post #5521 of 9105 Old 11-22-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4986 Post(s)
Liked: 3828
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandragora View Post
Thanks for the information ... this hobby is like a bottomless rabbit hole ...

And one that can eat through bank accounts at an astonishing rate!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 9105 Old 11-22-2018, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
The only thing I now use my miniDSP for is setting delays's on my rear subs. All of the PEQs are now in the Altitude.
That's my current thinking too. Jon showed me how to combine the 2 subs into a single speaker with phantom drivers. Once shown, it's not hard. I may still get an ext DSP to add more subs at later date but since both current ones are equidistant, no time alignment needed. KISS at work. Have to do PEQ internally in December

Steve
post #5523 of 9105 Old 11-22-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Guys,
Thanks to the idiocy of Comcast and living in a hi-rise with in-wall wiring between floors, I now have a connection problem in my HT. For three years, we've never had issues until last week. But now, four technicians later...short version is that I can't have a direct wired cable or Ethernet connection to the HT room until a construction crew comes out and finds how to reroute wiring to our unit. Apparently the junction box isn't obvious to anyone at Comcast or our condo association, and it's apparently inside walls connecting a local cable utility room to several floors that's not directly accessible. So if there's a bad wire...the direct cabling to my room is DOA for the indefinite future.

Among other things, that also means no cable TV either in that room, at least as a direct connection , and likewise all my Ethernet connected devices to the HT room's router are no longer on online. Of course, that breaks my network unless I purely want an Intranet

Since we bought a combined unit, technically our condo is two single-level condo units converted into one (we took the second living room/family room and made it into my HT). Thus half our unit seems to still be working. I set up a 5 Ghz router by my computer desk in the working half of the condo, which does a nice job networking everything in my HT (Roku, Oppo, HTPC, iDevices, etc.) except....the Altitude. When I try to connect with the WiFi connection, the Altitude doesn't find my 5 Ghz network, only the 2.4 Ghz one from the same router.

With the Comcast Extreme speed service, with 5 Ghz I easily get 50-100 Gbps+ download speeds in the HT room over the streaming, enough to support pretty much all my needs except networking the Altitude with my other devices. So that's a reasonable workaround solution if I don't mind the crappy Comcast video on their Xfinity Stream app on the Roku. But the Altitude is the loose link, literally...and a straight 2.4 Ghz WiFi connection in the HT room is at 3G-4G speeds at best.

Does anyone know if the Altitude is limited to a 2.4 Ghz connection? If so, will the technology support a repeater of a 5 Ghz signal to a second router which would then connect at 2.4 Ghz to the Altitude, or a bridge Wifi to Ethernet adaptor like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unive.../dp/B005N6XBDO

Any other ideas?

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 11-22-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5524 of 9105 Old 11-22-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Trinnov Altitude

My Altitude runs at 5G hz and 100 foot ethernet cable should work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5525 of 9105 Old 11-22-2018, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Guys,
Thanks to the idiocy of Comcast and living in a hi-rise with in-wall wiring between floors, I now have a connection problem in my HT. For three years, we've never had issues until last week. But now, four technicians later...short version is that I can't have a direct Ethernet connection to the HT room until a construction crew comes out and finds how to reroute wiring to our unit. Apparently the junction box isn't obvious to anyone at Comcast or our condo association, and it's apparently inside walls connecting a local cable utility room to several floors that's not directly accessible. So if there's a bad wire...the direct cabling to my room is DOA for the indefinite future.

Among other things, that also means no cable TV either in that room, at least as a direct connection , and likewise all my Ethernet connected devices to the HT room's router are no longer on online. Of course, that breaks my network unless I purely want an Intranet

Since we bought a combined unit, technically our condo is two single-level condo units converted into one (we took the second living room/family room and made it into my HT). Thus half our unit seems to still be working. I set up a 5 Ghz router by my computer desk in the working half of the condo, which does a nice job networking everything in my HT (Roku, Oppo, HTPC, iDevices, etc.) except....the Altitude. When I try to connect with the WiFi connection, the Altitude doesn't find my 5 Ghz network, only the 2.4 Ghz one from the same router.

With the Comcast Extreme speed service, with 5 Ghz I easily get 50-100 Gbps+ download speeds in the HT room over the streaming, enough to support pretty much all my needs except networking the Altitude with my other devices. So that's a reasonable workaround solution if I don't mind the crappy Comcast video on their Xfinity Stream app on the Roku. But the Altitude is the loose link, literally...and a straight 2.4 Ghz WiFi connection in the HT room is at 3G-4G speeds at best.

