Forum Jump: 
 386Likes

post #1441 of 1450 Old 12-15-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 166
If anyone is interested I am letting go of my LS10 ( it is without the Atmos card )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1450 Old 12-17-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 148
When playing Atmos content, should my LS10 display “Atmos” on the front display? Mine said Dolby TrueHD 7.1 when I played the Meg. I selected Atmos on the Blu-ray setup menu.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #1443 of 1450 Old 12-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yeah it should say both! Mine shows 7.1 true hd and the line below it says atmos. I have the Meg blu ray also, so I’ll check when I get home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1450 Old 12-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
When playing Atmos content, should my LS10 display “Atmos” on the front display? Mine said Dolby TrueHD 7.1 when I played the Meg. I selected Atmos on the Blu-ray setup menu.
I have been in conversation today with Datasat about this specific issue. It is a software display issue.
If you go to mode and turn off Dolby Surround it will display both Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Atmos. Turn Dolby Surround back on or you won’t get the upmixer working on non-Atmos material. Leave Dolby Surround on or better yet auto 1 or auto 2. It won’t display Atmos, but it will be decoding Atmos. I was told the engineers are working on a fix for this.
llang269 and grtuck like this.
post #1445 of 1450 Old 12-17-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbblb1 View Post
I have been in conversation today with Datasat about this specific issue. It is a software display issue.
If you go to mode and turn off Dolby Surround it will display both Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Atmos. Turn Dolby Surround back on or you won’t get the upmixer working on non-Atmos material. Leave Dolby Surround on or better yet auto 1 or auto 2. It won’t display Atmos, but it will be decoding Atmos. I was told the engineers are working on a fix for this.
Thank you for the clarification. I determined earlier today that when I turned off the Dolby upmixer, then, Atmos was displayed on the front panel. However, I wasn’t sure if I left it on if I was hearing decoded Atmos material or a matrixed format.

I’m glad you were able to find this out.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #1446 of 1450 Old 12-21-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After two years in our new home, I’m finally at a point in my system where I think I’ll be content for a while. I’ve got my RSL C34e’s Atmos speakers installed and my bed layer speakers are in their optimum positions for my room. I’m at 7.1.4 and I have no desire to add more speakers at this time.

So now, it’s time for me to do a Dirac calibration. This will be my first time: since the last time I had Nyal Mellor do it remotely. Before I start the process, I was hoping to get some feedback on any pointers or “lessons learned” from those who have done this to help me be successful. At the moment I’m trying to decide if I want to correct the entire frequency range or just the frequencies below the Schroeder limit (hope I said that right). I’ll gladly accept any comments on that as well to help with my decision. I may go ahead and try it both ways and see which I prefer.

Thanks in advance for sharing. I hope to do my calibration on Monday.

post #1447 of 1450 Old 12-22-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 4150
Quote:
After two years in our new home, I’m finally at a point in my system where I think I’ll be content for a while. I’ve got my RSL C34e’s Atmos speakers installed and my bed layer speakers are in their optimum positions for my room. I’m at 7.1.4 and I have no desire to add more speakers at this time.

So now, it’s time for me to do a Dirac calibration. This will be my first time: since the last time I had Nyal Mellor do it remotely. Before I start the process, I was hoping to get some feedback on any pointers or “lessons learned” from those who have done this to help me be successful. At the moment I’m trying to decide if I want to correct the entire frequency range or just the frequencies below the Schroeder limit (hope I said that right). I’ll gladly accept any comments on that as well to help with my decision. I may go ahead and try it both ways and see which I prefer.

Thanks in advance for sharing. I hope to do my calibration on Monday.

I only restrict my work below the Schroeder for PEQs. I would recommend you correct it all with Dirac. As you design your target curves, just make sure you don't push too much on the very high end. In both Dirac and Optimizer, I have my target curve pretty much follow what I measure with REW or OmniMic above 10K (I assume you will be using one of those tools).

I would just follow the mic placements that are recommended within Dirac initially. You will need to experiment on how far apart all of the measurements are and how "selfish" you want to be. As you will discover, for a while, you will be doing LOTS of measurements.

As for target curves, I would recommend some version of the JBL curve initially. Then you can modify as you listen. I can send you what it looks like on my Trinnov so you would just need to create one for your LS10. Let me know.
post #1448 of 1450 Old 12-23-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I only restrict my work below the Schroeder for PEQs. I would recommend you correct it all with Dirac. As you design your target curves, just make sure you don't push too much on the very high end. In both Dirac and Optimizer, I have my target curve pretty much follow what I measure with REW or OmniMic above 10K (I assume you will be using one of those tools).

I would just follow the mic placements that are recommended within Dirac initially. You will need to experiment on how far apart all of the measurements are and how "selfish" you want to be. As you will discover, for a while, you will be doing LOTS of measurements.

As for target curves, I would recommend some version of the JBL curve initially. Then you can modify as you listen. I can send you what it looks like on my Trinnov so you would just need to create one for your LS10. Let me know.
Thank you Chuck. As usual, you are full of good information and kind enough to share your knowledge. I wasn’t even aware that I should be using REW or similar to take measurements prior to running Dirac. Is something that I need to do?

post #1449 of 1450 Old 12-23-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 4150
Quote:
Thank you Chuck. As usual, you are full of good information and kind enough to share your knowledge. I wasn’t even aware that I should be using REW or similar to take measurements prior to running Dirac. Is something that I need to do?
Not necessarily on the LS10 since I don't think it as the ability (unlike the RS20i) to set pre-Dirac PEQs. But post Dirac, I ALWAYS use (in my case, OmniMic) such a tool, to check channel delays (Dirac gets close but by checking you can tighten them up) and levels (also can typically be improved). But without external measurements, you will not be able to do that. Lastly, virtually every room correction system I have used does not get the sub channel delays correct which can be seen by looking at the crossover splice between the center channel and subs. By running frequency sweeps and adjusting the LFE delays, you can almost always improve things.
jdlynch likes this.
post #1450 of 1450 Old 12-29-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 414
The ‚new‘ Datasat project management regarding timelines somehow reminds me a lot of the ‚old‘ project management. The LS50 is now nearly 3 months overdue without any official word from Datasat (at least I haven’t heard of anything).
llang269 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page