post #1531 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Does the "base LS10" include Atmos, DTS:X and Auro? You do not have it ship to add Dirac. The $4500 price (I think it was actually $3500) included a very expensive mic, and mic preamp, dongle (which is no longer used), carrying case, wifi "enabler", and some other cables, a USB stick and some other stuff. And the software key is good for two computers.
What is the price to turn Dirac on?

The $4500 is for what? Dirac or the calibration software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 5706 Post(s)
Liked: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
What is the price to turn Dirac on?

The $4500 is for what? Dirac or the calibration software?
Dirac IS the calibration software and I just explained what the $3500 was for. It includes the software AND the hardware I described.

Since I am clearly not doing a good job answering your questions (nor you answering mine), then I highly recommend you call ATI.
post #1533 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Dirac IS the calibration software and I just explained what the $3500 was for. It includes the software AND the hardware I described.

Since I am clearly not doing a good job answering your questions (nor you answering mine), then I highly recommend you call ATI.
Sorry.. You are answering just fine! I am just not understanding it properly or not asking properly. Please bear with me, if I might rephrase.

1. I have the base ls 10. No auro. No hdcp 4k. IF I want the room correction capabilities option/feature in my unit, would that be a software key release or do I need to send in the unit for hardware upgrade to add this feature. What is this option/feature called?

2. Once the unit is ready for room correction calibration - someone needs to come in with software to calibrate it . This software was not sold to the public in the past. Is it being sold now and if so, what is the cost?

Last edited by audvid; 04-20-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
I would not buy (new) Datasat anymore either and I agree about their support. But I was NOT suggesting a new LS10 as used they can be had for really stupid low money (a friend bought one). And for that amount of money, and for a 7.x.4 system, neither the Trinnov (I own one) nor anything else can touch it - all assuming that the individual who does the calibration knows what they are doing. Buying new, there are other options

Trinnov Alt16 is out of my price range. If they truly refresh the LS10 (?by end of 2020), would this be a good alternative for 16 channel? If not, what would you suggest?

PS what is the going price for a used LS10? Cannot find one.
post #1535 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Sorry.. You are answering just fine! I am just not understanding it properly or not asking properly. Please bear with me, if I might rephrase.

1. I have the base ls 10. No auro. No hdcp. IF I want the room correction capabilities option/feature in my unit, would that be a software key release or do I need to send in the unit for hardware upgrade to add this feature. What is this option/feature called?

2. Once the unit is ready for room correction calibration - someone needs to come in with software to calibrate it . This software was not sold to the public in the past. Is it being sold now and if so, what is the cost?
When I bought my RS20 there was a small charge iirc for "Dirac capability" but that didn't include the software. If you email Sanjay at ATI with the Serial number of the unit you are looking at he will tell you if it is Dirac-ready. I've been emailing him about trying to get a Dirac key...

If you have some basic skills and some patience you can figure Dirac out for at least a "decent" calibration by yourself...

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #1536 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
When I bought my RS20 there was a small charge iirc for "Dirac capability" but that didn't include the software. If you email Sanjay at ATI with the Serial number of the unit you are looking at he will tell you if it is Dirac-ready. I've been emailing him about trying to get a Dirac key...

If you have some basic skills and some patience you can figure Dirac out for at least a "decent" calibration by yourself...

Care to define "basic skills"?
post #1537 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Options listed on datasat site for ls10
LS10 Auro 3-D Option
LS10 Dirac Live Option - this was my question - is this a hardware option or a softway key option and its price. I am trying to locate a dealer in the milwaukee/chicago area. I have emailed datasat
LS10 Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Option
LS10 HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2
Dirac Calibration Kit - is this the $4500 kit, which includes the mic and license for calibration software?

Can someone point me to the datasat dealer in WI or IL?
I could not find it on their website.
post #1538 of 1560 Old 04-20-2020, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Care to define "basic skills"?
nope, lol.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #1539 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Options listed on datasat site for ls10
LS10 Auro 3-D Option
LS10 Dirac Live Option - this was my question - is this a hardware option or a softway key option and its price. I am trying to locate a dealer in the milwaukee/chicago area. I have emailed datasat
LS10 Dolby Atmos / DTS:X Option
LS10 HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2
Dirac Calibration Kit - is this the $4500 kit, which includes the mic and license for calibration software?

Can someone point me to the datasat dealer in WI or IL?
I could not find it on their website.
There are two aspects to the DIRAC Live. First, your LS10 has to have the capability installed. If it does not, you have to send your unit in for that part of the upgrade. You can call ATI with your serial number and they can tell you if you have the capability. They can also tell you who your local dealer is.

