A slightly different view of the Apple TV.
I loved my K-Scape system but sold it and moved to the Apple TV. I DON'T stream movies from Apple or anyone else. I have ripped all of my movies (BR and 4K/HDR) via MakeMKV and watch via an app called Infuse. Zero compression of either audio or video. If the video from the ATV is not as good as it is from my Oppo (or K-Scape), it is most certainly not instantly obvious. And, no, I don't have a $60K Sony projector that might show up differences. Major
shortcoming at the moment: no 3D audio (Atmos or DTS:X). It is delivered as PCM
Those have to be played from the NAS through my Oppo. Hopefully Apple will address that but if not, there are a couple of other products that should be available in the next 3 to 6 months to deal with that short coming.
Is the interface and feature set as slick as the K interface? Not even close. But way more than adequate.
But here is what I do have:
(1) Shiny discs backup for all the movies I buy. I lost access to all I had purchased from the K Store other than with some digital rights that only provided lossy viewing for some of the titles
(2) Way less expensive cost per movie
(3) The most current sound track available upon initial release of the movie
(4) Timely access to 100% of the movies released ------- with no delay - both BR and 4K/HDR
(5) Total system cost is about 1/8th of the K system.
I am not suggesting what I have put together is the same as a Kaleidescape system. BUT, I am 100% disc-less, fully automated, and fully backed up (NAS plus backup). All of the above notwithstanding, if K had addressed number (4), or could promise eventual delivery of a solution, AND addressed the second half of number (1), I would still be a customer.