Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1736Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3961 of 4906 Old 08-21-2018, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Just a heads up that if you want to give your display a great HDR work out, then check out Ready Player One. Bought it a few days back from the K store and man. All I have to say is that if there was any justification for 4K or HDR, this is it. Even if you end up not being a fan of the movie, I can't tell you how much I appreciated the color depth in the darker scenes, which this movie has a lot of. So much clarity. I actually did enjoy the movie immensely, though. I'll admit it's probably not for everybody, but I had a good time. Glad I didn't rent it from one of the streaming services like I was initially tempted to do. This is one I'll be watching over and over to try and catch all the little details they crammed into this movie, which is actually one of the largest complaints about it. I find it gives it some great replay value, though.

This does bring me to a new topic I'd like to discuss, though. What films have YOU all seen on your Kaleidescape systems that shows off 4K/HDR the most blatantly?
Montucky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3962 of 4906 Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Just a heads up that if you want to give your display a great HDR work out, then check out Ready Player One. Bought it a few days back from the K store and man. All I have to say is that if there was any justification for 4K or HDR, this is it. Even if you end up not being a fan of the movie, I can't tell you how much I appreciated the color depth in the darker scenes, which this movie has a lot of. So much clarity. I actually did enjoy the movie immensely, though. I'll admit it's probably not for everybody, but I had a good time. Glad I didn't rent it from one of the streaming services like I was initially tempted to do. This is one I'll be watching over and over to try and catch all the little details they crammed into this movie, which is actually one of the largest complaints about it. I find it gives it some great replay value, though.

This does bring me to a new topic I'd like to discuss, though. What films have YOU all seen on your Kaleidescape systems that shows off 4K/HDR the most blatantly?
I would agree with Ready Player One, the race scene with Kong is excellent for audio also.
kaotikr1 is offline  
post #3963 of 4906 Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
bjorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Ready Player One is pure eye-candy in 4K/HDR. However, having seen it in 3D when it came out, I can only say that if there is one recent movie that had to be seen in 3D to fully capture the director's intent, it's Ready Player One. Fascinatingly, Spielberg decided to accentuate the 3D depth during the virtual reality scenes, which made them really pop, especially when compared to scenes outside the Oasis. In a way, it was quite reminiscent of how The Matrix provided a different experience between its virtual reality and reality scenes. As someone of the minority who mourn the loss of home 3D, Ready Player One is a shining example of what could have been. Of course, I'd like my cake and eat it too: 4K+3D+ATMOS!!! Oh yes that would be glorious!
A7mad78 likes this.

Abstract yourself!
bjorg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3964 of 4906 Old 09-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Member
 
telem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I had pre-ordered Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on June 22nd for $29.99. Recently and as the price was high compared to other NBCUniversal releases I checked again and the price had dropped $5 at $24.99. I canceled my June 22nd order and pre-ordered again for $24.99. Movie will be released from K early on Sept 3rd, so if you have pre-ordered for $29.99 you can simply cancel and order again.

Trinnov Altitude 32 & Amplitude*2 - Sony VW-5000ES - Panamorph Paladin DCR- Lumagen Radiance Pro 4449 - Screen Research 173" ClearPix 4K White 1.0 - Wisdom Audio speakers: L8i (LCR) - P6i (SL, SR) -P4i (SBL, SBR - LW, RW(wide for Atmos)) - 6* B&W CCM7.4 (Ceiling Atmos) - Paradigm SUB2 - Kaleidescape Encore & Premiere - Oppo 205 - SKY Q - PS4 Pro - XBOX X - Apple TV 4K - Roku 4 Ultra - Technics MK2 SL-1200GAE Limited Edition

