Indy Audio Labs - Acurus ACT-4 processor - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #61 of 143 Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
DTS:X in shipped units in 6-8 weeks. 7.4 or 9.2 and the last two can be L/R heights or additional tops - I need to clarify this last and I'll do that tomorrow. Appears to be "fixed" locations.
They'd like to do a few more speakers but they need to resolve some obstacles.1. Interesting approach with two DSPs per codec - Atmos/DTS:X.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A couple other notes:

Neural X is included in the initial release 6-8 weeks out
2. No, Atmos will not upmix DTS codecs and vice versa
3 sub outs, each EQ'd individually i.e. no summed EQ

Thank you. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun.

1. Could you explain this? As in, "typically/normally" each codec is done by one DSP? And if so why does Acurus need 2?
I still wonder who does this DTS:X board for Acurus and how they manage to get it out so quickly! The good news is this bodes well for other companies.

2. Temporary technical difficulty? Or in-your-face competition?

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 143 Old 10-26-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
A couple other notes:

Neural X is included in the initial release 6-8 weeks out

No, Atmos will not upmix DTS codecs and vice versa

3 sub outs, each EQ'd individually i.e. no summed EQ
Were you able to confirm if the EQ is all manual PEQ/shelving? Any details on the available EQ or related adjustments? The software interface should make it easy enough to copy the same EQ on multiple channels with different delays or levels as needed as I would think such linking or copying of filters would be very useful on the main channels as well.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #63 of 143 Old 10-26-2015, 12:12 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Were you able to confirm if the EQ is all manual PEQ/shelving? Any details on the available EQ or related adjustments? The software interface should make it easy enough to copy the same EQ on multiple channels with different delays or levels as needed as I would think such linking or copying of filters would be very useful on the main channels as well.
Mark, I was told there were IIRC five PEQ's for each channel. Dunno about copying channel to channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 143 Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Out of the vendors I spoke to James Loudspeaker had the most lock ups.

Klipsch said the only had to restart once for the three days.

I understand all units on the CEDIA floor were beta production.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #65 of 143 Old 10-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hi Mark

Five bands per channel but I haven't had a chance to go through the interface yet. The guys are only about three hours from you and I would be happy to make an intro. Would be useful to get some extra feedback on the interface as they can do some very cool things with that.
post #66 of 143 Old 11-04-2015, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More news.

Internal audio is 192/24.

HDMI is 2.0 but not 18gb. The design will allow for the HDMI board and firmware to field replaceable

Currently no plans for AURO but they claim to have ample DSP overhead. Something about AURO does not have a coded version for the DSP that was used. Again that is how I heard it so it can vary to what was said.

Tough to follow as you get older.

It was impressive were I listened. It appears one of the speaker companies was so impressed the are talking partnering in future shows and higher end installs. Sorry I can't reveal the speaker company at this time.
Billybobjimbob and HTsHT like this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #67 of 143 Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Any more updates or feedback from CEDIA on this unit?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #68 of 143 Old 04-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Well these things always take longer than I would like but after some last tweaks to the hardware, full production has now started on the ACT4 and this final HW landed in the UK this morning. Ironically I am on vacation and haven't had a chance to play with these yet!

There is one further SW update for early May but then we are there.

You can download the user manual here

I am not 100% sure but I think that ultimately this is still the first processor to ship with a finished version of DTS-X.

Neil Davidson - DT Screens
post #69 of 143 Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Look at what I have...

Now running with web control and all codecs enabled at last. Been a long wait but that is it now, this unit is really ready for prime time.

I will be having a side by side comparison with an rs20i in a dealers system soon but would be amazed if he doesn't switch. Less features but better performance at less than half the cost...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1464809309191.png
Views:	199
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1471921  
post #70 of 143 Old 07-20-2016, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This thing has been delayed endlessly.

And what sense does it make to compare it with an Datasat RS20i? The ACT-4 has no room correction, thats where the RS20i shines. Dont get me wrong, but at that price point (which has been doubled since anouncement) i see no real market for it.
post #71 of 143 Old 07-20-2016, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^

Price point has changed? To what?

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #72 of 143 Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
it was announced at around 4k...now its 8k+....

anyway..its "looks" nice..nothing more
post #73 of 143 Old 07-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

HI Chris,

I don't really understand the point of your argument but it does deliver an interesting opportunity to outline the very great relevance of this piece.