Does anyone know if the Altitude is limited to a 2.4 Ghz connection? If so, will the technology support a repeater of a 5 Ghz signal to a second router which would then connect at 2.4 Ghz to the Altitude, or a bridge Wifi to Ethernet adaptor like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unive.../dp/B005N6XBDO

Any other ideas?
You could use a pair of those wireless mesh devices. Some of them have at least one Lan port that you can connect to or/and provide a stronger 5Ghz signal for the altitude to lock onto.

Just make sure you get one of the mesh kits that use a separate wireless channel for the backbone vs the client connections.

Me personally. I'd just run a long cable between the closest data ports on the two levels and then have a switch (i.e. like a floor switch in a commercial building) at the end which has the network issues. Just get a cable with a colour that blends in well with the walls / floor.
post #5526 of 9105 Old 11-22-2018, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
My Altitude runs at 5G hz and 100 foot ethernet cable should work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 Ghz connection on WiFi to the Altitude, or a 5 Ghz router with the Altitude hard wired on the Ethernet cable?

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
post #5527 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3022 Post(s)
Liked: 2228
Quote:

Any other ideas?
Are you having specific issues running the Altitude on the 2.4Ghz channel? I've recently upgraded my router (last weekend) but the old one ran the entire network only at 2.4Ghz. Most of my devices are hard wired with Cat6A ethernet, except the mobile devices, but even so connecting to the Altitude via a the 2.4Ghz network on an iPad or iPhone was never an issue. It's not likes its bandwidth requirements are high, and if you've managed to get all the other devices working on the 5Ghz channel, the 2.4Ghz channel should be fairly free of traffic.

If you are having VNC signal loss etc, you could try a higher gain antenna in the Altitude. You could also try a 5Ghz Wi-fi adapter - most use the USB port (which I suspect the Altitude won't have generic drivers loaded for) but there are some that plug into the ethernet port.
post #5528 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 04:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
5 Ghz connection on WiFi to the Altitude, or a 5 Ghz router with the Altitude hard wired on the Ethernet cable?
Wired. And also I noted that you could run a 100 foot ethernet cable and be temporarily back in business (ugly wire laying in your house notwithstanding )
post #5529 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anyone here has any experience with Amplitude 8 or Amplitude 8m amplifiers from Trinnov? If you do, can you please share your thoughts on these amps?

Also, anyone have any idea on the pricing for Altitude EXT and any additional information on those?
post #5530 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 660
^^
They use the same Hypex NC500 class D amp modules as ATI's AT52X7NC amps. I have the ATI 527nc 7ch model and it works great with my center/surround Magnepans which are both inefficient & 4 ohm. Sounds very smooth and handles dynamic peaks well. I believe the NAD class D amp also uses the same Hypex modules.

If I'm not mistaken, I think ATI may also be making these for Trinnov with Trinnov-specific design and modifications, like the DB25 inputs. I read that somewhere recently but can't recall the source. If I'm wrong on this, I;m sure someone can correct me. But if true, ATI is a solid amp mfg with a great reputation & OEMs for other hi-end brands like Theta Digital & Datasat, which they own. Both their class A/B and class D amps have excellent reputation. And Hypex modules are considered one of the best class D designs. So whether they are OEM'd or made directly by Trinnov themselves, they have to be high performance solid amps. That said, I don't have direct experience with the Amplitude.
Tuning likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 11-23-2018 at 05:54 AM.
post #5531 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Are you having specific issues running the Altitude on the 2.4Ghz channel? I've recently upgraded my router (last weekend) but the old one ran the entire network only at 2.4Ghz.
No problem on my old dedicated 2.4 Ghz network in the HT, which I used for the past three years until last week (I had the Altitude on Ethernet to the router as a wired connection, as well as a legacy Oppo 103). But since the direct wired router/Internet connection dedicated in that room is now DOA for the indefinite future, I was looking for workarounds short of stringing 100 ft Ethernet connections on the floor as Chuck (audioguy) suggested. The old network still works as an "intranet" for the HT, but I've lost the Internet in the room unless I access Internet from a router that I placed on the far end of the house where the coaxial cable connection to the router still works.