Last edited by telem; 09-02-2018 at 06:03 AM.
telem is offline  
post #3965 of 4906 Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by telem View Post
I had pre-ordered Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom on June 22nd for $29.99. Recently and as the price was high compared to other NBCUniversal releases I checked again and the price had dropped $5 at $24.99. I canceled my June 22nd order and pre-ordered again for $24.99. Movie will be released from K early on Sept 3rd, so if you have pre-ordered for $29.99 you can simply cancel and order again.
Jurrasic Fallen is a DTS X film - K is offering in DTS - Bummer...
Ash Sharma is online now  
post #3966 of 4906 Old 09-02-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 20,939
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Jurrasic Fallen is a DTS X film - K is offering in DTS - Bummer...
Yep, the lack of lossless 7.2.4 audio makes the Kscape version of Fallen Kingdom a pass for me too. Bummer, indeed!
llang269 likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #3967 of 4906 Old 09-03-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yep, the lack of lossless 7.2.4 audio makes the Kscape version of Fallen Kingdom a pass for me too. Bummer, indeed!
Disappointed with K - I ordered Fallen 4K Disc and Digital with Vudu.
Tonight I got the streaming version 4K HDR 10 Dolby Vision ATMOS of the movie.
The disc as per Blu Ray.com will be 4K HDR 10 Dolby Vision DTS X
So with this order I get both ATMOS and DTS X versions and Dolby Vision and HDR10.
The audio part is confusing as how come VUDU can offer ATMOS but the disc is with DTS X??
The price a little higher than K - Not sure How K can compete with this..
Aareses likes this.
Ash Sharma is online now  
post #3968 of 4906 Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steelman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,740
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Disappointed with K - I ordered Fallen 4K Disc and Digital with Vudu.
Tonight I got the streaming version 4K HDR 10 Dolby Vision ATMOS of the movie.
The disc as per Blu Ray.com will be 4K HDR 10 Dolby Vision DTS X
So with this order I get both ATMOS and DTS X versions and Dolby Vision and HDR10.
The audio part is confusing as how come VUDU can offer ATMOS but the disc is with DTS X??
The price a little higher than K - Not sure How K can compete with this..
Yeah a pet peeve of mine and others for some time now and there's no point in trying to get answers from Kaleidescape, as they just "circle the wagons" and blame the studios for not giving them the assets? I have asked on several occasions for an explanation of why this should be the case - whether the Kaleidescape system has a proprietary file structure which differs from that of commercially pressed media, but the question is never answered - very frustrating. The list of media without immersive audio - steadily grows and few of the titles are ever updated to provide the same audio as disc releases.
llang269 and Aareses like this.

Last edited by steelman1991; 09-03-2018 at 11:34 PM.
steelman1991 is online now  
post #3969 of 4906 Old 09-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Aareses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Disappointed with K - I ordered Fallen 4K Disc and Digital with Vudu.
Tonight I got the streaming version 4K HDR 10 Dolby Vision ATMOS of the movie.
The disc as per Blu Ray.com will be 4K HDR 10 Dolby Vision DTS X
So with this order I get both ATMOS and DTS X versions and Dolby Vision and HDR10.
The audio part is confusing as how come VUDU can offer ATMOS but the disc is with DTS X??
The price a little higher than K - Not sure How K can compete with this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Yeah a pet peeve of mine and others for some time now and there's no point in trying to get answers from Kaleidescape, as they just "circle the wagons" and blame the studios for not giving them the assets? I have asked on several occasions for an explanation of why this should be the case - whether the Kaleidescape system has a proprietary file structure which differs from that of commercially pressed media, but the question is never answered - very frustrating. The list of media without immersive audio - steadily grows and few of the titles are ever updated to provide the same audio as disc releases.
Exactly! One of the huge advantages of modern day movie purchases is to have an Ultraviolet and or Movies Anywhere digital copy so you're pretty much guaranteed to always own the movie, despite if a company goes out of business or a disc becomes lost, stolen or damaged.

Unfortunately, Kaleidescape cannot always provide one of those digital copies. When they can, the audio or video is not always the original (highest) quality of that title. On the rare instances a UV or MA digital copy is provided in the highest quality audio and video, the price is almost always significantly higher on the Kaleidescape Store.