It is true that the ACT4 had more than a couple of hitches on the road to market. At first the unit was planned as a 7.1 piece with HDMI 1.3. They delayed the first time to get an up to date HDMI. Just as that started to settle, ATMOS was revealed to the market and Acurus decided again to wait before releasing the piece. Finally HDMI 2.0 came along to delay things even a little longer...then DTS-X! The unit on sale now is therefore quite a different beast, 7.3.4 output with the most up to date HDMI boards available.

Acurus is not a huge company and during this time the project lead engineer also died in an incredibly tragic accident. Just some background on the process so far...

Also FYI the RS20i has doubled in price since it was released as well.

The really critical thing though, and why this unit is so relevant, is how it actually performs right now and where it fits in to the market place.

A few years ago there were several companies offering higher end AV Processors - ADA, Bryston, Classe and so on. These covered numerous price points, form factors, designs, outputs..you get the picture. As technology has evolved though, these companies have been gradually squeezed out of the market place since it is just too hard to engineer these units for the relatively smaller volumes of the high end market.

Eventually we are left with the situation where we are now, the mass market AV Receivers with their "no amp but 2x cost" processor equivalent then basically nothing until you get to the LS10 then another few thousand where you meet the RS20i and Trinnov products. I personally believe that there are many people who would love something better than the Chinese made stuff offers without having to get into the $20k+ bracket. That is the obvious target that Acurus are aiming for.

If it was just a price matter then we could all be happy but of course it is much more than that. With these devices it is about the combination of features and performance that makes the package and I really think that the ACT4 nails it on both counts.

As already noted, the unit supports ATMOS and DTS-X (and can upmix from one to brand to the other), it has HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 with 8in and 2out, it has both XLR and RCA outputs numerous other inputs including a phono stage, analogue bypass and a detailed control suite.

On the control side it has the 7" touch screen on the front, IR (remote included!), serial and Ethernet. On the IP side, the unit has a built in webserver so no messing around with VNC or PC applications for setup - just crack open a browser and go. Setup is extremely easy and well laid out.

Performance will be subjective of course but I feel that I have as much experience as anyone here with the high end processors and I have not heard better for straight reproduction of music or soundtracks. I did a show in the UK recently and we had some of the best sound I have ever delivered at a show despite a relatively modest system cost.

The one thing that people throw out is that it has no room correction. Ignoring the fallacy that room correction always makes things better this also ignores what the unit can and soon will be able to do. The unit features a five band per channel EQ system that is smartly implemented including intelligent routing of an external source which makes it a breeze to plug in a system like REW and properly sweep each channel.

The next development for the team at Acurus will be the development of their own correction system - hardware wise the unit is ready so this is application development not product development. It would be easy to take Dirac and pay the fee and have a me too product but as always, the team don't want to just follow the herd. Much better for their company to develop their own IP which serves to differentiate them even more as a solid team of audiophile engineers.

It has been a long wait for the ACT4 but it is ready now. It offers audio performance that easily matches units at close to 3x the cost, largely equivalent functionality and the promise of further development on what is a modular hardware platform running SW developed in house. I think that is more than enough reason to be excited about this unit.
Franin and HTsHT like this.

Neil Davidson - DT Screens
post #74 of 143 Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post
Eventually we are left with the situation where we are now, the mass market AV Receivers with their "no amp but 2x cost" processor equivalent then basically nothing until you get to the LS10 then another few thousand where you meet the RS20i and Trinnov products.
Not really; there are the Marantz AV7702MkII, AV8802, and Yamaha CX-A5100 for respective MSRP's of 2200, 4000, and 3000.

They're all arguably quite good.