5 Ghz is strong enough to stream 4K through our 2250 square foot condo from one end of the house to another with that relocated router, so I could get by with just 5 Ghz Wifi in my HT except that the Altitude can't find that network. My guess is that the 5 Ghz is 802.11ac, which AFAIK isn't supported by the Altitude. Tried by "n" networks on the Access Point menu of the Altitude with no luck.

The Altitude can find the 2.4 Ghz network from that router, but it's weak. Maybe 2-5 Mbps at best when I run speed tests from that network in the HT vs. 50 Mbps or better on 5 Ghz. Same router, dual networks supported.

Quote:
Most of my devices are hard wired with Cat6A ethernet, except the mobile devices, but even so connecting to the Altitude via a the 2.4Ghz network on an iPad or iPhone was never an issue. It's not likes its bandwidth requirements are high, and if you've managed to get all the other devices working on the 5Ghz channel, the 2.4Ghz channel should be fairly free of traffic.
True, except that I want all my devices on the same network so that I can use the iPad to control them (VNC, Oppo apps, Roku etc.) until I do a real control system. Just having the Altitude on 2.4 Ghz means that I don't have all my devices on the same network. And putting my devices on a weak network isn't a great idea.

Quote:
If you are having VNC signal loss etc, you could try a higher gain antenna in the Altitude. You could also try a 5Ghz Wi-fi adapter - most use the USB port (which I suspect the Altitude won't have generic drivers loaded for) but there are some that plug into the ethernet port.
Probably the mesh/extender of the 5 Ghz network, where I connect the Altitude using the attached Ethernet ports on the extender and keep a single network, is the best way to go if/until my cable/Internet provider can rewire into my HT and I can get my contractor here to fix their damage LOL.

I bought a Netgear extender last night in the Black Friday shopping frenzy so we'll see how that goes. The one I picked up does have the separate backbone vs. channel broadcasting, so allegedly I won't get the signal dropoff of a repeater.
ss9001 likes this.

Last edited by sdrucker; 11-23-2018 at 08:48 AM.
post #5532 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True, except that I want all my devices on the same network so that I can use the iPad to control them (VNC, Oppo apps, Roku etc.) until I do a real control system. Just having the Altitude on 2.4 Ghz means that I don't have all my devices on the same network. And putting my devices on a weak network isn't a great idea.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re doing (I’m by no means an expert on this) but having devices on different bandwidth channels doesn’t mean they on different networks. With my new router there are separate WiFi connections/logins for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless channels, but they’re all on the same network as long as they are using the same DHCP server and are within the same IP address range (e.g. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254), I have multiple device on our 2.4Ghz bandwidth and I reserve the 5Ghz bandwidth for devices I consider more important, some aren’t even able to connect to the 5Ghz channel due to age, but all my devices can see and connect to one another in spite of being on different channels.

So there should be no reason why you can’t have the Altitude on a 2.4Ghz channel, and all the other devices on the 5Ghz channel, without having to log in and out of different wireless networks.
post #5533 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuning View Post
Anyone here has any experience with Amplitude 8 or Amplitude 8m amplifiers from Trinnov? If you do, can you please share your thoughts on these amps?

Also, anyone have any idea on the pricing for Altitude EXT and any additional information on those?
I am using the ATI equivalent - an 8 channel version and a 7 channel version. And has been stated, I am 99% sure ATI makes the Trinnov amps as they do the amps for Datasat, even before they purchased Datasat. If I were to ever add more speakers, (No! No! A thousand times No!) would use an ATI amp for them as well.
ss9001, llang269 and Tuning like this.
post #5534 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re doing (I’m by no means an expert on this) but having devices on different bandwidth channels doesn’t mean they on different networks. With my new router there are separate WiFi connections/logins for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless channels, but they’re all on the same network as long as they are using the same DHCP server and are within the same IP address range (e.g. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254), I have multiple device on our 2.4Ghz bandwidth and I reserve the 5Ghz bandwidth for devices I consider more important, some aren’t even able to connect to the 5Ghz channel due to age, but all my devices can see and connect to one another in spite of being on different channels.

So there should be no reason why you can’t have the Altitude on a 2.4Ghz channel, and all the other devices on the 5Ghz channel, without having to log in and out of different wireless networks.
Last I checked on my Netgear AC1900 router, 2.4 and 5 Ghz were only configurable on separate networks, and that's what I see on my Admin options. There's an advanced feature called SmartConnect on a firmware update that I can enable that will put them on the same name (thanks Wookii for the idea) but it still means having the Altitude on a low speed in the HT room. It's now barely 2 Mbps on the 2.4 Ghz network, separate network name or not, and considerably higher IF I could have gotten on 5 Ghz with the Altitude. Hence this issue - at any rate, I’ll try the mesh/extender with Ethernet ports and see if this solves my immediate issue (hopefully short-term).

