Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1736Likes

post #3301 of 4906 Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 5734
I have something else going for me if I do buy a Terra Server. My Kaleidescape dealer sold me the rest of my system 18 months ago so getting a Terra bought, installed, and configured should be pretty simple, except for the expense of course. Anyway, thanks to all of you who took the time to provide your thoughts about what I am thinking about doing. Will report if I make the move and buy a Terra Server.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I have something else going for me if I do buy a Terra Server. My Kaleidescape dealer sold me the rest of my system 18 months ago so getting a Terra bought, installed, and configured should be pretty simple, except for the expense of course. Anyway, thanks to all of you who took the time to provide your thoughts about what I am thinking about doing. Will report if I make the move and buy a Terra Server.
Anther vote of confidence for the Strato/Terra combination. Works seamlessly and I love the instant access to a huge library of movies.
gwsat and Montucky like this.
post #3303 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
You know you're going to have to get a PJ and a jumbo screen to go with that Terra Server, right?

That's the problem with me and A/V though. It's constantly that whole "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieRAV View Post
Anther vote of confidence for the Strato/Terra combination. Works seamlessly and I love the instant access to a huge library of movies.
I counted and saw that I have more than 300 films in my Kscape library. I also buy a lot of newly released films, most of then in UHD HDR quality, so somethings gotta give

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
You know you're going to have to get a PJ and a jumbo screen to go with that Terra Server, right?

That's the problem with me and A/V though. It's constantly that whole "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" scenario.
I ate out of the projector sack back in the SD days. I got my first one in the '70s and another in the mid '80s. Both were Henry Kloss designs. I found returning to the brighter, albeit smaller, standard displays preferable to projectors and have stuck with them ever since. My 75 inch Sony 940D, viewed from a distance of 9 feet, has been more than satisfactory.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #3305 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ate out of the projector sack back in the SD days. I got my first one in the '70s and another in the mid '80s. Both were Henry Kloss designs. I found returning to the brighter, albeit smaller, standard displays preferable to projectors and have stuck with them ever since. My 75 inch Sony 940D, viewed from a distance of 9 feet, has been more than satisfactory.
Haha. I'm just messing with ya. Although you know how us AV geeks and upgrades are. I absolutely love that 75" X940D. Fantastic screen that has served me VERY well as my "living room" display at my store. It is quite a nice match for the Strato.
gwsat likes this.
post #3306 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The Strato C with Terra Service is a great combo! I'm going to add a Strato C to every TV in the house. It's just awesome!

Question for the Disc Vault: I have a large collection of 3D movies, which I cannot get on the K-store. Can I have a Disc Vault in my rack and then stream it to another location with the Co-Star or does the Disc Vault need to be next to playback TV? Looking at the video, it seemed like the latter, but that seems very ineffective, so I wanted to clarify. Thanks!

Abstract yourself!
post #3307 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
The Strato C with Terra Service is a great combo! I'm going to add a Strato C to every TV in the house. It's just awesome!

Question for the Disc Vault: I have a large collection of 3D movies, which I cannot get on the K-store. Can I have a Disc Vault in my rack and then stream it to another location with the Co-Star or does the Disc Vault need to be next to playback TV? Looking at the video, it seemed like the latter, but that seems very ineffective, so I wanted to clarify. Thanks!
How are you planning on using the Disc Vault? With Encore/Alto or Premier components? I'm pretty sure you can't play 3D movies via an Alto/Encore. Never tried it, but taking a quick look at the Alto specs, 3D is not even mentioned. I normally play 3Ds from my normal bluray player and not via Alto/Disk Vault.

The disc vault connects in the same way as a Terra (for Encore systems). Just has an Ethernet connection and can be located anywhere on your network.

Last edited by SJHT; 01-05-2018 at 03:13 PM.
post #3308 of 4906 Old 01-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

None of the Kaleidescape players can play 3D so you’re out of luck on this.

