Theta Casablanca Owners' Thread: Setup Help and Wish List :-) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Theta Casablanca Owners' Thread: Setup Help and Wish List :-)

For owners of Casablanca: Starting this thread to store important information about setting up and using the Casablanca, before I forget what I've learned (old brain) :-). Important info will remain in first few pages. Sorry I will reserve a bunch of place, not being masochistic about my signature line or anything like that. Lastly my posts will be on CBIII HD only - no plan to upgrade until Atmos and DTS:X are in.

CB IVa

Start Here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post54574990

CB III

All other Casablanca discussions should stay with the main Theta thread; this thread is meant primarily for "storage" and setup help only. If you see errors, pls correct me. If you have question about settings, fire away. I have no idea what the thread is going to be like but hopefully someone other than me :-) will find it useful as well. Lastly, this thread only supplements the manual, so please read and set up per manual first.

Wish List:
1. Upmixed mode needs to be displayed: Right now Dolby TrueHD 5.1 upmixed to 7.1 is simply displayed as "Dolby TrueHD". It needs to be "Dolby TrueHD + PL2MV".
2. Default Mode needs to have a mode called "Native" Currently the choices are "PL2MV," "Neo6C", but why are native modes, or at least "Native" not available?! NB: The fact that BOTH #1 and #2 are incomplete is what makes it tough. IOW since the display (#1 ) is not giving you information about upmixing, the lack of "native" mode (#2 ) leaves user in the dark as to what exactly is playing . This is why I think this is priority one to be fixed in next gen Casablanca.
In addition, would be helpful if users have ability to switch between Native vs Processed. This has been proposed by others in the past, and I agree. My proposal:
***Default Mode in Menu Setting: List all processed modes
***Mode Button on Remote: Toggle between processed and native
3. Upmix PCM 3 and 5.1 & Merge the different "brains" in Casablanca: Casablanca acts like it has 3 separate brains: one for old/lossy AC-3 Dolby Digital and one for new/lossless Dolby TrueHD, then a third brain for LPCM 3.0 and 5.1 (from SACD), which doesn't upmix at all. My wish is for the Mode setting to become more logical, and more "integrated."
4. Dirac filter: more than 1.
5. Display of resolution, 96/24 etc. of at least main LR channels. We are flying blind right now and we shouldn't be. Top line of display has room to show this.
6. Auro an option to save owners $. This codec is unlikely to survive - $ 1k is too much, let alone 2k.

Bug List:
Encoded Dolby Digital 2 Channel Stereo (from Cable Box, DVD, etc.) is processed automatically to 5.1 even when mode is set to Stereo . I think I understand why Theta did it, but this is an extremely confusing bug and should be eliminated ASAP. BTW, the "bandaid" fix: to hear Stereo, set Dolby Digital 2 Channel mode to Matrix instead. This is the one and only time that I think Matrix mode should be used.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 08-20-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Read this first: IMHO spending a few minutes to read the next few posts here would save you hours and hours :-) of frustration later. The Casablanca could be quite confusing until you figure out its behavior. For me the key to know is this: there are 3 brains in the Casablanca :-), each brain has its own setting and specific behavior and may be quite different from the other brains in how it handles a signal (why it could be so confusing).

Brain 1 (Modern): For CD/SACD Stereo, and Bluray Disc with **lossless** Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA.
Brain 2 (Classic): For Old DVD and Cable Box with **lossy** Dolby Digital and DTS 2.0 and 5.1.
Brain 3 (Dummy): For SACD 3 and 5.1, aka Multi-Channel LPCM. Dummy because it does no processing - native mode only.

