Sony VPL-VW5000ES 4K Laser - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 905Likes

post #2131 of 2242 Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
We are having a family reunion here as we speak. My nephew came from Philadelphia and he told me last night that a guy he knows at work ask him if he knew a guy named Art ? He said he was building a theater room and looked on the internet and had never seen the name Sonneborn any place before .

Anyway, my nephew didn't want to leave or his children they just loved the front row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Your theater could be named "Front Row Cinema"! Except I think there already is a company with that [email protected]@@
Sounds like all is good for you (on the down low) - But Im surprised there's anyone hasn't heard of that theater?!

Thanks for posting - my future theater front row is as close as yours and I'm less nervous about it now!

I salute our Immersion professionals: Curt Hoyt to which I am very thankful for positioning my JBL loudspeakers correctly to achieve a very tight bubble and the greatly missed Peter CINERAMAX whose fearless R&D in PRO-RIBBON cinemas, curation of most immersive Kaleidescape scripts and forging ahead to 55 loudspeaker Crystal Led Cinemas will pave the road ahead. And Adam Pelz for bringing the system to jawdropping life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2242 Old 07-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Sounds like all is good for you (on the down low) - But Im surprised there's anyone hasn't heard of that theater?!

Thanks for posting - my future theater front row is as close as yours and I'm less nervous about it now!
Due to my floorstanding speakers being out into my room, with my front row center in the middle of them, I sit about 13' from my 14' wide screen in my theater for my front row. But I could be 4-5' closer no problem at all!

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #2133 of 2242 Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2888 Post(s)
Liked: 1967
Blue Streakery

Hi Guys.

I wondered if anyone could oblige?

We are getting users of 760/885's (other projectors also get a similar thing but we are just concerned about those with laser engines at the moment), that have a strange blue streaking that comes out of the white box on the ZOne alignment screen and also out of whit characters on the menus and also on some white text on films.

For example the text at the bottom of the screen at the start of Passengers.

Example: (@fatherom I am using your pic too, to help illustrate, hope that is okay?)

First pic is a 'bad case'

Second pic is a 'mild case'

Do any of you guys see this on your 5000's and could someone with passengers please take a pic of the same part and post it up? Also of the box in the zone alignment would be a good comparison too.

You may have to go right up to the screen to see it as well.

Thanks in advance. We are trying to work out what might cause such a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fatherom streaks.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	747.9 KB
ID:	2426654   Click image for larger version

Name:	User laser 95 Full.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2426656  
fatherom likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2242 Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
I've seen this with lens shift on the lamp based 1080 Sony's - if you can try moving the lens shift away from the current position and see if the streaking changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2135 of 2242 Old 07-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Please post a white grid test pattern.

Art
post #2136 of 2242 Old 07-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
I've seen this with lens shift on the lamp based 1080 Sony's - if you can try moving the lens shift away from the current position and see if the streaking changes.

I tried that on mine to no avail.
post #2137 of 2242 Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Please post a white grid test pattern.

Art

As captured on an iPhone 7:

Enhanced to see the height of the streaks as it was in person (iPhone failed to capture that properly):

Boonyarat likes this.
post #2138 of 2242 Old 07-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Wow ! I've never seen anything like that. I have two 5000s, one since May of 2016 the other since December of 2017. Is it consistent through other inputs ? If it is, I'd contact the dealer immediately.

Art
Dave Harper likes this.
post #2139 of 2242 Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Wow ! I've never seen anything like that. I have two 5000s, one since May of 2016 the other since December of 2017. Is it consistent through other inputs ? If it is, I'd contact the dealer immediately.

Art

It was on all sources and didn't deviate on all possible physical and electronic changes I tried to make. I contacted my partner dealer immediately and we went through Sony to send it back. It's been long gone from here for awhile now.
post #2140 of 2242 Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Art
That is interesting, can you possibly post up a picture of your zone alignment grid pattern and 'zone square' as per Dave's pictures?

