I spent this weekend migrating my subs from a minidsp to a Xilica.
I started with the minidsp 2x4HD to free up channels on the Alt16 and it did a fine job but
seriously interfered with the operation of the URC RF based controls & remotes I use. RF saturation in the same range apparently that URC uses, with sub cables acting as antenna! I tried everything from changing location, moving cables, even a home brew faraday cage - a metal cookie tin! The tin worked but was position dependent on stopping the RF interference. Imagine putting a minidsp in a tin can with cables hanging out under the lid; and it was the lid that did the trick. I then figured on something more professional
- one of those steel electrical boxes that has knock-outs for elect. conduits from amazon for $30. That was not as good as the cookie tin
and needed to be on the floor - still very clunky and still not as effective. But I gave it my best shot to make the minidsp work in my setup.
So my experiment with a minidsp ended with spending the $$ for a Xilica XP2040. I then had to deal with matching the gain levels between the 2. I used Omnimic to measure freq response curves with each sub in each DSP, get their SPL readings & even measured each output's peak voltages. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to make any changes in the gains. The curves & SPL readings were nearly perfectly matched and voltages were even close to the same. This is interesting to me since the Xilica uses dBu as units of gain and the minidsp supposedly
(claimed by several owners) is in dBfs. But the proof was in the results so after a day of many measurements, I'm using the Xilica with the Altitude. I'll keep the minidsp as a back-up.
I like the Xilica. It's 4 times the cost of the minidsp but more robust & better quality solution plus network access is so much more convenient than being tethered to the minidsp with a USB cable.
I chalk this experience to part of going down the rabbit hole
Part of my journey learning the ropes.