369Likes

post #841 of 1406 Old 08-01-2016, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1137 View Post
Is it really true that only HDMI input 1 has HDCP 2.2? I was under the impression that ALL of the HDMI inputs and outputs are HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.
All inputs and outputs are HDMI 2.0 (not 2.0a), but only input 1 and output 2 are HDCP 2.2.

Later this year an updated board will change this so all of them are 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

At least, that is what I was told when I asked Datasat.

Sony 75" Z9D - Tivo Bolt+ - Roku Ultra - OPPO UDP-203 - Apple TV 4K
Datasat LS10 (w/ DIRAC - Atmos - DTS-X) - Two Emotiva XPA-7's (2nd Gen)
Seven Triad InWall Silver LCR's & Four KEF Ci200RR-THX Atmos speakers - Two Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24" subs - Vicoustic room treatment

Last edited by grtuck; 08-01-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Typo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1406 Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow, that's good to know. Thanks, guys.
grtuck likes this.
post #843 of 1406 Old 08-08-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So my Ls10 is on its way back to me!! Had Atmos and Dirac added to it. Can't wait to hook it back up!!
grtuck likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 1406 Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
So my Ls10 is on its way back to me!! Had Atmos and Dirac added to it. Can't wait to hook it back up!!
That is sweet, I'm loving mine more each day. The problem is that I am starting to watch too many movies now...
llang269 likes this.

Seven Triad InWall Silver LCR's & Four KEF Ci200RR-THX Atmos speakers - Two Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24" subs - Vicoustic room treatment
post #845 of 1406 Old 08-15-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Ok got it hooked back and all I can is wow! I missed the sound of this and not sure why but it even sounds better and I haven't ran Dirac yet! I used the setting I had before and the bass seems to be a lot louder and hits harder. Had to turn the Seatons down even more.
Mark Seaton and grtuck like this.

post #846 of 1406 Old 08-24-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Datasat at CEDIA BOOTH 4454

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Datasat cedia booth 4454.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1620921  
grtuck likes this.
post #847 of 1406 Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 131
LS10 - Impressions

I've had my LS10 for six weeks now. I listened to it for the first three weeks with only a basic set-up without any room correction. At first listen I immediately noticed more detail (compared to my former Marantz 8801) and greater dynamics. I watched several movies that I am familiar with and heard details that I had not noticed before. The sound was what I would call more "natural" than what the Marantz provided. The Marantz had a sizzle to it that could sound fatiguing after a while. The LS10 sounded clearer and did not have the harshness of the Marantz. This difference is not huge by any means, but, the difference is definitely there.

The bass was SO MUCH BETTER with the LS10. It was almost like I had added a subwoofer. Granted there was no EQ, but my room has fairly good bass response as is without correction. The bass blended well with the mains. This difference was significant compared to the Marantz.

Note that the above comparisons were between the Marantz 8801 with Audyssey XT32 enabled against the LS10 with only basic set-up and zero room correction. Also, all listening is through a basic 7.1 arrangement without Atmos and no ceiling/height speakers.

What surprised me the most was how well the LS10 performs with music. I first played a few redbook CD's through my Oppo BDP-103. The imaging was spot-on and the dynamic range of the soundfield was heads above the Marantz. The speakers disappeared. I have to admit that I am no longer the two-channel music snob I used to be. Thanks to AIX and the Logic7 processing of my previous Lexicon MC12, I now prefer multi-channel music listening. Therefore, my next step was to listen to music post-processed with DTS NeoX. OMG! The sound was simply amazing. Anyone who says the LS10 cannot perform well with music either hasn't heard the LS10 or just doesn't want to admit it. I selected the extracted two-channel bass to sub option. This gave the music all the bass I was missing with the Marantz 8801. The LS10 has definitely brought back my excitement for listening to music.

The above comments are based on my listening experience BEFORE any Dirac calibration.

Three weeks ago I had the Dirac calibration performed. After experimenting with a few curves I finally found the one to suit my tastes.

Dirac took my LS10 experience to the next level! With both music and movies the speakers became almost non-existent. The sound seemed to eminate from locations throughout the room without being localized to the speaker locations. The bass was just as strong, but became tighter and more impactful. I can describe that as bass that hits you in the chest.

