Indy Audio Labs - Acurus ACT-4 processor - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #121 of 143 Old 05-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Act

Also on the way is room correction. This is a very good unit, sound is tremendous. Very happy with the Act and with the help from acurus.
Boonyarat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 05-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 91
New ACT4-20
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACT 4 20 CH data sheet:P1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	701.2 KB
ID:	2404506   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACT 4 20 CH data sheet:P2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2404508   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACT 4 20-channel Upgrade.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	2404510  
post #123 of 143 Old 05-18-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
I would love to check one out...

NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K/60 HDR10 ATMOS-best streaming device for image and sound available today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 143 Old 05-21-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc828 View Post
Also on the way is room correction. This is a very good unit, sound is tremendous. Very happy with the Act and with the help from acurus.
What do they use for REQ? Just parametric filters or something more sophisticated (like Dirac)?
post #125 of 143 Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
What do they use for REQ? Just parametric filters or something more sophisticated (like Dirac)?
I used an ACT4 in our 7.2.4 demonstration system at AXPONA last month. Adjustments include channel specific PEQ along with global high and low shelf filter which have adjustments for transition frequency and cut/boost. As a manual EQ it's very flexible and the interface gives rather quick access to most settings.
Boonyarat likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #126 of 143 Old 05-22-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
I used an ACT4 in our 7.2.4 demonstration system at AXPONA last month. Adjustments include channel specific PEQ along with global high and low shelf filter which have adjustments for transition frequency and cut/boost. As a manual EQ it's very flexible and the interface gives rather quick access to most settings.
So basically, one can implement a basic version of the Harman "downward dipping" curve with the shelves and clean up any peaks with the PEQ if needed.

However, I suppose it can't clean up everything that, say, a Dirac could given it's mixed-phase correction? Though, I guess one could / should argue that room treatment (if possible) is the better way to correct those things?

P.S. you still have the unit, happy with it?
post #127 of 143 Old 12-17-2018, 05:37 PM

Just finish Upgrade my ACT4-16 to ACT4-20 with 9.5.6 configuration but true native 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2999 (1).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	2498056   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2498058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3419.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	991.3 KB
ID:	2498060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3009 (1).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2498064  
post #128 of 143 Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I’m currently looking hard at this processor. I was convinced that the Trinnov Altitude 16 is the unit for me and still may be with what appears to be the best room correction algorithm on the market. The Acurus would be cheaper than the Trinnov and they are local to me but I’ve not heard of anyone running one in a very high end reference quality theater.

My main concern is that they don’t have anything rivaling the room correction software that the Trinnov has. Does anyone have any input when comparing the units? I’m also running 9.x.6 so that limits me to either the Acurus or Trinnov.

I’d also welcome input as to the subjective sound of the two units. Most of the professionals rate the sound of the high end processors as: Theta > Datasat > Trinnov. But, since Theta or Datasat can’t do 9.x.6 they are out. Would love to hear comparisons of hardware between this unit and the Trinnov as well. Thanks.
post #129 of 143 Old 12-18-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonStealth View Post
I’m currently looking hard at this processor. I was convinced that the Trinnov Altitude 16 is the unit for me and still may be with what appears to be the best room correction algorithm on the market. The Acurus would be cheaper than the Trinnov and they are local to me but I’ve not heard of anyone running one in a very high end reference quality theater.

My main concern is that they don’t have anything rivaling the room correction software that the Trinnov has. Does anyone have any input when comparing the units? I’m also running 9.x.6 so that limits me to either the Acurus or Trinnov.

I’d also welcome input as to the subjective sound of the two units. Most of the professionals rate the sound of the high end processors as: Theta > Datasat > Trinnov. But, since Theta or Datasat can’t do 9.x.6 they are out. Would love to hear comparisons of hardware between this unit and the Trinnov as well. Thanks.
The ACT4 would make a lot of sense if you plan on primarily doing or having someone perform a manual EQ correction. The processor does work very well, but system EQ is entirely a manual matter, so dependent on who sets it up. Another option for 9.x.6 would be the new Bryston & Storm processors which include Dirac. Of course if you can weather the clunky interface and in-the-field bug fixing, the new Emotiva RMC-1 will eventually offer similar to the Bryston/Storm processors with Dirac coming soon and eventually 16 ch + 4 subwoofer channels for a lot less money.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #130 of 143 Old 12-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:

