post #7471 of 9224 Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
The profiles for Altitude16 and 32 have been updated by Harmony (for Elite). I use the Harmony Elite with Altitude32. I can do everything I can do via the original Trinnov remote and more. The Altitude16 supports "standby" via some weird keypress (or hold in button; check your manual). There is no reason for this not to work with Harmony.

Not sure about the Harmony 1100, but check with Harmony or potentially Trinnov. Works fine with Harmony Elite
Thank you for your reply

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 9224 Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi all,

I just tried cheap 75ohm coaxial cable from my modified Oppo 205's audio only output (LPM, Femto clock) to Trinnov.

I was very surprised the SQ is better, the soundstage expands!! It is clearly superior than HDMI.

I used HDMI Audioquest Vodka which is not cheap!!

I wish there is an alternative to output atmos signal other than HDMI, multi AES outputs will be amazing!
post #7473 of 9224 Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Hey Gareth,

Here's how it works:

1) Create target curve
2) Name TC
3) Save TC
4) Select a new channel or linked channels where you want to import the target curve
5) Select the TC from your newly created list of TC's
6) Load the TC to the channel(s) i.e. the selected channel alone, if unlinked, or the selected channel + all linked channels
7) Re-compute
8) Save the pre-set

In summary, you're creating a new folder of target curves by saving them under names you've chosen, which may then be used on any pre-set now or in the future - the TC's are not pre-set specific.

Hope that helps!
Sorry..where in the software does it let you name and save target curves? I think I've checked every tab and menu but it's probably starring me in the face. I'm able to manipulate the curve in the tab but I see no where to name and save?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 11.24.38 AM.png
Views:	37
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2578822  

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 9224 Old 06-11-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
Hi all,

I just tried cheap 75ohm coaxial cable from my modified Oppo 205's audio only output (LPM, Femto clock) to Trinnov.

I was very surprised the SQ is better, the soundstage expands!! It is clearly superior than HDMI.

I wish there is an alternative to output atmos signal other than HDMI, multi AES outputs will be amazing!
For me this has always been the case for music, using over the years various Oppo or Theta Digital modified Oppo players. ALWAYS. And yes same for the Trinnov SSPs. This is why I have had over the years two separate music servers for ROON Core, one HDMI out for multi-channel via HDMI, and one USB out for two channel (using Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter), with two channel sounding appreciably better. But NOW thanks to my Altitude 32 being ROON Ready via ethernet I am selling both HDMI and USB servers as I don't need them anymore, I find that the Altitude 32 sonically sounds just as good using ROON Ready via ethernet, and moreover, now multi-channel and two channel hi resolution stuff sounds equally as good and as good as ever! Long live Trinnov! (This is not to put down how good Trinnov sounds over HDMI at all! Just on music coaxial or AES/EBU digital sounds better - and ROON Ready ethernet sounds as good as it gets!)

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #7475 of 9224 Old 06-11-2019, 10:29 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Sorry..where in the software does it let you name and save target curves? I think I've checked every tab and menu but it's probably starring me in the face. I'm able to manipulate the curve in the tab but I see no where to name and save?
It's a feature being added in the next software rev, so you'll have to wait a bit until it's released.
dinamigym likes this.
post #7476 of 9224 Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
It's a feature being added in the next software rev, so you'll have to wait a bit until it's released.
Well that explains it. Thought I was losing my mind! Thank you!
RUR likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #7477 of 9224 Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
There are many elements you can look into. If you're using the Optimization Wizard and/or default settings, for one thing you may be running a flat target curve or have too small a rolloff on the higher frequencies. With horns I could see that happening.

Things to consider are:

1) Optimizer - did you just do a single position measurement? What IIR/FIR settings did you use, and what octave resolution (and energy cycles) were in the room EQ?

2) Speakers - are L/R and center toed in for measurable, on-axis performance at MLP? If these are bookshelves, there's also the matter of vertical elevation about how tweeters are aimed toward the listener

3) Target curve - is it a default "flat" curve? That's definitely going to be unpleasant for most listeners. Try a Harman style curve with a gentle downward sloping curve above the mid-range frequencies (you'll find some differences about where this should be, as well as the roll-off for your speakers). This is both science and art

4) Bass - you might have SBIR issues that are creating phase cancellation and producing some of the unpleasantness for upper bass, which I could see impacting male vocals, and you may be overcorrecting (or having an effect masked by other frequencies getting corrected showing up). That's primarily a subject for acoustic treatment and speaker placement, as well as where MLP is. That involves tradeoffs, naturally.