Noah
post #75 of 143 Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Austria View Post
it was announced at around 4k...now its 8k+....

anyway..its "looks" nice..nothing more
For sale Amazon 8499.00
post #76 of 143 Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Have there been any audio comments or other threads on this since July? Searches were unsuccessful. This seems to be in a unique price range comparable to McIntosh MX122 and that is the area where I would like to get a processor.
post #77 of 143 Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This is now a 7.3.6 processor via firmware update. But here in Europe price is same as the Datasat LS10 so....
post #78 of 143 Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apparently the Act 4 is not out yet. I don't see how a few amps in their line is gunna make heaps of sales (i'm sure the custom market is full of amps for custom integrators to sell). So good luck to them on that.
I will, however, wait to see on the processor. Maybe someone will get in on a review? ...and how it would compare to some budget offering, like what Emotiva is offering in the UmC-1?
post #79 of 143 Old 10-06-2016, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

It is out. Shipping from stock I believe and has been for most of this year.
post #80 of 143 Old 10-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaydenBen View Post
Apparently the Act 4 is not out yet. I don't see how a few amps in their line is gunna make heaps of sales (i'm sure the custom market is full of amps for custom integrators to sell). So good luck to them on that.
I will, however, wait to see on the processor. Maybe someone will get in on a review? ...and how it would compare to some budget offering, like what Emotiva is offering in the UmC-1?
Take a look at Amazon....
post #81 of 143 Old 10-12-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
Take a look at Amazon....
It is out it's been shipping for months. 8500 retail. Dolby Atmos DTS X 7 inch touch screen made in America 5 year warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #82 of 143 Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.combs View Post
It is out it's been shipping for months.
No reviews yet? Upgrade path for Stage One ;-) ?
post #83 of 143 Old 10-12-2016, 09:08 PM

ACT4 reviews coming soon. Next year Aragon Soundstage II prepro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #84 of 143 Old 10-23-2016, 12:31 PM

other processors

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Not really; there are the Marantz AV7702MkII, AV8802, and Yamaha CX-A5100 for respective MSRP's of 2200, 4000, and 3000.

They're all arguably quite good.
Not to mention Anthem M60
post #85 of 143 Old 10-24-2016, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csar153 View Post
Not to mention Anthem M60
Or the Audiocontrol Maestro M9
post #86 of 143 Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
With no room correction other than PEQ's, this is, to me, a bladeless knife without a handle. Room correction is mandatory. Give me a Marantz 7703 and Audyssey Pro and I will be way happier (fancy screen notwithstanding) and have lots of money left over to spend.
post #87 of 143 Old 10-25-2016, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Room correction is mandatory.
Not really. For many of us it is either not useful or does more harm than good.

OTOH, this unit is pretty pricey. IIRC, the only other unit without room correction at these lofty levels is the Bryston.
post #88 of 143 Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Not really. For many of us it is either not useful or does more harm than good.
Your situation is most unique. If done properly, my experience has demonstrated that it is effective far more than 98% of the time. Just as a point of reference, for 10 years, I was the Marketing Director for the original room correction system (SigTech by Cambridge Signal Technology) and of the many hundreds of rooms I calibrated, only 1 had zero improvement, and it was a room with 3 glass walls with no drapes to cover them. One of the complaints of some is that these room correction systems is ghat they should not correct past a certain point. Dirac, for example, allows those kinds of adjustments.

Where I might agree with you is for an ideally treated (passively) room, some judicious use of EQ for the subs would get you very close. But a system like Dirac that corrects frequency, phase and impulse is very effective a bringing a room/system to it's optimum level.

All of that said, at this price point and with no RC, this unit would not be on my list of components to recommend - nor would any other unit that does not include such an option (Bryston or Classe for example).

But that's just me.
post #89 of 143 Old 10-25-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If this offered atmos in 9.2.6 this would be a tempting piece, even without room correction. One can always purchase a minidsp 88a with dirac if room correction is necessary.
post #90 of 143 Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post
The next development for the team at Acurus will be the development of their own correction system - hardware wise the unit is ready so this is application development not product development. It would be easy to take Dirac and pay the fee and have a me too product but as always, the team don't want to just follow the herd. Much better for their company to develop their own IP which serves to differentiate them even more as a solid team of audiophile engineers.
Honestly, I debate the "business sense" of developing an in-house room correction system. Such a thing would need to start off from an extremely solid understanding of room acoustics and psycho-acoustics, which is a completely different skill set than electronics. IMO the only companies that have really figured out "full range" automated room correction are Harman, Trinnov and Dirac. There are a lot of also-rans (Roomperfect, ARC), and some ones that I would not use (Audyssey, most of the proprietary ones developed by the Japanese electronics companies).
jdlynch, sdrucker and RUR like this.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page