Last edited by jtjjen; 01-05-2018 at 05:45 PM.
post #3309 of 4906 Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
"The Prestige" UHD/HDR upgrade is available(also as a digital upgrade) at K's UK STORE.
This is the only Nolan movie that will not be available(for the time being) in UHD/HDR at K's US store as in the UK distribution rights for this movie are with Warner Bros and not with Disney(USA).

Trinnov Altitude 32 & Amplitude*2 - Sony VW-5000ES - Panamorph Paladin DCR- Lumagen Radiance Pro 4449 - Screen Research 173" ClearPix 4K White 1.0 - Wisdom Audio speakers: L8i (LCR) - P6i (SL, SR) -P4i (SBL, SBR - LW, RW(wide for Atmos)) - 6* B&W CCM7.4 (Ceiling Atmos) - Paradigm SUB2 - Kaleidescape Encore & Premiere - Oppo 205 - SKY Q - PS4 Pro - XBOX X - Apple TV 4K - Roku 4 Ultra - Technics MK2 SL-1200GAE Limited Edition
post #3310 of 4906 Old 01-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjjen View Post
None of the Kaleidescape players can play 3D so you’re out of luck on this.
Whaaatt! Well, I just assumed... wow. Regular Blu-Ray Player it shall be for my venerable 3D collection. Glad I asked. Thanks!

Abstract yourself!
post #3311 of 4906 Old 01-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Whaaatt! Well, I just assumed... wow. Regular Blu-Ray Player it shall be for my venerable 3D collection. Glad I asked. Thanks!
I sprung for the HD version of The Prestige from the Kscape store. For some reason, when I was buying digital rights from Vudu for all of my disks for which they were available, Vudu would not accept my The Prestige DVD. Anyway, I have now bought the film in HD quality from Kscape in hopes that the UHD HDR quality version will someday find its way into the Kscape store. In the meantime, I too will enjoy what I have bought. The Prestige is another great Christopher Nolan film.

post #3312 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telem View Post
"The Prestige" UHD/HDR upgrade is available(also as a digital upgrade) at K's UK STORE.
This is the only Nolan movie that will not be available(for the time being) in UHD/HDR at K's US store as in the UK distribution rights for this movie are with Warner Bros and not with Disney(USA).
Does anybody know if a VPN service like Tunnelbear could help us get around that? Kind of like how VPNs can help get different Netflix content, or help our UK or Canadians friend watch US content on Hulu and the like.

The international distribution rights are baffling. Kind of like how many Disney films were forever stuck in "the Vault" here in the states, but I'd see the DVDs of them when I was in Europe.

Many of us willing to pay properly for content, but its tough when they literally make it unavailable to legally obtain! I suppose this is a topic that's been round and round, though.
post #3313 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 AM

I drank another big gulp of Kscape Kool-Aid yesterday and ordered a 24 TB Terra Movie Server from my friendly local Kscape dealer. He says he should receive it and get it installed within the next week or so. Will report further when the job is done. Could have saved some money by buying the 10 TB Terra server but remembered something an old law partner used to say and ordered the 24 TB version: "If you are gonna be a fella' be a hell of a fella'!"

The upside to dealing with a high end AV outfit who handles high end brands like Kscape, is that I can rely on the job being done right and not having to get my hands dirty in the process. It's funny how the older I have become, how much more impact this aspect of making any upgrade to my home theater has had on my buying decisions.

post #3314 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I drank another big gulp of Kscape Kool-Aid yesterday and ordered a 24 TB Terra Movie Server from my friendly local Kscape dealer. He says he should receive it and get it installed within the next week or so. Will report further when the job is done. Could have saved some money by buying the 10 TB Terra server but remembered something an old law partner used to say and ordered the 24 TB version: "If you are gonna be a fella' be a hell of a fella'!".
Good call going for the 24!!! You would've have ultimately regretted the 10 since you would be dealing with your current issue sooner than later. Even with the price difference, the 24 is a far better value if you look at price per Terabyte.