Edit: Problem solved. Hooked up the Netgear Nighthawk mesh/extender, went through a few cycles of WPS setup and voila! - we have the complete network back. I not only got the Altitude to pick up a proper IP address under Ethernet, using the 5 Ghz/Ethernet bridge, but the 5 Ghz network got recognized by the WiFi Access Point connection and I'm back in business (other than having the Xfinity X1 DVR DOA and having to use a streaming app for TV over the Roku for now).

Apparently having over 60% strength and being recognized by every other wireless capable device in the HT room wasn't enough for the Altitude; having the extender to boost the network signal got it picked up right away. Go figure.

On the bright side, with the extender I can now get 130 Mbps speeds in the HT over WiFi .

Time to get back to watching movies...onward we go
ss9001 and Wookii like this.

Last edited by sdrucker; 11-23-2018 at 11:50 PM.
post #5535 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have only had a Trinnov for 2 days (and loving it!) so please bear with me if I ask basic questions.

I have searched all the menus to find the setting for Lip Sync but can't locate it.

Can anyone help me find it?
post #5536 of 9105 Old 11-23-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 787
ATI manufactures amplifiers for like 100 companies including Theta Digital, Datasat, Trinnov and many, many others! ATI also owns BGW for commercial theater amplifiers (all Harkins Theaters have or will And ATI's Datasat is also big in commercial theater SSPs.
Tuning likes this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #5537 of 9105 Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Big fan of ATI - have three of the 6007s in my system including tri-amping my KEF Reference 1's and 204C. If you want to learn more about ATI and the genius behind the company see the interview with Morris in Widescreen review a few years ago.
post #5538 of 9105 Old 11-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I am using the ATI equivalent - an 8 channel version and a 7 channel version. And has been stated, I am 99% sure ATI makes the Trinnov amps as they do the amps for Datasat, even before they purchased Datasat. If I were to ever add more speakers, (No! No! A thousand times No!) would use an ATI amp for them as well.
I have no personal experience with neither ATI or Trinnov amplifiers, but I think the ATI amplifiers are more in line with the Amplitude 8M, using NC500 modules. I think (but I am not 100% sure) that the Amplitude 8 has NC1200 modules. Another point is that the Trinnov amplifiers have about 8-9 dB lower gain than the ATI, better matching the output voltage of the Altitude. Anyway, both amplifiers should be excellent choices.
Tuning likes this.
post #5539 of 9105 Old 11-24-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
I have no personal experience with neither ATI or Trinnov amplifiers, but I think the ATI amplifiers are more in line with the Amplitude 8M, using NC500 modules. I think (but I am not 100% sure) that the Amplitude 8 has NC1200 modules. Another point is that the Trinnov amplifiers have about 8-9 dB lower gain than the ATI, better matching the output voltage of the Altitude. Anyway, both amplifiers should be excellent choices.
The Altitude 8M is basically is rebadged ATI AT528NC and the Altitude 8 is a rebadged Theta Dreadnaught D. As I understand it changing the gain on the Hypex amps is a matter of a changing the value of a single component on the main amp board.

I have two of the Altitude 8M’s, they are superb amps.
Tuning likes this.
post #5540 of 9105 Old 11-25-2018, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htnut2000 View Post
I have only had a Trinnov for 2 days (and loving it!) so please bear with me if I ask basic questions.

I have searched all the menus to find the setting for Lip Sync but can't locate it.

Can anyone help me find it?

Go into your settings.

Go to the Processor tab.

You wil find it under Master, Master delay (it is not called lip sync in the Trinnov)

Hope this helps.
Htnut2000 likes this.
post #5541 of 9105 Old 11-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuning View Post

I have the Amplitude8 connected to my Altitude32 (I plan for two of these, but budget is busted for this year).