I want to give special note to one immediate difference that Dirac provided that Audyssey did not in my system. My front LCR speakers are identical Aerial Acoustics LR5's. The L/R speakers are out in the room. The center channel is basically right against the wall below my screen. With the center speaker being so close to the wall the boundary effects always caused the center speaker to sound different than my left/right speakers. I never liked this, but it was a compromise I was forced to listen to because of my room.

What Dirac was able to do was correct my center channel room response to sound nearly identical to my left/right channels. This is a significant improvement as it provides seamless panning across my front three speakers. Again, Audyssey XT32 was never able to correct for this in my system.

Needless to say I am more than satisfied with my purchase. I wanted to live with the LS10 for a while before I posted my thoughts because it seems the more I listen the more impressed I am. The Marantz 8801 is an excellent sounding processor for its price range. However, the LS10 is simply in another league.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #848 of 1406 Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4581 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
@jdlynch : Really glad you are enjoying your LS10. I was pretty sure you would love it.

Given I own the RS20i, I don't want to take away anything from the Datasat hardware. BUT: About 18 months ago, I did a 7.x comparison between an RS20i and another SSP (I already forgot which one but it wasn't the 8801) without Dirac and Audyssey enabled and IDENTICALLY level matched and listening both sighted and completely blind. While there were differences, easily identifiable when sighted, those became MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more problematic when blind. In fact, I'm comfortable that I would have failed a full on blind listening test -- as would have the person who assisted me in operating the switch. Blind listening and removing all expectation bias changes everything.

But once we enabled Audyssey (Pro) and Dirac, it was no contest. The differences were so huge that a deaf person could have heard them blind or not. I am of the opinion that 95% of the improvement of the Datasat product over other SSP's is Dirac (but in the case of the RS20i, I would also add the Output Presets).

OT: I know the Theta folks think the CB has the ability to provide superior sound over the Datasat when using the more expensive Theta DAC's. I would love to see how well they do in a blind companion when all 11 (or more) channels are playing. I have the XLR switching mechanism that will support 7.1 channel comparison if someone wants to do the comparison. (Used in the RS20i blind test noted above). You do everything you can to optimize the CB except running Dirac and I will do the same to the RS20i.
post #849 of 1406 Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Chuck,

Thank you for your comments. I concur with you that the differences "pre" Dirac were not significant and several of them I only noticed after weeks of listening. I can't honestly say I would notice as much when using a blind, level matched, no room correction comparison. However, It seems the Datasat sound grew on me and sounded even better over time.

After Dirac it was simply no contest. The differences were huge and significant. Dirac took my system to a whole new level of performance and enjoyment. The feeling I have from this improvement is what we are all striving for when we invest serious money into an upgrade. I will say that my upgrade paid off with this purchase.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.

Last edited by jdlynch; 08-24-2016 at 03:25 PM.
post #850 of 1406 Old 08-25-2016, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
JD

I'm considering an upgrade for my SSP, currently using an MC12HDEQ so I'm curious regards your thoughts re the LS10 versus the MC12.

I've already upgraded to a JVC RS600 projector and I'm waiting for the anticipated OPPO HDR player before changing source.

Audio performance is my primary interest, I use Linkwitz LX521 mains with SEAS Odins for surrounds and rears and I have four 15 inch driver horn subs in a 22x24x9 foot room and use a Seymour 144inch wide 2.40 AT curved screen.

The LS10 is currently top of the list of SSP's I'm considering, along with the usual competitor alternatives.

(A cheaper option, and lower WAF resistance for me is to simply add a Dirac unit post the Lexicon and use a small secondary display to retain the convenience of the onscreen display from the Lexicon, to get around the issues of not being able to pass the new HDMI standards through the Lexicon, a nominal $20,000 Cdn. decision)

Your thoughts on the LS10 versus the MC12 inherent audio performance is of interest to me, I'm very happy with the performance of the MC12 and love Logic 7, my primary use is music from Blu-ray and movies are secondary.
post #851 of 1406 Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ Oldmike2

There was a three year time span between when I sold my MC12BEQ and purchased my LS10. So I really can't offer a fair comparison. However, I will offer my thoughts.

