post #7411 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Good news, Trinnovites*! Curt showed me the latest Beta, and it does allow copying/moving target curves between pre-sets.
I've been waiting for that feature for a LONG time....really looking forward to seeing this in practice.

Quote:
Looks like the official release is getting close.
Some things take time, but the features keep improving....

Quote:
* Trinnovians?
Trinnovists?
Or, since Curt and I are rabid espresso makers, we could be Trinnovistas?
I like Trinnovistas too. I'm also a fan of a good Italian espresso...although I do put a time limit on when I drink it to avoid being up until the early hours of the morning these days...

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Nice! What machine are you using? Curt's got an Alexandria with a couple of Mazzers and I use an R58v2 + Baratza Forte.
post #7413 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 09:58 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
I use the zoom buttom after shaping the curve....
"Zoom" can be applied at any time - it doesn't affect the curve, itself.

Quote:
How do u apply a target curve? So edit, amplitude only, click apply and compute then save to a preset?
Yep, that's exactly what you do. Make sure you've linked the appropriate channels before you create your new curve(s).

Edited to add: BTW, to change the Y axis scale in the Optimizer Graphs, use the + and - buttons lower right in your last photo under the "Y".
santodx5 likes this.

Last edited by RUR; 06-03-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7414 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Some things take time, but the features keep improving....

I hope it’s not suffering from feature (scope) creep.
I get it that they want to get it right before release but this release has taken far too long. There are also two important updates that they promised us this year. Dts:x pro and a little less important to me at least imax.

I think 14 months between releases is far too long. It’s time to Freeze -> Release, so they can work on bug fixes whilst gearing up to deliver the next major release which at this point is quite some way off.

There, done. Somebody had to say it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #7415 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4569 Post(s)
Liked: 3340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
I hope it’s not suffering from feature (scope) creep.
I get it that they want to get it right before release but this release has taken far too long. There are also two important updates that they promised us this year. Dts:x pro and a little less important to me at least imax.

I think 14 months between releases is far too long. It’s time to Freeze -> Release, so they can work on bug fixes whilst gearing up to deliver the next major release which at this point is quite some way off.

There, done. Somebody had to say it.
I hear your dissatisfction. It all depends on perspective and past experience. I am incredibly impressed that the improvements/fixes continue to come, regardless of the time between them. I was a Datasat owner previously, and the Trinnov update frequency surpasses it. And before that, I had other chip based processors. Would less time between updates be better? I guess, but I'm not the least bit dissatisfied. Trinnov at least, has a process where user input can be evaluated and eventually put into the system if it makes sense to do so. I'm not aware of any other audio processor company that listens like Trinnov (on the video side, Lumagen does listen to user input as well).
mikela, sdrucker, RUR and 1 others like this.
post #7416 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Trinnov Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I hear your dissatisfction. It all depends on perspective and past experience. I am incredibly impressed that the improvements/fixes continue to come, regardless of the time between them. I was a Datasat owner previously, and the Trinnov update frequency surpasses it. And before that, I had other chip based processors. Would less time between updates be better? I guess, but I'm not the least bit dissatisfied. Trinnov at least, has a process where user input can be evaluated and eventually put into the system if it makes sense to do so. I'm not aware of any other audio processor company that listens like Trinnov (on the video side, Lumagen does listen to user input as well).

Not dissatisfied at all. I don’t currently have any problems with my Altitude. Although I do think most would like to see more frequent releases.

Trinnov does a very good job at identifying and providing small patches to certain machines that not everyone is aware of but more people would benefit if they knew the patch was available. I certainly think that could be handled better with more frequent releases or patch rollouts.

My understanding is that the next major release will allow certain owners to apply the update themselves. Certainly looking forward to that since we will be less reliant on the mothership to perform our updates which in turn might in fact help Trinnov to provide the updates more frequently.

A7mad78 likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box

Last edited by kingwiggi; 06-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #7417 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Good news, Trinnovites*! Curt showed me the latest Beta, and it does allow copying/moving target curves between pre-sets.

