Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1747Likes

post #4621 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
No but it could also be part of the next announcement.
LOL I love all this 'cloak and dagger' - was just reporting what had been mentioned over at Kscape Owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
No but it could also be part of the next announcement.
I hope its a big announcement - its been really built up now lol
joerod, adidino and A7mad78 like this.
post #4623 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Shows how much we like our K systems and really want it to accelerate the pace of new features and content to fully realize it’s potential as fast as possible. We are hungry for any news.

It’s also a race against obsolescence for them. All it takes is Apple or VUDU doubling video bit rates and adding lossless audio, and K (for me) is not needed any longer in my home.

Apple UHD HDR and Atmos quality is so close as it is that I try to convince myself to just stick to it fully. In my living room (75” tv and sound bar), it’s plenty good enough. But in the theater where I’ve spent a lot more money and time on gear and setup, it’s a hard sell emotionally still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A7mad78 and ddsquire like this.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4624 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivace View Post
I see. Thanks for the reply though. I only use my Oppo 205 strictly for bluray & 4K UHD disc playbacks only using its HDMI outs to my Classe SSP 800 processor for surround audio and the other HDMI out directly to my 4K display.
Just one caution with that long list you have of great components! The Strato does not do any type of tone mapping for HDR. I’m using a Lumagen Pro with my setup and use its IM and DTM processes for feeding to my projector. You may want to think through that depending on your requirements especially screen size and material.... I also don’t use the second audio output from the Strato. At one point I had issues getting Dolby Atmos from it, but quit using the audio output when I started using costar to integrate my Altos. Others here likely have newer info. SJ
Art Sonneborn likes this.

Last edited by SJHT; 04-16-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #4625 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
A timely post.

Have you ever wondered how Kaleidescape makes movies look so amazing? Great article that explains it! #homecinema https://www.cineluxe.com/kaleidescap...ing-transfers/

This is real interesting; as, whenever I decide to buy titles, I always go to blu-ray.com to see what PQ rating the disc version got and to me, that's an "indicator" of what I may see in the KScape version. Are there examples where there is atrocious-looking PQ on the shiny disc version, but a stellar version on KScape?
post #4626 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
This is real interesting; as, whenever I decide to buy titles, I always go to blu-ray.com to see what PQ rating the disc version got and to me, that's an "indicator" of what I may see in the KScape version. Are there examples where there is atrocious-looking PQ on the shiny disc version, but a stellar version on KScape?
Straight disc to Kscape video comparison, they should be identical. The only time there may be differences is in player setup options that may change the way HDR functions.

The only examples of what you state could occur when Kscape has an UHD HDR version available but that simply has not been released on disc.
post #4627 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Quote:
A timely post.

Have you ever wondered how Kaleidescape makes movies look so amazing? Great article that explains it! #homecinema https://www.cineluxe.com/kaleidescap...ing-transfers/

Really interesting
Don’t know why they don’t market that aspect of it

Last edited by mani; 04-16-2019 at 05:53 PM.
post #4628 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
A timely post.

So the Kscape download and shiny disc should not look identical !!
post #4629 of 4959 Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Peter used to talk about how the Strato actually delivered better sound than disc regardless of format. Less jitter or other things he would state. Not sure I ever understood lol, but the audio delivered is great. SJ
post #4630 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Peter used to talk about how the Strato actually delivered better sound than disc regardless of format. Less jitter or other things he would state. Not sure I ever understood lol, but the audio delivered is great. SJ
Yes, sometimes it was like talking to Q*bert. A bit of a challenge to decode, but usually something interesting lies beneath.

Last edited by G-Rex; 04-17-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #4631 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Straight disc to Kscape video comparison, they should be identical. The only time there may be differences is in player setup options that may change the way HDR functions.

The only examples of what you state could occur when Kscape has an UHD HDR version available but that simply has not been released on disc.
This seems to contradict the article.
post #4632 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Yes, sometimes it was like talking to Q*bert. A bit of a challenge to decode, but usually something interesting lies beneath.
Although I can't prove it with any A-B tests, I sure feel that the KScape audio is usually superior to that of the disc (more discernible than video differences). I've seen some mediocre and sometimes ultra-grainy PQ transfers on KScape's versions but never went to check the disc version (well, i don't have both versions for any of my collection - maybe, one or two).
post #4633 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
This seems to contradict the article.
I guess so. I was just going off what I had been told by a very reputable integrator.

Not that I've done a lot of A/B comparison, but personally I have not noticed a difference between Kscape and discs for the few I have seen on both.
post #4634 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Do we know what the announcement is ?

Art
post #4635 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Just one caution with that long list you have of great components! The Strato does not do any type of tone mapping for HDR. I’m using a Lumagen Pro with my setup and use its IM and DTM processes for feeding to my projector. You may want to think through that depending on your requirements especially screen size and material.... I also don’t use the second audio output from the Strato. At one point I had issues getting Dolby Atmos from it, but quit using the audio output when I started using costar to integrate my Altos. Others here likely have newer info. SJ
Thanks for letting me know. If I end up with the Strato I will keep that in mind. I'm thinking yo get a Lumagen Pro 4K myself for my Oppo UDP 205. I only have the Oppo 205 as my AV or video source in my dedicated HT room.

