Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1747Likes

post #4351 of 4960 Old 02-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
What does 5G cellular have to do with it? I think it is more likely some new compression technology will be developed to allow streaming full res movies over WiFi. I think they are working on it in the show “Silicon Valley”.
5G tech will power homes in the near future. With the promised high speeds and low latency, buffering will be a thing of the past. I can see Vudu, for example, start to offer a bit for bit streaming service for a premium price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4960 Old 02-16-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 402
When higher quality bit rates come to Apple, VUDU, and such, I don’t think it will be at any premium or additional price. It’ll be a straight upgrade to existing content at existing prices, IMO. There’s no reason to charge more, and it will be a differentiator if one pushes quality and others don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #4353 of 4960 Old 02-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm007 View Post
Ultraviolet does not exist anymore

No UltraViolet right will be created, so the content may only be available through that retailer. ... The planned UltraViolet shutdown is on July 31, 2019. Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
I know about the looming UV Shutdown. My comment had nothing to do with that.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald has an Ultraviolet token. That token was initially offered on the Kaleidescape Store, but it was recently removed. I'm surprised no one else here noticed that.

I find it really disappointing that Kaleidescape is removing UV tokens from those titles which still clearly offer them. Those of you who purchase these type of titles on the Kaleidescape Store, should insist you get the UV rights as well.

Missing UV rights and/or the lack of Movie Anywhere rights is the biggest reason I'm not purchasing movies from Kaleidescape. If they shut the doors, you may not own the title anymore and have to repurchase it, which is counter-intuitive to why digital rights exist.
Wookii likes this.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
It has been stated by the CEO that the lack of MA is not driven by K (they love it), but by the complex MA onboarding process which prioritizes by customer base size. K is focused on the luxury market segment which is small compared to many others. I know we all want it NOW, but that is the reality. SJ
post #4355 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 2048
Bear in mind that MoviesAnywhere only helps customers in the US. Those in the rest of the world have no way to obtain digital rights with the death of UV.
post #4356 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4567 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
I finally watched and listened to a small part of an iTunes 4K/HDR Atmos movie (that I happen to also have on shiny disc). WAY WAY WAY better than I expected it to be. As a result, I no longer see the long term viability of the K-Scape model. Apple could crush them in a single blow if they were to either offer full bandwidth streaming OR continue on their quest for better compression algorithms. While there is no guarantee they will do either, I would not want to bet against it. And unlike Kaleidescape, Apple has LOTS of pull with the studios and so has access to virtually all movies and unlike K, the Apple version of the release always has the latest 3D audio if applicable.

There are still some features and functions on K that I absolutely love which Apple does not have which is still part of the K differentiation, but for the upfront price of the K hardware, upfront price of the K version of the movie, and now some restrictions of digital backups (protection if K goes "toes up"), K had better start thinking way outside the box. If I were part of the senior management of Kaleidescape, I would be approaching Apple and trying to figure out some way to either partner with them or have them buy K.
post #4357 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You may be right for mainstream, but their aim is the luxury market. Example, how are you going to run Apple TV on the 1000+ yachts out there with K systems? Also, I bet that K runs in areas without solid Internet services. Heck, even ours was down a few weeks back and it didn't interfere with our K system. I think we are likely the minority of their customer base at this time. For me the biggest bummer of ATV is the sound. Just doesn't at this time compare to full res stuff. Apple is likely never going to tailer an offering for the minority of their customers. Most of them are happy watching movies on their ipads. We will see what the future holds! SJ
post #4358 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
It has been stated by the CEO that the lack of MA is not driven by K (they love it), but by the complex MA onboarding process which prioritizes by customer base size. K is focused on the luxury market segment which is small compared to many others. I know we all want it NOW, but that is the reality. SJ
I have believed this statement for a while now and have been patiently waiting. When I see titles which clearly offer current Ultraviolet tokens that Kaleidescape has intentionally removed after initially offering it, it makes me seriously doubt their sincerity. UV and MA actually hurt Kaleidescape's sales significantly because they offer their titles at a much higher price point than you can purchase through a UV or MA retailer. Many customers have purchased the same titles with UV titles through online vendors such as Vudu and that title is then granted by the Kaleidescape store, who was asking twice as much.

Now that customer has the title on their "luxury" device for a fraction of the cost. Kaleidescape knows if they offer MA, their sales will decline, most likely substantially. They know their best bet is to not offer MA rights and for their customers to pray they do not shut the doors. When customers are demanding MA, but they know it will hurt their model, what else do you expect them to say? If they said they will not support MA, they would have an uprising. If they say they are working on MA, they can use that line for years, then say it just didn't work out.

