Forum Jump: 
 2550Likes

post #7261 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Can anyone tell me the current/latest non-beta firmware on the A16? Thanks Much - Paul

Just rack installed and powered up for first time. Mine says 4.2.8.2? Am I close?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 04:34 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 565
AFAIK, 4.2.8.2 is the most recent official release.
dinamigym likes this.
post #7263 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 04:40 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Perfect...Thanks a ton!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7264 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Correct.
dinamigym likes this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #7265 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Mind explaining what you have in mind?

Atmos doesn't have a Top channel or center height defined, so although I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish, I'm thinking it won't.

I've worked on a few systems that had specific speaker locations for Atmos, and then a few others for DTS and Auro3D, but aside from doing some odd arraying of channels, if you have a Top speaker location, Atmos won't use it. Both of the other formats have limited channel counts as well, so for DTS as an example, if you define a Center Height, then something else has to go.
I had just planned to do 10 ceiling speakers, and I also expressed worry about remapping for atmos actually using a channel such as VOG. I started off wanting to do 9.1.6 correctly, and despite the promise, the emotiva rmc-1 didn't deliver. So, I plan to go Trinnov, and the thought is to maximize the use of all 32 channels.

For sale: 2 Mackie c200 speakers, 4 Mackie c300z speakers, Sony HW40es projector, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #7266 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
I had just planned to do 10 ceiling speakers, and I also expressed worry about remapping for atmos actually using a channel such as VOG. I started off wanting to do 9.1.6 correctly, and despite the promise, the emotiva rmc-1 didn't deliver. So, I plan to go Trinnov, and the thought is to maximize the use of all 32 channels.
Great. I do highly recommend working with someone to help you design your speaker layout. Trinnov has some best practices and recommendations that are based on room size including height, seating locations, number of rows, etc.

JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
post #7267 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
To verify if DTS:X Pro is part; you can just try a DTS:X track and see if you get more than 12 channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My old install is still current and only has 5.4.2. When my new install/renovation is complete, then I can try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
You can just select a predefined layout with max speakers. And see in the Processor/Meters screen. No need to actually have corresponding speakers
OK. I did this. DTS:X Pro speaker layout is not here yet!!!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation and if a dealer tells you I refer to them don’t believe it! ! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #7268 of 7589 Old 05-25-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Great. I do highly recommend working with someone to help you design your speaker layout. Trinnov has some best practices and recommendations that are based on room size including height, seating locations, number of rows, etc.
Adam thanks for emailing with me and giving me some good setup info, so that when my theatre renovation/install is done (July/August), I can do it right, and once we are all done and all is working, I'll do the initial rudimentary calibration, and line you up to come out for the big shebang top pro top dog calibration! (I'm enjoying my "old" 5.2.4 setup now, will have 9.4.10? setup once I"m all done. My main floor, three Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanders, and 6 Ariel Acoustics 7LCR on walls, will all be vertical at same level. My four subwoofers, two JL Audio f212s (chained) and two Paradigm Personal subwoofers (using splitter on one channel), will be at quarter points of each wall. Thanks to your excellent discussions by email with me. You explained that you will calibrate the subwoofers essentially as one channel, first using Trinnov PEQ, then optimization, so I can split/chain whatever because you will end up adjusting the gain on each subwoofer along with first doing PEQ then optimization. I figure I'll use two channels of Altitude 32 for the 4 subs, because the Paradigm subs go a bit deeper down to like 12 Hz than the JL Audio subwoofers which are like down to 20 Hz, so that gives flexibility if we want to increase the level for the Paradigm subs below 20 Hz! My installer Gerry Behm [email protected] is getting with Trinnov for assistance to ensure best placement of all speakers. Ceiling speakers will be, as you suggested and Gerry agrees this is best, Triad Rotatable Silver 9s. Now how many ceiling speakers? Since I have 9 main channels and 2 subwoofer channels, this leaves 13 channels available, so up to 13 inceiling speakers, depending upon what my installer recommends after getting with Trinnov. Again, thanks so much. Eventually I will be using you as I am addicted to audio and can't stand the thought that no matter how good I have it sounding that you can even do much better. Very scary thinking this!

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 If I recommend a dealer It will be a person to person recommendation and if a dealer tells you I refer to them don’t believe it! ! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade awaiting July/August 2019!
post #7269 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all,

My Trinnov will be coming next week.

I'm about to install 6 x 2 way atmos speaker with bracket in the ceiling.

Do you calculate Headspace from MLP's ear to ceiling? or is it MLP's ear to bottom of atmos speaker (as my bottom part of the speaker will be about 28cm bellow the ceiling).

Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you.
post #7270 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 09:12 AM

"The best stereo equipment I know is forgettable. When everything’s just right I don’t think about the system, only the music. We work so hard to make products that are both remarkable and iconic. Yet, when they do their job, the best we can hope is for them to disappear. Imagine designing an automobile, computer, or some new piece of techie gear in the hopes people will ignore it. Seems crazy, yet that’s exactly what audio designers do. Fact is, we’re proudest when we see toes tapping, smiles breaking, and eyes closed in response to the music. We hope our products are forgettable. It’s the music we want you to remember."

This is how I describe how my Trinnov Altitude 32 sounds sonically - even before my theatre gets renovated with more speakers, etc and before the final touch calibration by the wizard Adam Pelz.

But I gotta be honest. I didn't write this. These are the words of Paul McGowan, PS Audio! Truer audio words have never been spoken.
Papouche Le Mec likes this.

post #7271 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4461 Post(s)
Liked: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
Hi all,

My Trinnov will be coming next week.

I'm about to install 6 x 2 way atmos speaker with bracket in the ceiling.

Do you calculate Headspace from MLP's ear to ceiling? or is it MLP's ear to bottom of atmos speaker (as my bottom part of the speaker will be about 28cm bellow the ceiling).

Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you.
MLP's ear to bottom of atmos speaker. And keep that in mind as you calculate the angles as well.
post #7272 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
MLP's ear to bottom of atmos speaker. And keep that in mind as you calculate the angles as well.

Thank you Chuck for the confirmation. You always eager to help!

I will mark the bottom part in the middle of the tweeter and woofer as it is the sweet spot. The angle is 30 degree with tweeter point toward the MLP.

Is this good enough?
post #7273 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Rise & Grind

Trinnov Altitude

Sorry...I’ve looked hi and low but I cant seem to find. Can anyone tell me what rj45 adapter the A16 accepts for Rs232 control? Is it a null or standard?

Thanks Much, Paul

Last edited by dinamigym; 05-26-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #7274 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you Chuck for the confirmation. You always eager to help!

I will mark the bottom part in the middle of the tweeter and woofer as it is the sweet spot. The angle is 30 degree with tweeter point toward the MLP.

Is this good enough?
Not sure I understand. The angles I am referring to are those recommended by Dolby for the front and rear heights.

Check out this document. Read it all and check out page 40

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf
post #7275 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Adam thanks for emailing with me ....... My four subwoofers, two JL Audio f212s (chained) and two Paradigm Personal subwoofers (using splitter on one channel), will be at quarter points of each wall. Thanks to your excellent discussions by email with me. You explained that you will calibrate the subwoofers essentially as one channel, first using Trinnov PEQ, then optimization, so I can split/chain whatever because you will end up adjusting the gain on each subwoofer along with first doing PEQ then optimization. I figure I'll use two channels of Altitude 32 for the 4 subs, because the Paradigm subs go a bit deeper down to like 12 Hz than the JL Audio subwoofers which are like down to 20 Hz, so that gives flexibility if we want to increase the level for the Paradigm subs below 20 Hz!....
Steve/Adam/Folks,

Just curious, if you are not co-locating the subs, why not use the subs as separate channels, or is it practically more cumbersome wrt measuring and placement (I admit struggled with two, not done w 3rd yet). With Trinnov you can add PEQ without much limitations right (unlike other processors)?

Regards,
Kishore
post #7276 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
Steve/Adam/Folks,

Just curious, if you are not co-locating the subs, why not use the subs as separate channels, or is it practically more cumbersome wrt measuring and placement (I admit struggled with two, not done w 3rd yet). With Trinnov you can add PEQ without much limitations right (unlike other processors)?

Regards,
Kishore
You can. But Adam will essentially adjust the gain for each sub. Our home theatres are relatively "small" rooms, even my theatre, and for such rooms its best for do optimization essentially as one subwoofer unit from a practical standpoint. If you adjust each sub individually for optimization, then the subs still interact with each other and the individual sub optimization you have done is not accurate or effective. Adam can add or clarify if he feels the need. So Adam doesn't care how many Trinnov sub outputs I use or splitters or chains, that's how he does his magic!

post #7277 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can. But Adam will essentially adjust the gain for each sub. Our home theatres are relatively "small" rooms, even my theatre, and for such rooms its best for do optimization essentially as one subwoofer unit from a practical standpoint. If you adjust each sub individually for optimization, then the subs still interact with each other and the individual sub optimization you have done is not accurate or effective. Adam can add or clarify if he feels the need. So Adam doesn't care how many Trinnov sub outputs I use or splitters or chains, that's how he does his magic!
I'm not Adam, but with every processor I have used, I have also always used and external box for multi-sub LFE management. I am currently using a miniDSP but have previously used a QSC product.

