AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/)
-   -   Darbee Darblet (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/1410383-darbee-darblet.html)

LJG 05-13-2012 09:49 AM

What do you guys think about this for our high end projectors? https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1399154

aceg1 05-15-2012 10:55 PM

I picked one up. It is an amazing product for the price. In moderation it adds quite a bit of "sharpening" of the picture. I've tried but can really find no downside or negative impact to the picture.

joerod 05-15-2012 11:34 PM

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

stephenbr 05-16-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

Joerod - the link to the review on your homepage is not working.

stephenbr 05-16-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

Joerod - the link to the review on your homepage is not working.

I tried again from Joerod's homepage and it works - just didn't work when trying to access it from the review page.

AV Science Sales 4 05-16-2012 04:26 AM

Lon. I just came back from visiting Alan. I brought my Darblet with me and Alan kept it. Enough said. I had to our stock room ship another to me. We have them in stock at $249 plus $20 freight. Usual try it and return it if you don't like it policy applies. I think the better your projector and screen(s) the more you would appreciate the improvement made by the Darblet. Highly recommended for all, but especially the big boys.

LJG 05-16-2012 07:25 AM

Mark:

Is it similar to the contrast enhancement on your Lumagen Radiance?

joerod 05-16-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

I tried again from Joerod's homepage and it works - just didn't work when trying to access it from the review page.

I have to fix that. Thanks.

Alan Gouger 05-16-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Mark:

Is it similar to the contrast enhancement on your Lumagen Radiance?

Hi Lon

Not sure what is going on in the Darbee but it does appear some sort of contrast enhancement is taking place to extract detail. The processing does not change the contrast of the image like the Lumagen. Like anything else as long as you do not over process the image I did not see any negatives if keeping this in the video chain. It gets a thumbs up

batborsen 05-17-2012 12:04 AM

Hi! does av science store ship internationally?

Ericglo 05-17-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

I am on the edge of my seat.

Jive Turkey 05-17-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

I see you emphasize the improvement with DirectTV more than Bluray, but looking at the pictures from "The Grey", I see very noticeable differences at both 40% and 80%. Those photos alone make me want to give it a whirl with my oldish VW-60.

Nice job. Thanks.

Jive Turkey 05-17-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Lon. I just came back from visiting Alan. I brought my Darblet with me and Alan kept it. Enough said. I had to our stock room ship another to me. We have them in stock at $249 plus $20 freight. Usual try it and return it if you don't like it policy applies. I think the better your projector and screen(s) the more you would appreciate the improvement made by the Darblet. Highly recommended for all, but especially the big boys.

Currently shown as "out of stock" on the AVS store. Any idea when it'll be available again?

RonF 05-17-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I see you emphasize the improvement with DirectTV more than Bluray, but looking at the pictures from "The Grey", I see very noticeable differences at both 40% and 80%. Those photos alone make me want to give it a whirl with my oldish VW-60.

Nice job. Thanks.

I feel skittish about even posting in this forum, but here is a quick review Jeff Meier had same day while on the road working 2 Mondays ago, about 3 hours after touching up an RS50 on a 2.8 HP screen in my theater.

These were after carefully playing with the remote control and the settings in 5 point increments on mainly the Hi Def and Full Pop modes. There's a third for "gamers" and CGI. True to all of the "purists" with mainly his Bluray reference copy of Casino Royale, he really only commented from the 3 lowest settings in Hi Def ..... 5 / 10 / 15.


http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=1909

mani 05-17-2012 02:35 PM

What exactly does this device do??
I already have HOST part of sim2 as a video processor. I use sharpness level somewhere in the middle. Sim2 being 3 chip DLP doesnt have much issues with motion blur or POP in the image or sharpness. So what will this device do that video processor cant do ?? It seems like a stripped down video processor that just increased sharpness ? What exactly is in it? What does it exactly do to the signal? Why not get DVD edge for less than 500 new and have much more functions??

Mani

DarbeeDr 05-17-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

What exactly does this device do??
I already have HOST part of sim2 as a video processor. I use sharpness level somewhere in the middle. Sim2 being 3 chip DLP doesnt have much issues with motion blur or POP in the image or sharpness. So what will this device do that video processor cant do ?? It seems like a stripped down video processor that just increased sharpness ? What exactly is in it? What does it exactly do to the signal? Why not get DVD edge for less than 500 new and have much more functions??

Mani


This White Paper explains the genesis of the technology and development of the product. It may answer many of your questions that relate to "why" DVP is qualitatively different and better.
-DD

DarbeeVision White Paper

Mike Garrett 05-17-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

Hi! does av science store ship internationally?

Please shoot me an email.

LJG 05-17-2012 04:21 PM

I am going to try one what the hell, Mark you have an email...

mani 05-17-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

This White Paper explains the genesis of the technology and development of the product. It may answer many of your questions that relate to "why" DVP is qualitatively different and better.
-DD

DarbeeVision White Paper

sounds intriguing....Now if I want to try it , I have few questions:

- Where do I exactly place it in the chain? Before the video processor ( i.e. HOST of Sim2 2 Lumis in my case ) or after the HOST (i.e. beteen HOST and projector?
- Will I need recalibration after adding Darbee (i.e. ) will it change contrast or black level / colors or any other attributres in a way that needs recalibration ( I understand it will increase sharpness and perceived contrast and depth , so that obviously we wont recalibrate for )
- Have any HDMI handshake issues been reported with Sim2 or Oppo or Kscape?