If/once you have the actual capability installed on the LS10, you then need the calibration software that goes on a laptop. This is the part that works with the calibration microphone. Your local dealer can do the calibration for you at whatever they charge to come to your house, etc. Or, you can purchase the calibration kit via your local dealer (it's about $3500) or you can purchase a software license key via your local dealer for about $1000 that allows you to install/use the calibration software on your laptop. The former (the $3500 kit) comes with the calibration microphone, pre-amps, case, and software license. The latter does not come with any microphones. It's software only, but you can pick up a perfectly nice calibrated USB microphone for about $100.

ATI will not sell you anything directly. You have to purchase everything through a dealer.
llang269 likes this.
post #1540 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969jets View Post
There are two aspects to the DIRAC Live... The latter does not come with any microphones. It's software only, but you can pick up a perfectly nice calibrated USB microphone for about $100.

ATI will not sell you anything directly. You have to purchase everything through a dealer.
Excellent answer.. Thanks you. A few more questions.
I am considering buying a used package. It includes the software and the mic package.

1. The seller said that the software can by used unrestricted on any number of computers, as long as only two people are logged in.
How ever..

2. I read at a few places that the software is restricted only to two computers and that you need to call datasat to have the key reset. Is this true?

Which is correct? 1 or 2?

3. The microphone kit he is selling is listed I think at $1500. Is it worthwhile to buy such an expensive Mic kit? You mentioned $100 mic kit - is that "good enough"? Can you give me the model number? Someone mentioned a calibration file for the mike. I am not sure how that would work/or is used.

Thank you.
post #1541 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Excellent answer.. Thanks you. A few more questions.
I am considering buying a used package. It includes the software and the mic package.

1. The seller said that the software can by used unrestricted on any number of computers, as long as only two people are logged in.
How ever..

2. I read at a few places that the software is restricted only to two computers and that you need to call datasat to have the key reset. Is this true?

Which is correct? 1 or 2?

3. The microphone kit he is selling is listed I think at $1500. Is it worthwhile to buy such an expensive Mic kit? You mentioned $100 mic kit - is that "good enough"? Can you give me the model number? Someone mentioned a calibration file for the mike. I am not sure how that would work/or is used.

Thank you.
When I purchased my software, I was told #2 and that was also stated in the software when I downloaded it.

Regarding the microphone kit, I have a calibrated UMIK 1. I don’t know how much better the calibration would be with the earthworks microphone and the associated equipment in the Datasat microphone kit. My thought is that unless you are a professional calibrator the difference will be minimal.
mik2h likes this.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #1542 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
When I purchased my software, I was told #2 and that was also stated in the software when I downloaded it.

Regarding the microphone kit, I have a calibrated UMIK 1. I don’t know how much better the calibration would be with the earthworks microphone and the associated equipment in the Datasat microphone kit. My thought is that unless you are a professional calibrator the difference will be minimal.
HeyJd I need to pick your brain. About Dirac, I can’t get the Ls10 to play back test tones. It will play the white noise from VNC when I try that but not Dirac. I’m going to try and contact Dirac and see what they say

post #1543 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Can you please PM me the details about the Mic I should buy and where to buy it from? When you say it is a calibrated mic, does it come with calibration file or do I just use the mic as is?
post #1544 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 110
It’s just a umik-1 by minidsp. Go to minidsp site and order it

post #1545 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you please PM me the details about the Mic I should buy and where to buy it from? When you say it is a calibrated mic, does it come with calibration file or do I just use the mic as is?
I purchased mine from Cross Spectrum Labs. They did the calibration and provided the calibration file. Didn’t cost much more than a $100 or so.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #1546 of 1560 Old 04-21-2020, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
It’s just a umik-1 by minidsp. Go to minidsp site and order it
This is what I used. Works perfectly with the LS10 DIRAC software.
post #1547 of 1560 Old 04-22-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
HeyJd I need to pick your brain. About Dirac, I can’t get the Ls10 to play back test tones. It will play the white noise from VNC when I try that but not Dirac. I’m going to try and contact Dirac and see what they say

Sorry, but I can't provide a lot of value when it comes to how the software works. Even though I have the software, I hired Nyal Mellor to do a remote calibration. However, I do need to research/study/practice so that I can do it myself as I made changes which requires a new calibration.

Last edited by jdlynch; 04-22-2020 at 08:05 AM.
post #1548 of 1560 Old 04-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Sorry, but I can't provide a lot of value when it comes to how the software works. Even though I have the software, I hired Nyal Mellor to do a remote calibration. However, I do need to research/study/practice so that I can do it myself as I made changes which requires a new calibration.
How does a remote calibration work - ie what do you have to do?
post #1549 of 1560 Old 04-22-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
How does a remote calibration work - ie what do you have to do?
Nyal shipped me a laptop with his software along with the microphone kit.

All I had to do (besides being present) was plug everything in and move the microphone around. At some point in the final stages he made a few fine tuning adjustments based on my listening preferences. It was fairly simple.
stephenbr likes this.

post #1550 of 1560 Old 04-23-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

1. I have the base ls 10. No auro. No hdcp 4k. IF I want the room correction capabilities option/feature in my unit, would that be a software key release or do I need to send in the unit for hardware upgrade to add this feature. What is this option/feature called?