Regarding Amplitude8, its a different beast than Amplitude8M

From Trinnov:
Quote:
The specifications for the Amplitude8 include the ability of any single channel on either/both of the power supplies to hit 1200w at 2Ω for peaks. This is simply an indication of how extraordinarily powerful the power supplies are, as well as the transient capability of the Hypex nCore1200 modules we employ. On an RMS basis, each power supply can provide a total of about 2000w total into a 2Ω load, which works out to 500wpc @ 2Ω for all channels driven (assuming the wall outlet can support that much steady-state power).
I'm very happy with the Amplitude8; even on the B&W 803 D2 which dip down below 2.4 Ohm. My system also measured much better after replacing previous Classe CA5300 with the Amplitude8. Massive dip on the frequency response curve around 50Hz gone It plays fantastic both on music and DTS-HD.MA/DTS:X/TrueHD/Atmos.

Highly recommended! I can't wait until I get my hands on a new one in addition to the one I got.

Edit:
It sounds fantastic straight out of the box; but Trinnov recommend letting it "burn-in" for a week to get optimal performance. Fantastic open and detailed, in addition to being extreme good at the lower frequencies as well. The instrument separation is one of the best I have ever heard (regardless of budget). Music really moved away from the speakers out in the room in a better way than with previous amplifier. Using the activate subs for music doesn't adds very much to the music anymore (unless the material go well below 30Hz)

Edit2:
And it is manufactured by ATI (both Amplitude8 and Amplitude8M) - this is actually a good thing. ATI knows their stuff regarding amplifiers.
Tuning likes this.

HT: Trinnov Altitude32 (AL32-1632)/Amplitude8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 Network Player - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846

Last edited by Berland; 11-26-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #5542 of 9105 Old 11-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone uses JBL 3722 and 4641 sub with Attitude32?

I am interested to find out how you set the electronic X'over for 3722 and dial in the 4641 sub.

I am advised to start by copying the preset parameters for 3722 and 4641 from Crown DSi amp into Attitude32.

looking for sharing experience and advises
post #5543 of 9105 Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
The Altitude 8M is basically is rebadged ATI AT528NC and the Altitude 8 is a rebadged Theta Dreadnaught D. As I understand it changing the gain on the Hypex amps is a matter of a changing the value of a single component on the main amp board.

I have two of the Altitude 8M’s, they are superb amps.
They might be voiced differently? I see reports that the ATI N-core amps have a different presentation than the Theta Dreadnaught D. I was hoping the Altitude 8 might have the N1200 modules but be voiced more like the ATI N-core amps. More lively and less mellow...

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #5544 of 9105 Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
They might be voiced differently? I see reports that the ATI N-core amps have a different presentation than the Theta Dreadnaught D. I was hoping the Altitude 8 might have the N1200 modules but be voiced more like the ATI N-core amps. More lively and less mellow...

From my time at ATI/Theta I can tell you that there were no efforts to give these amps different voices.

I also have no reservations about the liveliness of the Dreadnaught D or any of its kin. During one CES setup with a very elaborate system we compared the Dread D with another outstanding amp. After only 5 minutes of evaluation we put the Dread back in the system because it sounded more alive.

FWIW, I purchased an NC500 based ATI for my own system and clearly have no reservations about it's sonic presentation either.

IMO, the clear differences between the ATI based NC1200 and NC500 based amps are power below 4 ohms and the ability to bridge the NC1200. When bridged they offer immense power well beyond their rated specs.

Jeff

Last edited by Stereojeff; 11-28-2018 at 06:18 PM.
post #5545 of 9105 Old 11-29-2018, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No offense, but you're getting into audio-phoolery territory there. You're not going to be able to identify any audible difference between any of those amps. Thats not me jumping on the 'all amps sound the same' band wagon either, its more that they all share such similar technology that they share more in common than they have differences.

In its stock form with the Hypex SMS PSU the NC1200 is substantially more powerful than the NC500, however when twinning with linear PSU's powering multiple modules the gap is a lot narrower (which is why the NC1200 based Amplitude 8 only goes to 225/375/500W at 8/4/2 ohms rather than the 400/700/1200W the NC1200 module can normally achieve).

As can be seen from the specs on these models at 8/4 Ohm (8 = 225W/375W, 8M =200W/300W) there's not a massive difference in power output between them, but as Jeff says, the 8 can probably deliver more power at 2ohm.

If you have fairly well behaved speakers that don't dip below 2 ohms, you probably wont see much benefit from having the 8 over the 8M. If you want the absolute best, the 8 is clearly it though, but the incremental gain comes at a substantial cost given that the 8 is double the price of the 8M
sdrucker likes this.
post #5546 of 9105 Old 11-29-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
No offense, but you're getting into audio-phoolery territory there. You're not going to be able to identify any audible difference between any of those amps. Thats not me jumping on the 'all amps sound the same' band wagon either, its more that they all share such similar technology that they share more in common than they have differences.