A very welcome feature! It can't come soon enough IMO. That alone should save lots of time and tedious work. I have one of the "beta" rc versions, rc4, and would like to see as an official release soon. For me, it's worth a risk to try a "beta" but then I'm not going to a CI if a problem develops. Risk tolerance is variable

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 06-03-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #7418 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Can someone post their's Harman curve here? I will try it.

Thanks
Santo -

I see you are having some issues and maybe need some help. Feel free to give me a call and I will be sure to get you the help you may need.

Thanks
Craig Shumer
Theatermax LLC
kingwiggi and dinamigym like this.

Craig Shumer
President of Theatermax
post #7419 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Santo -

I see you are having some issues and maybe need some help. Feel free to give me a call and I will be sure to get you the help you may need.

Thanks
Craig Shumer
Theatermax LLC
I don't think Santo is in the US so could be a time-zone issue with contacting him!
sdrucker likes this.
post #7420 of 8066 Old 06-03-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Having now calibrated a Trinnov in 4 different spaces, the same target curve doesn't work in every room. Room treatment, speaker choice and user preference play a key role.

That said, I have been experimenting with all kinds of target curves since the Trinnov makes it so easy to change and compare. (In fact, I can't seem to stop!!). And most of the curves I like tend to have a lot in common, and do have some of the same characteristics to the curves you pointed to. My most recent attempts have been with a curve where the flat part in Ken's curve has a very slight downward slope. It sounds particularly nice for music.

What I am discovering is the audio mix can dictate which curve works better for which movie. Almost reminds of the days of analog turntables where adjusting VTA for each record was a deal for those who were particularly obsessive (and while I can be very obsessive, I never went that far).

The good news: Once I get the general shape of the target down, and while small adjustments may be audible, I still end up with slightly different versions of awesomeness !!

yeah i just installed a multiroom system for our house and it allows for EQ in each room. No question, the target curve in each room ended up being quite different to get thing sounding right.

Blazar!
post #7421 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't think Santo is in the US so could be a time-zone issue with contacting him!

Thank you I am not from USA. I'm in Asia.

My system will be dramatically change soon as I will have my center speaker and Prism converter.

I will post result here when they are ready. Right now I'm pretty happy with my 2.1
post #7422 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you I am not from USA. I'm in Asia.

My system will be dramatically change soon as I will have my center speaker and Prism converter.

I will post result here when they are ready. Right now I'm pretty happy with my 2.1
What is a "Prism converter"?
post #7423 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:

Looks like the official release is getting close.

* Trinnovians?
Trinnovists?
Or, since Curt and I are rabid espresso makers, we could be Trinnovistas?
Great news! Fingers crossed for a save and load feature to work in a similar way to the PEQ profiles!
post #7424 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Great news! Fingers crossed for a save and load feature to work in a similar way to the PEQ profiles!
The only thing I'm not sure about is if when you do a save, you are saving ALL of the targets for that preset (I hope not) OR just the target for that speaker (I hope so)
post #7425 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only thing I'm not sure about is if when you do a save, you are saving ALL of the targets for that preset (I hope not) OR just the target for that speaker (I hope so)
It really needs to be a load/save option on a per speaker target basis. The current 'linking' option is a waste of time the way it currently works, unless you're starting from scratch on a preset.

If for example you are creating a new preset, or adding speakers to an existing preset with targets in place for some/most speakers, the linking is no use at all as it only transmits changes to the newly linked speaker targets. Rather the linking should mirror the absolute values. I actually can't believe there is no ability to copy targets between speakers within the same preset.

if you can load/save per speaker target, that will be the ideal.
ss9001 and sdrucker like this.
post #7426 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I actually can't believe there is no ability to copy targets between speakers within the same preset.
I don't know if there is or is not.

Quote:
Agree
post #7427 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if there is or is not.
I've not seen it if there is? (Though It wouldn't be the first time I've missed something obvious)
post #7428 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
What is a "Prism converter"?

