JBL Synthesis SDP-75 - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 190Likes

post #451 of 545 Old 04-07-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Yep, as Ken describes, all the things you have listed are manually entered into the Trinnov and user editable on an Altitude. They are user entries, not changes JBL has made to the Trinnov software. There is nothing stopping a Trinnov owner entering exactly the same settings and parameters in a standard Altitude unit (though I keep forgetting that the SDP-75 doesn’t allow access to the PEQ).

Even SFM2 is currently done externally, and the resulting filters entered manually in the SDP75 - so even without access to the SFM2 software, very similar can be achieved with something like MSO.
Except currently (as you mentioned) there is no access to the PEQ section, so MSO won't help an end user. Or even someone who is a Master ARCOS calibrator apparently...
sdrucker and Wookii like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 545 Old 04-08-2019, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 2155
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Except currently (as you mentioned) there is no access to the PEQ section, so MSO won't help an end user. Or even someone who is a Master ARCOS calibrator apparently...
Do I sense some frustration there Adam lol

Yep, I meant that an Altitude owner with MSO could achieve very similar results to an SDP-75 with SFM2. Overall my point was there is no difference between the two (other than the lack of access to PEQ and missing Remapping), and that any Altitude owner can re-create all the settings in an SDP-75 at will should they choose.
appelz likes this.
post #453 of 545 Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Is it possible to export the "Secret Sauce" PEQ settings for JBL speakers from the SDP-75 and import these into the Altitude or are those PEQ's excluded from backups.

Has anyone tried it ?

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871

Last edited by kingwiggi; 04-08-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 545 Old 04-09-2019, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Is it possible to export the "Secret Sauce" PEQ settings for JBL speakers from the SDP-75 and import these into the Altitude or are those PEQ's excluded from backups.

Has anyone tried it ?
Most are available on the internet or this forum, depending on which model you're looking for (mainly Master Reference series), though if you plan to EQ full bandwidth I've found adding them is of no significant benefit - most of the JBL PEQ adjustments are fairly small (<2dB) when you're considering against in room response - and the Optimiser will correct to the target in any case. I run 708i and 705i all round, in combination with SCL-4's - I would still add the JBL PEQ's if I was limiting the target curve to a Schroeder cut-off or similar and doing no manual PEQ above, but I'd personally still always favour correcting the in-room measured response.
post #455 of 545 Old 04-09-2019, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Most are available on the internet or this forum, depending on which model you're looking for (mainly Master Reference series), though if you plan to EQ full bandwidth I've found adding them is of no significant benefit - most of the JBL PEQ adjustments are fairly small (<2dB) when you're considering against in room response - and the Optimiser will correct to the target in any case. I run 708i and 705i all round, in combination with SCL-4's - I would still add the JBL PEQ's if I was limiting the target curve to a Schroeder cut-off or similar and doing no manual PEQ above, but I'd personally still always favour correcting the in-room measured response.

Question was more of an academic one, this is. Av-science after all. I’m sure that those loaded on the SDP-75 will show up eventually.

Yes, the PEQ’s decoded from the crown amps are indeed already available on the web and I have been using those in my system for some time now with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
post #456 of 545 Old 04-09-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Question was more of an academic one, this is. Av-science after all. I’m sure that those loaded on the SDP-75 will show up eventually.

Yes, the PEQ’s decoded from the crown amps are indeed already available on the web and I have been using those in my system for some time now with good results.

Sorry, I don't follow - the PEQ's in the Crown amps, will be the same as the PEQ loaded into the SDP-75, for any specific speaker? Or were you referring the other settings within the Altitude/SDP-75?
post #457 of 545 Old 04-12-2019, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ok, finally got around to hooking up the 708ps as digital AES/EBU to the SDP-75. So now it is official I am 100% digital to the speakers. How does it sound you ask? Sounds great, cant really tell a difference from using Analog. I am glad I did it, I wasn't expecting a massive difference so I am not disappointed, I just wanted to be the first guy on the block with a pure digital system. Concerns for AD/DA conversions are probably nonsense oh and also hdmi jitter for music, audiophiles need something to be concerned over, right? Personally I thought it makes the most sense to have the AD/DA as far down the chain as possible. So I consider this pet project a success!
post #458 of 545 Old 04-12-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post
Ok, finally got around to hooking up the 708ps as digital AES/EBU to the SDP-75. So now it is official I am 100% digital to the speakers. How does it sound you ask? Sounds great, cant really tell a difference from using Analog. I am glad I did it, I wasn't expecting a massive difference so I am not disappointed, I just wanted to be the first guy on the block with a pure digital system. Concerns for AD/DA conversions are probably nonsense oh and also hdmi jitter for music, audiophiles need something to be concerned over, right? Personally I thought it makes the most sense to have the AD/DA as far down the chain as possible. So I consider this pet project a success!

