Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1149Likes

post #5761 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys ,, HELP !!!~~~

I have a RS20i in my dedicated HT room and love it , but right now I am setting up a 2 CHANNEL system that requires ( crossover + bi-amp + sub extension ) the speaker is a JBL4350 ,, and I am going to be using BOULDER Amps for this setup , ( and possible Procella 15" dual subs)

So for this setup ,,, I think a RS20i should do the job ( I am getting one unit from a project that we are taking down the RS20i from the showroom ) ,,, so I am thinking to just use the RS20i for this 2 channel setup as it will do all
the asked task above.

HOWEVER ! ,, As a 2 channel guys I am also looking at the Trinnov Amethyst as well,,, has anyone heard both unit or had similar experience using RS20i as a 2 channel , or have heard the direct comparison between the two unit ?

I know this is probably a rare comparison ,, but I am hoping the rs20i is good enough to get the job done,
so I won't have to purchase extra unit ( however Amethyst is quiet well priced too and with Roon compatible )

HELP !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 01:30 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Asher @The Bogg has used both in his system (technically the Trinnov ST2 HiFi) and should be able to help you out. Hard to see enough, if any, real benefit to warrant the additional $$$ purchase of an Amethyst, though....
post #5763 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked: 3208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911turbojk View Post
Guys ,, HELP !!!~~~

I have a RS20i in my dedicated HT room and love it , but right now I am setting up a 2 CHANNEL system that requires ( crossover + bi-amp + sub extension ) the speaker is a JBL4350 ,, and I am going to be using BOULDER Amps for this setup , ( and possible Procella 15" dual subs)

So for this setup ,,, I think a RS20i should do the job ( I am getting one unit from a project that we are taking down the RS20i from the showroom ) ,,, so I am thinking to just use the RS20i for this 2 channel setup as it will do all
the asked task above.

HOWEVER ! ,, As a 2 channel guys I am also looking at the Trinnov Amethyst as well,,, has anyone heard both unit or had similar experience using RS20i as a 2 channel , or have heard the direct comparison between the two unit ?

I know this is probably a rare comparison ,, but I am hoping the rs20i is good enough to get the job done,
so I won't have to purchase extra unit ( however Amethyst is quiet well priced too and with Roon compatible )

HELP !!!
I just switched from an RS20i to the Trinnov. ONLY because I wanted to dabble in more channels. For your application (since you already own the RS20i) it will work perfectly. In my opinion, price new not withstanding, there is virtually zero audible difference if both are set up properly (I'm sure the Trinnov Fans may not agree) I'm one of the few who has made the switch and am a 2 channel guy (The Bogg being another if I recall correctly). The RS20i will do bi-amping (I have done it) and most certainly will handle your separate subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I just switched from an RS20i to the Trinnov. ONLY because I wanted to dabble in more channels. For your application (since you already own the RS20i) it will work perfectly. In my opinion, price new not withstanding, there is virtually zero audible difference if both are set up properly (I'm sure the Trinnov Fans may not agree) I'm one of the few who has made the switch and am a 2 channel guy (The Bogg being another if I recall correctly). The RS20i will do bi-amping (I have done it) and most certainly will handle your separate subs
Dear Audioguy

Thank you so much of the response ! and I was hoping this was the reality too that the RS20i will be good enough to do the job ,,, especially with the new 4k switching card , it will certainly make the setup a lot easier ( more wife friendly )

and plus who knows I might want to add a surround and center speaker down the road , but like you said ,, I was seeking for advice from also a more HI-END 2 channel person perspective as well, tho I am 2 channel I also firmly believe in technology that how much the EQ can also do to the system , I believe that a system that has peak and dips,,, as good as it might sounds , but if you have a -10db in 32hz ,, and a +15db in 250khz ,, its just not going to sounds that good,,
so I am hoping that Datasat's DAC capability can somewhat get to that 2 channel critical performance , and still sounds decent ,,,

But again if Trinnov isn't going to be huge step up from RS20i I think I prefer to keep my piggy bank at the house for now ! lol !
post #5765 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dear Audioguy

Thank you so much of the response ! and I was hoping this was the reality too that the RS20i will be good enough to do the job ,,, especially with the new 4k switching card , it will certainly make the setup a lot easier ( more wife friendly )

and plus who knows I might want to add a surround and center speaker down the road , but like you said ,, I was seeking for advice from also a more HI-END 2 channel person perspective as well, tho I am 2 channel I also firmly believe in technology that how much the EQ can also do to the system , I believe that a system that has peak and dips,,, as good as it might sounds , but if you have a -10db in 32hz ,, and a +15db in 250khz ,, its just not going to sounds that good,,
so I am hoping that Datasat's DAC capability can somewhat get to that 2 channel critical performance , and still sounds decent ,,,