Stereo setup: MSB Select ll DAC w/ 2 mono powerbases (PSU) & Femto 33 clock; Clearaudio Statement TT w/ Statement Goldfinger cartridge & separate PSU; D'Agostino Momentum phonostage; Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage preamp & NAP S1 monoblock amps; Magico M6.
Home theater: Oppo 205; Classe SSP800; 3 Classe CAM600 & 2 CA2300; B&W 800D3; B&W HTML1 D3; 4 B&W 800 series D3 CT in-wall surrounds; 2 JL Gotham.
post #4636 of 4959 Old 04-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
A timely post.

Another article by the same author, Dennis Burger, at the same web magazine, expressly states that KScape and shiny disc video quality are the same.

https://www.cineluxe.com/streaming-i...than-theaters/

At CEDIA 2017 I was told by KScape that their audio is the same file as on disc.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #4637 of 4959 Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Another article by the same author, Dennis Burger, at the same web magazine, expressly states that KScape and shiny disc video quality are the same.

At CEDIA 2017 I was told by KScape that their audio is the same file as on disc.

This jibes with all I've heard over the years only difference is that kaleidescape does not always offer immersive audio initially which I'm still trying to figure out.

Art
post #4638 of 4959 Old 04-18-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Kaleidescape "retrofit"?

Quote:
...All it takes is Apple or VUDU doubling video bit rates and adding lossless audio, and K (for me) is not needed any longer in my home...
I have been interested to pursue the Kscape system as the ultimate way to serve my HT. The ease-of-use and movie store selections are awesome, and there is little doubt in my mind that if I were starting a viewing collection from scratch that Kscape is the way I would go. But honestly with only a few dozen movies that I'd like but don't own, or are curious about given they are in "the top couple hundred of all time" i.e. AFI or IMDB lists, I just can't rationalize the investment for GUI & convenience alone.

So IMO while the Kscape is wonderful for brand-spanking-new Home Theater applications, it doesn't work for retrofits unless someone is so very wealthy that they are willing to give-away the thousands of discs already acquired. Yes I know "upgrading" at the K-store is an option, but so also is just plugging-and-playing to existing gear.

I'm rooting for Kscape but it seems that's all I will do; I do hope they can survive with the limited market they have.

p.s. and oh by the way for anyone here who has Anything to do with Hollywood: well your new products mostly suck!
post #4639 of 4959 Old 04-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I didn't see where it states that "expressly."
post #4640 of 4959 Old 04-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I didn't see where it states that "expressly."
Mere semantics. quotes from the article:

"And mind you, I’m not saying that such streaming formats are perfect. Consider the fact that your typical 4K movie, which is only compressed down to roughly 250 megabits per second at your local cineplex, is squeezed into a 15- or 20-megabit-per-second pipe for Vudu streaming. It’s pretty obvious that something is lost along the information superhighway. (A UHD Blu-ray release or Kaleidescape download, by the way, runs at more along the lines of 60 to 100 mbps)."

"In his most recent post, our own John Sciacca made the point that Kaleidescape is the only sure-fire way of ensuring that you enjoy the absolute best picture and sound that you can at home, short of buying UHD Blu-ray discs. That’s absolutely true. No arguments from me on that point. If nothing less than audiovisual perfection will suffice, streaming hasn’t reached that level
. . . yet."

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1158431 No dealer is authorized to tell you I refer to them - any referrals I make will be done personally by me. Over the years I have found certain dealer(s) who I cannot recommend for good reason.
! 9.4.13 Trinnov Altitude 32 Theatre renovation/upgrade starts end of July 2019!
post #4641 of 4959 Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3326
Quote:
"In his most recent post, our own John Sciacca made the point that Kaleidescape is the only sure-fire way of ensuring that you enjoy the absolute best picture and sound that you can at home, short of buying UHD Blu-ray discs. That’s absolutely true. No arguments from me on that point. If nothing less than audiovisual perfection will suffice, streaming hasn’t reached that level
. . . yet."
I don't know how many have done a blind compare on either the audio or video of a disc vs the streamed version (I have not), but the video is REALLY close. And I suspect with a Lumagen in the path, it is even closer. And at least to my ears, and for many movies, the audio is quite good. And while I have my personal issues with K (and won't again buy into their products), I don't see many of their clients bailing even if streaming gets better. The K experience really is unmatched. And if the K shortcomings that bother me have not bothered them, I don't see that changing. And while Apple could most certainly provide much of what the K experience does, I have no reason to believe they will. They don't need to.
post #4642 of 4959 Old 04-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Question: are there any DIY projects for controlling and interacting with the Kaleidescape system? My googling didn't find anything in particular and GitHub only had one project used to find the IP address on the network.

