Official DataSat RS20i thread. (Setup Tips, Questions,General Info, etc) - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1152Likes

post #5941 of 5971 Old 05-22-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Yes, I can only agree to what Wookii wrote and I also know configurations using 4 subwoofers with an RS20i using a Behringer DCX2496 taking the advantage of using one SW out on the RS20i and splitting this into 4 SW outputs. Just as an example.
That is surely one of the drawbacks of the RS20i and why so many people moved on to Trinnov.
However, in my personal opinion, if you can cope with that, everything is fine with the RS20i and Dirac. Just put your SW on channel 13 to channel 9 - in your case and you are fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 5971 Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Kiman44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Success! Once I understood that it was working off of inputs, it all came together, and yes, I reassigned 13 to 9, so it was all continuous. Everything came over properly into the rs20i. Sounds pretty amazing so far. Need more time with it. The tuning process got a little finicky, where I was getting strange failures, but I figured out that after every position sweep, the pre amp started blinking it’s meter source lights, instead of keeping it locked on pc. That was leading to strange recording capture. So after every sweep, when it asked me to move the mic, I unplugged and rep lugged in the pre amp to the PC, and it reset it. Using that method, all recordings were fine. Not sure why it freaked out, probably a driver issue, but I didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole when I was trying to get some tuning done! Thanks for your help, both of you. Now that I understand how the software is “thinking” I can work with it, no issues.
post #5943 of 5971 Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When you have time, you can check frequency response (esp below 300 Hz) and apply Parametric EQ to tweak it further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5944 of 5971 Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 AM
Kiman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
When you have time, you can check frequency response (esp below 300 Hz) and apply Parametric EQ to tweak it further.
Do you mean with something like REW?
post #5945 of 5971 Old 05-23-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pacione View Post
The tuning process got a little finicky, where I was getting strange failures, but I figured out that after every position sweep, the pre amp started blinking it’s meter source lights, instead of keeping it locked on pc. That was leading to strange recording capture. So after every sweep, when it asked me to move the mic, I unplugged and rep lugged in the pre amp to the PC, and it reset it.

That is truly strange behavior and not normal for a Dirac measurement cycle. My first recommendation would be to check the connection between PC and RS20i. If it is wireless, you should change to wired and see if this behavior persists.

But - as you already wrote - this can have different reasons.

Do you use Dirac 2 and also have the right settings and software?

I just checked the Datasat website and Mike is not listed there anymore. Natasha Brady seems to have taken over the part of customer technical support. You find her e-mail address here: https://www.datasatdigital.com/team/ under customer technical support or try one from this page: https://www.datasatdigital.com/contact-us/

If you need an upgrade for Dirac you can get it via Datasat, mine was free of charge.
post #5946 of 5971 Old 05-23-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

John, Ideally running REW would be good- so you can get to see response (and also after you Dirac too) IMHO will be good to minimize variance as much possible and then run RC/Dirac.

Agree with above- check laptop/pc-router connection persistence; I did not experience that (since you have same latest Calibration kit like I have).
post #5947 of 5971 Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Kiman44

Good suggestion to call and make sure the software is up to date. I know I got decent measurements, so it’s not the end of the world, but would like for the process to be a bit more smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
That is truly strange behavior and not normal for a Dirac measurement cycle. My first recommendation would be to check the connection between PC and RS20i. If it is wireless, you should change to wired and see if this behavior persists.

But - as you already wrote - this can have different reasons.

Do you use Dirac 2 and also have the right settings and software?

I just checked the Datasat website and Mike is not listed there anymore. Natasha Brady seems to have taken over the part of customer technical support. You find her e-mail address here: https://www.datasatdigital.com/team/ under customer technical support or try one from this page: https://www.datasatdigital.com/contact-us/

If you need an upgrade for Dirac you can get it via Datasat, mine was free of charge.
post #5948 of 5971 Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are using the Dirac software with a hardware dongle, this is Dirac 1. For Dirac 2 you need an online account at Dirac.se and you need to log in once to activate the license.
The Dirac version I have is 1.05.
This version numbering doesn't follow the consumer Dirac version numbering, which has recently reached Dirac v. 2 but this is not the same and all standard Dirac software doesn't work with Datasat. You need a specific OEM version for Datasat which is also not supported by Dirac directly. I've tried once.

Good luck!
post #5949 of 5971 Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Kiman44

I was version 1.0.3. I asked datasat and received a newer link, with driver, so installed both. I’ll try in the next few days to do measurements again. So far datasat has been fast and easy to work with!