5) Frequency limiter - you could look at whether you want to limit the correction to the bass frequencies (i.e. below Schroeder). Likewise, you might want to tame the boost if you're getting a more shrill sound. Use with caution

6) I did a little research and I see you had (or at least posted on a thread with) a Marantz 8802. That's Audyssey XT32 I believe. Were you listening with Dynamic EQ on? That's going to impact how you evaluate the sound relative to other room EQ methods (with boosted bass and also surrounds below reference, tailing off as you get closer to reference). And what target curve did you use there - your own or just default Audyssey "Reference" or "Flat"?

7) For ALL of this, you need to measure externally with an OmniMic or REW to see what the room issues are before tackling the Optimizer alone. Without that you're flying blind.

In my opinion this is where you don't want to go completely DIY on the Room EQ, no matter how convenient a Configuration Wizard or default settings might be. I'd seek pro assistance (preferably Home Acoustics Alliance trained or with similar inclinations about best practice standards for a room) or turn to your dealer for more advice about setup rather than just "live with this" for awhile.

And whatever you do, I'd save the current configuration to a preset, then run the Optimizer and save the data to a new preset, and A/B. You'll want to do this on familiar content ideally for any changes you make. That's where you should let your ears guide you.

I have found, even though I own marantz and not Trinnov that number 5) limiting the frequency that is “corrected” will make a huge difference. Even in my treated theater Audussey, if allowed to work its “magic” on frequencies above about 600 - 800 Hz, makes my normally super smooth Parasound A31 amp and Procella P8 speakers sound harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #7478 of 9224 Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Anybody knows the best way to combine the Altitude with the JBL M2 (for LCR)?

- I'd like to avoid extra D/A and A/D stages, if possible
- I'd like to have the freedom to use any power amp I want (probably ATI)

It is possible to come out of the Altitude digitally and lead the signal (for the LCR speakers) to a JBL SDEC EQ (or similar)? Or is the SDEC not capable to act as crossover?

I guess the Altitude is able to act as a crossover, but I need the right data to get the job done...

Video: Panasonic UB9000 - Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES - Paladin DCR - (Seymour) Screen Excellence 2.40:1 TAM2L
Audio Trinnov Altitude 32 - SVS PB-16 Ultra (x2)
post #7479 of 9224 Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
Anybody knows the best way to combine the Altitude with the JBL M2 (for LCR)?

- I'd like to avoid extra D/A and A/D stages, if possible
- I'd like to have the freedom to use any power amp I want (probably ATI)

It is possible to come out of the Altitude digitally and lead the signal (for the LCR speakers) to a JBL SDEC EQ (or similar)? Or is the SDEC not capable to act as crossover?

I guess the Altitude is able to act as a crossover, but I need the right data to get the job done...
If you don't mind using two channels on the altitude per M2, then having the Altitude operate the cross-over is going to be the cleanest set-up, and allow you to utilise any amps you choose. The cross over settings and Harmon EQ are readily available for the M2 (and 708i/705i) - I'm including them here for completeness, and for any other Altitude user that may want them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Here's the tuning from London Architect.

LSR708i Single wire

LSR708i Biwire. The HF delay is 0.073ms

And to prevent my inbox from getting slammed with requests since I know requests for these will follow.

LSR705i Single wire

LSR705i Biwire

M2

Holy Grail likes this.
post #7480 of 9224 Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
If you don't mind using two channels on the altitude per M2, then having the Altitude operate the cross-over is going to be the cleanest set-up, and allow you to utilise any amps you choose. The cross over settings and Harmon EQ are readily available for the M2 (and 708i/705i) - I'm including them here for completeness, and for any other Altitude user that may want them:
Big thanks!

Didn't realize a crossover filter was so complicated;-)

Are you sure your source provided the right data for the M2? Just want to make sure...

I have the 32ch Altitude version, so no prob to use 2 Altitude channels per M2.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!

Video: Panasonic UB9000 - Sony VPL-VW995ES/870ES - Paladin DCR - (Seymour) Screen Excellence 2.40:1 TAM2L
post #7481 of 9224 Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 2231
Quote:
Big thanks!

Didn't realize a crossover filter was so complicated;-)

Are you sure your source provided the right data for the M2? Just want to make sure...