It is on a fair few units with some much, much worse than others. I cannot see the effect in content but others most definitely can. I still think it is due to something physical out of whack in the optical path and as the 5000 is so much heavier and bigger one can reasonably assume that it is far better at absorbing knocks during transit than a 760. Also I suspect it would be couriered to the end customer much more carefully than any 760 would be too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
post #2141 of 2242 Old 07-16-2018, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting! Did centering the lens sort it?
Do you have any pictures?

post #2142 of 2242 Old 07-18-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, hi guys/gals.

Can no one get the zone alignment screen up and check for the phenomenon shown a few posts above and post a picture?

Cheers.

post #2143 of 2242 Old 07-20-2018, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Interesting! Did centering the lens sort it?
Do you have any pictures?
Sorry for the late reply, but I've not been on this forum much at all recently.

The problem on the 1080 Sony seemed to be having the lens shift down too much. Moving the lens shift back up fixed the problem (and lowering the pj to get the image back onto the screen). Moving it left and right had no effect so it appeared to be just the vertical that was causing it.

If you move the image up using the lens shift, does it change? if not I'd report it as a fault. I'll see if I can find a picture, but if you can't fix it by altering the lens shift I'd get it fixed/replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #2144 of 2242 Old 07-20-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The problem on the 1080 Sony seemed to be having the lens shift down too much. Moving the lens shift back up fixed the problem (and lowering the pj to get the image back onto the screen). Moving it left and right had no effect so it appeared to be just the vertical that was causing it.

If you move the image up using the lens shift, does it change? if not I'd report it as a fault. I'll see if I can find a picture, but if you can't fix it by altering the lens shift I'd get it fixed/replaced.
Hi.
I don't have an issue with mine, I was just asking if any kind folks who own a 5000Es would be kind enough to post a close up of their zone alignment screen selection square to show if the issue is present of not.

I am guessing the lack of takers means the 5000 suffers from it too.

post #2145 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 AM

Best not to buy Purepower to power/protect our VW5000s. See the below link and the link therein for the Audiogon forum discussion, where a number of customers have had big service issues, etc.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ght=Pure+power

http://www.ppowerus.com/audio/
http://www.ppowerus.com/audio/propower-purepower/ for discussion of issues between Purepower and Propower, which apparently manufactured the Purepower units "guts".

Here is a current Propower units that perhaps can power/protect the VW5000, but I have no experience with it.

http://www.ppowerus.com/audio/products/propower-2000/

Pray for all of our healthcare providers, food manufacturing and delivery workers, all of whom are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #2146 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Do not buy Purepower to power/protect our VW5000s. Apparently they are a fraud and simply are adding their own cosmetics and selling Propower units without a license to do so!

I will inquire, as I am willing to bet there is another side to this story. As far as I know, there was a company that had manufacture ties with Purepower (when the product’s manufacture was moved to China) who broke off with them and continued building the same product in China resulting in a lengthy lawsuit. The break off company was eventually forced by the court to cease manufacture of the ripoff product. Purepower moved manufacture back to Canada, and as far as I know, the product was built there in-house. This is public info so the veracity of this can be checked.

As we all know, there is usually 2 sides of the story, so I have reached out to Purepower for an explanation re Propower’s serious allegations. Perhaps, if there was a lack of a 150k payment, that was tied to the lawsuit in China, and was sanctioned by the court? The electrical engineer at Purepower (Walter) now has an even higher end model with a lithium battery. So if ProPower is right, then where did this tech come from? Something doesn’t sound right about Propower’s allegations.

The bad press Purepower got from Audiogoners was during this attempted Chinese takeover. Both my units, my 1050 and +2000 were purchased when the company was exclusively building in Canada, so I avoided all this drama and any resulting ill effects. What I conclusively know is, I have been very happy with their products.