My MC12BEQ was the non-HD version. I used analog outs from my Oppo BDP103 into the MC12 so that I could take advantage of DolbyTruHD and DTSHDMA. That being said, I preferred the sound of vanilla DTS and Dolby Digital using a toslink digital optical cable. That was mainly due to the superior DAC's in the Lexicon.

What I also loved about the Lexicon was the room EQ. I enjoyed how it corrected the lower frequencies without affecting the upper frequency range.

In summary I loved the MC12. The reason I sold it was I was starting to have issues requiring repair and I decided it may be best to sell while it still had value. Also, I wanted to move up into the digital world with HDMI switching.

Due to all the hype at the time I purchased a Marantz 8801 with Audyssey XT32. As good as the Marantz was, I always felt it was lacking in sound quality compared to the MC12. What the Marantz did offer was a decent DRC with Audyssey XT32 and the added convenience of HDMI switching. I also liked the ease of setup compared to the MC12; though that was not important due to once its setup I don't necessarily change things often.

The Marantz also never sounded as good to me with music as the MC12. For the three years I owned the Marantz I missed the Lexicon sound and was continually researching for a new SSP that would bring back the smile on my face the Lexicon provided.

Fast forward to now- I took a leap of faith based on comments here on the forum, the fact that Dirac was an option, and the reviews claiming that sonically the LS10 sounds nearly identical to the RS20i, I purchased an LS10. I didn't need the additional channels or the additional capabilities offered by the RS20i.

I will skip giving my impression as I did that a few posts below. However, to answer your question, the LS10 with Dirac outperforms the Lexicon. I feel satisfied (for now) and have the same sense of contentment I had when I owned the Lexicon. My love for music listening has returned with the LS10. I still get goosebumps when I listen to Tidal postprocessed with DTS NeoX multi-channel. This sounds better to me than Lexicon musiclogic7 did.

You're in a tougher position to decide than I was since you have the HD version of the MC12. I once considered buying another MC12 and adding a minidsp ddrc88a, but ultimately decided against it due to the addition of another D/A conversion and all of the cables required to add another box. I also decided I wanted to buy new and have the ability to be Atmos ready when I get the time to re-build my theater.

Something else I've come to appreciate, that the Lexicon cannot provide, is the ability to set-up and control my unit with my ipad. I can make changes on the fly during a movie without anybody even knowing.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by jdlynch; 08-25-2016 at 06:37 PM.
post #852 of 1406 Old 08-27-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
@ Oldmike2

There was a three year time span between when I sold my MC12BEQ and purchased my LS10. So I really can't offer a fair comparison. However, I will offer my thoughts.

My MC12BEQ was the non-HD version. I used analog outs from my Oppo BDP103 into the MC12 so that I could take advantage of DolbyTruHD and DTSHDMA. That being said, I preferred the sound of vanilla DTS and Dolby Digital using a toslink digital optical cable. That was mainly due to the superior DAC's in the Lexicon.

What I also loved about the Lexicon was the room EQ. I enjoyed how it corrected the lower frequencies without affecting the upper frequency range.

In summary I loved the MC12. The reason I sold it was I was starting to have issues requiring repair and I decided it may be best to sell while it still had value. Also, I wanted to move up into the digital world with HDMI switching.

Due to all the hype at the time I purchased a Marantz 8801 with Audyssey XT32. As good as the Marantz was, I always felt it was lacking in sound quality compared to the MC12. What the Marantz did offer was a decent DRC with Audyssey XT32 and the added convenience of HDMI switching. I also liked the ease of setup compared to the MC12; though that was not important due to once its setup I don't necessarily change things often.

The Marantz also never sounded as good to me with music as the MC12. For the three years I owned the Marantz I missed the Lexicon sound and was continually researching for a new SSP that would bring back the smile on my face the Lexicon provided.