I have the 32ch Altitude version, so no prob to use 2 Altitude channels per M2.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!
As far as I'm aware they're correct, notnyt pulled them straight from the London Architect software. The cross over itself is fairly straight forward, its simply:

High frequency drivers:
- a high pass filter at 782Hz (6dB Butterworth slope)
- -1.8dB level cut

Low frequency driver:
- a low pass filter at 782Hz (18dB Butterworth slope)
- -1.2dB level cut
- 0.271ms delay

You can then of course add the PEQ - though personally, if you intend to use the Trinnov Optimiser over the full frequency range to a defined target curve, I'd probably only add the two shelf filters, and the larger PEQ filters (i.e. those greater than +/-3dB) and use the rest of the filters as a guide for adding PEQ manually based on in-room measurements prior to running Optimiser.

The only thing you might want to double check is why the 18dB butterworth low pass filter seems to be double stacked on the LF driver - that's probably best queried on the M2 thread.

In addition I believe the Altitude has an automated system for determining an optimised crossover via measurements as part of its multi-way speaker set-up system. There might be some benefit in trying that also - it would certainly be interesting to see where that comes out by comparison, and if it produces a better result in your room than the pre-determined values.
adidino likes this.
post #7482 of 9224 Old 06-13-2019, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Isn't it easier to do REW measurments? No need to stick with anyone elses findings. Measure yourself with REW and you will find the perfect crossover.

HT: Trinnov A32 (AL32-1632)/AMP8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - Bose NC 700
post #7483 of 9224 Old 06-13-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Isn't it easier to do REW measurments? No need to stick with anyone elses findings. Measure yourself with REW and you will find the perfect crossover.
I'm not an experienced REW user, so I can't tell.

Not sure if it's that easy to find the perfect crossover settings by simply measuring stuff. It's a sort of reverse engineering, no?

post #7484 of 9224 Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Hi all,

You may already know this, for audio over HDMI the cables should be at least 2m long (also true for UHD video), any shorter may cause phase issues.
post #7485 of 9224 Old 06-13-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not an experienced REW user, so I can't tell.

Not sure if it's that easy to find the perfect crossover settings by simply measuring stuff. It's a sort of reverse engineering, no?
Crossover is actually one of the perfect things to measure with REW. You will see exactly what the effect of all your adjustments are.

Did this myself regarding crossover between subs and main speakers. Without REW measurements you are flying blind

HT: Trinnov A32 (AL32-1632)/AMP8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - Bose NC 700
post #7486 of 9224 Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 2585
Quote:
You can get something functional on your own, and you might get lucky, but if you want the speaker to be properly optimized, especially off axis and attenuating out of band peaks or similar non-obvious details, use the designed active crossover. Particularly with a speaker integrating a waveguide and large diameter woofer, it's very unlikely tinkering with REW in-room would result in something better than starting with the optimized speaker and then using Trinnov's room correction to adjust it as a whole element.

Interestingly I see the Trinnov won't directly allow you to enter the crossover as described above. If you want to include the 6 filters in the P4 block that apply to the combined result, you will have to copy those to both the high pass and low pass output, as there is no programmable PEQ on the input. If you aren't having Trinnov correct much of the upper range, you would definitely want those in the loop, and would be worthwhile even using full range correction.

The other option is to use the digital outputs direct to an amplifier with digital inputs and internal DSP to handle the crossover.

While the active speaker crossover function in the Altitude has many adjustments and can take a measurement, I would argue it is not well suited for "designing" the crossover in-room for most conventional speakers, while possibly a lower bass crossover below 500Hz might be straight forward enough where measurements and room correction will be plenty relevant, but even there you have to understand the on-off axis behavior of the speaker and how the crossover design choices impact that. In the vast majority of cases you want a solid starting point of PEQ, HP/LP, level, and delay settings from the speaker's designer.
appelz likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #7487 of 9224 Old 06-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
You may already know this, for audio over HDMI the cables should be at least 2m long (also true for UHD video), any shorter may cause phase issues.

My Audioquest 1M sounds better than my tributaries 2.5M, so in my case this is not correct.
post #7488 of 9224 Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
My Audioquest 1M sounds better than my tributaries 2.5M, so in my case this is not correct.
It is well established that HDMI cables less than 2M have reflection issues inducing jitter which affects sonics (heck, I'd say HDMI even "perfect" has this issue but not as much as "reflective" cables). Jim Peterson of Lumagen has been touting this 2m minimum HDMI cable length for years for this very reason.

If you are happy with it for audio I won't argue with you subjectively (although some will). No different than digital coaxial cables which do not measure 75 ohms yet that is the tech spec!
mikela and Lasalle like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #7489 of 9224 Old 06-14-2019, 03:33 AM

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your input.