If you only limit to native 9.1.6 then the new ACT4-20 is a good choice as it even offered 9.5.6 speakers layout!! Concerning the room correction software , if you are able to use external software like REW or others then the result on this point will be no more issue . (In the very near future ACURUS will come with their own room correction). As we all know even pre-processor come with room correction but we still have to do some manually to get the best sound. The other thing to concern even Trinnov come with room correction inside unit but not user friendly and most of users have to asking for pro calibrator. Finally ,the new ACT4-20 with new boards inside and new Firmware version 2.1 perform very very good immersive sound , I thought you can better try to listening at any dealers showroom near you first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASPEQT data sheet-p1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	2498422  
post #131 of 143 Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
The ACT4 would make a lot of sense if you plan on primarily doing or having someone perform a manual EQ correction. The processor does work very well, but system EQ is entirely a manual matter, so dependent on who sets it up. Another option for 9.x.6 would be the new Bryston & Storm processors which include Dirac. Of course if you can weather the clunky interface and in-the-field bug fixing, the new Emotiva RMC-1 will eventually offer similar to the Bryston/Storm processors with Dirac coming soon and eventually 16 ch + 4 subwoofer channels for a lot less money.
Mark, thanks for the input. So, is it fair to say that with a really good acoustic engineer that manual adjustments (using the Acurus) can achieve 100% of the results of the high end room correction software packages (Trinnov) to include peak/nulls, decay, time, phase, seat to seat variation results?
post #132 of 143 Old 12-19-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mark, thanks for the input. So, is it fair to say that with a really good acoustic engineer that manual adjustments (using the Acurus) can achieve 100% of the results of the high end room correction software packages (Trinnov) to include peak/nulls, decay, time, phase, seat to seat variation results?
If you are only using the EQ in the unit, it might be very difficult to match what you can get from the more advanced options on the market, but you can get very close. Most calibrators wouldn't have the patience, interest, and client time budget to go through and plug the measurement system directly into the amplifiers for any channels beyond 7.1 for a preferred measurement. I believe the preamp does allow you to generate pink noise per channel at least allowing simple measurement with an RTA, but you cannot easily route a computer generated test signal to any of the channels beyond 7.1 without a lot of temporary plugging or round-about connections/routing. The ability to measure and allow consolidated adjustment and matching of so many channels is the biggest benefit of the various room correction systems. Some are willing to put in the effort, but that's an exception, not the norm.
appelz and sdrucker like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #133 of 143 Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Most calibrators wouldn't have the patience, interest, and client time budget to go through and plug the measurement system directly into the amplifiers for any channels beyond 7.1 for a preferred measurement. I believe the preamp does allow you to generate pink noise per channel at least allowing simple measurement with an RTA, but you cannot easily route a computer generated test signal to any of the channels beyond 7.1 without a lot of temporary plugging or round-about connections/routing. The ability to measure and allow consolidated adjustment and matching of so many channels is the biggest benefit of the various room correction systems. Some are willing to put in the effort, but that's an exception, not the norm.
You literally have a button on the speaker setup page marked EXT that specifically routes your externally generated test signal to the output channel being analysed. Any post processing or EQ on that channel is applied to this ext signal so things like delay etc can all be set quickly and easily.

On top of that the ASPEQT system is only weeks from release providing simultaneous four location measurement to accurately and automatically do the setup. The way ASPEQT works is super cool and typical of Acurus that they take the time to what they think is best rather than just doing what everyone else is doing.

The ACT-4 has an outstanding clean but not at all fatiguing sound. In the US it is crazy good value. Rest of world the price difference to others is much less but I believe that the ease of setup, reliable operation and great sound still make worthy of any system.

Also depending on channel count you have the new Muse which sounds identical but is half the size.

Neil Davidson - DT Screens
post #134 of 143 Old 12-26-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me how is the SQ without room correction compare to Emotiva RMC-1 or Marantz 8805?

I have never heard about Acurus before, when reading in RMC-1 forum, I come across it.

Thanks
post #135 of 143 Old 12-28-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santodx5 View Post
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me how is the SQ without room correction compare to Emotiva RMC-1 or Marantz 8805?

I have never heard about Acurus before, when reading in RMC-1 forum, I come across it.

Thanks
The new ACURUS ACT4-20 SQ is very good even without room correction at this moment . I believed the ACT4-20 SQ is in higher level compare to RMC-1 and Marantz 8805 for sure but you had better find some dealer near you to listening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3107.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2501748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3120.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2501750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3121.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2501752  
post #136 of 143 Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Another option is the MUSE.

Same insides but less I/O and less channels.
Boonyarat likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #137 of 143 Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I finally have my Act4 all set up and baby, it's humming! I had the NAD M17 v.2 and it was a very nice unit with a particularly nice remote and even particularly nice packaging and accessories, so I thought I was at the peak of performance.........until my friend brought over the Act 4 and we did a head to head comparison. It was game over for the NAD and sold on Audiogon in the next few days that followed. The Act 4 just sounds so good! Sure, it just doesn't have the features of a Yamaha surround receiver, but holy crap the sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2567734  
Marc Alexander and Boonyarat like this.
post #138 of 143 Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 PM

Both ACURUS MUSE-16 ( 16 Channels ) and ACT4-20 ( 20 Channels ) are perform sound so good. They are made in USA , 5 years warranty , great value price/performance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4916.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	2567820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2567822  
post #139 of 143 Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyarat View Post
Both ACURUS MUSE-16 ( 16 Channels ) and ACT4-20 ( 20 Channels ) are perform sound so good. They are made in USA , 5 years warranty , great value price/performance
The MUSE sounds quite promising. Any word on if they have ASPEQT working yet or any published details of what exactly it is?

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #140 of 143 Old 05-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
The MUSE sounds quite promising. Any word on if they have ASPEQT working yet or any published details of what exactly it is?
ASPEQT (Automatic Speaker Parameter and EQ Tool) will be delay to Q2 this year
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASPEQT data sheet.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	798.7 KB
ID:	2569446  
post #141 of 143 Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 533
It is Q2

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #142 of 143 Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5659 Post(s)
Liked: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonyarat View Post
ASPEQT (Automatic Speaker Parameter and EQ Tool) will be delay to Q2 this year
Any update on ASPEQT? Will it be demoed at CEDIA?
post #143 of 143 Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Price increase for ACT4-20, $11,999 effective 1/1/20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)