*Interesting how there is not one picture of a UPS on the Propower website, and when I search for the WI series online, I find nothing.

Last edited by G-Rex; 07-21-2018 at 05:30 AM.
post #2147 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Do not buy Purepower to power/protect our VW5000s. Apparently they are a fraud and simply are adding their own cosmetics and selling Propower units without a license to do so!

What is this for ?
post #2148 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is this for ?
An online UPS powerful enough for the 5000.
post #2149 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 AM

So for a power outage during active use of the projector or during cool down or ??

Art
post #2150 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So for a power outage during active use of the projector or during cool down or ??

Art
Both Art... The UPS is always online/active. It will switch to battery power instantly whether power goes out during normal use (allowing plenty of time/power for you to initiate a proper cool down cycle) or during a cool down cycle which will provide power for the cool down to finish as usual. It is more likely that if power goes out, it will be during normal use, since cool down is not long for this projector. It has other benefits though, as it is always providing proper power so there is no worry of any under/over voltage flowing to the 5000.

Last edited by G-Rex; 07-21-2018 at 10:18 AM.
post #2151 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Both Art... The UPS is always online/active. It will switch to battery power instantly whether power goes out during normal use or during cool down. It is more likely that if power goes out, it will be during normal use, since cool down is not long for this projector. It has other benefits though, as it is always providing proper power so there is no worry of any under/over voltage flowing to the 5000.

Thanks

Art
post #2152 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I will inquire, as I am willing to bet there is another side to this story. As far as I know, there was a company that had manufacture ties with Purepower (when the product’s manufacture was moved to China) who broke off with them and continued building the same product in China resulting in a lengthy lawsuit. The break off company was eventually forced by the court to cease manufacture of the ripoff product. Purepower moved manufacture back to Canada, and as far as I know, the product was built there in-house. This is public info so the veracity of this can be checked.

As we all know, there is usually 2 sides of the story, so I have reached out to Purepower for an explanation re Propower’s serious allegations. Perhaps, if there was a lack of a 150k payment, that was tied to the lawsuit in China, and was sanctioned by the court? The electrical engineer at Purepower (Walter) now has an even higher end model with a lithium battery. So if ProPower is right, then where did this tech come from? Something doesn’t sound right about Propower’s allegations.

The bad press Purepower got from Audiogoners was during this attempted Chinese takeover. Both my units, my 1050 and +2000 were purchased when the company was exclusively building in Canada, so I avoided all this drama and any resulting ill effects. What I conclusively know is, I have been very happy with their products.

*Interesting how there is not one picture of a UPS on the Propower website, and when I search for the WI series online, I find nothing.
Here is a current Propower units that perhaps can power/protect the VW5000, but I have no experience with it.

http://www.ppowerus.com/audio/products/propower-2000/

The Audiogon thread does have recent complaints against Purepower as well!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 07-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #2153 of 2242 Old 07-21-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:

No amount of lens shift helped my 885, or any other physical or electronic adjustment (outside the service menu anyway, and no I didn't do any service menu adjustments for fear of voiding the warranty on this clearly broken projector). In fact I had mine on a shelf just behind and above my head throwing almost dead center of the screen, so no or hardly any lens shift would've been used anyway.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #2154 of 2242 Old 07-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
To address the post regarding PurePower;

The situation reported by Steve Bruzonsky has been presented unfairly we believe and includes completely false information regarding PurePower.

We were working to solve a Power problem with a PurePower installation in California for over a year providing multiple replacement units and various solutions which were not effective.

All three units provided him functioned perfectly on initial build and later on return inspection.

After over a year, the customer finally disclosed that he had a full solar installation with inverters attached to his home, generating extremely high harmonics. Had we known he had a solar install, we would have had a solution almost immediately instead of trying to find a fix for something that wasn’t broken.

There was no claim that the PurePower units did not provide perfect and isolated regenerated AC, or that the desired performance improvement of the connected components was not met, but the problem with the solar system caused loud harmonic buzzing in our input filter circuits at a level we have never before heard.