You're going to love your new server. Make sure to post up your thoughts after you get it up and running!
post #3315 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Good call going for the 24!!! You would've have ultimately regretted the 10 since you would be dealing with your current issue sooner than later. Even with the price difference, the 24 is a far better value if you look at price per Terabyte.

You're going to love your new server. Make sure to post up your thoughts after you get it up and running!
Yeah, long before I decided to spring for a Kaleidescape Terra server, I realized that the 24 TB version was a far better bargain per TB than the 10 TB version (if anyone in his right mind could ever use the word "bargain" in the same sentence with the word "Kaleidescape.")

I will indeed post my impressions of my upgraded system once it it up and running.

post #3316 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Does anybody know if a VPN service like Tunnelbear could help us get around that? Kind of like how VPNs can help get different Netflix content, or help our UK or Canadians friend watch US content on Hulu and the like.

The international distribution rights are baffling. Kind of like how many Disney films were forever stuck in "the Vault" here in the states, but I'd see the DVDs of them when I was in Europe.

Many of us willing to pay properly for content, but its tough when they literally make it unavailable to legally obtain! I suppose this is a topic that's been round and round, though.
Yes and it's very easy. Just turn on the UK VPN tunnel before connecting to the store. It will immediately take you to the UK K store/content where the only thing that you will need to do if you wish to buy/upgrade a movie is to enter a UK address(totally random one) and your credit card.

Trinnov Altitude 32 & Amplitude*2 - Sony VW-5000ES - Panamorph Paladin DCR- Lumagen Radiance Pro 4449 - Screen Research 173" ClearPix 4K White 1.0 - Wisdom Audio speakers: L8i (LCR) - P6i (SL, SR) -P4i (SBL, SBR - LW, RW(wide for Atmos)) - 6* B&W CCM7.4 (Ceiling Atmos) - Paradigm SUB2 - Kaleidescape Encore & Premiere - Oppo 205 - SKY Q - PS4 Pro - XBOX X - Apple TV 4K - Roku 4 Ultra - Technics MK2 SL-1200GAE Limited Edition
post #3317 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I hope the Kscape US store soon gets the UHD HDR quality version of The Prestige too. As noted in an earlier post, I bought the 1080P HD quality version of the film in hopes that this would happen soon.

Would also love to see Christopher Nolan's Memento (2000) show up at the Kscape store too. Fortunately, I do have the 10th Anniversary Special Edition of the 1080P BD, which I bought when it came out. According to Blu-ray.com, a copy now costs $55.95. Don't know what caused that. I would have thought that copies would still be being made. Obviously not, though.

post #3318 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I hope the Kscape US store soon gets the UHD HDR quality version of The Prestige too. As noted in an earlier post, I bought the 1080P HD quality version of the film in hopes that this would happen soon.

Would also love to see Christopher Nolan's Memento (2000) show up at the Kscape store too. Fortunately, I do have the 10th Anniversary Special Edition of the 1080P BD, which I bought when it came out. According to Blu-ray.com, a copy now costs $55.95. Don't know what caused that. I would have thought that copies would still be being made. Obviously not, though.
This won't happen until Disney starts providing UHD movies to the US store. In the meantime, you can always catalogue your BD disk with your Strato and then use a VPN service to access K's UK store. Simply add any UK address, your credit card, upgrade with the digital offer and download the UHD/HDR version of Prestige from there to your new Terra! It will go straight to your system no questions asked. You may also find other movies as well that are not available in the US Store.

I agree about Memento, I only have the DVD unfortunately......

post #3319 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Yeah, long before I decided to spring for a Kaleidescape Terra server, I realized that the 24 TB version was a far better bargain per TB than the 10 TB version (if anyone in his right mind could ever use the word "bargain" in the same sentence with the word "Kaleidescape.")