Fast forward to now- I took a leap of faith based on comments here on the forum, the fact that Dirac was an option, and the reviews claiming that sonically the LS10 sounds nearly identical to the RS20i, I purchased an LS10. I didn't need the additional channels or the additional capabilities offered by the RS20i.

I will skip giving my impression as I did that a few posts below. However, to answer your question, the LS10 with Dirac outperforms the Lexicon. I feel satisfied (for now) and have the same sense of contentment I had when I owned the Lexicon. My love for music listening has returned with the LS10. I still get goosebumps when I listen to Tidal postprocessed with DTS NeoX multi-channel. This sounds better to me than Lexicon musiclogic7 did.

You're in a tougher position to decide than I was since you have the HD version of the MC12. I once considered buying another MC12 and adding a minidsp ddrc88a, but ultimately decided against it due to the addition of another D/A conversion and all of the cables required to add another box. I also decided I wanted to buy new and have the ability to be Atmos ready when I get the time to re-build my theater.

Something else I've come to appreciate, that the Lexicon cannot provide, is the ability to set-up and control my unit with my ipad. I can make changes on the fly during a movie without anybody even knowing.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks JD,

Thank you for your response. I like your objectivity.

I think I've talked myself into trying the Minidsp Dirac unit with bass management and see if I like it over the MC12 EQ which as you say does a great job. Not a huge cash requirement.

Having dipole bass in my mains means they excite room modes less than a conventional box speaker. I'm even considering building some dipole subs, it will take a large number of drivers, so far calculated somewhere between 24-32 15 inch units, to accommodate the +6dB/octave lift without bottoming the drivers.

I am also concerned regards the additional ADC DAC step as you pointed out, I will attempt some measurements around this, I'm fortunate to have a friend with very high end, measurement equipment. If not happy with the measured results and the sound I will be joining you in the LS10 brigade, I also do not need the extreme horsepower of the RS20i.

Thanks again for your response and here's to many hours of enjoyment.

Regards Mike

Last edited by OldMike2; 08-27-2016 at 06:14 PM.
post #853 of 1406 Old 08-27-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtuck View Post
In the process of "breaking in" my Datasat, I have had 2 weird issues thus far, otherwise I LOVE it. Looking forward to getting the DIRAC done soon.

Anyone have any issues with the LS10 rebooting randomly? Mine has done it twice now, just randomly while watching TV.

Anyone have any issues with the sound cutting out? I have only noticed this one time, while watching a BluRay of 13 hours (my current player sucks, I'm trying to hold off for the new Oppo, so it could be the player?), but the sound kept cutting out throughout the movie. Interestingly, it mostly happened during dialog times, not the action sequences.

Tonight, while watching "the nice guys", I experienced the random re-boot you mentioned. It happened twice during the movie. This is the first time my unit has had any issue in my nearly two months of use.

Is your unit still doing this? Did you by any chance ask Datasat engineers what might be causing the unit to reboot?

post #854 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tonight, while watching "the nice guys", I experienced the random re-boot you mentioned.
Maybe you hit the "control, alt, delete" button by accident

Since at least two people have had this issue, I would consider contacting Datasat and let them know about it. Given it's randomness, I'm sure finding the problem would be difficult but they should at least be notified.
grtuck likes this.
post #855 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Tonight, while watching "the nice guys", I experienced the random re-boot you mentioned. It happened twice during the movie. This is the first time my unit has had any issue in my nearly two months of use.

Is your unit still doing this? Did you by any chance ask Datasat engineers what might be causing the unit to reboot?
Mine has not had that happen again since my last post. After posting I checked the firmware to see if there was an update, which there was, so I installed it. Interestingly, in subsequent checks for firmware updates, the one I currently have installed is no longer listed. Maybe it doesn't list the currently installed firmware when you check though.

