SONY VPL-VW1200ES 4K SXRD Laser projector with 8K simulation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kraine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: earth -alpha quadrant - france
Posts: 1,910
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 448
SONY VPL-VW1200ES 4K SXRD Laser projector with 8K simulation

Sorry Joerod some of this informations are false but some of them good, so I rather prefer to wait the official confirmation from Sony.
DavidHir and joerod like this.

Last edited by kraine; 08-06-2015 at 02:54 PM.
kraine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,773
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
As we announced a few days ago the VPL-HW65ES, VPL-VW320ES and VPL-HW55 VW520ES to replace, VW300 and VW500, Sony also has in its cartons a very high-end successor to its flagship the projector VPL VW1100ES, this is a brand new model with light source laser 4K resolution and especially the big surprise ..... a 8K simulation !

The SONY VPL-VW1200 or VPL-VW1200ES will once again dominate the 4K home video projection home.

If the price is not yet determined it should be positioned between 35,000 and 40,000€, the price of innovation and technological domination.

Sources :

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...simulation-8k/

I'm looking forward to seeing the full production unit at Cedia. 8K simulation - interesting !
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Another shifting LCoS projector. JVC has had an 8 K version since 2012. Both Sony and JVC have had 8K panels in the noughties.
donaldk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 23,744
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Very excited! It's LASER time!!!

4K HDR10- ignore the “rules” and trust your eyes!
joerod is offline  
post #5 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kraine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: earth -alpha quadrant - france
Posts: 1,910
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Joerod it's laser time yes but we have to wait a little more to have all the officials specifications.
joerod likes this.
kraine is offline  
post #6 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 21,509
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Woah....

Sony SXRD
Native 4k
Laser
8k shifting


Scott Simonian is offline  
post #7 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I wonder if this is a consumer version of the B2B GTZ270 / 280 Sony showed recently that is said to be due out 1Q 2016 for 270 and 2Q for the 280 (but actually expected earlier for the 270, probably 4Q this year according to a Sony Rep.). No mention of 8K with these two models, but that could likely be easily modded. I'm considering the 270 for another home, has 5000 lum. laser, HDR, and what they are referring to as "simulated DCI" rec2020, and when I asked them about this "simulated" I was told it was a bad choice of words, but the color gets to about 90% DCI.
Billybobjimbob and CINERAMAX like this.
JlgLaw is offline  
post #8 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
i don't even want to know what this is going to cost. very impressed though!!!
Naylorman32 is online now  
post #9 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Peter mentioned 50K+ for the 270 and 80K+ for the 280. Wasn't the difference output and the 280 being for simulation,with higher frame-rate, allowing for lower framerate with shift instead?
donaldk is offline  
post #10 of 94 Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 PM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
I wonder if this is a consumer version of the B2B GTZ270 / 280 Sony showed recently that is said to be due out 1Q 2016 for 270 and 2Q for the 280 (but actually expected earlier for the 270, probably 4Q this year according to a Sony Rep.). No mention of 8K with these two models, but that could likely be easily modded. I'm considering the 270 for another home, has 5000 lum. laser, HDR, and what they are referring to as "simulated DCI" rec2020, and when I asked them about this "simulated" I was told it was a bad choice of words, but the color gets to about 90% DCI.
Jim:

I believe the 270 hits DCI(P3) color space no problem, its REC2020 color space that is simulated and 90%
LJG is online now  
post #11 of 94 Old 08-07-2015, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mhafner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,923
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I want dual modulation!
mhafner is offline  
post #12 of 94 Old 08-07-2015, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Peter mentioned 50K+ for the 270 and 80K+ for the 280. Wasn't the difference output and the 280 being for simulation,with higher frame-rate, allowing for lower framerate with shift instead?

Peter would know, he's involved everyday, all day! I was told output (lumens) was the same, but yes, the 280 is 120z versus 60 on the 270, and the 280 drops HDR (according to Sony), and a few other differences. The guy I spoke with indicated the 270 could easily integrate with HT, but that stated use was intentionally left out of the marketing description because of the B2B chain connected with these units. It might also be because Sony anticipates a different model for HT (1200??), but he had no specific info on an HT version.



Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #13 of 94 Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Jim:

I believe the 270 hits DCI(P3) color space no problem, its REC2020 color space that is simulated and 90%


Yes, I misstated that in my post, thanks for correcting.




JIm
JlgLaw is offline  
post #14 of 94 Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
W.Mayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Jim:

I believe the 270 hits DCI(P3) color space no problem, its REC2020 color space that is simulated and 90%

yes right not 100% rec 2020 but more color than DCI.
no film in the next 2 years that will come on 4k BD will have full rec.2020 as today not any film is out in cinemas that had full rec 2020.
there is not any pr. that can display today rec. 2020.
the difference between rec 709 and DCI is huge so we will see a big improvement.


i not like the idea to do 8k from a nativ 4k it will only add problems.
no one see Pixels from a 4k LCOS so why.
i doubt it anyway.
W.Mayer is offline  
post #15 of 94 Old 08-07-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Maybe they can also improve the native contrast especially at this price point.
lovingdvd likes this.
DavidHir is offline  
post #16 of 94 Old 08-07-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Maybe they can also improve the native contrast especially at this price point.

We don't even know what it is, at this point it has not been published, and when I asked the answer I got was "well these are prototype units that have not been measured. Measurements will be published once they are in production." Right....





Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #17 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Peter mentioned 50K+ for the 270 and 80K+ for the 280. Wasn't the difference output and the 280 being for simulation,with higher frame-rate, allowing for lower framerate with shift instead?
I was having a very good morning until I saw this....
TMcG is offline  
post #18 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
In the near term, you can probably expect Laser 4K from any company to hit those numbers (probably at a minimum). If Peter's numbers are correct (wouldn't bet against his info), those are actually much more reasonable than pricing from current Laser 4K providers......but performance is a separate consideration.






Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #19 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
How does light output of the 270/280 compare to projectors like my own Lumis/HOST (rated at 3000 lumens)?

What is the physical size, dimensions of these?

Cool stuff!

EDIT: See dimensions (W X H X D) are 21.6" X 9 X 29.5
Lens selections seem limited (2) - a short throw lens and a regualr throw ratio of 1.27 to 2.73 (I'm 2.6)
88lbs (minus lens - I see there is a 3D glass add on lens).
I guess no need for an anamorphic lens any more.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.

Last edited by thebland; 08-08-2015 at 07:24 AM.
thebland is offline  
post #20 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
How does light output of the 270/280 compare to projectors like my own Lumis/HOST (rated at 3000 lumens)?

What is the physical size, dimensions of these?

Cool stuff!

Both models are spec'd at 5000 lumens, and can be reduced if desired. The dimensions are the same for both (WxHxD) 21.6" x 9" x 29.5". Weighs 88.2 pounds without the lens. 35db operating noise, uses 1.2kw power, standard electric. Obviously SXRD.




Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #21 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Sorry Jeff, you edited while I was posting, and I see you found the link. I like the specs, but have not seen the image, and Laser is my next move, just trying to decided which one given the specs and pricing (value).



Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #22 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
Both models are spec'd at 5000 lumens, and can be reduced if desired. The dimensions are the same for both (WxHxD) 21.6" x 9" x 29.5". Weighs 88.2 pounds without the lens. 35db operating noise, uses 1.2kw power, standard electric. Obviously SXRD.




Jim
Thanks Jim.

At CEDIA this year? Sounds like an interesting piece.

Sounds like a nice replacement for my LUMIS.

1.2kW power - seems high? High heat output?

Anyone seen one in action?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is offline  
post #23 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
If the spec's are confirmed on release, I'll be picking one up to play with here. It is being reported, but not confirmed, that Sony is producing a 1200ES consumer 4K Laser to replace the 1100ES (or perhaps be a separate offering), so if true, that might be an option, especially if it turns out to be the 270 rebadged as the consumer version. I'm still trying to confirm the 1200ES is real, so far the first two Sony contacts had never heard of it.

Jeff, if I get one (270) to play with, and it looks acceptable, I'll send it up to you to evaluate in your system.





Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #24 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 26,284
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
If the spec's are confirmed on release, I'll be picking one up to play with here. It is being reported, but not confirmed, that Sony is producing a 1200ES consumer 4K Laser to replace the 1100ES (or perhaps be a separate offering), so if true, that might be an option, especially if it turns out to be the 270 rebadged as the consumer version. I'm still trying to confirm the 1200ES is real, so far the first two Sony contacts had never heard of it.

