Gravity - did you notice the "overhead flies" sequence? Wow - stunning sound engineering and a worthy test of our "ultra" systems! - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #1021 of 1026 Old 06-08-2017, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Hi Doctor, can't tell exactly from the pic the tweeter being used... You will be happy to know that as predicted I mothballed the GC Character, hope you can attend cedia to hear the IMMERSIONLAND exhibit. Your prodigal friend.
Hello Peter,

The drivers are all cone/dome made by Accuton from Germany, the woofer and mid drivers are ceramic, but the tweeter is diamond, made by a process called chemical vapor deposition from my own googling.

Accuton drivers are used by other companies as well, but Tidal clearly has the most "ethereal" result, with an equally ethereal price .

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1026 Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Other interesting products at LA Audio Show: McIntosh lo and behold introduced an all-out, all tube, *true* balanced phono stage. This is a statement product and brings tears to my eyes . http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...oductId=MP1100

The demo used Sonus Faber speakers, and of course room correction and equalizer function was by Room Perfect. Unlike the SAE/Theta room where Dirac was used seemingly to reduce bass modal peaks, in McIntosh's larger room the bass was boosted with Room Perfect (observation and reporting, not criticism). BTW, I did not know that Sonus Faber, from Italy of all places, has been for some time part of the McIntosh "group," whatever that means.

I like many things that McIntosh does and love the classic look and the incredibly pretty blue meters :-) of their components. If they somehow hire David Kerstetter from Datasat to design the next SSP, I would be sold. LOL - kidding.

Last edited by cannga; 06-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.
post #1023 of 1026 Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Hello Peter,

The drivers are all cone/dome made by Accuton from Germany, the woofer and mid drivers are ceramic, but the tweeter is diamond, made by a process called chemical vapor deposition from my own googling.

Accuton drivers are used by other companies as well, but Tidal clearly has the most "ethereal" result, with an equally ethereal price .
Oh yes I am familiar with the ceramic drivers, very expensive but i hear not too robust for HT. For some reason accuton is also tied with Mundorf, at least in kit offerings they common merchandise.

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1026 Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I should also mention that ultra expensive Accuton was by no means the only driver brand used in ultra high-end speakers; in fact I don't believe any of my top 3 American speakers, Rockford, Wilson, and Magico, employ Accuton (anyone pls correct as needed).
post #1025 of 1026 Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OT - As I wandered the LA Audio Show 2017, as expected I noticed it is devoid of any competitor to my beloved JTR 1400 (let alone the monstrous JTR 2400 or 4000 ULF), but this is not meant as criticism. This show is geared towards a certain audience - it is what it is . There is however one product worth mentioning, not because of its output and CEA numbers, but because its technology is interesting. Intesting "good," not interesting "bad," LOL.

Wilson-Benesch Torus Infrasonic Generator, at $9.5k including amp and crossover. The following is completely AFAIK so no flame pls :-), just correct me as needed. It has two voice coils and operates in a push pull manner, without the use of a spider. The drive is actively pulled back to position, as opposed to conventional driver where the spider does the function. The push pull action is said to mirror panel driver, for example my Magneplanar 3.5 ribbon.

Unfortunately it is a "silent" demo as subwoofer was not hooked up. Too bad because I had with me my own demo CD that would give me some idea of what it does. At any rate, I would have to admit, it would be so interesting to see CEA-2010 numbers for this subwoofer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://wilson-benesch.com/products/t...generator.html
The Torus places an 18” light-weight, super-stiff, multi-axial Carbon Fibre cone at the end of a phenomenally powerful push-pull motor. Unlike a common subwoofer that relies upon a high hysteresis suspension to reset the cone to zero, the cone position in the Torus is dictated at all times by electromagnetism. The result is low frequency sound with absolute precision and integration across the frequency range.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #1026 of 1026 Old 06-17-2017, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
I have been talking to quested recently about the wilson benesch fit finish assembly techniques which seem state of the art, Their website made reference to some sort of actuator but somehow i could not land on the product page, thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page