I know it seems confusing at first but I would recommend to read and ponder the above paragraphs for a few minutes before moving on to the setting up part below. IMHO it is THE absolute key to a happy owner experience. Anyway, here is how to access each of the 3 brains and what they do:
Brain 1: Will play native or upmix to 5.1 or 7.1, Settting is accessed by: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), then "5", then arrow buttons to toggle.
Brain 2: Will play native or upmix to 5.1 or 7.1, Settting is accessed by: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), "A-D" (To get to page 2), "2" to access the menu of Dolby Digital, then set the modes (see pic below in post #3 ).
Brain 3: Do not upmix anything. Always native.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
First up is Brain #1, the "modern" brain :-): This would involve the Default Mode setting, how Casablanca will process a signals from Blu-ray Disc 5.1 and 7.1, or CD or SACD Stereo

For stereo material such as BD, SACD, DVD-A the "Default Mode" setting is probably the most important setting in Casablanca. Understand this or your life will fall apart, like mine almost did :-) (no kidding!). To start, I would suggest setting up 3 basic inputs, each with a different default mode:
1. Default Stereo to play 2.0 Stereo music as is - set the mode to Stereo, set speakers as 5.1 (every speaker turned on, except the side speakers).
2. Default PLIIx Movie (PL2MV) to play 5.1 materials - set the mode to PL2MV - set speakers as 5.1 (every speaker on, except side)
3. Default PLIIx Movie (PL2MV) - set the mode to PL2MV - set speakers as 7.1 (every speaker on, *including* the side speakers - see post #5 below for the 2 places you need to go to turn on side speakers).

Default Mode Stereo is simple enough and works as expected, but there are a few idiosyncrasies you need to know about the multi-channel Default Mode PL2MV/PL2MU. When an input is set to PL2MV, it will do the followings:
1. Will not upmix SACD 3.0 or 5.1 to 7.1
2. Will upmix anything with 2 channels to 5.1 or 7.1
3. Will upmix Dolby/DTS 5.1 to 7.1 in 7.1 system

These idiosyncrasies confuse MANY owners and are the main reason why I think the mode setting needs to be updated, especially as the situation is going to be even more complex when 3D Audio is added. There should be a toggle between "Native" (play anything you put in in as-is/native mode, whether Stereo, Dolby TrueHD, etc.) and "Processed" (for example PLIIx Movie 7.1).

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-08-2016 at 11:02 AM.
post #3 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next up is Brain #2 :-) For DVD and Cable Box with Dolby Digital 2.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1

Even though Dolby Digital is a lossy, old format, it's still important because this is how nearly all of cable news, series, and movies are delivered to the home. The most important part to remember is that the setting for Dolby Digital (brain 2) is in a different menu from Dolby TrueHD (brain 1).

The access for this menu is: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), "A-D" (To get to page 2), "2" (Dolby Digital). Once you push button "2", the menu opens up to the submenu of Dolby Digital. Setting for Dolby Digital in Brain 2 actually over-rides setting in Brain 1, a very important point to discover for me.

Dolby Digital from Cable Box will come in 2 flavors:
Dolby Digital 5.1 (Cable movies, etc.): Nothing to do here. Casablanca will play 5.1 as expected. Once setup correctly the display should read "Dolby Digital" when you are playing a 5.1 Movie from Cable box. If you upmix DD 5.1 to PL2MV DD 7.1 it should read "Dolby Digital + PL2MV"
Dolby Digital 2.0 (Cable news, etc.): There is a bug with Casablanca such that stereo Dolby Digital (DD 2.0) is *UPMIXED* to 5.1, even when you set it the mode to "Stereo." This bug was one of the most bewildering of bug because it is so illogical. The fix for this bug is to set it as "Matrix" instead. Once setup correctly the display should read Dolby Digital + Matrix, and plays Dolby Digital 2.0 correctly.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 09-01-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oppo Setup Equally important, you will have to set up Oppo "correctly."

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 09-01-2015 at 03:51 PM.
post #5 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

How to set up for 7.1 speaker system
Converting/updating from 5.1 to 7.1 speakers.

Remember I mentioned above how Casablanca acts like it has 2 separate brains? Here again, the same behavior is observed: there are two different, separate menus to add 2 rear speakers to your 5.1 system to convert it to 7.1.

1. For lossless Dolby TrueHD, and CD Stereo:
***First Step: "Setup", "1" Input, "1" Config, "6" then use up/down arrow to turn on the SIDE speakers.
***Second Step: "Setup", 1 "Input", "5" then use up/down arrow to select mode for 7.1 upmix. I use PLIIx Movie (PL2MV).