Regardless, we will ensure that the customer receives full restitution as warranted. We did not refuse to refund his purchase price at any time. We simply promised to accept his return - after a full year - resell that unit to another customer and provide a full refund the minute it is sold. We feel that is eminently fair for a custom built and configured product.

On the matter of “The Real” PurePower:

- PurePower began in 2003 with 100% North American parts, manufacturing and assembly with 1st Gen models.
- In 2006 we outsourced some board production to Taipei for the 2nd Gen models with the remainder of production and assembly in Canada.
- We slowly increased outsourcing of parts over the next 5 years until most of the unit was produced and assembled overseas.
- In 2011 our primary supplier attempted an outrageous brand and product theft. This is fully documented in the court papers made available on our web site and was resolved completely in our favor (against the ProPower people) by the 6th Circuit in Florida with an award of $650,000. This award remains entirely outstanding. We maintain no relation with the former sub-supplier in any way and they remain under permanent court injunction.
- 2012 was occupied with the above legal issues, and a full year of design of our 3rd Gen “Plus” models as well as bringing all production and assembly back to Canada.
- A long and difficult period of recovery ensued. The disruption to the company caused by the attempted hijacking of our brand and products were severe with years of lingering effects.
- 2017 through this year saw our development and release of the new 4th Gen. PurePower Gold product line – also with North American production and assembly in our Canada facility.

PurePower makes great AC regeneration products. We believe we deal in good faith and try to provide good and timely service to our dealers and customers.

We have a large number of very happy customers running high end projection systems which are able to perform to their full potential (and in complete safety from power effects) due to the Pure Power they receive. Some of you I believe are subscribers to AVS Forums.
Art Sonneborn and G-Rex like this.

Last edited by teachsac; 07-25-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Non MSRP Price Talk
post #2155 of 2242 Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePowerAPS View Post
To address the post regarding PurePower;

The situation reported by Steve Bruzonsky has been presented unfairly we believe and includes completely false information regarding PurePower.

We were working to solve a Power problem with a PurePower installation in California for over a year providing multiple replacement units and various solutions which were not effective.

All three units provided him functioned perfectly on initial build and later on return inspection.

After over a year, the customer finally disclosed that he had a full solar installation with inverters attached to his home, generating extremely high harmonics. Had we known he had a solar install, we would have had a solution almost immediately instead of trying to find a fix for something that wasn’t broken.

There was no claim that the PurePower units did not provide perfect and isolated regenerated AC, or that the desired performance improvement of the connected components was not met, but the problem with the solar system caused loud harmonic buzzing in our input filter circuits at a level we have never before heard.

Regardless, we will ensure that the customer receives full restitution as warranted. We did not refuse to refund his purchase price at any time. We simply promised to accept his return - after a full year - resell that unit to another customer and provide a full refund the minute it is sold. We feel that is eminently fair for a custom built and configured product.

On the matter of “The Real” PurePower:

- PurePower began in 2003 with 100% North American parts, manufacturing and assembly with 1st Gen models.
- In 2006 we outsourced some board production to Taipei for the 2nd Gen models with the remainder of production and assembly in Canada.
- We slowly increased outsourcing of parts over the next 5 years until most of the unit was produced and assembled overseas.
- In 2011 our primary supplier attempted an outrageous brand and product theft. This is fully documented in the court papers made available on our web site and was resolved completely in our favor (against the ProPower people) by the 6th Circuit in Florida with an award of $650,000. This award remains entirely outstanding. We maintain no relation with the former sub-supplier in any way and they remain under permanent court injunction.
- 2012 was occupied with the above legal issues, and a full year of design of our 3rd Gen “Plus” models as well as bringing all production and assembly back to Canada.
- A long and difficult period of recovery ensued. The disruption to the company caused by the attempted hijacking of our brand and products were severe with years of lingering effects.
- 2017 through this year saw our development and release of the new 4th Gen. PurePower Gold product line – also with North American production and assembly in our Canada facility.