Some questions/remarks:

What do you mean with "use the designed active crossover"? Are you referring to the crossover data from the manufacturer or to the actual crossover (hardware)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
"Interestingly I see the Trinnov won't directly allow you to enter the crossover as described above. If you want to include the 6 filters in the P4 block that apply to the combined result, you will have to copy those to both the high pass and low pass output, as there is no programmable PEQ on the input."
I could be wrong here, but I thought that it's rather straightforward to set a crossover frequency in the Trinnov and route the high and low to two separated outputs. You can also add separated EQ's (not sure about the limits here) to both outputs. Wouldn't that be enough to set-up a complete crossover section for the M2's?

Quote:
The other option is to use the digital outputs direct to an amplifier with digital inputs and internal DSP to handle the crossover.
I's like to avoid this option, as the number of amps that can do this is very limited (Crown?). IMHO such amps are noisy (fan cooled) and the quality might not be good enough to squeeze the best performance from the M2's.

Quote:
While the active speaker crossover function in the Altitude has many adjustments and can take a measurement, I would argue it is not well suited for "designing" the crossover in-room for most conventional speakers, while possibly a lower bass crossover below 500Hz might be straight forward enough where measurements and room correction will be plenty relevant, but even there you have to understand the on-off axis behavior of the speaker and how the crossover design choices impact that. In the vast majority of cases you want a solid starting point of PEQ, HP/LP, level, and delay settings from the speaker's designer.
Agreed, but as those for the M2 were kindly provided by Wookii, the Trinnov should do fine, I guess.

post #7490 of 9224 Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
It is well established that HDMI cables less than 2M have reflection issues inducing jitter which affects sonics (heck, I'd say HDMI even "perfect" has this issue but not as much as "reflective" cables).
Just out of curiosity, have you tried using the audio only HDMI output and settings on your BD player / Media server? I've had good results routing that directly to the Trinnov. I use a Lumagen for my switcher and for sources that don't have a separate audio out , i use Lumagen's audio HDMI out to the Trinnov. Then again I listen to alot of multi-channel iso files.
post #7491 of 9224 Old 06-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you tried using the audio only HDMI output and settings on your BD player / Media server? I've had good results routing that directly to the Trinnov. I use a Lumagen for my switcher and for sources that don't have a separate audio out , i use Lumagen's audio HDMI out to the Trinnov. Then again I listen to alot of multi-channel iso files.
Exactly what I've been doing for years with my Oppo, Theta, now Oppo UDP-205 blu ray players. And also now with my Kaleidescape Strato C 4k blu ray player. And for DirecTV, Apple TV 4k, TIVO Bolt OTA, my sources without a separate HDMI audio out, I use the Radiance Pro as an audio switcher. Great minds think alike!
Lasalle likes this.

post #7492 of 9224 Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Exactly what I've been doing for years with my Oppo, Theta, now Oppo UDP-205 blu ray players. And also now with my Kaleidescape Strato C 4k blu ray player. And for DirecTV, Apple TV 4k, TIVO Bolt OTA, my sources without a separate HDMI audio out, I use the Radiance Pro as an audio switcher. Great minds think alike!

Yes I always use audio only from 205 but the coax still sounds better.

I'm buying a coax cable now with 75ohm RCA connector, we will see.

Also I'm trying to get Audioquest HDMI diamond to compare.
post #7493 of 9224 Old 06-15-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Yes I always use audio only from 205 but the coax still sounds better.

I'm buying a coax cable now with 75ohm RCA connector, we will see.

Also I'm trying to get Audioquest HDMI diamond to compare.
Curious about your findings!

I had the same experience with coax vs HDMI. Coax just sounded better to me(Oppo -> Lyngdorf TDAI)

I'm in the process of builing my Atmos HT and using the Lyngdorf MP50. Still I'm hesitating if I should modify my Oppo 203
with the VanityHD digital board so I have digital 7.1 out and then use 4 "power"DACS(Lyngdorf TDAI). Sound must be amazing but biggest downside is you lose Dolby Atmos!! So desision is quality or quantity.
post #7494 of 9224 Old 06-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post

I had the same experience with coax vs HDMI. Coax just sounded better to me(Oppo -> Lyngdorf TDAI)

I'm in the process of builing my Atmos HT and using the Lyngdorf MP50. Still I'm hesitating if I should modify my Oppo 203
with the VanityHD digital board so I have digital 7.1 out and then use 4 "power"DACS(Lyngdorf TDAI). Sound must be amazing but biggest downside is you lose Dolby Atmos!! So desision is quality or quantity.
The Altitude uses source clock; most likely that is the main difference. Also there is a lot of info transmitted over the HDMI. Also the HDMI signal goes through the HDMI board, which might not be positive compared to direct SPDIF into the Altitude.