2. For lossy AC-3 Dolby Digital from Cable Box, etc.: "Setup", Button "1" (Input), "A-D" (To get to page 2), "2" (Dolby Digital), "5" then arrow to choose the upmix mode.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 09-04-2015 at 11:51 PM.
post #6 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Miscellaneous Tips

How to check how your card is set up:
Press Setup, press DAC Config
Use A-D button to toggle through each card and see how each channel is assigned.

How to set up DAC Card Output:
1. Turn Theta on, when display shows "Theta Digital" press #1 button, when asked for password, use 11111 for CBIII HD.
2. Press #3 and use Level Up/Down to set the channels for card in slot 1
3. Press A-D
4. Press #2 and use Level Up/Down to set the channels for card in slot 2
5. Press A-D
6. (Skip if you only have 2 cards) Press #2 and use Level Up/Down to set the channels for card in slot 3

A-D Button on Remote toggles between digital connections for each input: if you assign Coax Digital and HDMI Digital to for example the Bluray input, A-D button toggles between these 2 choices.
Display Button on Remote turns of the display if brightness bothers you.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 09-05-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #7 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 6

Regards, Can
post #8 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 7

Regards, Can
post #9 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 8

Regards, Can
post #10 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 9

Regards, Can
post #11 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 10

Regards, Can
post #12 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 11

Regards, Can
post #13 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserve 12

Regards, Can
post #14 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Hate to tell ya, but the CBIV with Dirac Live changed the game and also changed some of the crossover stuff and features. You really need to get your CBIV so you can have this thread current. HA!!!!! (We still luv ya!)

Oh - all burn-in discussion of Theta components should be in this thread. Glimmie will see the title of the thread and think its limited to setup only and he will only look for burn-in comments to burn us about in that other main Theta thread. (Kidding. No way Glimmie won't look in this thread to see what havoc he can bring!)

Back in the early 200s I actually did a lengthy set up thread here re the then CBII I think! I am retired from heavy posting and am glad to leave it to you.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #15 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Oh - all burn-in discussion of Theta components should be in this thread...
Shhhhhh!!!

Kidding aside, I mean to keep this thread short - with emphasis on and link to first page only. I don't expect much activity as most discussions should stay on main Theta thread for easy search.

Not upgrading until Atmos and DTS:X are available - that's my main interest and also I cannot stand sending my unit back and forth for upgrade too often (I think it's part of aging :-)). Most settings such as default mode/7.1 setup/Oppo, etc., should stay same between III and IV. Dirac users will have plenty of help on main Theta thread.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 09-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #16 of 48 Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, secretly burning in my PS Audio PerfectWave Solid Silver HDMI cable, before a shoot-out with my Kimber Kable Illuminati Digital Coax. Some delay as I can't decide whether to set the oven to broil or bake.

JK

Regards, Can
post #17 of 48 Old 08-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Go Back to PC/Mac setup

I wish they would go back where you can use your PC/Mac to set it up.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #18 of 48 Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Back in the early 200s I actually did a lengthy set up thread here re the then CBII I think! I am retired from heavy posting and am glad to leave it to you.
oh yeah. it was called the "ongoing theta cb3 upgrade..." and you did got me into buying one. it was great fun then as hirez audio and video was comming.
Bulldogger likes this.
post #19 of 48 Old 08-22-2015, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next on the menu is 7.1 setup; there are just a few simple steps when adding 2 rear speakers to your 5.1 setup. I should note that up until now a 5.1 setup for movies is pretty good, as most BD releases are 5.1, but with the arrival ofAtmos and DTS:X, these 3D Audio Blu-ray discs are now ALL 7.1.x *native* (it's the default mode for Atmos, 5.1 now is a down-mix for all of these movies). Since it's a bummer to play 7.1 downmixed to 5.1 system, now more than in the past, for movies, IMHO it's important to have 7.1 system.
Anyway, following are some observations in my system. As always please correct me as needed (I'll double check to confirm and modify as necessary):