While I'm willing to pay a bit more for an early release with digital rights in the highest audio and video quality, I rarely purchase from the K-Store due to these issues. The large majority of movies do not fall into these categories. I have always and am still pulling for Kaleidescape in a big way, but they really need to fix these issues if they want to be competitive selling their version of a "digital copy".

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Aareses is offline  
post #3970 of 4906 Old 09-04-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Exactly! One of the huge advantages of modern day movie purchases is to have an Ultraviolet and or Movies Anywhere digital copy so you're pretty much guaranteed to always own the movie, despite if a company goes out of business or a disc becomes lost, stolen or damaged.

Unfortunately, Kaleidescape cannot always provide one of those digital copies. When they can, the audio or video is not always the original (highest) quality of that title. On the rare instances a UV or MA digital copy is provided in the highest quality audio and video, the price is almost always significantly higher on the Kaleidescape Store.

While I'm willing to pay a bit more for an early release with digital rights in the highest audio and video quality, I rarely purchase from the K-Store due to these issues. The large majority of movies do not fall into these categories. I have always and am still pulling for Kaleidescape in a big way, but they really need to fix these issues if they want to be competitive selling their version of a "digital copy".
In this case I paid more for the movie - so price was not a consideration - the immersive audio is missing which is unacceptable.
Ash Sharma is online now  
post #3971 of 4906 Old 09-05-2018, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 798
anyone notice the original strato and the Alto are now missing from Kaleidescape’s website update?
madhuski is offline  
post #3972 of 4906 Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I assume the answer is yet..but wanted to check. Is there a display option for the menus, movie wall, etc that can be set for a projector with an anamorphic screen so nothing is lost vs 16:9?

I don't really like talking about my flair
barhoram is offline  
post #3973 of 4906 Old 09-05-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steelman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,740
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
anyone notice the original strato and the Alto are now missing from Kaleidescape’s website update?
Wonder if there is a Strato with a disc spinner coming
steelman1991 is online now  
post #3974 of 4906 Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I assume the answer is yet..but wanted to check. Is there a display option for the menus, movie wall, etc that can be set for a projector with an anamorphic screen so nothing is lost vs 16:9?
I believe the answer is yes. Although this is an older doc, I'm sure they have the same feature in the Encore line: https://www.kaleidescape.com/wp-cont...inemascape.pdf
Montucky is offline  
post #3975 of 4906 Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Wonder if there is a Strato with a disc spinner coming
I wouldn't hold my breath. Last time I asked the guys at K, I think I remember them telling me that wasn't part of the plan. I REALLY wish we could get that, but alas. They've pretty much entirely switched gears toward the K store and going discless. I can understand the reasoning for sure, but it would've been nice to have since often times the physical discs are the only way to get 4K HDR + Atmos/DTS:X, etc.
Montucky is offline  
post #3976 of 4906 Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steelman1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,740
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. Last time I asked the guys at K, I think I remember them telling me that wasn't part of the plan. I REALLY wish we could get that, but alas. They've pretty much entirely switched gears toward the K store and going discless. I can understand the reasoning for sure, but it would've been nice to have since often times the physical discs are the only way to get 4K HDR + Atmos/DTS:X, etc.
Yeah that was the rumblings in the past - though this post http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/s...62&postcount=4 appeared pretty much out of the blue on Kscape owners. Whether Cinelife has the inside track or not remains to be seen, but it is being seen by some to hint at the introduction of a 'spinner'. Perhaps it is something and nothing, or a capitulation that some studios are choosing not to join K or choose not to provide the full assets for digital release - immersive audio for example.

Speculation I know - but time will tell.
steelman1991 is online now  
post #3977 of 4906 Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Member
 
MacTVJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I assume the answer is yet..but wanted to check. Is there a display option for the menus, movie wall, etc that can be set for a projector with an anamorphic screen so nothing is lost vs 16:9?
Yes. CinemaScape mode is fully supported on the Alto and Strato.
MacTVJunkie is offline  
post #3978 of 4906 Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTVJunkie View Post
Yes. CinemaScape mode is fully supported on the Alto and Strato.
So the Movie Wall, internal menus, setup screens, etc are able to be shown in Scope??