I use it to set trims and delays of the various sub groups to provide the smoothest response with all subs working together (measured with REW or OmniMic) and prior to any EQ. Then I apply PEQs (currently in the Trinnov but with my previous processor, I did those in the miniDSP). Then Optimizer. I only use 1 of the Trinnov outputs to do this.
kingwiggi likes this.
post #7278 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Sorry...I’ve looked hi and low but I cant seem to find. Can anyone tell me what rj45 adapter the A16 accepts for Rs232 control? Is it a null or standard?

Thanks Much, Paul

It isn't an RJ45, it is a DB9 connector. I don't know the pinout tho, although for certain pins 2,3, and 5. Pins 2&3 are Tx and Rx and pin 5 is Gnd.

Ah, I see you said adapter so maybe you are referring to a RJ45 to DB9 adapter. I still don't know as I always use IP for control, but buy two adapters (or one plus a pin extractor). Easy enough to swap pins 2&3.

Years ago, a company I owned in Atl adopted our own "standard" using CatX cable for RS232 comms. Both end of the RJ45-DB9 adapter were pinned out the same way.

Blue - Pin2
Black - Pin3
Green - Pin5

Then you could make the cable null or straight simply making the RJ45 up as either 568A or 568B on either end.
dinamigym likes this.

post #7279 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Steve/Adam/Folks,

Regards,
Kishore
Primarily because in small rooms, multiple subs behave as a single sub. (See Note)
If you designate them as separate channels then Room Optimizer will treat each sub independently, and you will not get a predictable result. There are ways to calibrate multiple subs using separate channels, but way beyond the scope of this thread. Check out MSO if you want to do that. Or look up Harman-Welti-Devantier multiple subwoofer calibration, put your subs in good locations, and treat them as one channel.

Note : For example, if you put matching subwoofers with the same gain and phase in a rectangular room, with one sub in the middle of the front wall and one sub in the middle of the rear wall, they will behave like one subwoofer placed in the middle of the room.
sdrucker and Papouche Le Mec like this.

post #7280 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Rise & Grind

Quote:
It isn't an RJ45, it is a DB9 connector. I don't know the pinout tho, although for certain pins 2,3, and 5. Pins 2&3 are Tx and Rx and pin 5 is Gnd.

Ah, I see you said adapter so maybe you are referring to a RJ45 to DB9 adapter. I still don't know as I always use IP for control, but buy two adapters (or one plus a pin extractor). Easy enough to swap pins 2&3.

Years ago, a company I owned in Atl adopted our own "standard" using CatX cable for RS232 comms. Both end of the RJ45-DB9 adapter were pinned out the same way.

Blue - Pin2
Black - Pin3
Green - Pin5

Then you could make the cable null or straight simply making the RJ45 up as either 568A or 568B on either end.
Thank you! Sounds like a good plan. I'll try both pin outs.
post #7281 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Adam thanks for emailing with me and giving me some good setup info, so that when my theatre renovation/install is done (July/August), I can do it right, and once we are all done and all is working, I'll do the initial rudimentary calibration, and line you up to come out for the big shebang top pro top dog calibration! (I'm enjoying my "old" 5.2.4 setup now, will have 9.4.10? setup once I"m all done. My main floor, three Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanders, and 6 Ariel Acoustics 7LCR on walls, will all be vertical at same level. My four subwoofers, two JL Audio f212s (chained) and two Paradigm Personal subwoofers (using splitter on one channel), will be at quarter points of each wall. Thanks to your excellent discussions by email with me. You explained that you will calibrate the subwoofers essentially as one channel, first using Trinnov PEQ, then optimization, so I can split/chain whatever because you will end up adjusting the gain on each subwoofer along with first doing PEQ then optimization. I figure I'll use two channels of Altitude 32 for the 4 subs, because the Paradigm subs go a bit deeper down to like 12 Hz than the JL Audio subwoofers which are like down to 20 Hz, so that gives flexibility if we want to increase the level for the Paradigm subs below 20 Hz! My installer Gerry Behm [email protected] is getting with Trinnov for assistance to ensure best placement of all speakers. Ceiling speakers will be, as you suggested and Gerry agrees this is best, Triad Rotatable Silver 9s. Now how many ceiling speakers? Since I have 9 main channels and 2 subwoofer channels, this leaves 13 channels available, so up to 13 inceiling speakers, depending upon what my installer recommends after getting with Trinnov. Again, thanks so much. Eventually I will be using you as I am addicted to audio and can't stand the thought that no matter how good I have it sounding that you can even do much better. Very scary thinking this!
How many rows of seating do you have? One of the Trinnov recommendations/solutions is the standard 10 Atmos speakers, and then add a single Height Center and a pair of Tops to cover multiple rows, which would get you to your 13 channels and do a good job with all 3 immersive formats.