But again if Trinnov isn't going to be huge step up from RS20i I think I prefer to keep my piggy bank at the house for now ! lol !
The RS20i DACs are excellent. The individual who purchased my RS20i sold $42K worth of dCS gear (DAC, clock and upsampler) and his RS20i gave up nothing + better in room response !!
911turbojk and Ganymed4 like this.
post #5766 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
The RS20i DACs are excellent. The individual who purchased my RS20i sold $42K worth of dCS gear (DAC, clock and upsampler) and his RS20i gave up nothing + better in room response !!
WWOWOW ! , thats a bold statement ! love it ! so did the guy actually had similar situation as me , so he used the RS20i to drive his 2 channel setup ? Very interesting to learn more !
post #5767 of 5958 Old 06-14-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WWOWOW ! , thats a bold statement ! love it ! so did the guy actually had similar situation as me , so he used the RS20i to drive his 2 channel setup ? Very interesting to learn more !
It drives his 2 channel system AND when he uses the room as a home theater, it becomes a 7.x.4 Atmos system. His 2 channel system consists of Spectral amps driving Magico speakers.
post #5768 of 5958 Old 06-15-2018, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Liked: 2025
Quote:
When I first got my RS20i, I used it as a 2-channel pre-amp whilst I was finishing fitting out my cinema room. It worked incredibly well, and only gave up a small percentage to my current Levinson 2-channel pre-amp, and that was without any EQ.

Putting my 'audiophile' hat on for a moment, bear in mind that you will be limited to 96Khz, anything higher will be downsampled to apply room correction, and likewise any DSD streams (which I believe the latest USB port can take) will be converted to PCM and downsampled to 96Khz. Also, depneding on your seating distance, the fan on the RS20i will likely raise your noise floor.

Thats said, those losses (even if they are audible) will be fair outweighed by the benefit of room correction. Then again, if you use Roon, you can perform EQ digitally in the Core without any of those issues (it even works on DSD without conversion to PCM) rather than in the pre-amp.
post #5769 of 5958 Old 06-15-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Guys ,, HELP !!!~~~

the asked task above.

HELP !!!
Hey, I'm a 2 channel guy and as noted I have had the Trinnov ST2 in my 2 channel system. It's a dedicated room with 2 channel the focus and 7.4.4 for movies. My mains are active ATC 100 Anniversary towers. I can give you my opinion for whatever it is worth:

For reference, I had a Krell KRC-HR preamp originally. I auditioned the Levinson 326S followed by the ATC SCA2 preamp and ended up with the ATC as it sounded best to me. When I bought the Trinnov I very carefully compared the system using either the ATC or the Trinnov as the preamp. They were both pretty good and I did the comparison without any room correction involved. Obviously it would sound quite different with the Trinnov doing some room correction. I auditioned the RS20 and to be honest I found the 2 channel quality to be better than anything I previously had used. I'm still tweaking whenever I have time. I'm honest with myself and if I didn't think the RS20 cut it for audio I would have just kept my dedicated preamp. The fact that it simplifies things by just having the RS20 for both audio and ht is a bonus but it wasn't mandatory for me. Hope that helps.

Nice avatar name, are you a Porsche guy? My other "baby" is a highly modified 911 turbo.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #5770 of 5958 Old 06-15-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Nice avatar name, are you a Porsche guy? My other "baby" is a highly modified 911 turbo.
Figures. I've owned a 944 (pseudo Porche?) , 911 Cabriolet, 911 Targa, 911 Coupe and then the Boxter. Of all of those, the Boxter was the most fun to drive. Came close to having it modified with a 911 engine. The more current Boxter's have a good bit more horsepower!

Wonderful cars to own and drive.....
post #5771 of 5958 Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Hey boys ! Hahahah wise mind thinks alike lol ! I am driving the 997 TTS right now , and love it ! I actually had 993TT, 996TT, and one of the thing that I regret most in my life was that I sold the 993TT(silver 96' with 13k miles ) a few years back ,,, that is the worst mistake I have made and till date I beat myself up for it lol ! ,,, But loving every moment with it ! ,,,, !

And thank you guys for all the confirmation with the RS20i ,,,I am glad that it confirms what i was hoping for ! , that really make the life so much easier !

Quote:
Figures. I've owned a 944 (pseudo Porche?) , 911 Cabriolet, 911 Targa, 911 Coupe and then the Boxter. Of all of those, the Boxter was the most fun to drive. Came close to having it modified with a 911 engine. The more current Boxter's have a good bit more horsepower!

Wonderful cars to own and drive.....

Last edited by 911turbojk; 06-15-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #5772 of 5958 Old 06-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dirac calibration

Now that Datasat has been in the hands of ATI for a while, does anyone know if the very old rumors of a calibration kit for users are in the works?