When a current title is offered with UV rights and Kaleidescape initially offers that title with those UV rights, then later removes them, it speaks volumes to their intent.

I love my Kaleidescape and the experience it offers, by FAR the best out there. I purchased my Strato two years ago with the hope of ditching all my shiny discs and going strictly digital. I would have been willing to splurge for a Terra server as well. I built a pretty awesome theater in my standards and want to use it to its full potential with the highest quality immersive audio and video. Kaleidescape does a good job with most content, but much of their content does not have the highest quality audio and video, which makes me have to buy the shiny disc to get that bad ass experience I spent all the money building my theater to get.

Shortly after I purchased my Kaleidescape, they shut their doors although briefly, which really shook my confidence. I hope they stay around. I want them to stay around, but I'm just not sure they will. I am not willing to purchase hundreds of titles with no digital rights and then lose all my movies when my hardware or their servers cease to function. My family also uses our digital rights to play movies we have already seen in our theater, on their iPads and Apple TVs. They cannot do that without digital rights.

I truly love my Kaleidescape experience and hope they work out the issues, but when there is no progress on MA and UV is going away, it means 100% of all titles I will be buying are on a shiny disc, which completely defeats the purpose of owning my Strato for any new and future titles. It is super disappointing because I want them to succeed and I want to go fully digital.

With Kaleidescape's current model of CLEARLY pulling UV tokens from UV titles and not being able to offer ANY digital rights in the foreseeable future, it is becoming more clear what Kaleidescape's strategy truly is. That, combined with the lack of the highest quality audio and video on all titles, I am starting to feel like my Strato was a $4,500 mistake or at the very least, I just purchased it far too early.
ccool96, Wookii and ddsquire like this.

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #4359 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well stated! I’m maybe in the minority, but I feel that K should act like physical discs. When I decided to purchase the K full res same as disc version, I should receive a digital copy of the film just as I have in the past with physical discs. NOT the other way around. Meaning I shouldn’t purchase the movie on VUDU or elsewhere and expect I should be able to download the full res version same as disc from K for zero cost. I know many have saved by doing this but frankly not a long term business model. I’m sure they are looking at this. I HATE purchasing movies from K and then start the gripes from my family about not having the capability for watching digitally. In some cases I’ve had to purchase twice. Not good... Complicated topic for sure! SJ
JFR0317, gwsat and Aareses like this.
post #4360 of 4960 Old 02-17-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
I have believed this statement for a while now and have been patiently waiting. When I see titles which clearly offer current Ultraviolet tokens that Kaleidescape has intentionally removed after initially offering it, it makes me seriously doubt their sincerity.

While I agree with much of your comment on the present position and there is much to "beat" Kaleidescape with - but this certainly isn't one of them. AFAIK Kscape doesn't control the offer of UV at any stage of the process - it's the Studios/Distributors who make the decision on individual titles. Similarily so with their inclusion to MA - they can only be included if invited and so far they haven't. I am certain they are working feverishly behind the scenes to make this happen - whether it does or not is something I won't at this time be losing any sleep over.

Last edited by steelman1991; 02-17-2019 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Misread comment from SJHT
post #4361 of 4960 Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forget, then, who is at fault. But here are facts: The digital issue exists; other options/methodologies/technologies are getting better; even amongst loyal fans (notably here and elsewhere) some disgruntled existing customers are beginning to vocalize their concerns. Maybe not the owners of a luxury yacht but that is not a large enough customer base to keep K in business long term.

Short of my comment above about K approaching Apple, I have no answers but I am comfortable saying that K needs to get in front of this situation. And pointing fingers at whoever is not the answer.

Given their past, I doubt the senior management team would ever approach Apple. But a Bible verse from Proverbs does come to mind: "Pride comes before destruction". But .... if they could find some way to work together, (and in the process address this specific issue and some others), I would be the first to buy back in.

One can only hope !!
ccool96, llang269 and ddsquire like this.
post #4362 of 4960 Old 02-18-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I finally watched and listened to a small part of an iTunes 4K/HDR Atmos movie (that I happen to also have on shiny disc). WAY WAY WAY better than I expected it to be. As a result, I no longer see the long term viability of the K-Scape model. Apple could crush them in a single blow if they were to either offer full bandwidth streaming OR continue on their quest for better compression algorithms. While there is no guarantee they will do either, I would not want to bet against it. And unlike Kaleidescape, Apple has LOTS of pull with the studios and so has access to virtually all movies and unlike K, the Apple version of the release always has the latest 3D audio if applicable.