L&R Height Front
L&R Top Front
L&R Top Middle
L&R Top Rear
L&R Height Rear
Center Height
Top (x2)

I'd probably add another output card, and get your system up to 13.x.13 and then you and Ash can compare notes.

Last edited by appelz; 05-26-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #7282 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Primarily because in small rooms, multiple subs behave as a single sub. (See Note)
If you designate them as separate channels then Room Optimizer will treat each sub independently, and you will not get a predictable result. There are ways to calibrate multiple subs using separate channels, but way beyond the scope of this thread. Check out MSO if you want to do that. Or look up Harman-Welti-Devantier multiple subwoofer calibration, put your subs in good locations, and treat them as one channel.

Note : For example, if you put matching subwoofers with the same gain and phase in a rectangular room, with one sub in the middle of the front wall and one sub in the middle of the rear wall, they will behave like one subwoofer placed in the middle of the room.
Thanks Steve/Adam. I was curious if there was an easier/ different alternative- guess not :-).

Regards,
Kishore
P.S.>I was following Geddes method described using DCX2496. Another topic of discussion.
post #7283 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks Steve/Adam. I was curious if there was an easier/ different alternative- guess not :-).

Regards,
Kishore
P.S.>I was following Geddes method described using DCX2496. Another topic of discussion.
Sure, his brute force method can work. I've had hit or miss results in my Lab, and have never used that method at a clients. Far too time consuming, I almost never have the ability to try different sub locations, and I usually have similar if not matched subs.

post #7284 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 2911 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
For non unmixed 2 channel, my standard presets are good no bass adjustment needed. I have 10 Seaton F18 in four locations. The front sound stage speakers are crossed over to the 2 4sub towers (R&L) behind the screen. The right surrounds and tops are crossed over to the right mid room sub and the left surrounds/tops are crossed over to the left mid room sub. It seems like on the 2 channel Auro 3D up-mix extra bass is going to these mid room subs (extra bass in the surrounds). This does not seem to happen on multi-channel recordings that are up mixed in Auro 3D.
Hearing excess bass when upmixing 2-ch with Auro (and also "Party" mode) is not unexpected.

Let's say you have a side sub carrying bass from 4 channels, 2 side surrounds and 2 heights. Let's assume that the signals in each channel are all the same level and coherent (all being derived from the L source). When 4 copies of a signal are summed, the output increases 12 dB. If the main speakers are also carrying the same signal, the acoustic sum will be somewhere between 6 and 9 dB. That means the bass will be 3 to 6 dB stronger in the upmixed presentation than existed in the source.

The less coherent the derived upmix signals, the less noticeable the bass buildup will be.

Making a "2-ch Auro" preset with the subwoofer levels tailored to taste is the right way to go.
Lasalle likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 05-26-2019 at 05:22 PM.
post #7285 of 7589 Old 05-26-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Not sure I understand. The angles I am referring to are those recommended by Dolby for the front and rear heights.

Check out this document. Read it all and check out page 40

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf

I dont have height speaker, I use 6 overhead speakers and the are tilted 30 degree with the tweeter in the bottom.
post #7286 of 7589 Old 05-27-2019, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI Cables and standards

Hi

I got a Trinnov installed 3 weeks ago and I am connecting my projector which is a Sony 4K HDR projector. During the Trinnov installation the installer I asked me how old my HDMI cable was and I informed him that it was 10 years old. It was a HDMI 1.2 cable. At that point he offered to sell me a high quality HDMI 1.4 cable that was HDCP 2.2 compatible so that I could enjoy 4K and HDR through the Trinnov because according to him there was no way I was getting a 4k signal from a 10 year HDMI cable. So at this point a activated my OPPO 203 put in a 4K HDR blu ray and showed him what was showing on the info page of the projector. The projector was clearly showing that it was receiving a 4k signal with HDR. At this point the installer said it was just not possible as the 1.4 standards simply did not exist when my cable was manufactured.