First interesting point/idiosyncracy - this for me is one of the most important things to know about Casa's behavior: a 7.1 mode settting like PLIIx Movie, will upmix Dolby 5.1 (DVD, BD) and any 2 channel LPCM material (CD, SACD, etc.) to 7.1 - this is as expected. However... for Multi-Channel LPCM, such as SACD 3.0 and 5.1 for example, so far in my experience the Casablanca will NOT upmix. It will play in native mode even if you set mode to 7.1. So:
A. 2 channel SACD and CD (LPCM): will upmix
B. 5.1 channel Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital 5.1: will upmix
C.
3 channel and 5.1 channel, for example SACD (LPCM): will not upmix
Although I have done several rounds of testing to confirm the above, if you find different result, please let me know. Needless to say, if the above is true, then it's something that should be corrected for next generation Casablanca, IMHO. If not, a line in the manual would help users a lot, as this behavior is inconsistent.

Second idiosyncrasy/interesting point: When you go from 5.1 to 7.1, you are adding the rear speakers right? So you would think in the Theta menu there is a button that says "Rear Speakers"?
Answer: not so! The button actually says "Side Speakers." So... to inform the Casablanca of existence of rear speakers in your system, you turn on a label called the "Side Speakers." This is a mind twister that is somewhat counter-intuitive IMHO, but I don't mind it.

Third point, related to the mind twister above - this is minor: In a 7.1 system, if you play SACD 5.1 using a 5.1 setting the rear surround sound comes out of the rear speakers, but if you instead use the 7.1 setting the rear surround now will come out of the side speakers. I hope I am not confused, or confusing here :-).
Pics to come.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 06-24-2017 at 07:56 PM.
post #20 of 48 Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally joined the 21st century and streamed Netflix with Dolby Digital Plus, data rate up to 6144 kbit/s (that's the max possible - Netflix probably streams at fraction of this) versus DD 640 kbit/s, and here's my report for using with Theta Casablanca. First, the reason why I am so behind the time: my ancient Oppo 93 while good for Blu-ray, does not stream Netflix in surround, only 2 channels, and I do not know of a way to upgrade this. Adding a cheap Sony BD player fixed the problem: The Killing IMDB Link HERE, Netflix's outstanding murder mystery series, now streams in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (or is it 7.1) to Casablanca.

1. I was taken aback by the significant improvement in sound quality of DD Plus over DD. Center voice is noticeably more "delineated" in space and more detailed. Although it is lossy format, I would say the quality of DD Plus is almost closer to lossless Dolby TrueHD, than to lossy DD.
2. In my system, I have to use HDMI between BD player and Casablanca to get DD Plus. Coax s/pdif connection only gives DD, no Plus.
3. Because I do not know how Netflix streams The Killing (whether 5.1 or 7.1), when played with 7.1 setup, there is no way to tell in the Casablanca whether it is *NATIVE* DD Plus 7.1, or DD Plus 5.1 *UPMIXED* to 7.1.

Number 3 is the reason why I think next gen Casablanca needs to have a revised menu that allows user to know (and to choose) whether Native or Upmixed is being played. Right now in some rare occasions, we are flying blind and I have not figured out a way to tell.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 09-22-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #21 of 48 Old 09-15-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I finally joined the 21st century and streamed Netflix with Dolby Digital Plus (data rate up to 6144 kbit/s versus DD 640 kbit/s), and here's my report for using with Theta Casablanca. First, the reason why I am so behind the time: my ancient Oppo 93 while good for Blu-ray, does not stream Netflix in surround, only 2 channels, and I do not know of a way to upgrade this. Adding a cheap Sony BD player fixed the problem: The Killing IMDB Link HERE, Netflix's outstanding murder mystery series, now streams in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (or is it 7.1) to Casablanca.