I don't really like talking about my flair
barhoram is offline  
post #3979 of 4906 Old 09-07-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
So the Movie Wall, internal menus, setup screens, etc are able to be shown in Scope??
That's my understanding of it, although I have no first hand experience as such. You could always ask your local dealer or just give Kaleidescape a quick call. They're usually super helpful with technical details and I'm sure will know the answer. Post up what you learn!
Montucky is offline  
post #3980 of 4906 Old 09-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Member
 
MacTVJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
So the Movie Wall, internal menus, setup screens, etc are able to be shown in Scope??
Yes. The OSD in CinemaScape mode is 2.37:1. There are actually two (well three, but we'll only discuss the 2 main ones) different CinemaScape modes.

CinemaScape Anamorphic causes the video output (both the Onscreen display and movie playback) from the Strato/Alto to be output as a 16:9 vertically stretched image. You use this mode if your projector has an actual anamorphic lens (internal or external) that will always be in use.

CinemaScape Letterbox causes the video output to be a 16:9 letterboxed image (so on a 21:9 or 2.35:1 screen, the output would look "postage stamped" (i.e. black bars on all 4 sides). You then zoom the image using your projector's lens to fill your screen.

The third mode is a hybrid mode that will letterbox content that should be 2.35:1 but output the full frame for 16:9 content. This mode is used with projectors that can dynamically zoom and unzoom the video image based on the reported aspect ratios.

In all three modes, the Kaleidescape interface (including all menus and detail sheets, etc) is presented in an ultra-widescreen aspect ratio assuming that you have your display device set up correctly.
MacTVJunkie is offline  
post #3981 of 4906 Old 09-07-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
barhoram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTVJunkie View Post
Yes. The OSD in CinemaScape mode is 2.37:1. There are actually two (well three, but we'll only discuss the 2 main ones) different CinemaScape modes.

CinemaScape Anamorphic causes the video output (both the Onscreen display and movie playback) from the Strato/Alto to be output as a 16:9 vertically stretched image. You use this mode if your projector has an actual anamorphic lens (internal or external) that will always be in use.

CinemaScape Letterbox causes the video output to be a 16:9 letterboxed image (so on a 21:9 or 2.35:1 screen, the output would look "postage stamped" (i.e. black bars on all 4 sides). You then zoom the image using your projector's lens to fill your screen.

The third mode is a hybrid mode that will letterbox content that should be 2.35:1 but output the full frame for 16:9 content. This mode is used with projectors that can dynamically zoom and unzoom the video image based on the reported aspect ratios.

In all three modes, the Kaleidescape interface (including all menus and detail sheets, etc) is presented in an ultra-widescreen aspect ratio assuming that you have your display device set up correctly.
Thanks. This is very helpful.

Which mode would you recommend for fixed scope screen, projector w no anamorphic lens..minimal zooming?

I don't really like talking about my flair
barhoram is offline  
post #3982 of 4906 Old 09-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Which mode would you recommend for fixed scope screen, projector w no anamorphic lens..minimal zooming?
I have the same setup as what you described and use CinemaScape Native 2.35 Display, which is described as "use with native 2.35 projectors that scale letterboxed images to fill the screen (without using an anamorphic lens)".

All the views take full advantage of the scope screen: Covers (a.k.a. the movie wall), List, Collections, and Movie Store.
MovieRAV is offline  
post #3983 of 4906 Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Saw this posted in other thread...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...l#post56772806