Quote:
If you are using the Dirac software with a hardware dongle, this is Dirac 1. For Dirac 2 you need an online account at Dirac.se and you need to log in once to activate the license.
The Dirac version I have is 1.05.
This version numbering doesn't follow the consumer Dirac version numbering, which has recently reached Dirac v. 2 but this is not the same and all standard Dirac software doesn't work with Datasat. You need a specific OEM version for Datasat which is also not supported by Dirac directly. I've tried once.

Good luck!
post #5950 of 5971 Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Kiman44

Finally hung my sound traps, and ordered more to properly cover the room. Then planning on re-tuning. Is this what others have done- re-tune after sound panels? I’ve heard conflicting stories, but it seems to me that Dirac is just applying eq, so as the room gets ‘deader’ I would need less compensation for the liveliness?

Last edited by John Pacione; 05-25-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #5951 of 5971 Old 05-24-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I would change something in my room, I would always make another Dirac measurement. Standard procedure in my case.
post #5952 of 5971 Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Finally hung my sound traps, and ordered more to properly cover the room. Then planning on re-tuning. Is this what others have done- re-tune after sound panels? I’ve heard conflicting stories, but it seems to me that Dirac is just applying eq, so as th room gets ‘deader’ I would need less compensation for the liveliness?
It is way more complicated than "just EQ". And that you are adding acoustic panels of any kind absolutely necessitates re-measuring. Anyone who knows even a little about acoustics and what Dirac actually does could never offer a reasonable "conflicting story" for not re-measuring after adding or changing room treatment.
post #5953 of 5971 Old 05-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Kiman44

Thanks for the validation. I'll do it this weekend, and again when the rest of my traps come. Any chance one of you has the Janus control4 driver for the rs20i? I've registered on the site, but not sure I'll get "approved" before the long weekend is over, and I'd really like to take advantage of the time this weekend to get that driver plugged in.
post #5954 of 5971 Old 05-26-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am also using Control4 with my RS20i but a company provides this service for me and I don't have access to their drivers.
But there is one offered by Datasat on the additional resources page where all the downloads for the RS20i are located.
There you can find also a Control4 driver and because this development was paid to Janus by Datasat, it is may be the same driver? Who knows?

Hope it helps.
post #5955 of 5971 Old 05-26-2019, 05:48 AM
Kiman44

Quote:
I am also using Control4 with my RS20i but a company provides this service for me and I don't have access to their drivers.
But there is one offered by Datasat on the additional resources page where all the downloads for the RS20i are located.
There you can find also a Control4 driver and because this development was paid to Janus by Datasat, it is may be the same driver? Who knows?

Hope it helps.
Thanks. Do you have a link? I saw one on their website,and it was to a Dropbox location, but the link was no longer valid.
post #5956 of 5971 Old 05-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Kiman44

Quote:
Thanks. Do you have a link? I saw one on their website,and it was to a Dropbox location, but the link was no longer valid.
Nevermind. Found it. Thanks!
post #5957 of 5971 Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great and happy to hear this because the link on the RS20i page works. Otherwise I could have provided this for you.
post #5958 of 5971 Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Kiman44

Quote:
Great and happy to hear this because the link on the RS20i page works. Otherwise I could have provided this for you.
The issue I'm having, for anyone who knows the control4 system, is that the driver properly brings over each of the configured inputs from the datasat, one of which is an optical input for me. It comes across as "phantom input 8" and the type is "TOSA" in the System Design tab. That's correct. But when I go to the Connections tab, all of the phantom inputs show as "HDMI", and so "phantom input 8" cannot be assigned to an optical connection. The types have to match. And for some reason, the driver won't let me modify the type. Anyone else run across this? I'm quickly deep in the weeds with config!
post #5959 of 5971 Old 06-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello can someone please tell me what are the cost to upgrade an old rs20i to the new one.

- Cost of the atmos board
- Cost of the hdcp 2.2 board
- Dirac Live kit

I wrote datasat asking about this a week ago but no answer yet, asking this if it a viable to buy a used one and upgrade it.

Thanks.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9600 mediante Tapatalk
post #5960 of 5971 Old 07-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is RS20i realtively easy to setup?

Hi,

I have a budget of around 10Ku$s for a pre-pro and found a couple of used RS20i for around this price, including H555 decoder, HDMI 2.0b option, and Dirac Live.

For this budget, I can get a new Lyngdorf mp-50, top of the line Marantz, Emotiva RMC-1, NAD M17 v2, etc. but I after reading some reviews I have the impression that the RS20i will be waaaayyy better pre-pro at this price point. I'm not coming here to discuss this, I'm already convinced myself.