Same applies to Lyngdorf; regarding source clock. Could also be that the Oppo is not using a different clock for HDMI?

Edit:
And if you move to the MP50 territory - why not go for the real deal - Altitude16 is actually extremely cheap compared to what you get. Go for the "right stuff" at once is my suggestion. I'm a very happy owner of an Altitude32 - nothing in this world can get that device away from me

I'm also waiting for delivery on 9 new speakers and new amplifier (Amplitude8M) for atmos/dts:x setup. I will then have the long planned 9.2.9 finally.... Hopefully delivery next week.

Last edited by Berland; 06-15-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #7495 of 9224 Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Just finished a new round of PEQ for _ALL_ channels < 200Hz; and new calibrations; crossover and target curve.

Result: previous presets sounds like a "table radio" compared to now. It is night and day difference. Never heard the system play this good. Bass is close to perfect; voice from center channel MUCH MUCH better.

All changes done with help from REW measurements (both PEQ; setting crossover and adjusting target curves).
I will test out different advanced settings and do REW measurements to see the effect. Then continue with FIR EQ.
sdrucker and RUR like this.

post #7496 of 9224 Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:

I was going to order the VanityHD but they dont have for 205. Should be amazing. As least u can use it for 7.1 movies only

My Oppo is modified with LPM and femto clock at the moment.
post #7497 of 9224 Old 06-16-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I was going to order the VanityHD but they dont have for 205. Should be amazing. As least u can use it for 7.1 movies only

My Oppo is modified with LPM and femto clock at the moment.
The thing is, when you use the VanityHD board you bypass the DACS in your Oppo. When you have the 205 it would be a shame not to use those DACS.

Lets be honest, all the big blockbusters that come out on blu ray have Dolby Atmos so........not so many 7.1 only movies.
post #7498 of 9224 Old 06-16-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
The Altitude uses source clock; most likely that is the main difference. Also there is a lot of info transmitted over the HDMI. Also the HDMI signal goes through the HDMI board, which might not be positive compared to direct SPDIF into the Altitude.

Same applies to Lyngdorf; regarding source clock. Could also be that the Oppo is not using a different clock for HDMI?

Edit:
And if you move to the MP50 territory - why not go for the real deal - Altitude16 is actually extremely cheap compared to what you get. Go for the "right stuff" at once is my suggestion. I'm a very happy owner of an Altitude32 - nothing in this world can get that device away from me

I'm also waiting for delivery on 9 new speakers and new amplifier (Amplitude8M) for atmos/dts:x setup. I will then have the long planned 9.2.9 finally.... Hopefully delivery next week.
If you want to go ALL digital for Dolby Atmos there aren't a lot of choices: Altitude 32(not 16) or Datasat RS20i or Steinway Lyngdorf.

The Lyngdorf MP50 has an optional DCI AES/EBU input so could use a modified Oppo to use the DCI input but still only 7.1, upmixers won't work.

I actually see a lot of Alt.32 owners not using the full potential of the device by going all digital. I'm sure you get already wonderful results by using analoque connections but still.....
post #7499 of 9224 Old 06-16-2019, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you want to go ALL digital for Dolby Atmos there aren't a lot of choices: Altitude 32(not 16) or Datasat RS20i or Steinway Lyngdorf.

The Lyngdorf MP50 has an optional DCI AES/EBU input so could use a modified Oppo to use the DCI input but still only 7.1, upmixers won't work.

I actually see a lot of Alt.32 owners not using the full potential of the device by going all digital. I'm sure you get already wonderful results by using analoque connections but still.....
The Altitude 32 is capable of 16 digital outputs and 16 analog (no extensions), but you need get apply a beta patch if you need to use analog outputs in addition to the digital 16, the production OS will either support
16 digital, no analog or 8 digital, 24 analog.
post #7500 of 9224 Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
The thing is, when you use the VanityHD board you bypass the DACS in your Oppo. When you have the 205 it would be a shame not to use those DACS.

Lets be honest, all the big blockbusters that come out on blu ray have Dolby Atmos so........not so many 7.1 only movies.

I think VanityHD has option for AES outputs.

I dont use my fully modified Oppo's analog board, simply because I want to input digital into the trinnov. I use DSP after Trinnov as a crossover, and they can input AES signal and convert into analog. So in my workflow there is only 1 x DAC. It sounds better than throughTrinnov's analog outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page