Prism ADA-X8, multi DAC converter.
post #7429 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
It really needs to be a load/save option on a per speaker target basis. The current 'linking' option is a waste of time the way it currently works, unless you're starting from scratch on a preset.

If for example you are creating a new preset, or adding speakers to an existing preset with targets in place for some/most speakers, the linking is no use at all as it only transmits changes to the newly linked speaker targets...
I experienced some frustration in linking speakers when I discovered that it links delta's not values. Drove me nuts when all my linked curves were going wonky & ended up calling my buddy audioguy Chuck who explained how it worked I thought it was going to copy the actual data points but nope. How I handled the issue was zeroing out all the other speakers in a group I wanted linked and then work on the 1st one in that group. I have to agree that the way it currently works is kind of kludge-y and not obvious. Once learned, it's not a problem but still could be improved for more efficient use.

So I too hope it works to save the actual data values. I may be getting online advice on how the new feature will work soon. However the new feature works, it's better to have it than not So keep the improvements coming...

As someone who was involved for 8+ years on a software project with IT creating a piece of software for our reps involving intensive calculations and creating proposal documents, I learned there's things that could always be better and things that doesn't work as users would like. When rolling it out, it became obvious that software & database designers (in which I played a key role) can't account for every unintended consequence or someone who tries to use it in a way it wasn't designed to work. Training meetings & manuals are only part of the answer. It takes actually using it with sufficient "frequency" to become proficient & learn the ropes & pitfalls.
markrubin likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 06-04-2019 at 06:50 AM.
post #7430 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:

If for example you are creating a new preset, or adding speakers to an existing preset with targets in place for some/most speakers, the linking is no use at all as it only transmits changes to the newly linked speaker targets. Rather the linking should mirror the absolute values. I actually can't believe there is no ability to copy targets between speakers within the same preset.

Hey Gareth,

Here's how it works:

1) Create target curve
2) Name TC
3) Save TC
4) Select a new channel or linked channels where you want to import the target curve
5) Select the TC from your newly created list of TC's
6) Load the TC to the channel(s) i.e. the selected channel alone, if unlinked, or the selected channel + all linked channels
7) Re-compute
8) Save the pre-set

In summary, you're creating a new folder of target curves by saving them under names you've chosen, which may then be used on any pre-set now or in the future - the TC's are not pre-set specific.

Hope that helps!
mikela and Wookii like this.

Last edited by RUR; 06-04-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Edited to add: Steps 7 & 8
post #7431 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Gareth,

Here's how it works:

1) Create target curve
2) Name TC
3) Save TC
4) Select a new channel or linked channels where you want to import the target curve
5) Select the TC from your newly created list of TC's
6) Load the TC to the channel(s) i.e. the selected channel alone, if unlinked, or the selected channel + all linked channels

Can't recall if you have to hit the calculate button.

In summary, you're creating a new folder of target curves by saving them under names you've chosen, which may then be used on any pre-set now or in the future - the TC's are not pre-set specific.

Hope that helps!
It certainly does help Ken, that’s superb news!

Edit: I don’t suppose Curt suggested when the FW might be released did he?

Last edited by Wookii; 06-04-2019 at 11:57 PM.
post #7432 of 8066 Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
It certainly does help Ken, that’s superb news!

Edit: I don’t support Curt suggested when the FW might be released did he?
Depends on any bugs found in this beta. Hopefully soon!

Note that I've edited my prior post to clarify.
post #7433 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 AM

Halo,

I played around with the speaker setup layout today. I want to have 9.1.6 Atmos setup.

How do you add middle overhead channel? I can only find 9.1.4 atmos layout.

Thanks
post #7434 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Quote:
Halo,

I played around with the speaker setup layout today.

How do you add middle overhead channel? I can only find 9.1.4 atmos layout.

Thanks
You can add middle height. If you mean 1 single VOG speaker, you would need to select Auro speaker layout.

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG

Last edited by adidino; 06-06-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #7435 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
You can add middle height. If you mean 1 single VOG speaker, you would need to select Auro speaker layout.
To add Top Middle speakers to an existing layout, go to the Speaker Configuration menu, select “Add Speaker”, and pick the Atmos (narrow) layout. You’ll have to add both Ltm and Rtm, taking care that you’ve selected the correct output channels to your amplifier for them.