After reading the following review from HomeTheaterHiFi I got the impression that in order to perform the initial setup you'll need to hire some expert from Dataset, and if you want to continue tweaking the system, it won't be as intuitive or straightforward as other [already mentioned] pre-pro.

Here is the thing, my system is very simple 5.1, not Atmos, no multiple subwoofers, nothing to worry about. I do have plenty of experience setting up pre-pros and room corrections (but Dirac Live will be my first). I never had any major issues that a little tweaking and reading (forums, manual, articles) couldn't fix. My experience was (and is) always relatively pleasant and most at all, fun.

Am I getting into a completely different world buying a RS20i? A very steep learning curve, need to call experts, etc?

I know at the end is a personal decision, but I would like to hear the opinions of people who have a similar experience, coming from something different into the RS20i world.

Thanks in advance,
Javier
post #5961 of 5971 Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirado View Post
Hi,

Am I getting into a completely different world buying a RS20i? A very steep learning curve, need to call experts, etc?

I know at the end is a personal decision, but I would like to hear the opinions of people who have a similar experience, coming from something different into the RS20i world.

Thanks in advance,
Javier

If you are familiar with taking measurements, then this will be just another gear to set up and does not have steep learning curve. For me the biggest change was lack of out of the box remote/OSD setup from mass-market gear (Storm/Trinnov newer ones follow similar mode for setup). If you have sub 8 channel count-then it is all the more easier.

Regards,
Kishore

Last edited by Kishore; 07-05-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #5962 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Hi,

I have a budget of around 10Ku$s for a pre-pro and found a couple of used RS20i for around this price, including H555 decoder, HDMI 2.0b option, and Dirac Live.

For this budget, I can get a new Lyngdorf mp-50, top of the line Marantz, Emotiva RMC-1, NAD M17 v2, etc. but I after reading some reviews I have the impression that the RS20i will be waaaayyy better pre-pro at this price point. I'm not coming here to discuss this, I'm already convinced myself.

After reading the following review from HomeTheaterHiFi I got the impression that in order to perform the initial setup you'll need to hire some expert from Dataset, and if you want to continue tweaking the system, it won't be as intuitive or straightforward as other [already mentioned] pre-pro.

Here is the thing, my system is very simple 5.1, not Atmos, no multiple subwoofers, nothing to worry about. I do have plenty of experience setting up pre-pros and room corrections (but Dirac Live will be my first). I never had any major issues that a little tweaking and reading (forums, manual, articles) couldn't fix. My experience was (and is) always relatively pleasant and most at all, fun.

Thanks in advance,
Javier
Javier, it's a great unit but unless u have a source for the dirac software u wont be able to use that feature

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #5963 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
If you are familiar with taking measurements, then this will be just another gear to set up and does not have steep learning curve. For me the biggest change was lack of out of the box remote/OSD setup from mass-market gear (Storm/Trinnov newer ones follow similar mode for setup). If you have sub 8 channel count-then it is all the more easier.

Regards,
Kishore
Thanks! Not going to have a steep learning curve is what I want.

And yes, I do take measurements (old school tape and sound level meter) to double-check the pre-pro or as part of the required input data.
post #5964 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
Javier, it's a great unit but unless u have a source for the dirac software u wont be able to use that feature
Thanks, I do have a source.
post #5965 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Yea thats the only thing i hate about my Ls10. i can't calibrate it myself!

post #5966 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agree- the Datasat Mic Kit (which has calibrated Earthworks Mic) is cherry on top- Datasat team is also helpful to guide along the way.
post #5967 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Perfect. I just use a calibrated USB mic. Dirac is great. The unit itself is fairly complicated but the manual is useful for basic setup. Sound quality is amazing.

post #5968 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Agree- the Datasat Mic Kit (which has calibrated Earthworks Mic) is cherry on top- Datasat team is also helpful to guide along the way.
Just noticed you were in San Diego. I'm on a family road trip down California coast. Staying in San Diego for few days then back to Canada...where it is much warmer lol

post #5969 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Just noticed you were in San Diego. I'm on a family road trip down California coast. Staying in San Diego for few days then back to Canada...where it is much warmer lol
Funny! I go to Vancouver to visit friends often, then feel the cold and come back to [always] warm SD :-)
post #5970 of 5971 Old 07-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hope you have a nice stay here- (May/June are cloudy and we are just getting warmer now in SD). Will send you PM.

We are also blessed to have a very smart Comrade in Chief asking for more global warming here in US
Regards,
Kishore
The Bogg, llang269 and Ganymed4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page