There are still some features and functions on K that I absolutely love which Apple does not have which is still part of the K differentiation, but for the upfront price of the K hardware, upfront price of the K version of the movie, and now some restrictions of digital backups (protection if K goes "toes up"), K had better start thinking way outside the box. If I were part of the senior management of Kaleidescape, I would be approaching Apple and trying to figure out some way to either partner with them or have them buy K.
Keep in mind, that the heads of many of those studios, the actors/directors/producers working for many of those studios, all have K systems. So I would imagine that K will do their best to ensure they can remain viable. But Apple, or any other streaming provider for that matter, can't offer full bandwidth streaming because ISPs need to first offer reliable bandwidth in the range needed to get to the quality offered by K.
steelman1991 likes this.
post #4363 of 4960 Old 02-18-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
That's probably the reason you're not seeing the difference to be honest. Your display is 5.3ft wide, and you're sitting 9Ft away from from it. You're literally just on the cusp of being able to see any difference between 1080p and 4k based on 20/20 vision (see chart below).

Ideally to see a difference you'd want to be one screen width or less away. I sit one screen width away from my screen, and I can just about differentiate the single black pixels on a single pixel 4K chequerboard test pattern.

based on your chart, there is almost no home situation that 8k would relevant for. i suspect that 8k will be more for gaming and VR applications? I’m guessing that projectors will become all 8k just because they can be. 8k i guess reaches our lifetime limit. what will there be left to advance in tv’s at that point? acoustically transparent tv screens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blazar!
post #4364 of 4960 Old 02-18-2019, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
Keep in mind, that the heads of many of those studios, the actors/directors/producers working for many of those studios, all have K systems. So I would imagine that K will do their best to ensure they can remain viable. But Apple, or any other streaming provider for that matter, can't offer full bandwidth streaming because ISPs need to first offer reliable bandwidth in the range needed to get to the quality offered by K.
I am no fortune teller. I have no idea about K's sales, P%L sheet or if Apple or anyone else is working on better compression algorithms. What I DO know, is that technology companies either improve and grow OR get worse, eventually going under if they don't figure out what they are doing. The "steady state" does not exist!
post #4365 of 4960 Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Xaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After hearing of UVs demise, I realized my desire to add a Kaleidescape to my rack needed to be expedited. I was told May 31st is the last day UV will be supported by K, but it sounds like some discs are already no longer supported?

And to add insult to injury, the dealer I spoke with locally yesterday has no idea there is a difference between the Strato S and older models, and is talking down to me in the most rude fashion. He didn’t even mention any of the issues with digital rights when he started on his routine discussion points, and only after I asked him about UVs demise did he even admit he was unsure about that future, or if UV is even still supported.
post #4366 of 4960 Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaj View Post
After hearing of UVs demise, I realized my desire to add a Kaleidescape to my rack needed to be expedited. I was told May 31st is the last day UV will be supported by K, but it sounds like some discs are already no longer supported?

And to add insult to injury, the dealer I spoke with locally yesterday has no idea there is a difference between the Strato S and older models, and is talking down to me in the most rude fashion. He didn’t even mention any of the issues with digital rights when he started on his routine discussion points, and only after I asked him about UVs demise did he even admit he was unsure about that future, or if UV is even still supported.
Whether you buy a Kaleidescape system or not, I would most assuredly find a new dealer.
post #4367 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post

More people have internet speeds for this than people give credit for. I have 600 Mbps service that routinely tests in the 450-500 range at the slowest. That’s more than enough to stream disc bit rate UHD. I also don’t have a data cap.

I am able to put a UHD disc rip into a cloud storage like Google Drive and play it bit for bit to my ATV via Infuse just fine with the lossless audio.

What Apple or whoever needs to do is just not make super high bit rate streaming the default option. Keep their current rates and just make a setting on the ATV device to opt in.

Another misconception I see is people thinking K gets something special from the studios. They all get super high bit rate masters and then just encode to the target file they offer to their customers. So, offering a higher bit rate or changing of a codec could be done by their choosing any time by Apple, Amazon, or VUDU. The next change coming soon is AV1, and I’m eager to see what the content players do with it.

My family wanted to watch Train Your Dragon 1/2 this week cause 3 is coming this weekend. Both are HDR on ATV. Neither is on K. Both are in my MA locker already in HD. I ended up upgrading my MA copies to HDR by buying HDR on VUDU which ported to my iTunes where we watched 1 so far.

Debated the K purchase but iTunes streaming HDR > disc bit rate HD. Bummer K is late getting these in HDR.

Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
post #4368 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
More people have internet speeds for this than people give credit for. I have 600 Mbps service that routinely tests in the 450-500 range at the slowest. That’s more than enough to stream disc bit rate UHD. I also don’t have a data cap.

I am able to put a UHD disc rip into a cloud storage like Google Drive and play it bit for bit to my ATV via Infuse just fine with the lossless audio.

What Apple or whoever needs to do is just not make super high bit rate streaming the default option. Keep their current rates and just make a setting on the ATV device to opt in.

Another misconception I see is people thinking K gets something special from the studios. They all get super high bit rate masters and then just encode to the target file they offer to their customers. So, offering a higher bit rate or changing of a codec could be done by their choosing any time by Apple, Amazon, or VUDU. The next change coming soon is AV1, and I’m eager to see what the content players do with it.

My family wanted to watch Train Your Dragon 1/2 this week cause 3 is coming this weekend. Both are HDR on ATV. Neither is on K. Both are in my MA locker already in HD. I ended up upgrading my MA copies to HDR by buying HDR on VUDU which ported to my iTunes where we watched 1 so far.

Debated the K purchase but iTunes streaming HDR > disc bit rate HD. Bummer K is late getting these in HDR.
Two issues pointed out in this post. (1) K is late in getting the movie (who cares why?); (2) K is not participating in MA (who cares why). I had a boss once tell me" "Don't let your problem become my problem" yet that is exactly what K is doing to this (and other) user.

I was an incredibly satisfied K user when BluRay was the go to source. Every issue that they had then (and still have now) could be easily circumvented with the DV700. So EVERY movie I wanted to watch I did so under the Kaleidescape Umbrella. I NEVER had to use my Oppo player. My wife LOVED it and so did I. While I have ripped my movies and can watch them via a Dune, it is the opposite of "wife friendly". Contrary to what one might conclude from my posts, I would love for K to get these issues addressed (including me not losing the ability for me to access a movie if they were to go under) and I would become a user again in a heart beat. I don't know if K reads these forums, but I hope so.

And yes, I know why K doesn't offer a 4K/HDR version of the DV700 ... and it has nothing to do with lack of availability of 4K drives. It is all about their need to get the revenue they do from selling their movie downloads and the DV700 provides a way around that.

Last edited by audioguy; 02-19-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #4369 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 05:34 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I have often wondered why Apple, Vudu, Netflix, or Amazon could not offer bit for bit downloads at a slightly higher price? They all offer the ability to download just not Bit for Bit.
post #4370 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
based on your chart, there is almost no home situation that 8k would relevant for. i suspect that 8k will be more for gaming and VR applications? I’m guessing that projectors will become all 8k just because they can be. 8k i guess reaches our lifetime limit. what will there be left to advance in tv’s at that point? acoustically transparent tv screens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed - to realistically see a difference with a native 8K screen, you’d need native 8k material and sit around half a screen width away. I tried that with my screen and the 2.35 aspect ratio became “uncomfortable” for me at that distance.
post #4371 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t that’s even close to being representative of the majority, and likely is a tiny minority globally. The fastest domestic speed in the UK (and likely most of Europe) is a coupe of hundred Mb/s at max spec (less in real world scenarios), and that’s via cable - fibre is even lower, particularly if sections of it have to use the legacy copper cable network.
I suspect that the case in the majority of the US also.
post #4372 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I have often wondered why Apple, Vudu, Netflix, or Amazon could not offer bit for bit downloads at a slightly higher price? They all offer the ability to download just not Bit for Bit.
I think it’s only a matter of time. The movie streaming market is a few years behind the music streaming market it terms of evolution. If the music market is anything to go by, it’s the convenience that comes first, and then when convenience is saturated, quality starts to become the differentiator (think Tidal, Qobuz etc).
markrubin likes this.
post #4373 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed - to realistically see a difference with a native 8K screen, you’d need native 8k material and sit around half a screen width away. I tried that with my screen and the 2.35 aspect ratio became “uncomfortable” for me at that distance.
4K/HDR for me has been all about HDR and almost none about 4K. My last 3 PJs have been 4K and all up-converted 1080P stuff to 4K. It is hard to tell from my 1.4 seating distance the difference between a real 4K movie and and very well done 1080P movie that has been upconverted by the projector. HDR, on the other hand (particularly on this projector) is a completely different story. I think 8K may be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
post #4374 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it’s only a matter of time. The movie streaming market is a few years behind the music streaming market it terms of evolution. If the music market is anything to go by, it’s the convenience that comes first, and then when convenience is saturated, quality starts to become the differentiator (think Tidal, Qobuz etc).
Excellent point!
post #4375 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
I don’t that’s even close to being representative of the majority, and likely is a tiny minority globally. The fastest domestic speed in the UK (and likely most of Europe) is a coupe of hundred Mb/s at max spec (less in real world scenarios), and that’s via cable - fibre is even lower, particularly if sections of it have to use the legacy copper cable network.
I suspect that the case in the majority of the US also.
I'm in the country I get 100Mb/sec tops, streaming 4K here is a joke and I imagine is for many ,many people. It's UHD discs or downloads like Kaleidescape for me.