Not that I think there are big differences in cables, but curious what you used for AES cable and how long the runs are.
post #459 of 545 Old 04-12-2019, 07:53 PM

The DB25 cable was made from ProaudioLA and the XLR cables were made by Markertek and range fromn15ft-30ft.
post #460 of 545 Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just wanted to be the first guy on the block with a pure digital system.

Maybe on the SDP-75 block. I’ve been running 16 digital channels on the Altitude 32 for a while now.

post #461 of 545 Old 04-18-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DIRAC LIVE Version 2.2 has been released and is available now.

It is substantially easier to use (much better and more understandable GUI) and the sonic performance has also improved.

This new version of DIRAC Live will work with all Arcam & Lexicon AVRs and Preamps sold in 2018, and those moving forward.

The newly released Dirac Live v2.2 acoustic measurement and calibration system introduces improved calibration
performance and ease of use over all previous Dirac Live versions. The full frequency response version of Dirac Live v2.2
comes to you at no charge with the purchase of any ARCAM or Lexicon AV Processor or Audio Video Receiver.
Improvements include:
1. Ease of Use – New User Interface
a. Improved Speaker Level Setting – Vastly quicker and easier to accomplish.
b. Target Curve Modifications – Manually adjusting target curve to optimize the performance of a speaker in its unique
room conditions is simplified.
c. Auto Project Save – Saving a project during the calibration process is critical. Auto Save avoids potential of having
to restart a calibration from the beginning.
2. Improved Performance
a. Additional data points allow the system to more accurately calibrate for any given room and seating location.
b. Improved delay acquisition leads to improved imaging and clarity.
c. Harman Exclusive – Harman Target curves available exclusively for Arcam and Lexicon AV Processors.
These Harman curves replace the default Dirac curves. Developed over years of dedicated research by the
Harman acoustics team, they are the basis of all Harman branded speaker development including Revel and JBL.
Multiple curves are provided for small and large subwoofers, full range speakers and smaller surround and height channels.
Harman Target curves are available on our Arcam and Lexicon Websites under each product that offers Dirac Live.
Download Dirac Live v2.2 at https://live.dirac.com.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 04-18-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #462 of 545 Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
DIRAC LIVE Version 2.2 has been released and is available now.

It is substantially easier to use (much better and more understandable GUI) and the sonic performance has also improved.

This new version of DIRAC Live will work with all Arcam & Lexicon AVRs and Preamps sold in 2018, and those moving forward.

The newly released Dirac Live v2.2 acoustic measurement and calibration system introduces improved calibration
performance and ease of use over all previous Dirac Live versions. The full frequency response version of Dirac Live v2.2
comes to you at no charge with the purchase of any ARCAM or Lexicon AV Processor or Audio Video Receiver.
Improvements include:
1. Ease of Use – New User Interface
a. Improved Speaker Level Setting – Vastly quicker and easier to accomplish.
b. Target Curve Modifications – Manually adjusting target curve to optimize the performance of a speaker in its unique
room conditions is simplified.
c. Auto Project Save – Saving a project during the calibration process is critical. Auto Save avoids potential of having
to restart a calibration from the beginning.
2. Improved Performance
a. Additional data points allow the system to more accurately calibrate for any given room and seating location.
b. Improved delay acquisition leads to improved imaging and clarity.
c. Harman Exclusive – Harman Target curves available exclusively for Arcam and Lexicon AV Processors.
These Harman curves replace the default Dirac curves. Developed over years of dedicated research by the
Harman acoustics team, they are the basis of all Harman branded speaker development including Revel and JBL.
Multiple curves are provided for small and large subwoofers, full range speakers and smaller surround and height channels.
Harman Target curves are available on our Arcam and Lexicon Websites under each product that offers Dirac Live.
Download Dirac Live v2.2 at https://live.dirac.com.
But this is the JBL SDP-75 thread...