Jeff, if I get one (270) to play with, and it looks acceptable, I'll send it up to you to evaluate in your system.





Jim
Wow! Thanks, Jim... That is an offer I cannot refuse . When will these be available to demo? CEDIA? Later?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
thebland is offline  
post #25 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Wow! Thanks, Jim... That is an offer I cannot refuse . When will these be available to demo? CEDIA? Later?

If the guy I spoke with is correct, the earliest would be mid-late-October (the marketing docs indicate 1Q 2016). We'll see. I doubt we'll see these at CEDIA given they are tagged as B2B, and were just shown at Infocomm. Just to be clear, I don't have any special knowledge or contacts, I'm just following the crumbs and picking up info along the way. I did already tell my Sony Rep I'll take one immediately upon release.

I'll keep you informed.


Jim
thebland and joerod like this.
JlgLaw is offline  
post #26 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
W.Mayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
i plan to order soon the Sony 270 Laser 4K LCOS.


all what i know about this pr. is nice so it was an perfect match for all 2D source material and it will replace my Sony VW1100 that i still use.
even with the ISCO 1.25 anamorhic lens i have with a 100% new lamp only almost 10 Center ftl.
200 hour later its going down to 8ftl and this is to low for me so i replace my lamp often.


for all 3D i still use my 2 Barco B32 even if its hard to live with only 1700:1 cr.but to see
3D at 30FTL at my 7 meter screen i have no other option at least so far......


about the 280 model its a very specially pr. for the simulations market with "2x 60P at native 4K in 3D" that the 270 not can do.
it will not have the Inputs we need to playback the upcoming 4K BD the 270 will have it.


my dealer promise if Sony have not any delay i will get my 270 till Chrismas.
W.Mayer is offline  
post #27 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post
yes right not 100% rec 2020 but more color than DCI.
no film in the next 2 years that will come on 4k BD will have full rec.2020 as today not any film is out in cinemas that had full rec 2020.
there is not any pr. that can display today rec. 2020.
the difference between rec 709 and DCI is huge so we will see a big improvement.


i not like the idea to do 8k from a nativ 4k it will only add problems.
no one see Pixels from a 4k LCOS so why.
i doubt it anyway.
Hi Wolfgang have you made the jump to LASER? You were looking into this around this time last year, but was waiting for the first full production units to judge on wether it would be advantageous or not to switch.

Edit: above post was posted when I was typing my post,so answer is already included in your second post.

Last edited by donaldk; 08-08-2015 at 02:08 PM.
donaldk is offline  
post #28 of 94 Old 08-08-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Thanks Jim.

At CEDIA this year? Sounds like an interesting piece.

Sounds like a nice replacement for my LUMIS.

1.2kW power - seems high? High heat output?

Anyone seen one in action?
he Youtube video looked poor, very visible blendzone, hard to judge wether uneven illumination was the projectors or the ambient light. Peter was underwelmed at Infocomm.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...projector.html

http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-deli...ormat-viewing/
donaldk is offline  
post #29 of 94 Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
W.Mayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Hi Wolfgang have you made the jump to LASER? You were looking into this around this time last year, but was waiting for the first full production units to judge on wether it would be advantageous or not to switch.

Edit: above post was posted when I was typing my post,so answer is already included in your second post.

no problem.
I will test anyway all pr. bevor i buy it.
as i know that the best despeckle laser dlp from Barco still show a very little speckle (most will not complain but sensitive people that hate speckle can see it in some 100% white parts of the picture) i think its a good idea to come with phoshor laser as speckle should be not any problem when light output is not the main target.


the Dolby Vision Laser is also not speckle free.
some sensitive people can see it even if the put 50 vibrators on the screen but the cr. and other things are outstanding good.
you are lucky as you are close to such a cinema but i had hope such a Dolby Cinema will come in my area soon.


btw. are you can see speckle with the Dolby Laser Pr. System?
i was not at AVS for a very long time so i not read posts since about 2 years so i am not up to date.
W.Mayer is offline  
post #30 of 94 Old 08-09-2015, 06:53 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Welcome back Wolfgang
LJG is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off