "tapped out." You are right, I don't have any money.

Steve, I could have upgraded my Casablanca a long time ago. I"ve just chosen to go a different route. My Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Hemi , slowed me too. By hey, it rages in the mud! I love it! Here’s a pic of it too, lol. For 20 years I only drove used cars so I could spend more money on audio! With all my daughter is doing, soccer, martial arts, the princess complained about my old car so I bought a new one.

So, back to the Casablanca V upgrade. I've chosen my path and juggled all of this gear with Kramer control and an SL-280 "brain." Kramer has a driver for the Gen VIII with feedback and control over most parameters. It works well but it would work better if I had a Casablanca V! My dealer should be upgrading my Casablanca in 6 months or so. It will take that much time for my free cash to regenerate. I’m a poor guy.
No, Kevin, you are a rich guy. You are married with a wonderful wife and a fantastic daughter, and although you love your audio and home theater hobby, you prioritize your family first and are careful in budgeting how much to spend when on your hobby. If only the US government did this at least before Covid-19 hit! What one can afford or spends on audio, video or any other gear, or on anything else, diamonds, jewelry, cars, etc - its all relative. There are always folks with more money than any of us. People should not be judged by how "rich" or how much money they have, but by the type of persons they are, how they live up to their responsibilities with their families , etc. I am some years older than you, retired, my wife has passed away, and yea I am going more all out this time on my theater upgrade. I would gladly trade away most of it to have my wife here giving me some orders, including downsizing our home, and not going crazy like I am on my theater renovation and upgrade. You do not have to justify what you spend for what - as fellow hobbyists, we're simply interested in what each of us is doing in our audio and theater hobbies, that's all. Don't give us this horsewash (is that a word?) that you are "poor" - if anything you are smart and rich in many ways! You can bet if I was still in my mid-50s and married with younger not 30ish kids that I would not now be doing this crazy theater renovation and upgrade and whatever I would do would be much more modest.

post #13432 of 13438 Old 07-11-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
My Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Hemi , slowed me too. By hey, it rages in the mud! I love it! Here’s a pic of it too, lol. For 20 years I only drove used cars so I could spend more money on audio! With all my daughter is doing, soccer, martial arts, the princess complained about my old car so I bought a new one.
Hot Damn! That is some car! No way I'll show you mine because it won't compare! You should have some fun as aside from working full time, you are so busy with all of your daughter's activities. Very, very nice set of wheels!

post #13433 of 13438 Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
My Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Hemi , slowed me too. By hey, it rages in the mud! I love it! Here’️s a pic of it too, lol. For 20 years I only drove used cars so I could spend more money on audio! With all my daughter is doing, soccer, martial arts, the princess complained about my old car so I bought a new one.
Hot Damn! That is some car! No way I'll show you mine because it won't compare! You should have some fun as aside from working full time, you are so busy with all of your daughter's activities. Very, very nice set of wheels!
Steve, thank you for the kind words. I have been stuck in my Jeep now, 3 times and wenched out twice. The solution is not one that I want. I need more capable off-road tires. They are noisy. I don't like the way they look either. This brings me to the completion of my dedicated room. The acoustical treatments I have, about 30 RPG Skyline diffusers, aren't appropriate in the room I am using. Neither are the large tube bass traps, 6 feet tall and 18 inches in diameter. My wife does not like the way they look. They would solve many of my acoustical problems as would the "mud tires, " solve my getting stuck. Both situations have a technical aspect. The jeep employees, varies traction controls,, has skid pads and is amply powered, But without the right physical environment, correct tires, this can only go so far. A great sounding room is the same in that room correction will only take me so far. I'm going to have to put on the big knobby tires, RPG Skyline diffusers, if I want the sound, I once had.

post #13434 of 13438 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Even Trinnov recommends in terms of sonics speakers, room treatments, and then digital room correction/optimization. Maybe you can do a large bass trap built into a wall? And perhaps some nice looking acoustic panels, like Vicoustics, which is what PS Audio is using?