PurePower makes great AC regeneration products. We believe we deal in good faith and try to provide good and timely service to our dealers and customers.

We have a large number of very happy customers running high end projection systems which are able to perform to their full potential (and in complete safety from power effects) due to the Pure Power they receive. Some of you I believe are subscribers to AVS Forums.
I simply linked from What's Best Forum and Audiogon that some consumers there have had issues/concerns in recent years, and because one forum member has these products and raves about them, so I thought folks should be aware. When one spends a lot of $$ one must be concerned when there are some reports of serious issues/concerns out there. You should respond over at those forums, too. I was seriously considering buying one of your units late last year for my Sony VW5000 projector - but mine is ceiling mounted, 12' high ceiling, and cools down with fan in 5 seconds after turning off, and I decided it was just more than I felt justified spending! As a consumer, if I am considering buying a product, web forum posts like these of course must concern me in making a decision whether or not to buy a company's product. And this is a decision for each individual consumer, who must do his/her own research and decide.

post #2156 of 2242 Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 359
One of the core lessons I teach in my entrepreneurship lecture is to never, ever outsource your core competencies. Which in the case of making a product, has to include the manufacturing itself. Too many courses are teaching "how to write a case for venture capital" and outsourcing, as if we can't or shouldn't make anything anymore. Just because Apple did it successfully (thus far), does not mean you (student) can do it. It's a foolish endeavor, as keeping your core competencies in your hands every day is what drives quality and innovation. Just because our trade policies dramatically encourage everyone to circumvent our neighbors labor and environmental standards doesn't mean it's a strategic way to run a company. However wealthy our multinationals have become doing just that... :/

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #2157 of 2242 Old 10-11-2018, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No more 4K Blu-Ray discs

I am very happy with my Sony 5000ES and its performance. How ever I'm not purchasing any more 4K Discs.
I have a Oppo 203 4K Blu-ray DVD player, which plays out standing up scale Blu-ray, but the Sony 5000ES does not project Dolby Vision Discs in that mode.
The picture image is just to dark for me.
I'm currently getting 444 12 bit picture, but no Dolby Vision. I get a great up scale Blu-ray picture, that I'm very happy with.
So, I have decided not to purchase any more 4K versions of a movie.
I've spoken with Sony Tech Support on this however, they have told me that Sony will not have firmware for the Dolby Vision image. Really to bad.
4K....Done !
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #2158 of 2242 Old 10-11-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure what your screen size and gain are, but add a Lumagen or one of the Panasonic UHD players (with Dynamic Contrast Slider and HDR Optimizer) and you will be far from done with 4k movies. On my 203, HDR is too dark, but not so on my Panasonic 900. Unless your screen is huge 15’-16’ wide, there are work arounds...
post #2159 of 2242 Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your screen size and gain are, but add a Lumagen or one of the Panasonic UHD players (with Dynamic Contrast Slider and HDR Optimizer) and you will be far from done with 4k movies. On my 203, HDR is too dark, but not so on my Panasonic 900. Unless your screen is huge 15’-16’ wide, there are work arounds...

Yes, and certainly selling himself short if he throws away the best option for film presentation in the home right now. The entire process of presenting HDR on lower nit displays has it's problems, no doubt ,but with the immersion projection allows and tone mapping helps to work, I'd hate to think I'd be without it now.

Art
G-Rex likes this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 10-11-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #2160 of 2242 Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure why Tigerhonaker liked pevco’s comment? The 5000 throws plenty of light for HDR, even for my 14’ wide unity gain 2.40:1 screen. I can easily watch HDR at 78-85 on the laser. If the 5000 doesn’t throw enough light for some, imagine what they will say about the JVCs and HDR.
LJG and Art Sonneborn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page