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
post #7436 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Wondering if anyone has any opinions/thoughts. I have a bit of a surround speaker layout dilemma...

I'm currently running a 7.2.6 Atmos configuration. My side surrounds are the issue. I have two options:

A. Use the matching bookshelf to my front LCR and rear surrounds. However, location of the bookshelf for the side surrounds is a size issue. Just not enough room between the end seats and the wall. I'd have to locate them along the side walls but somehwhere between the front seats and the front left and right speakers.

B. Select a different brand of in-wall or on-wall speaker and locate them where Dolby recommends.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #7437 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Wondering if anyone has any opinions/thoughts. I have a bit of a surround speaker layout dilemma...

I'm currently running a 7.2.6 Atmos configuration. My side surrounds are the issue. I have two options:

A. Use the matching bookshelf to my front LCR and rear surrounds. However, location of the bookshelf for the side surrounds is a size issue. Just not enough room between the end seats and the wall. I'd have to locate them along the side walls but somehwhere between the front seats and the front left and right speakers.

B. Select a different brand of in-wall or on-wall speaker and locate them where Dolby recommends.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
There's tradeoffs. You'll probably have more placement flexibility for any adjustments to locations in Option A (i.e. adjusting exact location, possibly where a vertical placement is (elevation) based on your observed results. And you'll start with timbre-match.

However, Option B can give you much of the same flexibility if you're careful, and have aimable tweeters to fine-tune on-axis performance. It's also more aesthetic to place in/on-wall, and you can avoid some SBIR issues that you'd get from bookshelves placed into the room. On the other hand, you'll have to make sure that your speakers can reasonably support a target curve (e.g. without major boosts) that will make the sound more similar to your LCRs, and that might take some hands-on fine tuning above and beyond your first try and/or a curve you might define in the Configuration Wizard of the Altitude 16 that you have (coming to the 32 unless you have beta software).

I saw your signature. Does Magico have in wall or on-wall options?
dinamigym likes this.

post #7438 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Trinnov Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
There's tradeoffs. You'll probably have more placement flexibility for any adjustments to locations in Option A (i.e. adjusting exact location, possibly where a vertical placement is (elevation) based on your observed results. And you'll start with timbre-match.

However, Option B can give you much of the same flexibility if you're careful, and have aimable tweeters to fine-tune on-axis performance. It's also more aesthetic to place in/on-wall, and you can avoid some SBIR issues that you'd get from bookshelves placed into the room. On the other hand, you'll have to make sure that your speakers can reasonably support a target curve (e.g. without major boosts) that will make the sound more similar to your LCRs, and that might take some hands-on fine tuning above and beyond your first try and/or a curve you might define in the Configuration Wizard of the Altitude 16 that you have (coming to the 32 unless you have beta software).

I saw your signature. Does Magico have in wall or on-wall options?

I have Magicos A3s and purchased the new matching ACC center and A1 bookshelves for rears. They really have no in/on wall options available. I’d have to go with another manufacturer. I could go A1 sides but they are fairly large 45# each and placement would be limited to some angled position in front of the MLP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #7439 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post

A. Use the matching bookshelf to my front LCR and rear surrounds. However, location of the bookshelf for the side surrounds is a size issue. Just not enough room between the end seats and the wall.

Side surrounds can be placed slightly forward of the MLP and angled towards the MLP they do not have to be at 90 degrees to the MLP that might help with your narrow room.

If your room is length and width restricted then in-walls may be a better option.

dinamigym likes this.

post #7440 of 8066 Old 06-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Trinnov HQ sent me a message that my new Amplitude8M was under testing and scheduled to be shipped today. Really looking forward to extend from 9.2 to 9.2.9.
dinamigym and Papouche Le Mec like this.

HT: Trinnov Altitude32 (AL32-1632)/Amplitude8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 Network Player - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page