Spent a lot of time at the K booth with a sharp tech guy. Regarding ATMOS not showing up on 4K HDR titles - Fox and Universal are still holdouts, but they are close to an agreement. There will be no 4K disc player - end of that discussion. Played around with a beta copy of an app for iPhone. Very sweet. Lots of much needed sorting options. Big fan of these guys. They care!
MAttHEATLifer is offline  
post #3984 of 4906 Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 20,939
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
The UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Solo: A Star Wars Story is now available from the Kscape store for $33.99. Ordinarily I would not mind paying the price for the latest entry in a long running, successful, franchise. I hesitate in this case, though, because the TrueHD Atmos soundtracks on Disney movies have been uniformly disappointing. Would appreciate receiving insights from any of you who have downloaded and watched this title. Thanks in advance!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #3985 of 4906 Old 09-14-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,679
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Solo: A Star Wars Story is now available from the Kscape store for $33.99. Ordinarily I would not mind paying the price for the latest entry in a long running, successful, franchise. I hesitate in this case, though, because the TrueHD Atmos soundtracks on Disney movies have been uniformly disappointing. Would appreciate receiving insights from any of you who have downloaded and watched this title. Thanks in advance!
Well I don't know first hand, but I do find what this guy said in his review encouraging:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/s...wars-story-uhd
"Primary audio on the 4K disc is included in English Dolby Atmos, adapted from the theatrical mix. The reference level is set a little bit low, but the good news is that once you turn up the volume a bit, you’ve got a strong full range mix. This isn’t another of Disney’s typically audio-handicapped 4K releases. Bass is solid, with good reinforcement from the low end. It’s not as deep, thunderous, and punchy as some other 4K Atmos mixes, to be sure, but it should be noted that Solo’s theatrical mix wasn’t that way either. None of the new era Star Wars mixes have featured especially thunderous bass, so this is accurate to the theatrical experience. The soundstage is nicely big, wide, and constantly active, with smooth, accurate positioning and movement. The height channels kick in often, especially in set pieces, including the train heist, the battle on Kessel, and especially during the Kessel Run in the Falcon. John Williams’ new Han Solo theme sounds lovely, as does the rest of the score by John Powell"

I'm sure the version from the K store will be the same as what's on the Blu-Ray this time.
Montucky is offline  
post #3986 of 4906 Old 09-14-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 20,939
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
^^^ @Montucky -- Thanks for your prompt response to my inquiry. That was useful information. I'm sorry the overall audio level appears to be lower than the norm but now think I will spring for the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version of Solo from the Kscape store. If I do, I will report my impressions.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
gwsat is offline  
post #3987 of 4906 Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,127
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTVJunkie View Post
The third mode is a hybrid mode that will letterbox content that should be 2.35:1 but output the full frame for 16:9 content. This mode is used with projectors that can dynamically zoom and unzoom the video image based on the reported aspect ratios.

I have a quick question. What does "reported aspect ratios" mean in this context ?


Art
Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #3988 of 4906 Old 09-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Member
 
MacTVJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I have a quick question. What does "reported aspect ratios" mean in this context ?
When you play content on the Kaleidescape system, the control protocol emits a SCREEN_MASK (or CINEMASCAPE_MASK if in CinemaScape mode) message that external control systems can use to re-position masking systems (or zoom/unzoom projector images). One of the fields in this message reports the image ratio (e.g. "00" for "unknown", "01" for "1.33:1", "02" for "1.66:1", etc.
MacTVJunkie is offline  
post #3989 of 4906 Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,127
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTVJunkie View Post
When you play content on the Kaleidescape system, the control protocol emits a SCREEN_MASK (or CINEMASCAPE_MASK if in CinemaScape mode) message that external control systems can use to re-position masking systems (or zoom/unzoom projector images). One of the fields in this message reports the image ratio (e.g. "00" for "unknown", "01" for "1.33:1", "02" for "1.66:1", etc.

I have a Premiere and Strato the listed ARs are too frequently incorrect. The word reported is what I wanted defined.


Art
Art Sonneborn is offline  
post #3990 of 4906 Old 09-19-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 665
K Did the right thing offering Scario 2 in ATMOS UHD HDR - I promptly pre ordered it and had it available on 14th September much before the disc will arrive.
Today it got populated into my VUDU account in UHD and in Movies Anywhere 4k..and in iTunes as 4K Vision.
If all K titles arrived - early release - ATMOS - crosss platform rights ... I would buy every title from K even though they are more expensive than a Disc..
Spizz, gwsat, ccool96 and 1 others like this.
Ash Sharma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off