I took out all my Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers, etc, spending too much $$ going with Quest Acoustical Interiors. But with a 11.12.13 system, I figure I need a more modern working acoustics treatments coincidentally one in terms of looks that even my late wife would approve (though she would be going out and buying herself probably a Jeep like yours to do off roading, too, to get back at me for what I am spending. HA!) And at the back wall we are building in one super large bass trap that will be totally hidden.

post #13435 of 13438 Old Today, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'm only 67 - please, I don't need to get older that quickly!

As for "fading hearing, at times supplemented by hearing aids" - apparently its your memory and recollection that's fading not mine.

So we are all good, and there is hope 😀

Last edited by ANRE; Today at 05:00 AM.
post #13436 of 13438 Old Today, 05:23 AM

Is my understanding correct that a CB4a can’t be upgraded with latest Dirac SW ?

Is it also correct that CBV doesn’t have latest Dirac implementation, and it also cannot be upgraded with Dirac SW ?

I suggest anyone interested in Room Correction read Mitch Barnett’s articles about the subjects. And please also take time to click on the links he provides.
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-...te-sound-r923/

Here is another thread where I think a very interesting question is raised.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...-dsp/#comments

I really like to see fiber network interface on my G8.

The G8 can’t do DSD, but at least it could be a very nice Roon/HQPlayer endpoint/streamer.

I think my G8S3 even today outperform many new USB DAC’s. I wonder how it would come out in a review today ?
Even a fantastic DAC as APL use a 18 years old DAC chip

Last edited by ANRE; Today at 05:41 AM.
post #13437 of 13438 Old Today, 06:57 AM

Quote:
And in your case, you already have the DACs (4 Gen VIIIs), so it just a question of paying the upgrade cost from a CBIII to a CBV.
Things may not be that simple. The G8 is still in production and is considered as Theta’s top DAC.
(Well he could probably upgrade and leave DAC slots empty 😀)

I’m saying this cause I’ve just learned that HMDI maybe not be very good for audio at all.
(Read the post where I linked to a tread in AS).

I started this never ending upgrade carousel hoping there was a way to combine top stereo with a SSP.
Even today probably Theta is the only one that are able to do both well.

I suppose most of us still using more time on audio than on movie, so keeping the G8 seems like a very good idea.

I suppose G8 will never accept DSD 512 or 1024. High sampling rate DSD seems to be considered as the best format today. And that will include HQPlayer SW. Maybe Theta some day will release something that accepts DSD ?
Makes me thinking that the DAC chip used in CB8 actually accepts DSD. So maybe something is possible 😀

Today I believe the best way to achieve good digital audio (in stereo) is to stay away from any manufacturer that offers DSP, including room correction, in their product. Unless that manufacturer offering (lifetime) SW upgrade from the following companies: Audiolence / Dirac / Acourate and probably HAF I should also include include this service as well. But both those services support DSP by Roon. So we’re covered. At least for PCM and possibly some DSP depending on where your Roon is installed.

The best place to do any DSP (including RC) is in a computer far away from your audio gear. This is where you play with new HW, better SW, and leave your expensive amps and preamps and DAC away from the upgrade carousel. Some old products are still valid as one of the best even today.

Roon with services as Tidal and Qobuz integrated, (Deezer to come as well), is the future as of today.
Roon has a very good way to integrate your private collection CD’s and other hi res material.

What’s happening between your Roon and your amplifier is where technology is developing towards today.

Luckily more and more companies is partnering with Roon. There is hope.

Last edited by ANRE; Today at 07:07 AM.
post #13438 of 13438 Old Today, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
I’m saying this cause I’ve just learned that HMDI maybe not be very good for audio at all.
(Read the post where I linked to a tread in AS).
WOW! I figured that out years ago. This is why ROON Ready ethernet is so essential!
ANRE likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page