Audvid- So you sold your LS10 and bought a used RS20i ?

post #1551 of 1560 Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I am buying a used RS 20i, with dirac, auro 3d. I have not sold my ls10. I am going to need a lot of time, trying to figure out the RS 20i. After that, I might consider selling it.
post #1552 of 1560 Old 04-23-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I am buying a used RS 20i, with dirac, auro 3d. I have not sold my ls10. I am going to need a lot of time, trying to figure out the RS 20i. After that, I might consider selling it.
Unless you intend to do a lot of tweaking or exceed the channel count offered by your LS10, I don’t see the benefit in moving up to the rs20i. You can have upgrades made to your LS10.
audvid and llang269 like this.

post #1553 of 1560 Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Unless you intend to do a lot of tweaking or exceed the channel count offered by your LS10, I don’t see the benefit in moving up to the rs20i. You can have upgrades made to your LS10.
I upgrading for several reasons. First, the guy who is selling upgraded from ls10 to rs20i and said that there is substantial improvement (he's not trying to unload it on me. He is a good guy.). He seems to know a lot more about audio, than myself. I think he is moving to Trinnov. Frankly, I am buying it because he seems such a nice guy. He has been a member here for 20 years.

Second - I use Ashley external cross overs for lcr and rl, rr with my ls10. The rs 20 will eliminate the need for external crossovers. I don't know how much improvement there would be but I am hoping it would be very clearly noticeable.

Third: I have never experienced Dirac. I will probably have to send the LS10 in for Dirac upgrade. I thought I might as well just buy the RS 20i. I haven't decided whether or not I would sell the ls10. I might just keep it.

A big pain for me is that RS20 does not accept IR while the LS10 does! This is kind of a very dumb choice.. because there are still some of us, who prefer tactile remotes Vs screen-touch remotes. Fortunately, the seller is setting up a rs 232 to IR converter for me. I dislike having to deal with RS232..
post #1554 of 1560 Old 04-23-2020, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I upgrading for several reasons. First, the guy who is selling upgraded from ls10 to rs20i and said that there is substantial improvement (he's not trying to unload it on me. He is a good guy.). He seems to know a lot more about audio, than myself. I think he is moving to Trinnov. Frankly, I am buying it because he seems such a nice guy. He has been a member here for 20 years.

Second - I use Ashley external cross overs for lcr and rl, rr with my ls10. The rs 20 will eliminate the need for external crossovers. I don't know how much improvement there would be but I am hoping it would be very clearly noticeable.

Third: I have never experienced Dirac. I will probably have to send the LS10 in for Dirac upgrade. I thought I might as well just buy the RS 20i. I haven't decided whether or not I would sell the ls10. I might just keep it.

A big pain for me is that RS20 does not accept IR while the LS10 does! This is kind of a very dumb choice.. because there are still some of us, who prefer tactile remotes Vs screen-touch remotes. Fortunately, the seller is setting up a rs 232 to IR converter for me. I dislike having to deal with RS232..
The ability to use the internal crossover is definitely a plus. Depending on what you are paying for the used rs20i, it may or may not be more economical to purchase it instead of upgrading your LS10 to Dirac.

However, don’t expect to hear any noticeable difference in sound quality between the two. Your seller may be a “good guy”, but he is mistaken by saying there is a substantial improvement in SQ.

Best of luck in your decisions!
llang269 likes this.

post #1555 of 1560 Old 04-27-2020, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Can you please PM me contact information of Nyal Mellor ?

Datasat LS10 Processor w/Dirac Live & Auro 3D,
Sonus Faber (SF) Serafino Tradition, SF Vox Tradition, SF Venere Wall, KEF CI200RR-THX,
ATI Signature 6007 and 6004 amps, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, JL Audio f112v2,
Sony VPL-VW385ES projector, Stewart 123" FireHawk G4 Screen
post #1556 of 1560 Old 04-30-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurap1 View Post
You don’t have enough post to PM

Shoot me an email.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #1557 of 1560 Old 04-30-2020, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3399 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurap1 View Post
Can also be reached at his website.
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #1558 of 1560 Old 05-01-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
However, don’t expect to hear any noticeable difference in sound quality between the two. Your seller may be a “good guy”, but he is mistaken by saying there is a substantial improvement in SQ.

Best of luck in your decisions!

Not even close. If both were set up by someone who knew what they were doing, and then listen blind, don't bet on hearing ANY difference.
llang269 likes this.
post #1559 of 1560 Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
You don’t have enough post to PM

Shoot me an email.
Email sent. Thanks.

Sonus Faber (SF) Serafino Tradition, SF Vox Tradition, SF Venere Wall, KEF CI200RR-THX,
post #1560 of 1560 Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Can also be reached at his website.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page