Can anyone comment on the audio & video qualities of the Strato 4K movie server/player vs the Oppo 205 4K UHD bluray player for bluray & 4K UHD movies playbacks? I'm currently using the Oppo 205 strictly for bluray & 4K UHD disc playbacks in my dedicated HT room. My Oppo 205 has a linear power supply upgrade mod for its only digital audio & video circuitry only done by EVS, which made improvements in video & audio qualities over HDMI outs in comparison to the stock switching power supplies of the Oppo 205 used to feed power for its digital audio & video circuitry.
I'm thinking to sell my Oppo 205 and consider the Kaleidescape Strato with a Terra server but at the same time I don't want to compromise the audio & video qualities or and will be looking for better than my Oppo 205 if possible. You can see my HT setup equipments in my signature below. I use my dedicated HT setup strictly for surrounds or HT. I don't listen to stereo music in this dedicated HT room. I do have a separate dedicated reference stereo setup/system in a separate dedicated 2 channel listening room. See my signature below. The Oppo 205 is my only AV source in my dedicated HT room strictly used for bluray & 4K UHD disc playbacks only. I do not stream movies from Apple 4K TV or Netflix or Amazon 4K or Hulu, etc. And I don't have cable DVR.
My dedicated HT setup equipments are as follows :
* Sony 4K ES laser projection.
* Oppo UDP-205 with linear power supply upgrade mod for its digital audio & video circuitry.
* Classe SSP 800 av preamp processor.
* 3 Classe Delta CAM 600 class AB monoblock amps for front LCR speakers.
* 2 Classe Delta CA-2300 classs AB stereo amps for 2 pairs of surround speakers.
* B&W 800 D3 front speakers.
* B&W HTML1 D3 center channel speaker.
* B&W 800 series D3 custom theater (CT) in-wall surround speakers (2 pairs).
* 2 JL Audio Gotham subwoofers.
* 2 Audioquest Niagara 7000 power products for everything except the subs. My 2 JL Audio Gotham subs are plugged directly to a dedicated upgraded wall outlet. All wall outlets and circuit breakers have been upgraded.
* 1 Nordost Valhalla ll HDMI cable to connect an audio only HDMI out of the Oppo 205 to my Classe SSP 800 processor for audio only.
* 1 Transparent Premium HDMI cable to connect a video only HDMI out of the Oppo 205 directly to my Sony ES 4K laser projector for video only.
* Shunyata Research Sigma speaker cables, XLR analog audio interconnects & power cables.
So I split the dual HDMI outputs on my Oppo 205, an audio only HDMI out to my Classe SSP 800 processor for audio only and the other video only HDMI out of the Oppo 205 directly to my Sony 4K ES laser projector for video only (4K, 1080p, etc).
That's pretty much what my dedicated HT setup/system is. So if someone can comment on the audio & video qualities over HDMI outs between the Oppo 205 and the Strato 4K movie server/player.
I'm also considering to get the MSB Reference transport (universal disc transport), which is based on the Oppo 205 transport disc drive and AV or video processing board. MSB also uses Oppo 205 firmware, GUI, OSD & remote control. That's it, everything else are pure MSB all the way. With the MSB Reference transport, MSB designed and built and implement its own ultra low noise linear power supplies in a separate compartment, MSB also designed its own audio clock implementation but they use Oppo 205's video clock. For the audio clock MSB uses its own Femto audio clock design. MSB also designed its own voltage regulator, capacitors, power supply regulator and built its own chassis construction meant to fully isolate mechanical vibrations, which is much superior to the Oppo 205 chassis cobtruction. Overall, only the disc drive transport mechanism and the video board circuitry of the Oppo 203/205 that are unaltered by MSB. Everything else is designed from scratch by MSB. And this MSB Reference transport is only a universal disc transport, no DAC thus no analog audio output stage. It plays 4K UHD, bluray, DVD Video, DVD Audio, SACD, CD discs, just like the Oppo 203/205.
So in the end the audio & video qualities over HDMI outs of this MSB Reference transport will be superior to that of the Oppo 205 due to superior built, power supplies, voltage regulator, audio clock, and overall built construction of the unit. The power supplies are kept in a separate unit. So, what do you think guys? Do you think the improvements in audio & video qualities over HDMI outs will be very noticeable in comparison to the Oppo 205 or the Strato 4K movie server/player?
Stereo setup: MSB Select ll DAC w/ 2 mono powerbases (PSU) & Femto 33 clock; Clearaudio Statement TT w/ Statement Goldfinger cartridge & separate PSU; D'Agostino Momentum phonostage; Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage preamp & NAP S1 monoblock amps; Magico M6.
Home theater: Oppo 205; Classe SSP800; 3 Classe CAM600 & 2 CA2300; B&W 800D3; B&W HTML1 D3; 4 B&W 800 series D3 CT in-wall surrounds; 2 JL Gotham.
Last edited by vivace; 04-15-2019 at 06:31 PM.