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #463 of 545 Old 04-18-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
But this is the JBL SDP-75 thread...
Perhaps the poster remembers you posting in the Theta thread?
thebland and Fitero like this.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #464 of 545 Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Pasich View Post
Hi there, newbie here. So I’ve been going back and forth reading the specs on both the Trinnov and the SDP-75 pages and really like what I’m reading. Right now I have a McIntosh MX122 in a 7.2.5 (front rear height and VOG). I’m looking to upgrade when DTS:X Pro rolls out since it will allow me to add side surround Height channels which the room is pre-wired for. I had them hooked up to my Mac, but it doesn’t use them for Atmos so I ran them to the back but I really want both. So here’s my question, is there a major difference between the SDP and the Altitude that the specs just don’t show? I’ve had a Synthesis preamp a long time ago which I simply loved. So is it going to be more following my heart and getting the SDP or is there an advantage to going the JBL route?
Quite simply, if you don't have JBL Synthesis speakers, then you will want an Altitude.
Mark Seaton and sdrucker like this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #465 of 545 Old 07-22-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
A question for the experts on JBL setups using the DSP-75. If you have a JBL M2s and and one Crown® I-Tech 5000HD per speaker is it possible to connect this setup digitally all the way with DSP-75? Ie only one DA convertion before the music hits the loudspeaker elelements? If so will the room correction be done in the DSP-75 and crossowers in the digital domain in the Crown? What with the costom JBL speaker curves, in the DSP- 75 or the crown? What kind of connections is used? Doing it this in theory how many M2s with crowns could be connected at once on an 32 channel DSP-75. 32 or 16 other numbers? Any downsides such implementation other than price (and fan noise that is a non issue whit a separate cinema engine room) of the amps?

Kind regards
Dartw

Last edited by Dartw; 07-25-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #466 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Quite simply, if you don't have JBL Synthesis speakers, then you will want an Altitude.
If you do have JBL Synthesis speakers, do I take it then that the SDP-75 will offer you something that the Trinnov is unable to do?

For sale: 2 Mackie c300z speakers, Tag Mclaren av32r preamplifier
post #467 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
If you do have JBL Synthesis speakers, do I take it then that the SDP-75 will offer you something that the Trinnov is unable to do?

The SDP-75 has all the anechoic data and settings for Harman speakers JBL M2, LSR 7 series etc.
appelz likes this.
post #468 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
The SDP-75 has all the anechoic data and settings for Harman speakers JBL M2, LSR 7 series etc.
By this, I assume you mean the crossover settings that I already have loaded up into my crown dci amps?

post #469 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartw View Post
A question for the experts on JBL setups using the DSP-75. If you have a JBL M2s and and one Crown® I-Tech 5000HD per speaker is it possible to connect this setup digitally all the way with DSP-75? Ie only one DA convertion before the music hits the loudspeaker elelements? If so will the room correction be done in the DSP-75 and crossowers in the digital domain in the Crown? What with the costom JBL speaker curves, in the DSP- 75 or the crown? What kind of connections is used? Doing it this in theory how many M2s with crowns could be connected at once on an 32 channel DSP-75. 32 or 16 other numbers? Any downsides such implementation other than price (and fan noise that is a non issue whit a separate cinema engine room) of the amps?

Kind regards
Dartw
Hi Dartw,

You can connect the I-tech amp to the SDP-75 digitally. 1x110ohm XLR cable will suffice for both speakers, I had mine built by Markertek and they work just fine. Everything should be implemented digitally with the DA conversion done by the amp then sent to the speakers. As for the crossovers you could implement it with the SDP, or have the amp. I would let the amp implement the filters this way you need only 1 digital channel per M2.

The custom curves are only for speakers like the 705/708i (not the P), M2. This enables you to choose any amp you want to power the speakers, the downside is that you would need 2 output channels per speaker from the SDP.