Streaming seems to be a nice options for those with high bit rates but I'd like to see the percentage who get 450Mb/sec.

Art
llang269, Montucky and A7mad78 like this.
post #4376 of 4960 Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I'm in the country I get 100Mb/sec tops, streaming 4K here is a joke and I imagine is for many ,many people. It's UHD discs or downloads like Kaleidescape for me.

Streaming seems to be a nice options for those with high bit rates but I'd like to see the percentage who get 450Mb/sec.

Art

I don’t think so the age of K is soon what the provide and the quality of there player build can’t compare with the apple tv so there will be difference even with high speed net and coz I am out the state so UV is not in my concern I hope just that they get all the content ex Nolan in immersive sound and HDR and bring PVOD as they keep there eye on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4377 of 4960 Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5762
Today I made a management decision not to buy any movie from Kscape that lacks digital rights unless it has both HDR video and TrueHD Atmos audio.

I was able to buy The Favourite in UHD video, DD+ 5.1 audio quality from Vudu for $14.99, which is half what I would have had to pay Kscape. I know the Vudu version lacks lossless audio but to my aging eyes at least, streamed 2150P images without HDR look about as good as 1080P images that have been upconverted to 2160P. In the bargain I get to share the movie with my daughter, an option that has now been eliminated from what I get from Kscape. Hope the studios and Movies Anywhere relent but until and unless that happens, I am out on most movies from Kscape that don't come with digital rights.
ccool96, llang269, Aareses and 1 others like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+

Last edited by gwsat; 02-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #4378 of 4960 Old 02-20-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Today I made a management decision not to buy any movie from Kscape that lacks digital rights unless it has both HDR video and TrueHD Atmos audio.

I was able to buy The Favourite in UHD video, DD+ 5.1 audio quality from Vudu for $14.99, which is half what I would have had to pay Kscape. I know the Vudu version lacks lossless audio but to my aging eyes at least, streamed 2150P images without HDR look about as good as 1080P images that have been upconverted to 2160P. In the bargain I get to share the movie with my daughter, an option that has now been eliminated from what I get from Kscape. Hope the studios and Movies Anywhere relent but until and unless that happens, I am out on most movies from Kscape that don't come with digital rights.
Good for you. If more folks would do what you have chosen to do, maybe K would get resolution to some of these issues (and blaming the studios is not the answer even if it is the reason). As I noted previously, "don't let your problem become my problem".
ccool96 and llang269 like this.
post #4379 of 4960 Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Good for you. If more folks would do what you have chosen to do, maybe K would get resolution to some of these issues (and blaming the studios is not the answer even if it is the reason). As I noted previously, "don't let your problem become my problem".
Smart decision! I'm also doing the same, except I'm not buying ANY title from Kaleidescape without digital rights.

On another note, the K-Store used to have a lot of new titles being offered with UV rights. After UV made their announcement, there are very few. Google or look on Vudu for new titles being released with UV rights, then search the K-Store for new titles they are honoring UV rights for, you will find most are now missing. It used to be if a studio offered UV rights, the K-Store would honor it period. Kaleidescape has stated they love digital rights. It seems that may have changed. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look that way anymore.
ccool96 and ddsquire like this.

Last edited by Aareses; 02-20-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #4380 of 4960 Old 02-21-2019, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500

The lack of UV rights isn’t Ks fault. I’ll give them a pass on that. UV will be dead in a couple months. It’s natural that it winds down until then. As soon as the announcement hit, I expected to no longer see UV rights in new releases, which is what is happening.

By stating you’ll not buy from K without digital rights, this means you’re boycotting the store until/unless they get MA. Which is fine. I’m debating doing that myself and using iTunes via Apple TV for my watching in the meantime. As some point I might just make that my standard collecting/viewing means and sell my K.

I encourage folks to not just make your statements here. Email K, tweet them, and go post on the kscapeowners forum where the CEO and other company reps participate. Your boycott doesn’t work if they don’t hear about it.

billygreen23 and ddsquire like this.

Last edited by JaremyP; 02-21-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page