Wisdom Audio like form factor alternatives? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By trans_lux

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Wisdom Audio like form factor alternatives?

Anyone know of a Wisdom like form factor i.e. line source, tall narrow and shallow that has similar or better performance?
L75 is what I'm looking for.
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/products_l75.php

Steinway comes to mind, don't think they make anything like the Wisdom L75
I'm familiar with BG but IMHO are no in the same league.

appreciate any thoughts, comments etc.

TL

surface mount would be ideal
EmmaDarknet likes this.

Last edited by trans_lux; 03-08-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 750
My suggestion? Build a false wall and get yourself a lot more options as far as putting speakers in there .
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
My suggestion? Build a false wall and get yourself a lot more options as far as putting speakers in there .
Amir
This is for our great room that's the outside wall is all glass with the exception of some narrow support columns.
The column is roughly 11" wide something like an L75i would fit perfectly.
I've found a couple pro-audio speakers that would fit.
How I would ever hear them is the challenge.

http://www.fohhn.com/index.php?id=84...15f9dfb4f27dc2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
Amir
This is for our great room that's the outside wall is all glass with the exception of some narrow support columns.

http://www.fohhn.com/index.php?id=84...15f9dfb4f27dc2
Fohn is used by Mercedes in their showrooms which are not designed for high fidelity but dsp enhanced pa sound. I would stick to wisdom, perhaps try the Insight series which has been well received...

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 03-11-2015 at 10:29 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Amir
Ah, I see. Unfortunately if you are going with the Wisdom, you must, must listen to them. They are not going to have uniform response that pleases everyone on all content.

If you do go with them, here are my two tips:

1. For any speaker to act as a line array as advertised, it needs to be the full height of the room. Anything less is not an array, unless it is a CBT design which the wisdoms are not. This makes auditioning even harder because the rooms better be similar in height for the effect to work.

2. The integration distance is quite long with these arrays. The taller they are, the farther you need to sit back to get around lobing (interference between the drivers). We had the Wisdom L75 in our showroom for a while and at distances that we sat, this was a big problem. Movement of your head forward and back a foot and you would hear very different sound. Your head would land in cancellation or addition of the drivers and with it, get very different frequency response. Unfortunately due to choice of drivers, this happens in frequencies that are pretty audible.

So go with them if the look and size they take is paramount.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Anyone know of a Wisdom like form factor i.e. line source, tall narrow and shallow that has similar or better performance?
L75 is what I'm looking for.
http://www.wisdomaudio.com/products_l75.php

Steinway comes to mind, don't think they make anything like the Wisdom L75
I'm familiar with BG but IMHO are no in the same league.

appreciate any thoughts, comments etc.

TL

surface mount would be ideal
It's possible to due a fairly narrow 2-way array with smaller woofers and ribbon or dome tweeters.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #7 of 10 Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Ah, I see. Unfortunately if you are going with the Wisdom, you must, must listen to them. They are not going to have uniform response that pleases everyone on all content.

1. For any speaker to act as a line array as advertised, it needs to be the full height of the room. Anything less is not an array, unless it is a CBT design which the wisdoms are not. This makes auditioning even harder because the rooms better be similar in height for the effect to work.

2. The integration distance is quite long with these arrays. The taller they are, the farther you need to sit back to get around lobing (interference between the drivers). We had the Wisdom L75 in our showroom for a while and at distances that we sat, this was a big problem. Movement of your head forward and back a foot and you would hear very different sound. Your head would land in cancellation or addition of the drivers and with it, get very different frequency response. Unfortunately due to choice of drivers, this happens in frequencies that are pretty audible.

While I agree that the L75 will have some issues a straight array can work very well even if it's not the full height of the room. You can optimize a DSP crossover at the listening distance and apply amplitude shading to the array for more uniform response. The L75 is really more of a hybrid design because they are combining a point source (woofer section) with the longer planar drivers which behave more like a line source. While the speaker looks nice and seems to be a good solution for a narrow space in reality it has some significant design compromises.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
there is a recent design from Danley called the SBH series. check out the model SBH -20LF. I have seen them on display on youtube. They are a column speaker that looks pretty cool.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys for the feedback, been traveling around the universe and am getting back to this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Fohn is used by Mercedes in their showrooms which are not designed for high fidelity but dsp enhanced pa sound. I would stick to wisdom, perhaps try the Insight series which has been well received...
I figured as much, I have heard the Insights and thought they were excellent. I think they were the 6i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
there is a recent design from Danley called the SBH series. check out the model SBH -20LF. I have seen them on display on youtube. They are a column speaker that looks pretty cool.
Interesting, again much like Fohn I know Danley is known for high SPL sound reinforcement.
Might make for and interesting theater set-up. But at 99 dBSPL at 10M @ 28.3V I don't think they would play loud enough
“Skinny Big Horn” SBH-10 has the directivity of a 25-foot-long horn, yet it is only nine inches deep,”

post #10 of 10 Old 05-27-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi,

I am considering buying the L75s, but I have no where to audition them, and my room is rather small. I would really greatly appreciate your advice. It's for a 4.1 surround system. (Not planning to use a center channel because as you'll see, I sit equidistant between the front speakers).

On your first point, my room ceiling height is 80" along the front wall, so that's about the height of the L75s. It then becomes 92" once you clear the bulkhead.

Your second point is potentially concerning -
My room is 136" wide x 152" deep. I sit 127" away from the front wall.
Placing the L75s in the corners, does give almost perfect spacing to my seating position.
But I have no idea what distance is bad for these speakers.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page