1. I was taken aback by the significant improvement in sound quality of DD Plus over DD. Center voice is noticeably more "delineated" in space and more detailed. Although it is lossy format, I would say the quality of DD Plus is almost closer to lossless Dolby TrueHD, than to lossy DD.
2. In my system, I have to use HDMI between BD player and Casablanca to get DD Plus. Coax s/pdif connection only gives DD, no Plus.
3. Because I do not know how Netflix streams The Killing (whether 5.1 or 7.1), when played with 7.1 setup, there is no way to tell in the Casablanca whether it is *NATIVE* DD Plus 7.1, or DD Plus 5.1 *UPMIXED* to 7.1.

Number 3 is the reason why I think next gen Casablanca needs to have a revised menu that allows user to know (and to choose) whether Native or Upmixed is being played. Right now in some rare occasions, we are flying blind and I have not figured out a way to tell.
My Theta Compli Blu 3D Universal player streams Netflix, but only stereo PCM - but it does stream VuDu in full Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (I have 5.1 channels in my system). My Amazon Fire HD streams Netflix in full Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 but only does VuDu in stereo PCM. Go figure!

My understanding, even with your "obselete" CB3HD (HA!), is that if you set the CB source input to either the dolby or dts mode to synthesize multi-channel from stereo, that if you receive only stereo over Netflix, etc, that the programmed mode with show up - but if you receive multi-channel Dolby Digital Plus then "Dolby Digital Plus" will show up on the front of the CB! At least that's how I understand it.

Lately I have been impressed both visually and sonically with VuDu - video and audio to me sound very close to playing the blu ray! So much so that I am now renting via VuDu most of the new and later movies I want to watch. And Netflix is pretty good, too.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #22 of 48 Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My understanding, even with your "obselete" CB3HD (HA!), is that if you set the CB source input to either the dolby or dts mode to synthesize multi-channel from stereo, that if you receive only stereo over Netflix, etc, that the programmed mode with show up - but if you receive multi-channel Dolby Digital Plus then "Dolby Digital Plus" will show up on the front of the CB! At least that's how I understand it..
Steve, you are absolutely spot on. Here is the summary of Casablanca III HD's (and IV) behavior that's consistent with your observation:

Netflix streaming--------Theta Mode Setting----------Theta Display

1. Stereo LPCM-------------Stereo-------------------Stereo
2. Stereo LPCM-------------7.1 PL2MV--------------PLIIx Movie (PL2MV)
3. Dolby Digital-------------7.1 PL2MV--------------Dolby Digital + PL2MV
4. DD Plus 5.1---------------5.1-----------------------DD Plus
5. DD Plus 5.1---------------7.1 PL2MV--------------DD Plus

Blu-ray Lossless--------Theta Mode Setting----------Theta Display

6. Dolby TrueHD 5.1--------5.1-----------------------Dolby TrueHD
7. Dolby TrueHD 5.1--------7.1 PL2MV--------------Dolby TrueHD

With 1, 2, and 3, the upmixed mode is displayed (PLIIx Movie) when you use it.
With 4, 5, 6, and 7 the upmixed mode is NOT displayed.
This used to drive me bonkers until I finally "decode" the key to understanding Cacablanca's behavior:

1, 2, and 3 belong to older CB III with older codecs, where the display tells you the upmixed mode. Another example of this type of helpful display: "Dolby Digital + PL2MV" tells you the signal received is Dolby Digital, and that it is being upmixed using PLIIx Movie.

I believed 4, 5, 6, and 7 arrived with the introduction of CB III HD (and CB IV HD): whoever wrote the display program decided NOT to display the upmixed mode (no kidding). You cannot tell whether the Casablanca is upmixing. The display will only show the same "Dolby TrueHD" for example, whether it's upmixed or not.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 02-27-2016 at 12:30 PM.
post #23 of 48 Old 11-08-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Certificate of Authenticity :-) for good sound in streaming mode by Netflix. BTW the display is from the well-reviewed and highly recommended show Narcos. Note that older Netflix shows such as Arrested Development may ALSO display "Dolby Digital Plus" as a choice, but it is not (Casablanca doesn't acknowledge Arrested Development as DD Plus even when I chose it, and I think what you get is just Stereo.).