Does anyone have any ideas or explanation as to how my 10 year old cable does seem to work with the projector. The cable is a 15 metres Tributaries HDMI 1.2 cable

thanks

Y
post #7287 of 7589 Old 05-27-2019, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same for me. MY « old » cable works very well.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
post #7288 of 7589 Old 05-27-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I dont have height speaker, I use 6 overhead speakers and the are tilted 30 degree with the tweeter in the bottom.
Sorry. I call my speakers on the ceiling height speakers. Overhead is more accurate.

The tilt of the speaker is useful to aim it at the MLP. That said, the document I forwarded shows the (very highly) RECOMMENDED guidelines on "overhead" speaker placement -- but you will need to consider where the tweeter will actually be in order to accurately place the speaks ON THE CEILING to match the Dolby recommendations !!

It is your room and you can choose to put the overhead speakers anywhere you like but if you expect the best and most immersive experience, the document I forward will be very helpful.
post #7289 of 7589 Old 05-27-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Hearing excess bass when upmixing 2-ch with Auro (and also "Party" mode) is not unexpected.

Let's say you have a side sub carrying bass from 4 channels, 2 side surrounds and 2 heights. Let's assume that the signals in each channel are all the same level and coherent (all being derived from the L source). When 4 copies of a signal are summed, the output increases 12 dB. If the main speakers are also carrying the same signal, the acoustic sum will be somewhere between 6 and 9 dB. That means the bass will be 3 to 6 dB stronger in the upmixed presentation than existed in the source.

The less coherent the derived upmix signals, the less noticeable the bass buildup will be.

Making a "2-ch Auro" preset with the subwoofer levels tailored to taste is the right way to go.
Thanks, I have a bass reduced preset that handles it pretty well. In my HT I find most of my music listening is moving toward multi-channel BD, SCAD, etc, so this is becoming less of an issue. Auro 3D does not seem to add as much bass on those, and on some I actually prefer Neutral:X up mixing ,not sure why that is, I guess with a solid 5.1/7.1 bed channel starting point the upmixing leaves the sound stage intact.
Roger Dressler likes this.
post #7290 of 7589 Old 05-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Thank you! Sounds like a good plan. I'll try both pin outs.

Paul, per your request, I am posting some helpful info I learned from folks here, and from Trinnov's Jon Herron, regarding doing the measuring/setup/optimization of your new Trinnov SSP:

1. First, even the Altitude 32 now has the easy basic setup procedure that the Altitude 16 has had for a longer period of time. After having my Altitude 32 sit for like 5 months, as I was intimidated as I found mine had no easy setup procedure, I read here that there was beta firmware with this feature, and I educated my dealer re what I read and Trinnov ASAP downloaded the beta to me. I still read over and over the manual for like two weeks, and then end of last Feb I set it up! I initially manually set up stuff in basic fashion, including measurements, only to find out that everything I did was in the easy setup. HA! Of course this assumes you purchased the microphone from Trinnov.

2. Following are some products I use to do the setup:

Bubble Spirit Level, 66 x 10 mm circular:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samson MK-10 Microphone Boom Stand

ZRAMO Silver Spider Universal Microphone Shock Mount Holder

3. Do a measurement at each listening position (chair, couch). Place microphone with red light toward front center speaker at each listening position. Center microphone between where your ears would be in listening position, but you can place it 6 inches higher than the back of the chair/sofa as this helps avoid reflections (per Jon Herron). If you listen reclining recline the chair some so you place the microphone at the listening position. Get a large blanket/quilt and as you do the measurement for each position, first place the blanket/quilt over the area, again to avoid reflections (thank you Audioguy, confirmed by Joh Herron). Right before each optimization measurement, place cover on microphone, place bubble level on top, and make sure microphone is level, then take off microphone, and do the measurement/optimization. (Bubble level was discussed in this thread) (thanks to Audioguy and Jon Herron as I talked and emailed with both of them to get it right and it made me finally comfortable to setup this wonderful BEAST of a SSP!). Also, be sure to check your chairs/sofas to make sure they point straight ahead - if off a bit, the optimization and speaker positions detected during the measurements will show that (I found that out the hard way, after the fact, my front center recliner was off a tad thus the front speakers were off a bit).

If anyone has corrections, clarifications or additions to this please quote me and add. I'm always interested in learning and getting better at this! Especially since my theatre renovation/upgrade is a month or two away, then we will be doing this again, and once all is working properly, and I
have an opportunity to play and finalize any "tweaks" (heavens to Betsy) such as a few power cords on the amplifiers, then I'll schedule the wonderful marvelous top dog Adam Pelz to come out and do his magic! Patience is such a virtue!
Kishore and dinamigym like this.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-27-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page