Right now the limit for the Trinnov and SDP is either 16 digital channels and no analog or 8 digital channels and up to 24 analog ( depending on how many channels you bought)

Hope this helps!
post #470 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Hi Dartw,

You can connect the I-tech amp to the SDP-75 digitally. 1x110ohm XLR cable will suffice for both speakers, I had mine built by Markertek and they work just fine. Everything should be implemented digitally with the DA conversion done by the amp then sent to the speakers. As for the crossovers you could implement it with the SDP, or have the amp. I would let the amp implement the filters this way you need only 1 digital channel per M2.

The custom curves are only for speakers like the 705/708i (not the P), M2. This enables you to choose any amp you want to power the speakers, the downside is that you would need 2 output channels per speaker from the SDP.

Right now the limit for the Trinnov and SDP is either 16 digital channels and no analog or 8 digital channels and up to 24 analog ( depending on how many channels you bought)

Hope this helps!
Thansk for the reply forin!

If you connect SDP-75 digitally will the Optimizer be possible to use in the digital domain even if the PEQ and cross overs are done in an I-tech amp?
post #471 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Thansk for the reply forin!

If you connect SDP-75 digitally will the Optimizer be possible to use in the digital domain even if the PEQ and cross overs are done in an I-tech amp?
Everything on the SDP side should be handled digitally. I have not used the I-tech amps but I would bet they use FIR/IIR filters for the crossovers, which would be done digitally.
post #472 of 545 Old 07-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Everything on the SDP side should be handled digitally. I have not used the I-tech amps but I would bet they use FIR/IIR filters for the crossovers, which would be done digitally.
Thanks again for the info!
post #473 of 545 Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question to the SDP-75 owners about firmware updates. Is it typical to get firmware updates around the same time as the Trinnov, or does it typically take longer to see it reach the SDP-75? I ask in relation to the anticipated dts-x pro update for later this year.

Thanks!
SOWK likes this.

post #474 of 545 Old 08-03-2019, 01:45 PM

Is this solution for extending number of channels available for the JBL version of this beast?

https://www.trinnov.com/altitude-48ext/
pennynike1 likes this.
post #475 of 545 Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
3D Audio Consultant

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Is this solution for extending number of channels available for the JBL version of this beast?

https://www.trinnov.com/altitude-48ext/
Yes. Sdp-75 users will be able to use the Trinnov 48ext to add more channels.

Cheers, Curt
RUR and pennynike1 like this.

Curt Hoyt
3D Audio Design & Tuning Services
CEDIA 2017 Best Home Cinema Level IV - (3D audio consulting- see profile)
post #476 of 545 Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
3D Audio Consultant

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
Question to the SDP-75 owners about firmware updates. Is it typical to get firmware updates around the same time as the Trinnov, or does it typically take longer to see it reach the SDP-75? I ask in relation to the anticipated dts-x pro update for later this year.

Thanks!
They come at same time. Both Altitude and SDP are fully supported through the release candidate process leading up to release.
pennynike1 likes this.

Curt Hoyt
3D Audio Design & Tuning Services
CEDIA 2017 Best Home Cinema Level IV - (3D audio consulting- see profile)
post #477 of 545 Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pros on Preppong Films for Home Theater

Good thing Dr. Toole is involved!

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/post...T=905118524236
post #478 of 545 Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
^^^

Did you miss any JBL threads with this post?

It’s an interesting back story regarding concept and application but I can’t see where it is product specific.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #479 of 545 Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
^^^

Did you miss any JBL threads with this post? It’s an interesting back story regarding concept and application but I can’t see where it is product specific.
No, I tried to hit them all. I feel most folks on the threads I posted on would be interested because they are interested in audio for home theater and are familiar with Dr. Toole's work.

I spoke with him about this issue recently and was simply trying to let people know about the work that is going on to improve audio for video. Problems exist in commercial theaters and mixes for home theater.

It is not product specific, thus I felt it was good info to post in threads where people might be interested. Sorry, it seems like it bothers you, not sure why. Maybe I should have just started a new thread.
post #480 of 545 Old 08-06-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
You missed the cheap JBL threads.

What you stated was exactly what would have been useful to the masses. - Starting a new thread.

This just seems like another appearance.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page