The data rate is a disappointingly paltry 192 kbps for DD Plus, and 384 kbps for DD Plus Atmos (about same as DVD, and IIRC about 1/10 of max data rate of DD Plus, where sound apparently is indistinguishable from lossless source), but beggars can't be choosers. As long as you don't make A:B comparison with the gold standard, Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA of Blu-ray disc, DD Plus streaming sound is pretty good and IMHO entirely acceptable in a high end system.

I understand Netflix the content provider has to hold down the rate so that they don't p.o. internet service providers such as Cox, so unfortunately I don't believe this rate is going to change soon - regardless of how fast your cable modem is. The question is will next generation Dolby streaming standard (AC4) sound better than DD Plus (E-AC3), the way that DD Plus sounds better and is more efficient than DD (AC3). (Any pro lurking please correct any info as needed.)

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 02-01-2016 at 07:08 AM.
post #24 of 48 Old 01-31-2016, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reporting an interesting finding - pending further investigation, and maybe specific to my system with CBIII HD. I've gone over the procedure a few times now to make sure I've done the calibration correctly, and the results have been consistent. If you've noticed differently in your Theta please correct me as needed.

To calibrate speaker levels I've used the Casablanca's internal noise generator so far, but recently tried the AIX Records Audio Calibration Blu-ray Disc. What I've noticed is that specifically with the LFE channel, using the AIX disc leads to a much higher (louder) bass setting. And the difference is not small, several dB's we are talking about.

To my ears, the Theta internal noise generator is quite obviously more "correct" than the AIX disc. I sort of consider myself a bass addict :-), but too much bass from AIX calibration causes front soundstage clarity to suffer significantly, and this of course is where the money is.

Regards, Can
post #25 of 48 Old 08-29-2016, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Casablanca III non HD and Oppo Question Setup

Hello,
I recently purchased a Casablanca III upgraded from a II. The Casablanca III has on card with three XLR and 4 component
I want to hookup 7 channel from my Oppo. What is the recommended setup for coax or optical from the Oppo to the Casablanca.

I assume from reading other posts that the surrounds are the sides, and the sides are the rears speakers? What do I need to change on the Casablanca to have 7.1 setup from my Oppo. On the Oppo, LPCM or Bitstream in the coax/optical selection. Any advise is well appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance. I'm used to OSD setup which the III does not have, so I have to get used to that.

I have read about Crystal software that would work from the PC to the III. Where can I obtain.
post #26 of 48 Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post
Hello,
I recently purchased a Casablanca III upgraded from a II. The Casablanca III has on card with three XLR and 4 component
I want to hookup 7 channel from my Oppo. What is the recommended setup for coax or optical from the Oppo to the Casablanca.

I assume from reading other posts that the surrounds are the sides, and the sides are the rears speakers? What do I need to change on the Casablanca to have 7.1 setup from my Oppo. On the Oppo, LPCM or Bitstream in the coax/optical selection. Any advise is well appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance. I'm used to OSD setup which the III does not have, so I have to get used to that.

I have read about Crystal software that would work from the PC to the III. Where can I obtain.
Hi there and congrats. I know only CBIII HD so please repost your question to the "real" Theta thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...hread-359.html

A few people on that thread are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding CB III non HD, for example Bulldogger and Steve Bruzonsky, and a few others.

Regarding side vs rear vs surround, here's how it works in CBIII HD and yes there is a little bit of potential confusion - read the following carefully and I would become less confusing :-):
***In a 5.1 system, you have LCR plus Surrounds, which are the speakers to your side in 5.1 system.
***In a 7.1 system, to add two speakers to 5.1, the menu tells you to turn on the "Side" speakers. So now.... you have LCR, plus the Side Outputs which are connected to side surround speakers, and the Surrounds Outputs, which are *now* connected to the rear speakers.
Basically Surround outputs are connected to side surround speakers in 5.1, and to rear surround speakers in 7.1. Hope this helps.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 08-29-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #27 of 48 Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved IVa
post #28 of 48 Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved IVa 2

Regards, Can
post #29 of 48 Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved IVa 3

Regards, Can
post #30 of 48 Old 08-03-2017, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved IVa 4

Regards, Can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page