In its stock form with the Hypex SMS PSU the NC1200 is substantially more powerful than the NC500, however when twinning with linear PSU's powering multiple modules the gap is a lot narrower (which is why the NC1200 based Amplitude 8 only goes to 225/375/500W at 8/4/2 ohms rather than the 400/700/1200W the NC1200 module can normally achieve).

As can be seen from the specs on these models at 8/4 Ohm (8 = 225W/375W, 8M =200W/300W) there's not a massive difference in power output between them, but as Jeff says, the 8 can probably deliver more power at 2ohm.

If you have fairly well behaved speakers that don't dip below 2 ohms, you probably wont see much benefit from having the 8 over the 8M. If you want the absolute best, the 8 is clearly it though, but the incremental gain comes at a substantial cost given that the 8 is double the price of the 8M
Others have made the claim. I just asked a question. I’ve never heard the ATI amps, so don’t have an opinion. I do ask for and value the subjective opinion of others. I really wish audio was so simple I could just look at the specs and KNOW exactly how the product sounds.

post #5547 of 9105 Old 11-29-2018, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really wish audio was so simple I could just look at the specs and KNOW exactly how the product sounds.
Or you can get old enough with less than perfect hearing (like me) so that the differences, if even audible, are close to meaningless (at least in the case of well designed and built electronics). I can't even imagine how much money I've saved in this hobby by no longer wondering (and hence, purchasing) if high end amp A sounds better than high end amp B.

With the advent of high end processors like the Trinnov or Datasat, I can get WAY more "improvement" at zero out of pocket expense by diddling with target curves - which, unfortunately, can cost LOTS of time even if zero $$.

And no, I don't think all high end amps sound the same - but way more than close enough for my ears !!! And in the specific case of these amps, that is why I bought the ATI version vs the Trinnov version.
ss9001 likes this.
post #5548 of 9105 Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Quote:

From my time at ATI/Theta I can tell you that there were no efforts to give these amps different voices.

I also have no reservations about the liveliness of the Dreadnaught D or any of its kin. During one CES setup with a very elaborate system we compared the Dread D with another outstanding amp. After only 5 minutes of evaluation we put the Dread back in the system because it sounded more alive.

FWIW, I purchased an NC500 based ATI for my own system and clearly have no reservations about it's sonic presentation either.

IMO, the clear differences between the ATI based NC1200 and NC500 based amps are power below 4 ohms and the ability to bridge the NC1200. When bridged they offer immense power well beyond their rated specs.

Jeff
Thank you. Great info! I’ve heard the Prometheus. I plan to hear the ATI signature shortly.

post #5549 of 9105 Old 11-29-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I really wish audio was so simple I could just look at the specs and KNOW exactly how the product sounds.
Or you can get old enough with less than perfect hearing (like me) so that the differences, if even audible, are close to meaningless (at least in the case of well designed and built electronics). I can't even imagine how much money I've saved in this hobby by no longer wondering (and hence, purchasing) if high end amp A sounds better than high end amp B.

With the advent of high end processors like the Trinnov or Datasat, I can get WAY more "improvement" at zero out of pocket expense by diddling with target curves - which, unfortunately, can cost LOTS of time even if zero $$.

And no, I don't think all high end amps sound the same - but way more than close enough for my ears !!! And in the specific case of these amps, that is why I bought the ATI version vs the Trinnov version.
Great post! I’m not quite where you are YET, lol.

post #5550 of 9105 Old 11-29-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Others have made the claim. I just asked a question. I’ve never heard the ATI amps, so don’t have an opinion. I do ask for and value the subjective opinion of others. I really wish audio was so simple I could just look at the specs and KNOW exactly how the product sounds.
Heh heh, that would be too easy.

I replaced a small Anthem multichannel amp with a 7 channel AT2007 amp for my "small" side ATC speakers and my 4 ceiling speakers. When I first received the amp I put the baby ATCs up front just to hear the ATI amp in action and couldn't believe how much "better" it sounded than the older Anthem amp. I wasn't trying to validate the purchase to myself - I'll buy what I want based on what I consider "value" - but I would have no qualms recommending ATI as a brand just based on my own experience with one of their mid-grade amps. It's built well, engineered well according to reviews, and it sounds good. Mind you, you could say that about many amplifiers but knowing that ATI builds amps for many different brands makes you understand that they really know what they are doing.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page