I am not able to check my firmware at the moment, but I think it is like 1.03.01 or something like that. I know it had a "1" at the end.

post #856 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 06:36 AM

I just updated to the latest firmware (v1.01.01). I like that we can now see the incoming video resolution and frame rate on the front panel display. Very cool! The unit also, thus far, seems to lock onto the audio bitstream more quickly. Does anyone know where we can find the release notes for this software update, so we can see what was changed, fixed, etc?
post #857 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just updated to the latest firmware (v1.01.01). I like that we can now see the incoming video resolution and frame rate on the front panel display. Very cool! The unit also, thus far, seems to lock onto the audio bitstream more quickly. Does anyone know where we can find the release notes for this software update, so we can see what was changed, fixed, etc?
What is the date of the latest firmware?

post #858 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
What is the date of the latest firmware?
I'm showing a build date of August 18, 2016.
post #859 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1627529
Quote:
I'm showing a build date of August 18, 2016.
I'm showing version 1.01 with a build date of July 5th, 2016.

I have an email into Datasat to check for the latest update.

post #860 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Attachment 1627529

I'm showing version 1.01 with a build date of July 5th, 2016.

I have an email into Datasat to check for the latest update.
I was able to update mine from the screen shot you just posted. I just used the drop down menu and picked the "main server" and it showed all the most recent releases.
jdlynch likes this.

post #861 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtuck View Post
I was able to update mine from the screen shot you just posted. I just used the drop down menu and picked the "main server" and it showed all the most recent releases.

Update complete. Thank you Grtuck and Matty !
grtuck likes this.

post #862 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Screen Saver Image

Does anyone have any interesting screen saver images they have downloaded into their LS10? I have been using the blue-dim screen.

post #863 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any interesting screen saver images they have downloaded into their LS10? I have been using the blue-dim screen.
I use the same one you do, however I would be interested to see what others have as well.

post #864 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This post is for anyone that has, or may ever, question the level of service provided by Datasat support.

I contacted them last night (Saturday) to report an issue and Mike Smith responded first thing this morning (Sunday). In addition, Mike has guided me through a few diagnostic steps that have required several back-and-forth emails.

This is what I call first class support! Not only were they prompt in responding, but I would say they have gone over and above by offering support over the weekend!

Kudos to Datasat!
grtuck likes this.

post #865 of 1406 Old 08-28-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This post is for anyone that has, or may ever, question the level of service provided by Datasat support.

I contacted them last night (Saturday) to report an issue and Mike Smith responded first thing this morning (Sunday). In addition, Mike has guided me through a few diagnostic steps that have required several back-and-forth emails.

This is what I call first class support! Not only were they prompt in responding, but I would say they have gone over and above by offering support over the weekend!

Kudos to Datasat!
I could not agree more. I had an issue with a client install on Friday and got a call on Saturday from the other Mike (Skrzat). I knew the issue had nothing to do with Datasat but I also knew this Mike had worked with these particular speakers, Wisdom L150i, and thought he might be able to assist.
Mr. Integration likes this.
post #866 of 1406 Old 09-21-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Quote:

Kudos to Datasat!
I could not agree more. I had an issue with a client install on Friday and got a call on Saturday from the other Mike (Skrzat). I knew the issue had nothing to do with Datasat but I also knew this Mike had worked with these particular speakers, Wisdom L150i, and thought he might be able to assist.
Same here. Datasat paid shipping charges express from Germany to the US return for exchanging a faulty HDMI board for free. Only paud for Dirac and Atmos board.
grtuck likes this.
post #867 of 1406 Old 09-25-2016, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMike2 View Post
Thanks JD,

Thank you for your response. I like your objectivity.

I think I've talked myself into trying the Minidsp Dirac unit with bass management and see if I like it over the MC12 EQ which as you say does a great job. Not a huge cash requirement.

Having dipole bass in my mains means they excite room modes less than a conventional box speaker. I'm even considering building some dipole subs, it will take a large number of drivers, so far calculated somewhere between 24-32 15 inch units, to accommodate the +6dB/octave lift without bottoming the drivers.

I am also concerned regards the additional ADC DAC step as you pointed out, I will attempt some measurements around this, I'm fortunate to have a friend with very high end, measurement equipment. If not happy with the measured results and the sound I will be joining you in the LS10 brigade, I also do not need the extreme horsepower of the RS20i.

Thanks again for your response and here's to many hours of enjoyment.