I will indeed post my impressions of my upgraded system once it it up and running.
What is the 10 TB version? You mean the 40 TB version with 4 10TB drives? Or maybe this was an older model. Thanks. SJ
post #3320 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
What is the 10 TB version? You mean the 40 TB version with 4 10TB drives? Or maybe this was an older model. Thanks. SJ
I suspect that he refers to a single 10GB Strato player.

post #3321 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4453 Post(s)
Liked: 3230
Quote:
if anyone in his right mind could ever use the word "bargain" in the same sentence with the word "Kaleidescape."
That's a classic. Too funny.
gwsat likes this.
post #3322 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I suspect that he refers to a single 10GB Strato player.
There is a 10TB Strato and according to an MSRP list on the K User Forum, there is 12TB and a 24TB server.
gwsat likes this.
post #3323 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Woops. Good catch. Perhaps he meant the 12TB model which is an older SKU. If I'm not mistaken, the options are now in 24TB and 40TB flavors, which makes a ton more sense than the old 12.
post #3324 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Woops. Good catch. Perhaps he meant the 12TB model which is an older SKU. If I'm not mistaken, the options are now in 24TB and 40TB flavors, which makes a ton more sense than the old 12.
So what is the MSRP of the 40TB version?
post #3325 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
That's a classic. Too funny.
Haha. Yup. Sig worthy for sure.

That said, it's the difference between living in the projects (VHS collections) and a mansion (K). Perhaps Netflix is somewhere in the middle like suburbia. Haha. Tons out there for an affordable price but tons of traffic and other compromises. K is for when you the want the best of the best...except when the studios deem us undeserving of Atmos.

Speaking of Netflix, I was reminded the other day of why I've come to get so annoyed by it at times. My toddler was begging to watch Bob the Builder the other day. I was like, sure, no problem. We had it in the kid's section of Netflix. Well, nope. I guess that license had expired and it was longer there. I revisited my queue and evidently a bunch of my shows and movies have gone missing. Whereas my physical discs and now Kscape movies are ALWAYS there. So nice to know we can count on something in this increasingly streaming world.
post #3326 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess that license had expired and it was longer there. I revisited my queue and evidently a bunch of my shows and movies have gone missing. Whereas my physical discs and now Kscape movies are ALWAYS there. So nice to know we can count on something in this increasingly streaming world.
Well certainly physical discs will be around for quite some time, as will streaming. We can only hope and pray that Kaleidescape will ALWAYS be around. It appears some time that some of the studios just wish that Kaleidescape would just go away!!
post #3327 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So what is the MSRP of the 40TB version?
$12,995 last I checked. Slightly less per TB than the 24, but pretty boss indeed. Personally, I'm happy with the 24 and I'll probably toss in another 24 when I run out of room for a total of 48TB. That or maybe I'll sell the 24 and swap it with a 40 at that point, which might make more sense. I'll quite literally be selling a car to make that happen (one I wouldn't want anymore anyway), but oh the sacrifices us A/V geeks have to make sometimes.
gwsat and telem like this.
post #3328 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
but oh the sacrifices us A/V geeks have to make sometimes.
Another "truism".
post #3329 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well certainly physical discs will be around for quite some time, as will streaming. We can only hope and pray that Kaleidescape will ALWAYS be around. It appears some time that some of the studios just wish that Kaleidescape would just go away!!
You are right on all points. Streaming definitely isn't going anywhere, but unfortunately licensing rights can come and go as studios and distributors see fit.
gwsat likes this.
post #3330 of 4906 Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I had read about a 10 TB Terra server but there was some confusion over whether it had been discontinued. My Kscape dealer, however, mentioned that I could get the 10 TB version instead of the 24 TB if I wanted. I decided to stick with the 24 TB version, though, because it seemed to be a much better value. Had not heard of a Terra Server with 40 TB of storage.

P.S. Thanks to @audioguy and @Montucky I now know that there is indeed a 40 TB version of the Terra server as well as a 12 TB version.

Last edited by gwsat; 01-09-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page