I'm asking because I'd love to have a display that shows what movie is currently playing inside the Home Theater. Something like a digital marquee outside the entrance. The Kaleidescape Control Protocols Manual describes everything that would be required, but before I invest time coding anything, I want to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel.

Another fun thing that could be done is sending out an SMS message whenever a movie is started. Seems useful to those of us who have kids and don't want to bother with parental controls. Big brother--(aka daddy)--is watching you!

If you know of a forum or place where I should poke my nose into, please kindly point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Abstract yourself!
post #4643 of 4959 Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
Question: are there any DIY projects for controlling and interacting with the Kaleidescape system? My googling didn't find anything in particular and GitHub only had one project used to find the IP address on the network.

I'm asking because I'd love to have a display that shows what movie is currently playing inside the Home Theater. Something like a digital marquee outside the entrance. The Kaleidescape Control Protocols Manual describes everything that would be required, but before I invest time coding anything, I want to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel.
I believe http://www.movieposterapp.com has a plugin for Kaleidescape.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-th...-software.html
bjorg, markrubin and Montucky like this.
post #4644 of 4959 Old 04-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could someone answer a couple questions for me looking to add a Strata S to my theater setup.

- is there a way to convert some of my currently owned movies either in disk or digital form to the Strata for viewing?

- once a purchase is made from the K-scape store, do I have access to a digital version.

Thanks.
post #4645 of 4959 Old 04-20-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBHT2002 View Post
That looks like a great match! Thanks!

Abstract yourself!
post #4646 of 4959 Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBHT2002 View Post
I have a couple clients that have implemented this solution. Pretty cool for sure.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
post #4647 of 4959 Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive821 View Post
Could someone answer a couple questions for me looking to add a Strata S to my theater setup.

- is there a way to convert some of my currently owned movies either in disk or digital form to the Strata for viewing?

- once a purchase is made from the K-scape store, do I have access to a digital version.

Thanks.
The only downloads for a Strato must come from the K store. If you own the digital rights to your movies and that digital license is honored by K and the specific studio (only UV at this time), then you can download for free. Certain movies from K come with UV which would give you the digital rights to view elsewhere, but with UV phasing out, this is going to be less. At some point it is likely that K will get MA, but nothing has been announced. Also, K does honor certain titles with disc to digital, but there is a cost for this....
gwsat likes this.
post #4648 of 4959 Old 04-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
The only downloads for a Strato must come from the K store. If you own the digital rights to your movies and that digital license is honored by K and the specific studio (only UV at this time), then you can download for free. Certain movies from K come with UV which would give you the digital rights to view elsewhere, but with UV phasing out, this is going to be less. At some point it is likely that K will get MA, but nothing has been announced. Also, K does honor certain titles with disc to digital, but there is a cost for this....
Now that I am renovating and making room for Mid-Atlantic racks at the back of my theatre, more room to consider KScape. Question - I have lots of 4k discs, most are on Ultraviolet as well (which closes this summer) and most all are on MoviesAnywhere.

Any info on whether KScape will be getting MoviesAnywhere other than hopeful supposition?

If I get KScape BEFORE Ultraviolet closes can I then download from KScape all of my Ultraviolet movies at no cost? Or do the downloaded movies vanish, even if I have downloaded them, once Ultraviolet closes?

Is there a weblink or can you give examples of movies that KScape honors with disc to digital?

Thanks.

post #4649 of 4959 Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Now that I am renovating and making room for Mid-Atlantic racks at the back of my theatre, more room to consider KScape. Question - I have lots of 4k discs, most are on Ultraviolet as well (which closes this summer) and most all are on MoviesAnywhere.

Any info on whether KScape will be getting MoviesAnywhere other than hopeful supposition?

If I get KScape BEFORE Ultraviolet closes can I then download from KScape all of my Ultraviolet movies at no cost? Or do the downloaded movies vanish, even if I have downloaded them, once Ultraviolet closes?

Is there a weblink or can you give examples of movies that KScape honors with disc to digital?

Thanks.
Here is what I know - others can add their insights.

As you are probably aware, Kaleidescape has a policy to not release information in advance. They have said they are pursuing Movies Anywhere, and they have said that MA is being on-boarded first for large services. That's about al I have heard. Bottom line - we don't know what will happen with MA.

I believe you can still download UV movies - but obviously not for long! This is a good reason for people that are pretty confident they want to go Kscape to do so now. UV downloaded movies will remain on our system when UV closes. I assume you have already linked your UV account to all the large service providers (e.g., Vudu and Fandango).

You can see if a movie is supported for Disc to Digital on the information pages in the Movie Store. For example, An Officer and a Gentleman was recently added from Paramount's back catalog and it is marked as having Disc to Digital (same with Rambo from Lionsgate, 2001 from Warner, and Wolverine from Fox). Usually new releases do not have Disc to Digital.

BTW - I love my Kaleidescape system!
post #4650 of 4959 Old 04-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Kaleidescape will disconnect from UltraViolet services on May 31, 2019. You will need to buy a system before then, but yeah all your UV movies (that K has UV rights to) would port indefinitely to K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page