Regards Mike
Hi Mike,
maybe I can add some of my experience having had two MiniDSP88a connected to my LS10 for about a year and now having DIRAC built inside my LS10. (BTW I had the Lexicon MC1 and then the MC8 before).
Giving my first impresssions of usage now for about two months (still finetuning) both have pros and cons:

The two advantages of the MiniDSP are that it gives you a flexibility that the LS10 from its nature does not have. Especially with bass management within the MiniDSP you can copy channels and also DIRAC speakers and not just input channels. Secondly with the MiniDSP you get the DIRAC Live software for free with gives you a certain freedom to tweak.
With built inside DIRAC you have the big advantage (especially when comming from two MiniDSPs) that you can fluck through different DIRAC modes and (when you got the sofrware) you can tweak your target curve and can send it wireless to thr LS10. Further I found the MiniDSP software a bit unstable at times when channels were suddenly missing or wrongly handed over. AlsoI sometimes had unexplainable volume differences by both MiniDSPs resulting in a very inhomogenuous sound.
Now sonically I think the built in DIRAC is more precise and also gives a very homogenous sound throughout all channels. They really melt together. One interesting observation is that one I had the MiniDSP the auto target curve was just perfect. With built inside DIRAC I am still tweaking and will ask Nyal to create some target curves for me once my speaker layout is fixed.
All in all I think the inside DIRAC is the better solution. If that is one less ADA, 96kHz or just that the systems were opmzimuzed for each other I dont know.
Finally one word of Lexicon / Datasat comparison. I never owned the MC12 but the MC8 and compared to the LS10 w/o DIRAC I think sonically the Datasat is better especially in its precision of the movie sound reproduction. I never listened very much to music especially two channel so no staement of conoarison on that!
post #868 of 1406 Old 09-25-2016, 08:49 AM

Thank you,

That's great input for me, thank you.

I'm very happy with my current sound, primary reason for having the space, so I'm going to hold off for six months on changing my SSP and "watch this space" given the changes that are occurring with respect to UHD, 3D sound formats and HDMI standards.

I don't mind being on the leading edge but the sense I get from broad reading around theses changes is that bleeding edge might be a more appropriate term right now.

I will buy a Mini Dirac unit as an interim measure to see if DIRAC makes a difference in my space, low cost. (I agree on the glitchy nature of the software/firmware, I have experienced issues with the two 4x10HD units I use for my LCR speaker crossover/equalization when updating plugins and firmware).

One other question do Datasat apply the same strictures regards using DIRAC in the LS10 as they do in the RS20 big brother model, where one has to use the services of an installer to run the software or are they willing to sell the software/microphone to the end consumer? I get the impression from what you wrote that you do have access?

Thanks again for the input, directly relevant and very helpful.
post #869 of 1406 Old 09-25-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMike2 View Post
Thank you,

That's great input for me, thank you.

I'm very happy with my current sound, primary reason for having the space, so I'm going to hold off for six months on changing my SSP and "watch this space" given the changes that are occurring with respect to UHD, 3D sound formats and HDMI standards.

I don't mind being on the leading edge but the sense I get from broad reading around theses changes is that bleeding edge might be a more appropriate term right now.

I will buy a Mini Dirac unit as an interim measure to see if DIRAC makes a difference in my space, low cost. (I agree on the glitchy nature of the software/firmware, I have experienced issues with the two 4x10HD units I use for my LCR speaker crossover/equalization when updating plugins and firmware).

One other question do Datasat apply the same strictures regards using DIRAC in the LS10 as they do in the RS20 big brother model, where one has to use the services of an installer to run the software or are they willing to sell the software/microphone to the end consumer? I get the impression from what you wrote that you do have access?

Thanks again for the input, directly relevant and very helpful.
They dont sell to end users so only chance is a dealer selling you his or any other auction sites. You actually only need the software as it is workin flawlessy with the UMIK1!
post #870 of 1406 Old 10-04-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
How do you plan on going from AES/EBU (digital out for multichannel on the DataSat) to S/PDIF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Integration View Post
I will let you know how it goes as I sold my LS10 so RS20i is on its way
Any progress to report on using the RS20i's digital outs for the Dynaudios?

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page