Or if their attitude towards selling the Dirac software key to users have changed (seeing as the hardware can be sourced separately if need be)

Cheers

H
post #5773 of 5958 Old 06-27-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfunder View Post
Dirac calibration

Now that Datasat has been in the hands of ATI for a while, does anyone know if the very old rumors of a calibration kit for users are in the works?

Or if their attitude towards selling the Dirac software key to users have changed (seeing as the hardware can be sourced separately if need be)

Cheers

H
As of about three weeks ago, nothing had changed. Can't speak for what might have happened since then.
post #5774 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I’m simply curious about any activity within ATI regarding Datasat. Updates, new platform, direction.....they’ve gotta be working on some things. Would love to know!!
grtuck likes this.
post #5775 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrock View Post
I’m simply curious about any activity within ATI regarding Datasat. Updates, new platform, direction.....they’ve gotta be working on some things. Would love to know!!
Given how slowly thing happen on their Theta platform, I wouldn't expect them to do anything dramatic with Datasat.
post #5776 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Well, they've announced the ATI ATP16 based upon the Datasat platform, though no release date has been given.
post #5777 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Well, they've announced the ATI ATP16 based upon the Datasat platform, though no release date has been given.
Maybe at CEDIA this year?
post #5778 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Maybe at CEDIA this year?
We shall see and I'll be there.
post #5779 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
We shall see and I'll be there.
I've paid for the show tickets and trying to figure out a way to make it work with some other stuff I have going on.
post #5780 of 5958 Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
I've paid for the show tickets and trying to figure out a way to make it work with some other stuff I have going on.
Chuck, you have a PM.
post #5781 of 5958 Old 07-04-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Hi guys can you please help! None of these new ati-amp.com addresses works. Does anybody have the correct e-mail addresses to reach tech support or customer service?

Can somebody who owns the Dirac 2 software tell me the latest version #? Mine is 1.0.5 and it is from 2016 and it crashes often.

Thank you in advance.
post #5782 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a 7.4.4 setup with 7 ground level speakers, 4 subs (all fed from the same input #4 ) and 2 pairs of ceiling speakers. Which preset is the "best" or most appropriate for my speaker settings? I used the Auro 11.1 (7.4.4) preset and it didn't read the Atmos stream when I played Star Trek Beyond bluray. I assumed that it wouldn't matter which output preset I used but perhaps I was wrong. The bass was over the top wonky too so obviously I have to play with the setup for this preset. I just temporarily turned down the bass so the movie was watchable.

post #5783 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Hi guys can you please help! None of these new ati-amp.com addresses works. Does anybody have the correct e-mail addresses to reach tech support or customer service?

Can somebody who owns the Dirac 2 software tell me the latest version #? Mine is 1.0.5 and it is from 2016 and it crashes often.

Thank you in advance.
I think that's the same version as mine...will check later. Not sure if there are any updates available. I'm running it on a laptop with windows 10.

post #5784 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a 7.4.4 setup with 7 ground level speakers, 4 subs (all fed from the same input #4 ) and 2 pairs of ceiling speakers. Which preset is the "best" or most appropriate for my speaker settings? I used the Auro 11.1 (7.4.4) preset and it didn't read the Atmos stream when I played Star Trek Beyond bluray. I assumed that it wouldn't matter which output preset I used but perhaps I was wrong. The bass was over the top wonky too so obviously I have to play with the setup for this preset. I just temporarily turned down the bass so the movie was watchable.
There is a 7.1.4 Atmos layout preset, so just use that.
post #5785 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
There is a 7.1.4 Atmos layout preset, so just use that.
hmmm...I must have missed that, lol. thanks

post #5786 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only manual I could find online is the same one I have v1.02. There is no mention of the 7.1.4 atmos layout preset...I will check my unit when I get home, is it an OUTPUT preset that is labelled 7.1.4Atmos? I looked in the "bass management" section and it doesn't look like any of the choices is exactly what I've got which is puzzling, lol.

post #5787 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just saw on the previous page in Ganymed's post where to change the layout...at least my posts bumped this thread up to the top, lol.

post #5788 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Thank you in advance.
I have 1.0.5 build 4205. No problems with it....

post #5789 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have 1.0.5 build 4205. No problems with it....

Thanks a lot, mine crashes quite often during measurements - moving to the next position. Because this software is already more than two years old, I thought there would be an update but it seems not.
post #5790 of 5958 Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just saw on the previous page in Ganymed's post where to change the layout...at least my posts bumped this thread up to the top, lol.

Well yes, for the RS20i you need to change the output preset to Auro - I would recommend 13.1, even you don't have all the speakers. I was told by Mike Smith, that you should use Auro 13.1 to get the full Auro functionality. For Dolby Atmos or DTS:X there is no 7.1.4 output preset, only 7.1 and you have to switch on the heights manually in Bass Management. Check out the possible channel assignments for both layout types, it is written there and also in the manual.

Hope it helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page