Thanks
mani

cal87 05-17-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

sounds intriguing....Now if I want to try it , I have few questions:

- Where do I exactly place it in the chain? Before the video processor ( i.e. HOST of Sim2 2 Lumis in my case ) or after the HOST (i.e. beteen HOST and projector?
- Will I need recalibration after adding Darbee (i.e. ) will it change contrast or black level / colors or any other attributres in a way that needs recalibration ( I understand it will increase sharpness and perceived contrast and depth , so that obviously we wont recalibrate for )
- Have any HDMI handshake issues been reported with Sim2 or Oppo or Kscape?

Thanks
mani

Well, since it is an HDMI device, it has to be before the HOST. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday, so I should be able to answer your other questions.

LJG 05-17-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post


Well, since it is an HDMI device, it has to be before the HOST. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday, so I should be able to answer your other questions.

If the host is a video processor the darbee should go after it not before

mani 05-17-2012 09:13 PM

I guess I was not thinking straight , HOST has HDMI's in and optical out which goes to PJ. So it has to go before HOST. Now is it still worth it if all the video processing is going to happen after Darbee?

cal87 05-18-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I guess I was not thinking straight , HOST has HDMI's in and optical out which goes to PJ. So it has to go before HOST. Now is it still worth it if all the video processing is going to happen after Darbee?

The HOST is really no different than the non-HOST version. It is just an input box with fiberoptic output which allows you to go a long distance. I think the processing is the same as the non-HOST version.

I think any projector or display has some degree of processing, so I do not think your concern is valid.

Now, whether there is any benefit, we'll have to see.

wmassie 05-18-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

What exactly does this device do??
I already have HOST part of sim2 as a video processor. I use sharpness level somewhere in the middle. Sim2 being 3 chip DLP doesnt have much issues with motion blur or POP in the image or sharpness. So what will this device do that video processor cant do ?? It seems like a stripped down video processor that just increased sharpness ? What exactly is in it? What does it exactly do to the signal? Why not get DVD edge for less than 500 new and have much more functions??

Mani

These may also help explain the science behind this process
http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/D...e-DVP;CES-2011
http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/D...on-DVP-History

mmiles 05-18-2012 11:24 AM

In the case of your SSP having built in video processing, like mine, would you put the DD between the SSP and projector or between the source and SSP?

JlgLaw 05-19-2012 04:29 AM

The HOST is not a dedicated VP, it is as Cal87 has stated. It does process just like any other display. It was built to help with long cable runs and a need for additional inputs.


Jim

DarbeeDr 05-19-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

sounds intriguing....Now if I want to try it , I have few questions:

- Where do I exactly place it in the chain? Before the video processor ( i.e. HOST of Sim2 2 Lumis in my case ) or after the HOST (i.e. beteen HOST and projector?
- Will I need recalibration after adding Darbee (i.e. ) will it change contrast or black level / colors or any other attributres in a way that needs recalibration ( I understand it will increase sharpness and perceived contrast and depth , so that obviously we wont recalibrate for )
- Have any HDMI handshake issues been reported with Sim2 or Oppo or Kscape?

Thanks
mani

Darbee Visual Presence technology doesn't modify noise, blocking, or scale the image, so put the Darblet after such global image modification technologies. The Darblet creates a greater appearance of clarity and natural contrast so you may turn down the sharpening and contrast sweetening/modification technologies in the devices that are in line before it.
- DD

CRAZZZY 05-19-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

Darbee Visual Presence technology doesn't modify noise, blocking, or scale the image, so put the Darblet after such global image modification technologies. The Darblet creates a greater appearance of clarity and natural contrast so you may turn down the sharpening and contrast sweetening/modification technologies in the devices that are in line before it.
- DD

So the Darblet should go after the source and before the display. Such as Hd Tivo into hdmi switcher, then into my Algolith Mosquito which outputs into the Darblet and finally on to my projector. Please let me now if this is correct.

Oh, any plans to offer a component input/output version?. I still have and use a few Jvc W-vhs and D-vhs units without Hdmi.

Thanks,
CK

cal87 05-19-2012 06:04 PM

FedEx just showed up with a little package.
I wasn't expecting it so soon. Hopefully will have a chance to play a little bit tonight.

DarbeeDr 05-19-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

So the Darblet should go after the source and before the display. Such as Hd Tivo into hdmi switcher, then into my Algolith Mosquito which outputs into the Darblet and finally on to my projector. Please let me now if this is correct.

Oh, any plans to offer a component input/output version?. I still have and use a few Jvc W-vhs and D-vhs units without Hdmi.

Thanks,
CK

The lash up you describe is correct.

There is a significant market for an analog interfaced version of our product. We can only say that we are hoping to eventually directly satisfy such needs. In the mean time, the Darblet is happy to work with HDMI compatible A/D converters.
-DD


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.